bornadog
30-06-2011, 06:03 PM
Ins Markovic, Grant, Reid and Hooper;

Outs Sherman (suspended), Minson, Schofield & Howard

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/teams.jpg

LostDoggy
30-06-2011, 06:06 PM
Hooper?

I know he had four goals on the weekend, but didn't think he was traveling that well.

DragzLS1
30-06-2011, 06:06 PM
Sound interesting would be good to see what happens under the etihad roof tommorow night..

azabob
30-06-2011, 06:08 PM
No second ruck is concerning.

Templeton31
30-06-2011, 06:08 PM
Minson bit unlucky I wouldve thought....

LostDoggy
30-06-2011, 06:10 PM
Here we go with one ruckman who can only handle 70% game time again:mad:

Bulldog4life
30-06-2011, 06:11 PM
Minson bit unlucky I wouldve thought....

I agree. I thought he played better than Hudson.

Bulldog Joe
30-06-2011, 06:11 PM
No second ruck is concerning.

Obviously decided on Barlow as the relief ruck.

Another BOG for Will at Willi, when we want Cordy and Roughead developing.

comrade
30-06-2011, 06:12 PM
Hudson over Minson? We're really backing the old war horse in, aren't we? Does that mean Barlow will be given a crack in the ruck?

Reid comes in but no inside mid comes out? I hope we win the clearances or we could be (slowly) chasing tail all night.

Some interesting selections. I'm not exactly filled with confidence.

LostDoggy
30-06-2011, 06:15 PM
Hudson over Minson? We're really backing the old war horse in, aren't we? Does that mean Barlow will be given a crack in the ruck?

Reid comes in but no inside mid comes out? I hope we win the clearances or we could be (slowly) chasing tail all night.

I would have given Cross a spell.

It's a little confusing to me & i really don't know which direction Rocket is taking the team, some inclusions & omissions still baffle me.

BulldogBelle
30-06-2011, 06:16 PM

I would have backed a younger ruckman in Minson to play as the sole ruck better than Hudson

So Barlow, Markovic or Williams play as the 2nd ruck?

Drunken Bum
30-06-2011, 06:21 PM
I for the life of me cannot see the sense in playing Hudson over Minson. If there was a big difference between the two sure i understand then but the difference in form is negligible and arguably Minsons form has been better when played as first ruck.
Minson has been played out of position as he is clearly a first ruck, not a forward but has been sacrificed up forward because he is better there than Hudson. Huddo will not be playing next year and Minno will be our no.1 ruck for at least 2 years i would have thought while Cordy and Roughie develop and earn the right to take it from him. It makes no sense to drop Minson ahead of Huddo at all :/

SlimPickens
30-06-2011, 06:24 PM
Good to see Marko, Hoops and Grant get another crack. Really disappointed that we persist with Gilbee, he was very ordinary last week. Would have thought that Howard or Schofiled would have been a better option.

The Bulldogs Bite
30-06-2011, 06:25 PM
Some strange selections.

Reid cannot play in the same side as Cross, Boyd and Ward. It doesn't work - we're slow enough as it is. Hill or Tutt would have been my choices, especially with no Sherman.

I had a suspicion Hooper might get a game given our forward line woes. Hopefully he goes OK, along with Grant.

LostDoggy
30-06-2011, 06:27 PM
Hudson usually plays well against Jamar, maybe that's why he was preferred over Minson.

Ozza
30-06-2011, 06:33 PM
Really, Sam Reid in again.
I'll watch with baited breath.

Axe Man
30-06-2011, 06:34 PM
I keep reading about Barlow being a potential backup ruckman - has anyone ever seen him play in the ruck? I'm not saying he won't play there, I just can't quite picture it. He's about the same height as Morris and Hargrave and doesn't seem to possess any great leap that I have noticed.

Maybe Cross could play the backup ruck role, loves to get a hitout as third man up!:D

LostDoggy
30-06-2011, 06:36 PM
Obviously the coach thinks we can play finals.

