PDA

View Full Version : Chris Pelchen - aka 'The Pelican'

Jasper
07-06-2011, 09:30 PM
I note the recent thread examining James Fantasia. At the same time Pelchen has resigned.

Now before blood rushes to our heads...I wonder if the Pelican could be looked at:

The Situation

Our situation at present mirrors the Hawks team that cost Schwabby his job at Hawthorn. Schwab predicted a grand final and they finished near the bottom. Smorgo has done something similar and we are heading down. In short Hawks of early 2000's and us now are both underachieving.

Both clubs had a number of aging players, and list cleanout is probably overdue after non performance

Pelican Positives

- He is ruthless
- He appears to be a good negotiator on player salaries, I look at Hawks list and wonder how they can fit so many 'A' graders on their list, Franklin, Mitchell, Cyril, Roughead, Hodge, and then recruit Gibson and Burgoyne.
- He often gets his man - see Gibson and Burgoyne
- He has had some success at drafting (albeit mixed), but hey he did draft Roughead and Buddy and Lewis and Cyril
- Pelican has experienced and succeeded with a team in a similar circumstances to us

Pelican Negatives

- I don't like him, I don't like the way he has repeatedly shafted other clubs over the years, however he's not the only one Essendon and Collingwood have done the same, and since 2000 those three clubs with this ruthless approach have won premierships
- He may have an oversized ego
- He has had some horror drafts (but then injury cruelled him on a few like Thorpe and was it Dowler or Muston...)

When I look at it, is it the ingrained hatred of Pelican that is stopping us from discussing something that should be obvious?? That is the appointment of Pelican as head of football operations at our club?? Interested in others' thoughts...

Sedat
07-06-2011, 09:41 PM
We actually sounded him out prior to hiring Fantasia but he politely declined at the time.

Just to clarify, Roughead and Franklin were drafted by Buckenara and not by Pelican. Rioli was definitely his, and it was a masterstroke. As an aside, he was also dead against drafting Dew but was overridden by Clarkson. I think Pelican lies somewhere near the middle, overrated as a recruiter and underrated as a list manager and contract negotiator. I personally don't like him or his modus operandi but he would certainly be worth consideration if our end of season review concluded that we needed a new footy operations manager.

Bulldog Revolution
07-06-2011, 09:50 PM
Its going to be very interesting to see where Pelchen bobs up

I think he is the kind of guy you love when he is on your team, but hate when is not

Jasper
07-06-2011, 09:58 PM
We actually sounded him out prior to hiring Fantasia but he politely declined at the time.

Just to clarify, Roughead and Franklin were drafted by Buckenara and not by Pelican. Rioli was definitely his, and it was a masterstroke. As an aside, he was also dead against drafting Dew but was overridden by Clarkson. I think Pelican lies somewhere near the middle, overrated as a recruiter and underrated as a list manager and contract negotiator. I personally don't like him or his modus operandi but he would certainly be worth consideration if our end of season review concluded that we needed a new footy operations manager.

Thks for the clarification, and tend to agree with your summation. I believe intensive list management is going to be required, perhaps give Dalrymple another year as the recruiter but with him reporting to Pelican. I tended to agree with Pelican re Dew, I think the odds were with Dew failing, but it paid off.

Interested in your thoughts re whether you would have Pelican or Fantasy in charge...???

Greystache
07-06-2011, 10:46 PM
Its going to be very interesting to see where Pelchen bobs up

I think he is the kind of guy you love when he is on your team, but hate when is not

There was talk about Essendon on Friday, but nothing seems to have come of that since.

boydogs
07-06-2011, 11:20 PM

Would others agree with this?

chef
08-06-2011, 07:00 AM

Only cause he really wanted Zaharakis(I know Dew played a huge part in a Flag).

Maddog37
08-06-2011, 08:59 AM
Heard he was talking to Robson at the bombers and Kennet heard about it and told him to piss off.

