PDA

View Full Version : What's worse - being racially vilified or being labelled a rapist?

Topdog
06-06-2011, 07:50 PM
One was done during an AFL match and basically caught on camera. The other at a VFL game.

For one you get fined $7000, the other banned from attending the football for 3 months and won't be allowed back unless you attend training and write a letter of apology to the offended person.

Oh and one came out and lied about it again to a TV audience.

LostDoggy
06-06-2011, 07:53 PM
Racism for me.

comrade
06-06-2011, 08:04 PM
Racism.

Yeah, Mick said it (and then lied about it) but it's not as if he was way off the mark. I yell the same thing at every St Kilda match, too :)

I'd never comment on a player's race, though.

Topdog
06-06-2011, 08:12 PM
Yeah, Mick said it (and then lied about it) but it's not as if he was way off the mark. I yell the same thing at every St Kilda match, too :)

haha I knew that would come up.

Racism is also worse for me btw but I am staggered at the difference in "punishment" for the 2. Labelling someone a rapist is just an absolute no go zone in my book, yet it's a $7,000 fine (peanuts for Mick who is on > $500,000 a year - probably a lot more).

The Underdog
06-06-2011, 08:13 PM
I assumed this thread was rhetorical, but I'll jump in.

Given Milne wasn't ever charged (we'll leave that discussion to another time) it's probably time to give it a rest. If he was ever found guilty, I'd be at the front of the queue to abuse.
Racism is just unacceptable. I can't believe the incident at Port Melbourne happened in this day and age (or given the state of our political climate, maybe I can).

AndrewP6
06-06-2011, 08:13 PM
Can't see why one would be more (or less) acceptable than the other.

LostDoggy
06-06-2011, 08:25 PM
What about labelling a player a crim, gay, female, etc? I think half of the insults we know are BS so it's water off a ducks back just with milney it's close to the truth.

Ghost Dog
06-06-2011, 08:59 PM

Given Milne wasn't ever charged (we'll leave that discussion to another time) it's probably time to give it a rest. If he was ever found guilty, I'd be at the front of the queue to abuse.
Racism is just unacceptable. I can't believe the incident at Port Melbourne happened in this day and age (or given the state of our political climate, maybe I can).

We've come along way since Tony shaw circa 1990
"I'd make a racist comment any day, if I thought it would give us an advantage".

Can you imagine for a second all the stuff Libba, Dimma and Romero must have copped?
At least Libba could give as good as he got.

bornadog
06-06-2011, 09:34 PM
Racism

LostDoggy
07-06-2011, 01:58 PM
I found it interesting that McGuire cracked it when one of his players was insulted this week, after last years Malthouse/Milne incident and many years of pies fans insults.

Hot_Doggies
07-06-2011, 03:33 PM
How is "kick him while he's down" racist?

Eddie getting carried away?

LostDoggy
07-06-2011, 04:28 PM

For mine, racism is much worse. Majak had no choice in his skin colour or background, Milne's abuse is a result of something he (allegedly) did or didn't do. Maybe I just feel that way because I doubt his innocence…

I'm not as surprised and shocked as everybody else is though at the bloke saying what he did in Port Melbourne. Now, I am in no way defending what that bloke did or said, I think he should never be allowed at any football match ever again, but with the government and media ramming refugees and boat people down our throats, and idiot bogan shows like ACA or TT showing stories like “Do Lebanese people charge you more for a car in Lakemba if you're white? (last night)” then it's bloody hard to “educate”, especially for the older generations who are starting from much further back. The bloke who abused Daw isn't going to be rehabilitated by attending some government-backed education program, when he gets home to see politicians and “journalists” blaming all of our country's woes on foreigners.

I think it's disgraceful how racist Australia is. Try being an Indigenous Aussie in WA or outback QLD. Try being an Indian student/taxi driver, abused constantly for “taking our jobs”, even though Anglo Aussies don't want to do them. At my company we have Indian employees on tech support, and they are abused every single day by morons who think they've been transferred to Mumbai.

So don't be so shocked when it boils over at a sporting match. We all need to take some responsibility and stand up to these attitudes because our governments or media aren't about to any time soon. People in a democracy get the government they ask for. Next time you vote, don't vote for whoever gives you the most money in your pocket, vote for somebody able to deal with real issues like this one.

Topdog
07-06-2011, 05:06 PM
I found it interesting that McGuire cracked it when one of his players was insulted this week, after last years Malthouse/Milne incident and many years of pies fans insults.

Exactly and he is still going on about it now.

Eddie being a moron. Honestly what Krak did was disgusting behaviour and whilst he has done his time (well part of it anyway) he should expect to be called out on what he did.

