PDA

View Full Version : Round #16 Match Committee

GVGjr
01-07-2011, 06:24 PM
If you were on the Match Committee who would the likely ins and outs for the round 16 home game against the Carlton Blues on Sunday evening next week?

GVGjr
02-07-2011, 12:26 AM
Likely changes?

comrade
02-07-2011, 12:33 AM
Likely changes?

Barlow struggled, as did Hooper. I thought Hoops got sucked up to high and he had the fumbles below his knees which is unforgivable when you're not much taller than a garden gnome.

I'm not sure what Barlow's role is. Can someone advise?

I thought Reid looked sharp in the last quarter. The sub rule suits him, IMO.

Gilbee let his man off the leash too many times. Scholfield or Howard would return similar results at this point, but provide a much better return on investment.

For mine:

OUT:

Barlow, Hooper, Gilbee

IN:

Roughead, Howard, Schofield/Wallis/Libba based on Willy game

GVGjr
02-07-2011, 12:35 AM
If Lake comes in could Markovic be the (very) unlucky man?

Barlow and Hooper could make way.

Plenty of Bulldog listed players at the Seagulls better have good games or get lost in the shuffle.

comrade
02-07-2011, 12:38 AM

Plenty of Bulldog listed players at the Seagulls better have good games or get lost in the shuffle.

I thought Marko was great tonight. Brian would have to prove he is back to his absolute best to replace Marko, otherwise, he can continue to play at Willy.

Could Wood be a chance for a spell? His first half was pretty poor.

Throughandthrough
02-07-2011, 12:44 AM
I thought Marko was great tonight. .

Apart from everything he did in the first half, yeah I agree.

I actually thought he had a shocker.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
02-07-2011, 12:45 AM
Barlow & Hooper out

Either Roughy or Minson to come in (here's hoping Roughy can produce a good performance as I'd prefer him) & one other spot for a midfielder/small forward to come in depending on performances for Willy, maybe out of Wallis/Libba or Djerrkura.

** If Lake is impressive then Marko to possibly make way

MrMahatma
02-07-2011, 01:23 AM
Barlow seemed our go-to man with long kicks - but he didn't pluck too many. Thought he was OK - but didn't add much value.

Hooper - yeah, not a good one at all.

Gilb struggled a bit defensively also.

Would def like to see Roughead or Ayce come in. Hopefully Lake can too.

Massive game. If we win, we'll be in decent shape for making the 8 all of a sudden!

AndrewP6
02-07-2011, 01:50 AM
Without knowing results at Willi, I'll venture:

OUT: Barlow, Hooper
IN: Minson, Libba/Wallis

LostDoggy
02-07-2011, 01:52 AM

You were watching a different game to me then.

BulldogBelle
02-07-2011, 02:04 AM

Bull! Marko played well and should stay for sure - should never have been dropped.

stefoid
02-07-2011, 08:24 AM
Barlow competed and lost so many contests. He doesnt scrap for the ball well.

Desipura
02-07-2011, 09:17 AM
Cmon guys, we played our best game all year (all be it ordinary opposition) and you are saying that there should be 4 changes?
Depending on form Lake and perhaps Hill for Marko and Hooper who looked like a player way out of his depth, he should not even be on a senior list let alone getting a game!

LostDoggy
02-07-2011, 10:12 AM
Goodbye Hooper, Hello Libba. No brainer for mine.
Happy to leave Lake in cotton-wool for a few more weeks.
He's only playing OK at Willy and I'm not convinced his head is right. Marko's a very decent alternate until the real Brian Lake stands up. IMO he is a good chance to be consistently in the best 22 if he keeps on giving....

bornadog
02-07-2011, 10:39 AM
Out Barlow, Gilbee

In Roughead or Cordy, Hargrave

Bulldog Joe
02-07-2011, 10:47 AM
As a strong supporter of Minson, I don't get anyone pushing for him to come in at the expense of Barlow.
While Hudson alone is a risk in the ruck I thought Jones was adequate and certainly better than the other pinch hit options we have tried.

Barlow got to contests and provided a contest in the air. We were also not as exposed for run as occurred the previous week with Hall and Minson inside 50. I think this also contributed to Hall doing better defensively.

Unfortunately for Will there is now only one spot for him and he is competing with Hudson for it. While I believe there is not much between the pair, the MC decided on Huddo and he repaid their faith. He at least knows he has to continue to perform because Will can easily take his place.

What we need is continued improvement from Cordy as I think he may be the player to take Barlow's spot, based on the good report from the last Williamstown game.

GVGjr
02-07-2011, 10:56 AM
Out Barlow, Gilbee

In Roughead or Cordy, Hargrave

Hargrave isn't playing tomorrow so he shouldn't be in consideration.

bornadog
02-07-2011, 11:03 AM
Hargrave isn't playing tomorrow so he shouldn't be in consideration.

I am expecting him to come straight back in, but will depend on his recovery. He told my mate two weeks ago he would play last night, so I am basing it on that.

SlimPickens
02-07-2011, 11:24 AM
Minimal changes for me, thought the team game in regards to tackling and pressure on the ball carrier was very good. The one player we have to seriously look at is Gilbee, i'd be thinking either Schofield or Howard to get another crack. Would still give Hooper another week.

