PDA

View Full Version : The last 2 games?

GVGjr
20-08-2007, 12:01 PM
Is there anything we can do to salvaged something out of an otherwise very disappointing season?
Looking at some of the positives:
We have rotated 6 first gamers through the team this year so little would be gained by trying anyone else who has missed out.

Power has done well with a couple of tagging jobs so I'd like to see that happen over the next two weeks as well.
Ray has improved as a player but is still a fair way off the level I think he could play so would a move to the half back be in order?
Everitt has been very good and I think he could be a handful as a 3rd tall in the forward line.
Tiller has done enough to keep his spot for the remainder of the season.

Other than that I don't think there is much more we can do.

Would a farewell game for Robbins be in order? Should we return McMahon back into the seniors?

And finally, should McDougall be given a job against one of the Hawks tall forwards?

Go_Dogs
20-08-2007, 12:14 PM
McDougall surely must get opportunities in the last 2 games. If he can hold down a third key defender spot next year, I'd like to think we'd take that. We've seemingly been a bit reluctant though to concede McDougall to the backline. Ideally, it would be nice for Robbins to get a farewell game, and it could be on the cards. Depending on the situation with Addison/Harbrow - if their both fit to play I'd like to see them come back in for another run. Wight too.

I'd like to see either Williams/Wight/Everitt get a crack at Buddy. Harris to play forward for a few weeks. Higgins to get more midfield time. Ray off the half back has some merit too. His marking could be a good feature down there, as would his run. Could we perhaps give Gilbee a midfield license for a few weeks? I'd like to see Tiller keep playing also, he's been doing OK - and I think he will build his muscle over his frame quite nicely over the next few years, he sure has a wonderful platform to build on.

If Harbrow and Addison could play, I think it would be beneficial for them too, the next 2 games are against sides in top 4 form this year who are obviously very fit and playing some great football.

Power must continue to get a tagging job, let's see him on Hodge or Mitchell this week, and perhaps Harvey or Harris the week after.

At least we'll be getting an early start to the pre-season, we need it.

Sockeye Salmon
20-08-2007, 12:25 PM
One positive is the development of our backline as a whole.

Harris, Williams, Everitt, Hargrave and Morris give us good size and will for years. Mcdougall is a wildcard. If his last 6 weeks with Werribee (and v Melbourne) are a guide he could be another big body. We have a number of players who can play that creative role OK - Gilbee, McMahon (if he stays and I don't think he will), Griffen, even Murphy.

I'd like to see Harris play CHF in the last two games and play Mcdougall on Roughead and Petrie. We know Harris can do the job at FB, can he play forward as well? Can Mcdougall cut it in the backline at AFL level?

One of the obstacles to this is Grant and Darcy and what to do with them.

Bulldog Revolution
20-08-2007, 12:29 PM
Is there anything we can do to salvaged something out of an otherwise very disappointing season?
Looking at some of the positives:
We have rotated 6 first gamers through the team this year so little would be gained by trying anyone else who has missed out.

Power has done well with a couple of tagging jobs so I'd like to see that happen over the next two weeks as well.
Ray has improved as a player but is still a fair way off the level I think he could play so would a move to the half back be in order?
Everitt has been very good and I think he could be a handful as a 3rd tall in the forward line.
Tiller has done enough to keep his spot for the remainder of the season.

Other than that I don't think there is much more we can do.

Would a farewell game for Robbins be in order? Should we return McMahon back into the seniors?

And finally, should McDougall be given a job against one of the Hawks tall forwards?

I think you've summed the season up pretty well and agree with your thoughts on Power, Tiller and Ray - they are doing a good job of blooding Everitt and moving him around - and that he needs to be in the action not up forwrd. IMO Robbins deserves a farewell game - he has been a great servant of the club and given it his all. McMahon is just not in good touch, I'd leave it up to his form as to whether he is selected.

I dont really care if McDougall plays - I guess its up to them and where he fits in our plans

Templeton31
20-08-2007, 01:05 PM
What has happened to Addison? He isnt in any of the Bees reports for a while now so I assume he has a decent injury? Have I missed something. Certainly the Dogs weekly injury report seems to be a work of fiction to me.

Anyway if Robbins and Grant say they're finishing then that means, at least for the last game, the possibility of 3 spots taken i.e. less of a chance to try different players. and as GVG points out we have had a few debuts and put time into various younguns this season. I would also say that, as best as I can tell watching the TV, that WIlliams & Shaggy seem to have had short bursts in the fwd line last 2 weeks and Everitt seemed to have a short burst against the crows. Everitt could be a fwd line go as he seems to have so much footy-nous he should get to the right spots. I certainly would like to see Doogs play the last two games. Against the Hawks he could be given a crack at Boyle with possibility of shift fwd. I disagree with trying McDougall on Franklin or Roughhead as he's not really coming from a postion of confidence and it wouldnt be fair to have Franklin tear him a new one.

Power has done well last 3 weeks now in that tagging role. I never would've thought of that!

