PDA

View Full Version : Gary Ablett Jnr is a superior footballer to his father Ablett Snr: Malcolm Blight

westdog54
01-06-2011, 10:29 PM
Gary Ablett Jnr is a superior footballer to his father Ablett Snr: Malcolm Blight

Malcolm Blight says Gary Ablett Jr is now a better player than his legendary father, but Gazza Jr says Dad is still his No.1.
Blight is well placed to judge one of football's most contentious questions. He coached Ablett Sr at Geelong from 1989-94, taking the Cats to Grand Finals in 1989, '92 and '94, and is now director of football at the Suns.

Blight said he would have nominated Ablett Sr if asked to choose between the pair before this season. But in moving to the Suns, Blight said Ablett Jr had proved he could do more than his famous father.

"He is a complete footballer," Blight said yesterday. "He is not an outside player or a finisher, he wins his own footy, he defends and he can go forward and be a goalkicker.

"It isn't personal, but Gary Sr wasn't the best player because he played . . . forward, which was all he did."

View Article (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/gary-ablett-jnr-is-more-superior-as-a-footballer-as-his-father-ablett-snr-malcolm-blight/story-e6frf9jf-1226066834367)

Massive, massive call from a man who's seen both men up close.

Gary Senior is regarded as one of the best the game has ever seen. Some go one further and say he is the best.

I've seen a fair bit of both, and I'm leaning towards Gary Junior. He's versatile, wins his own ball and is a great leader.

GVGjr
01-06-2011, 10:32 PM
I had a chat about this to a few guys at work today and I think Junior still has a bit more to prove than his father.
Two of them are Cats supporters and they were leaning towards Gary senior as well.
Very close though

chef
02-06-2011, 07:34 AM
This is so wrong IMO. Having a father who's a Geelong supporter, I've been most Dogs/Cats games over the last 30 years and Gary senior is easily the best player I have seen while I wouldn't have Gary Jnr in the top five.

Ghost Dog
02-06-2011, 08:42 AM
This is so wrong IMO. Having a father who's a Geelong supporter, I've been most Dogs/Cats games over the last 30 years and Gary senior is easily the best player I have seen while I wouldn't have Gary Jnr in the top five.

Will Garry Senior be working for the suns?

I can think of a few blokes who can do what Jnr does.
I can't think of anyone who did the freakish things Snr did.

But if you include all the leadership stuff, sure, you would go for jnr.
Anyway, of course, Blight is going to say that as he's on the board at the Suns.

Ozza
02-06-2011, 10:25 AM
Its a huge call. Gary Senior was an absolute freak. Fast, skillful, could take pack marks - and could absolutely smash blokes with a hip and shoulder (which obviously you can no longer do!).

Hard to compare as they are quite different - but Gary Senior is probably the best player I've seen, whereas Junior is one of the best midfielders I've seen.

LostDoggy
02-06-2011, 11:02 AM
I think one of them won a couple of premierships too. Not that it's the most important thing, but when they are that close, this probably counts a bit -- Snr played in pretty good teams but probably didn't become enough of a team man to lift others when necessary, preferring to perform heroics himself. Jnr tended to bring others into the game with his distribution. Snr is Michael Jordan 1985-1991, a freak who would score 60+ points regularly but never made his teammates good enough to win the big one. Jnr is Jordan mid-late 90s, a guy who became the premier point guard in the NBA and a key to the triangle offence, setting up key baskets for other guys (Kerr etc.) to win crucial finals games.

So Snr is a probably the better footballer, Jnr the more valuable one. IMO of course.

LostDoggy
02-06-2011, 11:03 AM
Very different people, players and personalities.
I would probably say Jr is better option for a team / leader environment, Where as comparing the two as individual players, Snr would be out in front.

