PDA

View Full Version : Round #13 - Slaps and Sledges

GVGjr
17-06-2011, 06:20 PM
For those who aren't familiar with the Slaps and Sledges thread:

A slap on the back for a job well done by 2 players. (not to be confused with the Woof Player Awards (http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=9023))
This can be a passage of player or even a spirited effort.

A sledge to two players that let down the team. Try and make this constructive critique and not just overly critical.

Provide us with your thoughts on tonight's game against the Crows.

Rance Fan
17-06-2011, 11:23 PM
Slap
Griffen - another great game, continues to give his all...Star
Ward - Great game ...thats what we need!

Sledge
Williams - still worrys me at times, can get lost defensively.Lucky Tippett cant kick straight
Jones - talk about not kicking straight!!

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
17-06-2011, 11:28 PM
Slap - Griffen 4Qtr effort at high intensity, really set the tone effort wise tonight.
Slap - Guido our only target inside 50 and kept us in the game at crucial stages.
Slap-Dahlhaus - he exhibits enthusiasm and his pace and attack on the ball is exactly what we needed.

Sledge - Williams really looked shaky when there was a one on one
- Gilbee looks absolutely cooked to me.

GVGjr
17-06-2011, 11:52 PM
Slap
Giansiracusa's smother
Dahlhaus's mark in the last quarter
Woods run an dash in the last quarter

Desipura
18-06-2011, 12:23 AM
Slap Gia best fwd on the ground,
Dahlhaus for his enthusiasm
Murphy, absolute star
Griffen, really taking the next step in his career, vice captain next year would not surprise.

Sledge Minson, one kick to 3 qtr time. Don't play him fwd, he can't play there.
Djerkurra, very ordinary, fumbled on all bar one occasion. Got the Bronx cheers when he took a mark.

Jasper
18-06-2011, 12:28 AM
Slaps to Murphy, Higgins, Griffen, Ward (faded out), Dahlhaus (pace, guts and reasonable disposal), Gia worked hard, finished well and presented all night, Hudson very competitive and marked better

Sledge - Djerkurra - not an AFL footy player
Gilbee - looks to be struggling - the second efforts just aren't there anymore.

Go_Dogs
18-06-2011, 12:32 AM
Sledge Minson, one kick to 3 qtr time. Don't play him fwd, he can't play there.

Thought he was OK up forward, at least created a few contests and brought the ball to ground.

Slaps:
Cooney - came on and went straight into the middle. I felt we seemed to lift just having him back on the field.
Murphy - just played another great game, moving well and using the ball. Could be an AA half back this year.

Sledge:
One play on the wing where Dahlhaus was surrounded by about 6 Crows and no Bulldogs player in sight to assist. He did very well to hold it up momentarily before the weight of numbers just became too much, but where was anyone else?

westdog54
18-06-2011, 12:44 AM
Slaps:
The kids played well. Dalhaus and Schofield competed well, Libba did some nice things and Barlow a vast improvement. Schofield giving it to Tippett was the funnies thing I've seen all year.

Ward. I hope to god he stays, such a balanced footballer.

Murphy. Was making some notes through the game and I remarked that he was one of the cleverest players I've ever seen. Seems so in control whenever he is around the ball.

Sledges:
DJ. Had his colours lowered in a big big way.
Jones' Goalkicking. Its no good if you do the hard work in the lead up and don't capitalise. Must do better
Sherman. He's a talented player but he frustrated me tonight. Far too cute. Do the basics first and don't over-think it.

Desipura
18-06-2011, 12:46 AM
Thought he was OK up forward, at least created a few contests and brought the ball to ground.
else?

Please don't take this the wrong way, however I think that is a cop out. If you are tall and playing forward you have to be able to take a mark or at least look like you are, Minson did neither.

westbulldog
18-06-2011, 12:47 AM
Slap - Ward, Griffin, Murphy - all great contributors
Slap - Liam Pickens smother in the Crows goalsquare - never gives less than his all, another fine game.

Sledge - Djerkurra, fumbles, inept and not up to AFL standard, 6 possessions and no impact at all.
Williams - alas a tall forward beats him again

and for Maddog37's post below - you're entitled to your opinion but I suggest you re-run the first quarter against Westcoast

Maddog37
18-06-2011, 12:51 AM
Slap - Ward, Griffin, Murphy - all great contributors

Sledge - Djerkurra, fumbles, inept and not up to AFL standard, 6 possessions and no impact at all.
Williams - alas a tall forward beats him again

Tippett had one mark and six possessions in the last three quarters. Williams like all backs is a slave to how well his midfielders pressure the ball carrier.

Throughandthrough
18-06-2011, 12:53 AM
Sslap - Living in Adelaide and beating the Crows
Slap - the fact the game was live on TV and we were beating the Crows
Slap - Griffo.

Sledge, Jones Radar. Send it back and order a better one.

choconmientay
18-06-2011, 12:58 AM
Slap - Senior players: Murphy, Griffen, Gia, played very well tonight. Pups: All the pups but special mention to Ward and Dahlhaus :) I love their hunger to attack the ball.

