PDA

View Full Version : Round #15 - Slaps and Sledges

GVGjr
01-07-2011, 06:20 PM
For those who aren't familiar with the Slaps and Sledges thread:

A slap on the back for a job well done by 2 players. (not to be confused with the Woof Player Awards (http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=9023))
This can be a passage of player or even a spirited effort.

A sledge to two players that let down the team. Try and make this constructive critique and not just overly critical.

Provide us with your thoughts on this afternoons game against the Melbourne Demons.

comrade
02-07-2011, 12:05 AM
Slaps

Our defensive pressure all night was the best it has been all year. Plenty of 2 on 1 tackles, non stop chasing, etc. Even Baz looked up for it.

Huddo grinded out a heroic game. He nullified Jamar for most of the night and owned Jack Watts in a sledging comp. He's nearing the end but tonight's game was one to enjoy for the big fella.

Sledges

Not a whole lot to criticise tonight.

Early on, our defensive group looked set for a long night. Too many going up, trying to mark in stead of spoil. They improved as the night went on but those sort of lapses prove costly against the better teams.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
02-07-2011, 12:14 AM
Slaps
Picken's role on Scully- was much more disciplined this week and not only wore Scully like a glove restricting him to 17 possies, he also got 17 himself and kicked an important goal.

Ward- his intensity for the ball is well known amongst us all- but his work inside the contest was crucial to nullifying the Dee's early ability to win the first ball.

Sledge

Hard to fault the overall performance in a 10 goal win.
As mentioned our back 6 looked shaky one on one, when the Dee's were able to move the ball forward.

Jones's laughable & potentially morale deflating stuff up when he marked 10 out and fluffled a straight forward handpass and certain goal to Grant. Thankfully Guido goaled about a minute later to re-inflate our morale and composure.

LostDoggy
02-07-2011, 12:25 AM
Sledge-Barlow easily our worse, looked lost. I hope this week was an aberration rather than last week.

comrade
02-07-2011, 12:27 AM
Sledge-Barlow easily our worse, looked lost. I hope this week was an aboration rather than last week.

We kept trying to use him as a marking target one on one and he just didn't look like getting near it. I'm not sure what his ongoing role is. I thought with Minson out, he'd be used as the primary second ruck but Jones got the nod (and did an admirable job). If he's not ruck relief, what is he?

GVGjr
02-07-2011, 12:33 AM
Slaps
Adam 'Wayne Rooney' Cooneys goal
Some of Higgins passing.
Grants big mark
Wards last quarter goal
The second efforts by Dahlhaus

Sledge
That 'goal' we stuffed up

angelopetraglia
02-07-2011, 12:38 AM
Slaps

Coons - getting back to his best, acceleration was back tonight. His inside work was superb too.

Dalhaus - just love watching this kid play, brings so much energy and enormous forward pressure. Love his work off the ball.

Sledges

Barlow - could not take a mark to save himself, was everywhere buy could not have an impact

Umpires - some howlers tonight, had an ordinary game

Greystache
02-07-2011, 12:47 AM
Slaps

Cooney- He was Cooney again, adds so much to the team.
Gia- Had a great month or so.

Sledges

Barlow- Looked like the Barlow I remember, let's hope we last weeks form back.
Hooper- Not sure there's an AFL player there.

Remi Moses
02-07-2011, 12:54 AM
SLaps- Cooney( we look so much better with Adam fit and firing)
Ward- ( outstanding early and set the scene)
Gia( been great for about 6 weeks! Ever since pox head motor mouth potted him)
Griffen-( continues to dominate)
Dahlhaus( his second and third efforts are outstanding)
Higgins( been a real winner sending him back)
Hudson ( he was heroic against the odds)
Melbourne fans( finally finding Etihad stadium, taken a while!

Sledge- where was this tackling intensity weeks ago?
Very Very Frustrating:mad:

anfo27
02-07-2011, 01:02 AM
SLAPS
the dollhouse: intensity, pressure, desperation. really making a difference in an area that was a major problem for us.
Cooney: his burst of speed seems to be back and that gives us so much.

SLEDGE
agree 100% with the grey one on this.
Hooper: watched him tonight and did not see a single thing that made me think he could be someone. Unlike dollhouse hoops takes all the wrong options, not sure what he adds to the team.
Barlow: shocking hands tonight, couldn't catch a cold out there tonight.

Sedat
02-07-2011, 01:04 AM
Sledge-Barlow easily our worse, looked lost. I hope this week was an aberration rather than last week.
I thought Barlow competed his ass off tonight. I'm not expecting miracles from him but he covers a hell of a lot of ground and gets to an awful lot of contests because of his amazing tank. Whilst he didn't take many marks, he certainly did well to prevent his direct opponent from marking it, and in a couple of occasions he made sure the ball dropped to a teammates advantage resultimg in a goal. Structurally we are much more balanced with a player of his skill-set in the team and less of the lumbering tall timber.

Slap - apart from what has already been mentioned, I loved our decision-making abilty all night. We took risks when we needed to pierce the press and we went safety first and played the percentages when we needed to as well. Melbourne played like millionaires by comparison.

Sledge - memo to Tom Williams and Easton Wood, if you're going to leave you man and spoil the ball you need to kill the contest stone dead. Also Jarrad Grant made a couple of half-assed chasing efforts in the first half - he improved significantly in the 2nd half in his defensive work.

Stefcep
02-07-2011, 01:14 AM
Slaps: Gia Cooney Griffen Ward Higgins. When these guys perform we are a finals side.

Sledges: Barlow-sorry not AFL level. Jones-Remind me what's good about him: can't kick, bad positionally, and possibly the one of the most "football-dumb" players I've seen.

LostDoggy
02-07-2011, 01:18 AM
Slap : Seeing Markovic and Hooper on the ground , both will be better for the game time

Slap : Seeing Cooney moving freely , our midfield structure is much more balanced with him in the engine room

Slap : The umpires , just keep fighting for the ball and I won't blow the whistle

Sledge : The Jones / Grant botchotomy show

Sledge : The hiccups , trying to scream at people and you sound like a slightly camp redneck with asthma

SonofScray
02-07-2011, 01:21 AM
Sledges
Hooper- Not sure there's an AFL player there.

Made a comment to my mate that his game was neither here nor there, a few really good passages of play but mostly didn't seem to be involved enough. Maybe a break even sort of game for him. I saw a few things that make me think he can be a valuable player for us though.