LostDoggy
30-06-2011, 06:38 PM
Really, Sam Reid in again.
I'll watch with baited breath.

Wonder what the odds would be?

westbulldog
30-06-2011, 06:39 PM
I hope I'm wrong but this team looks suspect. Will Minson hasn't done that badly, wouldn't blame him for looking to GWS. Good luck to Huddo against Jamar and Martin.
Howard and Schofield out - why ? Cross still in - why ? On paper we may get hammered, lets hope not........

Sedat
30-06-2011, 06:40 PM
I hope we win the clearances or we could be (slowly) chasing tail all night.
That's Melbourne's Achilles Heel (especially at Etihad) so I guess the rationale is to blunt Jamar's effectiveness and also work over their younger mids over the course of 120 minutes. I agree that it leaves us very light on for run and spread, but I don't mind the horses for courses philosophy (just not sure about the actual changes that have been made). What I am happy about is that we made multiple changes following the short week and the travel interstate to a humid venue - we were running on the spot late last week so we needed a freshen up of personnel.

Schofield very stiff from what I saw last week.

comrade
30-06-2011, 06:46 PM
What I am happy about is that we made multiple changes following the short week and the travel interstate to a humid venue - we were running on the spot late last week so we needed a freshen up of personnel.

Schofield very stiff from what I saw last week.

Maybe Schofield struggled to get up after the GC game?

GVGjr
30-06-2011, 06:50 PM
Maybe Schofield struggled to get up after the GC game?

If he is playing for Williamstown then it's safe to assume he's been omitted.

LostDoggy
30-06-2011, 06:54 PM
Happy with the selections, particularly with Markovic.

But agree with the ruck, can only assume Barlow will be rested up forward.

Go_Dogs
30-06-2011, 06:59 PM

Yep, looks like Barlow will be back up. I'm not against giving that a go, but I would have preferred Minson as the 1st ruck.

Reid is an interesting one. It appears as though we feel we have a contested ball advantage in the middle and want to further exploit it. I guess this is just about his last chance to make an impression to the list management to be retained next year too.

Disappointed to see Howard out, didn't do much as sub last week but thought his overall form had been ok and trending upwards. Schofield out is probably about right. We've said all along the younger players will be rotated, he's had his taste and if his VFL form demands I'm sure he'll be back soon enough.

Grant and Markovic in I'm relatively OK with.

If Hooper has a high intensity, defensive game in the forward line and nabs a goal or 2 that will be a good result too.

Would have liked to see Tutt get a run, hopefully soon enough.

If he is playing for Williamstown then it's safe to assume he's been omitted.

As above, I think possibly he's been rotated. Hopefully he can play some good footy at the level below and demand a recall.

Rocco Jones
30-06-2011, 07:00 PM
I'm pretty happy with the selections but I really feel for Minson.

He really suffers from Hudson's limitations having to play in the 2nd ruck/forward role due to being less crap at it than Hudson. That being said, I am glad we have dropped one of them.

Markovic selection is a bit of a must IMO. We are short down forward and I really think Wood needs to be freed up.

A worry I have is Reid running out an AFL game. Even as a sub I think he needs to be regularly rotated.

LostDoggy
30-06-2011, 07:09 PM
Great to see young guys coming in to the side.
Poor seeing young guys go out.

Why Hudson over Minson? Howard should have stayed in.

Bulldog Joe
30-06-2011, 07:11 PM
I keep reading about Barlow being a potential backup ruckman - has anyone ever seen him play in the ruck? I'm not saying he won't play there, I just can't quite picture it. He's about the same height as Morris and Hargrave and doesn't seem to possess any great leap that I have noticed.

Maybe Cross could play the backup ruck role, loves to get a hitout as third man up!:D

Barlow has played some VFL in the ruck.

He is actually 196cm, which is about the same as Tom Williams (and Luke Darcy) and significantly taller than Hargrave and Morris.

