PDA

View Full Version : What to do with Barry Hall?

Greystache
26-06-2011, 01:43 AM
It's been a tough year for Barry, it seems age has caught up with him finally and he's really battling. His second efforts ate gone, he doesn't even attempt to chase or apply defensive pressure, and his touch looks terribly off. He has been a champion of the game, but his time appears short.

So what do we do? Do we persist with him for a few weeks to see if he comes good? And if not do we tap him on the shoulder and give him a farewell game? Or do we play him based on form and let him play at Williamstown when form dictates.

Personally I'm inclined to go with option one.

It could be a time where a difficult decision needs to be made, what will our MC do?

Scraggers
26-06-2011, 01:54 AM
It's all a matter of perspective really ... Robert Walls said he looked fat and was past it, whereas Chris Grant on radio said he made a great comeback, kicking two goals and even though he dropped a couple of marks those skills will return after some more match practice.

I tend to go with option one as well ... give him a few weeks, he will come good.

LostDoggy
26-06-2011, 02:12 AM
Another thing I have always wondered, Can younger ones like Jones & Grant learn something by playing along side him???

Dry Rot
26-06-2011, 02:23 AM
Maybe it depends on how you view the remainder of the season?

Some still look to a possible finals berth, while others realise that we are utter poo and should just rebuild/play the kids.

Under the former, see how Hall goes and if necessary make the tough call if he doesn't get better and the false hope of finals action still beckons.

Under the latter, it's not a matter of winning but getting games into young guys. Hall may be helpful taking the best defender allowing Jones/Grant to get good experience with less pressure.

AndrewP6
26-06-2011, 02:38 AM
Leave him in, I think he still adds something to the side, taking the best defender and drawing attention constantly. If he'd held a couple more marks today he could've had four goals, and anyway, I think 2 goals wasn't a bad return for a bloke who's spent over a month out of the side. Sure he's not exactly a Porsche, but his leads are strong, and 50m or closer to goal, I'll back him.

Walls said he looked out of shape, and shortly thereafter, Baz kicks two goals.

LostDoggy
26-06-2011, 08:03 AM
Depends on whether he can hold his marks. You'd take the lack of second efforts, no pace and turning circle of a truck if he could hold chest marks.
Give him another week or 2.

stefoid
26-06-2011, 08:24 AM
His agility may return as his ankle heals.

GVGjr
26-06-2011, 08:51 AM
Depends on whether he can hold his marks. You'd take the lack of second efforts, no pace and turning circle of a truck if he could hold chest marks.
Give him another week or 2.

It will be interesting to see if he can be ready for the Friday night game but I agree he probably has two weeks to show that he is close to returning to form.

chef
26-06-2011, 08:58 AM
I don't see the point of playing him(he is shot IMO and one hell of a liability once the ball has hit the ground) as we are not going to play finals and would rather get games into Jones, Grant, Roughead etc and maybe Cordy as a forward. 2012 should be our focus from now on.

Bulldog Joe
26-06-2011, 09:18 AM
I would be giving Barry a few more chances. He does take the best defender. Even yesterday Bock became more influential after Barry was subbed off.

Hotdog60
26-06-2011, 09:37 AM
I'm to in the opinion that we give him a few weeks to find form, as posters have said he draws a crowd and one at this point in time that hasn't been there in the past is the little 'Grommet'.

If he can get at Barry feet he's agility can create options and he's does tend to look to give off, this could be a good opportunity for Sherman to slam a few if he times it right for the run past.

Other than that option one for me.

ledge
26-06-2011, 11:32 AM
Keep playing him, he will teach the younger ones, he wont get a tap on the shoulder he retires at the end of the year anyway, we still will pay his wage til then, use his strengths while we can.
I personally would love to see him hang around next year as a coach in the kicking for goal scenarios.

chef
26-06-2011, 11:36 AM
Keep playing him, he will teach the younger ones, he wont get a tap on the shoulder he retires at the end of the year anyway, we still will pay his wage til then, use his strengths while we can.
I personally would love to see him hang around next year as a coach in the kicking for goal scenarios.

Do you think he sets a very good example with his second efforts once the balls on the ground?

LostDoggy
27-06-2011, 03:08 PM
What ever is the best for the development of Jones and Grant, best left to the devolpment coaches to decide whether its alongside or instead of Hall.