Sledge - Disappointing crowds. Friday night home game and we can not get even 20.000 to turn up for the game :(

Williams, got beaten all night. To slow to the contests.

AndrewP6
18-06-2011, 01:16 AM
Slaps

Roald Dahlhaus (no one else likes it but I'm pressing on with the nickname!:) ) - great energy, love his endeavour and willingness to run back with the flight of the ball.

Bob Murphy - Congrats on a fine 200th game! Such poise, great balance.

Sledges

LJ's goalkicking. He could be anything, but has to learn to kick.
Slow start - fortunately Adelaide are poo.

Completely irrelevant sledge to Metro Trains. The 5.32 Pakenham train didn't come AT ALL!!!! Had to wait till five to six. Not happy!

LostDoggy
18-06-2011, 01:24 AM
Slap: We won a game! Sooooo excited to hear the song - was starting to forget the words....

Slap: Griffin is having a dead-set ripper of a year and it's getting lost in the mediocrity that surrounded him. Less so this week as lots of others stood up so he looked even better!

Slap: Gee this Dahlaus is fun to watch. He's going to be a ripper

No sledges - issues remain but the boys've been smacked around for too many weeks. Lets just enjoy a win!

Raw Toast
18-06-2011, 01:32 AM
Slaps to those already identified by most, but also to Williams for me - yes he got beaten early, but he was very impressive when the ball came down, took Tippet out of it for almost the whole second half, and laid some ripper tackles that helped changed the course of the game.

Also the game changed once we started kicking it in deep to where Minson helped create important contests and bring the ball to ground. Yes I'd have liked him to be more effective, but he had an opponent of very high quality and we looked much better kicking it in long than squibbing short passes that almost invariably were gobbled up by the crows defense.

The Coon Dog
18-06-2011, 01:35 AM
Slap - We appeared to completely overwhelm Adelaide in the clearances.

Slap - Ryan Griffen's workrate.

Sledge - The number of turnovers by foot coming out of defence.

Sledge - Jayden Schofield; mark the ball son when you're on your own!

anfo27
18-06-2011, 01:40 AM
Big slap: To the wee man Luke Daulhaus for his desperation to make an impact at every oppourtunity the ball was in his area, has some footy smarts to.
Slap: Bobby Murphy in his 200th game gave us some run & creativity.

Sledge: Liam Jones work rate & kicking for goal was poor. Not sure if he is lost or down on confidence but he looked to me like he just doesn't work anywhere near to the level he needs to.
Sledge: Djerka i thought was horrible and i few times after a play he was in i found myself questioning whether he has the smarts to play AFL, i don't think he has but i'm sure he will have chances to sway me.

bornadog
18-06-2011, 01:44 AM
Slap; Dahlhaus passage of play in the last. Wins the ball, passes to Gia but ball dropped, Johncock picks it up and guess who follows up, tackles and wins possession.

Slap; Griffen's heavy bump on number ten of Adelaide

Slap: Schofield gives it to Tippett when in hands of trainers and stirs him up to a point where Tippet throws Schofield to the ground, but he continues sledging him. Great to see a bulldog player with some lip.

Sledge: Jones, learn to kick son.

Sledge - Gilbee's passing errors, sad to see his skills deteriorate

LostDoggy
18-06-2011, 01:47 AM
Slap: Schofield taking on Tippet , angry little bugger

Slap: Dahlhaus , go the " Gromminator "

Slap: Griffen best game like for ever man , BOG

Slap: Intensity, Team Work , Aggression , back with a bang , where the hell have you been

Sledge: The pregnant pause before some decisions , just move the ball

Sledge: Someone should tell the Umpires that taking Mescaline before the game is not a good idea

Ghost Dog
18-06-2011, 01:55 AM
Slap: Schofield taking on Tippet , angry little bugger

Slap: Dahlhaus , go the " Gromminator "

Slap: Griffen best game like for ever man , BOG

Slap: Intensity, Team Work , Aggression , back with a bang , where the hell have you been

Sledge: The pregnant pause before some decisions , just move the ball

Sledge: Someone should tell the Umpires that taking Mescaline before the game is not a good idea

Slap - Barlow. 2nd Quarter showed us what he could do
Slap - Gia. Great work mate
Several slaps for Bob the footballer.

AndrewP6
18-06-2011, 01:56 AM
Sledge:

Myself for several poor posts tonight. :)

soupman
18-06-2011, 02:05 AM
Slap:
Dahlhaus: He is just so much fun to watch.
Giansiracusa: Presented really well, and finsihed his work. Also his tackling was excellent.

Sledges:
Djerrkurra: Had the night from hell and I felt sorry for him when the news of his being subbed off gained the loudest cheer of the night. Watching Dahlhaus get a standing ovation as he came off in the last made me realise just how big a contrast between the benching of two players there was. Poor guy must feel like shit, but sadly based on tonight he isn't up to it. I'm willing to give him an opportunity to prove me wrong, but he's a long way back now, and still has 2 years left to run on his contract.

