PDA

View Full Version : Grant Thomas

always right
21-06-2011, 08:39 AM
I know, I know...the bloke hates us and I shouldn't let him get to me. Watched Footy Classified last night for the first time in a while (we won:)) and they discussed Rohan Smith being miked up as runner on Friday night.

Instead of it being purely a discussion over the role of runners in the AFL, Thomas couldn't resist having a crack at Smith's career, making some derisive comment about his lack of leadership and how it would have been great if he gave as much direction when he was playing. I'm paraphrasing to the best of my ability.

Just so unnecessary from a bloke who who was such an ordinary player and over-rated coach. It's as if this bloke enjoys being an absolute tool. Opens his mouth and his co-panellists....okay.....Carolyn Wilson fawn over him.

Don't expect any replies to this.....just felt like getting it off my chest. At least it reinforced why I shouldn't watch this show again.

Dancin' Douggy
21-06-2011, 08:49 AM
What a tool. Makes me sick.

bulldogsthru&thru
21-06-2011, 09:00 AM
The guy is a sad sad sack of you know what. He needs to bloody lighten up! I remember when the saints won the wizard cup and he ordered his players to be sad/not impressed. Its one thing to not over celebrate but its another to purposely look like a grumpy old man! He's a tool and i doubt a bum, let alone a legend like Bubba, would give two sh*ts about what he says. No respect for that man. Needs to have a good hard look at himself before potting others. I mean look at the list he had. Harvey, Hayes, Riewoldt, Goddard, Gherig, Hamill, Dal Santo, Milne, Hudghton, a fairly decent Kosi, Montagna. Still couuldn't get them past the prelims with a loaded list that included numerous high quality draft picks from crap years plus excellent senior players in Harvey, Hamil, Gherig etc. Lyon would have won a premiership with that list along with a number of other coaches.

bornadog
21-06-2011, 09:13 AM
He is one of the reasons I don't watch that show. In fact I don't like any one the Channel nine footy related shows , all the panelists are up themselves and think they are superior to panelists on other stations. (except Carro, who I don't mind - yeah I know:D)

Dancin' Douggy
21-06-2011, 09:42 AM
They all talk about footy as if they're at a funeral.
Or an autopsy.

1eyedog
21-06-2011, 09:47 AM
Hey who's played 300 games here?

OLD SCRAGGer
21-06-2011, 09:49 AM
Grant Thomas is nothing more that an over-rated TURD... :mad: Dislike that excuse for a human!!!!:mad:

Bulldog Revolution
21-06-2011, 10:01 AM
He is one of the reasons I don't watch that show. In fact I don't like any one the Channel nine footy related shows , all the panelists are up themselves and think they are superior to panelists on other stations. (except Carro, who I don't mind - yeah I know:D)

Grant clearly has an axe to grind with us, and his cheap shots at former champions are pathetic, and somewhat in contrast to Leigh Matthews after a Vic state game saying how much he'd loved having the leadership of Smith, Johnson etc.

I fail to see how Harvey, Leowe, Thompson, Burke etc greatly differed from Johnson, West, Smith, Grant and Darcy except perhaps ours were probably more talented, played more finals and won more games.

And yes, Garry and co could not love themselves anymore

GetDimmaBack
21-06-2011, 10:31 AM
Hard to watch, isn't it?

On the other hand, there's a good footy show on OneHD at 9.30 on Monday nights...

Cyberdoggie
21-06-2011, 11:03 AM
Hard to watch, isn't it?

On the other hand, there's a good footy show on OneHD at 9.30 on Monday nights...

Is that the one with Quarterbrain?

This show frustrates me as well, they get a player on and they have a perfect forum to ask them some hard hitting questions but they glaze over them and ask about 3-4 questions and then move on.

GetDimmaBack
21-06-2011, 11:05 AM
Is that the one with Quarterbrain?

This show frustrates me as well, they get a player on and they have a perfect forum to ask them some hard hitting questions but they glaze over them and ask about 3-4 questions and then move on.

Yeah, that's it.

Even with QB, it's better watching than Footy Classified! But then again, most things are...

Prince Imperial
21-06-2011, 11:18 AM
What leadership did Thomas did ever show as a player?

Not once did he ever play a finals match. Instead he enjoyed the glory of two wooden spoons at St Kilda as well as three second last places (including one with North).

Rohan Smith - 300 games, twice All Australian, one club great.
Grant Thomas - 83 games, journey man, non-entity at three clubs.

The Pie Man
21-06-2011, 11:28 AM

Not once did he ever play a finals match. Instead he enjoyed the glory of two wooden spoons at St Kilda as well as three second last places (including one with North).

