PDA

View Full Version : Game Day 2011 - R13 Western Bulldogs vs Adelaide

BulldogBelle
16-06-2011, 05:45 PM
This is the discussion thread for our Friday night game against Adelaide at ES.

My predictions are:

The Dogs by 28 points
BOG : Daniel Giansiracusa
Shaun Higgins to kick the first goal.

SlimPickens
16-06-2011, 06:12 PM
Dogs 22 pts
BOG: Dahlhaus
First Goal: Liam Jones

LostDoggy
16-06-2011, 06:18 PM
Dogs: 49 points
BOG: Liam Jones (6 goals, 21 possies, 11 marks, 2 score assists)
First Goal: (Future Bulldog) Bernie Vince

DragzLS1
16-06-2011, 06:20 PM
Dogs 42 points (Adelaide averages loses at etihad by 48 points) close game until last quarter
BOG: Boyd
First goal: gia

Greystache
16-06-2011, 06:27 PM
Dogs by 1 point.
BOG- Boyd
First goal- Gia

Daughter of the West
16-06-2011, 08:37 PM
Dogs by 23 points
BOG: Griffen
First goal: Jones

AndrewP6
16-06-2011, 11:09 PM
Dogs by 22
BOG Gia
First goal Murphy

Bumper Bulldogs
17-06-2011, 04:57 PM
Dogs by 47 points,
BOG - Boyd with 43 possessions
First - Goal Gia

Ozza
17-06-2011, 05:08 PM
Dogs by 24
BOG - Griffen
First goal - Minson.

bornadog
17-06-2011, 05:15 PM
Dogs by 17

BOG Griffen

First Goal Higgins

Doggy
17-06-2011, 05:41 PM
Dogs by 38 points,

BOG - Cooooooooooney!

First Goal - Jones

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
17-06-2011, 06:22 PM
Result: Dogs by 17 pointd
BOG: Robert Murphy
first goal: Giansiracusa

the banker
17-06-2011, 06:46 PM
dogs by 19

BOG Cal ward

first goal murphy

LostDoggy
17-06-2011, 06:50 PM
Dogs by 25 points
BOG = Murph
First Goal = Jones

DOG GOD
17-06-2011, 06:51 PM
Dogs by 11 pts
BOG: Boyd
first goal: Gia

Topdog
17-06-2011, 06:55 PM
Cooney first goal and @ $26 I hope I'm right.

Dogs by 27
BOG = Griff

Topdog
17-06-2011, 08:23 PM
Cooney starting as sub, good idea IMO.

ledge
17-06-2011, 08:53 PM
Reported on SEN Hudson was in a car accident on way to ground. bit shaken but will play.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
17-06-2011, 09:20 PM
So we're winning most of the indicators that on their own would indicate your team is doing well, winning clearances, contested ball, yet we are well behind on the scoreboard.
It really highlights how poorly we use the ball, especially going inside our fifty. Almost every single entry has been poorly executed, and like a boomerang it just right back again. Just sums up how poor we are at the moment.

ledge
17-06-2011, 09:20 PM
Wont win another game at this rate, think we have forgotten how to win.

Go_Dogs
17-06-2011, 09:28 PM
Still in this, but we've wasted a few opportunities thus far. Tippett looking too big for any of our defenders.

Dog54
17-06-2011, 09:55 PM
Chocco royal would be so upset his number 33 has been shamed so much. Bring cooney on now !

GVGjr
17-06-2011, 10:01 PM
Giansiracusa has been very good. Barlow and Dahlhaus have earned their spot. Sherman is a frustrating player. Murphy has been excellent.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
17-06-2011, 10:07 PM
Giansiracusa has been very good. Barlow and Dahlhaus have earned their spot. Sherman is a frustrating player. Murphy has been excellent.

I thought Griffen has worked his behind off too, and Gilbee has not taken advantage of his very lucky recall to the team.
It is our ball use going through the midfield and forward that is preventing us from capitalising on our excellent work in close and at stoppages

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
17-06-2011, 10:42 PM
Been a while since we've been in front at 3Qtr time, hope the guys remember what do to in this situation.

