PDA

View Full Version : Bulldogs champion Chris Grant back in love with the game

The Coon Dog
25-06-2011, 03:38 AM
Mike Sheahan - Herald Sun - 25 June

IN the end, Chris Grant simply fell out of love with football.

After an intense 18-year relationship, the romance was gone. Grant had tired of her unrelenting demands. She had hurt him in more ways than one, teasing him with promises rarely kept, leaving him tired, drained and frustrated.

They had been together since 1990, he the shy, footballing prodigy from country Victoria, she the ageless temptress with a history of breaking young hearts. There was the usual early bliss and numerous memorable moments along the way, but 15 years in, things started to change for him.

Despite his unwavering commitment to her year after year, his willingness to keep giving without complaint, she continued to test him, introducing more and more obstacles, as if determined to break him. The usual things, form and injuries, plus finals disappointments and, for him, Brownlow Medal heartbreak.

Article in full... (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/bulldogs-champion-chris-grant-back-in-love-with-the-game/story-e6frf9jf-1226081592541)

Go_Dogs
25-06-2011, 10:05 AM
Nice article.

comrade
25-06-2011, 10:30 AM
My favourite player of all time.

I was guttered when I first heard he had quietly retired, that he didn't give us a chance to cheer him off after the last game of 2007. But that was the way he wanted it.

The Coon Dog
25-06-2011, 10:49 AM

Easy to understand why, a champion on & off the field.

LostDoggy
25-06-2011, 10:57 AM

Same.

Getting the chance to watch him week in & week out, was an absolute pleasure.

LongWait
25-06-2011, 11:38 AM
Thanks CoonDog - in Queensland it is not easy to get footy news, so I really appreciate your posting of the media articles.

Nice of Sheehan to end the article with such a warm endorsement of Granty - he didn't have to do it, which makes it more genuine I think. Kudos Mike.

chef
25-06-2011, 04:32 PM

I was guttered when I first heard he had quietly retired, that he didn't give us a chance to cheer him off after the last game of 2007. But that was the way he wanted it.

Mine too. I was lucky enough to see his last game, I would have been gutted if I missed it.

westdog54
25-06-2011, 06:29 PM
Thoroughly enjoyed reading that article. Answered a lot of questions. The best footballers are always the ones who have that little bit of perspective about where football sits in their lives. Glad Granty is doing well and enjeying life.

LostDoggy
27-06-2011, 10:06 AM
For me, the article raises another question. OK, so for Granty we all loved and adored him, and any Bulldogs supporter who shouted out something negative to him at a game would have been strung up by the nearest fellow Dog. But in the case of other senior players struggling to continue to “fight the good fight” as Sheahan puts it, I wonder how much harder it is for them when they don't have the same level of love and support.

As a pure example, I wonder if Gia gets mentally sick of football but struggles on, only to be derided by fans everywhere as “soft” and a “liability”. Does he wonder why the hell he bothers?

This, combined with all the things he mentions, such as endless meetings, corporate functions, etc. are inevitably going to make a bloke wonder why he started out kicking the footy to begin with.

It seems to me that the veterans shoulder too much responsibility and expectation. Barry Hall is our current Chris Grant, expected by the uneducated amongst us to win the Coleman and kick 6 in the Granny, but in the end, a bloke pushing into his 30's should be cheered for simply keeping up with the 19 year olds running around beside him, and after a decade in the game, could be forgiven for being let out of the odd meeting here and there.

Bulldog Revolution
27-06-2011, 05:39 PM
Sheahan with a long over due suck up to Chris, after all the rubbish he dished up in his direction over the years

strebla
02-07-2011, 02:48 PM
Still warms the old cockles I love this bloke always have always will like BJ just got it done loved the club respects the supporters and got shafted by the game.When we do win one they along with quite a few others belong on the dias at the western oval being told that they own the cup too!!!!

immortalmike
02-07-2011, 04:13 PM
Why is it that when best in the AFL lists get thrown up West, Johnson and especially Grant get completely snubbed? Chris was at his absolute best better than anyone, and at his worst second to Carey (he was also better for longer). The complete lack of respect these guys get is astounding. Especially when you consider the crazy media love for guys like Buckley, Harvey, Archer and Hird. The first two also never experienced the ultimate success and the second two are the most overated players in existence.

strebla
02-07-2011, 06:19 PM
Why is it that when best in the AFL lists get thrown up West, Johnson and especially Grant get completely snubbed? Chris was at his absolute best better than anyone, and at his worst second to Carey (he was also better for longer). The complete lack of respect these guys get is astounding. Especially when you consider the crazy media love for guys like Buckley, Harvey, Archer and Hird. The first two also never experienced the ultimate success and the second two are the most overated players in existence.

Archer and Hird overated !!!!!!! what absolute tripe I would put Chis and Brad up with these 4 easilly and I am as one eyed red white and blue as anyone but the 4 players you named also deserve the recognition they get they are all out and out stars as are Chris,Brad and not to forget Scotty West!!!!:mad:

immortalmike
02-07-2011, 06:30 PM
Archer and Hird overated !!!!!!! what absolute tripe I would put Chis and Brad up with these 4 easilly and I am as one eyed red white and blue as anyone but the 4 players you named also deserve the recognition they get they are all out and out stars as are Chris,Brad and not to forget Scotty West!!!!:mad:

Media spin! Hird and Archer won premierships in really good sides. Archer was a very good defender with alot of courage nothing more nothing less. Hird was a very good mid/half forward who benefitted from being in one of the best teams ever and did some very nice flashy things. Neither could hold a candle to Grant or Johnson especially when it comes to consistency and longevity.