A few good pieces of play in close, front and square and one very nice handball to Griffen in particular were pleasing. I can't tell yet if he has the goods but there is something about his game that makes him look like a dangerous proposition for opponents. Will need to review the stats to say that with some real confidence but I won't write him off yet.

G-Mo77
02-07-2011, 01:25 AM
Slap - How good as Gia been this year? I had an argument with a friend of mine today about him and I couldn't convince him. My final retort was watch him tonight. I win. Slap to you Gia!

Slap - Coons, Ward and Griff. I'll be pretty happy if I see this midfield over the next few years.

Slap - Confidence in beating Melbourne by over 40. Ka-ching $$$ :)

Sledge - Sorry, don't get the Barlow sledges and see it as looking someone to vent at in a pretty impressive display. He's not the perfect player but did his job.

Sledge - Jones/Grant. Egh!

Sledge - memo to Tom Williams and Easton Wood, if you're going to leave you man and spoil the ball you need to kill the contest stone dead.

This.

Ghost Dog
02-07-2011, 01:26 AM
I thought Barlow competed his ass off tonight. I'm not expecting miracles from him but he covers a hell of a lot of ground and gets to an awful lot of contests because of his amazing tank. Whilst he didn't take many marks, he certainly did well to prevent his direct opponent from marking it, and in a couple of occasions he made sure the ball dropped to a teammates advantage resultimg in a goal. Structurally we are much more balanced with a player of his skill-set in the team and less of the lumbering tall timber.

Slap - apart from what has already been mentioned, I loved our decision-making abilty all night. We took risks when we needed to pierce the press and we went safety first and played the percentages when we needed to as well. Melbourne played like millionaires by comparison.

Sledge - memo to Tom Williams and Easton Wood, if you're going to leave you man and spoil the ball you need to kill the contest stone dead. Also Jarrad Grant made a couple of half-assed chasing efforts in the first half - he improved significantly in the 2nd half in his defensive work.

I noticed rocket having a long chat to Easton at the half time huddle. Some things to work on. Did some great things but some poor decisions.
I don't mind him backing himself to run through a pack, but he needs to be a little more conservative in that area. There were passing options for him but he tried to crash through. A powerful athlete, he needs to train in a way that forces him to use footy smarts rather than athletic power, which he has buckets of.

Barlow - I knew when I logged in he was going to be the whipping boy for tonight. Some criticized him for being slow, but hell, he hardly got much of a rest for the whole night. I like him. He's finding his feet, but he backed himself well a few times and keeps improving. No natural, but fits the team. At one point, he got the ball close to the 50. I watched and waited to see if he would pass it off. He backed himself and went for goal. Didn't get it but I thought 'good on you mate'

In contrast, I think Grant seems a bit overconfident for me - lack of run at times is frustrating when you know how fast he is. Great grab mind you.

AndrewP6
02-07-2011, 01:43 AM
SLAPS

Griff - just keeps on getting it done.
Roald Dahlhaus - didn't set the game on fire, but boy he just keeps going and going and going. Great energy and enthusiasm.

Honourable mention to Grant for the big grab in the last, going some way to atone for the earlier blue.

SLEDGES

The Jones-Grant Incident - that bad it deserves capital letters.

Victoria Police for not letting me in the lift at Southern Cross, as 3 of them tried to subdue some bloke with his head split open and arms thrashing wildly. Missed my train, and then after saying I couldn't go through, and making me wait ten minutes, one of them changed his mind and said "Yeah no worries, we'll make some room".

LostDoggy
02-07-2011, 01:50 AM
Slap
Match committee for selecting Markovic. Our backline looked much more solid with him down there. I dont fell the panic when he is near the ball that I do when Williams goes near it.

Sledge
All those posters getting into Barlow. I thought he tried his ar#e off tonight.

Ghost Dog
02-07-2011, 02:10 AM
Slap
Match committee for selecting Markovic. Our backline looked much more solid with him down there. I dont fell the panic when he is near the ball that I do when Williams goes near it.

Sledge
All those posters getting into Barlow. I thought he tried his ar#e off tonight.

Sledge to Boyd for Slapping Griff right on the kisser, and after a goal! funny to watch

AndrewP6
02-07-2011, 02:19 AM
Forget a slap - to Coons, for a pickup on the wing in the last qtr, colliding with Tommygun. Coons sort of pushed Tom aside, with a "Don't touch that ball, it's mine" look.

Flamethrower
02-07-2011, 02:34 AM
Slaps:

- Liam Jones - best game of his short career by far. Earned very high praise from Mick Malthouse and Dermott Brereton on SEN.

- Shaun Higgins - completely shut out Sylvia while dominating across half back.

Sledges:

- Look away handballs - why???? Cost both teams goals tonight.

- The slam tackle - someone will end up in a wheelchair. A 3 week suspension is obviously not a deterrent - rub Trengove out for the rest of the season.

Drunken Bum
02-07-2011, 03:33 AM
The slam tackle - someone will end up in a wheelchair. A 3 week suspension is obviously not a deterrent - rub Trengove out for the rest of the season.

You're taking the piss right?

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff60/pissedidiot/6b58abc524ad20fdd7cd7727f2dac710cf03df82.jpg

Remi Moses
02-07-2011, 04:52 AM

Agree entirely, Easton Wood does that to often the kamikaze spoil that misses everything and results in the opposition getting easy ball

Slaps: Gia Cooney Griffen Ward Higgins. When these guys perform we are a finals side.

Sledges: Barlow-sorry not AFL level. Jones-Remind me what's good about him: can't kick, bad positionally, and possibly the one of the most "football-dumb" players I've seen.

Remi Moses
02-07-2011, 04:59 AM

Well what's good about Jones . Didn't catch his contested marks tonight?( great asset these days) How many games has he played? Needs to improve his kicking obviously,but KP players take time to develop but unfortunately supporters have no patience and no logic!!Seen plenty of footy over my 43 years of existence and I can assure you Liam will be a very good footballer

Happy Days
02-07-2011, 05:33 AM
Slap - The dudes behind us for starting a "Who's house? Dahl's House!" chant

Sledge - Barlow; reverted back to spud form after showing so much in the past two weeks.

chef
02-07-2011, 08:40 AM

One of the best contested marks in the league already and only going to get better, but he is never going to be a great kick

chef
02-07-2011, 08:43 AM
You're taking the piss right?

