HB: Jarrod Harbrow, Campbell Brown, Joel Wilkinson
C: Michael Rischitelli, David Swallow, Sam Iles
HF: Daniel Stanley, Charlie Dixon, Matt Shaw
F: Josh Fraser, Tom Lynch, Jared Brennan
Foll: Zac Smith, Maverick Weller, Gary Ablett
I/C: Karmichael Hunt, Luke Russell, Hayden Jolly, Dion Prestia
Emg: Daniel Harris, Daniel Gorringe, Jacob Gillbee

In: Zac Smith, Hayden Jolly, Charlie Dixon, Joel Wilkinson, David Swallow
Out: Trent McKenzie (Rested), Daniel Harris, Rex Liddy, Sam Day (Rested), Daniel Gorringe
New: Hayden Jolly (Glenelg, SA), Joel Wilkinson (Broadbeach)

LostDoggy
23-06-2011, 06:07 PM
In Hall, Howard

Out: DJ Libba

The forward line looks a little top heavy with Barlow, Jones and Hall (and Minson will no doubt spend time there as well).

Mantis
23-06-2011, 06:20 PM
Minson looks likely to be the sub in this line up.

LostDoggy
23-06-2011, 06:26 PM

Minno and Hall to play 2 quarters each..I like it.

Throughandthrough
23-06-2011, 06:36 PM
Hayden Jolly to debut for the Suns. Ex Glenelg (premiership) u18 team mate of Howard.

I hope Jolly has hardened up.

angelopetraglia
23-06-2011, 06:37 PM
Did all the emergencies fly up with the team?

LostDoggy
23-06-2011, 06:44 PM
Does anyone know why Markovic can't get a game? Has it been decided that he is too slow and is not afl standard? I am staggered that when an inexperienced Crow forward line exposed us for height - when they were up and about in 1st quarter - that we wouldn't have him in this week.

Pickenitup
23-06-2011, 07:46 PM
I wouldnt of thought Minson would be a sub when they have Smith and Fraser in the ruck
i would be thinking Gilbee or Schofield

chef
23-06-2011, 08:14 PM

To me Hudson should be the one unless there is an early injury.

LostDoggy
23-06-2011, 08:15 PM

I agree.

Mantis do you know if Sam Reid is close?
Surely he deserves another crack considering what he has shown so far?
He's not short on heart thats for sure.

Go_Dogs
23-06-2011, 08:25 PM
Hayden Jolly to debut for the Suns. Ex Glenelg (premiership) u18 team mate of Howard.

I hope Jolly has hardened up.

He's had to wait a while for his debut which I found a bit surprising. Look forward to seeing him in action.

I hope we start with Hall as the sub, and with Hudson to be the player subbed. Ease Hall back in, and allow Minson and Barlow to handle the ruck duties in the second half and see how they go.

Dancin' Douggy
23-06-2011, 10:48 PM
Does anyone know why Markovic can't get a game? Has it been decided that he is too slow and is not afl standard? I am staggered that when an inexperienced Crow forward line exposed us for height - when they were up and about in 1st quarter - that we wouldn't have him in this week.

I'm with you E man. Markovic was really solid in the early rounds.

Sockeye Salmon
23-06-2011, 11:33 PM

The only tall Crows forward who was a threat against a smaller opponent was McKernan on Wood and besides one mark very early that was a massive win for us. McKernan barely got another touch forward and Wood kicked a goal himself.

Greystache
23-06-2011, 11:34 PM

I'd say with us going with Easton Wood as a key defender rather than playing Marko things don't look good for Lukas.

bornadog
23-06-2011, 11:49 PM
I'd say with us going with Easton Wood as a key defender rather than playing Marko things don't look good for Lukas.

Might also depend on the match ups with the opposition, Adelaide were not tall in the their forward line other than Tippet. Suns are similar, so we can cover them and have more run with Wood, Howard, Murphy etc.

Dry Rot
23-06-2011, 11:54 PM
Anyone else a bit concerned about picking both Hall and Cooney?

Rather than playing a full game back in the VFL, Hall is playing an interstate AFL game after a month off, while Cooney's knee seems problematic.

I'd rather have Baz play for Willi this week.

Greystache
23-06-2011, 11:58 PM
Might also depend on the match ups with the opposition, Adelaide were not tall in the their forward line other than Tippet. Suns are similar, so we can cover them and have more run with Wood, Howard, Murphy etc.

McKernan at 198cm and 98kg's is a genuine key forward size.

jeemak
24-06-2011, 12:13 AM

Rather than playing a full game back in the VFL, Hall is playing an interstate AFL game after a month off, while Cooney's knee seems problematic.

