PDA

View Full Version : Round #13 Match Committee

GVGjr
10-06-2011, 10:06 PM
If you were on the Match Committee who would the likely ins and outs for the round 13 home game against the Crows side next Friday night at the Docklands?

GVGjr
11-06-2011, 12:18 AM
Schofield in for Mulligan is my initial thought.

I wonder if Cooney and Hargrave will be available.

bornadog
11-06-2011, 12:21 AM

Before the game, heard Rocket say that Lake may be a chance next week, who knows. Hall will also be available.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
11-06-2011, 12:26 AM

I guess though the ball is in Schofield's court this weekend, providing he doesn't have a shocker you would think he is a good chance.
Coud Roughy be a chance too? Whilst Hudson played well tonight, Melbourne are going with Martin in the ruck who is quite mobile, something Will and Hudson are not.

Mofra
11-06-2011, 12:30 AM
I guess though the ball is in Schofield's court this weekend, providing he doesn't have a shocker you would think he is a good chance.
Coud Roughy be a chance too? Whilst Hudson played well tonight, Melbourne are going with Martin in the ruck who is quite mobile, something Will and Hudson are not.
We should never play Hudson & Minson in the same side again.
Given our season is shot, Hudson would be on thin ice if his form drops again.

G-Mo77
11-06-2011, 01:55 AM
Hard to say at this stage. Cooney, Hargrave, Lake, Hall all will be under consideration. Doubt I'd pick any of them though considering we're 3 - 8.

Mulligan is an obvious out.

One of Hudson or Minson. I'd prefer Huddo and thank him for his services.

I didn't think much of Djerrkura's game either.

LostDoggy
11-06-2011, 08:35 AM
Barlow out please. Bit of a headless chook performance and gave us nothing really.
Vezpremi would have been a better option.

Jasper
11-06-2011, 09:04 AM
Out - Hudson not offering an aerial contest
Out - Djerkurra - I've seen enough - is he seriously going to be at our club for another two years?
Out - Barlowe - ordinary decision making and disposal

In - Hall
In - Cooney
In - Lake

....and back in the land of harsh reality...

It depends on fitness and form. Hopefully Grant and Hill don't play for a little while though. Hopefully Hargrave is given a good spell - his disposal is really ordinary under pressure. Realistically I think we need to pick good decision makers and kicks and if above players aren't fit. Gilbee must be considered.

LostDoggy
11-06-2011, 10:34 AM
I wouldnt play Lake or Cooney til they are 100%. What's the point in risking them now? Hall is finished better we move on asap there.
Hargrave is easily in our best 22.
Gilbee can't get a kick at williamstown and won't get one in afl.

LostDoggy
11-06-2011, 11:54 AM
Dolly stays in!
Maybe just Mulli for another young guy. I would give dj another week at least.

G-Mo77
11-06-2011, 11:57 AM
I wouldnt play Lake or Cooney til they are 100%. What's the point in risking them now? Hall is finished better we move on asap there.

I do agree there but I'd give him 1 more game to get him to 300.

Scorlibo
11-06-2011, 12:18 PM
I do agree there but I'd give him 1 more game to get him to 300.

He's another 21 games away from 300..

Ghost Dog
11-06-2011, 12:19 PM
Barlow out please. Bit of a headless chook performance and gave us nothing really.

rubbish. He was a bit lost at times but he was in hard and did some good things
Give a guy a few games to find his feet will you?

Dancin' Douggy
11-06-2011, 12:21 PM
Out - Hudson not offering an aerial contest
Out - Djerkurra - I've seen enough - is he seriously going to be at our club for another two years?
Out - Barlowe - ordinary decision making and disposal

In - Hall
In - Cooney
In - Lake

....and back in the land of harsh reality...

It depends on fitness and form. Hopefully Grant and Hill don't play for a little while though. Hopefully Hargrave is given a good spell - his disposal is really ordinary under pressure. Realistically I think we need to pick good decision makers and kicks and if above players aren't fit. Gilbee must be considered.

If we had any spare good decision makers and kicks I'd love to play them.
Can't think of any.............

Also, send Cooney straight to the surgeon and get him right for next year....

aker39
11-06-2011, 12:27 PM
He's another 21 games away from 300..

He needs 1 game to make it 300 including NAB cup, which gives him life membership of the AFL.

aker39
11-06-2011, 12:29 PM
I don't want to see any player play 1 game and then get dropped.

Give them a chance.

azabob
11-06-2011, 12:49 PM
I don't want to see any player play 1 game and then get dropped.

Give them a chance.

Totally agree with this. Young players need to be told ok you have at least 3 weeks to prove your worth to the team.

This goes for players like DJ and Barlow also.

Evel
11-06-2011, 01:01 PM
I've seen a couple of earlier posts calling for Djerrkura to be dropped, but I'd be happy to see him given a few more games. While his 12 disposals doesn't set the world on fire stats wise, had he nailed his set shots and not had Cross called with that BS play on he may well have kicked 3 goals. During the second quarter when we got a break he was the only player from the entire team who had the foresight and speed to sprint forward of the ball into an empty 50m. It was unfortunate Minson was the player who couldn't get the kick to him in the right spot which forced the contest. Also during the last quarter had it not been for a fumble at the loose ball he would have had another shot. Had all gone right for him, he could have had 5 goals, but in reality the stats show he couldn't get it done.

Given it's his first full game since round 1 and he's played less than 10 in total give him some more and if he shows little improvement, make the call then. We've got nothing to lose at this point and plenty to gain.

LostDoggy
11-06-2011, 01:17 PM
Barlow is 23, 24 later this year. 13 games at the Swans say he has had a chance. Not many rejects from other clubs make it and doubt he will.

Doc26
11-06-2011, 01:25 PM

Agree Ghost Dog, an inappropriate sledge on Barlow, thought for a first game performance with us he did show a bit.

I'm more concerned with Huddo's lack of agility.

lemmon
11-06-2011, 01:33 PM
Time to reload for next year, obviously depending on Willi form but would definitely be looking at the likes of Vespa, Cordy, Wallis and Schofield for next week. Dont really see the point in playing the likes of Hudson and Hall regularly while Cooney I would be getting to the surgeon/resting, get him 100% for next year.

