PDA

View Full Version : Round 11 discussion

Sedat
03-06-2011, 09:41 PM
Demons have kicked 6 unanswered goals and lead by 5 goals at 3/4 time. Essendon clearly still massively rely on Jobe to win them first purchase out of the middle.

bornadog
03-06-2011, 11:25 PM
Good win for the Dees, I doubt anyone would have picked them to win.

Remi Moses
03-06-2011, 11:34 PM
Jobe Watson and Hurley are big outs!
Does anyone else concur that the Dees are over celebrating?
The Bombres were always going to hit the wall at some stage,whether or not they can recover sufficiently is now the big test.Melbourne backing it up now is also a test for them.
Collingwood next week Ouch!

Rocco Jones
03-06-2011, 11:40 PM

Funny to say that. A fellow teacher was asking my advice on tips today (no idea why, I am woeful at tipping). There was a prep just outside the staff room (he hates going outside) and I invited him in to give his tips. He tipped the Dees tonight, he also went with the Dogs to beat the Cats and Port to beat the Blues.

As a side-note, he also thought it would be a good idea to take a whiz in the yard during play time yesterday.

Rocco Jones
03-06-2011, 11:42 PM

I don't.

They have been smashed in the media. As deserved as it was, this is a sweet victory for their players tonight.

AndrewP6
03-06-2011, 11:54 PM
As a side-note, he also thought it would be a good idea to take a whiz in the yard during play time yesterday.

Haha... it's not THAT bad an idea. ;) One of my Grade Fours thought it would be a good idea at the end of Term 1 (last day, about to send them home!) to practise a karate kick - into the glass door. It wasn't a good idea. :eek:

AndrewP6
03-06-2011, 11:57 PM

Nah, the Bombres can get stuffed. I'm still bitter over Rd 1.

Greystache
04-06-2011, 12:43 AM
I went along tonight, Melbourne really wanted it and it showed in their desperation. Essendon's forward line looks in disarray at the moment, Hille and Ryder can't take a mark between them, and they're being hurt on the rebound by being too tall. They also got nothing out of their small forwards, in particular Jetta, and that show pony Monfries is nothing more than Brad Johnson in his last few games, except he's 24!!

Not sure about the players over celebrating, but the Melbourne supporters were way over the top. I've seen lower key celebrations after winning a final, people were hugging in the aisles during the last quarter, a fat slob a few rows in front of me was screaming "redemption for the 2000 grand final", and others were chanting that Melbourne are the new league's powerhouse. It was strange to say the least!

Sockeye Salmon
04-06-2011, 12:44 AM

There's an AFL player in the making if I ever heard of one

G-Mo77
04-06-2011, 02:49 AM

I did! I was going to play it safe as I'm near the top but in the 11th hour I grew some balls and took a punt. Pretty happy with that. :)

The Pie Man
04-06-2011, 05:11 AM

I did, though before I gloat I have to own up to picking some roughies to try and catch up - though with Ess coming off the bye and a few big outs, Mel were good value at over $4

Despite being very badly beaten last week, I've got a feeling the Crows can do North

LostDoggy
04-06-2011, 09:18 AM

Sylvia injured & Jack Grimes not there, two massive outs for them.

Topdog
04-06-2011, 09:48 AM
Jamar is a huge out too. But Ess are decimated by injury through the midfield with their 2 most imp midfielders out, plus 2 backmen and a key forward.

LostDoggy
04-06-2011, 09:50 AM
Jamar is a huge out too. But Ess are decimated by injury through the midfield with their 2 most imp midfielders out, plus 2 backmen and a key forward.

Sorry to ask who are they? Watson and Hurley then who?

aker39
04-06-2011, 09:59 AM
But Ess are decimated by injury through the midfield with their 2 most imp midfielders out, plus 2 backmen and a key forward.

Sounds familiar.

Sockeye Salmon
04-06-2011, 10:20 AM

Winderlich and Dempsey are two

azabob
04-06-2011, 10:20 AM

I asked the same question last week and the replies were

Watson, Hocking, Hurley & Pears. Also they may be talking about Dempsey and Winderlich.

Topdog
04-06-2011, 10:25 AM
Like I said Jamar is a massive out too and losing Sylvia early should really have pushed the game into Essendons hands.

I picked Richmond last time so it was no great surprise but this week I picked Ess and in the tipping did so by 15 thinking it would be a close game. In reality they got blown away.

