PDA

View Full Version : Lake out of Saints clash

bornadog
09-06-2011, 02:34 PM
Gregor Mactaggart Sportal (http://www.sportal.com.au/afl-news-display/lake-out-of-saints-clash-125707)

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/Brian_Lake-200x0.jpg

Brian Lake's annus horriblis has reached a new chapter.

The 2010 All-Australian fullback won't play for the Western Bulldogs against St Kilda on Friday night with what coach Rodney Eade described as a sore groin.

"It looks like it will only be a week I think, that's the medical feedback on that," Eade said.

"He's not playing at all on the weekend, he won't play at Williamstown."

It is a further blow to the 29-year-old, who has struggled for form and fitness in season 2011.

Hip, shoulder and knee operations over the pre-season meant he missed the first two rounds and was underdone upon his return in Round 3 against Gold Coast.

In five games, Lake has gathered just the 58 disposals, a modest return for a man renowned as the AFL's most attacking fullback.

While he kicked three goals in a late forward cameo against Geelong, Lake's belief in his body has been shaken.

"Brian's struggling for confidence in his body, not that it's the same operation as a knee reconstruction, but it's like a player coming back from that," Eade said.

"Brian's lacking confidence in his movements and what he can do, it's going to take time for him to get confidence in what he can do."

"It's a matter of Brian working through it."

Team-mate Dale Morris has backed Lake, who didn't train on Thursday, to still make an important contribution to the Dogs cause this season.

"He's got all the support from the players that he'll come good," Morris said.

"Brian's one those proud guys, he's been doing everything he can. During the off-season he had three operations and I think people underestimate how big those operations were."

The news is slightly better surrounding injured forward Barry Hall, who trained strongly, but Eade explained the earliest possible return for Hall will be when the Bulldogs host Adelaide at Etihad Stadium in Round 13.

"Barry's got to get continuity of training, he's a victim of a player that does want to play, but at his age he needs that continuity of training," Eade said.

The Bulldogs will unveil another debutant in Luke Dahlhaus, a teenager from the Geelong Falcons.

He comes in with ruckman Ben Hudson, Ed Barlow and first-year player Tom Liberatore, while Jayden Schofield is also in the selection mix.

Eade was also quizzed on his thoughts about the Saints clash being tagged as an elimination final in July.

"Even if we win, we needs to go our way, it's more about the way we go about it," Eade said.

ratsmac
09-06-2011, 03:07 PM
Gregor Mactaggart Sportal (http://www.sportal.com.au/afl-news-display/lake-out-of-saints-clash-125707)

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/Brian_Lake-200x0.jpg

Brian Lake's annus horriblis has reached a new chapter.

The 2010 All-Australian fullback won't play for the Western Bulldogs against St Kilda on Friday night with what coach Rodney Eade described as a sore groin.

"It looks like it will only be a week I think, that's the medical feedback on that," Eade said.

"He's not playing at all on the weekend, he won't play at Williamstown."

It is a further blow to the 29-year-old, who has struggled for form and fitness in season 2011.

Hip, shoulder and knee operations over the pre-season meant he missed the first two rounds and was underdone upon his return in Round 3 against Gold Coast.

In five games, Lake has gathered just the 58 disposals, a modest return for a man renowned as the AFL's most attacking fullback.

While he kicked three goals in a late forward cameo against Geelong, Lake's belief in his body has been shaken.

"Brian's struggling for confidence in his body, not that it's the same operation as a knee reconstruction, but it's like a player coming back from that," Eade said.

"Brian's lacking confidence in his movements and what he can do, it's going to take time for him to get confidence in what he can do."

"It's a matter of Brian working through it."

Team-mate Dale Morris has backed Lake, who didn't train on Thursday, to still make an important contribution to the Dogs cause this season.

"He's got all the support from the players that he'll come good," Morris said.

"Brian's one those proud guys, he's been doing everything he can. During the off-season he had three operations and I think people underestimate how big those operations were."

The news is slightly better surrounding injured forward Barry Hall, who trained strongly, but Eade explained the earliest possible return for Hall will be when the Bulldogs host Adelaide at Etihad Stadium in Round 13.

"Barry's got to get continuity of training, he's a victim of a player that does want to play, but at his age he needs that continuity of training," Eade said.

The Bulldogs will unveil another debutant in Luke Dahlhaus, a teenager from the Geelong Falcons.

He comes in with ruckman Ben Hudson, Ed Barlow and first-year player Tom Liberatore, while Jayden Schofield is also in the selection mix.

Eade was also quizzed on his thoughts about the Saints clash being tagged as an elimination final in July.

"Even if we win, we needs to go our way, it's more about the way we go about it," Eade said.

Have we elevated two rookies? If so, how?

Ozza
09-06-2011, 03:23 PM
No mention of Cooney coming back?

Desipura
09-06-2011, 03:25 PM
Why bring in Hudson and Barlow when Lake is out? I would think Roughy would be the logical replacement for Lake. Another strange selection

bornadog
09-06-2011, 03:26 PM
Have we elevated two rookies? If so, how?