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff60/pissedidiot/6b58abc524ad20fdd7cd7727f2dac710cf03df82.jpg

It was a slam tackle(my biggest pet hate ATM) exactly the same as he put on Dangerfield, the only difference was that the shoulder and not the head hit the ground first. We shouldn't wait for the player who is tackled to get injured before doing something about it.

dog town
02-07-2011, 08:47 AM

Barlow was certainly available as an outlet everytime we needed him which helps us structurally. For the moment that is enough for him and it is making a difference but if he is going to be a long term contributor he needs to do more than just dead weight himself in one on one marking contests. I dont expect him to split sides open with his disposal but I want him to compete a little more ferociously in the air. A few times he needed to go at the ball in the air and take a bit of punishment but he angled his body and stayed flat footed instead. Actually didnt jump a number of times also. He is certainly showing enough to persist with though and his workrate is a massive weapon.

Slap- Coaching staff. Guarded the corridor and made them turn the ball over. First big game this year where it has felt like the game was being played on our terms.

Murphy vs Jurrah- Made Jurrah a liability.
Higgins vs Sylvia

Both match ups worked well.

Slap- Mids. It was our clear advantage going into the game and they dominated them. Makes a massive difference having Cooney and Griffen up and going at the same time.

Slap- Wood and Jones for turning around awful starts to the game. Neither dominated but they were horrible early.

Sledge- Jarrad Grants work rate. I would persist with him because he is top 5 in the side in terms of talent but this guy has actually gone backwards with his work rate.

westdog54
02-07-2011, 09:04 AM
SLEDGES

Victoria Police for not letting me in the lift at Southern Cross, as 3 of them tried to subdue some bloke with his head split open and arms thrashing wildly. Missed my train, and then after saying I couldn't go through, and making me wait ten minutes, one of them changed his mind and said "Yeah no worries, we'll make some room".

Excuse the Police for trying to do their jobs. I wonder if you'd be sledging them if one of those stray arms had connected with your head or you'd had blood splattered all over you. :rolleyes:

The Pie Man
02-07-2011, 09:08 AM
Made a comment to my mate that his game was neither here nor there, a few really good passages of play but mostly didn't seem to be involved enough. Maybe a break even sort of game for him. I saw a few things that make me think he can be a valuable player for us though.

A few good pieces of play in close, front and square and one very nice handball to Griffen in particular were pleasing. I can't tell yet if he has the goods but there is something about his game that makes him look like a dangerous proposition for opponents. Will need to review the stats to say that with some real confidence but I won't write him off yet.

I agree with this, I don't get the Hooper sledges. Will agree that he got sucked up the ground a bit where I thought a Grant might've been better suited, but he had 14 decent touches in what I thought was a somewhat encouraging performance

Not giving him a slap though, they're reserved for Cooney, Griffen, Picken and Ward.

Sledge to this w@nker Dees fan who was giving it to Gilbee for being soft and then came out with 'have you heard of prior opportunity?' when it was a clear holding the ball in the 2nd qtr not given. I blew up at him for 5 seconds, wouldn't normally (and needlessly apologized at half time as he took no offense)

w3design
02-07-2011, 09:28 AM
Slap: Callan Ward, despite enough pressure to make the strongest mind crumble, was terrific. I don't get the people saying we would be paying a fortune on 'potential', for mine he's been a 200 game player from the start and has hit his straps this season. Gee we need him to stay.

Slap: Gia. His best ever season?

Slap: griff has had to step up so much this season with coons' absence for large chunks. Playing wonderful footy.

Slap: match committee for the inspired move with Higgins down back. His skills and confidence are returning. Feels a long time since the match (hawks?) where his lack of work rate and dismal body language merited their own thread.

Sledge: good wins too rare this year, so I'm too contented today to sledge ( well, ok, had to be one of the most dismal displays of umpiring for quite some time, luckily we frequently benefited from their ineptitude).

Desipura
02-07-2011, 09:40 AM

You need to watch more footy, are you new to the game? Jones has played 17 games of AFL footy and played his best game last night. Took a few strong contested marks which is one of the harder things to do in footy.
With experience he will learn how to get in space to get the uncontested, his kicking needs to be addressed and his lack of confidence often leads him to feed off the ball to his teammate when he should take a shot himself.
Chris Grant had similar issues, they can be fixed especially so early in his career.

1eyedog
02-07-2011, 09:44 AM
SLAPS:

Griffen the clearance king

Hudson the toiler

Higgins the smooth mover

SLEDGES:

Posters potting Jones and Grant when they are still learning their craft.

Desipura
02-07-2011, 09:46 AM
SLAPS
Griffen is now a consistent AFL player who's best and worst is not far apart
Cooney showed he has that acceleration back, gee he makes others look better
Gia in career best form, consistently kicking goals, struggled early this season to now being in the top 3 performers in 2011. We need him to step up next week in a mini final game against the Blues
Higgins hands were clean and delivered the ball well, took me back memory lane.

SLEDGE
Hooper, what was he even doing out there? It was like watching a C grade movie when they pluck someone from the crowd to play on the biggest stage due to the team having so many injuries.

Ghost Dog
02-07-2011, 09:55 AM
SLAPS
Griffen is now a consistent AFL player who's best and worst is not far apart
Cooney showed he has that acceleration back, gee he makes others look better
Gia in career best form, consistently kicking goals, struggled early this season to now being in the top 3 performers in 2011. We need him to step up next week in a mini final game against the Blues
Higgins hands were clean and delivered the ball well, took me back memory lane.

SLEDGE
Hooper, what was he even doing out there? It was like watching a C grade movie when they pluck someone from the crowd to play on the biggest stage due to the team having so many injuries.

Ok he didn't add much.
But why not comment on a few of the good things he did?
Took a great diving mark, a good goal assist and an excellent shep in the foward pocket. He's just finding his feet in his first real touch of the season. He wasn't influential but give him a bloody go? First game of the season. The way he moves shows he has something to add and should have had a goal.

Desipura
02-07-2011, 10:02 AM
Ok he didn't add much.
Took a great diving mark, a good goal assist and an excellent shep in the foward pocket. He's just finding his feet in his first real touch of the season. He wasn't influential but give him a bloody go? First game of the season. The way he moves shows he has something to add and should have had a goal.

Ghost dog, he is that small it's no real surprise he took a mark so low. Name one outstanding feature you see in his game?
Pace? Questionable
Strength? No
Endurance? No
Disposal? Just ok
When you are that small, you need to have something special see Brent Harvey

1eyedog
02-07-2011, 10:15 AM
Ok he didn't add much.

