PDA

View Full Version : I fear for the club unless Eade goes

always right
30-05-2011, 09:32 AM
The abysmal attendance by bulldogs supporters at yesterday's "season defining" match reminded me what a knife's edge this club sits on. A twilight scheduling doesn't do us any favours but I suspect a lot of our supporters found that to be a convenient excuse not to muster up enough motivation to attend after last week's display.

After years of disappointment I expect many supporters won't re-new their memberships next year. At the very least I think we can expect a significant number won't retain their social club upgrade. The impact this will have on our balance sheet is likely to be dramatic.

Regardless of how we rate Eade's performance as coach, I think the potential impact on membership will dictate that Eade has to go. Clubs like ours survive on hope.....the hope that premiership success is just around the corner. The mood amongst our supporters is dark and to head into next season with the status quo simply isn't an option. A change of coach is not necessarily the answer to our woes but supporters will want something to hang their hopes on. A new coach with a new gameplan can provide such hope...no matter how unrealistic it might be.

Thanks Rocket. You've been great for our club but we must part ways at the end of the season.

comrade
30-05-2011, 09:52 AM
It's a delicate one for our administration to manage but making decisions based on member sentiment is a very dangerous game to play.

w3design
30-05-2011, 10:02 AM
While Rocket and the club may part ways at the end of the season, or sooner, if we cop of few more floggings, to attribute our supporters non-attendance to his being coach of the club is drawing a very long bow. We still had 8,000 members missing at the start of the season when we were widely tipped to take home the bickies.

Curly5
30-05-2011, 10:09 AM
Eade should not go. We will need his expertise to rebuild our team after the culling of a bunch of senior players at season's end (or sooner - Hall?). The club will be fine in spite of fickle supporters/members who think they should have more influence than they do.

bornadog
30-05-2011, 10:11 AM
Another thread on the coach must go.

The Club will make a proper assessment at the end of the year, full stop.

The Pie Man
30-05-2011, 10:22 AM
I get the vibe of the thread - Hawthorn fans outnumbered us yesterday, as did Richmond the other week......but what if we have a 2005 like close to the season?

I liked reading that Eade took a more upbeat approach with the squad after quarter time yesterday - not one for the highlight reel, but we did play a lot better in the 2nd half. While I can't see that translating to a W in Geelong, I hope we continue to build some momentum.

On a side note - it's games the quality of yesterday that will drive people away. In parts, that was as boring as the St Kilda v Dogs farce from early last year. Hawthorn play keepings off pretty well, but it's just so boring to watch.

Grantysghost
30-05-2011, 10:47 AM
The 20000 or so who turn up regardless will still be there, sacking Eade is not the answer to fair weather supporters they will remain long after he's gone.

A dogs life
30-05-2011, 11:13 AM
While Rocket and the club may part ways at the end of the season, or sooner, if we cop of few more floggings, to attribute our supporters non-attendance to his being coach of the club is drawing a very long bow. We still had 8,000 members missing at the start of the season when we were widely tipped to take home the bickies.

I do not think he was saying that they did not turn up because of Rocket, it was more so that how fickle our supporters can be and if we just play out the season and then go into next season with Rocket a lot will drop of as they will not see any changes or hope.
I know you should not get rid of a coach because of the supporters but they do come into the decision making when it is going to have major effect on the finances.
I love Eade but I think his time is up & bring in Cameron.

The Coon Dog
30-05-2011, 11:14 AM
I can see where you're coming from AR, but its almost akin to x number of disgruntled members who may or may not renew their memberships holding the club to ransom.

Playing devils advocate, what if a new coach fails to translate the hopes of those disenfranchised members?

LostDoggy
30-05-2011, 11:31 AM
The abysmal attendance by bulldogs supporters at yesterday's "season defining" match reminded me what a knife's edge this club sits on. A twilight scheduling doesn't do us any favours but I suspect a lot of our supporters found that to be a convenient excuse not to muster up enough motivation to attend after last week's display.

After years of disappointment I expect many supporters won't re-new their memberships next year. At the very least I think we can expect a significant number won't retain their social club upgrade. The impact this will have on our balance sheet is likely to be dramatic.

