PDA

View Full Version : Great wins at Kardinia Park

LostDoggy
30-05-2011, 09:17 PM
Okay my memory for footy facts is generally poor, but I recall a game in 1998 or 99 possibly, where we were 50 odd points down at three quarter time. I spent the second half chatting and drinking, standing on the terrace in the south-east pocket, only one eye on the game.

Johnson took a screamer and suddenly we were ahead and won! Does anyone else recall this comeback? And what about other wins down at KP?

This is not my usual tune, but lets start getting a bit positive about this weeks game.

LostDoggy
30-05-2011, 09:29 PM
Hmm just checked the records - was probably round 12 2001 I was thinking of. Time has blown out the comeback a bit!

Mantis
30-05-2011, 09:52 PM
My fav. win down there was rd 21 1995.

We were 4 goals down at 1/4 time and on the back of a 7 goal last qtr won by 15pts. Kym Koster played a pearler... as did Libba & West.

gohardorgohome
30-05-2011, 10:28 PM
I'm pretty sure the first time I saw the dogs win down at the cattery in 1985....

Sedat
30-05-2011, 10:49 PM
EJ never tasted victory in 21 years venturing down the highway to Kardinia Park.

We had some great wins there under Wallace. James Cook starred in a tight win there in 1998. There was the sensational win in 2001 that Shorty was alluding to when we came back from 8 goals down and Westy absolutely starred. The win in 1995 was also from a mile back and was our first win in 20 years down there - Libba Snr was inspirational that day and got us into the finals (Geelong then hammered us 2 weeks later by 14 goals in the finals).

The win in 1985 was also notable for the goal of the year that Andrew Bews kicked, when he left it behind, retrieved it, baulked about 6 players and snapped it over his shoulder.

bornadog
30-05-2011, 11:53 PM
I'm pretty sure the first time I saw the dogs win down at the cattery in 1985....

I was there, was that the game that Foster shirt fronted that big red haired centre half forward of theirs (can't remember his name) and he was carried off on a stretcher, wow what a hit and no report:D. Round 14 1985, we kicked 23 .8 to 17.22, what a great win.

bornadog
30-05-2011, 11:56 PM
Okay my memory for footy facts is generally poor, but I recall a game in 1998 or 99 possibly, where we were 50 odd points down at three quarter time. I spent the second half chatting and drinking, standing on the terrace in the south-east pocket, only one eye on the game.

Johnson took a screamer and suddenly we were ahead and won! Does anyone else recall this comeback? And what about other wins down at KP?

This is not my usual tune, but lets start getting a bit positive about this weeks game.

yes we were 45 points down at one stage and really gone. Chris Grant went to the backline and starred and we won by 7 points.

Brad should have been given the mark of the year except he was involved in the winners mark of the year:p

Remi Moses
31-05-2011, 05:04 AM
My Favourite was the 95 win ,coming off such a shocker like the Freo effortthe week before great game against the odds win.Remember out two aboriginal stars Lally and Magic getting some racial stick in 85!! Lovely place that

Ozza
31-05-2011, 09:39 AM
I've never seen us lose at Kardinia Park. Have been down there 5 times I think.

Dancin' Douggy
31-05-2011, 09:50 AM
yes we were 45 points down at one stage and really gone. Chris Grant went to the backline and starred and we won by 7 points.

Brad should have been given the mark of the year except he was involved in the winners mark of the year:p

And that mark was over Matthew Scarlett to boot

LostDoggy
31-05-2011, 10:04 AM
Like everyone else I cant remember the year or round and are too lazy to look it up but it was approximately 8 years ago IIRC.

It was blowing a gale at the ground and we were way behind and had to kick against the wind in either the third or last quarter. I wasn't at the game but was listening on MMM Footy and the commentary was absolutely hilarious as against the wind we got on a roll and booted back to back goals against the wind to hit the lead.

I vividly remember the commentators (BT IIRC) in raptures and all singing along to the Song Against the wind by Bob Seger that they had playing in the background.

Anyone else remember this game or the MMM commentary?

edit - Had some energy and just looked at the stats it could have been Round 12 2001

Daughter of the West
31-05-2011, 10:13 AM
I've never seen us lose at Kardinia Park. Have been down there 5 times I think.

Are you going this weekend Ozza? You might be the lucky charm we need! :D

Ozza
31-05-2011, 03:29 PM
Unfortunately not. The last couple of occasions that we have played Geelong in Geelong has been on Saturday afternoons, when I play. Although I agree, we could do with all the good luck and any omens on offer.

Axe Man
31-05-2011, 04:36 PM
My fav. win down there was rd 21 1995.

We were 4 goals down at 1/4 time and on the back of a 7 goal last qtr won by 15pts. Kym Koster played a pearler... as did Libba & West.

That's the only game I ever been to in Geelong. I don't want to go again and spoil my record.

always right
31-05-2011, 04:59 PM
Which game was it when Rohan Smith kicked some long goals on the run to bring us home. My memory of dates is atrocious.

