PDA

View Full Version : rumour regarding Zephi

w3design
28-06-2011, 03:22 PM
Someone on Bigfooty mentioned Skinner wasn't at any of the VFL games on the weekend. One even suggesting he's gone missing completely. It was his birthday recently so he very well may have just gone home to spend it with his family, supported by the club of course.

I know this place is a little more learned and less troll-like than bigfooty, so does anyone have any word?

G-Mo77
28-06-2011, 03:38 PM
Someone on Bigfooty mentioned Skinner wasn't at any of the VFL games on the weekend. One even suggesting he's gone walkabout. It was his birthday recently so he very well may have just gone home to spend it with his family, supported by the club of course.

I know this place is a little more learned and less troll-like than bigfooty, so does anyone have any word?

It's possible he was injured.

Rocco Jones
28-06-2011, 07:56 PM
I was at the Whitten Oval on Saturday around midday and I was sure that I saw him (found it odd considering Willy games).

Mitcha
28-06-2011, 08:15 PM
It's possible he was injured.
Tweaked a medial.

w3design
28-06-2011, 09:14 PM
Shit. That's worse than the just gone back to visit family thing.

Medial is the bad one, right?

AndrewP6
28-06-2011, 09:23 PM

I'm no doctor, but I think the anterior cruciate is the 'bad' one.

Greystache
28-06-2011, 09:30 PM
Medial could be anything from 1 week to 12 depending on the severity of the strain.

Cyberdoggie
29-06-2011, 11:05 AM

Na Medial is probably the best one to do.

It's the one going down the inner leg side of the knee.

I tore the one in my left leg and i'm still having problems with it today but amazingly i didn't require surgury.
It took a few months of physio and rest but it came good eventually.
The problem you get with knee injuries is that they are never as good as before and also the muscles deteriorate around the knee so you need to build them up again.

So bottom line is if Skinner just tweaked it a little then he'll be fine fairly quickly, but if he has a tear then it might take some time, but nothing like an ACL or PCL.

Greystache
30-06-2011, 02:40 PM
Zephi trained today, had some strapping on his left knee but moved pretty well.

Cyberdoggie
30-06-2011, 05:13 PM
Zephi trained today, had some strapping on his left knee but moved pretty well.

If he's already training then it can't be too bad, probably just a strain or sorts.

w3design
01-07-2011, 03:44 PM
As long as he's accounted for and not injured, I'm happy.

LostDoggy
01-07-2011, 04:29 PM
Given his age I was hoping he would break into our lineup this year. Been OK at Willi but no standout as yet. Maybe another pre-season will see him break into the seniors?

Mantis
01-07-2011, 04:37 PM
Given his age I was hoping he would break into our lineup this year. Been OK at Willi but no standout as yet. Maybe another pre-season will see him break into the seniors?

With his fitness levels being extremely low when he arrived it was always going to take a couple of pre-seasons for him to get his body ready for AFL footy.

Greystache
01-07-2011, 04:41 PM

I don't think the plan was ever for him to play this year. His promotion was both ahead of plan and ahead of him being ready. Not sure what the thinking was behind it.

Drunken Bum
01-07-2011, 06:24 PM
I don't think the plan was ever for him to play this year. His promotion was both ahead of plan and ahead of him being ready. Not sure what the thinking was behind it.

He's not a rookie is he? pretty sure he is on the main list

Greystache
01-07-2011, 07:46 PM
He's not a rookie is he? pretty sure he is on the main list

Promotion to the senior team.

Drunken Bum
01-07-2011, 11:47 PM
Ahh, sorry misread the post

and FWIW i agree 100% now that i actually understand it lol

LostDoggy
02-07-2011, 06:31 PM
If he does not break in next year though will we cut him?

Ghost Dog
02-07-2011, 08:49 PM
stick man. Bound to happen

LostDoggy
04-07-2011, 09:54 PM
Agree 100% with Greystache. He definitely wasn't ready and it was a grab for straws from the MC.

LostDoggy
04-07-2011, 10:24 PM
Liam Jurrah wasn't ready either 2 years ago!!
Could not do any worse than some of our other forwards during the six losses out of seven games period.

Topdog
05-07-2011, 02:05 AM
Liam Jurrah wasn't ready either 2 years ago!!
Could not do any worse than some of our other forwards during the six losses out of seven games period.

Pretty sure we were still planning on playing finals and going for a premiership tilt 10 weeks ago unless our club lied to everyone.

Also disagree that he couldn't do worse than others. He was terrible in his game and simply wasn't ready for the step up.

LostDoggy
05-07-2011, 09:37 AM
He was BOG for Willy the week before his debut!!
Obviously you have been watching a different team when the forward line could not buy a goal!!
You probably said the same thing about Luke Dahl.
Zephi tackles, something our forward line has been poor at until Luke Dahl came in.

The Coon Dog
05-07-2011, 10:53 AM
He was BOG for Willy the week before his debut!!
Obviously you have been watching a different team when the forward line could not buy a goal!!
You probably said the same thing about Luke Dahl.
Zephi tackles, something our forward line has been poor at until Luke Dahl came in.

