PDA

View Full Version : Round 12 Team

LostDoggy
09-06-2011, 06:18 PM
IN: Barlow Cooney Stack Hudson Liberatore Dahlhaus
OUT: Hargrave (ankle) Lake (Groin) Hill, Grant, Mulligan, Wallis (all omitted) Team Announcement video shortly on BulldogsTV

From Facebook

Not happy so see Barlow there i'm not sure what he really brings that Mulligan or Marko couldn't and he's not a long term player. Bit harsh on Mullgian just getting the one game run.

Very glad to see Dahla finally in the team though. 2 Ruckman again

edit: apparently Ralph Clarke is in for the Saints so we can afford to have one player who does absolutely nothing useful and balance out the game

G-Mo77
09-06-2011, 06:27 PM
Happy to see Libba back, he's a kep part of this team now. Dahlhaus finally gets rewarded is great to see, lets hope they don't ruin this positive selection by starting him as a sub like they have with other first gamers. Cooney back is a big positive as well.

However.....

Disappointed to see Wallis get dropped again. The only guy who wanted to tackle and actually make it stick. He's still finding his feet and should be kept in the team. I think it's a very bad ommision! I'm also questioning the selection of Hudson which again pushes a ruck into the forward line who struggles to play there. I thought Mulligan deserved another shot. I'm also still very sceptical on Stack.

Excited about seeing Dahlhaus debut but the negatives outweigh the positives IMO.

LostDoggy
09-06-2011, 06:28 PM
No negatives yet til we lose.

Axe Man
09-06-2011, 06:28 PM
Not happy so see Barlow there i'm not sure what he really brings that Mulligan or Marko couldn't and he's not a long term player. Bit harsh on Mullgian just getting the one game run.

I think Barlow is much more versatile than either of those 2 players who are both pretty much key defensive stoppers only. Barlow can play any number of roles, whether he is any good at any of them is another story.

Why do you think he's not a long term player, he's only 23? He could be if he's good enough.

bornadog
09-06-2011, 06:29 PM
Western Bulldogs

B: Liam Picken, Dale Morris, Robert Murphy

HB: Brennan Stack, Tom L. Williams, Easton Wood

C: Daniel Cross, Matthew Boyd, Christian Howard

HF: Shaun Higgins, Liam Jones, Justin Sherman

F: Adam Cooney, William Minson, Daniel Giansiracusa

Foll: Ben Hudson, Ryan Griffen, Callan Ward

I/C: Ed Barlow, Nathan Djerrkura, Thomas Liberatore, Luke Dahlhaus

Emg: James Mulligan, Mitchell Wallis, Jayden Schofield

In: Ed Barlow, Adam Cooney, Brennan Stack, Ben Hudson, Thomas Liberatore, Luke Dahlhaus

Out: Ryan Hargrave (Ankle), Brian Lake (Groin), Josh Hill, Jarrad Grant, James Mulligan, Mitchell Wallis

New: Ed Barlow (Oakleigh Chargers), Luke Dahlhaus (Geelong Falcons)

St Kilda

B: Sean Dempster, Zac Dawson, Steven Baker

HB: Jason Gram, Sam Fisher, James Gwilt

C: Brendon Goddard, David Armitage, Clinton Jones

HF: Brett Peake, Sam Gilbert, Adam Schneider

F: Stephen Milne, Nick Riewoldt, Tom Simpkin
Foll: Ben McEvoy, Nick Dal Santo, Jack Steven

I/C: Raphael Clarke, Farren Ray, Tom Ledger, Ryan Gamble

Emg: Tommy Walsh, Arryn Siposs, Dean Polo

In: Raphael Clarke, Jason Gram, Ryan Gamble

Out: Leigh Montagna (Knee), Arryn Siposs, Dean Polo

G-Mo77
09-06-2011, 06:29 PM
No negativeS yet til we lose.

I guess that's my pessimism kicking in. :)

LostDoggy
09-06-2011, 06:30 PM
Hmmm. Sure there's a reason but i just don't agree with dropping first gamers unless they're injured or been given the bath the week before and not followed instructions. if this is the case then fine.

Zeph was out after a quarter. Mulligan fought a battle he was never going to win last week. Even Wallis is in and out, and he had 9 tackles or more last week IIRC. Leave them in this season if they're not injured and followed instructions.