If they were in the same section of the ground fulfilling similar roles I'd agree with you.

I think Hall will be subbed though, maybe for Minson at some stage. I can see the merit in having Hall play a full game for Williamstown though.

If we start off with Minson as the sub though, we'd have to be careful when covering Hudson when he has a spell. We're very short down back if Williams spends time in the ruck, maybe Jones will have a small run through there.

LostDoggy
24-06-2011, 12:19 AM
Minson as a sub is a risk, if we lose a small early we could be in big trouble

Don't think the MC will take that risk

Topdog
24-06-2011, 12:43 AM

Cooney came through last week with no problems and I thought his movement was a lot better.

jazzadogs
24-06-2011, 01:29 AM
I would have thought Schofield (or similar) as the starting sub, with one of the talls to be subbed off providing there are no injuries (preferably Hall or Hudson).

Having a tall as the sub is far too risky. At least if it's a small and a small gets injured, you're not any worse off in terms of height balance. If the sub is a tall and a small gets injured, you're suddenly down a small and up a tall.

jeemak
24-06-2011, 01:50 AM
I would have thought Schofield (or similar) as the starting sub, with one of the talls to be subbed off providing there are no injuries (preferably Hall or Hudson).

Having a tall as the sub is far too risky. At least if it's a small and a small gets injured, you're not any worse off in terms of height balance. If the sub is a tall and a small gets injured, you're suddenly down a small and up a tall.

So do you think one of Minson, Hall or Hudson will be subbed off for a smaller player?

Replacing a tall with a more mobile player for the second half has its merits, but I'm concerned about leaving our defense exposed in the second half (presumably if that's when one of the talls mentioned gets subbed off) in terms of height when Williams has to help in the ruck. With that in mind, I think Hall will definitely be subbed this week, leaving Minson and Hudson to ruck the second half barring injury.

I just have a strange feeling that against an inexperienced team Eade will opt to go mobile from the outset and nominate Minson as the sub to replace Hall later in the game. GC are likely to tire as the game goes on, and lack for run. If they're to get the jump on us it will be due to pace, not contested and hard ball dominance.

the banker
24-06-2011, 06:20 AM
Small as sub. Bazza subbed off at some stage. We don't want Williams rucking at any stage IMO.

Bulldog Joe
24-06-2011, 07:21 AM
Barlow would be pinch hitter in the ruck if one of Hudson or Minson is sub/subbed.

westdog54
24-06-2011, 08:48 AM

He also did 5/8ths of bugger all on Friday night. He's a genuine key forward size, no doubt about it. Just not sure he's a genuine key forward...

I don't think we need to go too tall in defence against the Gold Coast but Fraser/Smith vs Huddo/Will worries me in terms of mobility and output away from stoppages.

Gold Coast have also struggled to run out games as a general rule so maybe they are backing the fitness of our mids/smaller players to get the job done with less rotations. Based on the team as its lined up I would expect at least one of Minson, Hall, Jones, Barlow or Huddo on the bench at any one time, which either means one of them is the sub which is a gamble in itself, or they will play a small as the sub and effectively only have 2 players free for the rest of the team to do their rotations.

LostDoggy
24-06-2011, 09:30 AM

It's a good problem to have I suppose. My argument is that most good teams have a couple of monsters and I think it is a risk to rely playing Williams (inconsistent) and Morris (undersized) on them. At the least another tall option lets us shuffle around if an opposition forward is getting on top (e.g. Tippett on Williams). I take the point that this may rob us of drive off the backline, but I don't think Markovic was that bad on the rebound

LostDoggy
24-06-2011, 09:30 AM
I'd have Cooney as the sub again. Ease him into another game. Have Minson and Hudson wear down their ruck combo(s) and have Cooney ready to sub an early injury or Min/Huddo/Hall later in the game.

LostDoggy
24-06-2011, 09:50 AM
The forward line looks a little top heavy with Barlow, Jones and Hall (and Minson will no doubt spend time there as well).

I remember in years gone by, we all dreamed of a top-heavy forward line…

I'd have Cooney as the sub again. Ease him into another game. Have Minson and Hudson wear down their ruck combo(s) and have Cooney ready to sub an early injury or Min/Huddo/Hall later in the game.

You could even put Coons in the ruck. He's shown in the past he can ruck against Dean Cox and win the hitout… ;)

Sockeye Salmon
24-06-2011, 10:35 AM

That doesn't make sense.

Don't have a tall as a sub because of team balance if a small gets hurt?

Surely then by putting a small as a sub your team balance is shot from the start?