LostDoggy
11-06-2011, 08:59 PM
With all respect to him, and for what he has contributed, Hudson is done. He's desperate, but the body is clearly not there. Give Minson the responsibility of carrying the ruck for the rest of the year and he might respond.

I'd keep Dj - thought he found good areas and showed some pace. Also thought Barlow wasn't the worst and would keep him.

Where is DFA at? Injured I hope, if he can't get a run with this mob.

Desipura
11-06-2011, 09:13 PM
People criticize Hudsons game yet he at least provided a contest when the footy hit the ground (as he always does).
Minson has played 100 games and I do not see the improvement in his game to become our number 1 ruck man.
Roughy is very roar however has some smarts about him to be a long term player.
That said, I think it's time to get as many games into Roughy which means Huddo will have to step down

MrMahatma
11-06-2011, 10:17 PM
If we're for real and looking at 2012 now.

Hall doesn't play again.
Cross should be looked at - coaches can't keep having a go at the team for not kicking enough when this bloke just flat out can't kick. And when Boyd does kick it's often a turn over - we need to be realistic about the limitiations of some blokes and if they can't play the way they need to, they shouldn't be picked. All due respect to what Cross has done for the club, but I think it's worth trialling a new look team without him in it.
I'd like to see Vespa get a run.

I thought DJ at least got the pill - he just didn't use it very well. Worth giving another few games though. Could've easily had 3 goals last night and been the match winner.

Jones just has to play - and has to be the focal point. The kid looks the goods.

Greystache
11-06-2011, 10:38 PM
Having watched Willi today-

Out- Hudson, Stack, Mulligan
In- Roughead, Tutt, Wallis

Rocco Jones
11-06-2011, 11:19 PM
Just don't know what to do with all the senior players carrying injuries/fitness issues.

If resting/surgery helps the likes of Cooney, Lake and Shaggy long term than I really hope we do it. I see that Cooney will be having surgery at the end of the season. Without having the inside knowlege needed (how much playing on will affect it, whether he needs the time anyway/not playing for awhile will hurt etc), from my POV I would like to see him have the surgery asap.

We are all frustrated with Lake but at the end of the day, he is ours for two more years and there is no point cutting your nose to spite your face. We need to do whatever is best for him long term, whether that be playing AFL straight away, VFL, a rest or more surgery.

Shaggy has been in and out and in and out again. There is little point in risking him until he is right.

I am not sure where I sit with playing Hall. I'm all for developing kids but playing too many is counter productive. I would play him if his body is right and he can 'look after' a few of our kids.

I definitely don't see much merit in regularly playing Hudson and Minson. Give Roughead another crack.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hard to predict ins and outs this week but here's my attempt...
IN: Roughead, Veszpremi/Wallis
OUT: Hudson (don't want to), Mulligan

If Lake or Hall are genuinely right to play, I would definitely play at least one of them to have a bigger body up forward.

AndrewP6
12-06-2011, 12:18 AM
Don't agree with the calls to not play Hall. If he's right, he's in. We can't just load the side with kids, they need some senior, big-bodied players in amongst them. Not sure on Coons, although the prospect of more surgery stuffing up his next preseason isn't good.

I'd keep DJ in, like his movement and efforts. Didn't really see much I liked from Barlow.

MrMahatma
12-06-2011, 12:33 AM
Don't agree with the calls to not play Hall. If he's right, he's in. We can't just load the side with kids, they need some senior, big-bodied players in amongst them. Not sure on Coons, although the prospect of more surgery stuffing up his next preseason isn't good.

I'd keep DJ in, like his movement and efforts. Didn't really see much I liked from Barlow.
I guess with Hall it depends on the role. IMO we should be teaching Jones to be our No. 1 guy. If Hall can help out by playing further up the field or something, then fine. If they're going to get in each other's way, then what's the point of playing Hall?

Jones has certainly looked better without Hall playing.

AndrewP6
12-06-2011, 12:44 AM
I guess with Hall it depends on the role. IMO we should be teaching Jones to be our No. 1 guy. If Hall can help out by playing further up the field or something, then fine. If they're going to get in each other's way, then what's the point of playing Hall?

But the team overall hasn't.

Dry Rot
12-06-2011, 12:45 AM

Is not so much how hall and Jones play, but rather the other 16 on the field?

Hall can't help other players kicking it to him when Jones is the better option.

MrMahatma
12-06-2011, 05:54 AM
[/B]
I guess it can be kind of chicken/egg type stuff. Maybe Hall can help free Jones up for hi s confidence vs maybe the others will use Jones more if Hall isn't there.

Overall, I'm a bit "meh.." on whether Hall comes back in or not, and would agree that either way it's not the key decision that needs to be made around our line up.

If, say, there's a limit to the amount of "kids" (say, those played fewer than 20 games) we can have in at one time, I'd happily see Hall in as one of the experienced blokes rather than some of the guys I think we need to move on from/give a spell in Weribee to.

Bulldog Joe
12-06-2011, 09:10 AM
I see a few suggesting Barlow wasn't too bad, but I thought he was atrocious.

It seemed that every time he got the ball he had no idea what to do and either got caught or gave it to someone who got caught.

Classic "Deer in the Headlights" syndrome.

Was at the game live and that was my impression. May look different when I get a chance to watch a replay, but could not keep him in the side on that effort.

chef
12-06-2011, 09:14 AM
[/B]

I don't think it's made much of a difference, this is Hall version 2011 we are talking about.

the banker
12-06-2011, 09:14 AM
I think Hall should play - for the benefit of Jones. Jones can'rt be expected to carry the focus of the forward line ATM. I think he will be a player.
I would not rush Roughead in just for the sake of it. he looked very slow last game he played. I would like to see him with some real form for Willi and come in with confidence.
Thought Barlow had some presence although at times the speed of the game confused him. He is someone that with confidence could be a contributer - time will tell. Worth persisting.
Dahlhaus was terrific. DJ problematic, but we need to give him 4/5 games to see what he can do.
We need a few players with genuine football smarts who can squeeze a goal.. Not sure Stack has them. Maybe Vespa, Wallis, Hooper.

AndrewP6
12-06-2011, 02:35 PM
I don't think it's made much of a difference, this is Hall version 2011 we are talking about.

I'd still rather a seasoned campaigner vs another skinny kid.

LostDoggy
12-06-2011, 02:38 PM
Excuse my ignorance but if Markovic isn't injured why isn't he in our team?