Good intensity for most of that quarter, just a pity we weren't able to capitalise more on the scoreboard.
How important is the first goal in the last going to be?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
17-06-2011, 11:08 PM
Good dash from Wood tonight, has hit the contest hard and run hard and generally used the ball well. Good for his confidence and development.

Scrappy game, but just getting a win is the important thing. The effort has now been there for two weeks, if not the polish and ball use.

Chicago1
17-06-2011, 11:19 PM
Deo gratias.

Rance Fan
17-06-2011, 11:20 PM
Well its a win.
Some good signs from a few newbies.
Opposition ordinary....bring on next week!

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
17-06-2011, 11:22 PM
Deo gratias.

Let's keep this place secular:D

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
17-06-2011, 11:24 PM
Well its a win.
Some good signs from a few newbies.
Opposition ordinary....bring on next week!

You know what.. I couldn't care less if we got a win against the Adelaide Amputees Under 12 right now. We just needed to get a win.
THank goodness the boys remembered how to get one

Chicago1
17-06-2011, 11:27 PM
Let's keep this place secular:D

That was in honour of Murph's parents. :p

Rance Fan
17-06-2011, 11:28 PM
You know what.. I couldn't care less if we got a win against the Adelaide Amputees Under 12 right now. We just needed to get a win.

Now for 2 in a row!...fingers crossed!!

Scraggers
17-06-2011, 11:29 PM

Do they remember the words to the song ??

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
17-06-2011, 11:29 PM
That was in honour of Murph's parents. :p

Thank goodness they decided to rescind their vows. Where would we be without Murph!!

Hotdog60
17-06-2011, 11:30 PM
I'm getting a big man crush on Daulhaus, I hope he can keep up the good work for the rest of the year. As for Djerrkura he was very disappointing and I think he may make way for someone else next week.

Also Huddo worked back into some form and got better as the game went on.

Good game from Higgins, maybe he can work better in the back half.

bornadog
17-06-2011, 11:37 PM
I'm getting a big man crush on Daulhaus, I hope he can keep up the good work for the rest of the year. As for Djerrkura he was very disappointing and I think he may make way for someone else next week.

Dahlhaus was fantastic tonight, love his work great game

G-Mo77
17-06-2011, 11:38 PM
Good to finally get a win, it will be a much nicer drive home

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
17-06-2011, 11:39 PM

Is Hudson still relevant when teams don't have a mobile ruckman who garners lots of possessions around the ground? So far it seems to be he can hold his own and contribute when this is the case, but looks a dinosaur against guys who move well around the park.

Higgins has looked better of half back, I would hope though that a player with his skills can prove his worth in a more important position. Long term we need him being more of an influence in the middle and pushing forward. Agree though he gave a good account tonight.
I too really love the introduction of Dahlhaus- there is a heap of raw talent to work with there in coming seasons. He will benefit from multiple pre-seasons which will hopefully provide him with more core strength and a more penetrating kick.

LostDoggy
18-06-2011, 12:11 AM
Nice to get a win but we really need a forward line.

westdog54
18-06-2011, 12:33 AM
Stuck at home so sat on the laptop taking notes all game. Ended up with plenty, I'll attach the file later on.

My summary:

Griffen clear BOG, followed closely by Gia. Murphy played very well. Smashed them in the middle in the end, Boyd and Cross busy all night.
Could have won by a lot more in the end, we were wasteful, missed some easy shots and blew a few opportunities.
The future is bright, Dalhaus, Schofield and Barlow can all hold their heads hight, Libba busy all night. Schofield sticking it to Tippett was priceless. Ward was excellent, first quarter Outstanding.
Williams competed well in a match-up he was never going to win. Well done young man.
Workrate and intensity in the second half outstanding. Needs to be like that the whole game.
The one on one defensive zone works against the lesser sides but will continue to get ripped to shreds against top teams. Not much you can do mid-season. We won't get away with opponent chasing all season.
Gilbee did some nice things but there were also a few not so nice things. I think there's enough for him to see out the season depending on form but the end looks like its near. Has lost a fair chunk of the pace and confidence that made him a great player
Hudson played well, rotated with Minson between the ruck and forward line most of the night. Rare for one of them to be off the ground.
Wood showed signs of having the ability to take over the rebounding role that Harbrow made his own.
Higgins at half back is working well, 26 touches tonight and used the ball well.
Sherman has a lot of ability but is far too cute at times. Those bouncy kicks frustrated me to the point of tears tonight. Give it some air and kick it like you mean it.
Morris and Picken played their usual, hard nosed games. hard to fault.
DJ has to go back to the VFL. Pressure and tackling was ok but some very poor decisions.
Jones worked hard but goalkicking was dead set rubbish. Needs to improve it.
Rocket a massive smile on his face talking to Tim Watson, great to see. Pointed out that we could have won by more.
According to Leigh Matthews we have used the same number of players as the Gold Coast this year. Good and bad in ways.

