PDA

View Full Version : Do you want the '54 design as our main jumper?

Rocco Jones
19-06-2011, 08:52 PM
Sorry if this is an overload on the '54 jumper wagon but I just wanted to gauge support/lack of support for it on here.

No prizes for guessing my pick!

The Coon Dog
19-06-2011, 08:59 PM
Yup, sure do. Also popular a while back when we did another poll of sorts:

What's your favourite Bulldogs jumper? (http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=1264)

Rocco Jones
19-06-2011, 09:02 PM
Yup, sure do. Also popular a while back when we did another poll of sorts:

What's your favourite Bulldogs jumper? (http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=1264)

Great work Barry.

You're missing from our group! You would be an addition worth Stewie Dew's weight in gold!

LostDoggy
19-06-2011, 09:19 PM
We are 1-0 wearing the jumper. Keep on wearing it till we lose hehe

aker39
19-06-2011, 10:25 PM
Good work Rocco with Finey on SEN.

He certainly gave you a fair hearing and was very supportive.

Rocco Jones
19-06-2011, 10:46 PM
Good work Rocco with Finey on SEN.

He certainly gave you a fair hearing and was very supportive.

Hahaha, thanks! I was very nervous after being on hold for so long! Finey's a legend.

Cyberdoggie
20-06-2011, 12:51 PM
Hahaha, thanks! I was very nervous after being on hold for so long! Finey's a legend.

Were you on!

Awww spewing i missed it.

You'll have to tell me more next catchup.

westdog54
20-06-2011, 04:33 PM
Seems pretty emphatic.

I'm actually rather curious who the 5 are who voted no...

Greystache
20-06-2011, 04:52 PM
Seems pretty emphatic.

I'm actually rather curious who the 5 are who voted no...

I did, I find the old design rather dull, I also showed it to some non-bulldog supporters who unanimously voted for current design.

I also think the want to harp back to the glory days of the past from our hardcore supporter base is pointless, there was no glory back then and we should be a club that looks to the future to actually create some.

bornadog
20-06-2011, 05:06 PM
I did, I find the old design rather dull, I also showed it to some non-bulldog supporters who unanimously voted for current design.

I also think the want to harp back to the glory days of the past from our hardcore supporter base is pointless, there was no glory back then and we should be a club that looks to the future to actually create some.

Personally I don't think there are any glory days, but I voted for the old jumper because I hate robodog.

I would also like to see a completely new away jumper and even a seperate clash jumper that isnot dominated by white.

The Pie Man
20-06-2011, 06:44 PM
Personally I don't think there are any glory days, but I voted for the old jumper because I hate robodog.

I would also like to see a completely new away jumper and even a seperate clash jumper that isnot dominated by white.

Oooh pick the red one from the late late 1800's with the blue & white sash - that looked business

LostDoggy
20-06-2011, 07:02 PM
Oooh pick the red one from the late late 1800's with the blue & white sash - that looked business

http://www.fnwb.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/fnwb_jumper_1898.gif

LostDoggy
20-06-2011, 07:32 PM
Voted yes but don't like calling it the 54 jumper either. Any pre robodog jumper except the 96 away or pj stripes one is better.

GVGjr
20-06-2011, 07:41 PM
Voted yes but don't like calling it the 54 jumper either. Any pre robodog jumper except the 96 away or pj stripes one is better.

I agree that the 54 reference does it no favors.

1eyedog
20-06-2011, 08:41 PM
The 1980s jumper is my first preference and the 1950s jumper my second. There is no third preference.

AndrewP6
20-06-2011, 08:46 PM
Just don't know which way to go. I do like the stripes, as worn on Friday night, but then again I don't dislike the current jumper or Robodog. I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!

Drunken Bum
20-06-2011, 10:23 PM
Just don't know which way to go. I do like the stripes, as worn on Friday night, but then again I don't dislike the current jumper or Robodog. I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!

i think a better poll should include amount of dislike for the different jumpers as well. It seems to me that even the people who prefer robodog still like the older jumpers, whereas there seems to be a large amount of dislike for robodog, with people even going as far to say they prefer any of our older jumpers to robodog.
For me that is the heart of the issue, there are so many supporters who have a real issue with our jumper.

