PDA

View Full Version : Round #14 Match Committee

GVGjr
17-06-2011, 06:23 PM
If you were on the Match Committee who would the likely ins and outs for the round 14 away game against the Gold Coast Suns up in sunny Queensland?

GVGjr
17-06-2011, 11:49 PM
A coupe of changes?

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
17-06-2011, 11:53 PM
Jones out for Hall, he needs to get some confidence in his kicking for goal. 3 dismal shots for goals that should he should be nailing more times than not.
I'd think that Gilbee would be on very shaky ground were there not injury problems with Stack & Hargrave out.
Does Cooney get a full game next week if his knee doesn't swell up during the week? Who makes way for him?

I think we need to see how Willy go this weekend and see what options there are that present

GVGjr
17-06-2011, 11:57 PM
Roughead for Hudson might be worth considering. Djerrkura and Gilbee would need some luck. Schofield and Libertore struggled.

lemmon
18-06-2011, 12:12 AM
Libba looks like he needs a rest, agree that Djerrkura and Gilbee arent doing enough.

Desipura
18-06-2011, 12:18 AM
Schofield did well, never shirked can issue.
At this early stage
In Hall, Roughy and Vespa
Out DJ, Minson and Jones (the burden of being the only key fwd showed)

Jasper
18-06-2011, 12:31 AM
Depending on form in Willi

Out Djerkurra Gilbee
In ...Howard (Gilbee's replacement), Tutt or Vez (may as well persist with youth)

gohardorgohome
18-06-2011, 12:57 AM
Roughead for Hudson might be worth considering. Djerrkura and Gilbee would need some luck. Schofield and Libertore struggled.

You must have been at a different game to me. I though Schofield was good for a first gamer.

Djerrkera was disappointing IMO.

GVGjr
18-06-2011, 12:59 AM
You must have been at a different game to me. I though Schofield was good for a first gamer.

Djerrkera was disappointing IMO.

He got a run on and yes on reflection it wasn't a bad game.

jazzadogs
18-06-2011, 01:06 AM
Schofield did well, never shirked can issue.
At this early stage
In Hall, Roughy and Vespa
Out DJ, Minson and Jones (the burden of being the only key fwd showed)
If the burden of being the only key forward showed, wouldn't it be better to leave Jones in with Hall so that he can experience NOT being the only key forward?

I'm not sure what the right mix will be, or how they will make it work, but I would prefer Jones to stay in with Hall.

LostDoggy
18-06-2011, 01:16 AM
If the burden of being the only key forward showed, wouldn't it be better to leave Jones in with Hall so that he can experience NOT being the only key forward?

I'm not sure what the right mix will be, or how they will make it work, but I would prefer Jones to stay in with Hall.

Completely agree. I'm not the Jones fan others seem to be but he is getting better at presenting, marking and making a contest. He needs 20000 set shots at practice. I wouldn't get him to do anything else except practice set shots for awhile. Regardless we need him in.

DJ, Libba (rest) out for Howard,Wallis
In Roughy for Minson as he adds more up forward

When is Lake going to get his shizen together.........:confused:

jazzadogs
18-06-2011, 01:22 AM
Completely agree. I'm not the Jones fan others seem to be but he is getting better at presenting, marking and making a contest. He needs 20000 set shots at practice. I wouldn't get him to do anything else except practice set shots for awhile. Regardless we need him in.

DJ, Libba (rest) out for Howard,Wallis
In Roughy for Minson as he adds more up forward

When is Lake going to get his shizen together.........:confused:
I think the main thing is that he's not just practicing set shots, but is being supervised and educated while he does it. There's no point practicing for 5 hours if your technique is still shoddy.

Film it, analyse it, pick it apart and reteach it bit by bit. Needs to improve or Liam will never become the player we want him to be.

The Bulldogs Bite
18-06-2011, 01:33 AM
Out: Gilbee, Djerrkura, Libba
In: Howard, Tutt, Veszpremi

bornadog
18-06-2011, 01:36 AM
Jones out for Hall, he needs to get some confidence in his kicking for goal. 3 dismal shots for goals that should he should be nailing more times than not.
t

Better watch what you say there YHF a few posters will be on to you;)

AndrewP6
18-06-2011, 01:47 AM
Providing players can get up, I'd have

In: Hall and Howard (pending Bazza's fitness, and Coon's too)
Out: Jones and DJ. Stating the bleeding obvious, Jones' goalkicking is just not good enough. I like DJ's endeavour, but he didn't excel tonight ;)

bornadog
18-06-2011, 01:48 AM
Providing players can get up, I'd have

In: Hall and Cooney (pending fitness)
Out: Jones and DJ. Stating the bleeding obvious, Jones' goalkicking is just not good enough. I like DJ's endeavour, but he didn't excel tonight ;)

How can you have Cooney as an in when he already is in?

AndrewP6
18-06-2011, 01:51 AM
How can you have Cooney as an in when he already is in?

Excellent point. Can I sledge myself?

G-Mo77
18-06-2011, 02:01 AM
I never can do this too early.

Under the pump would be Gilbee and DJ I also can't see the point in the Hudson/Minson combo. It's one or the other IMO. Roughead is a much better target up forward when resting.

Jones is a real worry, his kicking is getting worse. They moved him into defence late in the game which isn't a good sign still I'd rather take him over to the Gold Coast against weak opposition, hope that he can nail a few and gain some confidence in front of the sticks.

I don't know why people are calling for Libba. Had a defensive assignment tonight and did it well. I guess the gloss wears off when some new players come in. :)

Howard, Wallis, Hall, Roughead will all be in the mix to come in.

LostDoggy
18-06-2011, 02:49 AM
Minson, DJ. Out

Roughead, Howard. In

LostDoggy
18-06-2011, 03:20 AM
Howard in to cover Gilbee so he can go forward.

Roughy for mobility.

Cooney to stay Sub. Terrible size difference in legs!!!!
We will need him soon enough.

Leave Barry home, I would hate to see him break down and finish up on a probable hard
Queensland track. Again we will need him soon enough.

Whoever kidnapped the real Brian, Ok shows over youve had your fun, but we
need him back now ok. Ta.

Stay the Course Bulldogs.

chef
18-06-2011, 07:32 AM
Excellent point. Can I sledge myself?