Agreed and a couple of sharp handballs in the F50. If we are going to play him it means the MC believe in him and have a better insight than WOOF posters do. He should be persisted with for at least another game.

comrade
02-07-2011, 10:39 AM
Agreed and a couple of sharp handballs in the F50. If we are going to play him it means the MC believe in him and have a better insight than WOOF posters do. He should be persisted with for at least another game.

We're not really supposed to make reference to the MC possibly knowing more about the players/game than us WOOF posters.

Just letting you know. ;)

G-Mo77
02-07-2011, 10:54 AM
SLEDGE

Pretty harsh. It's only his 2nd game.

Desipura
02-07-2011, 11:12 AM
Pretty harsh. It's only his 2nd game.

It is harsh, but you know what............sadly it's true

SlimPickens
02-07-2011, 11:16 AM
Slap- Liam Jones, fantastic game some of those contested marks were top notch.

Slap- Liam Picken, kept Tom Scully to 73 supercoach pts :p, LOVE YOUR WORK SLIM.

Slap- Higgins- accountable, tough and precise football. Gave Sylvia a bath.

Slap- Spindle for the most awkward looking speecky i've seen in a long time.

Sledge- Gilbee looking all at sea under the high ball. Really disappointing for such a senior player.

Sledge- The Melbourne supporter i spoke to near the final siren, who blamed the umpires for their loss...talk about dilusional.

G-Mo77
02-07-2011, 11:23 AM

OK then, that's settled.

Greystache
02-07-2011, 11:25 AM
Slap- Liam Jones, fantastic game some of those contested marks were top notch.

Slap- Liam Picken, kept Tom Scully to 73 supercoach pts :p, LOVE YOUR WORK SLIM.

Slap- Higgins- accountable, tough and precise football. Gave Sylvia a bath.

Slap- Spindle for the most awkward looking speecky i've seen in a long time.

Sledge- Gilbee looking all at sea under the high ball. Really disappointing for such a senior player.

Sledge- The Melbourne supporter i spoke to near the final siren, who blamed the umpires for their loss...talk about dilusional.

Good call Slim, as you know it's the best tool we have for measuring how a player performed. :D

bornadog
02-07-2011, 11:46 AM
Slap: Gia in wonderful form and a great goal with the banana kick in the 2nd quarter.

Slap Cross: Has his critics on Woof, but I watched him carefully last night, played a supburb game and guess what not one sideward or backward kick:)

Slap: Griffen - one word ELITE.

Sledge: Gia Tried to repeat the banana in the third when really he should have steadied and kicked it properly.

Sledge:Media for not rating Griffen.

Ghost Dog
02-07-2011, 11:54 AM
Ghost dog, he is that small it's no real surprise he took a mark so low. Name one outstanding feature you see in his game?
Pace? Questionable
Strength? No
Endurance? No
Disposal? Just ok

IMO, what a negative thing to say about a player from your own team.

There are few and far between Ryan Griffens in this world. the bulk of the AFL is made up of players of all types who, while lacking the DNA to match it with champions, work their guts out to fill a role. these are your stock standard players and clubs are built on them.
You'd have to be a pretty harsh critic to consign a player to failure on the basis of a single game.

What's your thing against short players? Stephen Milne is one of the best small forwards in the game. Eddie Betts. The list goes on. how is he much different from any of these players?

Ghost Dog
02-07-2011, 11:59 AM

truth
— n
1. the quality of being true, genuine, actual, or factual: the truth of his statement was attested

o·pin·ion
a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.

Now Desipura, would you say that 1 game is sufficient or insufficient grounds?

Tony Liberatore was told he would never become an AFL player by premiership coaches ie experts.
you mean true....like that?

Desipura
02-07-2011, 12:04 PM
What's your thing against short players? Stephen Milne is one of the best small forwards in the game. Eddie Betts. The list goes on. how is he much different from any of these players?
And IMO, what a negative thing to say about a player from your own team.

There are few and far between Ryan Griffens in this world. the bulk of the AFL is made up of players of all types who, while lacking the DNA to match it with champions, work their guts out to fill a role. these are your stock standard players and clubs are built on them.
You'd have to be a pretty harsh critic to consign a player to failure on the basis of a single game.

Nothing against short players, I don't know why you would even ask such a question. Are you short?
If so, sorry I did not mean to offend.
In response to the players you mentioned,
Milne he has pace and a decent side step
Betta has pace, smarts and good evasive skills
Hooper will never resemble either of these 2, a Patrick Rose clone less the marking ability.

Dahlhaus is showing enough to suggest he can make a career. I like his thirst to lay a tackle and get involved. Reads the play well for a player just starting out.

Ghost Dog
02-07-2011, 12:10 PM
Nothing against short players, I don't know why you would even ask such a question. Are you short?
If so, sorry I did not mean to offend.
In response to the players you mentioned,
Milne he has pace and a decent side step
Betta has pace, smarts and good evasive skills
Hooper will never resemble either of these 2, a Patrick Rose clone less the marking ability.

Dahlhaus is showing enough to suggest he can make a career. I like his thirst to lay a tackle and get involved. Reads the play well for a player just starting out.

again, Truth V opinion. 1 game is not enough for you to say that.

Desipura
02-07-2011, 12:17 PM
again, Truth V opinion. 1 game is not enough for you to say that.

I can give my opinion based on 2 games, whether it is true, time will tell.

Ghost Dog
02-07-2011, 12:20 PM
I can give my opinion based on 2 games, whether it is true, time will tell.

Of course! and you're welcome to it...but you said it was "sadly true" :D

Desipura
02-07-2011, 12:25 PM
of course! And you're welcome to it...but you said it was "sadly true" :d

imho he he

LostDoggy
02-07-2011, 12:33 PM
Big Slap to Rodney and the Coaching staff on shutting down the right players. I know it was the players who done the job, but it was good choices all round on who went onto who

LostDoggy
02-07-2011, 12:38 PM
Ghost dog, Hooper is that small it's no real surprise he took a mark so low. Name one outstanding feature you see in his game?
Pace? Questionable
Strength? No
Endurance? No
Disposal? Just ok

Pace : Top 4 in the Club for speed over 20m
Strength : I dare you to arm wrestle him
Endurance : Has worked hard on his fitness and that,s why he has played more time up the ground at Williamstown
Disposal : 14 disposals at 71% with two tackles , his zone pressure was very good

If memory serves me correct , young Andrew was the first player since Dermott Brereton to make his debut in a Final , this was his first full game at AFL level this year and you sledge him

You deserve two sledges

LostDoggy
02-07-2011, 01:04 PM
Slap: Cooney, Higgins, Grant and Hall what a difference form makes.
Slap: Griffen, Murphy, Ward, Gia, Picken, Dollhouse and Boyd just keep on keeping on.