Sedat
08-06-2011, 09:38 AM
Only cause he really wanted Zaharakis(I know Dew played a huge part in a Flag).
I actually agree with Pelican in this instance. Dew was 124kgs when drafted and it goes without saying that he was an extremely high risk proposition. It all worked out beautifully in the end but Zaharakis would be a very welcome, and more importantly, long term addition to Hawthorn running brigade.

LostDoggy
08-06-2011, 12:19 PM
Not sure Hawks would have won the 08 gf without Dew.

Sockeye Salmon
08-06-2011, 01:25 PM
I actually agree with Pelican in this instance. Dew was 124kgs when drafted and it goes without saying that he was an extremely high risk proposition. It all worked out beautifully in the end but Zaharakis would be a very welcome, and more importantly, long term addition to Hawthorn running brigade.

Dew and Zaharakis weren't even in the same draft

LostDoggy
08-06-2011, 02:17 PM

DZ Rd 2 P 23 2008. Dew Rd 3 P 46 2007.

Topdog
08-06-2011, 02:23 PM

Correct, Dew = 2007. Zaha = 2008

Sedat
08-06-2011, 03:00 PM
I think Chef might be right. From memory, Zaharakis was eligible in the 2007 draft as a bottom ager but didn't get drafted until the following season. Dew was the final selection for the Hawks in 2007, so Pelican was presumably wanting the bottom ager at that selection instead of Dew.

Happy Days
08-06-2011, 03:55 PM
I think Chef might be right. From memory, Zaharakis was eligible in the 2007 draft as a bottom ager but didn't get drafted until the following season. Dew was the final selection for the Hawks in 2007, so Pelican was presumably wanting the bottom ager at that selection instead of Dew.

Correct, there was a big article about it after Zaharakis' ANZAC Day goal.

Topdog
08-06-2011, 06:07 PM
In that instance surely they could have rookied him

Happy Days
08-06-2011, 06:10 PM
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/hawks-eyed-bomber/story-e6frf9l6-1225707032563

Maybe Clarkson really didn't rate him?

GVGjr
08-06-2011, 06:20 PM
In that instance surely they could have rookied him

No, there is an age requirement for rookies to stop clubs stockpiling junior footballers before they are ready.

chef
08-06-2011, 07:19 PM

I heard Pelican mention it on radio a while ago.

Desipura
13-07-2011, 03:17 PM
If you can recall Pelchen offered us a rookie for Josh Hill, we said no thanks.
By the way that rookie was Suckling..............hmmmm hindsight is a wonderful thing.

The Coon Dog
13-07-2011, 05:00 PM
If you can recall Pelchen offered us a rookie for Josh Hill, we said no thanks.
By the way that rookie was Suckling..............hmmmm hindsight is a wonderful thing.

That's news to me. When you alluded to it last week I went back through the threads around that time & could find no reference to it at all & couldn't remember them offering up a player either.

Desipura
14-07-2011, 06:26 AM
That's news to me. When you alluded to it last week I went back through the threads around that time & could find no reference to it at all & couldn't remember them offering up a player either.

It was reported at the time, I can recall this no name rookie had a long beautiful kick on him (as I looked up his profile)

The Coon Dog
14-07-2011, 07:38 AM
It was reported at the time, I can recall this no name rookie had a long beautiful kick on him (as I looked up his profile)

Fair enough. Does anyone else recall it?

chef
14-07-2011, 07:41 AM
Fair enough. Does anyone else recall it?

I can remember something about being offered a rookie with a draft pick for Hill, not sure where I heard/read it though.

The Coon Dog
14-07-2011, 10:10 AM
Just spoke to James Fantasia & he said that at trade time clubs throw up lots of names in all sorts of scenarios but basically 3 categories: those off limits, those that are worth discussing & those that in all likelihood will be moved on anyway. This happens between all clubs during trade week.