No, but I'll do it for you...Derrrrrrrrr.

Lake would have to be an in if he can get through this week.

LostDoggy
18-06-2011, 08:57 AM
Was at the game and probably only make one change of Schofield. Really looked out of his depth and until half time did not touch it.

The Pie Man
18-06-2011, 09:33 AM
How do we think Cooney looked? Saw him hobble to the bench in the third that didn't look good. He played it out, but....

DJ will have to go back to the VFL, and I think Minson may perhaps follow

Will wait and see what the VFL form is before predicting any potential inclusions

LostDoggy
18-06-2011, 09:40 AM
We need some grunt up forward. Jones and Will aren't cutting it but I don't like the calls to drop Will. We should be making long term decisions.
Out: Hudson, DJ
In: Roughy and Ves/Baz/Grant/Lake whoever is in the best form and fitness.
Probably Howard for Gilbee too.

Desipura
18-06-2011, 09:55 AM

Fair call and did give it some thought. I just think Hudson and Minson combo does not work as neither can play fwd

stefoid
18-06-2011, 10:03 AM
Jones plays better away from goal - mobility.

Thought Minson was good. Contested well

bornadog
18-06-2011, 01:06 PM
Jones is a real worry, his kicking is getting worse. .

I said this weeks ago and you had a real go at me.

G-Mo77
18-06-2011, 01:08 PM
I said this weeks ago and you had a real go at me.

I had a go at you for bagging him for lack of disposal not quality.

bornadog
18-06-2011, 01:14 PM
I had a go at you for bagging him for lack of disposal not quality.

Which was completely unwarranted as that was my opinion.

I still think for his benefit and if Hall is fit, to drop him to Willi for a few weeks and let him get some confidence back, especially in his kicking.

G-Mo77
18-06-2011, 01:20 PM

Do you seriously want to go over this again? I'm happy to point you to my last response if you want to read that again.

I still think for his benefit and if Hall is fit, to drop him to Willi for a few weeks and let him get some confidence back, especially in his kicking.

Don't see the point to be honest. It seems to be in his head and I think dropping him will make it worse. We're against the Suns next week, perfect chance to take a few grabs and kick a few goals at AFL level and get his confidence back.

bornadog
18-06-2011, 01:21 PM
Do you seriously want to go over this again? I'm happy to point you to my last response if you want to read that again.

Don't see the point to be honest. It seems to be in his head and I think dropping him will make it worse. We're against the Suns next week, perfect chance to take a few grabs and kick a few goals at AFL level and get his confidence back.

Well lets agree to disagree on all fronts.

Desipura
18-06-2011, 01:21 PM
With Hall coming back, I can't see Hall, Jones, Minson and Hudson in the side.
For team balance Minson is replaced by Roughy. Jones has a week off to get some confidence in his kicking, as well as team balance. Suns are renowned for their run so we need to account for that.
Hope Vespa shows form today

bornadog
18-06-2011, 01:23 PM
For team balance Minson is replaced by Roughy

Desi I thought you like to look at the future. Huddo won't be there but Minson will be?

G-Mo77
18-06-2011, 01:24 PM
For team balance Minson is replaced by Roughy

Is Hall a certainty though? I'd rather leave him at home for another week. We'll beat the Suns without him.

LostDoggy
18-06-2011, 01:25 PM
In: Consistant Williamstown forward, Markovic

Out: DJ, Schofield

Desipura
18-06-2011, 01:25 PM
Is Hall a certainty though? I'd rather leave him at home for another week. We'll beat the Suns without him.

Eade indicated he will definitely play

LostDoggy
18-06-2011, 01:27 PM
No change. Let's try to get a settled lineup for a change.

As for DJ, he works hard, gets to tackles and contests others might not, presents well. He is doing a lot of hard work to create opportunities. That should be taken into consideration when deciding to pot him....

His disposal can be sloppy and he gets himself into wrong positions. He fumbles...not a clean handler under pressure.....but that is not to say he can't become much better. The pace of the game is ahead of him and he has to learn where to be, how to react. I would be giving him several weeks in a row to see if he learns what needs to be learnt. For only by making mistakes can he improve. Practice at the top level is what is needed for this young man to fine tune his skills and master the game plan....then assess what can be taught and practised, if necessary, at Willi.

Rocco Jones
18-06-2011, 01:47 PM
Hard to make definitive calls on the ins before Willy play but here are some of my general thoughts...

- I think Eade and co have done a great job of injecting youth. We probably got to the stage of playing too many kids against the Saints but I think GC provide us with the perfect opportunity to 'play kids'.

- Hudson and Minson: I feel for Will. Because he is slightly less of a liability forward, he has to play in a role that really doesn't suit him. For that reason and age difference, I would prefer us to drop Hudson but one of them has to go. Great opportunity to play Roughead against some younger opponents if he gets through the Willy game.

- Hall: I would not risk him making the trip up to Queensland then having to play 6 days later coming off another injury. I'd like to see him stay home and play for Willy. When he does come back in I think we should go with Barlow as our 2nd ruck (unless Roughead rips it up).

- Jones: I really like the kid but I agree with what a lot of posters have to say about going back to Willy for confidence reasons. I would keep him in for one more week due to playing GC and wanting to rest Hall but after that I think he should have a decent spell at Willy (unless he absolutely tears GC apart of course).

- Lake: Another one I wouldn't 'risk'. Let him get some form at VFL level first.

- Libba: I don't think he struggled to the extent that a few others did. I thought he did a decent defensive job and would keep him in. I totally understand if he needs a rest though.

- DJ and Gilbee: I really do think we can't just get rid of every senior body but these guys offer us so very little atm.

- Vez, Wallis, Grant (just want intensity), Howard: Wait and see what they do at Willy.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A stab at it...

IN/ Roughead, Vez/Grant, Wallis/Howard
OUT/ Hudson, DJ, Gilbee

Desipura
18-06-2011, 01:49 PM
Desi I thought you like to look at the future. Huddo won't be there but Minson will be?