G-Mo77
18-06-2011, 02:11 AM
Slap:
Giansiracusa: Presented really well, and finsihed his work. Also his tackling was excellent.

Sledges:
Djerrkurra: Had the night from hell and I felt sorry for him when the news of his being subbed off gained the loudest cheer of the night. Watching Dahlhaus get a standing ovation as he came off in the last made me realise just how big a contrast between the benching of two players there was. Poor guy must feel like shit, but sadly based on tonight he isn't up to it. I'm willing to give him an opportunity to prove me wrong, but he's a long way back now, and still has 2 years left to run on his contract.

It was more to do with Cooney coming on than DJ going off.

anfo27
18-06-2011, 02:12 AM
Slap:

Sledges:

Say it ain't so soup? if thats true i'm quite mystified by that.

soupman
18-06-2011, 02:12 AM
It was more to do with Cooney coming on than DJ going off.

I'm not so sure about that.

G-Mo77
18-06-2011, 02:13 AM
I'm not so sure about that.

I am, it was followed by COOOOOOOOOON after it.

soupman
18-06-2011, 02:13 AM

My understanding is he was given a 3 year contract. God knows why? Even if he turns out to be good 3 years is way too much for someone who has been on an AFL list for years, only cracked 4 games and was in all likelihood about to be delisted.

soupman
18-06-2011, 02:15 AM
I am, it was followed by COOOOOOOOOON after it.

Not where I was sitting. And the bronx cheers kind of back me up a little (I may be wrong though, just thats how I interpreted it, because lets be honest we had a very frustrated group of supporters by half time and Djerrkurra was having the most obvious shocker of all the players).

I'm not saying you are wrong, I'm just saying that I am right;)

G-Mo77
18-06-2011, 02:18 AM
I'm not saying you are wrong, I'm just saying that I am right;)

:D

OK then. :)

Remi Moses
18-06-2011, 03:05 AM
[/B]

Tippett had one mark and six possessions in the last three quarters. Williams like all backs is a slave to how well his midfielders pressure the ball carrier.

I thought the same. Williams was OK I thought

Remi Moses
18-06-2011, 03:19 AM
Slaps- Griffen ( outstanding tonight, more robust and that hit on the Crow player was superb)
Slaps- Murphy ( his skills were a standout, that basketball play in front of me was brilliant
Slaps - Dahlhaus ( the effort and enthusiasm was infectious)
Slaps- Ward ( faded, but got us going)
Slaps - the coaching staff for giving Higgins a new role
Slaps- Wood ( got better as the game went on)
Slaps- Barlow ( been a surprise packet)
Slaps- Giansiricusa( had a very good month)

Sledge- Djkuerra (not up to it)
Sledge- Minson ( just couldn't get into the contest)
Sledge- Jones( Liam has to work on his finishing)

Dancin' Douggy
18-06-2011, 08:57 AM
[/B]

I can handle someone being beaten, Fair enough.
But at least TWICE Tom didn't put his hands up when standing the mark for a set shot.
He stood hunched forward with his hands on his knees.
If we are going to say it was a career ending effort by Hill in a game where we were being thrashed. What does it say about Tom doing it repeatedly in a tight game?

I hope he gets strips torn off him for it but no one seemed to notice it or mention it?

TOM. WHERES YOUR HEAD AT?????????

Dancin' Douggy
18-06-2011, 09:03 AM
Slaps. Easton Wood. Getting better every week, will be a star for us.
Murphy. Sensational career, If that fat Moron Rocca hadn't snapped his knee in that completely unnecessarily malicious tackle who knows how much better he could be.

Sledge. Tom Williams for zero effort in manning set shots.
Sledge. Jones. Trys his heart out and I like the cut of his jib but for gods sake man practise your kicking.

Maddog37
18-06-2011, 09:03 AM
I think it was only one goal not one mark sorry.

LostDoggy
18-06-2011, 09:48 AM
Slap: Griff for that awesome attack on the ball late where he flew through and took out the crows player. Up there with best bumps of all time.

Slap: Gia and Murphy class

Sledge: Jones goal kicking
Sledge: DJ, kick to a blue jumper please

LostDoggy
18-06-2011, 10:05 AM
slap: the kids for taking the fight up to the opposition. A few of them showed that they are players and have a bit of mongrel (liked Schofield's agression towards Tippet)
slap: work rate across the board was much better - alot more sacrificial running

sledge: DJ - unfortunately had a shocker, but on the upside he presented and was where the ball was. Just can't afford to make the mistakes he did at the top level
sledge: The ease of Adelaide's ball movement out of the backline for most of the night. Forget the forward press, we didn't even have an adequate mid-90's zone when they kicked out. I hate to be too negative but a half decent team would have put us to the sword early in particular

Go_Dogs
18-06-2011, 10:48 AM
Slap: Griff for that awesome attack on the ball late where he flew through and took out the crows player. Up there with best bumps of all time

As good a hit as you'll see in the modern game. Flattened him.

