PDA

View Full Version : What Changes for Round 21?

bornadog
21-08-2007, 06:43 PM
Will we try some new blood or with the technically possible (realistically impossible) chance of grabbing 8th spot, put in the best team?

In: Grant, McDougall,
Out: Skipper, Tiller,

Bulldog Revolution
21-08-2007, 06:53 PM
Will we try some new blood or with the technically possible (realistically impossible) chance of grabbing 8th spot, put in the best team?

In: Grant, McDougall,
Out: Skipper, Tiller,

I thought it was Tillers most impressive performance and couldn't drop him after it

Grant will come in if fit, and I think Skipper is the candidate to go out.

LostDoggy
21-08-2007, 09:41 PM
I've given up on the thought of Faulkner being given a game or McDougall for that matter.

In Grant
Out Skipper

LostDoggy
21-08-2007, 09:43 PM
mm that one seems more likely

Skipper def performed the least out of the 3 ruckman..

Billy Blogger has the change down pat i think.

I would love to see them put someone down back to cover Harris and move Harris forward for a test in the last couple games..

LostDoggy
21-08-2007, 09:43 PM
Who do you think Campbell Brown will be given this week? Brad Johnson? With the form Brown has been in, Johnno will be in for a tough game.

Sockeye Salmon
21-08-2007, 10:17 PM
I'd love to see Mcdougall come in but he won't, even though he deserves to.

Grant to come back in for Street (I hope).

Grant > Roughead
Williams > Franklin
Hargrave > Boyle
Everitt > Dixon

Harris, Tiller and Darcy play forward.

LostDoggy
21-08-2007, 11:30 PM
Skipper def performed the least out of the 3 ruckman..

Sorry to disagree but I think Skipper might have just shaded Street last week.
Street positives were 2 contested marks and 1 inside 50 pass to to Eagle? The negatives I remember were a couple of poor defensive ruck throw in efforts which resulted in Adelaide goals and one particular spoiling attempt where he missed and was outmarked by a lot smaller player.
Skipper had a few stuff ups as well.

The stats comparisions were
Street 8 poss 7 marks 1 tackle 13 taps 2 frees for 2 against
Skipper 14 poss 4 marks 1 tackle 11 taps 2 against

bornadog
22-08-2007, 12:18 AM

You have a good point there.

Sockeye Salmon
22-08-2007, 10:14 AM
Sorry to disagree but I think Skipper might have just shaded Street last week.
Street positives were 2 contested marks and 1 inside 50 pass to to Eagle? The negatives I remember were a couple of poor defensive ruck throw in efforts which resulted in Adelaide goals and one particular spoiling attempt where he missed and was outmarked by a lot smaller player.
Skipper had a few stuff ups as well.

I went beserk when Street got outmarked by Thompson. 20 metres out, a high bomb and a 6' 11" guy can't even get a hand on it? FFS. It was easily the single worst effort by any player in an ordinary game.

Go_Dogs
22-08-2007, 10:27 AM

Grant > Roughead
Williams > Franklin
Hargrave > Boyle
Everitt > Dixon

I agree with these sentiments exactly. Would love to see Doogs back, and surely it's time to trial Harris in the forward line. As much as we can build a defence around him at FB, we can build a side around him at FF or CHF.

I had Skipper > Street last weekend too. Street is often outmarked by a much smaller player, for someone as tall and with as much weight as Street, to be outworked under a high ball is pretty poor.

Bulldog Revolution
22-08-2007, 11:40 AM
I agree with these sentiments exactly. Would love to see Doogs back, and surely it's time to trial Harris in the forward line. As much as we can build a defence around him at FB, we can build a side around him at FF or CHF.

I had Skipper > Street last weekend too. Street is often outmarked by a much smaller player, for someone as tall and with as much weight as Street, to be outworked under a high ball is pretty poor.

I just dont think Harris is a forward - every time he has a spell there he cant find the ball - I know he hasn't spent that long there, but to me it seems an omen - Harris is a backman

I thought Street was good in his return match, he misjudged the Thompson mark which was disappointing, but it wasn't the worst Bulldog mistake of the game.

Sockeye Salmon
22-08-2007, 11:55 AM
I thought Street was good in his return match, he misjudged the Thompson mark which was disappointing, but it wasn't the worst Bulldog mistake of the game.