Out: Gilbee
In: Schofield

G-Mo77
02-07-2011, 11:33 AM
Unless there are injuries I see no change to the team. The ruck could be a concern with Warnock and Kruezer so maybe Will comes back or Roughead/Cordy. Jones did a pretty good job as a backup though so perhaps just roll with that again.

Lake? No thanks. Don't want him back at all to be honest.
Shaggy can come through the VFL and push his way into the team.

Desipura
02-07-2011, 11:47 AM
Barlow dislocated his finger right in front of me and Rocket mentioned this is why he was subbed off.
Otherwise I believe Hooper would have been subbed.

LongWait
02-07-2011, 12:41 PM
Hooper hasn't shown me that he has any of the qualities a small forward needs to be an AFL footballer. Grommet well ahead of him and I don't think we need two midget forwards. So Hooper to make way for a mid-sized forward who can take a turn in the midfield (Libba; Wallis; Howard.)

I agree with Bulldog Joe's view that Hudson and Minson should be competing for the one spot. We are too slow with both in the side. I'd love to see Roughead or Cordy play soon but I'm not sure that next week is the game to do it. Jones might be capable of relieving Hudson again next week.

Rocco Jones
02-07-2011, 01:14 PM
Just on a few things.

Barlow- obviously not a star but I had no issues with him not having a clear 'role' last week. I think last night was less about him and more about how we used him. I also wonder when he hurt his finger and if that affect him. Just because he is tall, doesn't mean he is suited to being a long bomb target. His main strength isn't his height, it's his aerobic capacity.

I think he has the ability to use his height, he just struggles when his opponent has time to engage in physical contact. To me he is a tall mid/half foward type. He offers ruck support if we want to keep Jones forward or Hudson/Jones gets an injury and can help out down back if there is an injury. I know those just in case options aren't primary reasons to select him but they add to his tool set.

I still have him as a borderline selection, just easy to forget he had a quality game last week.

Gilee- He is a hard one for me. I know he let his opponent/s free too often but I rated his disposal. Others have mentioned Howard/Schofield and it reminds me of Sockeye's better young than good kind of thinking.

I definitely think Gilb's offered more in an attacking sense that par for the young pair but Schofield would offer more defensively. I think we went a bit overboard on playing the kids a few weeks back (not blaming the MC, I was totally with them) and I guess I don't see being old as that much of a deal breaker (compared to a couple of weeks ago). That being said, he is on very borrowed time.

Jones- I actually liked his time in the ruck. I don't think we can really keep him as a pure forward ATM so the added bonus is great.

Markovic- I liked his game but even that aside, I think we looked better with the extra tall back. I would only drop him if Lake has a quality game down back tomorrow.

Hooper- Looked a bit out of his depth, that's for sure.

Lake- has to dominate his week to get back in IMO

Roughead/Cordy- as much as I like them long term, I really have big doubts about what they offer us short term (which is relatively a minor issue). I don't see them as offering much in the ruck and also being ineffective up forward. As contradictory as it is though, I would love to see them play due to long term reasons and the fact Barlow/Jones hardly offer much anyway.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So ins and outs wise...

Hooper out for the best small forward/mid option out of Libba, Wallis, DJ and Hill.

If Lake dominates up forward I think we have to sacrifice one of Jones or Barlow for him. If has dominates down back, then Markovic makes way for him.

Roughead/Cordy out for Jones/Barlow if one of the rucks does really well tomorrow in an all round capacity

LostDoggy
02-07-2011, 01:42 PM
I think we need to stop bringing vfl/2011-debutants in for 1 week and dropping them the next, would like to see Hoops show a bit more next week then decide whether he has a place in the fwd line.

So I'll say the one change with Gilbee to go back and find more confidence, bring in Schofield to take on one of Carltons small forwards

Rocco Jones
02-07-2011, 01:44 PM
So I'll say the one change with Gilbee to go back and find more confidence, bring in Schofield to take on one of Carltons small forwards

That's a great point. Carlton's small forwards make an actual ability/willigness to defend especially important.

Topdog
02-07-2011, 01:46 PM
You can't drop someone after playing only 1 game unless the promotion was undeserved ala Zeph.

ledge
02-07-2011, 02:27 PM
How good are we looking next year with all the young guns who probably deserve a game but cant get in?
I am just reading these posts and we are talking about so many kids who arent in the 22 at the moment being mentioned.

Sockeye Salmon
02-07-2011, 02:30 PM
Has anyone else noted how Barlow doesn't jump - at all.

I'll stand by my first call, he is a Nick Bruton standard spud.

LostDoggy
02-07-2011, 03:08 PM
I would like to see Dahlhaus and Wallis as our FP,s , good speed from the Grominator and Wallis likes to stick a tackle , move Gia to CHF , Jones and Grant a bit wider where they seem more comfortable

HF : .....Jones.....Giansiracusa.....Grant
FF : .Dahlhaus..........Hall............Wallis

Hooper can keep his spot just moves to the bench

LostDoggy
02-07-2011, 03:09 PM

Said the same thing in a marking contest last night. He had good position just didn't jump at the ball.

immortalmike
02-07-2011, 03:44 PM
NO CHANGE!

Haven't seen this all year.