LostDoggy
02-06-2011, 11:10 AM
Should have waited a bit longer and then just said I agree with Lantern. We must have been writing at the same time.
Couldn't have said it better myself.
Dunno if Jacksons triangle offence would compare to Thompsons style of coaching though? Using the Jordan analogy, he basically learnt to win, would you say Ablett SNR never learnt to win or just didn't have the teams that Jr had????

westdog54
02-06-2011, 02:59 PM
Should have waited a bit longer and then just said I agree with Lantern. We must have been writing at the same time.
Couldn't have said it better myself.
Dunno if Jacksons triangle offence would compare to Thompsons style of coaching though? Using the Jordan analogy, he basically learnt to win, would you say Ablett SNR never learnt to win or just didn't have the teams that Jr had????

I'd argue that Senior had the teams as far as quality of teammates goes. You don't make 4 Grand Finals in 7 seasons without having some quality to your name. It simply didn't translate to the ultimate success as whoever they came up against was just better on the big day. You'd sit there forever if you tried to analyse why they were never able to break through for a flag in those years.

Remi Moses
02-06-2011, 03:18 PM
Senior is more of a freak than junior
Although Jnr is more consistent, I'd go with Snr

LostDoggy
02-06-2011, 04:49 PM
Senior for mine.. such a freak
Is Jobe in time be better than Timmy? Shoot me down but might be right

Dancin' Douggy
02-06-2011, 06:07 PM
Senior. By a MILE.
Little ablett is an incredible player who is consistent and reliable and may in the long term be considered a better 'asset' to a team.
But Gazza was just off the richter scale.

Dancin' Douggy
02-06-2011, 06:07 PM
Senior for mine.. such a freak
Is Jobe in time be better than Timmy? Shoot me down but might be right

Heading for the gun rack now............

1eyedog
02-06-2011, 11:10 PM
Senior is better but Junior has a long career in front of him to prove otherwise

LostDoggy
25-09-2012, 01:59 PM
Heading for the gun rack now............

Better wait on that

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
25-09-2012, 02:08 PM
Better wait on that

Why? because Jobe won an umpires award?
I'd still take Watson Snr over Jnr any day of the week.
As for Ablett Snr over Jnr.... yep just on pure football freakish ability.

bornadog
25-09-2012, 03:56 PM
I think Jnr is one of the best midfielders I have ever seen, the kid is a freak.

KT31
25-09-2012, 11:13 PM
Either would have been great in a Doggies jumper.
Ablett Snr was more of a match winner and a lot of the x-factor but he certainatly wouldn't hold up under todays professionalism,
Ablett jnr seems to be a better leader and plays a more consistant brand of footy.

Desipura
26-09-2012, 06:52 AM
I know which highlights package would be more exciting to watch, seniors!
Perhaps my reasoning is due to the fact I have a copy on DVD of Seniors 1993 season where he kicked 124 goals for memory.
It's great to bring out at a party and having it playing in the background whilst playing pool or having a chat.
I wish I could replace it with a DVD of a bulldogs premiership.

chef
26-09-2012, 07:50 AM
Having a Geelong supporting dad I got to see both play a heap. I would have Senior in front as the better player. His 89 final series was pretty phenomenal.

ledge
26-09-2012, 08:20 AM
If your looking for a player to drag you over the line week in week out with his all game input and hardworking it's junior.

If your looking for a player to do incredibly freakish things to get you through a game it's senior.

DragzLS1
26-09-2012, 01:20 PM
Its not a fair comparison as football is not the same as it was 20 odd years ago.. The standard is alot higher now and alot faster.. Because of this JNR would be a better all round player

Both guns though and it shouldnt even be a talking point as they are 2 different types of players with 2 different roles..

KT31
26-09-2012, 01:33 PM
Its not a fair comparison as football is not the same as it was 20 odd years ago.. The standard is alot higher now and alot faster.. Because of this JNR would be a better all round player

Both guns though and it shouldnt even be a talking point as they are 2 different types of players with 2 different roles..

If we made this a rule, Woof would be a very baren site.:).