Sledge: Barlow trying to mark with his hands a metre apart.

I thought Hooper did ok.

SonofScray
02-07-2011, 01:17 PM
SLAPS

Cooney - looks like he might be "back." Just a bit of a glimpse of his best last night, huge for us if he strings some games like that together.

Higgins - I do not like him at all and will preface this slap with my old favourite "its easy to get a kick across half back," but, credit where it is due. He played an elite game of half back last night and helped move the ball cleanly and directly through the midfield.

SLEDGE

Grant - could be anything. When he is up and about he does special things. Sadly at this level so far this year he hasn't shown that he is interested in being an AFL footballer. Start putting the work in, or say goodbye to all hat promise.

Ted Barlow -only a minor sledge as he is my new favourite player, after Trent Bartlett and Peter Street. Just didn't get his arms up for the overhead mark a few times in the middle of the ground which caused a few easy turnovers and clearances from the ensuing contest. He'd lead the stats sheet for putting the ball out of bounds from a marking contest. Love his work rate, his ability to make a contest etc but he was a bit down really.

lemmon
02-07-2011, 01:20 PM
Pace? Questionable
Strength? No
Endurance? No
Disposal? Just ok

Could say the same about J Blair and he'd definitley be in our starting 18. Not saying Hooper will make it or not but the only way to find out is through game time.

Topdog
02-07-2011, 01:27 PM
Gotta give Hooper at least 2 games in the seniors (consecutive) before you can sledge him IMO. Same goes for any other player.

Sledge
Grant: Just goes missing for 90% of the game and stuffed up THAT goal.

Slap
Grant: After that miss he set up 2 goals in about 5 minutes. One with a shepard for Gia who did that reverse banana. The other with one of the best i50 kicks I have seen this season to Hall.

The rest of my slaps and sledges have been made by others already.

Greystache
02-07-2011, 01:59 PM
Sledge:Media for not rating Griffen.

It's an interesting one isn't it? IMO the media overated Griffen for a long time, yet now he is deserving of every bit of praise they can give him, he isn't getting the acknowledgement he should.

ledge
02-07-2011, 02:12 PM
I took a good look at Hooper last night thought he presented a lot (but others were preferred)he chased hard has a solid build for getting through a congested area, he linked up a few times and I can see a lot in him. just needs a few games and to get in the groove with the team.
Desipura, makes me wonder what you thought of Grant after his first game.
What did Hooper do so bad that you have thrown in the towel on him so early?
Jack Watts would never have played another game either if you base a player on one or two games.
There are many great players who wouldnt have gone anywhere near Hoopers figures in their first 2 games.

Stack is maybe the one supporters could be saying it about but not a kid after 2 games who had some figures.

Lets give him a decent chance.

Mofra
02-07-2011, 02:24 PM
Slaps:
Gia - Best season he's played so far. Obviously takes leadership responsibilitiers seriously, seemed very vocal last night
Higgins - Possibly the best game I've seen him play. To not just towel up Sylvia (who's been in good form) buit to drift forward, kick 2, and win contested ball in the backline; that was special
Jones - He can actually pinch hit as a ruckman, and every game he plays he gets a bit better at holding contested grabs (he's had almost 50% of our team's total for the year :eek:)

Sledges:
Barlow - I know you work hard to get to contests but you are 195cm - put your bloody arms up when you attempt a mark. You will at least influence the contest
Small sledge to the coaching panel - it would have been nice to bring Reid on with maybe 10-15 minutes to go in the 3rd, give him a bit more gametime

Desipura
02-07-2011, 02:54 PM
I took a good look at Hooper last night thought he presented a lot (but others were preferred)he chased hard has a solid build for getting through a congested area, he linked up a few times and I can see a lot in him. just needs a few games and to get in the groove with the team.
Desipura, makes me wonder what you thought of Grant after his first game.
What did Hooper do so bad that you have thrown in the towel on him so early?
Jack Watts would never have played another game either if you base a player on one or two games.
There are many great players who wouldnt have gone anywhere near Hoopers figures in their first 2 games.

Stack is maybe the one supporters could be saying it about but not a kid after 2 games who had some figures.

Lets give him a decent chance.

Grant started the game with the intensity I want from him, had a poor middle part of the game then came into it late in the 3rd qtr.
After that acrobatic mark, his confidence lifted, his kick for oak never deviated.
That mark alone teased me as to how good he could become if he wants it badly enough.
I'm ok with giving Hoops a chance, it won't change my early opinion of him.

1eyedog
02-07-2011, 03:01 PM
We're not really supposed to make reference to the MC possibly knowing more about the players/game than us WOOF posters.

Just letting you know. ;)

Thanks for the tip off and happy to buck the trend :D

1eyedog
02-07-2011, 03:02 PM
Pace : Top 4 in the Club for speed over 20m
Strength : I dare you to arm wrestle him
Endurance : Has worked hard on his fitness and that,s why he has played more time up the ground at Williamstown
Disposal : 14 disposals at 71% with two tackles , his zone pressure was very good

If memory serves me correct , young Andrew was the first player since Dermott Brereton to make his debut in a Final , this was his first full game at AFL level this year and you sledge him

You deserve two sledges

WD I'm pissing myself laughing at this one I like the way you roll

ledge
02-07-2011, 03:17 PM
Grant started the game with the intensity I want from him, had a poor middle part of the game then came into it late in the 3rd qtr.
After that acrobatic mark, his confidence lifted, his kick for oak never deviated.
That mark alone teased me as to how good he could become if he wants it badly enough.
I'm ok with giving Hoops a chance, it won't change my early opinion of him.

I was talking about Grants first game ever.

Desipura
02-07-2011, 03:35 PM
I was talking about Grants first game ever.

Although you could see he did not have much strength and endurance, was impressed with his intensity and pace to catch Judd holding the ball, not too many players can do that.
Don't want to harp on it, I cannot see a real strength that Hoops has got that would enable him to play AFL long term.

1eyedog
02-07-2011, 03:45 PM
Although you could see he did not have much strength and endurance, was impressed with his intensity and pace to catch Judd holding the ball, not too many players can do that.
Don't want to harp on it, I cannot see a real strength that Hoops has got that would enable him to play AFL long term.

I would put my house on a bet to say the same about Liberatore Snr, Weightman, T. Shaw and Milne as well after their second game.