It was easily the worst Bulldog mistake of the game and by what measurement was Street 'good'?

His ruckwork was terrible and he was a liability around the ground (as always).

Skipper might be too short to ruck but if he does get his hand on the ball he has some idea where it's going. Skipper can get around the ground and contribute other than at stop plays and is less likely to get goals kicked on him when his opponent pushes forward.

Street is Patrick-Wiggins-level poo.

LostDoggy
22-08-2007, 02:27 PM
at 209cm he should get around 30 h.o a game but he got 13 last week whilst versing a second grade ruckman in ben hudson. and i agree with sockeye in that he is a liability around the ground and skip brings much more to the team.

LostDoggy
22-08-2007, 02:37 PM
at 209cm he should get around 30 h.o a game but he got 13 last week whilst versing a second grade ruckman in ben hudson. and i agree with sockeye in that he is a liability around the ground and skip brings much more to the team.

Hudson second grade? He'd be easily getting a game for us.

Sockeye Salmon
22-08-2007, 02:45 PM
Hudson second grade? He'd be easily getting a game for us.

We wish we could have a second grade ruckman.

I dream about having a second grade ruckman.

Bulldog Revolution
22-08-2007, 03:03 PM
It was easily the worst Bulldog mistake of the game and by what measurement was Street 'good'?

His ruckwork was terrible and he was a liability around the ground (as always).

Skipper might be too short to ruck but if he does get his hand on the ball he has some idea where it's going. Skipper can get around the ground and contribute other than at stop plays and is less likely to get goals kicked on him when his opponent pushes forward.

Street is Patrick-Wiggins-level poo.

I thought Giansiracusa probably made the 2-3 worst mistakes of the game. In the 3rd quarter in the sequence after Darcy connected the hip and shoulder on Massie we had done everything defensively to hold the ball in, scrapped like crazy and get a shot on goal, we finally get some space to hit someone when the ball bobbles to Gia who chips a kick to the far side of the ground 50 metre line straight to a crow and they rebound - IMO this was one of the real sequences when the game was in the balance and we could have legitimately challenged. And then again in the fourth quarter he gets the ball on the outer half back flank/wing and centres the ball to what appeared on the TV to be no one, the ball bobbles along the ground for quite a while and then the crows take control and launch an attack.

I believe Street is our best option at the centre square - I thought he started the game well, and was certainly more productive around the ground in the first half, but Id need to see the tape again to comment too much on the second half. However, I am not by any stretch pleased with his season - and I think its definitely room full of mirrors time for him and many of his senior team mates.

To compare a 5 game full forward Wiggins with 57 odd game Street seems to me a bit of a reach. I agree Skipper is an effective ruckman for someone his height and is capable of great spells palming it to our runners.

Bulldog Revolution
22-08-2007, 03:05 PM
Who do you think Campbell Brown will be given this week? Brad Johnson? With the form Brown has been in, Johnno will be in for a tough game.

Looks likely Campbell Brown to Johnson, Sewell to Cooney

I have also given up on Faulkner being selected - Its all over for Cam, his mid season indiscretion cannot have helped

westdog54
22-08-2007, 04:31 PM

Grant > Roughead
Williams > Franklin
Hargrave > Boyle
Everitt > Dixon

Who do you see Morris playing on SS?

Sockeye Salmon
22-08-2007, 04:46 PM
Who do you see Morris playing on SS?

The beautiful thing about Morris is he could play on anyone at all.

westdog54
22-08-2007, 05:01 PM
The beautiful thing about Morris is he could play on anyone at all.

Would you maybe play Morris on Dixon and free up Everitt, let him play the 'loose-man' role?

Sockeye Salmon
22-08-2007, 05:43 PM
Would you maybe play Morris on Dixon and free up Everitt, let him play the 'loose-man' role?

He could do that easily.

I don't know who else Hawthorn play in their forward line.

Templeton31
23-08-2007, 11:16 AM
Reading the bottom of the article saying street in for knee surgery, higgins doubtful with a shoulder would suggest that now the season is really written off and any guys who are carrying injuries will be "fixed". Certainly sounds like no streeta or higgins and grant doubtful.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,22291532%255E19742,00.html

Dogs set for early start
23 August 2007 Herald Sun
Gareth Trickey

WESTERN Bulldogs players can expect a short break this summer with coach Rodney Eade signalling an early start to pre-season training.