Nice work, I do not think either player has a long term future with us.
I'm guessing what the selections will be, not who I would necessarily select.
If it was my choice Gilbee would not be playing and if Hall gets injured from here on end, I would not even try to get him back in the side.

bornadog
18-06-2011, 01:50 PM
Nice work, I do not think either player has a long term future with us.
I'm guessing what the selections will be, not what I would necessarily select

hehehe nice out:D

Mantis
18-06-2011, 01:54 PM

Has Jones ever had confidence in his kicking?

LostDoggy
18-06-2011, 02:55 PM
Hard to make definitive calls on the ins before Willy play but here are some of my general thoughts...

- DJ and Gilbee: I really do think we can't just get rid of every senior body but these guys offer us so very little atm.

- Vez, Wallis, Grant (just want intensity), Howard: Wait and see what they do at Willy.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A stab at it...

IN/ Roughead, Vez/Grant, Wallis/Howard
OUT/ Hudson, DJ, Gilbee

The guy needs 3 more weeks in the magoos. He's looked complacent all year and I've hated what I've heard him say when interviewed. We've given him heaps of time and he needs to deliver several weeks of tackling, pressure and marking consistency before I want to see him anywhere near the ones. We miss :) grant badly, but :mad: lazy grant needs a long wake-up call. Bad doggie get down!

Rocco Jones
18-06-2011, 02:58 PM
The guy needs 3 more weeks in the magoos. He's looked complacent all year and I've hated what I've heard him say when interviewed. We've given him heaps of time and he needs to deliver several weeks of tackling, pressure and marking consistency before I want to see him anywhere near the ones. We miss :) grant badly, but :mad: lazy grant needs a long wake-up call. Bad doggie get down!

I totally agree. I was against bringing him back in against the Cats. I would only bring him in if he works his arse off for Willy, forget about the talent he shows. I just would bring him in asap once he demonstrates intensity as we need his type.

bornadog
18-06-2011, 03:15 PM

don't know you tell me.

lemmon
18-06-2011, 03:23 PM
Wasnt sure where to post this but heard on MMM last night pre game Garry was questioning why we weren't playing at least one of Cordy or Rough, he didnt have a clue about injuries, development etc which was disappointing but Damien Barrett pulled out a little gem and seemed quite firm on it that 'we've never rated Roughead' and even 'tried to trade him last year'. Seemed ridiculous on hearing it and it sounds like hes got his wires crossed, any idea what hes on about?

bornadog
18-06-2011, 03:31 PM
Wasnt sure where to post this but heard on MMM last night pre game Garry was questioning why we weren't playing at least one of Cordy or Rough, he didnt have a clue about injuries, development etc which was disappointing but Damien Barrett pulled out a little gem and seemed quite firm on it that 'we've never rated Roughead' and even 'tried to trade him last year'. Seemed ridiculous on hearing it and it sounds like hes got his wires crossed, any idea what hes on about?

Barrett does not have a clue.

lemmon
18-06-2011, 03:34 PM
Barrett does not have a clue.

Yep, Lyon annoyed me with his lack of dogs knowledge as well, at one point pre-game he derided Griff for stagnating and going backwards this year and even had a snide remark about our medicos when Doc Larkins mentioned that both Cordy and Rough have been injured

comrade
18-06-2011, 03:47 PM
Yep, Lyon annoyed me with his lack of dogs knowledge as well, at one point pre-game he derided Griff for stagnating and going backwards this year

FFS, are you serious?

How do these blokes still have a job?

stefoid
18-06-2011, 04:30 PM

He must have been thinking of someone else, who though I cant fathom. Everitt maybe. 'tried' to trade him fairly successfully.

We wouldnt have had to try very hard to trade Roughhead, we would have been beating off buyers with as tick. Notably hawthorn.

lemmon
18-06-2011, 04:36 PM
FFS, are you serious?

How do these blokes still have a job?

Yep couldnt believe my ears, really got me up when Doc Larkins mentioned Cordy was injured, Garry said something about him being injured the whole three years and needing to have a look a the medical staff, was ridiculous.

I thought Barrett must have been talking about Minson but he was definite on us never rating and trying to trade Roughy, no clue.

Mantis
18-06-2011, 10:53 PM
don't know you tell me.

You want him to be demoted to get confidence back in his kicking, but you don't know if he ever had it in the first place. :confused:

LostDoggy
18-06-2011, 11:03 PM
Over heard Cordy today saying he will be back playing next week.

In: Ves, Reid
Out: DJ, Picken

I think with what Markovic showed today, he should be playing in the seniors, i thought he had a superb game for Willy.

But, which tall do you drop to bring him in?

LostDoggy
18-06-2011, 11:49 PM
Picken out? I thought he combined with Morris to do a number on dangerfield

LostDoggy
18-06-2011, 11:58 PM
Picken out? I thought he combined with Morris to do a number on dangerfield

I don't think he has played well for a few weeks now & his turnovers last night were shocking, i don't think he has been using the ball that well recently, a stint at Willy to get some touch back would be good for him.

Ghost Dog
19-06-2011, 12:37 AM

how old when he started playing afl ?

ledge
19-06-2011, 12:46 AM
I don't think he has played well for a few weeks now & his turnovers last night were shocking, i don't think he has been using the ball that well recently, a stint at Willy to get some touch back would be good for him.

I tend to agree his ball use wasnt the best last night but wouldnt drop him, he is our only true tagger and his job doing that out weighs his errors.
If we want to talk ball delivery errors , our captain is atrocious at times and being in the midfield his errors are multiplied twofold.

Scorlibo
19-06-2011, 12:57 AM

I agree, he gets far too much love on this forum for 'trying hard'. He was a major culprit of turning the ball over with a few blind kicks. I'm not sure I would drop him just yet, but he certainly isn't the player a lot on here think he is.

AndrewP6
19-06-2011, 02:12 AM
how old when he started playing afl ?

He was 15

LongWait
19-06-2011, 11:07 AM

How do you know that dropping Jones will restore his confidence?

I think that players react differently to being dropped to regain confidence - some take it well and others take a long time to recover and actually have their confidence further eroded by being dropped.

bornadog
19-06-2011, 01:56 PM
How do you know that dropping Jones will restore his confidence?

I don't know but if he continues the way he is playing, like any player should be dropped.