I hate it when newbies come in & in their 3rd post start slagging off people who been here a while & have a history of not sounding off & potting blokes unnecessarily. Have you got any proof Topdog said that about Dahl?

Raw Toast
05-07-2011, 11:25 AM
I hate it when newbies come in & in their 3rd post start slagging off people who been here a while & have a history of not sounding off & potting blokes unnecessarily. Have you got any proof Topdog said that about Dahl?

Fair enough TCD, but the broader point that Crimmo made is legit - Zephi had been pushing for a place, and I don't think his selection was completely unwarranted.

Eade actually has a history of rewarding promise and talent with a fairly early selection that gives the player a taste of what is required. And he has done this with teams which are aiming more at winning it all than in developing youngsters.

In addition, we clearly had issues with forward pressure which we hoped Skinner might help address.

The Coon Dog
05-07-2011, 11:31 AM
Fair enough TCD, but the broader point that Crimmo made is legit - Zephi had been pushing for a place, and I don't think his selection was completely unwarranted.
RT, that's beside the point, Cial said, 'you probably said the same thing about Dahl'. In other words he's having a go at another poster but doesn't know himself whether that other poster warranted being taken to task, hence the word probably. That was my concern, not whether Zephi did or didn't warrant a game.

bornadog
05-07-2011, 11:31 AM

Eade actually has a history of rewarding promise and talent with a fairly early selection that gives the player a taste of what is required. And he has done this with teams which are aiming more at winning it all than in developing youngsters.

In addition, we clearly had issues with forward pressure which we hoped Skinner might help address.

Thats all good RT but the poster should put their point across without slagging off other posters views.

ledge
05-07-2011, 12:41 PM
Its also easy to say he wasnt ready after the game in hindsight but before the game no one knows.
He had performed at Willy so deserved a game.
I agree on coaches giving players a sniff too to see what they need to do, Grant was one and so was Hooper.
Obviously if Eade is looking for a certain strength for a game he will pick the player he thinks has performed that task best.
If its a first gamer so be it.
Dahlhaus has come through and so has Liberatore, Wallis and Zeph havent yet but it also gives Eade a look at where the problems in these players are in the big league.

Sockeye Salmon
05-07-2011, 12:46 PM

Two weeks before his debut he had been dropped to Willi reserves

bornadog
05-07-2011, 12:50 PM

Doesn't really matter, he got a taste for the big time and hopefully he knows what he needs to do to get himself ready for AFL.

ledge
05-07-2011, 12:54 PM

If I remember rightly Stephen Tiller was chosen out of the reserves and straight into the bulldog side at one stage.
I just wonder sometimes if its regard to making sure they get a full game as the position they are playing is taken up by a non bulldog player.

Sockeye Salmon
05-07-2011, 02:40 PM
If I remember rightly Stephen Tiller was chosen out of the reserves and straight into the bulldog side at one stage.
I just wonder sometimes if its regard to making sure they get a full game as the position they are playing is taken up by a non bulldog player.

Jarrod Harbrow was too, I think. Made his debut in the same game as Tom Williams

Bulldog4life
05-07-2011, 02:50 PM
Thats all good RT but the poster should put their point across without slagging off other posters views.

I think that should apply to all posters, not just the newbies. There has always been slanging matches between some posters...not all.. since I've been on this board...and I presume there always will.

Raw Toast
05-07-2011, 04:04 PM
RT, that's beside the point, Cial said, 'you probably said the same thing about Dahl'. In other words he's having a go at another poster but doesn't know himself whether that other poster warranted being taken to task, hence the word probably. That was my concern, not whether Zephi did or didn't warrant a game.

I agree that posters should not slag others off, but I also think that forums like this one, for all it's wonderfulness, have a tendency to ignore the contributions of newbies unless they are to be condemned. So I thought it was worth noting that the general point made was a decent one, and it would have added value to the discussion had it not also contained a personal sledge which the poster needs to know is not appropriate here.

Happy Days
05-07-2011, 05:17 PM

Agreed. If the poster in question actually looked at the posts on the VFL threads, they would realise that quite the opposite was being said about Dahlhaus; he had to beat the door down before getting a look in.

Zeph getting a game had very little to do with his form. He played one halfway decent game for Williamstown, and got a nonsensical promotion out of it.

ledge
05-07-2011, 05:44 PM
Agreed. If the poster in question actually looked at the posts on the VFL threads, they would realise that quite the opposite was being said about Dahlhaus; he had to beat the door down before getting a look in.

Zeph getting a game had very little to do with his form. He played one halfway decent game for Williamstown, and got a nonsensical promotion out of it.

Can everyone see the VFL thread?