Maddog37
26-09-2012, 03:41 PM
Imagine Gary snr one out in the goal square with today's rules. He would kill them.

mighty_west
26-09-2012, 04:49 PM
Both Champions, snr more spectacular, jnr more consistent, both play different positions and styles so how do you compare? Snr was certainly alot dirtier! Just ask Rohan Smith.

jeemak
27-09-2012, 12:53 AM
Gary Snr for me. On the basis that he dominated as all types of forward positions in his time, and that I know if he was trained and coached (though, possibly he was uncoachable in some respects) to play as modern players are he'd be head and shoulders above the competition.

Mid-size forward is the hardest area on the ground to dominate and senior did it very very well. I'm sure Jnr could do it very well, but with a midfield dedicated to protecting you, you really should dominate if you have Jnr's ability.

It's always hard comparing players of different eras because the game has changed so much in the last 15 years or so. For mine, I look at talent versus impact on a game, and with that I choose Snr.

LostDoggy
30-09-2012, 02:06 PM
Imagine Gary snr one out in the goal square with today's rules. He would kill them.

I think these comments are just plain wrong.

Gary sr was a master of using his hands in the back, as were many of the past great forwards, not so sure he'd enjoy the rules.
Not to mention, he'd get suspended every second week with the physicality he played with.

bornadog
21-07-2013, 12:02 PM
Bump

Gold Coast champion Gary Ablett is set to draw level with his dad on 248 games (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/gold-coast-champion-gary-ablett-is-set-to-draw-level-with-his-dad-on-248-games/story-fni5f7ka-1226682537144)

Junior really is a champ and fast approaching 250 games and still going strong. 49 disposals versus Collingwood shows how good he is.

LostDoggy
21-07-2013, 04:10 PM
And some great old footage of Snr's career highlights on Footy Flashbacks this afternoon. Forgot how muddy the grounds used to be at times!

Nuggety Back Pocket
21-07-2013, 06:48 PM
Both snr and jnr are Champions of our great game. Gary Ablett senior was a brilliant spectacular individual, who probably lacked the endurance of his brilliant son, who can run all day. I believe the son was a better team player and it was those qualities that brought him ultimate success with the Cats. This same success was denied Gary senior who played in equally strong teams at Geelong. Gary senior had more foibles and was engaged in many doubtful incidents in his career. Gary junior was a far more disciplined footballer. The senior coaches during Gary senior's time had huge problems with his carefree attitude to training which suggested the approach of an individual rather than a team approach.
Both have been gifted with incredible abilities but if I had to make a choice difficult as it is I would opt for junior.

westdog54
21-07-2013, 06:55 PM
Bump

Gold Coast champion Gary Ablett is set to draw level with his dad on 248 games (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/gold-coast-champion-gary-ablett-is-set-to-draw-level-with-his-dad-on-248-games/story-fni5f7ka-1226682537144)

Junior really is a champ and fast approaching 250 games and still going strong. 49 disposals versus Collingwood shows how good he is.

Only 29 this year as well. Would surely have at least 2 or 3 years left in him, which would take him to 300, especially given GC will surely be playing finals in 2 years if not next year.

After his extraordinary performance against Geelong his case grows stronger and stronger all the time.

bulldogtragic
21-07-2013, 07:01 PM
I was thinking with the Operation Get Tom Boyd, we should go after Gary Ablett Jnr Jnr, NOW,

1. Recruit Jnr when he retires from GCS, giving him a five year multi million dollar deal
2. Name Jnr as the sub for all 110 games - he doesn't even need to turn up, just qualify for F/S
3. After his 5 seasons, sign him as senior coach for 15 years, on massive dollars
4. When his boys are making decisions on where to play, they choose WBFC to play under their dad
5. Reap the rewards :)

westdog54
21-07-2013, 07:06 PM
I was thinking with the Operation Get Tom Boyd, we should go after Gary Ablett Jnr Jnr, NOW,

1. Recruit Jnr when he retires from GCS, giving him a five year multi million dollar deal
2. Name Jnr as the sub for all 110 games - he doesn't even need to turn up, just qualify for F/S
3. After his 5 seasons, sign him as senior coach for 15 years, on massive dollars
4. When his boys are making decisions on where to play, they choose WBFC to play under their dad
5. Reap the rewards :)

Unfortunately he's not in our target age bracket:D

Points for the lateral thinking though.