Just for the record i am in the anything but robodog camp, i don't like it at all, shit even if they just took robog off and left everything the same i would be jumping for joy, even though i prefer the older jumper.

The Pie Man
21-06-2011, 12:24 AM
http://www.fnwb.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/fnwb_jumper_1898.gif

How cool does this look?

The Adelaide Connection
21-06-2011, 01:12 AM

Spot on. No real point preaching to the converted, we want something that is attractive to those who are not already in love with the club and especially something appealing to kids (the next wave of supporters). Nostalgic designs don't cut the mustard. No matter how many votes you get you are forgetting a key point, you are already on board so it's not really about you.

AndrewP6
21-06-2011, 01:18 AM
How cool does this look?

Ummm...not very cool?....

LostDoggy
21-06-2011, 09:10 AM
Like some others, I really don't have a preference - sounds like fence sitting, but I actually like both!

Curly5
21-06-2011, 10:17 AM
I voted for the '54 design but I prefer the more stylish jumper worn last Friday night, with the narrower stripes. The wide stripes look a bit boofy and actually are not a flattering look for players, and I daresay would be less so on supporters. ;)

bornadog
21-06-2011, 10:19 AM
I voted for the '54 design but I prefer the more stylish jumper worn last Friday night, with the narrower stripes. The wide stripes look a bit boofy and actually are not a flattering look for players, and I daresay would be less so on supporters. ;)

Your not referring to the big stripes on big bellies look:D

Curly5
21-06-2011, 10:51 AM
Your not referring to the big stripes on big bellies look:D

Ahem. :o

The Pie Man
21-06-2011, 03:07 PM

Really? I'm way off then (maybe that's why it was only a single year effort :))

Anyone else reckon we could do some clash top business with the red top?

bornadog
21-06-2011, 03:11 PM

Could enhance slighlty to modernize a bit but could work

AndrewP6
21-06-2011, 06:15 PM

Sorry Pie Man, just doesn't work for me.

LostDoggy
21-06-2011, 06:50 PM
Spot on. No real point preaching to the converted, we want something that is attractive to those who are not already in love with the club and especially something appealing to kids (the next wave of supporters). Nostalgic designs don't cut the mustard. No matter how many votes you get you are forgetting a key point, you are already on board so it's not really about you.

Not sure that's true would have thought Kids like to able draw their teams jumpers.

GVGjr
21-06-2011, 06:51 PM
When you look at the results of the poll it looks like an absolute landslide however, the forum has 370 members and we also have about 180 people log on each day and yet we have only had 83 people cast a vote so far.

Is it a fair assumption that people just don't care about it?

Happy Days
21-06-2011, 06:58 PM
I voted for the old style jumper, but honestly, of all of the options, the 80's style jumper with the red shorts that we wore in the 2007 heritage round is my favourite.

Happy Days
21-06-2011, 07:00 PM
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e246/LeeARM/FootscrayVFAClashKitA.png

Found this on google, a modernised version of what The Pie Man is talking about.

SonofScray
21-06-2011, 07:10 PM

Agree. The sash reminds me of our wanker neighbours from over the Maribyrnong.

LostDoggy
21-06-2011, 07:45 PM
When you look at the results of the poll it looks like an absolute landslide however, the forum has 370 members and we also have about 180 people log on each day and yet we have only had 83 people cast a vote so far.

I dont think so. I mean yes of course no matter what the jumper people will stick fat.
Are you not a fan of the jumper change GVGjr? Roccos facebook page has grown extremely fast..I think 83 votes is a great return considering most people can't be bothered with online polls. Just got my rote email from Garlick, i'm sure others would have got one by now also. Sounds like he has received a lot of emails.

AndrewP6
21-06-2011, 07:49 PM

Probably in my case, yes. I'm not that fussed, to be honest. Change it, don't change it...not sure if that's the consensus with non-voters.

Maddog37
21-06-2011, 08:26 PM
I am fairly ambivelant about it but the young 9 year old Maddog likes the robodog.

chef
21-06-2011, 08:53 PM
I am fairly ambivelant about it but the young 9 year old Maddog likes the robodog.

This is why I voted to keep the current design(plus it looks fine IMO). Kids love it. We are the second most popular team at my son's Auskick group which is quite unbelievable and IMO it's because our jumper is the most appealing to children.