Dropped after the West Coast game and hasnt been seen since, in a game our backline bar Morris were all woeful, why does he get dropped and then we debut Mulligan? and now suggestions of debuting Schofield? Please fill in the gaps, what I saw of Markovic leading into that game, I liked.

LostDoggy
12-06-2011, 02:38 PM
If Cross can't play cos he can't kick then why are we so in love with Dahlhaus then?

Ghost Dog
12-06-2011, 03:00 PM
If Cross can't play cos he can't kick then why are we so in love with Dahlhaus then?

:rolleyes: jeezus.

LostDoggy
12-06-2011, 03:10 PM
:rolleyes: jeezus.

Not sure why its funny. From what I have seen of dahlhaus, He isn't a good kick either. Seen last week for willy and his missed a target when easily inside 50.
Know he is young and enthusiastic with hopefully a great future at the club and Cross is on the decline.

More funnier is how some of us think we have found the saviour (eg calls that we would have won the game if he started) when he has deficiencies in his game similar to players we want dropped.

Topdog
12-06-2011, 03:11 PM

Really? The 4 possession game looked good?

Topdog
12-06-2011, 03:13 PM
More funnier is how some of us think we have found the saviour (eg calls that we would have won the game if he started) when he has deficiencies in his game similar to players we want dropped.

I haven't seen anyone say that. Bit of a OTT statement if I have ever heard one.

LostDoggy
12-06-2011, 03:15 PM
I haven't seen anyone say that. Bit of a OTT statement if I have ever heard one.

Read the dahlhaus article thread. At least 2 believe we would have won had he started

Maddog37
12-06-2011, 03:18 PM
The difference is Cross is slow and Doll is fast. That is enough.

G-Mo77
12-06-2011, 03:19 PM
Read the dahlhaus article thread. At least 2 believe we would have won had he started

This one? http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?p=221016#post221016

No suggested we would have won. You've drawn your own conclusion on that.

Mofra
12-06-2011, 03:23 PM
This one? http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?p=221016#post221016

No suggested we would have won. You've drawn your own conclusion on that.

Maybe if he actually started on the Ground we might have won. I guess we will never know?

Personally I don't think it would have made a difference to the result - first gamers often fade late in games with full gametime, even Howard who was one of our leaders in the endurance running pre-season has faded late.

Rocco Jones
12-06-2011, 03:33 PM
Quite a few posters are saying we: 1/ have not adapted to the sub rule and 2/ incorrectly use rookies in the role.

I think before anything else how hand in forced due to playing so many kids anyway, however we should also look at those sides who have done well with the sub rule. Would the critics of Dahlhaus as a sub agree that the Hawks and Eagles have done well with the new rule? I definitely believe so and both clubs have predominately used 1st year/inexperienced players in the role such as Gaff, Breust and Savage. I believe that Dahlhaus' strengths as a player suit the role.

The critics point towards his potential impact if he started but what about the other scenario? What if he simply ran out of gas and really dropped off? What we (should) primarily want is what's best for his development and despite the limited TOG, Friday night should give him a fair bit of confidence.

I ironically found it a rare sub 'win' for us on Friday night. That's where it's catch 22 though. If your sub does well, cynics will ask why he didn't start and is the sub fails, the same cynics will criticise the decision as well. The difference for me is the gloss/taint of winning/losing.

GVGjr
12-06-2011, 03:34 PM

Dahlhaus will improve his kicking. At the moment it just lacks some power and that will come with some added size and strength

LostDoggy
12-06-2011, 04:26 PM
I think Hall should play - for the benefit of Jones. Jones can'rt be expected to carry the focus of the forward line ATM. I think he will be a player.
I would not rush Roughead in just for the sake of it. he looked very slow last game he played. I would like to see him with some real form for Willi and come in with confidence.
Thought Barlow had some presence although at times the speed of the game confused him. He is someone that with confidence could be a contributer - time will tell. Worth persisting.
Dahlhaus was terrific. DJ problematic, but we need to give him 4/5 games to see what he can do.
We need a few players with genuine football smarts who can squeeze a goal.. Not sure Stack has them. Maybe Vespa, Wallis, Hooper.

Well said all up. DJ Must be given a decent run.

Topdog
12-06-2011, 04:54 PM

Yep haven't read that thread, cheers. As I said completely OTT.

MrMahatma
12-06-2011, 08:04 PM
Really? The 4 possession game looked good?
He looked better against the Saints and seems to be growing into the role of key forward. Slow process, sure. My opinion, sure.

Hall's averaging 6.8 disposals per game this year...

AndrewP6
12-06-2011, 08:24 PM
He looked better against the Saints and seems to be growing into the role of key forward. Slow process, sure. My opinion, sure.

Hall's averaging 6.8 disposals per game this year...

He's only played 5 games.

azabob
12-06-2011, 08:32 PM
[/B]
He's only played 5 games.

How's his games relevant to average per game?

AndrewP6
12-06-2011, 09:10 PM
If he'd been fit and played, Hall would've improved on that IMO.

Topdog
12-06-2011, 09:23 PM

Well for one he has been subbed off twice due to being injured in those 5 games so you would expect his average to be a bit out of whack.

Pickenitup
12-06-2011, 10:46 PM
In Markovic
Out Mulligan
If Hall is 100 percent fit he plays if not another week wont hurt.
Think we have to give players like Dj And Barlow a few games before we decide there futures.
IMO I think Markovic should Never have been dropped in the First place.

Scorlibo
12-06-2011, 11:39 PM
Not sure why its funny. From what I have seen of dahlhaus, He isn't a good kick either. Seen last week for willy and his missed a target when easily inside 50.
Know he is young and enthusiastic with hopefully a great future at the club and Cross is on the decline.

Agree with all of this. Dahlhaus brings a lot to the table, but kicking certainly isn't one of his finest attributes, and I would venture as far as to say that Cross is in fact a better kick.

Rocco Jones
12-06-2011, 11:43 PM
I am definitely not in the drop Cross camp but one thing Chops is ignoring is that Dahlhaus has break neck speed whereas Cross gets out sprinted by Leigh Brown.

Cross might have a better kick in theory (which I doubt) but at least Dahlhaus has the confidence to actually kick it sometimes.

Once again, I want both of them in the side. Remember our 22 is so crap that I think DJ has a place in it.