1eyedog
22-07-2013, 10:15 AM
Part of Senior's superiority is the aura that was built around him.
His gifts were universally idolised.
Not so Junior's.
The mythology of Senior will last forever and will be stronger than Junior's will ever be.

Twodogs
23-07-2013, 10:44 AM
The irony of Malcolm Blight asking this question is that Blight is the player who's skill set was closest to Gary Ablett sr's.

Ozza
23-07-2013, 10:46 AM
I'm hoping that Gary Junior finishes the last couple of years predominently as a forward - and kicks bags of goals. Could you imagine if footy these days enabled him to have the whole 50m arc to himself against his direct opponent only? He would kick a goal every single time the ball went in there!

Gary Ablett Snr is probably the best player I've seen - but I'm now starting to think his son will finish his career as the better player. He might already be there.

westdog54
23-07-2013, 04:10 PM
I'm hoping that Gary Junior finishes the last couple of years predominently as a forward - and kicks bags of goals. Could you imagine if footy these days enabled him to have the whole 50m arc to himself against his direct opponent only? He would kick a goal every single time the ball went in there!

Gary Ablett Snr is probably the best player I've seen - but I'm now starting to think his son will finish his career as the better player. He might already be there.

His goal sense certainly matches his old man's, that's for sure. If he's inside the 50, irrespective of which way he's facing, he knows where the goals are, and rarely misses them.

LostDoggy
24-07-2013, 05:53 AM
Think of it this way: Is Junior in the running for eventual Legend status? Because if not for the off-field crap, youd think Senior would have it.

westdog54
24-07-2013, 03:14 PM
Think of it this way: Is Junior in the running for eventual Legend status? Because if not for the off-field crap, youd think Senior would have it.

He'll be in the Hall of Fame as soon as he's eligible and would surely tick all the boxes for Legend Status, would simply have to wait his turn.

Happy Days
26-07-2013, 12:15 AM

"Crap"

Twodogs
26-07-2013, 10:16 AM
"Crap"

Crap with a capital C? Why would that be? It's not a proper noun.

bulldogtragic
15-03-2014, 10:28 PM
Just another lazy 40+ touches (15 contested) and 2 goals straight.

Freak. Serious freak.

Greystache
15-03-2014, 11:37 PM

Freak. Serious freak.

And 3 Brownlow votes to start the season.

wimberga
16-03-2014, 09:26 AM
I don't know what else Gary has to do to be more widely regarded as better than his father?

bornadog
16-03-2014, 01:25 PM
I don't know what else Gary has to do to be more widely regarded as better than his father?

I think he is better than his father.

bulldogtragic
16-03-2014, 01:30 PM
I think he is better than his father.

Ditto. I've never seen a player play to this level for such a long period, and he thinks he could have 4 or 5 seasons in him!

SonofScray
16-03-2014, 02:53 PM
He is better than his dad. Not as exciting, but you can't deny his supreme performances consistently over a long time now.

GVGjr
16-03-2014, 03:06 PM
He is better than his dad. Not as exciting, but you can't deny his supreme performances consistently over a long time now.

I agree. Sure Gary Snr could take an exciting grab and really change a game within a few minutes but Junior has been at such a high level for such a long period he is by far the better performer in my opinion.

westdog54
17-03-2014, 08:57 AM

Surely the door has been slammed shut on any debate on this question?

1eyedog
17-03-2014, 10:29 AM
I think all Jnr has to do now is retire. We seem to struggle to judge a player's true worth until after they have stopped playing the game.

wimberga
17-03-2014, 12:27 PM
Surely the door has been slammed shut on any debate on this question?