The Bulldogs have all but missed a shot at the finals after the side slipped to 12th following Sunday's loss to Adelaide.

Eade said the club would opt for an early pre-season to boost its chances of a top-eight finish next year.

The Bulldogs coach pointed to the success of Collingwood and the Kangaroos as proof that a lengthy pre-season could transform bottom-eight sides into finals contenders.

"This competition, it is that even you need everything going for you at the right time, so I think having a good pre-season, there is no substitute for that," Eade said.

"If you have a good pre-season and get everything right, it just gives you a great base for the year."

The Bulldogs started their 2007 pre-season in the second week of November last year and were touted as a top-four side.

The side can still make the finals, but would need to win its last two games against Hawthorn and the Kangaroos.

Eade said Bulldogs players and coaching staff were disappointed at seeing their finals hopes fade.

He said the club would try to salvage what was left of the season with strong showings in the last two games.

"We think we can influence the finals whether we are in there or not," Eade said. "The pressure is on those two teams that we are playing, especially Hawthorn this week, who want to finish in the top four. We're out to spoil the party."

Veteran Chris Grant (knee) was restricted to handball drills at training yesterday.

Shaun Higgins (shoulder) is also in doubt for Sunday's match against the Hawks at Telstra Dome.

Peter Street will miss with a knee injury that is expected to require surgery.

Dry Rot
23-08-2007, 11:55 AM
Reading the bottom of the article saying street in for knee surgery, higgins doubtful with a shoulder would suggest that now the season is really written off and any guys who are carrying injuries will be "fixed". Certainly sounds like no streeta or higgins and grant doubtful.

The cupboard is getting bare - would it be McDougall, Robbins and Harbrow in then? (Assuming Faulkner's cards are marked) Or Wight?

Templeton31
23-08-2007, 12:08 PM
The cupboard is getting bare - would it be McDougall, Robbins and Harbrow in then? (Assuming Faulkner's cards are marked) Or Wight?

certainly it seems ambitous for Darce to ruck on his own. I assume Minson still gawn. WIght probably only answer as he can do ruck. Robbins would seem replacement for Higgins, especially with possible retirement on the cards.

bornadog
23-08-2007, 12:13 PM
I thought Minson is already out for the season

McMahon will most likely now come back in, with McDougall and possibly Wight. Skipper will have to take over as number one ruck.

Raw Toast
23-08-2007, 02:30 PM
I'd like McDougall to get a game as well - I think he'd be perhaps the best player to come in for Street who surely would have been dropped even if he hadn't been injured (he had a couple of good moments, a mark or two and that pass to Eagleton, but these did not compensate for some truly horrendous moments and a generally lack-lustre game).

Am I right in thinking that the only two games this year where we've had three nominal ruckman have been against Adelaide (with Minson, Darcy and Street in the first game?). In both games Eade seemed to want to play Darcy pretty much just at full-forward, perhaps to make Adelaide keep some height in the backline and for Rutten to be accountable (and also because Darcy smashed Rutten a few years back). FWIW I reckon it would be better to have gone in with say Doogs and/or Wight to share the load with Skipper and give us a bit more run as well.

If we're trying to win the game and Higgins is out, I'd bring in McMahon and rotate him through the middle/wing and up forward. I'd give Robbins a farewell game against North if need be.

westdog54
23-08-2007, 02:34 PM
He could do that easily.

I don't know who else Hawthorn play in their forward line.

As they were named last Sunday:

Bateman (Gilbee), Franklin (Williams), Crawford (Murphy?)
Hodge (Morris), Roughead (Grant), Boyle (Hargrave)

Everitt loose.

LostDoggy
23-08-2007, 03:29 PM
Am I right in thinking that the only two games this year where we've had three nominal ruckman have been against Adelaide (with Minson, Darcy and Street in the first game?). In both games Eade seemed to want to play Darcy pretty much just at full-forward, perhaps to make Adelaide keep some height in the backline and for Rutten to be accountable (and also because Darcy smashed Rutten a few years back). FWIW I reckon it would be better to have gone in with say Doogs and/or Wight to share the load with Skipper and give us a bit more run as well.

No the first Saints game we had 3 rucks.