How many "season defining games" does that make it for the year???

Saying that supporters will not be around next year is a bit off target considering the club has only one Premiership and the supporters keep hanging around. Do you know of anyone who has actually switched to support another team due to them being sick and tired of the Dogs lack of success?
I'm sure we'll all tune into next weeks season defining game.

always right
30-05-2011, 12:00 PM
My support for the club is unconditional and I hate even suggesting that the prospect of membership dropping away should be a factor in re-appointing the coach.

This is a big test for the club. Are they strong enough to withstand the pressure building amongst members? I agree that they shouldn't allow members to hold them to ransom.
I just wonder whether come the end of the season if the board are in two minds as to which direction they should take, this becomes a deciding factor.

My father wrote a letter to the club after the Westcoast game. He is 80 years of age. To his surprise he received a phone call from Smorgon. That could be put down to Smorgon being Smorgon....not too precious that he can't pick up the phone and have a chat to a long term member. I suspect however that he senses the precarious position the club finds itself in.

Scraggers
30-05-2011, 12:43 PM
Clubs like ours survive on hope.....the hope that premiership success is just around the corner.

Whilst I understand your POV, I disagree ... To me, Eade is our best hope. And Whilst a 3 - 6 start is bloody terrible (based on our expectations), this season is not over.

What we all have to do is sit back and look at our expectations ... Thanks to Eade et al., we now expect to be playing finals football; it wasn't all that long ago that we were expecting 4 - 5 wins a year (Peter Rhode I"m looking directly at you !!).

To make the big dance, you have to continually play finals football ... Our time will be sooner rather than later ... We have to stay the course.

bornadog
30-05-2011, 12:48 PM
My father wrote a letter to the club after the Westcoast game. He is 80 years of age. To his surprise he received a phone call from Smorgon. That could be put down to Smorgon being Smorgon....not too precious that he can't pick up the phone and have a chat to a long term member. I suspect however that he senses the precarious position the club finds itself in.

That was reported in The Age today.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/dogs-wont-spill-blood-smorgon-20110529-1faxb.html

I wrote to Simon Garlick with my concerns durinmg the week and Simon rang me on Friday. He basically said the club is behind Rocket, they will not make any rash decisions about the coach during the season and they will do a thorough review at the end of the year. If they decide to go with a new coach, they will ensure proper practise is in place in order to get the best coach for the club.

w3design
30-05-2011, 01:28 PM
I do not think he was saying that they did not turn up because of Rocket, it was more so that how fickle our supporters can be and if we just play out the season and then go into next season with Rocket a lot will drop of as they will not see any changes or hope.
I know you should not get rid of a coach because of the supporters but they do come into the decision making when it is going to have major effect on the finances.
I love Eade but I think his time is up & bring in Cameron.

Sure, accepted. It isn't Rocket I am disgusted with though, it is our senior players. I half agree with Akermanis, our leadership group is a shambles.

Ghost Dog
30-05-2011, 01:49 PM
My support for the club is unconditional and I hate even suggesting that the prospect of membership dropping away should be a factor in re-appointing the coach.

This is a big test for the club. Are they strong enough to withstand the pressure building amongst members? I agree that they shouldn't allow members to hold them to ransom.
I just wonder whether come the end of the season if the board are in two minds as to which direction they should take, this becomes a deciding factor.

Were you surprised as well? How did you feel when he called your dad?

always right
30-05-2011, 01:52 PM
That was reported in The Age today.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/dogs-wont-spill-blood-smorgon-20110529-1faxb.html

Wow...I had no idea he was mentioned in The Age. He'll be delighted...he hates The Age:D

GVGjr
30-05-2011, 01:53 PM
It's a delicate one for our administration to manage but making decisions based on member sentiment is a very dangerous game to play.
It's been done before though and I can see it happening again with Eade.

The good part is that there will be a review and it isn't easy to replace someone of Eades standing.

The driving question should be around if Eade can get the side to a GF in the next 2 years and despite the fact that a lot of things aren't directly within his control it's still not an easy call to make.

Smorgons comments early in the year have done him no favors.

always right
30-05-2011, 01:56 PM
Were you surprised as well? How did you feel when he called your dad?