So whilst there were discussions with Hawthorn there was no suggestion of Suckling being part of a trade for Josh Hill.

bornadog
14-07-2011, 10:15 AM
Just spoke to James Fantasia & he said that at trade time clubs throw up lots of names in all sorts of scenarios but basically 3 categories: those off limits, those that are worth discussing & those that in all likelihood will be moved on anyway. This happens between all clubs during trade week.

So whilst there were discussions with Hawthorn there was no suggestion of Suckling being part of a trade for Josh Hill.

Excellent, thats how I remember it

Desipura
14-07-2011, 01:44 PM

With all due respect to you and Fantasia, the proposed deal with the rookie may have just been an unsubstantiated rumour.
However do you think Fantasia would admit it was Suckling they offered given how good he has been this year?

The Coon Dog
14-07-2011, 01:51 PM
However do you think Fantasia would admit it was Suckling they offered given how good he has been this year?

Yes I do.

bulldogsman
14-07-2011, 02:48 PM
I follow trade week very closely and I'm certain Suckling wasn't reportedly offered up. I remember on Big Footy a few Hawks supporters talking him up and offering him as well as a draft pick for Hill. Maybe you're confusing yourself with that?

Desipura
14-07-2011, 03:49 PM
I follow trade week very closely and I'm certain Suckling wasn't reportedly offered up. I remember on Big Footy a few Hawks supporters talking him up and offering him as well as a draft pick for Hill. Maybe you're confusing yourself with that?

No, I am not mistaken, I can also recall talking to a Hawks mate at work suggesting that Pelchen is kidding if he thinks we would give up Hill for a rookie.

Desipura
14-07-2011, 04:49 PM
No its not, here is the article. Either it has been reported incorrectly or Fantasia has forgotten or in denial.

Blues, Tigers swap Grigg, Collins
Greg Denham From: The Australian October 09, 2010 12:00AM Increase Text Size Decrease Text Size Print Email Share Add to Digg Add to del.icio.us Add to Facebook Add to Kwoff Add to Myspace Add to Newsvine What are these?
OUT-OF-CONTRACT Carlton midfielder Shaun Grigg will switch to Richmond in a straight swap for Tigers forward Andrew Collins.

The clubs settled on the swap late yesterday after the contracted Collins agreed to cross to Princes Park.

Collins was not on the trade table until the Blues requested him in exchange for the disgruntled Grigg.

In just his second season at Punt Road, Collins made a name for himself when he was the hero of Richmond's come-from-behind win over Sydney at the MCG in round 14 with the final two goals of the match.

Contracted Richmond defender Will Thursfield will remain with the Tigers after Fremantle dropped its interest.

David Hale's fall from grace this year at North Melbourne led to yesterday's trade to Hawthorn.

The Kangaroos, who are tightening their belts and focusing on retaining the majority of their national draft selections, have agreed to subsidise the Hawks for part of Hale's remaining two-year contract. The ruckman/forward was on a deal worth as much as $850,000 for 2011 and 2012, but generally his form failed to live up to his lucrative contract.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.
End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.
North dispensed with Hale after he managed to play just two senior games in the second half of the season, and that was with the injured Drew Petrie out of action.

In return for losing Hale and keeping well below its salary cap limit, North Melbourne was handed the compensation selection Hawthorn had received from the AFL for losing Campbell Brown to the Gold Coast. In the deal, both clubs swapped lesser selections.

The Hawks' bid for Hale, 26, was better than Melbourne's offer of a second-round selection.

Hale has been an underachiever over the past few years and has rarely lived up to the form that enabled him to kick eight goals against Geelong at Skilled Stadium in round 21, 2008. He was the Kangaroos leading goal-kicker that season with 37.

The Kangaroos yesterday picked up West Coast forward Ben McKinley, saving him from the scrapheap later this month.

McKinley, who was due to be delisted by the Eagles along with uncontracted teammates Beau Wilkes and Matt Spangher, was swapped to Arden Street for a fifth-round selection.