The Underdog
31-05-2011, 05:29 PM

I was at that game standing behind the goals. It was great. I had this old, drunk, Cats supporter who started getting really aggro when we came back and was even pushing me when we kicked goals (he was harmless though).
I distinctly remember someone abusing us because Footscray is full of Junkies and Wogs and replying " Mate, you're from Geelong".
It was one of those days where the trip is completely worth it.

mjp
31-05-2011, 06:34 PM
Western Jets vs Geelong Falcons, 2007.

LostDoggy
31-05-2011, 08:10 PM
My most recent memories of Kardinia Park that stick out only trek back to 2008. All tied up at half time, down by 2-3 goals at 3QT, thought we were still a chance in the last. Don't remember the incident but I got pretty pi**ed off at something Harbrow did or didn't do..and threw my (half decent) Nokia in the lounge-room in frustration, it then bounced up and hit the tv unit smashing it into a few pieces.

First time anger at Football has resulted in breaking something I own. This is why I tend to go watch the games as opposed to watching them on TV, no-one can hear you if you yell at home :| ha

1eyedog
03-06-2011, 12:34 AM

I was there for this one. I lived in Geelong and went with all my Geelong mates. Can't remember exactly but I think it was 9 goals at half time ??? Think we were closer than 50 pts at 3 quarter time but memory not great on it. I was starting to get into the drink at half time, pretty flat. At the end of the game I nearly got punched up in the city end dunnies behind the Brownlow stand.

Our history down there has not been great, saw KT nearly get us over the line in early 80s and watched in dismay as Dougie booted the ball into the Reg Hickey stand after Geelong scored another goal. It hit a supporting beam and rebounded at speed into the Geelong cheers squad from behind.

Would be good to get one up on the ferals and be the first to knock them off.

1eyedog
03-06-2011, 12:38 AM
I played on KP in 1984 as a 12 year old as part of the Geelong Primary School Lightning Premiership. We also played a game on the outside on St, Mary's oval. Our school came third from about 30 something primary schools. We didn't lose a game but we were pipped on percentage. We had a good team that year, our P.E teacher was former Geelong CHF Stephen Reynoldson or Mr. Renno.

KT31
03-06-2011, 12:43 AM

I think this is the game SS and I took an American trainer to from work.
I took him to this game and two others, from memory Darcy trook a mark and kicked a goal to put us in front late in the last.
The other two games , one we came from behind (pos Blues ) and won, The other we creamed the Kangaroo's.
Somewhere in Illinois, USA, there is a Dog for life.

Chicago1
03-06-2011, 03:16 AM
Somewhere in Illinois, USA, there is a Dog for life.

You mean another Dog for life, don't you? :p

I loved our 2002 win at Kardinia Park. I went with a few BF posters and met up with a few others. I only saw the Doggies win there THREE times in the 25 years I lived in Melbourne. THREE bloody times!

Remi Moses
03-06-2011, 05:20 AM
Had a great win in99 at the Feral stadium.
Vividly recall Paul Hudsons mid air kick pass to James Cook to put us in front.
Amongst the jubilation and ensuing man hugs in victory got called "a pack of Poofters" by the lovely friendly locals.
Classy as ever Down there.:rolleyes:

KT31
03-06-2011, 09:20 AM
You mean another Dog for life, don't you? :p

I loved our 2002 win at Kardinia Park. I went with a few BF posters and met up with a few others. I only saw the Doggies win there THREE times in the 25 years I lived in Melbourne. THREE bloody times!

Sorry Chicago,
you are right I should have posted 'another'.:o

Pickenitup
03-06-2011, 06:24 PM
Hopefully tomorrow we can say this will be the Best win down there

bornadog
03-06-2011, 10:31 PM
Hopefully tomorrow we can say this will be the Best win down there

If we win tomorrow with this young team, it will be the best win.

SydneyD
04-06-2011, 01:48 PM
Well im going to cheat a bit-our best ever win anywhere over Geelong which i witnessed
1968 Western Oval late in the season -only 18 round seasons back then . We were rank outsiders -i dont know where precisely on the ladder we were probably bottom 4 -because in 67 we won the wooden spoon. Geelong wernt top -but i think were 2nd or 3rd -well entrenced in top 4 . I was watching the game with my father -half forward flank -outer side -Barkly St end -and the wind was howling / I can vividly remember us kicking 3-4 quick goals at the start -the crowd was roaring -but with an eerie -oh this wont last-anyhow qtr time it was 6 goals to nothing -and talk about a massacre -it ended up something like 19 19 to 5 goals 2 -a fantastic win -and i can remeber it like it was yesterday

LostDoggy
04-06-2011, 04:44 PM
If we get up today, will be one of the greatest :)

AndrewP6
04-06-2011, 04:46 PM
If we get up today, will be one of the greatest :)

If Ottens, Stevie J, Pods, Bartel all suddenly die, we might stand a slight chance ;)