A little surprised but have to say my father wrote a very well expressed letter...no ranting and raving demanding the heads of the players. I might post it here if I can get hold of it.

I wrote a letter to the club back during Wallace's tenure as coach. Received a phone call from Paul Armstrong who was the footy manager at the time...on behalf of Wallace. My father has certainly upped the ante getting the Pres to respond.

Ghost Dog
30-05-2011, 02:06 PM
A little surprised but have to say my father wrote a very well expressed letter...no ranting and raving demanding the heads of the players. I might post it here if I can get hold of it.

I wrote a letter to the club back during Wallace's tenure as coach. Received a phone call from Paul Armstrong who was the footy manager at the time...on behalf of Wallace. My father has certainly upped the ante getting the Pres to respond.

Cool, interesting. So the general nature of the letter was to express concern? can you remember any of the main points? if you would like to share.

always right
30-05-2011, 02:13 PM
Cool, interesting. So the general nature of the letter was to express concern? can you remember any of the main points? if you would like to share.

Difficult to quote the detail but he wrote about how long he had been following the club ever since his days growing up in Yarraville. He spoke about the pride he had in the club and the huge steps he has seen it take off-field over recent times. He mentioned how his love had extended throughout his children and his grandchildren despite them having no ties to the western suburbs. Finally he explained how "sad" he was to realise that he was an old man now and that he would probably never see his club win another premiership. Whilst he was alive when we won inn 1954, he was working in Sydney.

I wish the players read his letter. Unfortunately it's a sad reality that supporters love their club more than its players.

chef
30-05-2011, 02:23 PM
There would be a chance Eade might not want to be here next year.

The Coon Dog
30-05-2011, 02:32 PM
There would be a chance Eade might not want to be here next year.

Not according to this:

Eade keen to stay a Dog (http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=9312)

LostDoggy
30-05-2011, 03:07 PM
Always Right,

I agree with you in as far as our results so far this season will have a financial impact on membership revenue for the club next year.

I am a long time member who choose to upgrade to Social Club over the last three seasons, purely on the basis to have guaranteed access to purchase GF tickets.

Regardless of our result this year I will renew my membership, however will consider carefully the benefit of a social club upgrade considering I don't used any of the other entitlements (or even know what they are for that matter).

As far as Rockets tenure as coach, I am still on the fence. I honestly believe we have the individual players to compete and win regularly and I don't believe we need to rebuild.

Yes we have injuries and players out of form, however collectively as a team we look second rate. Is it the coach, the game plan or a collective mental fragility amongst the players.

I have no idea, however perhaps a different message from a different person may be the answer.

IIRC, Gilbee was on the verge of leaving prior to Eade arriving and was convinced to stay and flourished under the new guidance and leadership. It is possible that Eade has now lost more players than are with him?, it happened at Sydney.

There is no doubt in my mind that Eade is a great coach and other than perhaps a Paul Roos, I don't know who else is out there that I would feel immediately comfortable in turning this group around.

It a new game this week and perhaps it will be our turning point.

bornadog
30-05-2011, 03:22 PM
It a new game this week and perhaps it will be our turning point.

Geelong, undefeated 'so far this year and haven't lost at Kardinia Park for the past 25 games.

Ghost Dog
30-05-2011, 03:32 PM
Difficult to quote the detail but he wrote about how long he had been following the club ever since his days growing up in Yarraville. He spoke about the pride he had in the club and the huge steps he has seen it take off-field over recent times. He mentioned how his love had extended throughout his children and his grandchildren despite them having no ties to the western suburbs. Finally he explained how "sad" he was to realise that he was an old man now and that he would probably never see his club win another premiership. Whilst he was alive when we won inn 1954, he was working in Sydney.

I wish the players read his letter. Unfortunately it's a sad reality that supporters love their club more than its players.

Hey, thanks for that. Interesting reading. Sorry for your father. Still, as you say, he seems pretty balanced in his views. Did he enjoy the chat to Smorgo?
In some ways I feel sad we are not performing as well as we had hoped. In others, maybe it's just the kick up the butt we need. Thus is sport.

