PDA

View Full Version : Bazza on The Footy Show panel

AndrewP6
02-06-2011, 10:38 PM
According to Garry, he's going to tell us all about where his future lies... WOW! Ground-breaking!

AndrewP6
02-06-2011, 10:52 PM
He just said it was him who did the graffiti at WO. "That was me trying to fire up the boys"!!! :)

AndrewP6
02-06-2011, 11:39 PM
According to Damian Barrett, there is a group of people looking at challenging Smorgon's leadership. Apparently they are working out when to make a move (now, post-season etc). They respect Smorgon, but feel change is needed. Rumoured that Paul Dimattina is involved, when asked he gave a non-answer (a no comment type I guess)

Asked Baz, he talked about David's passion for the club, thinks it's healthy to have competition for any position. Asked about his own future, Baz talked about the ankle swelling up. Not playing this week, trying to get continuity to get it right. JB asked if he's worried about the body, Baz said if he can't contribute, he'll retire. Still thinks he can, time will tell. Admitted to playing two games underdone, and performance suffered. Spoke to Rocket, told him if he's not pulling his weight, he wants to be told.

Great to hear Baz speak so honestly and openly on an issue which must be very frustrating. Really hope he can get back on the paddock.

Interesting...

AndrewP6
03-06-2011, 12:27 AM
Sam dicing with death with the repeated digs at Bazza's swollen ankle.

chef
03-06-2011, 08:07 AM
According to Damian Barrett, there is a group of people looking at challenging Smorgon's leadership. Apparently they are working out when to make a move (now, post-season etc). They respect Smorgon, but feel change is needed. Rumoured that Paul Dimattina is involved, when asked he gave a non-answer (a no comment type I guess)

Asked Baz, he talked about David's passion for the club, thinks it's healthy to have competition for any position. Asked about his own future, Baz talked about the ankle swelling up. Not playing this week, trying to get continuity to get it right. JB asked if he's worried about the body, Baz said if he can't contribute, he'll retire. Still thinks he can, time will tell. Admitted to playing two games underdone, and performance suffered. Spoke to Rocket, told him if he's not pulling his weight, he wants to be told.

Great to hear Baz speak so honestly and openly on an issue which must be very frustrating. Really hope he can get back on the paddock.

Interesting...

You missed the most interesting bit, they will wipe out our debt straight away.

Desipura
03-06-2011, 08:14 AM
You missed the most interesting bit, they will wipe out our debt straight away.

How?

chef
03-06-2011, 08:23 AM
How?

It wasn't explained how, just that would wipe our $3.5mil debt straight up.

aker39
03-06-2011, 08:51 AM
David Smorgons response.

http://www.sen.com.au/audioplayer/Audio/Western-Bulldogs-President-David-Smorgon/2448

always right
03-06-2011, 09:09 AM
It wasn't explained how, just that would wipe our $3.5mil debt straight up.

That would be great but in one sense it's the easy part. More interested in the quality of those wishing to challenge and what they bring to the club on an ongoing basis.

Mofra
03-06-2011, 10:34 AM
The Dimmatinas are loaded - but will they make the ongoing cash contributions to the club that Smorgon does?

FWIW I'm not sure how Dimma will present as a club President - he certainly wouldn't have the affable charm of a Smorgon (to say those who have dealt with him regularly describe him as "difficult" would be an understatement).

Throughandthrough
03-06-2011, 10:38 AM
SmorgOn

bulldogsthru&thru
03-06-2011, 10:50 AM
If he really cares about the club that much then why doesn't he put the supposed 3.5mil into the debt demolition campaign? Or is it conditional only if he is appointed president/board member? If he really cared and was really passionate as much as he should be then the money should be donated whether he is on the board or not

1eyedog
03-06-2011, 11:01 AM
Buying his way in is not an uncommon approach at President and Board level across all clubs.

Ghost Dog
03-06-2011, 12:10 PM
Buying his way in is not an uncommon approach at President and Board level across all clubs.

not at our club. We're a tribal bunch.

always right
03-06-2011, 02:01 PM
If he really cares about the club that much then why doesn't he put the supposed 3.5mil into the debt demolition campaign? Or is it conditional only if he is appointed president/board member? If he really cared and was really passionate as much as he should be then the money should be donated whether he is on the board or not

Clearly his group believes there are aspects of the club's direction they are not happy with. It's understandable that they would want to be in a position to influence change if his group is going to hand over that sort of cash.

Managed the right way, this challenge should be a good thing. The last thing you want is a board that knows it is safe.

LostDoggy
03-06-2011, 03:11 PM
Clearly his group believes there are aspects of the club's direction they are not happy with. It's understandable that they would want to be in a position to influence change if his group is going to hand over that sort of cash.