Evidence above suggest Grant has little to no credibility. While I think it can be sometimes foolish to write off negative observations from someone clearly insecure with their standing in the game (while it's less than constructive, maybe there's something in it you haven't thought of) I can't see how he's anywhere near on the money with this one.

Great footage of Bubba wasn't it? I loved the 'we're back in this' growl he gave just after patting Ward on the back for putting his head over the ball. Wonder how his voice was later on (GRAB A MAN would've tested it :))

LostDoggy
21-06-2011, 11:30 AM
Yeah, that's it.

Even with QB, it's better watching than Footy Classified! But then again, most things are...

Give me the mangrook footy show any day of the week compared to the garbage that gets on tv

Scraggers
21-06-2011, 01:18 PM

He is THE reason I don't watch the show

Jasper
21-06-2011, 01:27 PM

Didn't he captain / coach 4 premierships in Warrnambool?
Surely that's a better record than Bubba!! ;)

Cornflakes Thomas.
Self appointed ruler on all things leadership cos he had a rotating Captain policy.
He has no credibility attacking 300 game All Australians

Remi Moses
21-06-2011, 07:10 PM

You Forgot the two knifings of Dennis Pagan at North and Malcolm Blight at Stkilda!
Don't mind someone having a leadership crack but someone from THAT CLUB:rolleyes:

Remi Moses
21-06-2011, 07:19 PM
Didn't he captain / coach 4 premierships in Warrnambool?
Surely that's a better record than Bubba!! ;)

Cornflakes Thomas.
Self appointed ruler on all things leadership cos he had a rotating Captain policy.
He has no credibility attacking 300 game All Australians

I think ol' cornflakes is married to the ex of Micky Roberts! Hilarious, they all probably met at Saints Disco(she was in the Cheer Squad)

LostDoggy
21-06-2011, 07:39 PM
I despise this man.

Maddog37
21-06-2011, 09:27 PM
Is it possible to delete this thread?

Remi Moses
22-06-2011, 04:10 AM
Is it possible to delete this thread?

Why?

always right
22-06-2011, 08:47 AM
Why?

Maddog37
22-06-2011, 10:39 AM
Because G Thomas is an absolute tool. A self serving flog that talks alot but never says anything. A St Kilda sycophant that does not deserve the priviledge of being discussed on WOOF.

Twodogs
22-06-2011, 10:51 AM
First off I'm not defending Grant Thomas-I agree with all the other poster's assessments of his coaching/playing career. He's a tool of the highest order wtith an incredibly inflated opinion of himself and his place in VFL/AFL circles.

BUT. Sometimes it's often exactly someone like him who puts the finger on exactly what the problem is at our club. He obviously spends a considerable amount of time looking for things to have a ping at us about rather than highlighting what's going right. As hard as it is for us to swallow some of his criticisms about us (leadership/why we often fail to perform in big finals/etc.) can sometimes be spot on. We could do worse than examine (and try to address) some of the the problems he points out.

The Coon Dog
22-06-2011, 11:03 AM
BUT. Sometimes it's often exactly someone like him who puts the finger on exactly what the problem is at our club. He obviously spends a considerable amount of time looking for things to have a ping at us about rather than highlighting what's going right. As hard as it is for us to swallow some of his criticisms about us (leadership/why we often fail to perform in big finals/etc.) can sometimes be spot on. We could do worse than examine (and try to address) some of the the problems he points out.

So could St.Kilda, wonder if he'd be prepared to say that publicly?

Twodogs
22-06-2011, 12:43 PM
So could St.Kilda, wonder if he'd be prepared to say that publicly?

It's an interesting point but he doesnt hate St Kilda like he obviously hates us*. My point is sometimes it's people who hate you who can sometimes put the finger on what's going wrong begore it becomes apparent to us. I notice he hasnt mentioned Diving Nick Rievoldt's relatively poor year to date.

* I wonder why he does hate us? I well remember him playing VFL footy but I've got to say that there isnt any incident that I remember involving him that would justify his obvious extreme bias against us. Did he play in the St Kilda team that we kicked the record score against in 1978 maybe? Or maybe it's the fact that we knocked them over at the MCG after they'd had that really good start to the season in the early 2000s?