LostDoggy
30-05-2011, 03:40 PM
How is it all the coaches fault?

chef
30-05-2011, 03:48 PM
Not according to this:

Eade keen to stay a Dog (http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=9312)

Who knows what could happen before the end of the year, a wealthy club could go after him with a longer term,more $$$ and more support staff. It's going to be a very long 4 months.

chef
30-05-2011, 03:49 PM

His squad and his game plan. If players aren't following his direction or performing at an elite level then he should be picking them

Ghost Dog
30-05-2011, 03:49 PM
Who knows what could happen before the end of the year, a wealthy club could go after him with a longer term,more $$$ and more support staff. It's going to be a very long 4 months.

As if. rocket is old school. he stays the course.

chef
30-05-2011, 03:54 PM
As if. rocket is old school. he stays the course.

Don't be so naive.

LostDoggy
30-05-2011, 03:57 PM
Geelong, undefeated 'so far this year and haven't lost at Kardinia Park for the past 25 games.

Sounds like they are due

LostDoggy
30-05-2011, 04:11 PM
Unless there are internal problems between the board and the coach I'd stick with Eade. History is littered with clubs that turf a coach at the first sign of trouble, clubs that stick fat in the hard times are harder to find but thats what strong clubs do. Culture is a word bandied about a lot - are we a Richmond or a Geelong?

Scraggers
30-05-2011, 04:15 PM
Sounds like they are due

I like your thinking

always right
30-05-2011, 04:16 PM

Never said it was. My point is that at a club like ours, there are other factors that might be taken into account when appointing a coach....and a major one is the financial implication.

LostDoggy
30-05-2011, 04:43 PM
His squad and his game plan. If players aren't following his direction or performing at an elite level then he should be picking them

What makes you so sure that with a new coach things will be better?

LostDoggy
30-05-2011, 04:58 PM
Never said it was. My point is that at a club like ours, there are other factors that might be taken into account when appointing a coach....and a major one is the financial implication.

Im also talking about the fall in memberships and attendances too. It's not all the coaches fault. Many left pre season before the bad performances this year.
A new coach together with a new game style and new list may mean we will bottom out before going forward. We dropped off fast and everything new may not mean we will catch up quick. Unless we get a huge name coming with their huge ego and huge pay packet, is it going to be that hopeful?

chef
30-05-2011, 05:09 PM

I'm not sure but somethings got to give IMO, whether thats the coach or the list is yet to be seen.

GVGjr
30-05-2011, 06:07 PM
Another thread on the coach must go.

The Club will make a proper assessment at the end of the year, full stop.
I can't see your issue with this as the OP is reasoned and with non emotive detail

bornadog
30-05-2011, 06:22 PM
I can't see your issue with this as the OP is reasoned and with non emotive detail

The only issue is discussing the same old thing. Here are two other threads in the past two weeks.

http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=9295&highlight=coach

http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=9215&highlight=coach

GVGjr
30-05-2011, 06:27 PM
The only issue is discussing the same old thing. Here are two other threads in the past two weeks.

And the point of difference is that relates to the crowd attendance of yesterdays game.
The subject is not taboo and I don't think it should be howled down.

G-Mo77
30-05-2011, 06:28 PM

Like it or not our coach is out of contract at the end of the year and our team is struggling. It's going to be a hot topic for the remainder of the season.

bornadog
30-05-2011, 06:33 PM
And the point of difference is that relates to the crowd attendance of yesterdays game.
The subject is not taboo and I don't think it should be howled down.

No one is howling it down I was just making an observation that we have another thread on the coach.

always right
30-05-2011, 06:44 PM
No one is howling it down I was just making an observation that we have another thread on the coach.

I wasn't trying to make it another "sack the coach" thread. I was more intent on exploring the fact that our club has different considerations to take into account when making such a decision. One of the challenges our club will always face. If it should have been rolled into a previous thread then fair enough but it's not the end of the world is it?

bornadog
30-05-2011, 06:47 PM
I wasn't trying to make it another "sack the coach" thread. I was more intent on exploring the fact that our club has different considerations to take into account when making such a decision. One of the challenges our club will always face. If it should have been rolled into a previous thread then fair enough but it's not the end of the world is it?

No its not, but GVGjr brought it up so I commented. Your thread heading is misleading.