LostDoggy
02-07-2011, 04:04 PM
Cmon guys, we played our best game all year (all be it ordinary opposition) and you are saying that there should be 4 changes?
Depending on form Lake and perhaps Hill for Marko and Hooper who looked like a player way out of his depth, he should not even be on a senior list let alone getting a game!

My two cents looking forward -

I agree about Hooper, I doubt he will make it, but I still don't mind seeing him get a 3 or 4 game run at it so we can make an informed descision on him come the end of the year.
Wood for mine will be a keeper but if he needs a spell in the twos when Shaggy is available it won't hurt his development at all. Grant, Dal, Libba, Wallis and Jones are keepers obviously.

Sometimes I wonder how the hell we are supposed to get a good reading on guys like Schofield and Howard when they are in and out of the team and never get a chance to settle. Correct me if im wrong but we are not going to win the flag this year right?... we need to see what these guys have to offer.

Sam Reid and Stack are two others that need 3 or 4 games on the trot so we can get a good gauge on them before the end of the year. They both can offer something imo, particularly Reid who I have a giant man crush on.

Josh hill ..who knows!!!???
Roughy and Cordy need some more time but are worth persevering with.

The only other guy we need to get out there soon is Ves to see where he is at. I'm telling you guys i think he will compliment Gia beautifully.

When Sherman is available Hooper goes straight out.
When Shaggy and Lake are ready we should be starting to look quite good, with Marko and Wood putting pressure on them for their spots.

Not bad for a half-season mini rebuild. I can easily see us finishing 4- 6 next year .

Raw Toast
02-07-2011, 05:13 PM
After having spent much of the season down on Gilbee, it looks like I'm more pro him than anyone else who has commented so far. Still probably on borrowed time, but he's looked to me to be turning a bit of a corner the last couple of weeks - his disposal was good, and the thing he is doing especially well is anticipating opposition attacks and leaving his man to cut off an earlier pass or to limit their fast break.

I think Gilbee stood up early last night, and although he had a few lapses I would keep him in cause he can still add something to our finals push (should it come to that). Our defense also needs ordering and I think he can do that a lot better at the moment than people like Howard or Schofield.

Despite this, Barlow had a few really good weeks until last night - he's more a midfielder and a bit of a poor man's Murphy as a half-forward type. If he's not injured I'd prefer to keep him for another week - his running power is likely to be important against the Blues.

I really liked Markovic's game - the problems were early when he and Wood were together and both flew a couple of times, and an errant hand-pass later in the game, but he competed really well.

Hooper didn't do enough to demand a place, but he did improve as the game went on (his assist to Gia was important and showed decent composure). He took along time to adjust to the pace of the game, and I wouldn't mind giving him a second chance as one week is harsh. That said, I don't hold out a heap of hope that he'll become a decent AFL player.

Can't quite believe the calls for Roughead (who hasn't been going that well for Willi as far as the reports I've read indicate), and while I wouldn't mind Cordy if he has another standout this weekend, I thought Jones did really well and run is just so important for us.

Rocco Jones
02-07-2011, 05:30 PM
If ever there's a type that gets it from the crowd for being spuds it's the ones who have elite running as their main strength. Ed Barlow well and truly fits into that category. Not saying he is going to be much but I believe most fans really underrate elite running. They see Barlow on his own and don't appreciate the hard work it takes. Being able to outrun your opponent time and time again is not as clearly impressive as hitting a great pass or the like but obvously important.

On the flipside, no point having elite running power and just running around like a headless chook!

JohnGentStand
02-07-2011, 06:00 PM
Huddo cannot ruck vs Warnock & Kruezer........If the match commitee dont add another big man for Hooper I would be stunned.

immortalmike
02-07-2011, 06:26 PM
Huddo cannot ruck vs Warnock & Kruezer........If the match commitee dont add another big man for Hooper I would be stunned.

Just like he could not ruck against Jamar and Martin...:rolleyes:

LostDoggy
02-07-2011, 06:32 PM
If ever there's a type that gets it from the crowd for being spuds it's the ones who have elite running as their main strength. Ed Barlow well and truly fits into that category. Not saying he is going to be much but I believe most fans really underrate elite running. They see Barlow on his own and don't appreciate the hard work it takes. Being able to outrun your opponent time and time again is not as clearly impressive as hitting a great pass or the like but obvously important.

On the flipside, no point having elite running power and just running around like a headless chook!

I really wanted to punch a couple of bulldogs supporters sitting near me who just gave it to Barlow all night. They actually cheered when he went off. Is this what you are talking about Rocco? As far as i'm concerned they are not real supporters and can go f%$k themselves. disgraceful .

Rocco Jones
02-07-2011, 06:36 PM
I really wanted to punch a couple of bulldogs supporters sitting near me who just gave it to Barlow all night. They actually cheered when he went off. Is this what you are talking about Rocco? As far as i'm concerned they are not real supporters and can go f%$k themselves. disgraceful .

Yep. Look I can get fans getting annoyed at him because he has very obvious limitations but I think it's heighted because his strength is something a lot of fans simply over look. It's like they think he is getting soft/easy touches whenever he gets the ball by himself. His elite running gets him these chances. Look I am not saying he is much, but I just think his style is made to harshly criticised by fans.

