PDA

View Full Version : Bulldogs to lodge complaint - Callan Ward

G-Mo77
29-06-2011, 10:39 AM
http://mm.afl.com.au/Portals/0/images/AFL/AFL%20U-Z/Callan246b.jpg

THE WESTERN Bulldogs will lodge an official complaint with the AFL following an approach by Greater Western Sydney towards young midfielder Callan Ward.

Ward has confirmed he was approached by GWS officials just under a fortnight ago where they offered him a five-year deal reportedly worth almost $5 million, The Australian reports.

The Bulldogs' football operations manager James Fantasia will now take the matter up directly with the AFL, believing the approach violates League rules regarding player poaching.

Earlier in the week, Callan's mother Kerri was quoted in The Age regarding the difficult decision her son faced in choosing loyalty or riches.

Ward is believed to have been told he has two weeks to decide whether to take up the lucrative offer.

Ward, 20, was drafted at No.19 in the 2007 NAB AFL Draft and has played 51 games for the Bulldogs.

http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/default.aspx?newsid=117359

Desipura
29-06-2011, 10:45 AM
I know for a fact that he has still not yet decided what he is going to do.

Cyberdoggie
29-06-2011, 10:56 AM
It's a joke isn't it.

That sort of money should be aimed at clubs like Collingwood for Swan, Pendlebury, Thomas. For some reason they are immune to GWS poaching but Ward who is an up and coming but by no means elite player of the league gets offered this much money just because he would be mad to refuse it.

I understand the need for GWS to get some kind of a side of experienced players but if this type of action is allowed to occur you may as well just call it the Australian premier league where the rich clubs just buy the best of the poorer clubs so they are always on top.

I thought this was a thing of the past in the AFL but obviously not. :mad:

Grantysghost
29-06-2011, 11:03 AM
So if Ward doesn't agree they move to Wood, then Roughead and so on until they snare someone. For that cash it seems inevitable that one of our young talents will be moving by years end.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
29-06-2011, 11:23 AM
So if Ward doesn't agree they move to Wood, then Roughead and so on until they snare someone. For that cash it seems inevitable that one of our young talents will be moving by years end.

Roughead is contracted til end of 2012. GWS would be scoping him now but can only pick him up at the end of next year. It would appear that Ward & Wood are the only ones in the immediate sights of GWS for this season. Great if we can keep both, but probably realistic to expect to lose one.

neddie
29-06-2011, 01:36 PM
$5 million! He'd be a fool if he did not take it. Goodbye Ward!

LostDoggy
29-06-2011, 01:36 PM
Sweet, lets see how many more distractions we can muster up before Friday nights game!

westdog54
29-06-2011, 03:11 PM
Great to see that the club is simply not just lying down and copping this outrage. The underhanded way that GWS has gone about their recruiting is very concerning. I just hope their 'take it or leave it' approach gets them shot in the foot once or twice.

LostDoggy
29-06-2011, 04:17 PM
Demetrio's response wasn't encouraging - looks like the AFL are not keen to probe too deeply into this. Can someone tell me why GWS would want to pay Callan $1M per year in the first place? Really annoys me that the Collingwoods, Carltons and Essendons seem to be immune to the new clubs coming in but we cop it between the eyes.

Sockeye Salmon
29-06-2011, 04:28 PM
Demetrio's response wasn't encouraging - looks like the AFL are not keen to probe too deeply into this. Can someone tell me why GWS would want to pay Callan $1M per year in the first place? Really annoys me that the Collingwoods, Carltons and Essendons seem to be immune to the new clubs coming in but we cop it between the eyes.

Because the salary cap is too easily circumvented and money alone won't pull players from these clubs, they'll get it anyway.

It's the same reason why free agency will kill us.

Desipura
29-06-2011, 04:52 PM
If you are a good player, the Collingwood brand will ensure you are well looked after when you retire.
Everyone knows their players, they are always on tv, they get well looked after by the club through endoresements/facilities, all because everyone wants to sponsor the most popular footy club in Australia.
Why would a player want to leave that club?
Sure GWS can offer bucket loads of money however what could GWS offer Pendelbury post career?
Pies will offer their players a decent amount of money and post career, they will get looked after.
I cant think of any player in the last 10 years that has left the club against Collingwood's wishes.

aker39
29-06-2011, 05:23 PM
I cant think of any player in the last 10 years that has left the club against their wishes.

Nick Davis
Heath Scotland
Chris Tarrant

LostDoggy
29-06-2011, 05:40 PM
Still doesn't answer why GWS would want to pay Callan $1M - I love the way the kid goes about it, but he is no Chris Judd

Sockeye Salmon
29-06-2011, 06:03 PM
This will be about as useless as complaining about your wife to your mother-in-law

Desipura
29-06-2011, 08:29 PM
Nick Davis
Heath Scotland
Chris Tarrant

I meant against the clubs wishes

ledge
29-06-2011, 08:47 PM
If proven and against the rules arent they banned from getting that player?
Good thing about this is he is showing loyalty already by coming clean on an approach.
GWS wont be happy.
What are the actual rules for the new club and chasing possible recruits?

Ghost Dog
29-06-2011, 09:31 PM
Tonight I saw Chris Judd heading into Crown.
Wonder where all his extra dollars go.