LostDoggy
30-05-2011, 07:25 PM
My father wrote a letter to the club after the Westcoast game. He is 80 years of age.

What does he have to complain about, at least he's seen the Dogs win a flag. :D

ReLoad
30-05-2011, 07:44 PM
I think its very important to realise that every team is in a cycle, and we're just coming out of ours, 3 Prelims, that was our crack at it, and realistically we have had our roll of the dice, now its time to reload and rebuild, the question to me is, how long will that take, and is the current staff capable of doing that?

As for the calls for Leon Cameron to be coach, What makes him the perfect candidate? considering he has been overlooked for half a dozen senior positions elsewhere?

I would personally prefer a more balanced approach with more and better assistants, Simon Goodwin for example has had a huge impact at Essendon, where there has been no expense spared.

Eade is fantastic tactically, and he's blooding plenty of youngsters right now, but as we all realise, blooding youngsters = pain.

AndrewP6
30-05-2011, 07:54 PM
I wrote to Simon Garlick with my concerns durinmg the week and Simon rang me on Friday. He basically said the club is behind Rocket, they will not make any rash decisions about the coach during the season and they will do a thorough review at the end of the year. If they decide to go with a new coach, they will ensure proper practise is in place in order to get the best coach for the club.

IMO this is great for the club to make personal calls like this, rather than just a standard "Thank you for your feedback" letter. Very impressive. Do other posters have similar stories of direct contact being made? When I was a kid, my dad got me into the rooms to meet players, and for a while, the Demons became my "2nd team":eek:. Got a letter and a watch from Ron Barrassi, which I was chuffed with at the time.

kruder
30-05-2011, 08:47 PM
I think its very important to realise that every team is in a cycle, and we're just coming out of ours, 3 Prelims, that was our crack at it, and realistically we have had our roll of the dice, now its time to reload and rebuild, the question to me is, how long will that take, and is the current staff capable of doing that?

As for the calls for Leon Cameron to be coach, What makes him the perfect candidate? considering he has been overlooked for half a dozen senior positions elsewhere?

I would personally prefer a more balanced approach with more and better assistants, Simon Goodwin for example has had a huge impact at Essendon, where there has been no expense spared.

Eade is fantastic tactically, and he's blooding plenty of youngsters right now, but as we all realise, blooding youngsters = pain.

Are you serious? What change in the game plan over the last 3-4 years would make you say that?

always right
30-05-2011, 08:59 PM
What does he have to complain about, at least he's seen the Dogs win a flag. :D

No he hasn't. In 1954 he was working briefly in Sydney and learned the dogs had won the premiership when he picked up the first edition of the Melbourne paper early Sunday morning.

Mantis
30-05-2011, 09:08 PM
Are you serious? What change in the game plan over the last 3-4 years would make you say that?

Do we really need to go through this again?

You don't make 3 successive PF's by not being able to coach or change with the times.

Topdog
30-05-2011, 09:18 PM

You don't make 3 successive PF's by not being able to coach or change with the times.

And even if he didn't change for 3 years that would mean that he was tactically ahead of his time for those 3 years.

And before you say maybe the game has past him by, if he has adapted before there is no reason to say he won't adapt again. Look at Malthouse.

Rocco Jones
30-05-2011, 09:24 PM

Totally agree. I hate being in the 'questioning whether we should keep Eade' group because I'm surrounded by people who are so harsh/don't appreciate what he has done for the club.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

bornadog, you have a go at the thread being created but I like the discussion that the OP is bringing. Do we factor in membership reaction? No doubt in my mind that the way things are looking, sacking Eade would help out with membership numbers for next year.

I definitely would not go down that path for two reasons:

1/ The obvious letting the inmates run the asylum kind of thinking.

2/ If we make a different decision to one we believe to be the best due to seeking membership approval, it will ironically end up hurting membership base when our fan base get even more pissed off when they find out we hire a coach who isn't as good as Eade.

The OP has raised a very interesting issue and I look forward to both sides putting emotion side to discuss it.

Rocco Jones
30-05-2011, 09:27 PM
And even if he didn't change for 3 years that he would that he was tactically ahead of his time for those 3 years.