GVGjr
12-06-2011, 11:52 PM
Cross might have a better kick in theory (which I doubt) but at least Dahlhaus has the confidence to actually kick it sometimes.

Once again, I want both of them in the side. Remember our 22 is so crap that I think DJ has a place in it.

I have reported a couple of times prior to the Dahlhaus debut that his kicking lacked power but I do not believe there is a fundamental flaw in his kicking technique that will stop him improving.
He just lacks some power and distance at the moment.

I hope we can improve the kicking of Mitch Wallis in the next 12 months because they have a tendency to float.

Rocco Jones
12-06-2011, 11:57 PM
I have reported a couple of times prior to the Dahlhaus debut that his kicking lacked power but I do not believe there is a fundamental flaw in his kicking technique that will stop him improving.

I have seen a lot less of him than you have but I agree.

From my limited impressions he seems to make pretty sound decisions. The only issue I have with him decision wise is that he doesn't seem to trust himself when in range but that obviously could be due to his lack of power.

GVGjr
13-06-2011, 12:10 AM
I have seen a lot less of him than you have but I agree.

From my limited impressions he seems to make pretty sound decisions. The only issue I have with him decision wise is that he doesn't seem to trust himself when in range but that obviously could be due to his lack of power.

His handballing (short handballs) can be brilliant at times, allowing his team mate to run full tilt as Dahlhaus puts the ball in the perfect spot for them to keep moving without breaking their stride. Some guys handball too low or high or right at the body which means their team mate has to stop a bit before grabbing the ball but Dahlhaus seems to consistently just put it in the right position.

It will be interesting to see if he can maintain that trait at the AFL level.

Happy Days
13-06-2011, 02:28 AM

Dahlhaus is fast and 19, Cross is slow and old.

Dahlhaus is showing that he may contribute siginficantly to the clubs' future, Cross is looking like he might be cooked.

I don't get how you can't see the difference between the two.

Ghost Dog
13-06-2011, 09:24 AM
Dahlhaus is fast and 19, Cross is slow and old.

Dahlhaus is showing that he may contribute siginficantly to the clubs' future, Cross is looking like he might be cooked.

I don't get how you can't see the difference between the two.

But let's remember, as other posters pointed out, Daniel has been hurt by our reduced run and carry out of the square. With respect, because he's been a champion for us, the mc have to figure out when and where he'll be effective because without others to finish off his good work, he's very exposed.
There's really only one position for him...ball ferret and giver of the quick hand pass. without the right players around him his effectiveness drops dramatically.

There was one bit of footage, showing Dahlhaus diving right into a pack, sliding right in and under like platten of old. was impressed.

Hotdog60
13-06-2011, 09:37 AM
But let's remember, as other posters pointed out, Daniel has been hurt by our reduced run and carry out of the square. With respect, because he's been a champion for us, the mc have to figure out when and where he'll be effective because without others to finish off his good work, he's very exposed.
There's really only one position for him...ball ferret and giver of the quick hand pass. without the right players around him his effectiveness drops dramatically.

There was one bit of footage, showing Dahlhaus diving right into a pack, sliding right in and under like platten of old. was impressed.

With Cooney out of the side, Dahlhaus and Cross could be a good partnership, Cross wins it in and under and Dahlhaus receives and sends it down field as the link up man. Granted it wont be a long disposal but he can open the play up a bit with speed and evasiveness.

LostDoggy
13-06-2011, 10:12 AM
Ok just playing devils advocate here.
What's make you believe we can teach Dahlhaus how to kick when the same was said about Cross years ago?
A few posters have pointed out Dahlhaus is quick and Cross is slow. ATM I trust Cross to run out a game before I would Dahlhaus. I know that may come with experience.
Also a few say Cross has no defensive capabilities cos he is slow. Not sure how speed is the only factor there.
Make no mistake Dahlhaus has youth on his side and I hope he becomes a club champion. Just pointing out how easily we pump up some while rejecting others.

LostDoggy
13-06-2011, 10:29 AM
Its hard to pinpoint the best position for young Luke , ideally you want him as the third link from the square , too close in and he will be pushed off the ball , his speed and attack on the ball is a real positive but you don,t want him undoing his good work by not having a target within 30 metres , having other midfielders like Sherman push up or a forward like Jones lead up to provide a target is important , we also have to be aware that on the opposition rebound he could be caught in a one on one with a taller opponent , again ideally he should have Ward as his offsider to block/ spoil/ contest to give Luke some space

Now if Luke isn't in the Midfield , a BP to FP rotation to try to create some mismatches could work, now in either position with his body size his ability to stick a tackle would be paramount, out of the backline his run and carry would be useful to create a quick switch of play but again other midfielders have to work hard enough to give him a target , as a FP his ability to read the play to be in the best position to rove packs or crumb and snap/ hit targets might be tested but he,s not short of confidence and would learn quickly

It is a real glimpse of of the future seeing Libba, Wallis , Howard and now Dahlhaus on the field

I would have no problem having Dahlhaus as the Sub again , the only problem with that might be his ability to give a 4 quarter effort in case of an early injury

GVGjr
13-06-2011, 11:12 AM
Ok just playing devils advocate here.
What's make you believe we can teach Dahlhaus how to kick when the same was said about Cross years ago?
A few posters have pointed out Dahlhaus is quick and Cross is slow. ATM I trust Cross to run out a game before I would Dahlhaus. I know that may come with experience.

I think I have answered this a couple of times but fundamentally Dahlhaus is a good kick and at the moment he just lacks some power and that will come in time.
It's a slight flaw now but I don't think it will haunt his career.
He might never be an elite kick but it shouldn't be an issue for him.

Cross however, stabs at the ball when he kicks and he hasn't been able to improve it sufficiently.

Hotdog60
13-06-2011, 11:12 AM
I would have no problem having Dahlhaus as the Sub again , the only problem with that might be his ability to give a 4 quarter effort in case of an early injury

I would start him this week, if he runs out of puff then sub him later in the game or if an injury occurs then rest him in a pocket up forward.

Mantis
13-06-2011, 11:35 AM

Cross can kick, watch him at training and he rarely misses a target, but on game day he lacks confidence in his ability to use the ball well by foot.

His skill base is ok... major flaw being lack of penetration, but his problem is mainly mental.

Maddog37
13-06-2011, 11:59 AM
This years draft is looking ok for mids for us. Libba Wallis and Doll.