I never saw much of Ablett Snr but for me, I just can't put anyone in the same class as Jnr. So he's been number 1 for a few years for me, but I'm not sure that the wider populace 100% agrees

Twodogs
17-03-2014, 12:57 PM

Freak. Serious freak.

Speaking of him being a freak, is that a bad thing to call people nowadays?

The reason I ask is few years ago my son (who was then in primary school) asked me what Senior was like as a player. I said he was just a freak. Twodogs jr looked at me and said "that's not a very nice thing to call someone dad"

bulldogtragic
17-03-2014, 01:03 PM
Speaking of him being a freak, is that a bad thing to call people nowadays?

The reason I ask is few years ago my son (who was then in primary school) asked me what Senior was like as a player. I said he was just a freak. Twodogs jr looked at me and said "that's not a very nice thing to call someone dad"

Hadn't thought of it like that, from that I'm assuming it's a young persons word to denigrate someone else. Not having kids I'm out of the loop. I got in trouble for calling someone a bastard a few years back, on this issue but reversed. I think it would be ok if we described them as 'freakish' rather than 'freak' wouldn't it?

Twodogs
17-03-2014, 01:11 PM
Reading back over this reinforces to me what a tragedy Ted Whitten junior's knee injurys were.

I'm not saying he was as good as GAJ but it's a huge shame that we never got to see him play at his best. He would have been 28 and at his peak in 1985 and may have been the difference to us bowing out in he prelim and making a Grand Final.

I haven't seen many better passes of the footy than TWJ. As soon as he got the ball Kelvin Templeton would start to lead and 9 times out of 10 he'd hit him on the chest. KT might have been gone by '85 but I reckon that Simon Beasley would have been just as happy to be fed by Ted Whitten Jr's bullet passes. The Pieman kicked 115 goals in 1985, if Jr had been in the team he could easily had added 20 or 30 goals to that tally.

westdog54
18-03-2014, 08:55 AM
Hadn't thought of it like that, from that I'm assuming it's a young persons word to denigrate someone else. Not having kids I'm out of the loop. I got in trouble for calling someone a bastard a few years back, on this issue but reversed. I think it would be ok if we described them as 'freakish' rather than 'freak' wouldn't it?

One of my favourite scenes from the West Wing involves an exchange between Rob Lowe's character (speechwriter Sam Seaborn), and a political advisor.

Listen to the speech, then watch the exchange at the end. Manages to insult him and compliment him at the same time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqVWqTFU5Nk

DragzLS1
18-03-2014, 03:23 PM
I have had this argument time and time again. Footy was different when Gary senior was playing, none of the legends would keep up for more then half a game at this pace let alone be as dominant as they were.

Gary Junior is better then his father, hands down!

bulldogtragic
18-03-2014, 03:49 PM
One of my favourite scenes from the West Wing involves an exchange between Rob Lowe's character (speechwriter Sam Seaborn), and a political advisor.

Listen to the speech, then watch the exchange at the end. Manages to insult him and compliment him at the same time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqVWqTFU5Nk

Seriously fantastic show, I never thought it was as highly regarded in Australia as it should have been.

Twodogs
18-03-2014, 04:22 PM

He looked genuinely shocked when I said it. It's become a perjorative term. Appararntly.

bulldogtragic
05-04-2014, 10:59 PM
38 touches and 3 goals again. If the modern day of tagging, how does he keep doing it week in, week out. If there's a better player ever, then they were spectularly brilliant, and brilliantly consistent at being spectacular. I still think my idea of offering a 150 game deal at retirement (just on the team sheets) and coaching job for life to get the Ablett Jnr Jnr's father/son is a good idea.

bornadog
03-07-2020, 03:41 PM
Surely one of the greatest footballers of all time.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Eb-nxNGUMAACxbb?format=jpg&name=large

FrediKanoute
03-07-2020, 04:26 PM
HOw do you define great? Is great the ability to perform consistently at a high level over a long period of time? Or is great the ability to do the freakishly amazing things consistently?