LostDoggy
24-06-2011, 10:51 AM
I remember in years gone by, we all dreamed of a top-heavy forward line…

Those were the days before the press and "frontal pressure" were all the rage

Bumper Bulldogs
24-06-2011, 11:12 AM
I hope that Gilbee pays back the faith the selectors have put in him, I for one would have dropped him and left little Libba in the side. Is Libba struggling with AFL as he cant seem to string many games together and being that we should have a good win it would have been a good to leave him in.

I too would like Hudson to start as the sub, I think we need Will to take them on and really crash in, he has a better motor around the ground than Hudson and I think with Huddo coming on after Half time his clearance work would help a slightly tired midfield.

I also think it would be a good opportunity for Schofield to have a run with role on Gary Ablett for 15 minutes just to show him the expected level on fitness we are looking for.

Hot_Doggies
24-06-2011, 11:35 AM
[QUOTE=BornAScragger;222966]I remember in years gone by, we all dreamed of a top-heavy forward line…

QUOTE]

Cloke, Dawes and Leigh Brown?

Helps if your tall forwards can catch it.

G-Mo77
24-06-2011, 11:41 AM
I hope that Gilbee pays back the faith the selectors have put in him, I for one would have dropped jim and left little Libba in the side. Is Libba struggling with AFL as he cant seem to string many games together and being that we should have a good win it would have been a good to leave him in.

I don't think he is, he shutdown or took part in shutting down Dangerfield last week. Surprised he was dropped to be honest.

Oh well, I get to see both he and Wallis here in Bendigo Saturday afternoon. :)

soupman
24-06-2011, 12:06 PM

Thats all well and good but unless that means he's going to dominate Wood then we keep Wood.

I remember when Gilbee was in his prime he would always take the resting ruckman, despite giving away 20+cms. This was because we thought by having Gilbee on someone who couldn't really be accountable for him meant that Gilbee's increased output would exceed the resting ruckmans contribution to the match.

Thats badly worded, but basically in this instance with Wood and markovic playing on McKernan, we would have expected that the run and carry gained from Wood is worth the extra goal we conceded by picking him ahead of Markovic, who while maybe keeping McKernan to no goals wouldn't have been able to provide anywhere near the same attacking option that Wood can.

Greystache
24-06-2011, 01:22 PM
Thats all well and good but unless that means he's going to dominate Wood then we keep Wood.

I remember when Gilbee was in his prime he would always take the resting ruckman, despite giving away 20+cms. This was because we thought by having Gilbee on someone who couldn't really be accountable for him meant that Gilbee's increased output would exceed the resting ruckmans contribution to the match.

Thats badly worded, but basically in this instance with Wood and markovic playing on McKernan, we would have expected that the run and carry gained from Wood is worth the extra goal we conceded by picking him ahead of Markovic, who while maybe keeping McKernan to no goals wouldn't have been able to provide anywhere near the same attacking option that Wood can.

I understand that, it still doesn't change that Wood being given these roles doesn't auger well for Markovic

bornadog
24-06-2011, 01:26 PM
I for one would have dropped jim and left little Libba in the side. .

New recruit:D

bornadog
24-06-2011, 01:27 PM
I understand that, it still doesn't change that Wood being given these roles doesn't auger well for Markovic

Agree as we know Wood is more athletic.

Desipura
24-06-2011, 01:30 PM
Minson as sub for mine, Hudson earns his spot on last weeks performance, plus his second efforts to feed out the onballers is an added advantage.
Alternatively they may ease Hall back and sub him.

LostDoggy
24-06-2011, 01:58 PM

This is the way I was going but doesnt have to be Cooney.
Sub: Cooney/Scho/Howard
Hall or Hudson comes off, prefer Hudson.

Mantis
24-06-2011, 02:15 PM
Both Reid and Markovic are training with the team.

Cooney is the only no show at the minute..... Edit: just came at now.

Desipura
24-06-2011, 04:37 PM
Both Reid and Markovic are training with the team.

Cooney is the only no show at the minute..... Edit: just came at now.
Cant believe Vespa cant get in the team. Why would Markovic potentially come in?

jazzadogs
24-06-2011, 07:30 PM
That doesn't make sense.

Don't have a tall as a sub because of team balance if a small gets hurt?

Surely then by putting a small as a sub your team balance is shot from the start?
I agree with you, but the MC has picked these 22 players (which I think most agree is bordering on top heavy).

Basically, if we're going to have this many talls in the side it's better to have the option of decreasing it through the sub to increase run, rather than increasing/maintaining it.

Bumper Bulldogs
24-06-2011, 07:39 PM
New recruit:D

sorry it should read "him"