Remi Moses
09-06-2011, 06:34 PM
I thought Vezspremi would get a gig!
Hargrave plays a week then goes out with the same ailment!
Why did he play last week?
What Role for Barlow? Swingman ruckman? We have 2 already!
At least young Dollhouse got a gig.Look for Cooney to play this week then go out next week with the same ailment. Cue the Benny Hill Music someone

Axe Man
09-06-2011, 06:35 PM
Does anybody know who rucks for the saints when McEvoy isn't in there? Seems like we should have an advantage in the ruck contests at times with no obvious second ruck.

Before I Die
09-06-2011, 06:37 PM
IN: Barlow Cooney Stack Hudson Liberatore Dahlhaus
OUT: Hargrave (ankle) Lake (Groin) Hill, Grant, Mulligan, Wallis (all omitted) Team Announcement video shortly on BulldogsTV
From Facebook

Very glad to see Dahla finally in the team though. 2 Ruckman again

edit: apparently Ralph Clarke is in for the Saints so we can afford to have one player who does absolutely nothing useful and balance out the game

That leaves only Morris, Murphy and Wood from last week's back six. If Markovic is fit it does seem strange not to bring him in as someone more familiar with how the senior back half functions, Then again I guess Barlow and Stack have had time together to gel :)

Looking at the team now that it is up, it appears that the Williams ruck experiment is over. Not sure what role Barlow has been earmarked for.

G-Mo77
09-06-2011, 06:40 PM
Does anybody know who rucks for the saints when McEvoy isn't in there? Seems like we should have an advantage in the ruck contests at times with no obvious second ruck.

Walsh is an emergency, it's possibly him.

Remi Moses
09-06-2011, 06:40 PM
Ryan Gamble! Crikey and Raphael Clarke, that'll please Stkilda fans.:rolleyes:

LostDoggy
09-06-2011, 06:41 PM
I think Barlow is much more versatile than either of those 2 players who are both pretty much key defensive stoppers only. Barlow can play any number of roles, whether he is any good at any of them is another story.

Why do you think he's not a long term player, he's only 23? He could be if he's good enough.

But when we already have 2 ruckman and Williams in the team, his versatility is less useful. He's also not as good as a pure stopper as Marko or prospect as Mulligan.
From the limited amount i've saw of him at Sydney, i don't think he is really ever going to be a good player, and apparently they don't either. And this isn't a Greg Williams situation where a player gets cut for being too slow before becoming a gun at his second club, Barlow is the fittest guy in the world, just doesn't have the skills or the mental side down.

Also, when we already have 2 tall defenders out injured, do we really want to play a new player in there instead of either
A - the guy who played last week
B - the guy who has played most of the season well.

LostDoggy
09-06-2011, 06:46 PM
I'd have Barlow tagging Goddard

Hotdog60
09-06-2011, 06:52 PM
Hasn't Barlow been playing more forward for Willy? I would use Barlow as the sub as he would be good cover for injuries, then he can replace one of the key players if they are under performing.

Axe Man
09-06-2011, 06:55 PM
But when we already have 2 ruckman and Williams in the team, his versatility is less useful. He's also not as good as a pure stopper as Marko or prospect as Mulligan.
From the limited amount i've saw of him at Sydney, i don't think he is really ever going to be a good player, and apparently they don't either. And this isn't a Greg Williams situation where a player gets cut for being too slow before becoming a gun at his second club, Barlow is the fittest guy in the world, just doesn't have the skills or the mental side down.

Also, when we already have 2 tall defenders out injured, do we really want to play a new player in there instead of either
A - the guy who played last week
B - the guy who has played most of the season well.

Fair enough. I'm not arguing for or against Barlow, just that it's premature to say that he offers nothing different than Mulligan or Marko when we don't know what role he will play and that he's not a long term player when we haven't even seen him have a few games in a Bulldogs jumper. Like you I would be surprised if he turns out to be a player, but I'll reserve my judgement for now.

Maddog37
09-06-2011, 06:57 PM
Is Stack in on form? I did not really think he was that good last week......