JohnGentStand
02-07-2011, 06:43 PM
Jamar & Martin are are completely different proposition to Warnock & Kruezer......Jamar was 2nd game back from a fair break & Martin is a makeshift ruck. Warnock is 7ft tall and can play a bit & Kreuzer is a gun the gets forward and hurts you......
Huddo is not superman,....he WILL need help in this game.

LongWait
02-07-2011, 06:43 PM
Yep. Look I can get fans getting annoyed at him because he has very obvious limitations but I think it's heighted because his strength is something a lot of fans simply over look. It's like they think he is getting soft/easy touches whenever he gets the ball by himself. His elite running gets him these chances. Look I am not saying he is much, but I just think his style is made to harshly criticised by fans.

If Hall and Jones hadn't butchered Barlows' excellent passes inside 50 over the past weeks some might have a more positive attitude to him. Barlow is an excellent kick to a leading player and also works exceptionally hard to create the outlet option (ala Eagleton.) I think he has earned his spot in the side and has earned the right to stay there for at least another week or two (unless his finger prevents.) He will, however, keep being potted by some supporters becuase he is not Callan Ward-like in his approach to the contest.

LostDoggy
02-07-2011, 06:45 PM
Bull! Marko played well and should stay for sure - should never have been dropped.
Like you, I was surprised that some posters were questioning Marko's game last night.

Was delighted to hear the positive comments of Chris Grant, Stan Alves and Mark McClure on ABC radio today. They all said he played well and I think either Chris or Stan said something like this ..... "didn't Murphy and Markovic play well in defence last night. The inclusion of Markovic just adds something to the Bulldogs defence."

Ghost Dog
02-07-2011, 08:40 PM
Went to the Carlton Game today. Even blues supporters started to leave early to beat the traffic.
going to cause us headaches next week.

Judd + Warnock = major hurdle.
Waite + Murphy = defenders are going to have it coming in to the 50 all night long. Made mincemeat of the tigers.
Seeing Carton up close made me realize how much talent they have.

the thing is, they are a quite cocky SOBs and the tigers dropped off badly besides Nahas who had 29 touches.
Judd needs to be tagged and Scotland shut down ( a much underrated player )
Warnock, crash and bash, tire him out.
We'll need a much better foward line than last night to beat them.
Tall, skilled and fit.
Huge challenge for our boys.

always right
02-07-2011, 09:53 PM

Cough...splutter.....surely you are taking the piss. I recall him making too disposal errors in the first half but apart from those he was excellent and will definitely hold his spot for next week.

Remi Moses
02-07-2011, 10:29 PM
Must be something in the water in Adelaide( no bad pun intended)I thought Markovic was fairly good! Barlow had his worst game after a couple of good ones.I'd like the second ruckman option and stretch Carlton down back! In- Roughy out - S. Reid or Hooper( unlucky both players)

Remi Moses
02-07-2011, 10:33 PM
Carlton should have a good side considering they tanked for 5 years!:mad:

Rocco Jones
03-07-2011, 01:27 AM
Interesting to see what we do to counter their smallish forward line.

Waite and Walker are their taller forwards along with Kruz when not in the ruck. Then there's Garlett and Betts.

A bit worried that their forward line will be too mobile for Markovic. Boy oh boy how good it would be to have a fit Lake to zone off his smaller opponent and create havoc. I guess we will use him how the Eagles used Glass. Play on Kruz when forward then giving Williams a break on Waite (not that Waite played against the Eagles but you know what I mean).

chef
03-07-2011, 10:50 AM
I am expecting him to come straight back in, but will depend on his recovery. He told my mate two weeks ago he would play last night, so I am basing it on that.

That's just madness if that happens. Needs to play at least a week at Willi IMO.

Sedat
03-07-2011, 11:37 AM
going to cause us headaches next week.

Judd + Warnock = major hurdle.
Waite + Murphy = defenders are going to have it coming in to the 50 all night long. Made mincemeat of the tigers.
Seeing Carton up close made me realize how much talent they have.
The Carlton game will be won and lost in the middle. Richmond's defensive pressure at stoppages was so laughably inept, it gave their already poor defence no chance whatsoever to compete against a superior forward line.

Sockeye Salmon
03-07-2011, 11:41 AM

Are we still talking about Barlow or have we moved on to Cross?

Rocco Jones
03-07-2011, 11:43 AM
The Carlton game will be won and lost in the middle. Richmond's defensive pressure at stoppages was so laughably inept, it gave their already poor defence no chance whatsoever to compete against a superior forward line.

Picken to follow Judd around the ground but this is the perfect time to see Boyd as a more defensive player. Griff and Coons* are back so he doesn't need to try to be a jet anymore.

* depending on how his knee pulls up this week and any week for the rest of his career.

Sockeye Salmon
03-07-2011, 11:43 AM

X 100 when the 'supporters' are talking about a club legend like Giansiracusa

Rocco Jones
03-07-2011, 11:46 AM
Are we still talking about Barlow or have we moved on to Cross?

I was thinking of Cross when I was writing that. Yes, I do feel people are especially harsh on Cross as well because of his strength being underappreciated and his weaknesses very clear to all IMO. Stanton is another one I was thinking of.