Yes we have, after round 11 all clubs can promote a rookie, plus Tom Hill is out on LTI

BulldogBelle
09-06-2011, 03:46 PM
Why bring in Hudson and Barlow when Lake is out? I would think Roughy would be the logical replacement for Lake. Another strange selection

Hudson was BOG or close to it in the FOXTEL cup match

I doubt he will play on Friday night...its probably just one of those 'Ins' to continue to put pressure on players already in the team, and recognise his performance in the 2nds

If our season is cooked (we loose v St Kilda tomorow night), then I dont see the point of playing Hudson or Gilbee much for the remainder of the season. Neither of them are going to figure in our plans post 2011, so there is no point playing them apart from possibly a 'farewell' game ala Crofty - (less the contract / $$ BS!)

ratsmac
09-06-2011, 03:54 PM
Yes we have, after round 11 all clubs can promote a rookie, plus Tom Hill is out on LTI

Thanks, I did not know that. Suppose then we have seen the last of poor Mitch Hahn then :(

Desipura
09-06-2011, 04:29 PM
I hope Lake is not taking a stance not to play whilst Eade is coach. I know Eade said he should be right next week.............time will tell

BulldogBelle
09-06-2011, 04:33 PM
Thanks, I did not know that. Suppose then we have seen the last of poor Mitch Hahn then :(

If another senior listed played was placed on the Long Term Injury list later in the season, I suppose hypothetically we could elevate Mitch Hahn.

Although he would only be elevated for sentimental reasons (if senior tall forwards Hall, Jones, Grant + Roughead are all fit) to play a farewell game.

ratsmac
09-06-2011, 05:33 PM
If another senior listed played was placed on the Long Term Injury list later in the season, I suppose hypothetically we could elevate Mitch Hahn.

Although he would only be elevated for sentimental reasons (if senior tall forwards Hall, Jones, Grant + Roughead are all fit) to play a farewell game.

Well Hill should be on the LTIL because he has no heart, so yeah we might yet see Mitch again in the red white and blue

Maddog37
09-06-2011, 05:42 PM
Interesting concept that.

Can a player be placed on the LTIL with a mental problem like depression or anxiety?

Daughter of the West
09-06-2011, 05:55 PM

Can a player be placed on the LTIL with a mental problem like depression or anxiety?

Where does one go to look at the rookie rules? I'd be interested to see what the definition of a LTIL actually is. I managed to find the law book at afl.com.au, but not much else.

Ghost Dog
09-06-2011, 05:55 PM
Bring in that Rookie kid, what's his name? Hahn? ^_^

azabob
09-06-2011, 06:15 PM

Bring in that Rookie kid, what's his name? Hahn? ^_^

Why would we bring back Hahn? That would be one of the more puzzling decisions we have made all year, and we have made some puzzling ones!

Personally Hahn should not have been offered a rookie contract.

divvydan
09-06-2011, 06:35 PM
Where does one go to look at the rookie rules? I'd be interested to see what the definition of a LTIL actually is. I managed to find the law book at afl.com.au, but not much else.

From the current CBA Booklet

http://www.afl.com.au/portals/0/afl_docs/afl_hq/policies/collective_bargaining_agreement_2007_2011.pdf

Part 12.1

A long term injury means an injury or illness suffered by a Player
which, in the opinion of the AFL Medical Officer, after consultation with the AFL
Club Medical Officer, will prevent or is likely to prevent a Player, having due
regard to his health and safety, from participating in a Match for a period of not less
than eight weeks from the date the injury or illness is diagnosed.

A Player’s name may only be added to the Long Term Injury List with the
Player’s consent and with the approval of the AFL General Manager –
Football Operations

http://www.afl.com.au/portals/0/afl_docs/afl_hq/policies/collective_bargaining_agreement_2007_2011.pdf

Cyberdoggie
09-06-2011, 06:55 PM

Strange isn't it.

Perhaps Minson and Barlow will be our tall marking options seeing as we dont' really have any. Maybe providing a foil for Jones to be a 2nd 3rd option.

I'll guess we'll see how it works.

GVGjr
09-06-2011, 07:12 PM
I hope Lake is not taking a stance not to play whilst Eade is coach. I know Eade said he should be right next week.............time will tell

That seems to be a strange conclusion based on what we know.

Happy Days
09-06-2011, 07:55 PM

Was Simon Hogan from Geelong placed on the LTI list?

w3design
09-06-2011, 09:07 PM

Injury has to listed by a doctor as 8 plus weeks to be classified long term

Doc26
09-06-2011, 10:47 PM

Based on what we continue to observe and have been told that would be so.

On what we don't know and with Olerenshaw's inappropriate response this morning on SEN it's difficult not to speculate, as Desi has, particularly given such a dramatic form slump that is hard to explain as an elite player of the game.

With that said, I doubt it would be Brian's motivation, more what appears a complete lack of confidence in his ability to dominate a game.

Desipura
10-06-2011, 07:47 AM

So are you saying it's a possibility?

Bulldog Joe
10-06-2011, 08:10 AM

Anything is possible but it seems hardly probable.

If Lake were refusing to play, it would be totally disruptive and grounds for outright dismissal. He would be in breach of his contract.

Desipura
10-06-2011, 08:12 AM
Anything is possible but it seems hardly probable.

If Lake were refusing to play, it would be totally disruptive and grounds for outright dismissal. He would be in breach of his contract.

I'm not sure it's grounds for dismissal

Bulldog Joe
10-06-2011, 08:17 AM
I'm not sure it's grounds for dismissal

Try refusing to do your job and see if your employer thinks it is ok.

GVGjr
10-06-2011, 08:19 AM

I wouldn't have thought so. The fact that he asked to play against the Hawks sort of rules it out in my opinion. He's aware that he is down on form and confidence so I don't think this is coach related.

Desipura
10-06-2011, 10:12 AM
Try refusing to do your job and see if your employer thinks it is ok.
He can claim his body is not right.