PDA

View Full Version : My Flight Home From Adelaide With The Doggies

LostDoggy
20-08-2007, 12:39 AM
So i went down to adelaide for the weekend, for the game of course. enjoyed most of it, the first 3 n half quarters where we were competitive and had the sniff..bit dissapointing end though when we dropped off :|

Had an 8.20pm (adel time) flight back and in walked players & staff (suprised that they were catching the same plane aswell, it was only couple hrs after the game thought theyd crash overnight).

Stood around watchin em go about their business before the flight..most of em going straight to the cafe for food..big brian Harris storming through with some HJ's haha. Shaked Scotty West's hand as he walked past..they were in the bookshop too, i left them be. Managed to say gday to Bruce Macavaney there too.

Got on the plane..they were all pretty much around me as they would be. Will Minson 2 rows in front of me, talking to club doctor Gary Zimmerman who was right in front. Sat next to some behind the scenes bloke named Bruce. In the opposite isle was Westy, who autographed my hat first with help from Bruce hah. (Westy loves his VB too). Was sitting in the middle of the plane, noticed Aker & Cooney right up front row but i didnt get out of my seat during the flight. Anthony Hudson sitting a row in front to the left, Dermie Brereton couple rows back, Wayne Campbell right behind me.

When the flight was over, jumped off and managed to snap up more autographs as we walked down to the baggage area. Darcy, Grant, Johnno all kindly signed my hat. Asked (of course smiling) Johnno how how pulled up and he said 'fine'.

In the baggage area got a few more including; Harris, Murphy, Aker. All in all, 7 autographs which was very cool. Quite a few players i left alone just cause you could see how worn n torn they were after such a game; which included Cooney, Cross, Higgins. Rocket shot off (like a rocket) when we landed, so couldnt get his sig. Then you had Daniel Gia & Gilbee spending most time on their phone, didnt bother bugging them.

Tonight was fun, for me anyway. Havent been so up n close with doggies players before and it was great to get the retiring Darcy & Grant (prob) on the same hat along with VC Westy and Captain Johnno. Comment if you like, dont care haha just wanted to share with you all, all the players i got autog of were great blokes.

bornadog
20-08-2007, 09:46 AM
Hey Alex, good report on your venture. I went down to Launceston a few years ago when Rhode was coaching and ended up on the plane home with the boys. That was a shocking game and we only kicked 3 goals for the day against the Saints. The mood on the plane was absolutelty shocking with no one speaking. There was only one seat vacant on the plane and that was between my mate and Rhode and he was in a foul mood. We were scared he was going to say something as he is a Saints fan and has a history of saying things to coaches (see below for another story).

Been up to Darwin a few times (except this year), and he you can get up and close to the players there at functions. Not sure if you have been but you should plan it for next year. The year we beat Carlton, I was on the plane back with the Carlton team and they drank the whole plane empty. I was in the last seat on the plane , (aisle, next to galley) and the players were up and down getting drinks. Fevola hung around there and all I could hear was him bagging Dennis. He didn't stop talking about the coach all night.

Back to my mate.

When Stan Alves was coaching, my mate went to an end of year function and as the night wore on and got a bit drunk, he started ribbing Alves. After awhile, Stan got sick of him, came to his table and with his nose almost touching my mates got stuck into him, pointing his finger and screaming at him. It must have been so funny to watch.

It must be better when the boys win and your on the plane with them, as I can imagine the last thing they want is fans milling around when they have lost, but generally they are pretty good.

Go_Dogs
20-08-2007, 10:12 AM
Lucky you. I was just happy I got to see Darcy play for the last time, but disappointed I didn't get to see Granty. It was a good game for 3.5 qtrs as you say, I was happy with the boys efforts.

LostDoggy
20-08-2007, 10:40 AM
I was happy with the boys efforts.
Obviously you are the type of supporter that accepts mediocrity ;)

Nice story alexxx.

Go_Dogs
20-08-2007, 11:53 AM
Obviously you are the type of supporter that accepts mediocrity ;)

Haha, I've been found out. Sorry for holding the club back everyone. :D

LostDoggy
20-08-2007, 01:02 PM
Hey Alex, good report on your venture. I went down to Launceston a few years ago when Rhode was coaching and ended up on the plane home with the boys. That was a shocking game and we only kicked 3 goals for the day against the Saints. ...

I went over for that Tassie game too. Stayed in the same hotel as the team. Quite a thrill for me to share a lift on occasion with the likes of Johnno and see the whole team milling around in the lobby before the game.

How wet and miserable was it at the ground that day?!

Thanks for your report alexxx.

aker39
20-08-2007, 02:23 PM
I'm glad your flight was a hell of a lot more enjoyable than mine.