What should we be looking for in trades or draft now do people think?

I want to see Tutt in the team too ASAP.

Scorlibo
13-06-2011, 12:04 PM
Cross can kick, watch him at training and he rarely misses a target, but on game day he lacks confidence in his ability to use the ball well by foot.

His skill base is ok... major flaw being lack of penetration, but his problem is mainly mental.

Spot on.

azabob
13-06-2011, 12:19 PM
This years draft is looking ok for mids for us. Libba Wallis and Doll.

What should we be looking for in trades or draft now do people think?

I want to see Tutt in the team too ASAP.

Quick running players who can break the lines and have brilliant kicking skills.

Hot_Doggies
13-06-2011, 02:40 PM

Difference between 'lacks confidence' and can't execute under pressure.

Plenty of pro golfers hit it long and straight on the driving range.

The Pie Man
13-06-2011, 03:20 PM
In: Grant, Roughead & Lake - if contrary to Damian Barrett's call on the Sunday FS, he still wants to be there
Out: DJ, Mulligan & one of Hudson/Minson

Hudson had it 18 times but missed marks he should've been more competitive in, while Minson played some dumb football at times and couldn't get into it. Toss a coin

I'd like to see Tutt play, though can't think who for....was thinking Barlow though with Lake probably only a maybe at this stage I'd keep him in. I thought Stack was ok for the most part as well. I'd be surprised if Cooney can come straight back in if he's fit. and I can't see the point at this stage of the season.

LostDoggy
13-06-2011, 03:46 PM

Still you would have to admit it is a massive problem on gameday which is when it counts.
If he hasn't learnt to kick by now its never going to happen, which is disappointing as he seems to have an enormous amount of willpower and i would have bet on him being able to turn this deficiency around.. but obviously he can't do it.

The Adelaide Connection
13-06-2011, 07:33 PM

Totally agree. I only watched the game today and was suprised to see people call for Barlow as an out. I thought he was pretty good for the most part and the reality is that there aren't too many players that are going to play amazing first games, you hear players talking about having to adjust to the huge speed and pressure differences (and then there is the mental side of things). I think if we bring a player in we need to leave them in for a few weeks. We need to get some continuity where possible (especially in our forward line).

LostDoggy
13-06-2011, 09:10 PM
Also a few say Cross has no defensive capabilities cos he is slow. Not sure how speed is the only factor there.
Make no mistake Dahlhaus has youth on his side and I hope he becomes a club champion. Just pointing out how easily we pump up some while rejecting others.

The trouble though Chops is at what speed can he run out the game. I still recall Leigh Brown out running Cross to get possession in the finals last year.

I still cant believe that big chump could out run one of our small running players.

Ozza
14-06-2011, 12:32 PM
Without knowing who may or may not be fit - I'm not sure what the changes should be.

However, I'd like to see Djerkerra get a decent run at a few games. He hasn't been great so far - but the effort is there - he is fairly quick - and he is hard at the footy. I'm prepared to give a bloke a decent crack at it if he ticks those three boxes.

I thought Barlow was reasonable - although his selection will depend on the balance of the side.

My preference is that Minson is our 1st ruck - so Hudson would have to be dropped on that basis.

bulldogsthru&thru
14-06-2011, 12:43 PM
I don't think too many changes should be made. Only ones would be with the return of our key players Cooney, Hall and Hargrave. I think Cooney should be put on ice for the season to get his knee 100% for the preseason.

INs: Cooney, Hargrave, Hall

OUT: Barlow (not dropped but just because there is no room atm. I thought he was decent in his first game),
Hudson (should not have Huddo and Will in the same team)
Mulligan: Again only to make way for Hargrave. Although in all honesty the game against Geelong he was much better than Hargrave.

Stack should be made the sub to give Dollhouse a full game.

Others pushing for selection are Roughead, Hooper and Tutt. There are just limited spots in the team atm. Which is strange as you would think with so many players pushing for selection we would have a fairly strong side. Yet here we are at 3-8

bornadog
14-06-2011, 12:48 PM
I don't think too many changes should be made. Only ones would be with the return of our key players Cooney, Hall and Hargrave. I think Cooney should be put on ice for the season to get his knee 100% for the preseason.

INs: Cooney, Hargrave, Hall

OUT: Barlow (not dropped but just because there is no room atm. I thought he was decent in his first game),
Hudson (should not have Huddo and Will in the same team)
Mulligan: Again only to make way for Hargrave. Although in all honesty the game against Geelong he was much better than Hargrave.

Stack should be made the sub to give Dollhouse a full game.

Others pushing for selection are Roughead, Hooper and Tutt. There are just limited spots in the team atm. Which is strange as you would think with so many players pushing for selection we would have a fairly strong side. Yet here we are at 3-8

Looks like Hargrave out for a further 3 weeks.

LostDoggy
14-06-2011, 01:04 PM
How we structure our ruck set-up has proven to be a minefield , Hudson is one of the best second and third effort ruckman in the AFL but his mobility means he is restricted by the amount of ground he can cover with the current opposition zones and presses , he gets dragged all over the park and by the end of the game just hasn,t got enough in the tank for those second and third efforts , Minson has,nt been playing smart football just 7 disposals against St Kilda when St Kilda went in with one ruckman McEvoy , Roughhead has had an injury disrupted year but he is where our future lies but he needs some support , we have tried to copy other sides by using some other talls in the ruck but seeing young Vardy hammer Williams just makes you shake your head

Our ruck stocks are pretty good but they just need to be smarter about how they adjust their playing styles with the current defensive zones and presses

bulldogsthru&thru
14-06-2011, 01:05 PM
Looks like Hargrave out for a further 3 weeks.

oh. not exactly bad news the way our season is going ;) good opportunity to keep playing some young guys. I think make just the two changes then. Barlow stays unless Mulligan is fit.

G-Mo77
14-06-2011, 01:16 PM
oh. not exactly bad news the way our season is going ;) good opportunity to keep playing some young guys. I think make just the two changes then. Barlow stays unless Mulligan is fit.

Mulligan is not. 2 weeks

BulldogBelle
14-06-2011, 05:03 PM
Patrick Veszpremi hasnt really been in high goal scorers for Williamstown unfortunately...