Hotdog60
19-06-2011, 03:22 PM
My ins are Vespremi and I'm not sold on Djerrkura so he's out.
I also thinking of Mulligan back in if fit as a match up for Tom Lynch who is also 199cm so Schofield is out for that reason.

Jones stays and Hall comes back against Melbourne.

Mofra
19-06-2011, 03:39 PM
I tend to agree his ball use wasnt the best last night but wouldnt drop him, he is our only true tagger and his job doing that out weighs his errors.
If we want to talk ball delivery errors , our captain is atrocious at times and being in the midfield his errors are multiplied twofold.
He's been playing as a lockdown defender, not a backman.
I was unhappy with his game last week, but Picken is a guy I'd try in a different position before dropping him - he would respond to a challenge.

He's actually quite a good goalsneak, has pace and a defensive mindset - I'd rather put him forward and lock down Harbrow rather than put him back to Willy.

At this stage I'd drop one of Hudson or Minson for Roughy, and play Jones up the ground. Howard in for Dkerkurra, as Picken going forward leaves a defensive spot open.

Out: Hudson, Djerkurra
In: Howard, Roughead

comrade
19-06-2011, 04:25 PM
I was unhappy with his game last week, but Picken is a guy I'd try in a different position before dropping him - he would respond to a challenge.

He's actually quite a good goalsneak, has pace and a defensive mindset - I'd rather put him forward and lock down Harbrow rather than put him back to Willy.

At this stage I'd drop one of Hudson or Minson for Roughy, and play Jones up the ground. Howard in for Dkerkurra, as Picken going forward leaves a defensive spot open.

Out: Hudson, Djerkurra
In: Howard, Roughead

Those changes make sense to me and I like the idea of Picko harassing opposition defenders in our forward line.

Rocket has prepared to throw guys in different spots this year, so we may just see it.

LongWait
19-06-2011, 04:34 PM
I don't know but if he continues the way he is playing, like any player should be dropped.

Well now you've changed your argument from 'drop him to regain confidence in his kicking' to 'drop him because he's playing poorly'. They are two completely different propositions.

LostDoggy
19-06-2011, 04:41 PM
Can anyone shed some light on why Veszpremi isn't getting a game? Obviously he was injured at some point...but if we have played Skinner already i'm perplexed we haven't played Ves.
We are winning a lot of ball and on friday night there were some good signs going forward with our ball use. If Jones had kicked straight it would have been a big win. We just need another natural forward alongside Gia who can take a mark and kick a goal.

LostDoggy
19-06-2011, 06:14 PM
Cant believe talk about dropping Picken... if we had 22 of him we wouldnt lose a game

LostDoggy
19-06-2011, 07:06 PM
Well now you've changed your argument from 'drop him to regain confidence in his kicking' to 'drop him because he's playing poorly'. They are two completely different propositions.

Can't we drop him for both? He's not playing to his ability and some time in the two's will give him some confidence against weaker opposition yes? Having said this, I'd rather send him up forward initially. I also like the idea of a lock-down on harbrow that someone proposed.

LostDoggy
19-06-2011, 07:10 PM
Cant believe talk about dropping Picken... if we had 22 of him we wouldnt lose a game

Get real.

LostDoggy
19-06-2011, 07:12 PM

Probably a fair call to be honest, i have actually liked Picken when given a job in the forward line. We have seen Higgins go back in recent weeks, maybe sending Picken up forward would be a better option, instead of shipping him off the Williamstown.

Has merit.

LostDoggy
19-06-2011, 07:22 PM
Can anyone shed some light on why Veszpremi isn't getting a game? Obviously he was injured at some point...but if we have played Skinner already i'm perplexed we haven't played Ves.

Young Veszpremi is getting back on track from his finger injury , on the weekend with Williamstown you could see that he had much more confidence with his marking , he wasn't on fire but he was solid , if he backs that up with another solid hit out with Willi he could be in line for a call up , I don't think we will use him against GCS he could be exposed by being rotated on with a small quick and GCS have a few

bornadog
19-06-2011, 07:30 PM

Give it up, honestly do you want to pick on every word I write. If you go from the seniors to Willi it means your dropped.

We don't want to kill the kid, he is a long term prospect and at the moment he is lacking confidence in his kicking and in particular set shots. He is not even getting much of the ball and was smashed on the weekend by Otten.

Sockeye Salmon
19-06-2011, 10:55 PM

Who'd ruck?

Ozza
20-06-2011, 10:17 AM
Talk of Picken being dropped is ridiculous. Apart from Vince kicking a good snap goal early in the game - he had no influence.

I've been backing up Djerrkerra a bit due to him having some pace and hardness - but I've run out of DJ tickets after Friday. He has to go. Can not believe he was given a 3 year contract on the back of 4 games in 3 years for Geelong. He is a long way off.

LostDoggy
20-06-2011, 03:08 PM
As YHF said, it may be time for Jones to have a rest for Hall, however there'd barely be a better game for him to get confidence in though...

Libba - Blew up early in the game - Reid
DJ - various reasons that should all be apparent from the game - Vez
Gilbee - Let Howard run around against the lesser names
Huddo - Roughy and Minson tandem

LostDoggy
20-06-2011, 04:17 PM
Who'd ruck?

I think if you look into the sentiment here, he is really saying:

"If all of our 22 put in the effort that Picken does, we would do very well."

Sockeye Salmon
20-06-2011, 04:38 PM

I get it, my point is effort alone is not enough.

LongWait
20-06-2011, 04:48 PM
Give it up, honestly do you want to pick on every word I write. If you go from the seniors to Willi it means your dropped.

We don't want to kill the kid, he is a long term prospect and at the moment he is lacking confidence in his kicking and in particular set shots. He is not even getting much of the ball and was smashed on the weekend by Otten.

I thought it was you who felt it your role to challenge anyone who made an assertion without backing it up?

You make dozens of posts a day, so I hardly read through all of them, much less challenge you on them all. I asked you a straightfoward question and in reply you got defensive and then changed your position. I won't be bullied by you bornadog, nor am I out to get you in any way. You regularly challenge others and ask questions but get upset when someone does the same to you.

bornadog
20-06-2011, 05:15 PM
I thought it was you who felt it your role to challenge anyone who made an assertion without backing it up?