LostDoggy
30-06-2011, 07:19 PM
One ruckman again... now that really works
Get on Jamar to be BOG

Dog54
30-06-2011, 07:30 PM
I think hooper must play the entire game and put on forward pressure. Melbourne struggle with the press and over handball. Barlow can back up Hudson and may give us more flexibility in the midfield. He may play the role we envisaged everitt to play before being traded. I think the reason Hudson has been kept over minsons is his contested possession attributes an area dees also struggle. Reids last chance in my opinion!

Remi Moses
30-06-2011, 07:47 PM
Against an AA ruckman we drop a ruckman!
Baffling as per the norm this season.:eek:

Pickenitup
30-06-2011, 07:53 PM
Jamar did spend most of the Game up Forward last week so i would expect the same this week
especially the 2nd game back after a long lay off players tend to struggle.
I would have preferred big Will to stay in ahead of Huddo .

stefoid
30-06-2011, 08:00 PM

Barlow: I expect he'll be rubbish at stoppages, but give us cox-like numbers through the midfield. In theory.

Hooper: experimental. We know we are going to retain schofield and howard. Are we going to retain hooper? Play him and find out -- playing for his career, possibly.

Grant & Marcovic: obvious choices.

LostDoggy
30-06-2011, 08:06 PM
One ruckman again... now that really works
Get on Jamar to be BOG

Jamar was good last week. Can't see that changing this week either.

Rocco Jones
30-06-2011, 08:08 PM
This is how I see our ruck issue.

Hudson/Minson + Barlow as 2nd ruck= crap
Hudson + Minson= very crap

Sockeye Salmon
30-06-2011, 08:10 PM
Hooper: experimental. We know we are going to retain schofield and howard. Are we going to retain hooper? Play him and find out -- playing for his career, possibly.

Contracted for 2012

ledge
30-06-2011, 08:12 PM
Happy to see Hoops in, he is hard at the ball and has been doing well at VFL level, I think he has what it takes just needs more games.

Desipura
30-06-2011, 08:42 PM
Fair chance Minson won't get best in the firsts, they at least got that call correct. If they are not going to play him in the ruck, he should not be in the team

Mofra
30-06-2011, 09:28 PM
He is 196cm - much taller than either Morris or Shaggy, and 3cm taller than Wayde Skipper.

He's a running midfielder playign in a KPP's body: I thought he's been more than handy playing the high forward/attacking midfielder role.

1eyedog
30-06-2011, 10:02 PM
Gee Barlow moves well for a big fellow. I like the team, good even spread of insiders will hopefully take pressure off Cooney and Griffen and they can use their run.

AndrewP6
30-06-2011, 10:10 PM
He is 196cm - much taller than either Morris or Shaggy, and 3cm taller than Wayde Skipper.

He's a running midfielder playign in a KPP's body: I thought he's been more than handy playing the high forward/attacking midfielder role.

191cm according to the WB site - although their accuracy isn't always spot on!

EDIT: just found him on Wikipedia at 196cm...boo WB sitemaster!

LostDoggy
30-06-2011, 10:17 PM

I wouldn't trust wikipedia either, lol.

Greystache
30-06-2011, 10:18 PM
Sydney had him listed as 195cm, I'd be more inclined to believe Sydney's website than ours.

http://www.sydneyswans.com.au/players/playerprofile/edbarlow/tabid/8472/playerid/14508/category/past/season/2011/selected/bio/default.aspx

AndrewP6
30-06-2011, 10:19 PM
I wouldn't trust wikipedia either, lol.

That's for sure. Just for a laugh (after a few drinks!) I edited Mal Lynch's page after he was delisted, to say that he'd shuffled off the mortal coil. It took them about a week to change it back:eek:

Cruel, I know, but I laughed at the time.