Junior is a great player. But I wouldn't pay to go to the footy just to watch him play. I would though pay just to see Gary Ablett Snr play. His ability to do the amazing - things his peers couldn't do - consistently makes him a true great of the game. He didn't need to play 350 games to be a great.

jeemak
03-07-2020, 05:21 PM
Snr played in a different time, and was a different footballer. Again, an unhelpful but natural comparison between eras.

Jnr is a great of the game, and played a lot of his best footy off Broadway.

1eyedog
03-07-2020, 06:49 PM
Top 5 but his Dad is still the best. I'm biased though I saw a lot of Snr live living opposite KP in the early 90s.

Ozza
03-07-2020, 06:55 PM
Its a really hard question. I think Jnr has had the better career overall, but line them up in the playground....there's probably nobody that I've seen that you'd pick before Snr....maybe Carey - but there's a whisker between them.

I'd have both Ablett's, Carey and Lockett as my best 4 players ever, and my order probably depends on what day you catch me!

Twodogs
03-07-2020, 07:01 PM
Its a really hard question. I think Jnr has had the better career overall, but line them up in the playground....there's probably nobody that I've seen that you'd pick before Snr....maybe Carey - but there's a whisker between them.

I'd have both Ablett's, Carey and Lockett as my best 4 players ever, and my order probably depends on what day you catch me!

I'd have Ablett sr first but Templeton ahead of any of the others. I don't rate Ablett jr as highly as almost anyone else does. He's good but he's not in my top 10.

Nuggety Back Pocket
03-07-2020, 07:21 PM
Individually Ablett snr was a more brilliant player but Ablett jnr was a better team player. Ablett jnr played in a Premiership and won 2 Brownlow Medals which his Father was unable to achieve.

1eyedog
03-07-2020, 07:22 PM
I have Templeton 1978-1980 seasons as the best I've ever seen.

jeemak
03-07-2020, 07:34 PM

I didn't see Matthews play aside from when I was about five or six and he tore our hearts out in a preliminary final, but being too young to think too much about anything other than little league and my next meat pie I don't remember much of it!

My list is pretty much the same as yours given that.

jeemak
03-07-2020, 07:35 PM
I'd have Ablett sr first but Templeton ahead of any of the others. I don't rate Ablett jr as highly as almost anyone else does. He's good but he's not in my top 10.

I'm so surprised to read that.

Ozza
03-07-2020, 07:37 PM
I didn't see Matthews play aside from when I was about five or six and he tore our hearts out in a preliminary final, but being too young to think too much about anything other than little league and my next meat pie I don't remember much of it!

My list is pretty much the same as yours given that.

Leigh Matthews must have been phenomenal if he is regarded as (arguably) the best ever. Retired when I was 2 years old.

azabob
03-07-2020, 07:39 PM

More surprised by that or there is a contract thread? Or that TD knows a thing or two about teaching how to kick at goal?

Twodogs
03-07-2020, 07:53 PM

24 shots at goal in one game. Kicked 6 on debut as a 17 yo. 118 goals in a team that wins 7 games and finishes 2nd last. 91 goals off the back of no preseason at all in 1979, 2 Colemans, a Brownlow. His career effectively over at the age of 23.

How can a player have a better career than that when he's robbed of the best 7 years then that? Wayne who? Oh Carey? Saw them both play, KT was twice the player. Without the injury and if he'd played the same amount of years that Ablett did he would have kicked 2000 goals and won 5 Brownlows. ;)

bornadog
03-07-2020, 08:00 PM
24 shots at goal in one game. 118 goals in a team that wins 7 games and finishes 2nd last. 91 goals off the back of no preseason at all in 1979, 2 Colemans, a Brownlow. His career effectively over at the age of 23.

How can a player have a better career than that when he's robbed of the best 7 years then that? Wayne who? Oh Carey? Saw them both play, KT was twice the player. Without the injury and if he'd played the same amount of years that Ablett did he would have kicked 2000 goals and won 5 Brownlows.