I am not saying they are elite, guns or even very good but that isn't the benchmark for the 22.

Rocco Jones
03-07-2011, 11:48 AM
X 100 when the 'supporters' are talking about a club legend like Giansiracusa

Perhaps due to starting to drink heavily before games now but I have been pretty vocal about how our 'fans' treat Gia recently. As I keep on saying to anyone within earshot, we only sing about Gia when he is stuffing up. Everytime he does something good our fans either just remain quiet as if it is simply to be excepted or do not realise it.

ledge
03-07-2011, 11:52 AM
Gia and Griffin have been our standouts in hard times that we havent seen for years.
Now we see why Gia was thought of in the captain ranks not long ago.

Rocco Jones
03-07-2011, 11:55 AM
Gia and Griffin have been our standouts in hard times that we havent seen for years.
Now we see why Gia was thought of in the captain ranks not long ago.

Ironically perhaps Gia is playing like a captain because of the potential captain pressures being lifted off his back.

LongWait
03-07-2011, 12:00 PM
Ironically perhaps Gia is playing like a captain because of the potential captain pressures being lifted off his back.

Had Gia played like this consistently last year he should have been a shoe-in for Captain. Alas, it took Aker to sting him into action and consistent effort.

Rocco Jones
03-07-2011, 12:05 PM
Had Gia played like this consistently last year he should have been a shoe-in for Captain. Alas, it took Aker to sting him into action and consistent effort.

Yep.

I don't want to be nasty and this is ironic considering my post about defending him but perhaps it's about the different types of pressure. The pressure that comes with playing in huge games like close prelims can be very different to when the side is really struggling.

Whatever the case, the last 6 games from Gia have been fantastic.

LongWait
03-07-2011, 12:12 PM
Yep.

I don't want to be nasty and this is ironic considering my post about defending him but perhaps it's about the different types of pressure. The pressure that comes with playing in huge games like close prelims can be very different to when the side is really struggling.

Whatever the case, the last 6 games from Gia have been fantastic.

Clearly our best player over this period.

ledge
03-07-2011, 12:17 PM

I think over the years he has been a player who has had to drag his opponent out of the way of players like Johnson, Hall etc so he has never been looked for, with Johnno retiring and Hall struggling, Gia has had his role changed by the coach and has had to present and be the main forward.

Maddog37
03-07-2011, 12:39 PM

Griff might shade him IMO.

LostDoggy
03-07-2011, 12:54 PM
Out Hooper
In Addison

chef
03-07-2011, 01:00 PM
Out Hooper
In Addison

How's he been travelling lately?

LostDoggy
03-07-2011, 01:41 PM

Gia's form was mentioned on the Sunday Footy Show, Derm says near his career best. Averaging 20 disposals and 3.5 goals in his past 5 games, having a great second half of the year.

LongWait
03-07-2011, 02:30 PM

Griff has been our best player over the year played so far: more consistent and certainly by far our best player for the first 9 games. In the past 4 to 6 games Gia has Griff covered imho. Both are playing extremely well for us now.

Maddog37
03-07-2011, 02:53 PM
I will say that Gia has really stood out with his leadership and played at a high level when the team has been going well or not so well. Great to see him get some strut back.

Ghost Dog
03-07-2011, 03:22 PM

Agree with above Sedat
Also, when Richmond did get the footy, they obviously had nobody who could kick accurately just on 50. They kept trying to hit a target in front of goal which just ended up as a boundary throw in. No confidence to slot them from any distance. Meanwhile, Judd was kicking them from the center square.
At times we're going to have to ignore a booming, demanding Barry and just go for broke. Like to see a few players back themselves in a bit and have a stab.

Richmond looked lost during kick in. A complete. Simply not taken quick enough after a point and lacking confidence, gave Blues lots of time to lock it in. Faster kick ins please.

Rocco Jones
03-07-2011, 07:55 PM
I wasn't as critical of Gilbee's game on Friday night as some but I really don't think he suits playing against Carlton atm. The Blues don't have a Brown, Pav, JRoo or Buddy in their forward line but they do have is depth in dangerous options. That depth depends to punish defenders who let others do the defensive work. I am not sure how much Howard can offer defensively. I like him more as an overall player than Schofiled but perhaps the latter offers more in the specific role we need against the Blues.

Go_Dogs
03-07-2011, 08:10 PM
Griff has been our best player over the year played so far: more consistent and certainly by far our best player for the first 9 games. In the past 4 to 6 games Gia has Griff covered imho. Both are playing extremely well for us now.

Griff averaging 25 disposals (because of one low week) and 2 goals a game over the period too (last 5 games). He's also averaging 4 tackles, 5 inside 50's, 10 contested possessions and 5 clearances. Not discounting Gia's form at all, because he has been very, very good. Griff has been amazing though, and almost seems underrated to some extent for his consistent performances.

Rocco Jones
03-07-2011, 08:21 PM
After watchin Willy...

IN: Roughead, Addison, Schofield
OUT: Jones, Hooper, Gilbee

Harsh on Jones I know but I think Roughead suits us up against Carlton a bit more. They have 2 quality rucks and without the 2nd ruck duties I just don't think Jones offers us enough. Love the kid long term but a combo of next getting it much and poor kicking really means he isn't giving us much at all.