Happy with the win, Gold Coast next week, then a winnable game against Melbourne with a bit of momentum and luck. After that, who knows?

Clinging to hope.

westdog54
18-06-2011, 12:36 AM
These are the notes I was taking. Typing furiously all night.

I so need to learn short-hand.

GVGjr
18-06-2011, 12:52 AM
Terrific report there WD54

anfo27
18-06-2011, 01:22 AM
My first look at Daulhaus tonight and I love what i see. Lethal said it best tonight when he mentioned that young Luke proves that you don't need experience to be desperee ate. He does lack some polish but gee I love his desperation to make an impact when the ball is in his area. Wee man with a big heart.

Our disposal was woeful for the most part but I can't fault the boys efforts tonight. Was very disappointed in Jones's game and as much as I want us to play kids and get much needed game time into them they need to earn their spot for the following week, not sure Jones did that tonight.

I can't fault Barlows effort, he gives it everything but just doesn't have the natural ability to play this game at the highest level. He reminds me of Trent Bartlett, who would give you everything he had every week but at the end of the day he just wasn't good enough.

AndrewP6
18-06-2011, 01:23 AM
\
I can't fault Barlows effort, he gives it everything but just doesn't have the natural ability to play this game at the highest level. He reminds me of Trent Bartlett, who would give you everything he had every week but at the end of the day he just wasn't good enough.

Agreed, he could be the 2011 Ekers All-Stars vice-captain!

G-Mo77
18-06-2011, 01:48 AM
Schofield sticking it to Tippett was priceless.

Loved that! The big baby took a bump and waited for the trainers to come before he could run. Nothing wrong with him of course and Schofield absolutely gave it to him. I wish I was close enough to hear what he said because the big sook didn't like it one bit. He knocked Schofield over and he got up and went at him again and then knocked him over again. :D

He struggled early in the game but worked his way into the match in the second half.

Can't really say much else about Dahlhaus that hasn't been said already. A small quick player with the will to tackle is something we have missed for a long time.

Higgins' second half was terrific IMO. I watched him pretty closely in the first and he got towelled up by Henderson in the first half, second half he used the ball well and gave us some really solid drive out of the backline. He's still got to work a lot harder without the ball.

Murphy was awesome! Not much else to say. Very happy for the guy to celebrate his milestone like this.

I loved the run with the ball. It seemed we were more willing to take on the opposition and carry the ball a little more which of course lead to goals.

On to some negatives.

I'm really starting to worry about Jones' kicking. He's still very young and can improve but it looks like it's getting into his head.

Over use of the handball, again.

Sherman! I'm tired of seeing the hollywood kicks. DJ copped so much flack at the game for missing a goal in the second (I think) but if Sherman didn't try and be so cute he would have made it a lot easier. He tries to make the simple things look miraculous and it drives me nuts.

Shepherding! Please someone just work that little bit harder for your team mate! It picked up a bit in teh second half but the first half it was non existent.

jasopan
18-06-2011, 01:56 AM
When was the Schofield/Tippett incident again?
Needa rewatch that bit :D

G-Mo77
18-06-2011, 02:02 AM
I think it was the third.