The club should employ you as a recruiter given your insight.

Topdog
02-07-2011, 03:47 PM

I don't see it either but no point promoting him if we don't leave him in for at least 2 games.

Sedat
02-07-2011, 05:14 PM
Barlow was certainly available as an outlet everytime we needed him which helps us structurally. For the moment that is enough for him and it is making a difference but if he is going to be a long term contributor he needs to do more than just dead weight himself in one on one marking contests. I dont expect him to split sides open with his disposal but I want him to compete a little more ferociously in the air. A few times he needed to go at the ball in the air and take a bit of punishment but he angled his body and stayed flat footed instead. Actually didnt jump a number of times also. He is certainly showing enough to persist with though and his workrate is a massive weapon.
The thing I think people are missing with Barlow is that on the occasions when we were static in our defensive 50, he was the only player capable of providing an outlet option that would, at worst case, result in a 50/50 out of bounds or stoppage away from the danger area. Without him presenting time after time, we have no outlet to release the pressure out of the opposition's forward press.

I agree that he can't rely on just 'competing' if he is to make a long-term go of his career, but he'll do the job until such time as we get a player of that size on our list that can run all day to provide an option.

Raw Toast
02-07-2011, 05:40 PM
One of the best contested marks in the league already and only going to get better, but he is never going to be a great kick

Slap - Higgins. Helped win almost every contest he was in, disposal was superb and provided plenty of run. Showed why some inside the club were rating him as likely to become our best player a couple of years ago.

Slap - Jones. Apart from a couple of instances early and that awful handball he competed well in the ruck and took a number of telling marks. I really liked the move of him into the ruck.

Slap - Cooney. The thing I've liked best about him since his return is his intense desire to impose himself on the contest.

Slap - Williams. Surprised he has not been mentioned much. Did a number of very important things that outweighed his major brain-fade.

Slaps of course to Griffen, Picken, Hudson, Gia, and Hall.

Slap - Grant. Yes he needs to improve his workrate, but he created the banana goal for Gia with a very important shepard, created two goals for Hall from beautiful passes, and took a wonderful mark.

Sledges - our backline still has a few too many communication issues, while the Jones/Grant issue was phone-killing stuff.

AndrewP6
02-07-2011, 08:21 PM
Excuse the Police for trying to do their jobs. I wonder if you'd be sledging them if one of those stray arms had connected with your head or you'd had blood splattered all over you. :rolleyes:

The man in question had at least 3 (and at one point 4) of them holding him down, there was enough room for me to get past them, and when they finally said I could go past, nothing at all had changed -ie- I could've gone through right from the start.

Sledge stands.

Drunken Bum
02-07-2011, 08:23 PM
It was a slam tackle(my biggest pet hate ATM) exactly the same as he put on Dangerfield, the only difference was that the shoulder and not the head hit the ground first. We shouldn't wait for the player who is tackled to get injured before doing something about it.

So he should be suspended for the rest of the year for it? You are agreeing that is correct punishment? For a tackle, that previous to this year was legal and did not cause any injury?
The comment i questioned was beyond ridiculous. Lets have a look at it again shall we

- The slam tackle - someone will end up in a wheelchair. A 3 week suspension is obviously not a deterrent - rub Trengove out for the rest of the season.

Going by that logic, every person that ducks their head in a tackle or dives into a players legs to get the ball(draw a free kick) should be suspended for life because someone could end up in a wheelchair from it.

the banker
02-07-2011, 08:46 PM

Agrre with all this

LostDoggy
02-07-2011, 08:47 PM
Start a thread to the dreadlock appreciation society D.A.S

The vigour and energy Dahlhaus brings to the team is uplifting for me, Well done.

Desipura
02-07-2011, 09:05 PM
I would put my house on a bet to say the same about Liberatore Snr, Weightman, T. Shaw and Milne as well after their second game.

The club should employ you as a recruiter given your insight.

Perhaps they could employ you as smart ass.
If I am wrong you can gloat all you want, if he does not make it as I suspect, I will not be saying told you so.
Just because I have gone out on a limb and made a premature comment about a players prospects, yup do not have to get sensitive about it.
It's not as if I do not make a big call on other players (positive prospects) early in their career, see Liam Jones.

Desipura
02-07-2011, 09:08 PM
Start a thread to the dreadlock appreciation society D.A.S

The vigour and energy Dahlhaus brings to the team is uplifting for me, Well done.

Agree Kaiser, his energy is contagious at the moment.

NoParkingOnMatchDays
02-07-2011, 10:14 PM
Slap to Hudson for pointing to himself and saying to Watts "I'm shit, I buy that but at least I'm not shit and went one"

Jasper
03-07-2011, 01:04 AM
Slap - Dahlhaus he has very clean hands, seems to be a one grab player, also good evasion, good vision, ok kicking, and his desire and ability to pressure in the fwd line has been a missing ingredient in our fwd 50 for a long time. As long as keeps applying that pressure (even with few possies) he should continue to play.

Slap - Dean Bailey's coaching - Dean if you want to win against us press, if not you will lose. The game fairly open a lot of the night which suits us.

Slap - Gia and Higgins, another good H&A game well done. Higgins back appears to have worked.

Slap - Jones in the ruck, hopefully we have our answer on who plays the Leigh Brown role, we already have our answer on whether Huddo and Minson should play in the one team.

Borderline Sledge - Hooper harsh sledging him in his first game for a while, but what does he add as a small fwd? He looks really slow out there, you would think a small guy should be clearance machine or pacy as to make at AFL. Hooper seems to be neither.

SlimPickens
03-07-2011, 12:18 PM
Slap- Did anyone else notice Morris after the final siren. A long shot by a Melbourne player with the siren going when the ball was in the air, it may have rolled through for a point or goal. Every other player stopped to celebrate, Morris continued to chase til the ball was dead. Showed great intent and just proves what a leader this bloke is. It may seem minor but I really rated this final effort.

chef
03-07-2011, 12:27 PM
So he should be suspended for the rest of the year for it? You are agreeing that is correct punishment? For a tackle, that previous to this year was legal and did not cause any injury?
The comment i questioned was beyond ridiculous. Lets have a look at it again shall we

I'm not saying the rest of the season, but he's already been suspended for 3 weeks for doing that exact same tackle. If Ward was knocked out(which could quite easily have happened) what would your reaction be?

This sort of tackle should not be acceptable.