Dogmatic
30-06-2011, 11:33 PM
I for the life of me cannot see the sense in playing Hudson over Minson. If there was a big difference between the two sure i understand then but the difference in form is negligible and arguably Minsons form has been better when played as first ruck.
Minson has been played out of position as he is clearly a first ruck, not a forward but has been sacrificed up forward because he is better there than Hudson. Huddo will not be playing next year and Minno will be our no.1 ruck for at least 2 years i would have thought while Cordy and Roughie develop and earn the right to take it from him. It makes no sense to drop Minson ahead of Huddo at all :/

I absolutely agree!

Minnow is our man....he should be our number 1 ruck from this point on. He does well up forward but he is spending too much game time there. Give him the ruck responsibility and he will flourish.

Dry Rot
01-07-2011, 12:13 AM
That's for sure. Just for a laugh (after a few drinks!) I edited Mal Lynch's page after he was delisted, to say that he'd shuffled off the mortal coil. It took them about a week to change it back:eek:

Cruel, I know, but I laughed at the time.

I laughed now when I read this. :D

LostDoggy
01-07-2011, 12:54 AM
Hooper imo is a solid VFL player. But don;t think he is at AFL level and will never be at that level.

I really hope I'm wrong, would love to have him kick a few goals from the pocket

G-Mo77
01-07-2011, 01:51 AM
As most of you are doing I'm scratching my head at the Minson omission. I don't understand the Howard omission either, sub player and gets dropped, pretty disappointing. Hudson and Gilbee continue to hold their place over them, if we lose this week I'd like to see these 2 phased out altogether and work for 2012. Sorry if it sounds harsh but that is the cruel reality. I'm happy to argue that this should be happening now.

Grant, Markovic, Hooper and Reid played very well in the VFL last week so good to see them all rewarded.

The Bulldogs Bite
01-07-2011, 02:14 AM
Hooper imo is a solid VFL player. But don;t think he is at AFL level and will never be at that level.

I really hope I'm wrong, would love to have him kick a few goals from the pocket

Tend to agree from what I've seen.

He's not very quick or agile and doesn't play a role as a crumber. I know he tested well at draft camp, but that 'pace' hasn't translated over to his games.

Smart player, just doesn't have the right body/skill set for AFL IMO.

the banker
01-07-2011, 07:33 AM
What is the forums thoughts on midfield match ups? Given their potential ruck advantage will we try to negate Maloney and Scully with Cross and Picken?

Who goes to Sylvia? Is there a specific role for Reid?

If Boyd, Griffen and Cooney have strong games I like our chances.

As usual the centre break outcome will be critical at Etihad.

Mofra
01-07-2011, 10:17 AM
As most of you are doing I'm scratching my head at the Minson omission. I don't understand the Howard omission either, sub player and gets dropped, pretty disappointing.
He was unlucky to be dropped the first time - thought he did ok in his first two matches (was pleasantly surprised really - has come a long way since even the 2011 intra-club).

Axe Man
01-07-2011, 10:33 AM
Barlow has played some VFL in the ruck.

He is actually 196cm, which is about the same as Tom Williams (and Luke Darcy) and significantly taller than Hargrave and Morris.

Yeah I was going off the Bulldogs site which has him listed as 191. Should have know better than to trust those figures.

Ozza
01-07-2011, 10:42 AM
Really a bit lost with the selection this week.
Reid and Hooper makes us a slower side - neither find the ball a great deal - and neither address any of our deficiencies.

Plus we are going in against one of the better ruck combinations in the league - with Hudson who may well be gone, and perhaps Barlow, Williams and Jones pinch hitting - none of which give me any confidence of us being able to get first use.

Just have to hope Griffen, Murphy and Boyd can get enough of it to drag us over the line.

Mantis
01-07-2011, 11:43 AM
As with others I'm a little baffled by this weeks selection.

I thought Schofield looked ok last week, used the ball efficiently and competed well against taller opponents... Unless he is sore he should be playing ahead of Gilbee.

The Minson exclusion for a non ruckman is a strange call.... I agree that Will can't be in the team as a forward/ ruck, but we do need someone to fill that role be it Roughy or Cordy. We will need Hudson to run himself into the ground this week which I don't think he is capable of doing. I hope that Barlow isn't used in the ruck that often as he showed some good signs when positioned on the wing and think he does his best work as an outside player.