LostDoggy
18-06-2011, 02:23 AM
Really enjoyed Schofield taking on Tippet , it was a big call to throw him in to get some game time , rewarded that decision in spades

Dahlhaus the " Gromminator " just great to see him on the ground , 18 disposals in a solid game

The spread of disposals , the chase and pressure , the team work , the aggression was lifted up several notches

Griffen best on ground by a country mile , his best game for long time , by that I mean his leadership and intensity

It was an interesting decision to let Boyd almost take a back seat ( if you want to put it that way ) , it was obvious he was told " Don't worry about trying lift the whole side by leading by example just go out there and enjoy yourself " , happy if he did that every week

I wish young Ward would play like that every week , he was a machine , a machine with big hair

I must admit Barlow surprised me , he was valuable as the athletic tall, his smother and goal was a highlight

Murphy in his 200th , the ultimate Club man

The look on Rocket,s face in a quiet moment after the game , priceless , it was an odd mixture of "Oh thank God " , " Stick that up ya " and " Only 11 to go " , it was like he had eaten 12 weetbix and washed it down with prune juice and a good dose of Senokot

jeemak
18-06-2011, 02:28 AM
Murphy showed his pure class tonight. If he can stay fit he'll play for a number of years and be untouchable.

I thought Barlow was exceptional for his second game at the club. He needs to clean a few decision making points of his game up (which will lead to better disposal and efficiency) as well as his defensive side, but he competes and is clearly fit. If he improves on this week like he did last week then we'd have to be happy with his progress to this point.

Higgins will take a lot out of tonight, and with some confidence in his body he should be able to translate that in to some solid midfield performances.

Giansiracusa is the form HFF/FP of the league right now. Aker should be eating his words, hard. His role is the hardest to play IMO, not a marking target, not a crumber, but a space creator and a secondary target. He's a true professional, and a hard worker that is converting limited opportunites.

DJ needs to get his head right. He seems to cook his brain when in a position to impact the game. He's clearly too good for VFL, and has the physical attributes to play in the senior team. Clearly lacking the level of concentration to perform in the top league now, and needs to mature quickly.

Dahlhaus was good. His pace and attack on the ball will hold him in good stead for when he learns to read the play a little better and has some confidence in his ability. Definitely the type of player we need.

Overall, Adelaide didn't create a lot of opportunities for themselves, and scored a lot on the break when we made a mess of things.. They were pretty poor. However, with a drastically different and innexperienced side we still managed to run all over them. We need to tighten up our skills and decision making considerably, and convert opportunities.

jasopan
18-06-2011, 03:18 AM

Awesome summary. I expect one next game :P

Chicago1
18-06-2011, 04:53 AM
Being able to see this guy play in person makes me wanna jump on a plane and head to the Gold Coast next week:

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q136/westernbulldogs1/luke-dahlhaus.jpg

Our proud future!

ledge
18-06-2011, 10:05 AM
Well I am really impressed with Dalhaus and Schofield, for those who said Barlow(cheesy) wasnt any good I suggest you have a look at tonights game, improving each game.
Missed Lake and Hall, coyuld have been a massive blow out.
Good signs tonight the players dont have an issie with Eade, I can see we are building something again.
Little thing to take note of, Dalhaus was still going strong in the last, he must have a great tank.
I thought Cooney did well after 4 weeks of no footy, better for the run and a good sub idea.

Go_Dogs
18-06-2011, 10:53 AM
for those who said Barlow(cheesy) wasnt any good I suggest you have a look at tonights game, improving each game.

Didn't think he was that bad last week, but the Big Cheese was great last night, looked dangerous, flew for and took a few marks and generally was just an option/contributor. Hopefully he can continue on, he has some good tools.

westdog54
18-06-2011, 11:40 AM
Awesome summary. I expect one next game :P

Don't get your hopes up. That was only the second time I'd been able to watch a game from start to finish all year. Decided I'd make the most of it. I'm on nightshift next week so will probably miss that game as well. Oh, Well.

westdog54
18-06-2011, 11:42 AM
The look on Rocket,s face in a quiet moment after the game , priceless , it was an odd mixture of "Oh thank God " , " Stick that up ya " and " Only 11 to go " , it was like he had eaten 12 weetbix and washed it down with prune juice and a good dose of Senokot

That gave me my second biggest laugh all year.

Complete with commostrophe,s as well.