I would see two of the three playing each week depending on form and fitness.

No question of another season for BBBH.

LostDoggy
27-06-2011, 08:18 PM
Atleast now the recruiters know what a key position forward looks like. Hopefully we can get one in this Draft. Including some new backs. I do fail to see though any value Barry brings to the team other than a Marketing tool.

LostDoggy
27-06-2011, 08:48 PM
I've heard that Barry will take 4 weeks off, i'm assuming playing for Willy and if he can't deliver after that he will call it quits like Mooney is doing.
However, it's a pretty distant source and i can't at all vouch for accuracy

Bumper Bulldogs
27-06-2011, 08:59 PM
I would be giving Barry a few more chances. He does take the best defender. Even yesterday Bock became more influential after Barry was subbed off.

Yes spot on and lets not forget the upside. If he can get his touch back he could still be dangerous.

Sockeye Salmon
28-06-2011, 12:23 AM
I've heard that Barry will take 4 weeks off, i'm assuming playing for Willy and if he can't deliver after that he will call it quits like Mooney is doing.
However, it's a pretty distant source and i can't at all vouch for accuracy

He said that a while back, he's had his 4 weeks

LostDoggy
28-06-2011, 02:52 AM
Barry is a gun. He's obviously concerned about re-injuring his ankle, so he's taking it easy. Once the confidence is back in his body everything else will start to click and we'll be a better team for having him in it. Playing him for half the game over the next few games is a great way to get him back into the swing of things.

the banker
28-06-2011, 08:41 AM

Merit in this.

Barry must be given a few weeks to regain touch. In the meantime he gives structure and takes the focus of one or two defenders.l Gia, Dahlhaus, Grant and Jones will benefit from his presence. He won't be dropping chest marks for too long.

BulldogBelle
28-06-2011, 09:43 AM

Merit in this.

Barry must be given a few weeks to regain touch. In the meantime he gives structure and takes the focus of one or two defenders.l Gia, Dahlhaus, Grant and Jones will benefit from his presence. He won't be dropping chest marks for too long.

Barry dropped quite a few marks....if he had have held them, and played a full match (with full fitness) - he could have kicked 5+

Playing on Bock is no walk in the park though - he was an All-Australian a few years ago

Give BBB a few weeks, he is just a little rusty and out of touch and lacking match fitness- he will get that back soon enough

Cyberdoggie
28-06-2011, 11:29 AM
[QUOTE=the banker;223794]

Barry dropped quite a few marks....if he had have held them, and played a full match (with full fitness) - he could have kicked 5+

Playing on Bock is no walk in the park though - he was an All-Australian a few years ago

Give BBB a few weeks, he is just a little rusty and out of touch and lacking match fitness- he will get that back soon enough

That all depends on if the ankle can heal. If he continues to have problems with it (and he has for some years now), he won't get out on the park and get match fit. It's clear he hasn't been able to run and keep match fit but if his body doesn't make a miraculous recovery i think Barry might make an early retirement. (ie before the end of the season)

Mantis
28-06-2011, 11:34 AM
Something I noticed with Barry at training on Friday was the drop off in distance in his kicking. Last year he would send a kick from 50m into the crowd, but he was struggling to make the distance in the session I watched.

Being able to slot goals from the 50m arc made him a powerful weapon last year, I guess we will wait and see if he still has that range when given the opportunity.

SlimPickens
28-06-2011, 11:46 AM
Something I noticed with Barry at training on Friday was the drop off in distance in his kicking. Last year he would send a kick from 50m into the crowd, but he was struggling to make the distance in the session I watched.

Being able to slot goals from the 50m arc made him a powerful weapon last year, I guess we will wait and see if he still has that range when given the opportunity.

Watching the replay of the GC game, his first shot on goal was just inside the 50m arc. He cleared the fence comfortably. Not sure about the wind but didn't look like a concern

1eyedog
28-06-2011, 12:49 PM
Watching the replay of the GC game, his first shot on goal was just inside the 50m arc. He cleared the fence comfortably. Not sure about the wind but didn't look like a concern

There was a two goal wind down that end in the first half. He appeared to kick the ball cleanly with good penetration against the Suns.