What's the good of all that money anyway?
He may as well stay and collect the social capital that pours in.
A man only needs so much of it.
Stick around Callan.

westdog54
29-06-2011, 09:55 PM
What's the good of all that money anyway?
He may as well stay and collect the social capital that pours in.
A man only needs so much of it.
Stick around Callan.

A few years ago, The Footy Show had Harry Kewell and Mark Viduka on when they were both in their prime. The conversation turned to their giant salaries and Sam Newman posed the question 'What could you do with all that money?' Harry coolly replied 'well, what couldn't you do with it really?'

Its getting to that stage slowly but shrely.

Having said that, I think we're a better chance of holding onto Callan than we ever were of keeping Jarrod Harbrow last year. I think the offer would have to be a very complete package for him to go.

Sockeye Salmon
29-06-2011, 10:17 PM
Does it really matter? If it's not Ward it will be Wood and if it's not Wood it will be someone else.

The Underdog
29-06-2011, 10:39 PM
Does it really matter? If it's not Ward it will be Wood and if it's not Wood it will be someone else.

It matter's if that someone else is Brennan Stack

Sockeye Salmon
29-06-2011, 10:43 PM
It matter's if that someone else is Brennan Stack

I'm almost prepared to accept they won't give Stackie $1m/year

LostDoggy
30-06-2011, 12:06 AM
I'm almost prepared to accept they won't give Stackie $1m/year

Throw a few more depth players in as a top up...

Raw Toast
30-06-2011, 12:44 AM

Yes - Ward is more important (in my opinion) at the moment than Wood, and so on down the scale. They'll do their best to get someone, and probably will, but we obviously have a preference of who they get despite the fact that probably everyone on their list will be someone we really, really don't want to lose.

Topdog
30-06-2011, 12:51 AM
Good to see Andy D basically call Ward and his mum liars.

Remi Moses
30-06-2011, 01:56 AM
To be expected, It's the AFL's love child.
Let's hope it's as ugly as the scenery is in West Sydney!
The game's gone mad and I agree that free agency is big trouble for the poor clubs.
Tend to disagree with the fact just because you play with the pies you're set for life.
Messers Johnson, Smith, Grant and Darcy have done quite well during and post football,reckon it's the quality of the player that helps post footy.

Desipura
30-06-2011, 06:51 AM
To be expected, It's the AFL's love child.
Let's hope it's as ugly as the scenery is in West Sydney!
The game's gone mad and I agree that free agency is big trouble for the poor clubs.
Tend to disagree with the fact just because you play with the pies you're set for life.
Messers Johnson, Smith, Grant and Darcy have done quite well during and post football,reckon it's the quality of the player that helps post footy.

More doors open at Collingwood post career, businesses want a piece of the publicity that they get.

LostDoggy
30-06-2011, 01:39 PM
Good to see Andy D basically call Ward and his mum liars.

Yeah, I heard him on SEN yesterday. Really p***ed me off. Like Callan would just make it all up. :rolleyes:

Mantis
30-06-2011, 02:15 PM
More doors open at Collingwood post career, businesses want a piece of the publicity that they get.

Can you give me some examples of players who have benefitted in their post footy career professions only because they played at Collingwood?

aker39
30-06-2011, 02:46 PM
Can you give me some examples of players who have benefitted in their post footy career professions only because they played at Collingwood?

Tony Shaw - one of the worst commentators going around

LostDoggy
30-06-2011, 02:50 PM
I have no idea and I suppose its all guess now. Would Craig Kelly have started his business had he not been at collingwood? Michael Christain in tv? Gary Pert at channel 9.
Thinking about it Gary pert is the best example

Mantis
30-06-2011, 02:59 PM
Tony Shaw - one of the worst commentators going around

Could the same be said of Doug Hawkins who has spent the past 15 or so years in and around the media.

I have no idea and I suppose its all guess now. Would Craig Kelly have started his business had he not been at collingwood? Michael Christain in tv? Gary Pert at channel 9.
Thinking about it Gary pert is the best example

Would Simon Garlick by our CEO if he didn't play for the club?

Just saying...

LostDoggy
30-06-2011, 03:17 PM
Could the same be said of Doug Hawkins who has spent the past 15 or so years in and around the media.

Just saying...

Its possible for Simon Garlick to have been a CEO as he is a quite learned fellow. He was high at LeasePlan and AFLPA before that. Ceo at another club- maybe.
I doubt Gary Pert would have got a gig at Channel 9 had Eddie not been there.

LostDoggy
30-06-2011, 04:12 PM

Just saying...

Dougie was a champion.

LostDoggy
30-06-2011, 05:00 PM
Pert was Running Austereo before 9

So i am sure its safe to say his Business background had more to do with getting the 9 job then playing for Collingwood

LostDoggy
30-06-2011, 05:18 PM
Pert was Running Austereo before 9

So i am sure its safe to say his Business background had more to do with getting the 9 job then playing for Collingwood
Was Eddie at MMM then too? No doubt he got the 9 job cause of Eddie.

Desipura
30-06-2011, 08:49 PM

Michael Christian and Peter Daicos still has sponsors. How many players have they lost reluctantly? None