I've mentioned a few times today that while I think Schofield isn't as good an overall player as neither Gilbee or Howard, I think he suits the small defensive role we need against Carlton.

Addison to play on Yarran.

Harsh on Hooper to be dropped after 1 game but some fans/posters treat it as if there's no communication during the week and Eade just tells him he is dropped! If handled well, I don't think it's that big an issue. Better to play a kid once and be positive with his exclusion next week then just not play him.

LongWait
03-07-2011, 08:39 PM
Griff averaging 25 disposals (because of one low week) and 2 goals a game over the period too (last 5 games). He's also averaging 4 tackles, 5 inside 50's, 10 contested possessions and 5 clearances. Not discounting Gia's form at all, because he has been very, very good. Griff has been amazing though, and almost seems underrated to some extent for his consistent performances.

All fair points. I'm happy to call a draw!

Nuggety Back Pocket
03-07-2011, 08:52 PM

Eade's comments after the Melbourne win didn't suggest that Lake will be back in the next couple of weeks. I thought Markovic showed enough to hold his place. I agree on Barlow and Hooper who do not appear good enough against a team like Carlton. A good opportunity to bring back Roughead and Liberatore. Roughead needs more senior experience looking forward.

westbulldog
03-07-2011, 09:06 PM
Hooper and Barlow out for Lake and Scholfield. I thought Barlow's effort was ok but he didn't seem to win many contested possessions.

Rocco Jones
03-07-2011, 09:18 PM
Hooper and Barlow out for Lake and Scholfield. I thought Barlow's effort was ok but he didn't seem to win many contested possessions.

As much as I hate to say I went to Willy so I know best but I went to Willy and Lake should not and will not be in our 22 next week. The best thing he can do atm is get on the end of a few cheapies.

ledge
03-07-2011, 09:30 PM
As much as I hate to say I went to Willy so I know best but I went to Willy and Lake should not and will not be in our 22 next week. The best thing he can do atm is get on the end of a few cheapies.

Eade said that even before yesterdays game.

chef
03-07-2011, 09:44 PM
Stack to replace Wood
Roughead to replace Barlow
Addison to replace Hooper

I would love to squeeze Tutt in for a game replacing either Gilbee or Cross but can't see that happening.

Bulldog Joe
03-07-2011, 10:14 PM
I thought Gilbee was ok and deserves another week. He does offer more than Schofield/Howard etc at the moment.

While I know it is not a reason for team selection, it is potentially a big week for Gilbs. Turns 30 on Friday and would be his 200th game if selected for Sunday.

We are a real chance for finals now and especially if we can win against Carlton. My feeling is pick the best side we can and Gilbee's experience could be important.

JohnGentStand
03-07-2011, 10:31 PM
out - Hooper

in - Minson

LostDoggy
03-07-2011, 10:35 PM
I think the selections this week will be more about the tactics in beating Carlton. Many were upset with the ins and outs for the Melbourne game but as Eade said they made changes based who they thought they would need to beat Melbourne and could carry our the strategy to do so. I think this week will be no different.

I reckon we wont make any changes and will go in with Hooper as the sub.

Does anyone think that we need another ruck against Carlton? Melbourne had 2 solid rucks and we seemed to cope ok.

If Kreuzer spends a lot of time up forward who could play on him? Could Markovic do the job?

Jasper
04-07-2011, 01:14 AM
heard on mmm today williams may need a should reco, anyone else hear this or have anymore info.

if so, out williams & barlow

in lake roughead

Rocco Jones
04-07-2011, 01:17 AM
Why do people have Lake as an in? He is a mile off being an AFL defender ATM.

soupman
04-07-2011, 02:25 AM
I would suggest that Stack should be considered a good chance as an in. According to match reports was given the job on one of the VFLs most dangerous small forwards and acquitted himself well. Surely that's preparation for this week?

Maddog37
04-07-2011, 09:26 AM
Did his opponent kick 5?

Ozza
04-07-2011, 10:41 AM
With all the calls for Gilbee to be dropped and questioning of his defensive efforts - can someone tell me who he was playing on, on Friday night.

I'm pretty sure he had Bennell for most of the first half - and Bennell barely had a kick before been subbed off. Gilbs had 18 possessions and a goal for the night.

I wouldn't be over inclined to make many, or any, changes given that we played our best game for the year and seemed to have an ok balance. Is anyone busting the door down at Willy?

Mantis
04-07-2011, 10:46 AM
With all the calls for Gilbee to be dropped and questioning of his defensive efforts - can someone tell me who he was playing on, on Friday night.

I'm pretty sure he had Bennell for most of the first half - and Bennell barely had a kick before been subbed off. Gilbs had 18 possessions and a goal for the night.

I wouldn't be over inclined to make many, or any, changes given that we played our best game for the year and seemed to have an ok balance. Is anyone busting the door down at Willy?

Bennell is a real quality opponent. :rolleyes:

When Gilbee was rotated onto Howe & Sylvia during the 3rd qtr he lost a couple of contests in a row when Melbourne were holding ground. He just doesn't cut the mustard in defensive contests anymore against players who aren't 'crabs'.