You make dozens of posts a day, so I hardly read through all of them, much less challenge you on them all. I asked you a straightfoward question and in reply you got defensive and then changed your position. I won't be bullied by you bornadog, nor am I out to get you in any way. You regularly challenge others and ask questions but get upset when someone does the same to you.

No one is bullying and happy to be challenged but you are playing with my words.

I have not changed my position, which is Jones needs to be dropped, demoted sent back to Willi (whatever way you want to describe it), in order to gain some confidence in not only his kicking but as well as get his hands on the ball. He has hardly touched the ball in the last month with 5, disposals, 4 disposals, 12 and 7 in the last 4 games and even when we thumped Richmond and kicked 23 goals he touched the ball 10 times and only one goal assist.

Don't get me wrong, I think he will be a future star, but at 20 years old we need to look after him.

Greystache
20-06-2011, 06:00 PM
I have not changed my position, which is Jones needs to be dropped, demoted sent back to Willi (whatever way you want to describe it), in order to gain some confidence in not only his kicking but as well as get his hands on the ball. He has hardly touched the ball in the last month with 5, disposals, 4 disposals, 12 and 7 in the last 4 games and even when we thumped Richmond and kicked 23 goals he touched the ball 10 times and only one goal assist.

Don't get me wrong, I think he will be a future star, but at 20 years old we need to look after him.

While his stats weren't high on the weekend his importance to our structure far outweighed his numbers. Adelaide were routinely double teaming him, which allowed players like Gia to find space inside 50m, and unlike when Hall is in the team, rather than bombing to an outnumbered forward, we instead actually looked for other targets.

G-Mo77
20-06-2011, 06:08 PM
While his stats weren't high on the weekend his importance to our structure far outweighed his numbers. Adelaide were routinely double teaming him, which allowed players like Gia to find space inside 50m, and unlike when Hall is in the team, rather than bombing to an outnumbered forward, we instead actually looked for other targets.

One thing I was impressed with after the Saints game was his ability to not only draw a double team but actually hold position and bring the ball to ground. You see a lot of players get worked out of position while a second defender comes in and takes a mark or clears the area. I usually sit on the wing in home games but was right behind the goals in the Saints game so I got a good perspective on those contests.

bornadog
20-06-2011, 06:14 PM

He also needs to make the most of his opportunities. In the Collingwood mntch, he missed two gettable goals after which we capitulated. Who knows what would have happened if we kicked those goals and lead by 12 points in the last quarter. Also missed goals versus the Saints and cost us a goal when he missed an easy chest mark in front of goal and the Saints took it all the way down and kicked a goal. Missed two easy ones on Friday as well.

As I said, not trying to pick on him, just needs alot of work on goal kicking and maybe a stint at Willi will help him gain the confidence he is lacking.

Maybe if Hall plays this week, it will take some pressure off him as well, who knows.

Greystache
20-06-2011, 06:25 PM
He also needs to make the most of his opportunities. In the Collingwood mntch, he missed two gettable goals after which we capitulated. Who knows what would have happened if we kicked those goals and lead by 12 points in the last quarter. Also missed goals versus the Saints and cost us a goal when he missed an easy chest mark in front of goal and the Saints took it all the way down and kicked a goal. Missed two easy ones on Friday as well.

As I said, not trying to pick on him, just needs alot of work on goal kicking and maybe a stint at Willi will help him gain the confidence he is lacking.

Maybe if Hall plays this week, it will take some pressure off him as well, who knows.

Work on his goal kicking is a given, he acknowledged as much on TAC Cup futurestars yesterday, but I don't think playing at windy suburban grounds is going to do anything to help it.

Just on that easy chest mark he dropped, which has been mentioned on here more than any one off mistake I can remember, he had Easton Wood running back with the flight which clearly distracted him.

GVGjr
20-06-2011, 07:47 PM
Work on his goal kicking is a given, he acknowledged as much on TAC Cup futurestars yesterday, but I don't think playing at windy suburban grounds is going to do anything to help it.

I think the big benefit though is that he is likely to get more of the ball and goal kicking under match conditions should be the best for him.

He was impressive with that interview and I believe with the right coaching he can improve his kicking for goal

1eyedog
20-06-2011, 08:49 PM
Don't know about injuries (other than Lake's eye) but I would have

INS: Hall

Outs: DJ

Sub: schofield(sp?)

1eyedog
20-06-2011, 08:52 PM
No change. Let's try to get a settled lineup for a change.

As for DJ, he works hard, gets to tackles and contests others might not, presents well. He is doing a lot of hard work to create opportunities. That should be taken into consideration when deciding to pot him....

His disposal can be sloppy and he gets himself into wrong positions. He fumbles...not a clean handler under pressure.....but that is not to say he can't become much better. The pace of the game is ahead of him and he has to learn where to be, how to react. I would be giving him several weeks in a row to see if he learns what needs to be learnt. For only by making mistakes can he improve. Practice at the top level is what is needed for this young man to fine tune his skills and master the game plan....then assess what can be taught and practised, if necessary, at Willi.

Jesus could it be any worse? Sounds like he should go to the DVFL.

LostDoggy
20-06-2011, 08:54 PM

Thanks at least some get it

DragzLS1
21-06-2011, 02:36 AM
If people are dead set talking about dropping Picken they need to waik up to themselves, are you trying to loose? If theres anybody you can rely on to stay on a man, chase and put there body on the line Picken is my first pick.

always right
21-06-2011, 09:28 AM
Amazing that the same people who regularly pot Stack, Grant and Hill for perceived lack of effort are calling for Picken to be dropped. Sure he has the odd poor game (who doesn't?) but it's not as if he is in a trough of bad form. The thing about Picken is you never leave a game wondering if he has given it everything. With his sort of commitment you know that a return to form is only ever one or two weeks away.

bulldogsthru&thru
21-06-2011, 09:48 AM
If people are dead set talking about dropping Picken they need to waik up to themselves, are you trying to loose? If theres anybody you can rely on to stay on a man, chase and put there body on the line Picken is my first pick.

+1

ridiculous to call for him to be dropped. Players like Picken are exactly what we have been missing this season. the ability to give 110% at every contest, put pressure on and play with high intensity. The bloke gives everything he has and we need more of that from a lot of our players. More ridiculous than calls for Boyd to be dropped

1eyedog
21-06-2011, 10:48 AM
Picken is one of the first picked. Will be again this week.