LostDoggy
03-07-2011, 12:44 PM
Slaps -

Dahlhaus. He cuts the angles and forces players to rethink their options in the forward line (because of his closing speed). A number of times players were hurried in their disposal because of this. We have been crying out for this sort pressure since St Kilda started doing it to us 3 years ago.

Hudson. Thought some of his back taps were excellent. We seemed more likely to break out at centre bounces than I have seen for some time.

Ward. Really tough at the contest and more balanced. Will be a huge loss if he goes as he is starting to do some of the bullocking and contested work to greater effect.

dog town
03-07-2011, 07:21 PM
The thing I think people are missing with Barlow is that on the occasions when we were static in our defensive 50, he was the only player capable of providing an outlet option that would, at worst case, result in a 50/50 out of bounds or stoppage away from the danger area. Without him presenting time after time, we have no outlet to release the pressure out of the opposition's forward press.

I agree that he can't rely on just 'competing' if he is to make a long-term go of his career, but he'll do the job until such time as we get a player of that size on our list that can run all day to provide an option. His work rate is making a big difference for us in bringing the ball forward I agree.

Drunken Bum
03-07-2011, 08:36 PM
I'm not saying the rest of the season, but he's already been suspended for 3 weeks for doing that exact same tackle. If Ward was knocked out(which could quite easily have happened) what would your reaction be?

This sort of tackle should not be acceptable.

If Ward was knocked out(which is beside the point anyway because he wasn't) i would have been bummed but dealt with it, sometimes people get hurt in football and it was actually involved in play. It wasn't like he was king hit 50m off the ball in which case yeah suspend him for the rest of the season but for a tackle that caused no harm, you can't be serious surely?

Ok i can accept that this is no longer acceptable in football now but talk of suspensions for the rest of the year etc are ridiculous in the extreme, 3 weeks is too much in my opinion but hey i can deal with that, the mrp is a joke anyway i expect ridiculous stuff like 3 weeks for a tackle and only 2 weeks for an elbow to the head behind the play. I personally don't understand how anyone could suggest being suspended for the rest of the season for that and keep a straight face.

Would you think the same if it was Cooney that had done the tackle to Scully for the same result? I think you would both be extremely upset at getting even 3 weeks if that was the case let alone the rest of the season

westdog54
03-07-2011, 08:46 PM
The man in question had at least 3 (and at one point 4) of them holding him down, there was enough room for me to get past them, and when they finally said I could go past, nothing at all had changed -ie- I could've gone through right from the start.

Sledge stands.

So does the question.

Put on the uniform for a day and see how you go. NFI whatsoever.

AndrewP6
03-07-2011, 08:47 PM
So does the question.

Put on the uniform for a day and see how you go. NFI whatsoever.

Huge call based on a few internet forum words.

Whatever.

chef
03-07-2011, 09:33 PM
If Ward was knocked out(which is beside the point anyway because he wasn't) i would have been bummed but dealt with it, sometimes people get hurt in football and it was actually involved in play. It wasn't like he was king hit 50m off the ball in which case yeah suspend him for the rest of the season but for a tackle that caused no harm, you can't be serious surely?

Ok i can accept that this is no longer acceptable in football now but talk of suspensions for the rest of the year etc are ridiculous in the extreme, 3 weeks is too much in my opinion but hey i can deal with that, the mrp is a joke anyway i expect ridiculous stuff like 3 weeks for a tackle and only 2 weeks for an elbow to the head behind the play. I personally don't understand how anyone could suggest being suspended for the rest of the season for that and keep a straight face.

Would you think the same if it was Cooney that had done the tackle to Scully for the same result? I think you would both be extremely upset at getting even 3 weeks if that was the case let alone the rest of the season

Wouldn't matter who did the tackle, I don't judge things differently because of a jumper.

And I think you're confusing me with someone else about the rest of the season suspension. I would have been happy with a week for the Dangerfield tackle and the same for this(because of a prior, a reprimand as a warning otherwise).

Holding someone by both arms and slamming them as hard as you can into the ground head first isn't just a tackle to me.

Drunken Bum
03-07-2011, 10:26 PM
And I think you're confusing me with someone else about the rest of the season suspension. I would have been happy with a week for the Dangerfield tackle and the same for this(because of a prior, a reprimand as a warning otherwise).

Ok, problem solved then. My original post was questioning Flamethrowers post saying that Trengrove should be suspended for the rest of the year, something very reasonable to do i would think.
You then quoted me saying that it was a slam tackle and your biggest pet hates right now.
To me that looked like you were agreeing that there should be much harsher penalties for slam tackles as per Flamethrowers post.

FWIW if he/she had of said "Trengroves tackle should be looked at by the MRP" or "Trengrove should get weeks for that tackle" i never would have blinked an eye, it was just the sheer ludicrousness of the suggestion that he be suspended for the rest of the year that made me reply.

chef
03-07-2011, 11:34 PM
Ok, problem solved then. My original post was questioning Flamethrowers post saying that Trengrove should be suspended for the rest of the year, something very reasonable to do i would think.
You then quoted me saying that it was a slam tackle and your biggest pet hates right now.
To me that looked like you were agreeing that there should be much harsher penalties for slam tackles as per Flamethrowers post.

FWIW if he/she had of said "Trengroves tackle should be looked at by the MRP" or "Trengrove should get weeks for that tackle" i never would have blinked an eye, it was just the sheer ludicrousness of the suggestion that he be suspended for the rest of the year that made me reply.

Fair enough mate:)

westdog54
04-07-2011, 12:00 AM
Huge call based on a few internet forum words.

Whatever.

Not really, given I've done two years in the uniform.

Sockeye Salmon
04-07-2011, 12:31 AM
I think it's pathetic that a player can get suspended for a tackle

LostDoggy
04-07-2011, 09:13 AM
Slap - Don't know if it's been mentioned but i was really impressed with Jones' game. His marking was fantastic and his ruckwork - for a player i've never seen ruck before- was like a seasoned performer. I don't recall him getting beaten when contesting in the middle or forward half. Thought that was a great performance by a player who would have been giving up multiple kilos to Jamar and Martin.

Sledge - Barlow seemed to get beaten in most marking contests aorund the ground and generally seemed lost for most of the night. Has played well up until now though.

Ozza
04-07-2011, 10:24 AM
Slap- Did anyone else notice Morris after the final siren. A long shot by a Melbourne player with the siren going when the ball was in the air, it may have rolled through for a point or goal. Every other player stopped to celebrate, Morris continued to chase til the ball was dead. Showed great intent and just proves what a leader this bloke is. It may seem minor but I really rated this final effort.