Maddog37
04-06-2011, 10:54 AM
Another team to lose after the bye.

LostDoggy
04-06-2011, 12:02 PM
I asked the same question last week and the replies were

Watson, Hocking, Hurley & Pears. Also they may be talking about Dempsey and Winderlich.

Yes but of those 1 is an important midfielder, 2 is a stretch. Melb got a few back this week but would still say there outs are better.
Essendon are on the slide. We were unlucky to cop Essendon round 1.

G-Mo77
04-06-2011, 12:09 PM
Yes but of those 1 is an important midfielder, 2 is a stretch. Melb got a few back this week but would still say there outs are better.
Essendon are on the slide. We were unlucky to cop Essendon round 1.

Hocking is pretty important to them as well. Everyone has injuries though and clearly Essendon can't cover them. I love seeing them lose especially when 80% of their fans expect them to win every game they play.

LostDoggy
04-06-2011, 12:29 PM
I concede on Hocking though I rate Jamar and Davey bigger outs than Watson and Hocking. Going back to my point Essendon on the slide, without checking their past 5 years they have a short history of dropping off after a good start to the year.

Greystache
04-06-2011, 12:31 PM
Hocking is pretty important to them as well. Everyone has injuries though and clearly Essendon can't cover them. I love seeing them lose especially when 80% of their fans expect them to win every game they play.

1st, 2nd, and 3rd in their B&F last year.

Watson
Hocking
Winderlich

Hocking is their primary shutdown player but also helps Watson at stoppages. He's the only player I've to tag Dane Swan out of a game.

Topdog
04-06-2011, 12:45 PM
I concede on Hocking though I rate Jamar and Davey bigger outs than Watson and Hocking. Going back to my point Essendon on the slide, without checking their past 5 years they have a short history of dropping off after a good start to the year.

I think you are underrating the Ess outs but it wouldn't surprise me if they slide.

I don't think they will drop as much as prev years but they have been training since Oct so I expect them to start the season better than how they end it. I think they will make the 8 but that is more a statement of how poor the competition is this year.

And yep as Stache said 1,2 and 3 in the B&F from last year. They are big outs regardless of how much we don't like Ess.

LostDoggy
04-06-2011, 11:22 PM
And yep as Stache said 1,2 and 3 in the B&F from last year. They are big outs regardless of how much we don't like Ess.

Remind me how Ess went last year?

Remi Moses
05-06-2011, 02:26 AM
Ross Lyon's coaching bordering on bizarre tonight! Clint Jones doing well on Thomas he takes him off and whacks the very ordinary Dempster on him ! Result Thomas gets possessions galore! James Gwilt in the ruck, Capt Diver in the ruck as well. If we can conjure up some sort of effort we could beat them.

chef
05-06-2011, 03:50 PM
Looks like North will jump us on the ladder:(.

Topdog
05-06-2011, 08:22 PM
Remind me how Ess went last year?

Did you miss the first half of my post?

Anyway Watson out is as important as Cooney out to us and Hocking would be like missing Picken. They are big outs regardless of how poorly they fared as a team last year playing for a dead duck coach.

LostDoggy
05-06-2011, 09:33 PM
The point was melb had just as good if not better players missing.

The Pie Man
05-06-2011, 10:01 PM
Looks like North will jump us on the ladder:(.

(With the voice of the teacher with a mo from Family Guy)

I knowwwwww

:(

Remi Moses
06-06-2011, 12:25 AM
If you finish outside the eight you're better off finishing nearer the bottom.
Could of put your house and even the car on Norf winning that game!
Remember the Archer Game:eek:

Topdog
06-06-2011, 12:31 PM
The point was melb had just as good if not better players missing.

I noticed.

Twodogs
06-06-2011, 12:37 PM
If you finish outside the eight you're better off finishing nearer the bottom.

I tend to agree but GWS get all the best picks this year anyway.

LostDoggy
06-06-2011, 04:56 PM
I noticed.
Not very well
So only Jamar was out but Essendon were decimated.

Topdog
06-06-2011, 07:40 PM
the word 'too' would indicate that I didn't think he was their only out. However Davey has been shit this year and Grimes is missing every 3rd week.

LostDoggy
06-06-2011, 08:13 PM
Davey 4th b&f and Sylvia(injured in match) 5th b&f were melb top brownlow vote getters. Jamar was AA and 3rd b&f.
Add Grimes, Garland and a stack of young players.