We should use the other version for just special occasions like Friday night. I must admit I do where a '54' jumper to every game I go to.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTP3Y_N68qSS3WCeV4ON39DMKdesX_QVuLr8WvmGkB _zCqRO4T1ZQ
Robodog looks good to me.

Rocco Jones
21-06-2011, 09:06 PM
I am not anti our current system and have no issiue with those who actually prefer it. I am just pro the 54 design.

With the club's support I am look to organise a petition before the Melbourne game to gauge support for the '54 jumper. Garlick has asked me to communicate with himself and our Communications Operations Manager to plan/organise the petition which is great. Simon has been fantastic.

I have an online petition set up. I am not saying the '54 has to be for everyone. I just believe that given the choice between the '54 design and our current design, the majority want the '54 jumper.

Please sign our online potential if you want the '54 jumper.

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/bulldogs-to-wear-54-jumper-on-permanent-basis/sign.html#se

Please email the link to as many fans as possible, it's not the most user friendly address!

GVGjr
21-06-2011, 10:31 PM
I dont think so. I mean yes of course no matter what the jumper people will stick fat.
Are you not a fan of the jumper change GVGjr? Roccos facebook page has grown extremely fast..I think 83 votes is a great return considering most people can't be bothered with online polls. Just got my rote email from Garlick, i'm sure others would have got one by now also. Sounds like he has received a lot of emails.

I'm pro the change but it's surprising that less than half the people who log on have even been bothered to vote when it takes bugger all effort.

The Pie Man
21-06-2011, 10:33 PM
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e246/LeeARM/FootscrayVFAClashKitA.png

Found this on google, a modernised version of what The Pie Man is talking about.

See now to me, this is just BUSINESS as a clash jumper.

Nice find Happy Days

The Pie Man
21-06-2011, 10:39 PM

Can confirm I received a reply from Simon this afternoon as well.

Respect

Rocco Jones
21-06-2011, 10:45 PM
To be it's not about how big the issue it is, it is about which jumper fans want. While the importance factor can be debated, what is clear to me is that the vast majority of fans would pick the 54' design over robodog if given a choice between the two.

Those it have to be an enormous issue to most fans to change? Can't the fact that most fans want a particular jumper be a great reason to give them that jumper?

SonofScray
21-06-2011, 10:55 PM
Its a non issue really, its just a jumper change. Just as they changed it to Robo Dog, or how they added the two white hoops, or changed the colour of the collar and so forth. A jumper change is not a big deal.

You can always change back.

azabob
21-06-2011, 10:57 PM
To be it's not about how big the issue it is, it is about which jumper fans want. While the importance factor can be debated, what is clear to me is that the vast majority of fans would pick the 54' design over robodog if given a choice between the two.

Those it have to be an enormous issue to most fans to change? Can't the fact that most fans want a particular jumper be a great reason to give them that jumper?

All due respect RJ but how can you say the vast majority of fans want the jumper changed? We have over 30 thousand members and as of earlier today well under 1 percent have favored the change.

Rocco Jones
21-06-2011, 11:35 PM
All due respect RJ but how can you say the vast majority of fans want the jumper changed? We have over 30 thousand members and as of earlier today well under 1 percent have favored the change.

I don't think I have had access to all 30k members yet. :)

Outside of under 8's, the majority of fans I know and the polls I have seen indicate the majority of our fans want the '54 jumper. The under 8's like robodog but they also would probably prefer a space ship with a dinosaur chasing it. :)

The facebook group is just a start, expecting 15k + followers is absurd. The FB was just to unite fans of it and organise us to take the next step. I did not start this group to attack the club or fans or the robodog. If at the end of the day, it's clear that fans don't want a club then I am more than happy to accept that. I just want to gauge the support for it.

Grantysghost
21-06-2011, 11:52 PM
For me the current jumper is the Western Bulldogs jumper. I love the 54 one, but i think we are building a sense of tradition with the design adopted in '97, its been a successful period since, and i hate chopping and changing things every 5 minutes. I have been going to games since 79 so i grew up with the 80's design which is my favorite personally but i now think long live Robodog!

azabob
22-06-2011, 07:39 AM
RJ I chose the starship design! In all seriousness good work. It will be interesting to see how much support you will need to at least have the issue seriously discussed at club level.