Raw Toast
23-08-2007, 03:56 PM

Thanks, must have been more successful in wiping that game from my memory than I thought. Personally I'd be happy to get rid of Street and pick up a mature-age ruckman from the VFL (or other second-tier comp) if there was one out there who looked a decent chance of giving a contest and doing ok around the ground.

Sockeye Salmon
23-08-2007, 04:03 PM

We played 3 rucks in that game because Luke Darcy told Eade that Matthew Clarke always thrashes him.

bornadog
23-08-2007, 06:47 PM
WESTERN BULLDOGS

B: Lindsay Gilbee, Brian Harris, Dale Morris
HB: Andrejs Everitt, Tom Williams, Ryan Hargrave
C: Farren Ray, Scott West, Nathan Eagleton
HF: Daniel Giansiracusa, Brad Johnson, Robert Murphy
F: Stephen Tiller, Chris Grant, Jason Akermanis
FOLL: Luke Darcy, Adam Cooney, Matthew Boyd
I/C (from): Daniel Cross, Jarrod Harbrow, Andrew McDougall, Jordan McMahon, Sam Power, Wayde Skipper, Cameron Wight

In: Grant, Harbrow, McDougall, McMahon, Wight
Out: Shaun Higgins (shoulder), Peter Street (knee)

Templeton31
23-08-2007, 07:03 PM
If Grant is ok then presumably ins will be Grant & Harbrow? otherwise maybe Doogs & Harbrow?

southerncross
23-08-2007, 07:13 PM
If Grant is ok then presumably ins will be Grant & Harbrow? otherwise maybe Doogs & Harbrow?

Wouldn't McMahon be ahead of Harbrow for a recall?

Templeton31
23-08-2007, 07:23 PM
quite possibly. was just thinking more about who would take Higgins's fwd role.

GVGjr
23-08-2007, 07:29 PM
quite possibly. was just thinking more about who would take Higgins's fwd role.

At a guess probably Gia to play as a permanent small forward.

Sockeye Salmon
23-08-2007, 08:54 PM
I don't get it again.

Harbrow and Wight would have to miss. The third player out of Cross, Mcdougall, McMahon, Power and Skipper would be mighty unlucky.

Sockeye Salmon
23-08-2007, 09:31 PM
Is it looking like Grant and McMahon in for Street and Higgins?

It is.

Mcdougall deserves a game.

bornadog
23-08-2007, 09:47 PM
It is.

Mcdougall deserves a game.

Who would you drop?

Sockeye Salmon
23-08-2007, 10:07 PM
Who would you drop?

I'm sure there will be a few who disagree, but Eagleton.

GVGjr
23-08-2007, 10:35 PM

I'm one of those who disagrees :)

Go_Dogs
24-08-2007, 11:30 AM
I definitely disagree. Eagleton was one of our best last weekend for mine.

G-Mo77
24-08-2007, 01:40 PM
I don't get it again.

Harbrow and Wight would have to miss. The third player out of Cross, Mcdougall, McMahon, Power and Skipper would be mighty unlucky.

I agree.

The only way Harbrow or McMahon get in the side is if Grant does not play or another late change to the starting team which doesn't seem likely. There is no way Cross, Power or Skipper will be dropped.

Getting McMahon in would solve a huge problem for my fantasy teams though ;)

bornadog
25-08-2007, 12:05 AM
WESTERN BULLDOGS
B: Gilbee, Harris, Morris
HB: Everitt, Williams, Hargrave
C: Ray, West, Eagleton
HF: Giansiracusa, Johnson, Murphy
F: Tiller, McDougall, Akermanis
FOLL: Darcy, Cooney, Boyd
I/C: Cross, Power, Skipper, Wight
EM: Grant, Harbrow, McMahon
IN: McDougall, Wight
OUT: Higgins (shoulder), Street (knee)

firstdogonthemoon
25-08-2007, 08:18 AM

Posting while drunk again Sockeye?. I thought we talked about this?

mike1954
26-08-2007, 12:05 AM
I agree, Eagleton should be dropped. His disposal of the footy is pretty average and he should have kicked more goals this season. I can't work out why McMahon has been dropped a couple of times this year, considering Griffs and Gilbee have been missing. The run out of defence has been lacking at best. At least Everitt is a runner!