PDA

View Full Version : Greater Western Sydney throws $2m carrot at Callan Ward

BulldogBelle
08-06-2011, 09:34 AM
Greater Western Sydney throws $2m carrot at Callan Ward

Jon Ralph and Mark Stevens From: Herald Sun June 08, 2011 12:00AM 9 comments

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/greater-western-sydney-throws-2m-carrot-at-callan-ward/story-e6frf9jf-1226071330808

WESTERN Bulldog Callan Ward may have to sacrifice $2 million to remain loyal to his club, his manager Paul Connors says.

Connors revealed the size of the carrots being thrown by Greater Western Sydney, conceding he could not yet guarantee star client Dale Thomas would re-sign at Collingwood.

Ward is out of contract and being pursued by GWS, with the Bulldogs unable to match its five-year deal.

Connors, one of the league's most influential agents, told Superfooty's Front & Square players such as clients Thomas, Ward and Brisbane's Daniel Rich were being offered once-in-a-career deals.

Asked if the difference was as much as $400,000 a season, Connors replied: "More. (Their offers) are outrageous.

"If Callan Ward does want to stay at the Dogs, and I hope he does, for guys like him the quantum is huge.

"(Ward) would love to stay, but no doubt I would have thought the GWS boys wouldn't mind him in their backyard either.

"I can't even believe we're debating that players probably will stay at their clubs even though there's a $500,000 per annum difference. It wouldn't happen in rugby league, but it happens in ... AFL."

Given GWS is prepared to offer Ward at least $800,000 a season, he could pass up more than $2 million in the next five years.

Thomas will probably stay at Collingwood, but Connors said the Giants were pushing hard.

"Dale has given an indication he would like to stay at Collingwood," Connors said.

"They are his instructions to me and I am currently negotiating slowly with Collingwood.

"Would GWS like Dale Thomas? I am sure they would like him on their list.

"It just gets down to that GWS has this pile of money.

"He wants to be at Collingwood, but until he's signed I can't guarantee anything."

Connors is certain Adelaide forward Taylor Walker has signed with the Giants and says he believed Fremantle midfielder Rhys Palmer would head to the AFL's 18th club.

"They seem pretty confident they have got a few, but we haven't heard the names bandied around like with Gold Coast," he said.

"Taylor Walker for mine is going. Rhys Palmer is another I would have some money on going."

Connors has signed the certain No. 1 draft pick for GWS this year in tall Melbourne marking forward Jonathan Patton, and said his potential showed glimpses of Jonathan Brown and Wayne Carey.

He hoped Rich and Matthew Leuenberger would stay at Brisbane, but said the final year of the club's payout to sacked forward Brendan Fevola meant the club's salary cap was tight.

bulldogsthru&thru
08-06-2011, 10:04 AM
What a joke the AFL is! I am so infuraiated that we have lost Harbrow and now possibly Ward to these clubs because they can throw all this money that not even Collingwood could probably match. These 2 guys were a core part of our future and has been ripped away by the AFL just to promote 2 crappy clubs that will dominate the league for a few years then fold. I am hoping this is just a negotiating tatcic by Wards agent. I dont blame Ward if he leaves for that money. I blame the AFL. The history, loyalty and tradition of the AFL is almost gone. What with overpaying 2 NRL players to come over. Makes the AFL look so tacky and just a joke. Just wait until free agency sets in. I am losing interest of this once great competition.

And why is Ward the headline of the article. Most of it is on Thomas and i am sure GWS would go after Thomas before Ward...

The Coon Dog
08-06-2011, 10:22 AM
There is a thread on this already:

Greater Western Sydney throws $2m carrot at Callan Ward (http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=9382)

LostDoggy
08-06-2011, 09:25 PM
Very hard to expect a young man to turn down the offer of a lifetime.

WB4Life
10-06-2011, 10:26 AM
Marc Murphy resigning does not help this situation one little bit, a devastating blow should Ward decide to leave.