I saw that Slim. It was just so typical of Dale Morris.

Slap - Higgins - great job on Sylvia, was terrific when the game was up for grabs early. Set us up well.

Slap - Cooney - great to see the REAL Adam Cooney back in action.

Slap - Gia and Griff - producing week after week.

Slap - Picko's relentless job on Scully.

Sledge - only sledge is the Jones to Grant stuff up....a coast to coast goal following that for Melbourne would have killed us...and possibly could have changed the game. Luckily for us Melbourne couldn't execute well enough themselves!

LostDoggy
04-07-2011, 10:46 AM
Slap - Griffen - cream of the crop, and still rising!
Slap - Cooney - how great to see him fit and firing and oh how we have missed him :o
Slap - Picken - challenging Morris for the nickname "the glove"!

Sledge - Jones and Grant's attempt at goal - I just had to laugh and hope that as young inexperienced players, they will learn a lot from that. I don't think either of them dropped their head after it, which was very pleasing.

Mantis
04-07-2011, 10:54 AM
Sledge - Jones and Grant's attempt at goal - I just had to laugh and hope that as young inexperienced players, they will learn a lot from that. I don't think either of them dropped their head after it, which was very pleasing.

Yeah, if you didn't laugh you would just about start crying or even rip your hair out.

Jones just didn't balance himself after the mark in his eagerness to give the ball off resulting in an errant handball and Grant just took his eye off the ball at the wrong time.

As you say they will learn from this and we can be thankful that this comical stuff-up didn't come back to bite us.

The Coon Dog
04-07-2011, 10:59 AM
Yeah, if you didn't laugh you would just about start crying or even rip your hair out.

Jones just didn't balance himself after the mark in his eagerness to give the ball off resulting in an errant handball and Grant just took his eye off the ball at the wrong time.

As you say they will learn from this and we can be thankful that this comical stuff-up didn't come back to bite us.

When it happened I just thought of what Rocket's reaction might be, fair to say I'm sure he wouldn't have seen the funny side right then & there.

LostDoggy
04-07-2011, 11:03 AM
When it happened I just thought of what Rocket's reaction might be, fair to say I'm sure he wouldn't have seen the funny side right then & there.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they showed him in the box and his head was in his hands. I also love it how how now covers his mouth when yelling!! :D

BornInDroopSt'54
04-07-2011, 11:56 AM
Sledge to Boyd for Slapping Griff right on the kisser, and after a goal! funny to watch

Griffen actually looked pissed off!

bornadog
04-07-2011, 01:11 PM

Did you see the same thing (almost) happened in the Essendon match when Hill tried to handball over to an Essendon player, they stuffed around, fumbled etc but they actually managed to sneak in the goal. It was almost identical to the Jones/Grant one.

chef
04-07-2011, 06:32 PM

How about a spear tackle?

Go_Dogs
04-07-2011, 08:01 PM
If Ward was knocked out(which is beside the point anyway because he wasn't) i would have been bummed but dealt with it,

I think the MRP need to clarify this. As it read it seems there are 2 possible rulings here:-

a) The tackle on Ward wasn't reportable as he didn't get injured (this seems to be the viewpoint most media etc are taking); or

b) The tackle on Ward was slightly different in that Trengove did not have hold of Ward's arm/hand (as he did in the Dangerfield tackle). Not having hold of the arm/hand or releasing it prior to the tacklee hitting the ground means not reportable.

Confusing.

Happy Days
04-07-2011, 08:35 PM

I think it's pathetic that getting suspended for a tackle is dependant on whether you hurt the player or not.

You can't honestly say that there's no intent to hurt a player when applying a sling tackle.

w3design
04-07-2011, 08:45 PM
Who can fathom the MRP workings.. Moloney's hit on griff got a week, which seemed a tad unlucky..but the tackle on Ward was IMO much worse. He had the option of wrapping him in the tackle by grabbing his hips, but lifting him up and swinging him round to dump on the ground was unnecessary and dangerous. I felt sick seeing it.

In another example of inconsistency, if anyone but St Nick had done that nasty little knee to his opponent he would have been cited. I still regard his dive in THAT PF as a form of cheating. It appears he is quite capable of a range of low acts.

westdog54
04-07-2011, 08:51 PM
How about a spear tackle?

Spear Tackles aren't tackles. They're straight out foul play in any code of football.

chef
04-07-2011, 09:21 PM
Spear Tackles aren't tackles. They're straight out foul play in any code of football.

Thats my point, same with slinging tackles.

westdog54
04-07-2011, 10:41 PM
Thats my point, same with slinging tackles.

But spear tackles are straight out outlawed in rugby.

There is no rule in the AFL against a tackle that employs a slinging motion. Trengove was suspended for rouch conduct, not a sling tackle, and the charge arose from the impact to Dangerfield's head. This was despite the fact that Trengove didn't actually make contact to Dangerfield's head himself.

1eyedog
04-07-2011, 11:20 PM
Can someone start a thread for this discussion or start posting into an extant one if it does exist? It's not relevant to the subject thread.

SonofScray
04-07-2011, 11:30 PM
I hate this trend towards injury being a determinant of how serious the penalty is. If that type of tackle is not OK, it shouldn't matter if he hits his head or not. Same as a hip and shoulder that catches a guy high, if he breaks a cheekbone or jaw, everyone goes into hysterics and the player is all of a sudden looking at a much harsher penalty.

Sling tackles are a hard one to call IMO, i it is all in one motion and a ferocious tackle injures the opponent, thats just bad luck for them. If it is a situation where you complete a tackle and then continue with a second dumping motion, well thats what they need to address quite harshly.

BulldogBelle
04-07-2011, 11:36 PM
I think it's pathetic that getting suspended for a tackle is dependant on whether you hurt the player or not.

You can't honestly say that there's no intent to hurt a player when applying a sling tackle.

Yep - sledge to the ump for that! And the MRP

Rocco Jones
05-07-2011, 12:45 AM
I hate this trend towards injury being a determinant of how serious the penalty is. If that type of tackle is not OK, it shouldn't matter if he hits his head or not. Same as a hip and shoulder that catches a guy high, if he breaks a cheekbone or jaw, everyone goes into hysterics and the player is all of a sudden looking at a much harsher penalty.

Sling tackles are a hard one to call IMO, i it is all in one motion and a ferocious tackle injures the opponent, thats just bad luck for them. If it is a situation where you complete a tackle and then continue with a second dumping motion, well thats what they need to address quite harshly.

Totally agree.