And before you say maybe the game has past him by, if he has adapted before there is no reason to say he won't adapt again. Look at Malthouse.

Totally agree.

I admit to being a tad emotional over the last few weeks and not paying Eade the respect he deserves for the great work he has done for the club. Once again, while I think Eade's spot should be well and truly on the line, I do believe his 'haters' have aspiration mixed up with desperation.

GVGjr
30-05-2011, 09:57 PM

To me this is not a question of if Eade can coach as he has a clearly demonstrated track record. His coaching credentials are very strong and we would be hard pressed to find someone with a better demonstrated performance.

The question is more about Eade's ability to take the club to a grand final within the next two years and if he has the list to do it?
Lets face it, he isn't going to be offered a 3 year deal.

Port were struggling with a similar dilemma a couple of years back and were faced with making a hard call on a very successful coach who took them to a premiership but ultimately they had doubts on his ability to get the club back on track.
They reviewed the pro's and cons of all the likely candidates and they kept coming back to the fact that they already had a successful coach.

The problem for Port, and one that I hope we don't experience, was that it quickly became evident after signing him up again for 2 years that Williams couldn't take the group further and the scrutiny of the media, sponsors and fans became too much for the club and they had to move him on an wear all the problems/costs that go along with terminating a coaching contract mid season.
Port, who like us are not not flush with funds, are still struggling with getting a couple of those big decisions wrong and it has set them back for a number of years.

It's a massive decision for our club despite having a terrific coach already in the position.
If the group finishes the season off strongly and gets back to playing the type of football we nearly all believed it is capable of then the decision is an easy one.
If we limp through the balance of the season then the Port experience comes into play and the decision to reappoint becomes increasingly more difficult.

Remi Moses
30-05-2011, 10:28 PM
Why we don't just have a reality TV show to appoint a new coach!
If the club are worrying about membership if keeping Rocket or ditching him, we might as well just pack up the tent right now!
This will come to fruition towards the end of the season.
I'm sure we'll have at least 20 more threads on the coach

A dogs life
30-05-2011, 10:30 PM
No he hasn't. In 1954 he was working briefly in Sydney and learned the dogs had won the premiership when he picked up the first edition of the Melbourne paper early Sunday morning.
Surely he could have caught the first DC3 out of Sydney on saturday morning then flown back up Saturday night.:rolleyes:

westbulldog
30-05-2011, 11:13 PM

I agree entirely with Chops. The current form malaise is not a product of Rodney Eade's coaching but a combination of several important players being injured or unfit, introducing many young players to the team and a disappointing lack of application in some cases.

I doubt if anyone would argue that Ron Barassi was not a great coach however his record illustrates that if you "haven't got the cattle"" you simply don't win.
From 1993 to 1995 he coached the Sydney Swans to 13 wins and 45 losses.

It is a cop out just to sack a coach when things get a little tough.

LostDoggy
30-05-2011, 11:34 PM
It's a massive decision for our club despite having a terrific coach already in the position. If the group finishes the season off strongly and gets back to playing the type of football we nearly all believed it is capable of then the decision is an easy one. If we limp through the balance of the season then the Port experience comes into play and the decision to reappoint becomes increasingly more difficult.

This is a fantastic post, Gary, and brings a new and very relevant dimension to the discussion. There may be some very difficult discussions and decisions in the coming months, depending on the remainder of the season, but there is certainly no need to be rash one way or another.

Hotdog60
30-05-2011, 11:41 PM
I think our problems lie in our list, you can only work with so much. We seem to have a list of talented players of which a few are now aging. We don't have the type of player that can come out and drag us over the line, or when we are on top really stick the boots in and go in for the kill. Cooney could have been this type of player but looks to have had he's wings clipped, at trade time it does become a bit of a lucky dip you know you've managed to get that talented kid but will he become a Chris Judd or a Jonathan Brown.
We don't seem to get that lucky in the last 20 years.

bornadog
30-05-2011, 11:47 PM
We don't seem to get that lucky in the last 20 years.

Have you forgotten some of the great players we have had over the past 20 years?