Looks more and mor like Wallis and Libba are fighting for the same spot.

always right
09-06-2011, 07:02 PM
I had assumed that Barlow will be sub and with St Kilda only going in with one recognised ruckman, Barlow would come on to replace Hudson at some stage. The suggestion however that he might play on Goddard has some merit. Certainly has the size and tank to go with him. We normally pencil Goddard in for three brownlow votes whenever he plays against us so the move would make some sense.

I'd like to see Dalhaus start and perhaps Higgins or Sherman start as the sub.

always right
09-06-2011, 07:03 PM

Unfortunately for Wallis we need more than a tackling machine at the moment. He doesn't provide much offensively at this stage of his career. Libba is more damaging with his disposals.

GVGjr
09-06-2011, 07:06 PM

He was good against Casey

the banker
09-06-2011, 07:14 PM
Higgins, Sherman, Cooney, Gia. Some potential problems there for the Saints. Will at FF will have to be watched, very capable of outmarking Dawson one on one. Can Jones play a defensive role on Fisher if he stays back? This could be a role for Barlow? Defensive CHF? Fisher is the key to the Saints ATM. Montagna is a big out for them.

The team looks better without Lake, Hill and Grant. Good luck to Barlow and Dahlhaus.
Looking forward to a big effort from the TEAM.

lemmon
09-06-2011, 07:15 PM
The only real role I thought Barlow could play was as a mobile ruck/forward. Not sure how he fits into the line up at the moment.

LostDoggy
09-06-2011, 07:35 PM
Personally we better have a plan for Barlow, and it better pay off. But at the moment I'm annoyed with his elevation Panos wouldve made our two young comfortable forwards wake up and get busy. They are looking quite comfortable in themselves lately!

Bulldog Joe
09-06-2011, 07:35 PM
I think Barlow tagging Fisher would be a good move as he can go anywhere with him. I would like to see Cross take on Goddard as BJ is not quick and Crossy is good enough in the air to challenge him.

Sedat
09-06-2011, 07:37 PM
Ryan Gamble! Crikey and Raphael Clarke, that'll please Stkilda fans.:rolleyes:
Like so may other duds, Gamble has gotten hold of us and kicked bags in the past. If Kosi manages to kick a bag this week, hell will have officially frozen over.

G-Mo77
09-06-2011, 07:42 PM
Unfortunately for Wallis we need more than a tackling machine at the moment. He doesn't provide much offensively at this stage of his career. Libba is more damaging with his disposals.

He's only played 4 games and in 2 sets of 2 games. I'd rather see him played more consecutive games, he'll learn more that way. Also 3 of those games have been against top 4 teams so naturally he's going to find it difficult.

And for those statisticians that are going to point out that he's played 5 games I'm not counting the WA sub debacle.

azabob
09-06-2011, 07:51 PM
Like so may other duds, Gamble has gotten hold of us and kicked bags in the past. If Kosi manages to kick a bag this week, hell will have officially frozen over.

Ah Sedat I love your work, I even love your music taste but Kosi will struggle to get one touch tomorrow night mainly due to the fact he isn't playing!! ;)

Sedat
09-06-2011, 07:52 PM
Ah Sedat I love your work, I even love your music taste but Kosi will struggle to get one touch tomorrow night mainly due to the fact he isn't playing!! ;)
:o

Was about to edit my post. Hell is safe for another week at least :D

azabob
09-06-2011, 08:09 PM
Happy with the changes, again a bit of freshness to the team.

Only downside is Wallis seems to be competing with Cross, Boyd and Liberatore for a spot.

I would like to see Wallis get a good run at (5 week block) to see if he can continue to adjust to the speed of the game.

LostDoggy
09-06-2011, 08:10 PM
So Lake out and Markovic isn't slotted back in at FB , Mulligan gets dropped but Barlow comes in , what,s the set up now Williams at FB and Barlow at CFB ( shakes head whistles quietly )

bornadog
09-06-2011, 08:14 PM
I'd have Barlow tagging Goddard

I like that suggestion

always right
09-06-2011, 08:34 PM
So Lake out and Markovic isn't slotted back in at FB , Mulligan gets dropped but Barlow comes in , what,s the set up now Williams at FB and Barlow at CFB ( shakes head whistles quietly )

Perhaps it would make more sense to focus on who they might play on rather than the positions they play. Morris on Riewoldt an Williams on the other tall doesn't sound so ridiculous. Under that scenario, Barlow plays as a backup ruck man (sub) a backup defender (sub) or a tagger (Goddard or Fisher).