LostDoggy
21-06-2011, 01:50 PM
Thanks at least some get it

No problem, Picko is as gutsy as $#%@!

Sedat
21-06-2011, 01:55 PM
I've missed the last couple of weeks, and whilst the calls for Picken to be dropped are bordering on absurd, he hasn't had a great season by the standards he has set for himself in 2009 and 2010. Having said that, he's still very much a starting 18 player and a very important part of our team for mine.

Sounds like I haven't missed too much in relation to DJ in the last 2 weeks - clearly Fantasia saw some gold in him that pretty much the rest of the football community could not see. At least Willy will have a good quality VFL player in their team for the next 2 and a half seasons :rolleyes:

LostDoggy
21-06-2011, 02:34 PM
Thought Picken was really poor in the Richmond game and other around that time. I thought he was good against Adelaide.

aker39
21-06-2011, 03:35 PM
The club is having to fly up a day earlier due to volcanic ash.

bulldogsthru&thru
21-06-2011, 03:41 PM

could be good for the boys to get a bit of sun and have a bit of fun. I remember in 09 what the extra day did when we went to Brisbane. Went on a roll after that game

Murphy'sLore
21-06-2011, 04:03 PM

They've already gone. They were told to get out to the airport this morning within the hour or they couldn't be guaranteed a flight.

aker39
21-06-2011, 04:09 PM
They've already gone. They were told to get out to the airport this morning within the hour or they couldn't be guaranteed a flight.

Yes, a day earlier. They were meant to fly tomorrow.

Murphy'sLore
21-06-2011, 04:18 PM
Oh, were they? Okay then. :o

BulldogBelle
21-06-2011, 04:47 PM
Oh, were they? Okay then. :o

Big Bad Bruising Bustling Barry the Bulldog is part of the squad...

Hope his ankle is 110% and the Metricon ground surface isnt too hard...

DragzLS1
21-06-2011, 05:55 PM
Big baz, hope he performs can't wait to see him at full tilt! Gets 5 and kickstarts his season

always right
21-06-2011, 06:04 PM
+1

ridiculous to call for him to be dropped. Players like Picken are exactly what we have been missing this season. the ability to give 110% at every contest, put pressure on and play with high intensity. The bloke gives everything he has and we need more of that from a lot of our players. More ridiculous than calls for Boyd to be dropped

No offence but one of my most loathed phrases. I'd be happy if our players only gave 100%.
Alternatively if Picken gives 110% why can't he give 120%?

LostDoggy
21-06-2011, 06:45 PM
Any news on who the 24 were that caught the plane today apart from Barry being one of the extras?

bulldogsthru&thru
21-06-2011, 06:58 PM
No offence but one of my most loathed phrases. I'd be happy if our players only gave 100%.
Alternatively if Picken gives 110% why can't he give 120%?

Fair call but it just needs to be highlighted as to the effort this guy gives. I mean id say Griff gave 100% on friday night but watching Picken give his all with all the extra effort in the little 1%ers such as that smother in the 1st.

LostDoggy
21-06-2011, 09:08 PM
Dream line-up round 14

BACKS 29. Easton Wood 37. Lukas Markovic 38. Dale Morris

HBACKS 4. Daniel Cross 12. Tom Williams 2. Robert Murphy

CENTRE 16. Ryan Griffen 5. Matthew Boyd 14. Callan Ward

HFORWD 10. Justin Sherman 23. Jordan Roughead 7. Shaun Higgins

FWD 13. Daniel Giansiracusa 19. Liam Jones 42. Liam Picken

FOLL 27. Will Minson 17. Adam Cooney 21. Tom Liberatore

INT 43. Ed Barlow 40. Luke Dahlhaus 22. Dylan Addison

SUB: 28. Barry Hall to ease the big fella back

Sockeye Salmon
21-06-2011, 09:46 PM
Dream line-up round 14

BACKS 29. Easton Wood 37. Lukas Markovic 38. Dale Morris

HBACKS 4. Daniel Cross 12. Tom Williams 2. Robert Murphy

CENTRE 16. Ryan Griffen 5. Matthew Boyd 14. Callan Ward

HFORWD 10. Justin Sherman 23. Jordan Roughead 7. Shaun Higgins

FWD 13. Daniel Giansiracusa 19. Liam Jones 42. Liam Picken

FOLL 27. Will Minson 17. Adam Cooney 21. Tom Liberatore

INT 43. Ed Barlow 40. Luke Dahlhaus 22. Dylan Addison

SUB: 28. Barry Hall to ease the big fella back

Didn't like Schofield's game?

LostDoggy
21-06-2011, 11:08 PM
Didn't like Schofield's game?

Thought he was great in the second half and I loved his spirit but I can't find room for him down back. Cross got squeezed so Schofield got squeezed..

chef
22-06-2011, 08:37 AM
Thought he was great in the second half and I loved his spirit but I can't find room for him down back. Cross got squeezed so Schofield got squeezed..

I don't like Cross being on a HBF.

LostDoggy
22-06-2011, 11:31 AM
Thought Picken was really poor in the Richmond game and other around that time. I thought he was good against Adelaide.

What parts of his game were poor in your opinion? Effort?, Intensity? Tackling? Disposal? Running? Positioning? Are you saying poor relative to Picken standards or in general?

Sometimes his disposal lets him down, probably due to the situations when he gets the pill but he seems to be in the right places often to affect the play or at put pressure on.

There has been a few times this year where his tackles didn't stick, which is one of his strengths.

I would prefer him as a defensive forward on a running, creating defender as he can nullify and can kick a goal.

soupman
22-06-2011, 12:23 PM
Based on the photos of the squad leaving the airport the squad includes:

Howard, Schofield, Hall, Reid, Dahlhaus, Jones, Markovic, Cooney, Picken, Ward, Liberatore, Eade, Blonde Lady

bulldogsthru&thru
22-06-2011, 12:32 PM

Howard, Schofield, Hall, Reid, Dahlhaus, Jones, Markovic, Cooney, Picken, Ward, Liberatore, Eade, Blonde Lady

Interesting additions of Reid and Markovic in the 24 as well as Hall...So adding that to last weeks squad we have 25 so looks like one change. Mostt likely Hall in.......DJ out?