He was unbelievable

jeemak
03-07-2020, 09:07 PM
More surprised by that or there is a contract thread? Or that TD knows a thing or two about teaching how to kick at goal?

I'm unsure. Just flat out flabbergasted. So flabbergasted that the gut Jake Stringer's running around with after four weeks of footy seems normal to me.

Twodogs
03-07-2020, 09:43 PM
He was unbelievable

Sure was.

azabob
04-07-2020, 07:45 AM
24 shots at goal in one game. Kicked 6 on debut as a 17 yo. 118 goals in a team that wins 7 games and finishes 2nd last. 91 goals off the back of no preseason at all in 1979, 2 Colemans, a Brownlow. His career effectively over at the age of 23.

How can a player have a better career than that when he's robbed of the best 7 years then that? Wayne who? Oh Carey? Saw them both play, KT was twice the player. Without the injury and if he'd played the same amount of years that Ablett did he would have kicked 2000 goals and won 5 Brownlows. ;)

I think you went into that one hook line and sinker....

Most woof posters know of your love for KT. I only wish I got to see him.

You are woofs version of Nothing more certain than *Life *Death *Taxes

Twodogs = *KT *Goal kicking technique *Random story to go with majority of situations

1eyedog
04-07-2020, 08:27 AM

He was a force of nature. Was the sold reason I love footy and why we kept going to WO every second weekend.

Hotdog60
04-07-2020, 08:32 AM
I was around for KT and it broke my heart when he went to Melbourne in the first of the million dollar trading spending spree.
Ironically it was against Melbourne that did his career in so maybe karma that they paid all that money and did get too much in return.
He would have to be the all time great CHF and would have no problems in today's game.

Twodogs
04-07-2020, 09:43 AM
I think you went into that one hook line and sinker....

Most woof posters know of your love for KT. I only wish I got to see him.

You are woofs version of Nothing more certain than *Life *Death *Taxes

Twodogs = *KT *Goal kicking technique *Random story to go with majority of situations

You forgot about him not being in the HOF. That's another hobby horse I love riding around.

EasternWest
04-07-2020, 09:57 AM
You forgot about him not being in the HOF. That's another hobby horse I love riding around.

Never heard you mention it.

Happy Days
04-07-2020, 10:45 AM
Did he really suggest trading himself to Melbourne or is that something we just choose to believe?

1eyedog
04-07-2020, 11:20 AM
Did he really suggest trading himself to Melbourne or is that something we just choose to believe?

It's true. After his knee he knew he was done and tried to get the best outcome financially for us. We were struggling and he had massive collateral. Barassi loved him and paid overs for him at the time. We were a shit show in 1982. Hart got the sack and we lost most games that year but we used some of the Templeton funds to actually start paying players real money and enticed / drafted a number of good players who very nearly took us to the big dance in 85.

azabob
04-07-2020, 12:15 PM

It is hard to believe isn't it? Kind of like Callan Ward will one day come back.

The Underdog
04-07-2020, 12:45 PM
If KT’s footballing ability was anything like his ability to appear in threads on this board he has no business being in, then he must have been amazing. Shame there’s no KT Jr.

Happy Days
04-07-2020, 12:54 PM
Anyway this is all moot because the real answer is Buddy

bornadog
04-07-2020, 01:06 PM

My favourite non Bulldog

The Underdog
04-07-2020, 01:23 PM

Buddy is the answer to is GAB Jnr better than GAB Snr?

Twodogs
04-07-2020, 01:28 PM

No. The answer is John.

https://youtu.be/12W34XWIQwU

Happy Days
04-07-2020, 02:23 PM

Yes.

jeemak
04-07-2020, 03:08 PM
I love Buddy, absolutely love him. But not sure he's up there with senior.

bornadog
24-10-2020, 03:02 PM
Junior's final game tonight. Has been an incredible footballer over his career, and one of the AFL's best.