I flew back this morning on the 7.45am out of Adelaide. We'll at least it was meant to be the 7.45.

We were on the plane with the door closed at 7.40am, and then nothing for 15 minutes until the pilot said that there was a delay with air traffic control and we would be delayed for another 5 minutes. An hour later, we finally took off.

Sitting in a plane on the tarmac for an hour, seemed like 3.

LostDoggy
20-08-2007, 07:35 PM
Haha yeah mine was much better :D glad i got that flight back..

Twodogs
20-08-2007, 09:51 PM
I went over for that Tassie game too. Stayed in the same hotel as the team. Quite a thrill for me to share a lift on occasion with the likes of Johnno and see the whole team milling around in the lobby before the game.

How wet and miserable was it at the ground that day?!

Thanks for your report alexxx.

I spent that day in Sunshine hospital waiting for a paediatric surgeon after my (then) 2yo daughter managed to drive a sewing machine needle through her thumb.

westdog54
20-08-2007, 10:11 PM
I spent that day in Sunshine hospital waiting for a paediatric surgeon after my (then) 2yo daughter managed to drive a sewing machine needle through her thumb.

I spent that day holed up in a motel in Bright because the road up to Mt Hotham was closed due to the bad weather. We were on a uni ski trip and were filthy on missing a day on the mountain.

We watched the second half of the game in the pub. It was even more painful for me because our group leader was a former StKilda player of yesteryear who I won't name, purely because he's a great bloke. Good thing he's such a great bloke too, otherwise it wouldn't have been so pleasant.

Templeton31
21-08-2007, 10:30 AM

nasty. does the "(then)" reference mean you have disowned her as a daughter? :D

hope all turned out well.

Templeton31
21-08-2007, 10:33 AM
I spent that day holed up in a motel in Bright because the road up to Mt Hotham was closed due to the bad weather. .......

I didnt know Melbourne supporters were allowed on this board! :D Surely the Range Rover could've handled the road. I hope you have one of those little Melb jumper stickers on the number plate....

Twodogs
21-08-2007, 12:09 PM
nasty. does the "(then)" reference mean you have disowned her as a daughter? :D

hope all turned out well.

No the 'then' means shes no longer 2yo.;)

LostDoggy
21-08-2007, 01:31 PM

2 year old + sewing machine = disaster. Ouch!

westdog54
21-08-2007, 01:46 PM
I didnt know Melbourne supporters were allowed on this board! :D Surely the Range Rover could've handled the road. I hope you have one of those little Melb jumper stickers on the number plate....

LOL took me a second but I figured it out.

Just for the record I was in a troopie not a Range Rover, but close enough.

Coincidentally, the ex StKilda player was also an ex Melbourne player if that gives a clue.

LostDoggy
21-08-2007, 02:04 PM
LOL took me a second but I figured it out.

Just for the record I was in a troopie not a Range Rover, but close enough.

Coincidentally, the ex StKilda player was also an ex Melbourne player if that gives a clue.

Carl Ditterich?

Twodogs
21-08-2007, 02:11 PM
Carl Ditterich?

Rob Elliot I reckon.

westdog54
21-08-2007, 02:53 PM
Carl Ditterich?

Rob Elliot I reckon.

keep guessing

LostDoggy
21-08-2007, 03:50 PM
keep guessing

Vic Cumberland?
Do you call him Q?

westdog54
21-08-2007, 04:15 PM
Vic Cumberland?
Do you call him Q?

No and no.

He's a rover, if that helps.

LostDoggy
21-08-2007, 04:17 PM
No and no.

Luke Drink Beveridge?

westdog54
21-08-2007, 04:19 PM
Luke Drink Beveridge?

back a couple of decades

Sockeye Salmon
21-08-2007, 04:34 PM
No and no.

Paul Callery

LostDoggy
21-08-2007, 04:39 PM
Brian Wilson

westdog54
21-08-2007, 05:01 PM
Paul Callery

Well Done

LostDoggy
21-08-2007, 08:16 PM
Its amazing how a story about following your football team interstate turns into a story about a 2yo ahaha..the internet would be useless with randomness. :D

Go_Dogs
21-08-2007, 08:23 PM
Its amazing how a story about following your football team interstate turns into a story about a 2yo ahaha..the internet would be useless with randomness. :D

Truer words haven't been spoken. Although I believe you meant, 'without'.

Twodogs
21-08-2007, 08:25 PM

With me it's usually the other way. Conversations start about other topics but end up at my footy team.

LostDoggy
25-08-2007, 11:52 AM
haha yeah my bad i did mean WITHOUT RANDOMNESS :)