Could even be Blonde Lady in, DJ out

soupman
22-06-2011, 12:35 PM
Interesting additions of Reid and Markovic in the 24 as well as Hall...So adding that to last weeks squad we have 25 so looks like one change. Mostt likely Hall in.......DJ out?

Apparently only 24 went up so thats a minimum of two changes.

comrade
22-06-2011, 12:43 PM
Apparently only 24 went up so thats a minimum of two changes.

Plus Howard.

soupman
22-06-2011, 12:46 PM
Plus Howard.

I don't get it. We have at least 4 players up there who didn't play last week, and with a squad of 24 that means there has to be a minimum of 2 changes.

DragzLS1
22-06-2011, 12:54 PM

Lmaooo blonde lady in, dj out

The Coon Dog
22-06-2011, 12:58 PM

I know it might sound a little harsh, but last week you could DJ was bereft of confidence, so much so I thought they may have subbed him at half time. Anyhow if the blonde lady is an in I guess she couldn't do any worse. ;)

Desipura
22-06-2011, 01:33 PM
I know it might sound a little harsh, but last week you could DJ was bereft of confidence, so much so I thought they may have subbed him at half time. Anyhow if the blonde lady is an in I guess she couldn't do any worse. ;)

You were right, it was harsh.

choconmientay
22-06-2011, 01:35 PM

Heeheh, I like the Sunday HS heading on the first page .. "Bulldogs resorts to one of the oldest trick and played a BLONDE lady up forward and won the game with ease against the GCFC"

bulldogsthru&thru
22-06-2011, 02:41 PM
Plus Howard.

oh yeah. so 2 changes.

My guess (hope):

IN: Hall, Howard
OUT: DJ, Gilbee

I thought Gilbe was average against the Crows. His disposal was shocking but though effort was there. Unfortunately if that is the case we are better of playing the younger Howard.

EasternWest
22-06-2011, 02:55 PM

That was Barlow. ;)

LostDoggy
22-06-2011, 03:37 PM
What parts of his game were poor in your opinion? Effort?, Intensity? Tackling? Disposal? Running? Positioning? Are you saying poor relative to Picken standards or in general?

Against Richmond I thought his man got the better of him, think it was Cotchin. Let too many tackles slip.

Sockeye Salmon
22-06-2011, 04:04 PM
oh yeah. so 2 changes.

My guess (hope):

IN: Hall, Howard
OUT: DJ, Gilbee

I thought Gilbe was average against the Crows. His disposal was shocking but though effort was there. Unfortunately if that is the case we are better of playing the younger Howard.

78% efficency with 4 clangers, 3 of which were frees against.

Gilbee had one shocker in the 3rd where he tried to go inside and it got cut off but other than that I thought his kicking was good.

ledge
22-06-2011, 04:08 PM
I though Blonde Lady meant Brian Lake because of initials.

Remi Moses
22-06-2011, 05:42 PM
I thought Gilbee was alright against the Crows.
Like to see Howard in the side, but I reckon it will be In Barry out Djkuerra

DragzLS1
22-06-2011, 06:19 PM
Want to see baz in again! Can't wait to watch this game if we get a good win could be a season changer and exactly what we need for confidence.

Ins Barry
Out dj

Maddog37
22-06-2011, 06:40 PM
Unfortunately I feel we are still quite brittle. Every game to me is a danger game unless we are going flat out.

We can no longer get by with our superior skills alone.

bornadog
22-06-2011, 07:07 PM
WESTERN BULLDOGS

Barry Hall should return this week but whether it's at AFL or VFL level is yet to be determined. Brian Lake will be assessed later in the week after severely scratching his eye while playing for Williamstown on Sunday. Zeph Skinner, Lukas Markovic and Sam Reid were in the best for the Seagulls in that game while Patrick Veszpremi kicked three goals, and Jarrad Grant and Jordan Roughead two apiece. Meanwhile, Adam Cooney took a step towards getting his season back on track on Friday night when he got through a quarter of the win over Adelaide after coming on as the substitute player.
- Jen Witham

Bumper Bulldogs
22-06-2011, 08:33 PM
OK I see us playing the attached against the GC,

B: Liam Picken, Lukas Markovic, Dale Morris
HB: Robert Murphy, Tom Williams, Easton Wood
C: Christian Howard, Matthew Boyd, Justin Sherman
HF: Shaun Higgins, Ed Barlow Callan Ward
F: Luke Dahlhaus, Jordan Roughead, Daniel Giansiracusa
Foll: William Minson, Ryan Griffen, Tom Liberatore
I/C: Daniel Cross, Adam Cooney, Jayden Schofield, Barry Hall as the Sub the first week back

Gilbee and Hudson make way for Rough & Howard, both add a little pace than the outs and I think it gives us a better option up forward with Jones out and BBB getting 1/2 a game, Roughy will be a better target than Minson, Hudson or jones at this point.

It's a must win game and we need a fit and firing side. Picken needs to get the Job done against a red hot Ablett for us to win.

LostDoggy
22-06-2011, 08:46 PM
Add Roughead and Barry (would be one of slowest at the club) how does that add pace?

LostDoggy
22-06-2011, 09:07 PM
Apparently we took 24 players to the Gold Coast. Would be interested to know who went and who didnt.

Bumper Bulldogs
22-06-2011, 09:08 PM
Add Roughead and Barry (would be one of slowest at the club) how does that add pace?

Roughy is as quick as Huddo, but gives a more powerful forward option,

Hall not a quick or young as jones but gives us the presence which i though we lacked last week.

JohnGentStand
23-06-2011, 01:18 AM
outs DJ ( has anyone not omitted him?)
Schofield ( showed a bit but seriously not ready yet)
Jones ( not doing more than cheesy )

ins Hall
Markovic
Grant

seriously....DJ was bad, aweful, he needs to come a long way in a short time to be on the list next year.

AndrewP6
23-06-2011, 01:21 AM

ins Hall
Markovic
Grant

seriously....DJ was bad, aweful, he needs to come a long way in a short time to be on the list next year.

Unless we can pull a swifty of epic proportions, he's contracted for 3 years... can't see anyone taking him.