Ghost Dog
18-06-2011, 10:59 AM
alot of people have disparaged Barlow on here for a while.
I thought he has a 2010 'Andrew Walker' like propensity for looking a little lost at times, but last night,
was really impressed with his effort. Walker has kept at it and is a damaging player now, so let's hope the same for Barlow. was sensational to see him get lots of slaps from the boys
after that spoil and goal. Well done Bega boy. I just love it when a maligned player pulls out a good game. If he can just keep putting in the effort, despite his flaws, who knows what he can do.

1eyedog
18-06-2011, 11:07 AM
SLAPS

Griff- gut busting game really stood up
Ward- Went in hard early and kept us in it
Gia_ Worked hard to provide a target and kicked beautifully
Murphy- so creative what a gun
Dahlhaus_ continued on well from last week

SLEDGES

DJ- I'm sorry but there is a reason Geelong cut him thank goodness he was subbed early.
Jones- Created a contest but was badly beaten, did not hold his marks and kicked poorly
Williams- Tippett was all over him like ants on candy and would have kicked an infinite amount of goals on him last night if he had better supply. He was totally out positioned all night which is a huge concern. He seems to be going backwards.

turtle
18-06-2011, 11:38 AM
Slaps:

Murph (the best he's looked for a long time. he seems to have regained the leg speed from secveral years ago, and his ability to "dance on dollar"

Griff - played like the player we all hoped he would be. Superb

Guido - smothers , tackles & goals. Brilliant

Picken - I love this bloke.

Ward - disposal still needs work, but geez he was great, especially in the first quarter

Wood's dash out of defence

2nd half forward press. First time this year it's looked like we might be able to make it work

Sledges:

Jones' kicking for goal

LostDoggy
18-06-2011, 11:38 AM
Slaps- Griffen ( outstanding tonight, more robust and that hit on the Crow player was superb)
Slaps- Murphy ( his skills were a standout, that basketball play in front of me was brilliant
Slaps - Dahlhaus ( the effort and enthusiasm was infectious)
Slaps- Ward ( faded, but got us going)
Slaps - the coaching staff for giving Higgins a new role
Slaps- Wood ( got better as the game went on)
Slaps- Barlow ( been a surprise packet)
Slaps- Giansiricusa( had a very good month)

Sledge- Djkuerra (not up to it)
Sledge- Minson ( just couldn't get into the contest)
Sledge- Jones( Liam has to work on his finishing)

Thought he actually done alright last night, stat wise he was down, but his other 1% things were very good.

Created an option, was able to bring the the ball to ground, chased, tackled & actually had clean heads below his knees.

Slap - Griffen for that big hit on the Crows player :)

LongWait
18-06-2011, 12:06 PM
Slap - Griffen. Ryan has stepped up over the past year to become the player we always hoped he would be.

Slap - Gia. Has rightly at times copped a bit of stick from supporters (including me) and especialy from Aker, but now when the club needs the senior players to step up and lead from the front Gia, has really delivered. Well done Daniel.

westbulldog
18-06-2011, 12:25 PM
I can handle someone being beaten, Fair enough.
But at least TWICE Tom didn't put his hands up when standing the mark for a set shot.
He stood hunched forward with his hands on his knees.
If we are going to say it was a career ending effort by Hill in a game where we were being thrashed. What does it say about Tom doing it repeatedly in a tight game?

I hope he gets strips torn off him for it but no one seemed to notice it or mention it?

TOM. WHERES YOUR HEAD AT?????????

It was noticed, the camera angle was from behind the kicker, couldn''t miss it.
\In contrast, the general work rate on the marks was very good all game.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
18-06-2011, 12:54 PM

.[/QUOTE]

I think they got freaked out by the giant bird on the crows jumper

G-Mo77
18-06-2011, 12:57 PM
Slap - Not sure if it's been mentioned but I loved the projectors outside of the ground which showed pictures of the players. It was my first home game for a while so it may have been done before. It had a bit of class about it and made it feel like a real home game.

bornadog
18-06-2011, 01:09 PM
Slap - Not sure if it's been mentioned but I loved the projectors outside of the ground which showed pictures of the players. It was my first home game for a while so it may have been done before. It had a bit of class about it and made it feel like a real home game.

and sledge for supporters not showing up.

Scorlibo
18-06-2011, 01:13 PM
It was noticed, the camera angle was from behind the kicker, couldn''t miss it.
\In contrast, the general work rate on the marks was very good all game.

I also noticed Williams not putting his hands up, but then I looked closer and saw him sledging Tippett with everything he had, if it worked, and it did, I have no problem with it.

bornadog
18-06-2011, 01:18 PM
I also noticed Williams not putting his hands up, but then I looked closer and saw him sledging Tippett with everything he had, if it worked, and it did, I have no problem with it.

Williams really battled it out last night against a guy that was much bigger and stronger than he is. I know Tippet missed two easy goals but he also got two goals from dubious frees.