Agree with others in questioning what Hooper & Reid bring to the team that we don't already have and wonder what Howard did wrong in his quarter of footy to get dumped??

We await tonights performance.

LongWait
01-07-2011, 12:19 PM
I hope that Barlow doesn't ruck tonight and get smashed by two quality AFL standard ruckman. Barlow's confidence must be on the rise after several decent AFL performances and I'd hate to see it dented severely tonight. Barlow is not a Leigh Brown type, who is more suited to the part-time ruck duties. Brown is "the anvil" whereas Barlow has been characterised as more like a marshmellow. Let's not throw him to the wolves tonight.

BulldogBelle
01-07-2011, 12:19 PM
Guess we are trying to exploits Melbourne's poor clearance work, and play some slower harder bodies - and probably try to knock the stuffing out of them on the smaller Etihad ground

Dont agree with Hudson playing #1 ruck over Minson...especially against Jamar

Not playing Howard or Schofield and playing Gilbee, again perplexing

1eyedog
01-07-2011, 03:34 PM
I'm really glad that Grant comes in and we are playing both Jones and Grant. Whoever gets Rivers it will free up the other and I think they could take advantage and hopefully hurt them on the scoreboard.

1eyedog
01-07-2011, 03:53 PM
Who will Jones go to? Cooney or Griffen? I don't rate Jones as a negater, he just plays like an inside mid. I think Melbourne's biggest issue is that they don't have a genuine stopper. I feel Cooney and Griffen are going to have big nights.

^^^^^^^^^^^^ sorry I didn't realise I was the last poster as well.

Maddog37
01-07-2011, 03:57 PM
Isn't Jordy McKenzie or Bartrim their stopper types?

BulldogBelle
01-07-2011, 04:20 PM

Interesting comment.

l was at 'Bulldoze the debt' a Crown the other week when l met someone heavily involed with the players at Willy - can't remember who he was as l had had a few. One thing l do remember him saying was that Hooper would not make it in the AFL.

LostDoggy
01-07-2011, 04:26 PM
Anyone think Gilbee will play forward tonight?

Greystache
01-07-2011, 04:40 PM
Anyone think Gilbee will play forward tonight?

Not with Howard and Schofield out. I'd be in favour of it but not with both Reid and Hooper in the side.

Nuggety Back Pocket
01-07-2011, 06:49 PM
As with others I'm a little baffled by this weeks selection.

I thought Schofield looked ok last week, used the ball efficiently and competed well against taller opponents... Unless he is sore he should be playing ahead of Gilbee.

The Minson exclusion for a non ruckman is a strange call.... I agree that Will can't be in the team as a forward/ ruck, but we do need someone to fill that role be it Roughy or Cordy. We will need Hudson to run himself into the ground this week which I don't think he is capable of doing. I hope that Barlow isn't used in the ruck that often as he showed some good signs when positioned on the wing and think he does his best work as an outside player.

Agree with others in questioning what Hooper & Reid bring to the team that we don't already have and wonder what Howard did wrong in his quarter of footy to get dumped??

We await tonights performance.
We must be the only Afl club that continues to experiment with one ruckman.
Roughead needs to be included for the remainder of the season. Little point in playing Reid who has never looked good enough at senior level. Roughead instead of Reid would have made more sense.

GVGjr
01-07-2011, 06:53 PM
We must be the only Afl club that continues to experiment with one ruckman.
Roughead needs to be included for the remainder of the season. Little point in playing Reid who has never looked good enough at senior level. Roughead instead of Reid would have made more sense.

I don 't get the logic behind it.

The Pie Man
01-07-2011, 07:15 PM
Twitter rumour from Sam Landsburger is Hall out, Will in

chef
01-07-2011, 07:20 PM
Twitter rumour from Sam Landsburger is Hall out, Will in

I'm happy with that.

divvydan
01-07-2011, 07:21 PM
No late changes to either team tonight. Subs are Reid and Blease.