Although on Friday night apart from Gia our forwardline screamed for a natural forward who knows where to lead and where to position himself - where I think Veszpremi could offer some value

I would love to see him be given a chance against Adelaide, and also one of Schofield, Tutt or Cordy

Barlow, Stack and Hudson to be omitted

G-Mo77
14-06-2011, 05:12 PM
Patrick Veszpremi hasnt really been in high goal scorers for Williamstown unfortunately...

Although on Friday night apart from Gia our forwardline screamed for a natural forward who knows where to lead and where to position himself - where I think Veszpremi could offer some value

I would love to see him be given a chance against Adelaide, and also one of Schofield, Tutt or Cordy

Barlow, Stack and Hudson to be omitted

I thought Stack was pretty good on Friday night, not great but showed some signs. I doubt they would Promote/Omit at this stage of the season.

I honestly I think we'll see 2 of the injured big three return: Lake, Cooney and Hall.

My Outs would be: Mulligan, Barlow

Maybe Barlow stays and one of the Rucks goes?

It's hard to predict how the team will go this week. Mind you it's never easy anyway.

The Bulldogs Bite
14-06-2011, 05:45 PM
I loved Hudson as a player, was one of my favourite, but he can't go the journey anymore. We should either play Roughead, or try and find a 'second' ruck in Barlow or Markovic.

Our forward line is very inexperienced and lightly built. It's time to play Veszpremi IMO - he hasn't commanded a spot and got an untimely injury, but we need to inject games into him.

Also think Tutt deserves a debut.

-----------------------

IN: Tutt, Veszpremi, Hargrave/Cooney, Markovic*
OUT: Hudson, Mulligan, Djerrkura, Barlow*

* Depending on matchups, I would prefer Markovic.

Greystache
14-06-2011, 05:49 PM
I loved Hudson as a player, was one of my favourite, but he can't go the journey anymore. We should either play Roughead, or try and find a 'second' ruck in Barlow or Markovic.

Our forward line is very inexperienced and lightly built. It's time to play Veszpremi IMO - he hasn't commanded a spot and got an untimely injury, but we need to inject games into him.

Also think Tutt deserves a debut.

-----------------------

IN: Tutt, Veszpremi, Hargrave/Cooney, Markovic*
OUT: Hudson, Mulligan, Djerrkura, Barlow*

* Depending on matchups, I would prefer Markovic.

My impression from the weekend is they didn't go to Veszpremi when he was on a few times. I think he's the sort of player who'd be better at AFL level than VFL. I'd like to see him given a run.

always right
14-06-2011, 06:30 PM
My impression from the weekend is they didn't go to Veszpremi when he was on a few times. I think he's the sort of player who'd be better at AFL level than VFL. I'd like to see him given a run.

^^^^^^^This

SlimPickens
14-06-2011, 06:52 PM

Agree, thought they could have used Vez a lot more than they did on the weekend. His form in the Foxtal cup was good, and when they used him he was more than serviceable against North Ballarat. Not to mention he can kick a goal.

LostDoggy
14-06-2011, 07:20 PM
Early possible

FB:......Dahlhaus......Markovic......Morris
HB:......Picken.........Williams......Murphy
C:.........Ward............Boyd........Howard
HF:.....Sherman......Roughead...Veszpremi
FF:......Hooper...........Jones.......Djerrkura
FOLL:...Minson.........Griffen.........Cross

INT: Liberatore, Stack , Wood Sub: Giansiracusa

Gia as the Sub to keep him fresh , Wallis the unlucky out just too many inside players

LostDoggy
14-06-2011, 11:58 PM
I thought Stack was pretty good on Friday night, not great but showed some signs. I doubt they would Promote/Omit at this stage of the season.

I honestly I think we'll see 2 of the injured big three return: Lake, Cooney and Hall.

My Outs would be: Mulligan, Barlow

Maybe Barlow stays and one of the Rucks goes?

It's hard to predict how the team will go this week. Mind you it's never easy anyway.

I was totally surprised by Stack on Friday. He was in our best 8-15 players and looked like he deserved to be there. I'm slowly becoming a believer.

Dry Rot
15-06-2011, 01:14 AM

Agreed. Liked what I saw during the NAB Cup. Seems to know when and where to lead. I reckon he'd play out of skin in his first game for us. Dunno about his defensive pressure.

Dry Rot
15-06-2011, 01:15 AM
I was totally surprised by Stack on Friday. He was in our best 8-15 players and looked like he deserved to be there. I'm slowly becoming a believer.

Yeah, I don't get the Stack bashing in various forums. There's usually worse players to bag, some senior.

BTW, can anyone why Markovic was dropped?

G-Mo77
15-06-2011, 02:02 AM

We're all still wondering why Dry Rot.

The Bulldogs Bite
15-06-2011, 03:09 AM
Yeah, I don't get the Stack bashing in various forums. There's usually worse players to bag, some senior.

Markovic's form dropped a little and he had a pretty poor game against West Coast.

It's his lack of pace more than anything though, IMO. He was starting to get led to the ball, minmising his ability to beat opponents via strength. Case in point is the game v Richmond. He beat Riewoldt in a few one on one contests, but was often trailing Brad Miller on the lead and conceeded three (or four?) goals.

Should get a game again soon.

Mofra
15-06-2011, 12:06 PM
I sadly agree. It's a bit like shooting Bambi but Hudson wont be playing for us next year and we can't afford both Hudson & Minson in the same side - it robs us of too much run.

Not convinced on Markovic's potential as a 2nd ruck option but Barlow could be useful - he's a bigger Everitt with a worse kick but huge tank and beign in the think of it he will just need to react rather than think - his lack of body pressure when tried as a defender indicates his attck on the body will need work but we are in experimental phase now.

Desipura
15-06-2011, 01:45 PM
In: Cooney, Hall & Vespa
Out: Barlow, Mulligan & Djerkurra
Sub: Minson

Cyberdoggie
15-06-2011, 01:51 PM
Barlow is 23, 24 later this year. 13 games at the Swans say he has had a chance. Not many rejects from other clubs make it and doubt he will.

I could name a few.

I'm sure all of us cringe every time we hear the JPOD mentioned for example.

I think Barlow is worth persisting with a little longer, he wasn't all bad, but perhaps having Minson, Hudson, Barlow and Williams all in the same side isn't the right balance.