Managed the right way, this challenge should be a good thing. The last thing you want is a board that knows it is safe.

Yep with you there Always Right....the democratic process is pretty important in keeping all stakeholders on their toes. Pity that it comes up after the re-election of Smorgo ...it just looks messy!!

LostDoggy
03-06-2011, 04:51 PM

Disagree somewhat. If there is a group then why don't they put there hand up. ATM it's all BS. If someone has the money to wipe the debt then I bet Smorgon would step aside.

LostDoggy
03-06-2011, 04:54 PM
Disagree somewhat. If there is a group then why don't they put there hand up. ATM it's all BS. If someone has the money to wipe the debt then I bet smorgan would step aside.

i don't reckon he would or should myself...but it's the debate or contest that i think is healthy ...timing sux!

LostDoggy
03-06-2011, 05:25 PM

Interesting...

I loved how casual and honest Barry was in answering this. So did Garry Lyon. It shows the character of the bloke I reckon, that he isn't trying to ride out the season on the bench like other guys past it. He is very near 300 games and AFL life membership…

Agree. They obviously don't believe that the current board/president is suitably able to spend the cash, hence they don't want to give it.

i don't reckon he would or should myself...but it's the debate or contest that i think is healthy ...timing sux!

Timing. The cause of some of the worst atrocities in history. Let's hope we ride this one out as winners, because I don't want to see the Dogs looking like North Melbourne…

Bumper Bulldogs
03-06-2011, 05:44 PM
Not sure on this one, for mine Smorgon is one of the best things we have at the club and he has always handled himself as a role model of integrity. He did say a few years ago after his wife passed away he was ready to hand the club over as he's had enough. Were where these guys then? Did they just win tatts after the last AGM?

If you cant plan and be professional about this sort of thing for me your not worth having at the helm.

Smorgon will wipe off the debt it will just take longer to do so, what I can guarantee is that while he is their we will not contribute any further to the crushing debt we have.

Not sure about a group that has no face/spine.

LostDoggy
03-06-2011, 06:48 PM

What debate? ATM its just media hype trying generate news of club in crisis.

LostDoggy
03-06-2011, 06:53 PM
Nick Columbs name now mentioned. No thanks-been there done that and failed.
Just heard Smorgon say mainly what I said previously-nothing really mention, willing to speak to those interested and so far media driven story.

Remi Moses
03-06-2011, 08:45 PM
David deserves to go on his own terms. He deserves to.

LostDoggy
03-06-2011, 08:48 PM

Exactly.

Wasnt Dimmatina a runner for Essendon later on because I recall he had a shot at our club while there?

You wouldnt see someone like Chris Grant doing something against the club like Dimma.

LostDoggy
03-06-2011, 09:59 PM
For me Dimma is welcome with open arms to Join the board if he can bring something.
For me David Smorgan is President until HE no longer wants to be !

He is the best president we have ever had, and alongside Frank Costa the best in the AFL in recent years.

LostDoggy
04-06-2011, 02:15 AM
For me Dimma is welcome with open arms to Jiinah the board if he can bring something.

He is the best president we have ever had, and alongside Frank Costathe best in the AFL in recent years.

Here, here. The debate is healthy but the "group of businessmen" would need to bring a heck of a lot more than just debt reduction. We need innovative membership driving methods, marketing expansion, a way to penetrate the western suburbs to increase interest and loyalty in the club as well as good footy management. If we're EVER going to see another premiership we need vision at the top - not just a cash junket. I liked Smorgon's radio response. :cool:

jeemak
04-06-2011, 03:58 AM
David deserves to go on his own terms. He deserves to.

Um, no he doesn't. He needs to go out on the board's terms, and the terms outlined in the constitution of our club.

David Smorgon, as excellent as he has been for our club, is subject to the same processes as everyone else. If he doesn't understand that then it's time for him to go!

Not saying I want that to happen mind you, and I'm sure he'd do the right thing anyway. It's just that no person's potential ambitions can ever get in the way of a well running football club.

Remi Moses
04-06-2011, 04:01 AM
For me Dimma is welcome with open arms to Jiinah the board if he can bring something.

He is the best president we have ever had, and alongside Frank Costathe best in the AFL in recent years.

Totally agree. If Dimma wants to get involved just get on the board,just on Barry what an absolute pro the bloke is.

Remi Moses
04-06-2011, 04:07 AM
Um, no he doesn't. He needs to go out on the board's terms, and the terms outlined in the constitution of our club.

David Smorgon, as excellent as he has been for our club, is subject to the same processes as everyone else. If he doesn't understand that then it's time for him to go!