LostDoggy
23-06-2011, 09:07 AM
We can no longer get by with our superior skills alone. Which ones are these now?

LostDoggy
23-06-2011, 12:00 PM
Sam Reid as sub maybe. Go Sammy!

soupman
23-06-2011, 12:22 PM

ins Hall
Markovic
Grant

Why swap Grant, who shows very little intensity recently and an inability to get involved, for Jones who while also sturggling to get a heap of it, has shown intensity and an ability to take strong marks up forward?

DragzLS1
23-06-2011, 12:39 PM
Jones over grant any day of the week.grant has to step up and show some of his class from last season

Mofra
23-06-2011, 01:06 PM
Unless we can pull a swifty of epic proportions, he's contracted for 3 years... can't see anyone taking him.
As disappinted as I am with Djek, he has received some of the worst delivery into the F50 I have seen at AFL level. A short guy, he continually gets the ball placed on top of his head, generally in the presence of two (taller) defenders.

Maddog37
23-06-2011, 04:00 PM
Which ones are these now?

That was my point......we are no longer that team.

LostDoggy
23-06-2011, 04:18 PM

Was just going to write this, still can't believe he got a 3 year deal.

Ghost Dog
23-06-2011, 06:21 PM
I heard he was watched for an entire season by our staff. As a result, despite his poor start, I back him in to turn it around. You'd have to back our recruiters, who have done more right than wrong.
He has the athletic ability, and maybe it's just a case of finding the right position.
Have faith.

AndrewP6
23-06-2011, 09:47 PM
As disappinted as I am with Djek, he has received some of the worst delivery into the F50 I have seen at AFL level. A short guy, he continually gets the ball placed on top of his head, generally in the presence of two (taller) defenders.

Don't disagree, he's not been helped that much by his mates upfield.

GVGjr
23-06-2011, 10:10 PM
Are we looking too tall if we bring in Hall?

Rocco Jones
23-06-2011, 10:16 PM
Are we looking too tall if we bring in Hall?

I really don't like Minson, Hudson, Jones and Hall in the same side. I also really don't like the idea of having a ruckman as a sub.

1eyedog
23-06-2011, 11:53 PM
WESTERN BULLDOGS

Barry Hall should return this week but whether it's at AFL or VFL level is yet to be determined. Brian Lake will be assessed later in the week after severely scratching his eye while playing for Williamstown on Sunday. Zeph Skinner, Lukas Markovic and Sam Reid were in the best for the Seagulls in that game while Patrick Veszpremi kicked three goals, and Jarrad Grant and Jordan Roughead two apiece. Meanwhile, Adam Cooney took a step towards getting his season back on track on Friday night when he got through a quarter of the win over Adelaide after coming on as the substitute player.
- Jen Witham

He flew up with the rest of the team. Would he fly back to play in the Magoos?

LostDoggy
24-06-2011, 12:20 AM
He flew up with the rest of the team. Would he fly back to play in the Magoos?

NO i doubt it

Mofra
24-06-2011, 10:13 AM
I really don't like Minson, Hudson, Jones and Hall in the same side. I also really don't like the idea of having a ruckman as a sub.
Hall & Jones can work - Minson & Hudson in the same team is a real worry.

I would have gone one ruckman and let a combo of Barlow (pref.)/Jones/Williams/Hall pinch hit where required.

Rocco Jones
24-06-2011, 06:47 PM

I would have gone one ruckman and let a combo of Barlow (pref.)/Jones/Williams/Hall pinch hit where required.

I agree that Hall and Jones can work, just that they exacerbate the Hudson and Minson problems.

Totally agree with your pinch hitting options.

LostDoggy
24-06-2011, 07:50 PM
More worried about Hall than anyone. Was horrible in his last match. Hudson next.

jeemak
25-06-2011, 12:16 AM

I can see the benefit of having players pinch hit in the ruck if their confidence is down or it's because we've subbed a ruckman off early in the second half or through injury. Though I think it's best to start off with two ruckmen. We need Roughead to hit form and put some pressure on for a spot, then we wouldn't have to worry about it.

Williams needs time as a responsible backman, without Lake and Morris taking the best two taller forwards. It seems to me the best way for him to develop, and this week our defense would be very short without him. Maybe Jones could have helped out down back in light of Hall being recalled if Williams was to give a hand in the ruck if we only played one ruckman. I guess I don't want Tom playing in the ruck.

I haven't seen Barlow ruck much (in fact I've not seen a great deal of him prior to the last fortnight), but I thought he did well last week floating across half forward.

Greystache
25-06-2011, 02:17 AM
I can see the benefit of having players pinch hit in the ruck if their confidence is down or it's because we've subbed a ruckman off early in the second half or through injury. Though I think it's best to start off with two ruckmen. We need Roughead to hit form and put some pressure on for a spot, then we wouldn't have to worry about it.

Williams needs time as a responsible backman, without Lake and Morris taking the best two taller forwards. It seems to me the best way for him to develop, and this week our defense would be very short without him. Maybe Jones could have helped out down back in light of Hall being recalled if Williams was to give a hand in the ruck if we only played one ruckman. I guess I don't want Tom playing in the ruck.

I haven't seen Barlow ruck much (in fact I've not seen a great deal of him prior to the last fortnight), but I thought he did well last week floating across half forward.

They need to be ready to play in the ruck though, if they haven't played there in their junior days or done a considerable amount of work at training it's a recipe for disaster. Not so much winning the tap outs, but being able to protect themselves at the ball ups. Tom Williams nearly got seriously hurt against Geelong because he couldn't protect himself.

Bumper Bulldogs
25-06-2011, 10:16 AM
They need to be ready to play in the ruck though, if they haven't played there in their junior days or done a considerable amount of work at training it's a recipe for disaster. Not so much winning the tap outs, but being able to protect themselves at the ball ups. Tom Williams nearly got seriously hurt against Geelong because he couldn't protect himself.

Yes really concerned about tom in the Ruck also, I would rather have Barlow or Jones as we couldn't afford for Tommy to go down with an injury. that would leave the back 6 total exposed for height. I'm sure that what the opposition looking for, the instruction would go out to the ruckmen just put the knee into the ribcage.