Sedat
22-06-2011, 12:56 PM
* I wonder why he does hate us? I well remember him playing VFL footy but I've got to say that there isnt any incident that I remember involving him that would justify his obvious extreme bias against us. Did he play in the St Kilda team that we kicked the record score against in 1978 maybe? Or maybe it's the fact that we knocked them over at the MCG after they'd had that really good start to the season in the early 2000s?
Not sure about the Dogs but there is definitely some angst between him and Rocket following the 8.8.56 draw between Sydney and St Kilda in 2002. Rocket was scathing about the ultra flood that St Kilda (then a wooden spoon weakling) adopted in that match and I think Thomas has taken every opportunity to dig at Rocket ever since.

LostDoggy
22-06-2011, 02:30 PM
Not sure about the Dogs but there is definitely some angst between him and Rocket following the 8.8.56 draw between Sydney and St Kilda in 2002. Rocket was scathing about the ultra flood that St Kilda (then a wooden spoon weakling) adopted in that match and I think Thomas has taken every opportunity to dig at Rocket ever since.

His dislike of us began long before Rocket arrived.

Dancin' Douggy
22-06-2011, 03:39 PM
First off I'm not defending Grant Thomas-I agree with all the other poster's assessments of his coaching/playing career. He's a tool of the highest order wtith an incredibly inflated opinion of himself and his place in VFL/AFL circles.

Hang on. This is about him having a pot shot at Rohan Smith.

Jasper
23-06-2011, 10:01 AM

Yes, Smith this time.
It is another in a series of attacks on the leadership of the club in the past decade or so.

Accused Grant, Johnson, Smith, West of all being selfish and lacking the requisite leadership to win a premiership despite the talents to do so.

One could easily draw the same conclusions to Lockett, Loewe, Harvey and Burke.
Or Riewoldt, Kosi, Hayes and Dal Santo
He is a hyopcrite of the highest order

Twodogs
23-06-2011, 12:20 PM

Yep, I understand that. But like Captain Gronner said above Cornflakes takes every chance he gets to bag our club. It's Bubba this time but in the past he's taken every opportunity he can to sink the boot. I'm just curious why-whether it's just an irrational hatred (like I have for North Melbourne for instance) or there is a reason for it (like the reason for my hatred of Richmond).

And further to the point whether we should pay any attention to his observations if they can improve our performance on or off field.

The Coon Dog
28-06-2011, 10:25 AM
Anyone see his Tweets on Twitter this morning? What do the Indigenous Community have to do with this issue? Joel Wilkinson is of Nigerian origin. Is he seriously suggesting the Indigenous Community in this issue are the oppressed? :rolleyes:

thomo_ninemsn Grant Thomas
Has anyone asked indigenous community leaders or the AFL's manager if they are satisfied? Surely the oppressed should have a final say?

Is VFL a sanctuary for racial abuse? Not sure their execs are too happy about "housing" the assailant? They've had their own probs recently

Having said that I am more in favour of AFLPA adding agreed clause in contract that fines player 50% of annual contract for racial abuse

LostDoggy
28-06-2011, 11:18 AM
It sounds to me that Grant Thomas has something against the Bulldogs, Rohan Smith and this issues.
Would anyone know what the Bulldogs has ever done to him? or is he just a tool.

soupman
28-06-2011, 11:26 AM
What a tool.

Sedat
28-06-2011, 11:41 AM
I find it hard to dislike Thomas these days because of his hilarious (and on the money) comments in relation to city hall. His latest article is a case in point:
http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/blog.aspx?blogentryid=840182&showcomments=true

Twodogs
28-06-2011, 12:26 PM
Anyone see his Tweets on Twitter this morning? What do the Indigenous Community have to do with this issue? Joel Wilkinson is of Nigerian origin. Is he seriously suggesting the Indigenous Community in this issue are the oppressed? :rolleyes:

Has anyone asked indigenous community leaders or the AFL's manager if they are satisfied? Surely the oppressed should have a final say?

Is VFL a sanctuary for racial abuse? Not sure their execs are too happy about "housing" the assailant? They've had their own probs recently

Having said that I am more in favour of AFLPA adding agreed clause in contract that fines player 50% of annual contract for racial abuse

What a moron. He got a free swing at us and still missed.

Remi Moses
28-06-2011, 02:20 PM
Yes, Smith this time.
It is another in a series of attacks on the leadership of the club in the past decade or so.

Accused Grant, Johnson, Smith, West of all being selfish and lacking the requisite leadership to win a premiership despite the talents to do so.

One could easily draw the same conclusions to Lockett, Loewe, Harvey and Burke.
Or Riewoldt, Kosi, Hayes and Dal Santo
He is a hyopcrite of the highest order

Wonder who was coach when the whole Milne Montagna thing went off ?
Hypocrite ol' cornflakes