LostDoggy
15-06-2011, 01:54 PM
Barlow looked a long way off it for mine. And with 2 rucks he leaves us a little top heavy. I'd rather have someone like Vespa given a go in the forward line for an extended period.

LostDoggy
15-06-2011, 02:14 PM
I could name a few.

I'm sure all of us cringe every time we hear the JPOD mentioned for example.

I think Barlow is worth persisting with a little longer, he wasn't all bad, but perhaps having Minson, Hudson, Barlow and Williams all in the same side isn't the right balance.

Go ahead and name some recent ones. Jpod never got 13 afl match prior Geelong.

The Pie Man
15-06-2011, 02:23 PM

I still think Pod is a relevant example, despite not playing senior AFL footy - I'd determine anyone previously on another list to be termed a 'reject' (as harsh as that term sounds)

Rodan's another one that springs to mind.

LostDoggy
15-06-2011, 02:27 PM
Jpod never made a senior list so how was he a reject?

The Pie Man
15-06-2011, 02:33 PM
Jpod never made a senior list so how was he a reject?

Going by my recent attempt at a definition, nope you're right, he can't be.

I'd like to re-define it by saying on an AFL list, both primary & rookie :)

LostDoggy
15-06-2011, 02:42 PM
Going by that definition then there are heaps. Going by my definition I'll give you Rodan but that was Richmond and the Swans work better. Still there isn't many.

Greystache
15-06-2011, 02:48 PM
Going by my recent attempt at a definition, nope you're right, he can't be.

I'd like to re-define it by saying on an AFL list, both primary & rookie :)

Andrew Thompson would be one, he went on to captain St Kilda.

LostDoggy
15-06-2011, 03:37 PM
B: Christian Howard, Dale Morris, Robert Murphy

HB: Ed Barlow, Tom L. Williams, Easton Wood

C: Daniel Cross, Matthew Boyd, Ryan Griffen

HF: Shaun Higgins, Jordan Roughead , Justin Sherman

F: Nathan Djerrkura, Liam Jones , Daniel Giansiracusa

Foll:, William Minson, Liam Picken , Callan Ward

I/C: Mitch Wallis, Jayden Schofield, Dylan Addison, Luke Dahlhaus

Emg: Tom Liberatore, Brennan Stack, Markovic

Out: Hudson, Mulligan, Stack, Liberatore

In: Roughead, Addison, Wallis, Schofield

Sub: Addison

Go small, run them off their feet. Don’t risk any players under fitness clouds. Let Adelaide deal with a bunch of players they know little about.

The Pie Man
15-06-2011, 04:46 PM
^^^

The only player on the in list that's played more games than Stack is Addison - I thought Stack showed some signs on Friday (and I'm not his biggest fan) so I'd only drop him for an Adam Cooney type coming back, not newbies.

Happy Days
15-06-2011, 06:15 PM
Andrew Thompson would be one, he went on to captain St Kilda.

Nick Lower's doing some nice work at Freo.

Scorlibo
15-06-2011, 06:25 PM

Doesn't that mean he achieved less? Making him an even bigger turnaround?

To say that 'he was given a chance' at AFL level disregards the fact that to get a chance at AFL level, and to keep that chance for consecutive games, the player was good enough to earn that chance.

LostDoggy
15-06-2011, 06:59 PM
Doesn't that mean he achieved less? Making him an even bigger turnaround?

To say that 'he was given a chance' at AFL level disregards the fact that to get a chance at AFL level, and to keep that chance for consecutive games, the player was good enough to earn that chance.

I'm not debating whether Jpod is good, bad, achieved more or not, just that Barlow had more chances to cement a career given he had 13 afl games at the swans.

Nick Lower I'd take.

Scorlibo
15-06-2011, 07:51 PM
I'm not debating whether Jpod is good, bad, achieved more or not, just that Barlow had more chances to cement a career given he had 13 afl games at the swans.

I just don't understand that logic. Say there are two players, one plays 2 seasons of AFL with 20 games, the other plays 5 seasons for 3 games. Which has had more opportunity?

LostDoggy
15-06-2011, 07:57 PM
I just don't understand that logic. Say there are two players, one plays 2 seasons of AFL with 20 games, the other plays 5 seasons for 3 games. Which has had more opportunity?

Maybe the one that was listed for 5 years. Not sure how it applies with Barlow he had 13 games.

Desipura
15-06-2011, 08:26 PM
So who do we think will come in?

LostDoggy
15-06-2011, 08:43 PM

I wanna see Markovic in for Mulligan. I'm dumbfounded as to why Mulligan was brought in ahead of him? What am I missing.. someone please fill in the gaps as to why he isn't in our side? Injured? Haven't seen him since the West Coast game (yes he didn't play well but either did most of the team) I thought he was doing well otherwise?

Edit: Read a couple responses on page 4/5. Not injured but still stand by what change I wanna see, for Mulligan anyway.

chef
15-06-2011, 09:08 PM

Hopefully Tutt, Roughead and Veszpremi. I would like Schofield to get a game too but he may have to wait a little while.

w3design
15-06-2011, 09:43 PM
Barlow showed a bit it's a tough step up in grades he's tall can take a mark and can play multi possy i would give at least 3to 5 games to find his feet

aker39
16-06-2011, 01:30 PM
Rocket has confirmed that Schofield will debut this week and that Cooney will be back.

bornadog
16-06-2011, 02:03 PM
Rocket has confirmed that Schofield will debut this week and that Cooney will be back.

Thats two changes, plus Mulligan.

LostDoggy
16-06-2011, 02:22 PM
Gilbee back also so that's three.

Eade said Lindsay Gilbee, who was dropped after the Dogs' Round 10 loss to Hawthorn, had earned a recall.

"He'll play. He's selected,'' Eade said.

"He's had two or three weeks at Williamstown and played very well. He's back in on form which is good.''

kruder
16-06-2011, 02:40 PM
I'm so confused about the Coons situation. They decided to rest him becasue of his knee, yet his knee is still sore and now they going to play him???????

Whats the point? Surley they must try something different as rest has not worked for the past few seasons!

Its such a sad state of affairs at the Kennel, we are currently the laughing stock of the AFL.

The Lake situation is also a disgrace and an inditement on the club no matter who you blame. IF he leaves at the the end of the year and Eade and his coaching staff are still there, we will be so far down the drain i'm not sure there will be much light left!!!!!!!

bornadog
16-06-2011, 02:46 PM
I'm so confused about the Coons situation. They decided to rest him becasue of his knee, yet his knee is still sore and now they going to play him???????