GVGjr
01-07-2011, 07:22 PM
The one ruck man ploy. Sounds like a late change might be in play.

The Pie Man
01-07-2011, 07:24 PM
I'm happy with that.

Seems it's not the case, my bad. Will hold on posting twitter rumours :o

SlimPickens
01-07-2011, 07:59 PM
Liam Jones with a shin guard on, guess that answers the question of second ruck

GVGjr
01-07-2011, 08:12 PM
Liam Jones with a shin guard on, guess that answers the question of second ruck

I don't like the idea of Jones spending much time in the ruck especially in the centre square mainly because he hasn't been used in that capacity at Wiliamstown. I would have thought that Barlow and Markovic would be better prepared for that.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
01-07-2011, 08:23 PM
I don't like the idea of Jones spending much time in the ruck especially in the centre square mainly because he hasn't been used in that capacity at Wiliamstown. I would have thought that Barlow and Markovic would be better prepared for that.

Me too, but moreso from the potential for injury.
Having taken many years to have on our list a potential long term key forward, I would hate for him to be injured in a ruck contest. Given his inexperience in the role and his still slight frame I think this increases the chance for injury.

LostDoggy
02-07-2011, 12:20 AM
Hudson usually plays well against Jamar, maybe that's why he was preferred over Minson.

Jamar had 6 possessions compared to Huddo's 12. No idea on the taps but a lot people questioned why he was chosen ahead a Minson and here is the answer.
From memory last year he got 3 brownlow votes in the same game.

Drunken Bum
02-07-2011, 12:24 AM
Jamar had 6 possessions compared to Huddo's 12. No idea on the taps but a lot people questioned why he was chosen ahead a Minson and here is the answer.
From memory last year he got 3 brownlow votes in the same game.

Hats off to Huddo, he played a good game and i am happy for him, he has always been one of my faves. That being said i still believe Minson should have played for all the reasons previously posted. Hindsight doesn't change that for me. Who is to say Minno wouldn't have done the same job or better.

Before I Die
02-07-2011, 12:38 AM
Hats off to Huddo, he played a good game and i am happy for him, he has always been one of my faves. That being said i still believe Minson should have played for all the reasons previously posted. Hindsight doesn't change that for me. Who is to say Minno wouldn't have done the same job or better.

Anf if Minno had played and played well, would you have also posed the same question in Hudson's favour?

Questioning the MC's selection choices and then arguing the alternative may have still been more successful means you can never be wrong and they can never be right.

Drunken Bum
02-07-2011, 12:44 AM
Fair call but i already gave my reasons on why i thought Minson should have been picked earlier in the thread, the fact that Hudson played a good game doesn't change that. While it worked out i still believe that it was the wrong decision. If Minson and Hudsons form are close to par and we are only going to play one, it should be Minson playing everytime unless his form drops right off or Hudsons form means we can't not pick him.

Just my opinion

Desipura
02-07-2011, 09:26 AM

Before last night I would have agreed with you. His leap combined with his long reach ensured he got his hand on the ball at centre bounces. I thought he really acquitted himself well in the ruck which enabled him to get in the play more.
I think we may have discovered another string to Liams bow, enables us to go in with an extra runner.

always right
02-07-2011, 11:50 AM
Seems the MC took into account Hudson's record against Jamar.....and they were spot on. He dominated the Melbourne rucks. The MC got a lot right last night and should be commended.

LongWait
02-07-2011, 12:25 PM
Seems the MC took into account Hudson's record against Jamar.....and they were spot on. He dominated the Melbourne rucks. The MC got a lot right last night and should be commended.

I agree - I wasn't keen on playing only one ruckman but the MC were proven right on this occasion. Jones might just be our Leigh Brown.

LostDoggy
02-07-2011, 01:01 PM
Jones looked at home in the ruck