PDA

View Full Version : Round 13 - Dogs v Crows Preview

Go_Dogs
16-06-2011, 08:43 PM
Apologies, for being a little late :o

Well, this week shapes a a winnable game, even a must win game, because for as poorly as we have performed, since beating the Hawks in Rd 1, the Crows have been far worse.

Last time they met:
It was at AAMI, and a great day to be an SA-based Dogs supporter. We won in what ended up being a slog of a day, and from memory a few players got sick after the game.

Our recent record is good, not having lost to them since 2008.

In's & Outs:

So in come Cooney, Gilbee and Schofield. Out goes Stack, Howard and Mulligan. Looks like we've gone for more run which I like. At a guess (if the trend continues) Schofield will be the sub.

The Crows have two outs, Reilly and Sellar and back comes Henderson (good for us) and Schmidt, who might get a role on someone down back.

Key match ups:

Griffen V ? It would have probably been Reilly, but now he's out I'm not sure who they have 'suited' to playing on Griff. Could be an advantage here for us. If Cooney is in any sort of touch that will help significantly.

Rutten v Jones - Won't be surprised to see this happen for patches. Should be a good challenge for Jones, and if he works hard he should be able to get a lot of ball leading up to the wings.

Murphy v Knights - No idea if this would happen, but is a match up I'd like to see and possibly both coaches too given both players are good users by foot.

Williams v Tippett - I guess this is what we are going with. If the ball gets kicked onto Tippetts head deep it could cause us some trouble. The other defenders are going to need to help out in the air I think.

Johncock v Gia - Johncock is the Crows best running defender, and someone we need to be careful of. Wouldn't mind Gia getting a slightly defensive role, and also do his best to keep Johncock accountable through out.

Boyd v Thompson - Expect the respective ball magnets to go to head to head, amass close to 100 possessions between them and basically do as they please. Both can turn it over by foot, so might be a break even for both sides here.

Conclusion:

Well, I think we can win this one. Yes, we still have a bunch of kids playing but so do the Crows, so that doesn't really excuse a loss this week. We should have too much class and experience in our core group in Murphy, Griffen, Morris etc hopefully Cooney and Gilbee can have solid returns (although let's not expect too much from the former who hasn't played much of late).

The Crows are liable to panic under pressure, so I hope we work hard and with intent on the defensive aspects, the rest will come. If we can cause enough turn overs as well as winning our share of clearance and contested balls we should generate enough opportunity to kick goals. Again we need a good spread of goal-kickers as we don't have any obvious targets that will kick a bag. Perhaps Cooney will spend quite a bit of time forward if he plays?

Some of the Crows prime movers, including former B&F winners Vince and Douglas, are not at their best. They've struggled to play 4 quarters and kick big scores.

Dogs by 27 points.

bornadog
17-06-2011, 12:18 AM
Good one G16. I haven't seen the Crows at all this season and I am surprised they are sitting down near the bottom with us.

What type of gameplan do they employ? Are they copying Collingwood with the forward press or pretty much like the Adelaide of a few years ago with their defensive side?

Should be an interesting match and if we don't make too many mistakes hopefully we can win. Our biggest issue has been kicking goals and last week with only two in the second half, can't be repeated or it will be another loss.

Topdog
17-06-2011, 05:38 PM
Surely Cross goes to Thompson to try and shut him down.

Happy Days
17-06-2011, 05:48 PM
On Cooney, he was training with the forwards yesterday, so it would seem we could expect him to spend a bit of time forward.

LostDoggy
17-06-2011, 07:02 PM
Hope that Cooney can find some touch early, although it's a big ask after the interrupted season he has had thus far.

Wish I could be there tonight but I'm home in the warm with my flu - feeling pretty crappy and a good win would go a long way to making me feel better I reckon!

GVGjr
17-06-2011, 07:12 PM
I wonder how we will use Dahlhaus Rock today? I suspect we will want to get him right in midfield rotations.

LostDoggy
17-06-2011, 07:39 PM
I wonder how we will use Dahlhaus Rock today?I suspect we will want to get him right in midfield rotations.

lol best one I have heard so far :)

GVGjr
17-06-2011, 08:04 PM

I got that from a local paper. :)

choconmientay
17-06-2011, 08:05 PM
Cooney is the sub .... I guess that means he is not 100%

bornadog
18-06-2011, 05:07 PM

His nickname is the Grommit