Looking forward to this weekend it is hard to find Gilbee a defensive match-up, but he is much more likely than unlikely to hold his spot... just hope he goes ok.

Rocco Jones
04-07-2011, 12:01 PM
Bennell is a real quality opponent. :rolleyes:

When Gilbee was rotated onto Howe & Sylvia during the 3rd qtr he lost a couple of contests in a row when Melbourne were holding ground. He just doesn't cut the mustard in defensive contests anymore against players who aren't 'crabs'.

Exactly my point.

I think it's easy to fall into the trap of simply picking your best 22 players when you really need to pick your best 22 to actually run out there and win a specific game each week.

When you're filling out your 22, defensive match ups are particularly important. If we were playing pretty much every other side (other than Eagles and maybe Pies) I would have Gilbee in but the Blues have too many dangerous forward options. Like I said earlier in this thread, they don't have a key target like Buddy but they have depth and pick on the opposition's weakest defensive link.

Who would we play Gilbee on? Kruz, Walker and Waite are obviously too tall. Betts and Garlett way too dangerous. Mitch Robinson is a defensive monster and I think Blues would love to target Gilbee with him. I think they would end very ugly for us.

the banker
04-07-2011, 12:53 PM
IMO Gilbee is a good pack spoiler and has othrer attributes that still warrant a place in the team. Howver I agree with Rocco Jones and others that this week we needa lock down type for some of teh small forwards. Addison apparently had a good game at Willi so I would think that he is a candidate to either play back on Betts/Gartlett or forward on Yarran.

Is Schofield experienced enough for this task?

Who do we think Wood will take?

Mantis
04-07-2011, 01:01 PM
IMO Gilbee is a good pack spoiler and has othrer attributes that still warrant a place in the team. Howver I agree with Rocco Jones and others that this week we needa lock down type for some of teh small forwards. Addison apparently had a good game at Willi so I would think that he is a candidate to either play back on Betts/Gartlett or forward on Yarran.

Both Gartlett & Betts will have too much toe & agility for Addison.

Is Schofield experienced enough for this task?

Probably not, but we won't die wondering if he plays.

Who do we think Wood will take?

Possibly Walker??

Depends on a whole range of things which includes who Morris & Murphy take - FWIW I have Morris on Betts and Murphy on Gartlett.

Mofra
04-07-2011, 02:24 PM
Depends on a whole range of things which includes who Morris & Murphy take - FWIW I have Morris on Betts and Murphy on Gartlett.
I'd be happy if we can stick to two match ups.
Williams to take Kreuzer, Markovic on Waite, Wood to play on Walker (just need to push him to the flanks so he scrubs the kicks).

That leaves one match up depending on who Carlton play forward.

stefoid
04-07-2011, 03:04 PM
Exactly my point.

Who would we play Gilbee on? Kruz, Walker and Waite are obviously too tall. Betts and Garlett way too dangerous. Mitch Robinson is a defensive monster and I think Blues would love to target Gilbee with him. I think they would end very ugly for us.

I have no problem with gilbee on gartlet or betts, he is OK defensively.

More to the point who is marcovic going to pay on? I think he might have to sit this one out.

LostDoggy
04-07-2011, 03:26 PM
Waite had groin issues for most of the day and was taken off early in the last quarter and didnt return.

Here's hoping he doesn't pull up well this week and can't get up for this weeks game.

I think Roughead has to come in this week. With Jamison missing Carlton played Lachie Henderson on J Roo, he still kicked 4 goals in a team that got smacked.

I think Hall and Roughead vs Thorton/Henderson could be 2 match-ups very much in our favour.

In: Stack, Roughead,
Out: Hooper, Gilbee

Mantis
04-07-2011, 03:49 PM

Good luck with that one.

More to the point who is marcovic going to pay on? I think he might have to sit this one out.

Would think that Markovic would play on either Waite or Kruezer.

Bulldog Joe
04-07-2011, 04:40 PM
I would have Williams on Waite as he would be too mobile for Markovic. Markovic can take Kreuzer/Warnock as he is good body on body.
I would have Wood on Walker and Morris can be the bookmaker and take Betts.
I like Higgins for Garlett as I think he will worry Carlton if he plays like he did against Melbourne. Murphy as our floater and his run will also concern Carlton.

Gilbee is the bench relief defender who can also get under their guard.

LostDoggy
04-07-2011, 06:00 PM
What about Gilbee forward this week?

Rocco Jones
04-07-2011, 06:12 PM

Please baby Jesus don't let this happen. Betts would be a bad match up but Garlett would be utterly scary.

What about Gilbee forward this week?

I think that only works if he has a back up opponent down back, which he doesn't IMO. I actually think Gilbee still has something to offer but not against forward lines with no real weak links.

DragzLS1
04-07-2011, 06:13 PM
I hope we smash em by 55 points! Can't wait to go to the game

westbulldog
04-07-2011, 07:47 PM
Why do people have Lake as an in? He is a mile off being an AFL defender ATM.

I didn't mention him coming in as a defender Roc.

SlimPickens
04-07-2011, 09:13 PM
Carltons forward line is incredibly dangerous and their real strength has been the multitude of goal kickers. For me i would set Picken for one of Betts or Garlett, this would prevent a tight tag on Murphy (Carlton) but may shut down one of those carlton smalls. Wood gets the job on the other as a pure negating role.