LostDoggy
06-06-2011, 08:19 PM
Also Essendon had a break while Melbourne had number iffy as they were coming back from injury.

aker39
06-06-2011, 09:10 PM
Davey 4th b&f and Sylvia(injured in match) 5th b&f were melb top brownlow vote getters. Jamar was AA and 3rd b&f.

Davey is having a shocking year. Based on his form THIS year, him being out of the team was no big loss.

LostDoggy
06-06-2011, 10:20 PM
Davey is having a shocking year. Based on his form THIS year, him being out of the team was no big loss.

So we can only look at this year for Melbourne but not Essendon. I'd take Davey over Winderlich or Hocking even this year.

aker39
06-06-2011, 10:40 PM
Then you haven't been watching much of Melbourne and Essendon this year.

Topdog
06-06-2011, 10:56 PM
Hocking has been one of Essendons best. Melbourne were contemplating dropping Davey.

i don't even know what we are discussing any more.

I have said that Jamar is a massive out. I have said that once Sylvia went down Essendon should have won and yet still Chops is arguing. Apparently saying Ess were decimated through the midfield was too much.

LostDoggy
07-06-2011, 07:44 AM
Hocking basically has the same stats as Davey so far this season yet Davey should have been dropped and Hocking has been great. I would thought Melbourne were more depleted than Essendon because they had just as good and more out.

LostDoggy
07-06-2011, 07:55 AM
Then you haven't been watching much of Melbourne and Essendon this year.

Neither teams much nor I have I been sucked in by the essendon media hype.

comrade
07-06-2011, 08:00 AM
Seriously, why bother going back and forth on Essendon and Melbourne players? With everyone trying to get the last word in, this could go on forever.

Desipura
07-06-2011, 08:17 AM
Seriously, why bother going back and forth on Essendon and Melbourne players? With everyone trying to get the last word in, this could go on forever.

Just wait for Chops to reply on your post. ;)

Topdog
07-06-2011, 10:22 AM
Hocking basically has the same stats as Davey so far this season yet Davey should have been dropped and Hocking has been great. I would thought Melbourne were more depleted than Essendon because they had just as good and more out.

Ah stats, good old stats. They never lie.

LostDoggy
07-06-2011, 12:20 PM
Ah stats, good old stats. They never lie.

There's as much proof in stats as an opinion.

LostDoggy
07-06-2011, 12:22 PM
Just wait for Chops to reply on your post. ;)

I'd rather reply to yours, you're good at ignoring facts.

Desipura
07-06-2011, 12:35 PM
I'd rather reply to yours, you're good at ignoring facts.

I would like to give you a fact about yourself however its plain obvious for all to see, so I wont.

LostDoggy
07-06-2011, 12:42 PM
I would like to give you a fact about yourself however its plain obvious for all to see, so I wont.

Go on :)

Desipura
07-06-2011, 12:50 PM
Go on :)

You are an egotistical, arrogant, person with strong opinions that likes to have the final say...................

just like me......not to mention passionate bulldogs supporter:D

Topdog
07-06-2011, 04:58 PM
There's as much proof in stats as an opinion.

OK then lets use stats.

Hocking is primarily a negator, Davey is supposed to be an attacking player who sets up general play and attacks.

Yet Hocking has the same amount of disposals (1 more to be precise).
Hocking has more than double the number of tackles (51 to 23)
Hocking has more than double the number of Inside 50's (35 to 15)
Same number of goals.
Same number of goal assists.

Fans thoughts on Davey just before injury.

http://demonology.midnight.net.au/Index.PHP?Mode=Forum&SubMode=DisplayPosts&MessageThreadID=34655&BoardType=0

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=818232
Post 37 onwards is May 20

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:aDsN4Xbx0VMJ:demonland.com/forums/index.php%3F/topic/26061-aaron-davey/+aaron+davey+dropped&cd=6&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=au&source=www.google.com.au

And Davey's coach?

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/tabid/7415/default.aspx?newsid=114426

Any way your opinion became irrelevant when you said that you haven't watched much of either side. No idea why you would bother arguing something if you don't even watch them.

comrade
07-06-2011, 06:57 PM
OK then lets use stats.

Hocking is primarily a negator, Davey is supposed to be an attacking player who sets up general play and attacks.

Yet Hocking has the same amount of disposals (1 more to be precise).
Hocking has more than double the number of tackles (51 to 23)
Hocking has more than double the number of Inside 50's (35 to 15)
Same number of goals.
Same number of goal assists.