Dancin' Douggy
18-06-2011, 01:44 PM

I imagine you can sledge and put your hands up at the same time?

Go_Dogs
18-06-2011, 01:57 PM
Williams really battled it out last night against a guy that was much bigger and stronger than he is. I know Tippet missed two easy goals but he also got two goals from dubious frees.

Agreed. Was never a good match up for us, and Tommy did OK I thought.

Mofra
18-06-2011, 02:01 PM
Slap:
Gia - only effective forward on the ground, played as a leader
Schofield getting into Tippett - for years we've been the AFL nice guys, it's good to have some pricks in the team

Sledge:
Picken - if you're only getting the ball 12 times and you turn it over 4 times in that, you need to absoutely blanket a gun opponent
MC - I still don't think Minson & Hudson can play in the same team against top sides. Make a call.

Desipura
18-06-2011, 02:10 PM
Sledge:
Picken - if you're only getting the ball 12 times and you turn it over 4 times in that, you need to absoutely blanket a gun opponent
all.

Bit harsh on Picken, he has one rare average game and gets a sledge. Fires up against the big teams, that's the important thing IMHO

The Pie Man
18-06-2011, 02:24 PM
Is the half back line footy rehab? Seemed to be working for Hill earlier in the year, and Higgins has been effective of recent times. Slap to the MC and Higgins for application

Watching the replay now, watching Dahlhaus is almost relief - relief that we may have finally found a quick, crumbing, chasing forward/mid. Will give it another 18-19 games to make a call, but very promising

Emotive time - I love a good goal celebration. Sherman seems to lack something when the ball's on the deck, but gets to the right spots and fires it up when he converts. More please

While on personality injections, Schofield is gold!

Cooney tweeted his knee has pulled up well (and gave fans not there last night a massive whack) I reserve my biggest slap for this

Scorlibo
18-06-2011, 02:33 PM

Of course, but I presume this was a tactical part of putting Tippett off his kick.

LostDoggy
18-06-2011, 02:45 PM
Slap:
Gia - only effective forward on the ground, played as a leader
Schofield getting into Tippett - for years we've been the AFL nice guys, it's good to have some pricks in the team

Sledge:
MC - I still don't think Minson & Hudson can play in the same team against top sides. Make a call.

I love the fact that when he got tossed on the ground he had a cheeky little grin on his face. What a little smart@rse - gotta love it! :D

Bulldog Joe
18-06-2011, 02:59 PM
Slap Gia best fwd on the ground,
Dahlhaus for his enthusiasm
Murphy, absolute star
Griffen, really taking the next step in his career, vice captain next year would not surprise.

Sledge Minson, one kick to 3 qtr time. Don't play him fwd, he can't play there.Djerkurra, very ordinary, fumbled on all bar one occasion. Got the Bronx cheers when he took a mark.

I know we have had our discussions about Will, but I liked his effort. He was NEVER out marked and influenced the contests creating scoring chances.

He also won at least 2 frees which were play on to advantage as the runners took the ball away. I also thought his ruck work was influential with plenty of taps to advantage.

PS
Just saw some stats and not sure how they count hitouts and advantage butto 3/4 time Will has had at least 5 clear advantage taps and credited with 3. Was sitting near an Adelaide supporter and made a comment about how well was doing in the ruck and got agreement that he was dominating Jacobs. Official stats don't support that, but doesn't make it wrong.

Bulldog Joe
18-06-2011, 03:03 PM
Slap to Barlow. I was critical of him last week, but a great contributor this time.

Flamethrower
18-06-2011, 03:48 PM
Slaps

- Gia - did a great job on Johncock, worked his tail off making position and providing a lead up target. Was well rewarded with 4 goals.

- Tommy - had his hands full with no help from either the jaundiced fools or the midfielders pushing back to help out the backline. Considering Tippett has had our number at times in the past, Tommy did well to restrict him to 3 goals.

- Luke Dahlhaus & Jayden Schofield- it's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Their enthusiam was infectious. Dahl's tackle of Johncock was a "special".

Sledges

- The midfielders and high forwards - didn't work hard enough early defensively, leaving the defenders one out with their opponents with plenty of space to work with. The whole team butchered the ball early too, but I think that had more to do with players trying too hard to attack quickly to cut through the Crows' press.

- For them, what has happened to Patrick Dangerfield. Doesn't work hard enough for an AFL player.

Hot_Doggies
18-06-2011, 03:53 PM

I believe he got a 3 yr deal because we are close to the cap.

eg 150k for 3yrs, instead of 200k for 2yrs

LostDoggy
18-06-2011, 03:57 PM
Slap - Griff - what a great game and fantastic to see you deck that player with a great shoulder bump.

Slap - Dahlhaus - just what we need a quick, crumbing forward who is not afraid to put his head over the ball.