Ghost Dog
31-05-2011, 12:03 AM
I agree entirely with Chops. The current form malaise is not a product of Rodney Eade's coaching but a combination of several important players being injured or unfit, introducing many young players to the team and a disappointing lack of application in some cases.

I doubt if anyone would argue that Ron Barassi was not a great coach however his record illustrates that if you "haven't got the cattle"" you simply don't win.
From 1993 to 1995 he coached the Sydney Swans to 13 wins and 45 losses.

It is a cop out just to sack a coach when things get a little tough.

In general, agreed.

But, It can also be a cop out to say " oh we don't have the cattle". Are we utilizing our resources as best we can?
Essendon are an example here. Not an expert on Essendon but not a greatly changed list since last year. Am I wrong?

The success of Sydney 2005 and Saint Kilda for the past three years demonstrated a team over individual approach that got every last ounce out of itself.
Play tough, tight and clean, week in week out and even without a Cyril Rioli or a Daisy Thomas, you'll win more than you lose. You might even entertain your supporters. We are a much better side than we show at the moment IMO.

Hotdog60
31-05-2011, 12:04 AM
Have you forgotten some of the great players we have had over the past 20 years?

I know we have had some great stars Grant, Hawkins, Wynd, Wallis etc. Don't get me wrong we have had the talent but the sides that have won the premierships seem to have an x factor that always rises to the top when needed.

bornadog
31-05-2011, 12:09 AM
I know we have had some great stars Grant, Hawkins, Wynd, Wallis etc. Don't get me wrong we have had the talent but the sides that have won the premierships seem to have an x factor that always rises to the top when needed.

Personally, I think the teams that win premierships have luck with injury for the year, have a settled side and play as a team.

We have had injury to key players, we haven't been settled at all, probably contributed to by the injuries and we are not playing as a team.

Ghost Dog
31-05-2011, 12:24 AM
To me this is not a question of if Eade can coach as he has a clearly demonstrated track record. His coaching credentials are very strong and we would be hard pressed to find someone with a better demonstrated performance.

The question is more about Eade's ability to take the club to a grand final within the next two years and if he has the list to do it?
Lets face it, he isn't going to be offered a 3 year deal.

Port were struggling with a similar dilemma a couple of years back and were faced with making a hard call on a very successful coach who took them to a premiership but ultimately they had doubts on his ability to get the club back on track.
They reviewed the pro's and cons of all the likely candidates and they kept coming back to the fact that they already had a successful coach.

The problem for Port, and one that I hope we don't experience, was that it quickly became evident after signing him up again for 2 years that Williams couldn't take the group further and the scrutiny of the media, sponsors and fans became too much for the club and they had to move him on an wear all the problems/costs that go along with terminating a coaching contract mid season.
Port, who like us are not not flush with funds, are still struggling with getting a couple of those big decisions wrong and it has set them back for a number of years.

It's a massive decision for our club despite having a terrific coach already in the position.
If the group finishes the season off strongly and gets back to playing the type of football we nearly all believed it is capable of then the decision is an easy one.
If we limp through the balance of the season then the Port experience comes into play and the decision to reappoint becomes increasingly more difficult.

Interesting post GVG, and the comparison to Port is a good one.

Might I add, what has cost port is their inability to install a leadership group of quality.
I refer to Motlop and the rest. Most fans will blame the coach before the players,
but a new coach has not solved their problems greatly on field and many point the finger at their older players.

We also have question marks over our leadership group, as it opens up vacancies
and waits for a few ekers or a youngster to step up to the plate.

LostDoggy
31-05-2011, 01:18 AM
Personally, I think the teams that win premierships have luck with injury for the year, have a settled side and play as a team.

We have had injury to key players, we haven't been settled at all, probably contributed to by the injuries and we are not playing as a team.

Bang on.
The teams that do well are the teams with a lot of consistancy and luck on their side.

LostDoggy
31-05-2011, 10:14 AM
I think its very important to realise that every team is in a cycle,

Wake me when we get onto Geelongs cycle.
Last 7 seasons they have made the finals 6 times, have had 6 top 4 finishes, 4 top 2 finishes, 2 preliminary finals, 4 Grand finals, and Two Premierships.
This year they might slip to second place behind Collingwood, maybe? You could be adding one to all of the stats above also????