Not saying I want that to happen mind you, and I'm sure he'd do the right thing anyway. It's just that no person's potential ambitions can ever get in the way of a well running football club.

Well aware of what goes on and sure Smorgon will know when to go.

jeemak
04-06-2011, 04:48 AM
Well aware of what goes on and sure Smorgon will know when to go.

Re-reading the original post of yours that I quoted, I probably overlooked that, and missinterpreted the word deserves.

Cheers.

Topdog
04-06-2011, 10:58 AM
I'm happy that it seems Dimma wants to come onto the board first.

Ideally he will come onto the Board and then go for the presidency in 2013 or earlier if Smorgo wants to step aside.

LostDoggy
04-06-2011, 11:05 AM

Ideally he will come onto the Board and then go for the presidency in 2013 or earlier if Smorgo wants to step aside.

Spot on.

ledge
04-06-2011, 12:09 PM

Agree where did he say he wants to overthrow David?
All he said was he wants to get on the board because he can see things he thinks he can improve on.
Wheres that a problem?
I think its awesome.

ledge
04-06-2011, 12:12 PM
Thank god Beasley said he doesnt want to be on the board, with his record I am not sure it would be a good idea.

Ghost Dog
04-06-2011, 12:44 PM
All he said was he wants to get on the board because he can see things he thinks he can improve on.
Wheres that a problem?
I think its awesome.

If it were so straightfoward, then why is this being brought out in the media, with meetings in hotels with Simon Beasley ( not a great look considering his record ).
All this should happen behind closed doors.
David is 64 after all. Youth is a good idea, but do want harmony and the best result.

ledge
04-06-2011, 01:00 PM
If it were so straightfoward, then why is this being brought out in the media, with meetings in hotels with Simon Beasley ( not a great look considering his record ).
All this should happen behind closed doors.
David is 64 after all. Youth is a good idea, but do want harmony and the best result.

Maybe it was supposed to happen behind closed doors the media are a pretty sleazy bunch if you take a close look at the article there is a lot of made up stuff in it.
One minute its Beasley wants in then he says he isnt interested is one example.

If I was going to join a board I would certainly have a friend I would confide in, on the best way to do it and maybe get ideas etc.
I certainly dont believe it is being sneaky its just the media trying to get a story and Dimma making sure he has his house in order before he sees David on his ideas greivances etc.
David in his own words said he was open to anything thats good for the club.

Topdog
04-06-2011, 01:02 PM
Wheres that a problem?
I think its awesome.

It sounds like that today but 2 days ago and yesterday it sounded like a "hostile takeover".

I don't think Dimma would do that and hope he goes down the sensible path.

Greystache
04-06-2011, 01:05 PM

Agreed, if it works out that way it would be ideal, assuming he's up to the job. Smorgon alluded last election he was a bit disappointed there wasn't an outstanding candidate to challenge him, and that he would welcome someone to take over from him and continue his work.

Flamethrower
04-06-2011, 01:18 PM
The thing I don't like is the comment associating the elimination of the club's debt with the challenge for board positions. The 2 things should be mutually exclusive.

If Paul Dimattina and his group have the finances to make the club debt free then do it - don't make it conditional because that is when rifts occur and clubs are divided.

Ghost Dog
04-06-2011, 01:20 PM
Maybe it was supposed to happen behind closed doors the media are a pretty sleazy bunch if you take a close look at the article there is a lot of made up stuff in it.One minute its Beasley wants in then he says he isnt interested is one example.

If I was going to join a board I would certainly have a friend I would confide in, on the best way to do it and maybe get ideas etc.
I certainly dont believe it is being sneaky its just the media trying to get a story and Dimma making sure he has his house in order before he sees David on his ideas greivances etc.
David in his own words said he was open to anything thats good for the club.

good point. They use a few choice turns of phrase don't they.
Note the picture, with papparazi opportunistic tones, when dimma probably would have been happy to stand for a photo shoot anyway.

ledge
04-06-2011, 01:33 PM
good point. They use a few choice turns of phrase don't they.

Yep amazed how articles contradict themselves so much nowadays, even the Hall conversation was jumped on as he is retiring, all he stated was the obvious, if he isnt any good , injury or form wise he will retire now wouldnt that be all players of his age ?

Topdog
04-06-2011, 01:43 PM
The thing I don't like is the comment associating the elimination of the club's debt with the challenge for board positions. The 2 things should be mutually exclusive.

If Paul Dimattina and his group have the finances to make the club debt free then do it - don't make it conditional because that is when rifts occur and clubs are divided.

Thats still all media speculation at the moment. I think we should give them the benefit of the doubt at the moment.