PDA

View Full Version : How reliable is Mark Stevens @StevoHeraldSun?

LostDoggy
20-06-2011, 09:36 PM
Brian Lake will play this week. All-clear after eye scare, which sent him off early for Willy on Saturday. Sure to be VFL again ....

http://twitter.com/#!/StevoHeraldSun

ledge
20-06-2011, 09:38 PM
That was posted a lot earlier on the bulldog facebook page, so its true.

azabob
20-06-2011, 09:55 PM
http://twitter.com/#!/StevoHeraldSun

In answer to your question when its Bulldog related he is pretty much on the money.

Remi Moses
20-06-2011, 10:07 PM
He's a Doggie fan. Usually has the good oil

1eyedog
20-06-2011, 11:39 PM
Yes supports the dogs and reports on us pretty exclusively.

always right
21-06-2011, 09:24 AM
I've met Stevo and he's a good bloke and reliable journo. Doesn't go over the top and you can generally back what he says to be accurate. Unlike his colleague Robbo who is one of life's great self promoters. Buggered if I know how he gets so many gigs in the media.

LostDoggy
21-06-2011, 10:07 AM
I've met Stevo and he's a good bloke and reliable journo. Doesn't go over the top and you can generally back what he says to be accurate. Unlike his colleague Robbo who is one of life's great self promoters. Buggered if I know how he gets so many gigs in the media.

You answered your own question with your previous sentence.

always right
21-06-2011, 02:00 PM
You answered your own question with your previous sentence.

Good point

Twodogs
22-06-2011, 11:36 AM

Robbo's unbeleivable. Often when he's on SEN with Brereton and a caller rings in with a technical or tactical question about football he'll talk over Brereton and answer the question himself. I find it incredibly annoying because Brereton's thought on football are usually well thought out and interesting and worth listening to.

Robbo's got major tickets on himself, anybody would think he was the five time AFL premiership player and Dermott was the struggler from the Bendigo football league.

soupman
22-06-2011, 12:02 PM
Robbo's unbeleivable. Often when he's on SEN with Brereton and a caller rings in with a technical or tactical question about football he'll talk over Brereton and answer the question himself. I find it incredibly annoying because Brereton's thought on football are usually well thought out and interesting and worth listening to.

Robbo's got major tickets on himself, anybody would think he was the five time AFL premiership player and Dermott was the struggler from the Bendigo football league.

Sarcasm?

Greystache
22-06-2011, 12:18 PM

Agreed, that shits me too. Steve Quarterbrain does the same thing. Obviously they think hanging around with AFL players gives then some sort of qualification, like a PA who thinks they can do their bosses job.

comrade
22-06-2011, 12:44 PM
like a PA who thinks they can do their bosses job.

Make sure you double check your coffee. :)

Twodogs
22-06-2011, 02:41 PM
Sarcasm?

Not really. Dermie might be a lot of things but he's no slouch when it comes to summing up a game of football. He didnt play in five premierships by accident-he was a vital component in one of the best teams V/AFL football will ever see. He played CHF in those teams too-he had to sum up the play unfolding in front of him, gather the ball and turn it into a scoring opportunity whilst under immense phtsical pressure.

Like I said Dermie might be a bit if a dickhead but he could seriously play the game. Maybe as Footscray supporters we underrate him a bit because Peter Foster was one of the few centre half backs who had his measure and we never really saw him at his best?

Desipura
22-06-2011, 02:42 PM
Not really. Dermie might be a lot of things but he's no slouch when it comes to summing up a game of football. He didnt play in five premierships by accident-he was a vital component in one of the best teams V/AFL football will ever see. He played CHF in those teams too-he had to sum up the play unfolding in front of him, gather the ball and turn it into a scoring opportunity whilst under immense phtsical pressure.

Like I said Dermie might be a bit if a dickhead but he could seriously play the game. Maybe as Footscray supporters we underrate him a bit because Peter Foster was one of the few centre half backs who had his measure and we never really saw him at his best?
Agree about Dermie, a champion CHF at only 186cm tall!

Sedat
22-06-2011, 04:07 PM
Not really. Dermie might be a lot of things but he's no slouch when it comes to summing up a game of football.
Problem with Derm is that he takes the scenic route whenever articulating his thoughts. There's 95% pure waffle in amoungst the 5% insightful gems.

NoParkingOnMatchDays
22-06-2011, 05:09 PM
3 days to ask a simple question. Very very painful.

ledge
22-06-2011, 05:17 PM
3 days to ask a simple question. Very very painful.

If its the thread question your talking about it was answered 20 minutes after it was posted.;)

azabob
22-06-2011, 07:04 PM
Problem with Derm is that he takes the scenic route whenever articulating his thoughts. There's 95% pure waffle in amoungst the 5% insightful gems.

Perfect way to sum him up and many others!

Twodogs
23-06-2011, 11:26 PM

Yep, he certainly likes the sound of his own voice. At least he doesnt ask questions and then speak over the answer though. Robbo is a shocker for doing that.

bornadog
23-06-2011, 11:52 PM
Yep, he certainly likes the sound of his own voice. At least he doesnt ask questions and then speak over the answer though. Robbo is a shocker for doing that.

I hate Robbo, when you see him talk watch his lips they are turned down as if he has a chip on his shoulder and he is trying to prove he knows everything about football.. Although Dermie loves the sound of his own voice, I don't mind his commentary, it usually makes sense.

Twodogs
24-06-2011, 01:33 PM
I hate Robbo, when you see him talk watch his lips they are turned down as if he has a chip on his shoulder and he is trying to prove he knows everything about football..

It might be a Bendigo thing maybe?

Nathan Brown
Wayne Campbell
John Brumby.
My dear old dad.

Hmmm...

always right
24-06-2011, 06:07 PM

He managed to talk over Brereton?:eek:

One of the things I detest most about Brereton on SEN is the way he slowly and laboriously gives his opinion in a manner that makes it almost impossible for someone to interject. It's as if he believes everyone is hanging off his every word. He's exactly the same on the Sunday Footy Show.

jeemak
24-06-2011, 11:55 PM

He also purses his lips way too much for my liking.

Derm came to our football club to train prior to an EJ Whitten legends game one year. He was pretty good value, got into some banter in the rooms after the session and copped a lot for stealing and training in John Travolta's t-shirt (tight black number with cut off sleeves). You could tell by the way he moved he was something special in his playing days, even as a 40 (or so) year old. He gave some good tips out to our young KPF's on the night too.

His post session speech at Thursday night dinner was really strange though. I couldn't understand what he was trying to say because of his rampant verbosity. I think he started off by claiming that if he could play with us on the weekend at a competitive level he'd give away all his premierships to do so. Without any humour he whittled that down to one of his premierships, albeit reluctantly. I think he was trying to tell us to cherish the opportunity to play every weekend.

Fair play to him though, he just wanted to have a run around and probably wasn't in the mood to stand up in front of a group of smart arses on an ad-hoc basis.