Whats the point? Surley they must try something different as rest has not worked for the past few seasons!

Its such a sad state of affairs at the Kennel, we are currently the laughing stock of the AFL.

The Lake situation is also a disgrace and an inditement on the club no matter who you blame. IF he leaves at the the end of the year and Eade and his coaching staff are still there, we will be so far down the drain i'm not sure there will be much light left!!!!!!!

The club has medicos, fitness people and coaches. We are outsiders and no nothing about Coons knee.

The laughing stock? a bit of dramatic isn't it?

Greystache
16-06-2011, 02:47 PM
Thats two changes, plus Mulligan.

I think Stack will out too, he was jogging lightly with Mulligan at training today.

Desipura
16-06-2011, 02:48 PM
Correct me if I am wrong, it looks like it will be:
In: Cooney, Gilbee, Schofield
Out: Mulligan, Stack & Barlow

bornadog
16-06-2011, 02:58 PM
Correct me if I am wrong, it looks like it will be:
In: Cooney, Gilbee, Schofield
Out: Mulligan, Stack & Barlow

Why does it look like Barlow?

G-Mo77
16-06-2011, 03:11 PM
Gilbee?

Where is the bang head emocticon?

DragzLS1
16-06-2011, 03:42 PM
Gilbee?

He better fire up like he did against the tigers.. Dal better be playing

Desipura
16-06-2011, 03:43 PM
Why does it look like Barlow?
I said correct me if I am wrong, rather than ask a question with a question, do you have an alternative player you will think will be out?
Logic would tell me it would be one of the ruckmen, the MC dont always apply logic.

The Coon Dog
16-06-2011, 04:05 PM
Gilbee?

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs31/f/2008/207/e/8/Yahoo_Bang_Head_Emoticon_by_WhiteDragon1983.gif

azabob
16-06-2011, 06:28 PM
Gilbee?

Need double bang head. Howard out

SlimPickens
16-06-2011, 06:31 PM
Need double bang head. Howard out

must say very disappointed with this move.

DragzLS1
16-06-2011, 06:36 PM
Howard Is a shame not to be playing.. He has had some game time might be saving him and rotating some of the younger players to keep them fresh. If cooney doesn't pull up very well Howard will be back in next week which I have a feeling is going to happen.

LostDoggy
16-06-2011, 06:37 PM
Howard out? With Barlow still in the team

Just like last week. Very happy to see Schoefield get his first game, but i would rather have Wallis/Howard over Barlow and/or Gilbee.

LostDoggy
16-06-2011, 06:37 PM
must say very disappointed with this move.

Might be a late in for Wood... sore ankle

chef
16-06-2011, 06:53 PM

Yeah:)

SlimPickens
16-06-2011, 06:56 PM
Yeah:)

No doubt he'll be the sub. Glad he has gotten a game, would love to see him on for the opening bounce.

Rocco Jones
16-06-2011, 07:02 PM
The club has medicos, fitness people and coaches. We are outsiders and know nothing about Coons knee.

Look I hate mindless negativity but what are we meant to do bornadog? You constantly wheel out the 'they know best' line. Are we to simply to accept every fitness/medical decision because they are in the know and we are on the outside? We have had Cooney, Shaggy and Lake all struggle badly after coming back from pre-season injuries. I'm not necessarily saying the club are at fault for all or any of them but surely someone can be allowed to have the opinion that we are mishandling them.

LostDoggy
16-06-2011, 07:19 PM
Look I hate mindless negativity but what are we meant to do bornadog? You constantly wheel out the 'they know best' line. Are we to simply to accept every fitness/medical decision because they are in the know and we are on the outside? We have had Cooney, Shaggy and Lake all struggle badly after coming back from pre-season injuries. I'm not necessarily saying the club are at fault for all or any of them but surely someone can be allowed to have the opinion that we are mishandling them.
I'm with you on this one. Eade stated that Lake is turning a corner and starting to get some confidence in his body. Hmmm why can he see this and not see he had no confidence before. I think that Eade and Co. thought the old magic injection would get him through each week but either Lake is refusing injections or his injuries are just that bad and he was brought back to early.

LostDoggy
16-06-2011, 07:22 PM
The club has medicos, fitness people and coaches. We are outsiders and no nothing about Coons knee.

He is still suffering from the kneecap he fractured at the end of 2008, his knee swelled up again and was sore on Friday , I don't know how he has pulled up this week , I believe he should pull the pin on this season and have the operation now, then he will be fully rehabilitated before he starts pre-season

Greystache
16-06-2011, 07:58 PM
Might be a late in for Wood... sore ankle

He looked good a training to me, I didn't see anything concerning.

Greystache
16-06-2011, 08:03 PM
He is still suffering from the kneecap he fractured at the end of 2008, his knee swelled up again and was sore on Friday , I don't know how he has pulled up this week , I believe he should pull the pin on this season and have the operation now, then he will be fully rehabilitated before he starts pre-season

The nature of his injury means there isn't a surgical magic cure. Other than trim away some rough edges and try to get the patella to articulate a little more smoothly there's not much they can do. There's no guarantee the problem won't start again 2 months after he resumes full training.

LostDoggy
16-06-2011, 08:41 PM
The nature of his injury means there isn't a surgical magic cure. Other than trim away some rough edges and try to get the patella to articulate a little more smoothly there's not much they can do. There's no guarantee the problem won't start again 2 months after he resumes full training.

Young Adam might be faced with this and three months rehabilitation

http://www.hipandknee.co.uk/Web%20Leaflets%202006/pf%20leaflet%20FEB06.htm

Ghost Dog
16-06-2011, 08:47 PM
I like it. Schofield, Dahlhaus, Barlow. I just want to see them play and get to know them. very happy to watch this game to see how we go.

Welcome back Adam.

kruder
16-06-2011, 09:10 PM

The laughing stock? a bit of dramatic isn't it?

What we do know is there strategy over the past few years have failed.

Questions need to be asked, its as simple as that.

bornadog
16-06-2011, 11:55 PM
*What we do know is there strategy over the past few years have failed.

*uestions need to be asked, its as simple as that.

* What Stratgey do you talk about?

* You have every right to ask.