I see everyone's sledges about Liam Jones and whilst I agree to a certain extent, let's not forget he is a young guy with 15 games under his belt playing against big bodied blokes in a key position. Surely we can cut him some slack - I have no doubt he will improve his goal kicking, we just need to be patient. :D

w3design
18-06-2011, 04:07 PM

I noticed this too and was infuriated. It was early in the game too and Tippett's kicking can be wonky, the shor was no 'gimme' .It isn't the first time I've seen Tom looking more like he is wallowing in the despair of being out marked rather than doing everything humanly possible to put his opponent off.

Anyway..

Slap: griff..it was the complete package last night. Loved his game, especially that inspirational hit. It wasn't that long ago when we all wondered if he would deliver on that enormous talent. That question's been answered.
Slap: murph...your parents would have been proud. Again!
Slap: the fans that turned up.
Slap: our new cult figure, Dalhaus..the energizer bunny.

Sledge: the fans that didn't turn up.

Ghost Dog
18-06-2011, 04:24 PM
I noticed this too and was infuriated. It was early in the game too and Tippett's kicking can be wonky, the shor was no 'gimme' .It isn't the first time I've seen Tom looking more like he is wallowing in the despair of being out marked rather than doing everything humanly possible to put his opponent off.

Anyway..

Slap: griff..it was the complete package last night. Loved his game, especially that inspirational hit. It wasn't that long ago when we all wondered if he would deliver on that enormous talent. That question's been answered.
Slap: murph...your parents would have been proud. Again!
Slap: the fans that turned up.
Slap: our new cult figure, Dalhaus..the energizer bunny.

He has a fair sulk to the umps doesn't he? the ol Tommy.
Gawd how good was it to hear our song after the game?
Yay

Ghost Dog
18-06-2011, 04:28 PM
Slap - Griff - what a great game and fantastic to see you deck that player with a great shoulder bump.

Slap - Dahlhaus - just what we need a quick, crumbing forward who is not afraid to put his head over the ball.

I see everyone's sledges about Liam Jones and whilst I agree to a certain extent, let's not forget he is a young guy with 15 games under his belt playing against big bodied blokes in a key position. Surely we can cut him some slack - I have no doubt he will improve his goal kicking, we just need to be patient. :D

I think the thing is with Jones, the mistakes he is making are more decisions, such as body positioning, in relation to contests and kicking, which I'm confident hecan be taught, and strength related skills, being able to hold a mark and kick through the ball.
he looks alert and doesn't sulk when he loses a contest, sincere in his efforts and has a ton of ability. I agree. Lay off the kid.

Desipura
18-06-2011, 05:28 PM
I know we have had our discussions about Will, but I liked his effort. He was NEVER out marked and influenced the contests creating scoring chances.

He also won at least 2 frees which were play on to advantage as the runners took the ball away. I also thought his ruck work was influential with plenty of taps to advantage.

PS
Just saw some stats and not sure how they count hitouts and advantage butto 3/4 time Will has had at least 5 clear advantage taps and credited with 3. Was sitting near an Adelaide supporter and made a comment about how well was doing in the ruck and got agreement that he was dominating Jacobs. Official stats don't support that, but doesn't make it wrong.

That's cool, we are at oppose ends regarding Minsons talent as an AFL player. Agree to strongly disagree.
If we all thought the same, it would not be a very interesting discussion.
Peter Street used to get a lot of taps to advantage.
Interesting that you use stats then dismiss them as they do not support what you saying.

Remi Moses
18-06-2011, 05:38 PM

Noticed it to, he stood and shouted at Tippet.He was a popular sledging target all night.

Bulldog Joe
18-06-2011, 06:01 PM
That's cool, we are at oppose ends regarding Minsons talent as an AFL player. Agree to strongly disagree.
Interesting that you use stats then dismiss them as they do not support what you saying.

Sorry Desi ... I am merely pointing out that stats are not a reliable guide. In fact I am not even certain they are reliably assessed.

Mofra
18-06-2011, 07:13 PM
Bit harsh on Picken, he has one rare average game and gets a sledge. Fires up against the big teams, that's the important thing IMHO
This thread is about one game, not the season.

always right
18-06-2011, 08:04 PM

I think we undervalue Rutten who is a very powerful player. His strength against Will was enormous.....he had him off balance every time the ball went forward.

ledge
18-06-2011, 08:18 PM
I think both our ruckman did well, Huddo took marks around the ground and Minson was involved directly with 2 goals, great tackle in goal square and a free to goal.
Minson might not have marked the ball close to goal but its not all about marking, bringing the ball to ground is important too.
I think at least twice a game on average Minson has thumped the ball 30 metres into our forward line from the centre
So I would give both slaps.
Personally I want to see Minson in the ruck and Roughead up forward.
I find it interesting people have a go at Minson who is young and can at least go forward and make presence but Hudson who is approx 10 years older and has not shown anything going forward isnt on the radar more with todays game.
Our future lies in two ruckman who can show presence in the forward line.