Rocco Jones
09-06-2011, 09:45 PM
Barlow gives us the option of subbing off a ruckman.

Bumper Bulldogs
09-06-2011, 11:43 PM

Yes I like this but would prefer to see Marcovic in for Stack.

Bulldog Joe
10-06-2011, 12:32 AM
Personally we better have a plan for Barlow, and it better pay off. But at the moment I'm annoyed with his elevation Panos wouldve made our two young comfortable forwards wake up and get busy. They are looking quite comfortable in themselves lately!

Barlow has much better form at Williamstown than Panos and is more versatile. His elevation makes sense to me.

It gives a chance to see if he can fill a role. If he can he deserves a longer term spot and if not he is gone quickly.

bornadog
10-06-2011, 12:35 AM
Yes I like this but would prefer to see Marcovic in for Stack.

Not running off the HBF, Marcovic is too slow and there are no match ups for Marcovic or Mulligan.

jeemak
10-06-2011, 12:39 AM
Has anyone considered Wallis isn't doing the things the coaching staff has asked of him? Could be a factor in him not being able to string more than two games together. Just a thought. Could be their plan to just give him a few games and allow him to make some realisations about his game and what he needs to work on.

Great to see Dahlhaus get a run, and also Barlow. I think these debutants show a clear admission from the club that the rebuilding process needs to start immediately, and potentially at the expense of winning.

Having said that, the 22 that takes the park can't afford to fall in to the trap of conceding the game is done and dusted due to the cattle we're playing. Attitude will be key, and if we bring a stern and positive one to the game tomorrow night we should account for ourselves well based on match ups and personnel.

Bumper Bulldogs
10-06-2011, 09:54 AM
Having said that, the 22 that takes the park can't afford to fall in to the trap of conceding the game is done and dusted due to the cattle we're playing. Attitude will be key, and if we bring a stern and positive one to the game tomorrow night we should account for ourselves well based on match ups and personnel.

Totally agree, but we need to get our heads in the right head space, the saints are a tough unit and we need to bring the intensity that we know we have. For me Huddson, Cross, Boyd & Picken to take the first bounce and set the seen for all to follow.

Ghost Dog
10-06-2011, 11:07 AM

Been a while since we had a Beezer or Wynd like shock of blonde hair on the team IIRC....

LostDoggy
10-06-2011, 12:49 PM
Been a while since we had a Beezer or Wynd like shock of blonde hair on the team IIRC....

Or a first year Cooney? ;)

Ghost Dog
10-06-2011, 12:58 PM
Or a first year Cooney? ;)

Touch of the ginger on ol' coons so not sure if he qualifies as a blonde bombshell.
Very concerned about the standard of hair styling at Whitten Oval this year Alexxx...it keeps me awake I tell you..

LostDoggy
10-06-2011, 01:28 PM
Have 2 tickets for the game tonight... free .. only to bulldog supporters
Ring me 0411281811

divvydan
10-06-2011, 07:25 PM
Final teams: Cooney out, Mulligan in for Bulldogs. Sub is Dahlhaus. No late changes for Saints. Sub is Ledger.

LostDoggy
10-06-2011, 07:32 PM
Final teams: Cooney out, Mulligan in for Bulldogs. Sub is Dahlhaus. No late changes for Saints. Sub is Ledger.

AHHHH.
Not happy Cooney is out, but i'd rather we rest him if he's not ready, so that's no big deal.
But dalhlaus sub? Bloody tall team we've got playing tonight and hopefully Dalhaus gets more then a quarter

choconmientay
10-06-2011, 08:18 PM
Higgins is warming up withthe backline group. Morris is addressing the whole group. He may start from thebackline?!

jasopan
10-06-2011, 08:19 PM
The first gamer the sub again?
It's so hard to see where the new players are at when they play for barely a quarter... Not even time for them to get 'into' the game.
Oh well, all the best to Dalhaus

LostDoggy
10-06-2011, 08:26 PM

Are they taking the piss?

Surely you can't swap a short for a tall, considering who is already in the team.

Desipura
11-06-2011, 03:20 PM
Are they taking the piss?

Surely you can't swap a short for a tall, considering who is already in the team.

Another bizarre selection, Wallis or Schofield would have been the obvious replacements