Fans thoughts on Davey just before injury.

http://demonology.midnight.net.au/Index.PHP?Mode=Forum&SubMode=DisplayPosts&MessageThreadID=34655&BoardType=0

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=818232
Post 37 onwards is May 20

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:aDsN4Xbx0VMJ:demonland.com/forums/index.php%3F/topic/26061-aaron-davey/+aaron+davey+dropped&cd=6&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=au&source=www.google.com.au

And Davey's coach?

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/tabid/7415/default.aspx?newsid=114426

Any way your opinion became irrelevant when you said that you haven't watched much of either side. No idea why you would bother arguing something if you don't even watch them.

http://static.black-frames.net/images/please-stop.jpg

Maddog37
07-06-2011, 08:00 PM
Interesting that Malthouse is all fire and brimstone about cheating one week and then his little pet Daisy claims he was trying to hit the ball when he was watching it two meters away as he hit Jones.

Wonder if Mick will publicly denounce his player for blatantly lying to the review panel.

LostDoggy
07-06-2011, 08:20 PM
I must be the only one that would want a creative player over a tagger then. Dont need to watch every minute to know the value of someone like Davey is better than a tagger. Not sure how 8 rounds of form so has made him a better player than a club b&f just a couple of seasons back. Maybe hocking is at his peak has been very good this year and Davey has been poor but Davey is more likely turn it around and maybe win a game for Melb. Not sure hocking or winderlich could do that for Essendon.

azabob
07-06-2011, 08:23 PM

Grimes and Garland are big outs for the dees.

Topdog
07-06-2011, 08:59 PM
The stats suggest otherwise Chops

Sockeye Salmon
07-06-2011, 10:05 PM
Interesting that Malthouse is all fire and brimstone about cheating one week and then his little pet Daisy claims he was trying to hit the ball when he was watching it two meters away as he hit Jones.

Wonder if Mick will publicly denounce his player for blatantly lying to the review panel.

I don't get this.

Why do the media let Thomas get away with such a blatant lie.

I can hear them now, "a person of the highest integrity"

Call him out. You lied, as of now we can't believe anything you say.

The Coon Dog
07-06-2011, 10:05 PM
This thread feels like Groundhog day!

comrade
07-06-2011, 10:08 PM
This thread feels like Groundhog day!

I7NHCy13ZLk

Desipura
08-06-2011, 08:47 AM
The stats suggest otherwise Chops

Dont you know you only use stats when it supports your argument. ;)

LostDoggy
08-06-2011, 11:01 AM
Dont you know you only use stats when it supports your argument. ;)

Not sure why you are getting involved here? You ignore any stats like Gias 5 and the swans final last year. You most likely more unhappy with Gia kicking 5 than us losing by 61.
I used stats anyway like b&f winner

The Coon Dog
08-06-2011, 11:36 AM
I'll be glad when round 12 starts!

Desipura
08-06-2011, 12:42 PM
Not sure why you are getting involved here? You ignore any stats like Gias 5 and the swans final last year. You most likely more unhappy with Gia kicking 5 than us losing by 61.
I used stats anyway like b&f winner

Touchy touchy..its not like you get involved when I want you to shut up!:rolleyes:
Look at all our leaders record in BIG finals and you will find they have not produced. I am going over old ground, unfortunately you either dont read my previous posts or just dont understand or dont want to understand this.
Who judges B&F? I rest my case

Remi Moses
13-06-2011, 05:47 PM
I don't.

They have been smashed in the media. As deserved as it was, this is a sweet victory for their players tonight.

Melbourne over celebrate wins. Proven today every time I see a coach run on the field after a win back the opposition next week!Bailey's done at seasons end, similar to us they haven't
Implemented the press and cannot counter it

The Adelaide Connection
13-06-2011, 06:25 PM
I am just catching up on some unread threads so this comes a little late and has nothing to do with the (already lengthy) argument, but Comrade that Dawson pic was epic. :D

Greystache
14-06-2011, 10:26 AM
Melbourne over celebrate wins. Proven today every time I see a coach run on the field after a win back the opposition next week!Bailey's done at seasons end, similar to us they haven't
Implemented the press and cannot counter it

Having watched Melbourne the past 2 weeks I think Friday night could be an interesting game. Both sides play the out of date play on at all costs game plan, use chains of handball through the corridor, neither press up, and neither try to lock the ball into their forward line. It could be like a game from 2008, with the ball rebounding from end to end.