Bumper Bulldogs
18-06-2011, 11:26 PM
Slap - Murphy just class and I hope he has a few kids that have more weight than him

Slap - Dollhouse I thought he gave it everything and shows how much we miss Matthew Robins

Sledge - Minson you need to lead at the ball and use two hands.

Sledge - Tommy Williams we all wanted to hand Josh for not standing the mark, well you did but couldn't have give a stuff about it "Just like Hill" seriously you could at least put a hand up or jump and show a little effort. Absolutely discussing and I hope they smash you this week about it.

The Underdog
19-06-2011, 01:34 PM

Is it ok if I've got a note from my mum?

Slap: Griff - finally started hitting his targets and thinking through his kicks. The round the corner to Wood in the last was genius vision
Slap: Murphy - A gem of a 200th. This season has reminded us what we've missed having him not at 100% for the past couple of seasons. He's one of the most enjoyable players to watch when he's on song. Could come top 3 in the B&F if he keeps this up.

Sledge: Schofield - love the moxie, but if you're going to give it to someone, maybe you should prove you're up to the level first (not saying he isn't but had done bugger all up to that point) and if you point at the scoreboard make sure the game still isn't up for grabs.
Sledge: Liam Jones kicking at goal. Could have put the game away earlier but looks very uncomfortable shooting for goal.

Dazza
19-06-2011, 02:49 PM
Slap - We won

Sledge - The crowd

bornadog
19-06-2011, 03:07 PM
Sledge: Schofield - love the moxie, but if you're going to give it to someone, maybe you should prove you're up to the level first (not saying he isn't but had done bugger all up to that point) and if you point at the scoreboard make sure the game still isn't up for grabs.

This is an unfair sledge.

The Underdog
19-06-2011, 03:22 PM
This is an unfair sledge.

It's an unfair world

Dancin' Douggy
19-06-2011, 08:05 PM
It's an unfair world

And an unfair sledge in an unfair world. 2 wrongs?

LostDoggy
19-06-2011, 08:44 PM
Huge slaps to Bob, Griff, Dale, Boydy, Gia, Woody, Wardy, etc, etc.
Gigantic slap to having Coons as sub. It sure lifted the players and supporters when he ran on to the ground and all seemed to stand taller with him there. Great work from Adam too helping everyone with his instructions. Think he will be a fantastic captain one day.
Sledge to the crowd numbers - poor and made us all feel cooler because there was a lack of packed bodies around.

The Underdog
19-06-2011, 11:51 PM
And an unfair sledge in an unfair world. 2 wrongs?

Perhaps, but just in case anyone wants clarification on what annoyed me about his actions.
Up to that point in the game Schofield had done very little but look off the pace of AFL football. He gave lip to Tippet who had looked early on like he would destroy us (fortunately his set shot kicking is patchy). Schofield pointed towards the scoreboard (again I'm making assumptions but it seemed pretty clear) at which point we were 18 points up, a margin which on recent form we were perfectly capable of blowing, and quick.
Adelaide took the ball forward directly after that and missed a fairly straight forward shot.

As it turned out, all ended up well and I like that he has the self confidence to back himself in, in his first game, but he has to be prepared for this to backfire on him, which as about the 400th best player in the league currently will likely happen. Also as a Dogs supporter don't be offended when he gets sat on his bum, he's probably earned it.

I also have a bit of a problem with one of our players being to overly cocky on the field when pretty much all we've done this year on the field is suck.

Anyway if that's an unfair view so be it. I wasn't even at the game so I probably no longer count as a real fan anyway...which is fair.

AndrewP6
20-06-2011, 12:03 AM
Up to that point in the game Schofield had done very little but look off the pace of AFL football. He gave lip to Tippet who had looked early on like he would destroy us (fortunately his set shot kicking is patchy). Schofield pointed towards the scoreboard (again I'm making assumptions but it seemed pretty clear) at which point we were 18 points up, a margin which on recent form we were perfectly capable of blowing, and quick.
Adelaide took the ball forward directly after that and missed a fairly straight forward shot.

As it turned out, all ended up well and I like that he has the self confidence to back himself in, in his first game, but he has to be prepared for this to backfire on him, which as about the 400th best player in the league currently will likely happen. Also as a Dogs supporter don't be offended when he gets sat on his bum, he's probably earned it.

I also have a bit of a problem with one of our players being to overly cocky on the field when pretty much all we've done this year on the field is suck.

I think you've made a good point... as one of my basketball captains, a Paralympian, used to tell people showing similar behaviours "Don't get ahead of yourself, son"

always right
20-06-2011, 09:30 AM
I'm going to cut him some slack...only because in a team of players who tend to go into their shells when things are going against them, having someone with this sort of self confidence is a nice change. I'm sure he's going to get put on his backside more than once but I really liked the way he kept backing himself on Friday night even after he had a fairly shaky start to the evening.

Ozza
20-06-2011, 10:11 AM
Slap - Bob Murphy - all class for 200 Games. Cut the crows up from half back with his skills and evasiveness.

Slap - Daulhaus - his approach to the game is great - high energy, enthusiasm and he is brave - can't ask for much more.