AndrewP6
07-06-2011, 06:54 PM
For mine, racism is much worse. Majak had no choice in his skin colour or background, Milne's abuse is a result of something he (allegedly) did or didn't do. Maybe I just feel that way because I doubt his innocence…

I'm not as surprised and shocked as everybody else is though at the bloke saying what he did in Port Melbourne. Now, I am in no way defending what that bloke did or said, I think he should never be allowed at any football match ever again, but with the government and media ramming refugees and boat people down our throats, and idiot bogan shows like ACA or TT showing stories like “Do Lebanese people charge you more for a car in Lakemba if you're white? (last night)” then it's bloody hard to “educate”, especially for the older generations who are starting from much further back. The bloke who abused Daw isn't going to be rehabilitated by attending some government-backed education program, when he gets home to see politicians and “journalists” blaming all of our country's woes on foreigners.

I think it's disgraceful how racist Australia is. Try being an Indigenous Aussie in WA or outback QLD. Try being an Indian student/taxi driver, abused constantly for “taking our jobs”, even though Anglo Aussies don't want to do them. At my company we have Indian employees on tech support, and they are abused every single day by morons who think they've been transferred to Mumbai.

So don't be so shocked when it boils over at a sporting match. We all need to take some responsibility and stand up to these attitudes because our governments or media aren't about to any time soon. People in a democracy get the government they ask for. Next time you vote, don't vote for whoever gives you the most money in your pocket, vote for somebody able to deal with real issues like this one.

That'd be none of them then ;)
Seriously, I agree with pretty much everything you posted.

AndrewP6
07-06-2011, 06:55 PM

Very good question, I had a long 'debate' (read: argument) with a mate last night about this. Eddie's only sooking because one of his precious blokes was involved.

Swoop
08-06-2011, 11:48 AM
Apparently the bloke who Eddie was upset with rebutted that he go over to the Collingwood cheer squad and listen to the supporters calling Milne a rapist, hard to argue with that one considering his comments weren't racist.

The Coon Dog
08-06-2011, 11:53 AM
Wonder what Eddie has to say about this 'lady' 11 secs in:

cfDTLX-asiA

The Underdog
08-06-2011, 12:17 PM

cfDTLX-asiA

What a delightful woman. She clearly wears a jumper with "*!*!*!*!ing black *!*!*!*!" and white stripes.

ratsmac
08-06-2011, 10:48 PM

Spot on BAS

LostDoggy
08-06-2011, 11:02 PM

cfDTLX-asiA

People like her need to stop breeding.

chef
09-06-2011, 07:48 AM

cfDTLX-asiA

It's surprising nothing has been made of this. What year was that TCD?

LostDoggy
09-06-2011, 10:24 AM
Excuse my ignorance, I pretty much ignored all things AFL last weekend. What actually happened?

ratsmac
09-06-2011, 11:50 AM
What's worse - being racially vilified or being labelled a rapist?
Being Stephen Milne

AndrewP6
09-06-2011, 09:35 PM
Excuse my ignorance, I pretty much ignored all things AFL last weekend. What actually happened?

At the Pies game, some clown was getting into Andrew Krakhead...er, sorry, Krakouer. Eddie Everywhere took him to task, and was shown on camera having a verbal stoush. Came out and basically accused the bloke of racial abuse against Krakouer. It came to light that the bloke made a comment to "kick him while he's down", which in Eddie's self-centred world, is racial abuse.

At Werribee's VFL game, North-listed Majak Daw was subject to some racial abuse from a spectator, who was thereafter turfed out of the ground, and, I believe, banned for a year (this might not be accurate, I'm willing to be corrected!)...

So, Majak was racially abused, whilst Eddie sooked because someone was mean to one of his players. ;)

LostDoggy
10-06-2011, 08:25 AM

Agree with you mostly, although I don't particularly like slanderous abuse either. Don't think we should stand for either!

LostDoggy
10-06-2011, 10:28 AM
At the Pies game, some clown was getting into Andrew Krakhead...er, sorry, Krakouer. Eddie Everywhere took him to task, and was shown on camera having a verbal stoush. Came out and basically accused the bloke of racial abuse against Krakouer. It came to light that the bloke made a comment to "kick him while he's down", which in Eddie's self-centred world, is racial abuse.

At Werribee's VFL game, North-listed Majak Daw was subject to some racial abuse from a spectator, who was thereafter turfed out of the ground, and, I believe, banned for a year (this might not be accurate, I'm willing to be corrected!)...

So, Majak was racially abused, whilst Eddie sooked because someone was mean to one of his players. ;)

Thanks Andrew, I was a tad confused by the OP about the $7,000 fine. I assume that was in reference to Mick Malthouse abusing Milne last year? Or did someone get fined last weekend?

Love the youtube video Coon Dog put up. I wonder if Eddie will have words with her?? ;)

Topdog
10-06-2011, 05:01 PM
The $7k was Malthouse's fine last year. Correct.