Desipura
22-06-2011, 07:51 AM

Outside of under 8's, the majority of fans I know and the polls I have seen indicate the majority of our fans want the '54 jumper. The under 8's like robodog but they also would probably prefer a space ship with a dinosaur chasing it. :)

The facebook group is just a start, expecting 15k + followers is absurd. The FB was just to unite fans of it and organise us to take the next step. I did not start this group to attack the club or fans or the robodog. If at the end of the day, it's clear that fans don't want a club then I am more than happy to accept that. I just want to gauge the support for it.

I heard you on SEN with David Schwartz and you came across well. When they asked you whether you were also looking at changing the name back to Footscray, you sort of dismissed the question (I don't think you heard the question).
I would have responded strongly that in no way are you looking at changing the name back, not too sure being linked to that group (not that you are) will help your cause.

chef
22-06-2011, 08:23 AM

Yet this is where we get all our new supporters/members from. I don't like the idea of changing something that works just for the sake of it and has helped us become more popular IMO.

LostDoggy
22-06-2011, 10:15 AM
Yet this is where we get all our new supporters/members from. I don't like the idea of changing something that works just for the sake of it and has helped us become more popular IMO.

Can the opposite be said?
Have many dropped off because of the lost of some old values such as the jumper?

I would have thought the most important factor in attracting new members is to seen on free to air at prime time and to be winning rather than whether there is a dog or not on the front of a jumper.

The robodog may have worked for a while but I think it has quickly become outdated because its hardly a timeless design.

Kelso @ Mt Eliza
22-06-2011, 12:59 PM
I much prefer the jumper worn against the crows (54 jumper) than the current.. be nice if it could change.. not likely though I would concede..

BulldogBelle
23-06-2011, 07:32 AM
I'm pro the change but it's surprising that less than half the people who log on have even been bothered to vote when it takes bugger all effort.

The Poll is invalid. Its just a shifty trick.

The poll should ask if you want the 54 jumper with options either "Yes" or "No".

What if a person wants neither the 54 version or the current version, how do they vote? Obviously there is no place for them to vote.

BulldogBelle
23-06-2011, 10:15 PM
We need to stop referring to the jumper as the 54 jumper, and brand it as our 'heritage' or 'simple' jumper

Given we wore a version of that jumper for the best part of 70 years

Dont want some comedian like John Elliott or Grant Thomas saying we are still trying to cling to our 'tragic' past

http://www.fnwb.com.au/heritage/jumpers

Rocco Jones
23-06-2011, 10:33 PM
We need to stop referring to the jumper as the 54 jumper, and brand it as our 'heritage' or 'simple' jumper

Given we wore a version of that jumper for the best part of 70 years

Dont want some comedian like John Elliott or Grant Thomas saying we are still trying to cling to our 'tragic' past

I partially agree but just speaking for myself, I don't call it the '54 design due to 1954 but because that is the best noun I can think of for it. We have a few 'heritage' jumpers and I am not sure 'simple' jumper gets it across either. If we actually get the design up I would be the first in queue wanting the '54 tag dropped. My preference is to just call it our jumper!

Also, I wouldn't be too worried but what idiots who would never want to help our club say about us. The strongest clubs don't give a shit about what haters have to say.

LostDoggy
23-06-2011, 11:11 PM
The Poll is invalid. Its just a shifty trick.

The poll should ask if you want the 54 jumper with options either "Yes" or "No".

What if a person wants neither the 54 version or the current version, how do they vote? Obviously there is no place for them to vote.

You are very shifty Rocco, You should be ashamed

Rocco Jones
23-06-2011, 11:16 PM

Haha, yep.

AndrewP6
24-06-2011, 01:27 AM

Could be time for an inquiry. Can we have a poll about the poll?:)

LostDoggy
26-06-2011, 08:24 PM
54 Jumper all the way.

Rocco Jones
26-06-2011, 10:26 PM
If you're one of the 91 who have voted for the '54 jumper, please join our facebook group (if you have fb) and sign our online petition. The links are in my signature.

Once again, this group isn't about extremists who are demanding change, it's just about fans who would simply rather we wear the '54 design over the robodog.

LostDoggy
26-06-2011, 11:24 PM
I hope we keep the “robo-dog” for our logo though, because as a logo it works wonders, marketing-wise, best sports logo I've seen in a long time.