Slap - Gia - was terriffic - kept us in the game early.

Slap - the piece of play where Minson laid the tackle on Rutten, Libba saved the ball from going over into the behinds, handball to Boyd, over to Sherman - goal. Thats the intensity we need close to goal.

Sledge - Jones' kicking at goal. Really have to put the set shots away.
Sledge - Tommy Williams when sitting under the ball - gets a bit lost, looks for body contact - needs to improve this (apart from that aspect he was good).
Half Sledge - To Schofield - for precisely the reasons 'The Underdog' has pointed out. It wasn't a good look. The attitude is fine - but know when to apply it - the timing was poor.

I wanted to put in an honorable mention for big Will. In a game where he couldn't get a lot of the ball - I thought his work rate was good - and he managed to bring the ball to ground to our advantage very often when he was in contests with Rutten. Rutten is a serious footballer - and impossible to move in a marking contest - and when you are having a quiet day - like WIll was - its important to still do some team things to contribute.

Bulldog Joe
20-06-2011, 04:49 PM
I'm going to cut him some slack...only because in a team of players who tend to go into their shells when things are going against them, having someone with this sort of self confidence is a nice change. I'm sure he's going to get put on his backside more than once but I really liked the way he kept backing himself on Friday night even after he had a fairly shaky start to the evening.

It is much better to exude confidence and attitude, even before he earns the respect of his peers.

If you don't believe in yourself how can you achieve for yourself.

When you exhibit self belief it is infectious.

Enthusiasm for the contest is a necessary ingredient and something really needed by the Dogs.

If you want to be enthusiastic you MUST act enthusiastic.

bornadog
20-06-2011, 05:18 PM
It is much better to exude confidence and attitude, even before he earns the respect of his peers.

If you don't believe in yourself how can you achieve for yourself.

When you exhibit self belief it is infectious.

Enthusiasm for the contest is a necessary ingredient and something really needed by the Dogs.

If you want to be enthusiastic you MUST act enthusiastic.

Schofield plus Dahlhaus, what great enthusiasm.

Maddog37
20-06-2011, 05:55 PM
Watching the replay and when Tippett threw him to the ground Schofeld was laughing his head off. He genuinely loves the niggle.

Nuggety Back Pocket
20-06-2011, 07:21 PM
Thought he actually done alright last night, stat wise he was down, but his other 1% things were very good.

Created an option, was able to bring the the ball to ground, chased, tackled & actually had clean heads below his knees.

Slap - Griffen for that big hit on the Crows player :)

Minson was poor. He never looked like taking a mark up forward. Jones is a long way off being good enough at CHF. Who ever decided to give DJ a 3 year is astounding!
You missed giving Williams a sledge.
Didn't have a clue against Tippett in the air, who should have kicked 6 goals.

Ghost Dog
20-06-2011, 08:48 PM
Minson was poor. He never looked like taking a mark up forward. Jones is a long way off being good enough at CHF. Who ever decided to give DJ a 3 year is astounding!

And who should we have played instead of Williams?
He's capable of better than that. Just needs to back himself in does our young Tom. He did some ok things.

A dogs life
20-06-2011, 10:12 PM

I agree as i think it is great to have someone in the team with a lot of self confidence. Hopefully he can match his confidence with ability. If he does match it, it will be great to have someone that all other teams hate. Just like when we had Libba senior we loved it.

LostDoggy
20-06-2011, 10:25 PM
Slap to big Will - his work rate was fantastic, didn't get a lot of it but when he did his use was first rate and when he didn't have the ball his bodywork and pressure was great. He is playing selfless team oriented football and I'm not sure why he cops so much criticism here

LostDoggy
20-06-2011, 10:32 PM
Slap to big Will - his work rate was fantastic, didn't get a lot of it but when he did his use was first rate and when he didn't have the ball his bodywork and pressure was great. He is playing selfless team oriented football and I'm not sure why he cops so much criticism here

Agree after watching the replay big ticks to Will

immortalmike
21-06-2011, 01:47 AM

Bullshit! Tippett only beat Tom twice. And how can someone who kicked 3.2, with only three marks inside 50, kick 6 goals?

bulldogsthru&thru
21-06-2011, 09:56 AM
Big Will i thought played a great game for the team. How many times did he create a contest in the forward line and bring the ball to ground for our forwards? Its exactly what he needs to do down there (apart from taking a mark) as too many times we have seen over and over again the ball bombed into the 50 only for it to come straight back out as we have no one who can create a contest in the packs. He took Rutten out of the game at times which allowed others to get free. Yes he struggles to take a mark, but he is a massive unit that can cause problems for the oppositions defense if we know how to use him properly. I thought we crumbed the packs A LOT better friday night. Something i have been screaming for the past couple of seasons

LostDoggy
21-06-2011, 11:22 AM
Good work to the posters who have slapped big Will. He is really putting in a lot of effort even though he is playing out of his best position. Bring on Minno and Roughy.