You're really taking your little innovation seriously aren't you?:D

Doggy
18-06-2011, 11:44 AM
I keep hearing from a lot of commentators what a great pair of hands Liam Jones has.
Last night I don't believe he held onto 1 over head mark.
Hopefully he can get a few to stick as his confidence grows.

LostDoggy
18-06-2011, 11:49 AM
That gave me my second biggest laugh all year.

Complete with commostrophe,s as well.

You're really taking your little innovation seriously aren't you?:D

I had to to shoulder my half of the responsibility , did you click on the link ? \/ \/ \/

westdog54
18-06-2011, 11:56 AM
I had to to shoulder my half of the responsibility , did you click on the link ? \/ \/ \/

I did. Very good find.

If you go to edit your signature, you can put the picture itself as your sig rather than the link. Just hit the image icon next to the youtube one.

LostDoggy
18-06-2011, 12:19 PM
I did. Very good find.

If you go to edit your signature, you can put the picture itself as your sig rather than the link. Just hit the image icon next to the youtube one.

I made the banner ( puffs out chest, fist pump ) , I don't have an image icon on my account it's crossed off , I think it's a bit neater this way , I,m sure Captain Admin does,nt want visual pollution detracting from the forum

westdog54
18-06-2011, 01:42 PM
I made the banner ( puffs out chest, fist pump ) , I don't have an image icon on my account it's crossed off , I think it's a bit neater this way , I,m sure Captain Admin does,nt want visual pollution detracting from the forum

You made the banner?

Even more impressed now.

Dry Rot
18-06-2011, 03:21 PM

Terrific report there WD54

+1.

Was out and and missed the game, but reading that report I felt like I was there.

Great work.

LostDoggy
18-06-2011, 03:42 PM
A win is a win, is a win, and I'm more than happy to take it! Great to see the young guys standing up, the "gromit" surfer boy from Ocean Grove is a gem, and I loved watching Schofield doing his stuff with Tippett! Great to see someone with 'tude and a bit of mongrel not afraid to strut his stuff. What a game from Murph and Griff - handy having Gia back there slotting goals too! Two straight wins would be great - now the pressure if off, anything can happen!

westdog54
18-06-2011, 05:49 PM
+1.

Was out and and missed the game, but reading that report I felt like I was there.

Great work.

Next time I'm in the position to watch a game like that I might do a match log on WOOF, fanfooty.com.au style.

Mitcha
19-06-2011, 11:01 AM
Just some perspective on Liam Jones guys. We need to remember that he is only 20 years of age and due to the fact that Big Baz is not playing is copping the oppositions best defender every week and due to our lack of forward structure gets sucked up the ground far too often. He has the ability to take contested grabs up forward, a commodity we haven't had for while. Yes his kicking is not flash but this bloke is the one we MUST play for the rest of the season regardless of form for he is our future.

westdog54
19-06-2011, 12:33 PM
Just some perspective on Liam Jones guys. We need to remember that he is only 20 years of age and due to the fact that Big Baz is not playing is copping the oppositions best defender every week and due to our lack of forward structure gets sucked up the ground far too often. He has the ability to take contested grabs up forward, a commodity we haven't had for while. Yes his kicking is not flash but this bloke is the one we MUST play for the rest of the season regardless of form for he is our future.

I've been really happy with his endeavour, his workrate and his contested marking, but when we're in the position that we're in I'm not sure we can afford a key forward who sprays it as often as he does. He needs to straighten up.

lemmon
19-06-2011, 01:26 PM
I've been really happy with his endeavour, his workrate and his contested marking, but when we're in the position that we're in I'm not sure we can afford a key forward who sprays it as often as he does. He needs to straighten up.

Agree, heaps of talent but just watching him his body language is terrible when lining up, its almost a case of 'where will this one go' rather then having much confidence. Different type to Buddy who even when spraying them around still looks to want to be actually taking the shot.

LostDoggy
19-06-2011, 04:37 PM

Totally agree with this Mitcha, I posted pretty much the same thing on another thread. He is young, inexperienced (15 games) and playing a key position. Let's cut him some slack whilst he is developing, and you are right, not having Baz there to take a player or two out of the contest must be putting lots of pressure on his young body.