Greystache
02-07-2011, 06:34 PM

West is the one I can't understand being so under rated, he was every bit the player Harvey was and more. Perhaps if he had've won the 2000 & 2006 Brownlow's like he should've then things would be different. :mad:

LostDoggy
02-07-2011, 07:16 PM

I completely agree ..... especially when it comes to Chris Grant. The bloke should have won 2 brownlows, one was pinched by Ian Collins and the previous year a last minute Essendon goal in the last game probably cost him the 3 votes (Hird got 3 & Chris 2) and he missed by 1 vote.

He should always be recognised on the same level as the pretty boys Buckley, Voss and Hird.

If Chris had played for one of the high profile clubs he would have legend status.

LostDoggy
02-07-2011, 07:31 PM
I completely agree ..... especially when it comes to Chris Grant. The bloke should have won 2 brownlows, one was pinched by Ian Collins and the previous year a last minute Essendon goal in the last game probably cost him the 3 votes (Hird got 3 & Chris 2) and he missed by 1 vote.

He should always be recognised on the same level as the pretty boys Buckley, Voss and Hird.

If Chris had played for one of the high profile clubs he would have legend status.

This.

Desipura
02-07-2011, 07:37 PM

If Chris had played for one of the high profile clubs he would have legend status.[/QUOTE]

I disagree, Granty was a great player however falls just short of Buckley, Voss and Hird.
I believe because there was such a heavy reliance of Granty to win us games up forward, there was too heavy of a burden on his shoulders and hence why he would get the yips. Down back he did not have that pressure and he showed how good he was.
If we had another decent forward during his career , it may have been a different story.
It's no coincidence when Coleman was playing well for us, Granty was relieved of some pressure, that said he was a fantastic player for us, one of our greatest!

Sockeye Salmon
03-07-2011, 10:11 AM

I'm with you, Mike. I've never got the Hird love. Good player, not in my best of team
1. Norm Smith. Hird had 30 touches, 13 in the last quarter (Essendon were 59 points up at 3/4 time), 21 handball receives, 4 contested.

Joe Misiti had 25 touches, 11 contested, 11 clearances

Hird won the Norm Smith based on junk time handball receives and image

We all know the Brownlow story from round 22, 1996

SonofScray
03-07-2011, 12:18 PM
Middle section of today's herald Sun has a best players from 1990-2000 in it, broken down by position. I think it was fan voted, so can't knock the paper too much but C Grant does not rate a mention. Behind guys like Archer as a defender and Goodes as a forward.

Honestly, I am astounded by how since retirement his status in the game has slipped so far down the ladder. At his peak playing CHF, he was the equal of Carey (admittedly, only for two seasons.) When playing back he was the best and fairest player in the comp one season, one errant kick from Steve Wallis away from a Brownlow the previous year as well. He had one of the great debut seasons, book ended with some handy work as a bit parts man late in his career.

Took screamers, kicked goals, showed courage, a great sportsman, sublime field kicking skills.... I just can't understand how easily those people outside our Club have disregarded him. I love the bloke, he was a fixture of the Footscray side I followed from childhood into my early 20's and a great role model. Most games I still take the flag I painted with his image emblazoned on it to games - because he deserves to have a visible legacy.

Behind Glen Archer FFS, that toad.

immortalmike
03-07-2011, 03:42 PM
I'm with you, Mike. I've never got the Hird love. Good player, not in my best of team
1. Norm Smith. Hird had 30 touches, 13 in the last quarter (Essendon were 59 points up at 3/4 time), 21 handball receives, 4 contested.

Joe Misiti had 25 touches, 11 contested, 11 clearances

Hird won the Norm Smith based on junk time handball receives and image

We all know the Brownlow story from round 22, 1996

Unfortunately, it seems his media legacy has made him untouchable. And you even get shouted down by fellow bulldogs supporters when you dare question his status.

...Honestly, I am astounded by how since retirement his status in the game has slipped so far down the ladder. At his peak playing CHF, he was the equal of Carey (admittedly, only for two seasons.) When playing back he was the best and fairest player in the comp one season, one errant kick from Steve Wallis away from a Brownlow the previous year as well. He had one of the great debut seasons, book ended with some handy work as a bit parts man late in his career.

Took screamers, kicked goals, showed courage, a great sportsman, sublime field kicking skills.... I just can't understand how easily those people outside our Club have disregarded him. I love the bloke, he was a fixture of the Footscray side I followed from childhood into my early 20's and a great role model. Most games I still take the flag I painted with his image emblazoned on it to games - because he deserves to have a visible legacy.

Behind Glen Archer FFS, that toad.

The fact is we won't see a better footballer in either of our lifetimes than Chris Grant, yet there is at least three Archers running around out there right now.

LostDoggy
03-07-2011, 04:28 PM
I don't think many people realise (media & other fans) he kicked over 550 goals, fair effort considering he was never in a set forward position year after year.

LostDoggy
04-07-2011, 09:49 PM
Probably because he shies away from the same media spotlight that the others court so well. Hard to be noticed when you insist on sitting in a corner at the back of the bar, so to speak…

For me, I'll never forget him saying no to Port, and to me that was the greatest thing a footballer has done in the past 30 or so years — because he singlehandedly gave us all that hope back, the hope that football was still about the game and not about the money, and that not everybody is into material possessions over loyalty and honour and friendship. In an era of Club 10 and million dollar salaries, Chris Grant stood up tall and did the Jerry Maguire.

F**king legend.

cinder
05-07-2011, 06:46 PM
I still haven't replaced the no. 3 on my jumper ...