LostDoggy
05-07-2011, 06:17 PM
So to get this thread back on track , we have managed the Z-Man quite well in regards to his transition to the Club , we allowed him back home on the West Coast game and he came back with the team ( a bit quiet on the plane though ) , he apparently went home for his birthday , no problems there . As far as him as a player goes , its just a matter of a solid fitness base and some more muscle , he is reading the play better , he does try to mark the ball with hard hands but again he is getting better , his hands are softer when he has a good straight lead doesn't jump for the ball and marks it on his chest , in pack or contest where he jumps his timing can be slightly off and he will snatch or grab for the ball rather than let it come closer so he can pull it in , he can switch off a bit and his defensive pressure isn,t up to standard but overall he is learning and improving and that is all thats required of him . Yes , the use of him as the Sub may have been premature in some peoples eyes but in reality it was important for him mentally so he now has a clear benchmark of the work required to reach that level on a week to week basis. If he can win a Premiership with Williamstown and get a solid pre-season with a few extra kilos he will be in the mix next year for sure , having said that Z-Man has to do the work and he has to want it enough he does the work required , over to you Z-Man

LostDoggy
08-07-2011, 10:21 PM
Winning premiership with Willy is irrelevant, developing his game is the key. He has talent and attributes our forward line has been lacking in recent years-speed and defensive pressure. Worth the punt at pick 80 odd.

GVGjr
08-07-2011, 10:26 PM
Winning premiership with Willy is irrelevant, developing his game is the key. He has talent and attributes our forward line has been lacking in recent years-speed and defensive pressure. Worth the punt at pick 80 odd.

Certainly worth a punt as he does have the athleticism and as you say the sort of defensive pressure we need but I wonder if getting players from the more traditional pathway might serve us better in the long run?

gohardorgohome
08-07-2011, 10:38 PM
Zeph got to play a bit over one quarter as a sub. Gut feel he was played early with the intention to give him a taste of AFL footy. He'll now know how much work he need tommake the grade.

Glad to see the club is letting him get back to his people to keep in touch.

It must be a huge change moving to Melbourne.

Hopefully Zeph is one of the indigenous players that can aclimatise in Melbourne, train hard and get fit enough to consistently play AFL footy.

Id love to see he dogs have a guy with as much flair as Jurrah putting on a show for us every week.

Greystache
08-07-2011, 10:49 PM

He seems to have talent and I agree pick 80 is a small outlay, but its curious that recruiters are willing to take a punt on a player from an obscure background with obvious deficiencies with a view to developing them, yet a gun player from the standard elite junior programs are often written off by recruiters due to having a percieved weakness or two. Is it more glamorous for recruiters to be seen to be finding players from obscure places?

gohardorgohome
09-07-2011, 09:10 AM
He seems to have talent and I agree pick 80 is a small outlay, but its curious that recruiters are willing to take a punt on a player from an obscure background with obvious deficiencies with a view to developing them, yet a gun player from the standard elite junior programs are often written off by recruiters due to having a percieved weakness or two. Is it more glamorous for recruiters to be seen to be finding players from obscure places?

When it gets to the later picks I'd think there would be no true formula. Id say our recruiters Zeph would be perceived as having more potential for improvement than a regular player in the under 18 system.... Worth a punt at a much lower price than a Jesse Wells or Brad Murphy.

Bulldog Joe
09-07-2011, 12:05 PM

The so called gun from the elite junior programme has had everything exposed. Work ethic, training and skill development. This also includes some elite testing which indicates the level of endurance they may be able to develop. In short it is easier for recruiters to know the limits on the up side.

Those from the obscure background outside the elite development will always have more natural improvement available if they can handle the elite system.

Greystache
09-07-2011, 01:58 PM
The so called gun from the elite junior programme has had everything exposed. Work ethic, training and skill development. This also includes some elite testing which indicates the level of endurance they may be able to develop. In short it is easier for recruiters to know the limits on the up side.

Those from the obscure background outside the elite development will always have more natural improvement available if they can handle the elite system.

I guess what I was alluding to was is there an element of "group think" among recruiters? An example this year is Dahlhaus, he made the Vic country team, made the TAC cup team of the year, and clearly had some AFL quality attributes, yet he was overlooked by everyone in the draft because they felt he had a couple of weaknesses. The couple of AFL rcruiters i asked about him said, "well, he's a bit short, and we weren't too sure about his kicking so we decided to pass on him". Pretty flimsy reasons to overlook an elite junior player. It just seems to me recruiters are often too focussed on finding the hidden gem, not nrcessarily referring to Skinner of course.

The Bulldogs Bite
09-07-2011, 03:36 PM
Zeph got to play a bit over one quarter as a sub. Gut feel he was played early with the intention to give him a taste of AFL footy. He'll now know how much work he need tommake the grade.

Glad to see the club is letting him get back to his people to keep in touch.

It must be a huge change moving to Melbourne.

Hopefully Zeph is one of the indigenous players that can aclimatise in Melbourne, train hard and get fit enough to consistently play AFL footy.

Id love to see he dogs have a guy with as much flair as Jurrah putting on a show for us every week.

I'd hope that guy would play more than one good game in a four week span.

Jurrah is overrated.

immortalmike
09-07-2011, 07:49 PM

Jurrah is overrated.

Very very overrated.

Topdog
09-07-2011, 08:54 PM

Jurrah is overrated.

and not just try and take mark of the year every time the ball is kicked to him.