Hawthorn's acquisition of Hale may scuttle its plans to trade in contracted Western Bulldogs forward Josh Hill. The Hawks initial deal to the Dogs for Hill involved the swap of the rookie-listed Matt Suckling, who played five games for Hawthorn this year. It was met with an immediate rejection from the Dogs.
The Bulldogs, who remain confident of landing contracted Brisbane midfielder Justin Sherman, yesterday recruited Geelong midfielder Nathan Djerrkura, 22, for a third-round selection.

Djerrkura played three games for the Cats in 2009.

The Sherman deal may continue over the weekend and into Monday's afternoon deadline after Brisbane and the Bulldogs failed to reach agreement yesterday.

Sydney has offered Sherman a lucrative four-year deal which is better than the Dogs' offer, and is prepared to compensate the Lions with a better draft selection than the Bulldogs. But Sherman has so far resisted any interest from the Swans, claiming he wants to relocate to Melbourne.

Sherman has agreed to a three-year deal with the Bulldogs if Brisbane agrees to trade him. The Bulldogs are confident they can clinch the deal.

And long-time Collingwood assistant coach Gavin Brown moved to Carlton yesterday in a similar role.

chef
14-07-2011, 05:26 PM
With all due respect to you and Fantasia, the proposed deal with the rookie may have just been an unsubstantiated rumour.

No, especially also with the way Hill has performed. Just one of those great what if moments in life:(.

bornadog
14-07-2011, 05:54 PM
No its not, here is the article. Either it has been reported incorrectly or Fantasia has forgotten or in denial.

Desi as Fantasia said, there are a lot of deals thrown on the table and there is a lot of wheeling and dealing going on. At the end it didn't happen. Who knows what they really offered and what we wanted. However, your just fantising (sorry for the pun:D) that we could have had Suckling.

The Coon Dog
14-07-2011, 06:17 PM
Thanks for posting that Desi. I honestly couldn't remember any Hawks players being mooted as part of the Hill trade. Where this article lacks credibility is its a Greg Denham one (not your fault Desi ;)).

Twodogs
14-07-2011, 06:31 PM
Thanks for posting that Desi. I honestly couldn't remember any Hawks players being mooted as part of the Hill trade. Where this article lacks credibility is its a Greg Denham one (not your fault Desi ;)).

Yep. I stopped reading pretty much as soon as I saw his name on the byline. I'm pretty sure Denham would have read it on Bigfooty himself and reported it. I'll take Fantasia's word/recollection over Denham's anyday. Denham's a hack and only just a hack by the skin of his teeth.

No offence Desi.

Maddog37
14-07-2011, 07:04 PM
Funny when Denham used to bag Aker and I would get upset listening to it. He hates him. Now I find myself agreeing with him. Times change.

GVGjr
14-07-2011, 09:27 PM
Desi as Fantasia said, there are a lot of deals thrown on the table and there is a lot of wheeling and dealing going on. At the end it didn't happen. Who knows what they really offered and what we wanted. However, your just fantising (sorry for the pun:D) that we could have had Suckling.

Fantasia would have been chasing that top 20 pick for Hill anyway.

Topdog
16-07-2011, 10:22 AM
Yep. I stopped reading pretty much as soon as I saw his name on the byline. I'm pretty sure Denham would have read it on Bigfooty himself and reported it. I'll take Fantasia's word/recollection over Denham's anyday. Denham's a hack and only just a hack by the skin of his teeth.

No offence Desi.

Yep same here.

The Coon Dog
18-07-2011, 06:16 PM
I heard that Pelchen will be announced later today as joining St.Kilda.

ledge
18-07-2011, 06:27 PM
Saint Pelchen????

AndrewP6
18-07-2011, 06:52 PM
Saint Pelchen????

Indeed.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/118855/default.aspx

Greystache
18-07-2011, 08:25 PM
I heard that Pelchen will be announced later today as joining St.Kilda.

He would fit into the culture out there perfectly!

AndrewP6
18-07-2011, 08:32 PM
He would fit into the culture out there perfectly!

He's been appointed Head of Football, "responsible for leadership and strategic direction" within the football department.