GVGjr
20-08-2007, 01:11 PM
What has happened to Addison? He isnt in any of the Bees reports for a while now so I assume he has a decent injury? Have I missed something. Certainly the Dogs weekly injury report seems to be a work of fiction to me.

Addison played the previous week but was missing before that for a couple of weeks as well.
Yes the injury report that the club produces is not worth much in terms of accuracy.

I certainly would like to see Doogs play the last two games. Against the Hawks he could be given a crack at Boyle with possibility of shift fwd. I disagree with trying McDougall on Franklin or Roughhead as he's not really coming from a postion of confidence and it wouldnt be fair to have Franklin tear him a new one.

Power has done well last 3 weeks now in that tagging role. I never would've thought of that!

I think Doogs would be a good match-up on Boyle but he isn't quick enough to tackle Franklin. Perhaps Morris, Hargrave or Williams might have to play on Franklin.

westdog54
20-08-2007, 05:49 PM
I think you've summed the season up pretty well and agree with your thoughts on Power, Tiller and Ray - they are doing a good job of blooding Everitt and moving him around - and that he needs to be in the action not up forwrd. IMO Robbins deserves a farewell game - he has been a great servant of the club and given it his all. McMahon is just not in good touch, I'd leave it up to his form as to whether he is selected.

I dont really care if McDougall plays - I guess its up to them and where he fits in our plans

As far as I am concerned, With finals out of reach, round 22 should be a farewell game for Darcy and Robbins. Both have been wonderful servants of the club and deserve nothing less.

I'm glad Power has found a role to play. Despite his decision making at times he is a damn good player and his defensive game is one of the the pest at our club.

Next year will be McDougall's year, but I would like to see him play out the season.

Everitt needs to stay in defence IMO, this is where his future lies.

If McMahon's form at Werribee warrants it then I'd like to see him play one of the last two games.

A bit OT, but here's a positive for next year, how's this for a potential backline:

Gilbee, Harris, Morris
McDougall, Williams, Everitt.

Only one player under 190cm, and speed to burn all around.

bornadog
21-08-2007, 12:08 AM
A bit OT, but here's a positive for next year, how's this for a potential backline:

Gilbee, Harris, Morris
McDougall, Williams, Everitt.

Only one player under 190cm, and speed to burn all around.

Releases Griffen to midfield and perhaps if McMahon stays, to a wing. I have heard Eade talk about Everitt playng up the ground, so some options there.

I am still not convinced with Power and whether he is in our future best 22. He has two weeks to prove something, but I would prefer to do a deal with Brisbane for one of there young ruckman. Playing with his Brother may appeal to him and Brisbane.

Go_Dogs
21-08-2007, 10:42 AM
If we can trade Sam for a ruck, I agree that we should try too. Between guys like Boyd/Ray/Addison we have a few future tagging options, and although Sammy has had a good month, with a full list and a lot of younger running types coming through, he'll be under pressure. He always seems to lift come the end of year doesn't he?

Griff into the midfield has to be a certainty next year - he's served his backline apprenticeship surely.

westdog54
21-08-2007, 01:51 PM
Releases Griffen to midfield and perhaps if McMahon stays, to a wing. I have heard Eade talk about Everitt playng up the ground, so some options there.

I am still not convinced with Power and whether he is in our future best 22. He has two weeks to prove something, but I would prefer to do a deal with Brisbane for one of there young ruckman. Playing with his Brother may appeal to him and Brisbane.

Power has done himself a massive favour in the last month. He's not only increased his chances of being retained as a tagger, he's also given himself some currency should he be shopped around at season's end.

Obviously Leunberger will be staying put, Charman may be too old but we do need a quality ruckman sooner rather than later, would Brisbane part with Charman or Wood for the right deal?

Templeton31
21-08-2007, 02:46 PM
Power has done himself a massive favour in the last month. He's not only increased his chances of being retained as a tagger, he's also given himself some currency should he be shopped around at season's end.

Obviously Leunberger will be staying put, Charman may be too old but we do need a quality ruckman sooner rather than later, would Brisbane part with Charman or Wood for the right deal?

I agree about sam. Has gone up in everyones estimations. Given Clayon's well recorded fondness for Jarred Brenan I wonder whether a straight swap would be the go. I suspect Brisbane wouldn't go for it.

westdog54
21-08-2007, 05:08 PM
I agree about sam. Has gone up in everyones estimations. Given Clayon's well recorded fondness for Jarred Brenan I wonder whether a straight swap would be the go. I suspect Brisbane wouldn't go for it.

I think you're right there. Having said that, one thought has just crossed my mind.

In regards to Brisbane, would there be a lingering resentment with some Brisbane players over Aker's departure? Would this be a consideration at trade time?

bornadog
21-08-2007, 06:23 PM
I think you're right there. Having said that, one thought has just crossed my mind.

In regards to Brisbane, would there be a lingering resentment with some Brisbane players over Aker's departure? Would this be a consideration at trade time?

I don't think so, the point more is would they want some one like Power?