Initially i would have payed Morris on Walker, but considering Higgins job on Sylvia last friday i would consider giving him the role.

Certainly plenty for the MC to consider.

1eyedog
04-07-2011, 11:29 PM
I would have Williams on Waite as he would be too mobile for Markovic. Markovic can take Kreuzer/Warnock as he is good body on body.
I would have Wood on Walker and Morris can be the bookmaker and take Betts.
I like Higgins for Garlett as I think he will worry Carlton if he plays like he did against Melbourne. Murphy as our floater and his run will also concern Carlton.

Gilbee is the bench relief defender who can also get under their guard.

A scary proposition. Higgins was able to play the way he did last Friday night because he was on a far slower, less dangerous opposition player than Garlett. If Higgins goes to Garlett it will be all he can do to restrict him and I don't think we will be able to expect any rebound or set ups from Higgins. If Garlett and Higgins had a 100 metre race Higgo would still be at the 50 as Garlett crosses the tape.

Rocco Jones
04-07-2011, 11:41 PM
A scary proposition. Higgins was able to play the way he did last Friday night because he was on a far slower, less dangerous opposition player than Garlett. If Higgins goes to Garlett it will be all he can do to restrict him and I don't think we will be able to expect any rebound or set ups from Higgins. If Garlett and Higgins had a 100 metre race Higgo would still be at the 50 as Garlett crosses the tape.

Totally agree. Yet another reason we can't play Gilbee IMO too. Gilbee and Higgins in the same backline against Carlton's forward line depth would be a recipe for disaster. Both are attack before defence type defenders but Higgins is better at both attack and defence atm. I think Robinson will go to Higgins.

I only see one man for Garlett and that's Morris due to his pace (Picken is another option but you'd think he'd get Judd or Murphy).

Bulldog Joe
04-07-2011, 11:47 PM

I would back Higgins footy smarts and strength in the contest. It is not just about running speed.

Really see our rebounders as dangerous counter attack for Carlton. Higgins did really well at getting the footy, in the air and on the ground.

Bulldog Joe
04-07-2011, 11:49 PM
Totally agree. Yet another reason we can't play Gilbee IMO too. Gilbee and Higgins in the same backline against Carlton's forward line depth would be a recipe for disaster. Both are attack before defence type defenders but Higgins is better at both attack and defence atm. I think Robinson will go to Higgins.

I only see one man for Garlett and that's Morris due to his pace (Picken is another option but you'd think he'd get Judd or Murphy).

I see Betts as the most dangerous Carlton forward and that makes him the one for Morris.

Rocco Jones
04-07-2011, 11:54 PM
I see Betts as the most dangerous Carlton forward and that makes him the one for Morris.

Yep, I can get that line of thinking mate. I think Garlett is more dangerous when given space and more affected by a tight leash if it makes sense. Sometimes it's not just about who is the most dangerous but also who is most affected by tag, Danyle Pearce is a good example.

I think pace wise and the tight leash reasons make Morris our match up for Garlett and taking a punt on Bobby on Betts. Either way I can definitely understand your line of thinking though, it's just personally how I rate Garlett and Betts.

LostDoggy
05-07-2011, 12:12 AM
Picken to stay down back, Boyd to Judd and Gilbee forward.
Barlow for Roughy.
Marko for Lake if he is ready. The reason people call for Lake is because he is a gun full back and we miss him. I dont get to watch any Will matches.
Libba for Reid or Hooper?

lemmon
05-07-2011, 12:52 AM
Id be looking at bringing in Addison or playing Hooper as a defensive forward on Yarran, we really cant let him have space, he'll cut us up through the middle. Id be playing Boyd on Judd as an inside tag. You really need a bigger body then Picken on a guy like Judd with his inside contested work, look at the success Hocking has had on these types for the Dons, Boyd to Judd and Picken to Murphy who is a superior outside runner anyway. Down back is where all the questions seem to be, I'd go Morris to Betts, Williams to Waite, Markovic takes the ruckmen, Wood to Walker and Murphy to Gartlett, if I was Ratten though I'd be looking at really isolating Woods opponent so we probably need some more defensive cover, Hargrave would be really nice so I wonder if theres any chance of rushing him straight back in? If not then it probably has to be Schofield or maybe even Stack for Gilbee.

aker39
07-07-2011, 01:31 PM
Barlow is out with finger injury.

bornadog
07-07-2011, 01:38 PM

Roughead in?

1eyedog
07-07-2011, 01:40 PM
Totally agree. Yet another reason we can't play Gilbee IMO too. Gilbee and Higgins in the same backline against Carlton's forward line depth would be a recipe for disaster. Both are attack before defence type defenders but Higgins is better at both attack and defence atm. I think Robinson will go to Higgins. I only see one man for Garlett and that's Morris due to his pace (Picken is another option but you'd think he'd get Judd or Murphy).

That would be a win for us I feel. It means that he won't go to Bob Murphy and it should free Bob up a bit. Furthermore, Robinson has been very damaging in the midfield, probably their most improved next to Murphy and if he plays a defensive role on Higgins then there only other reall defensive midfield option is Carazzo and I don't rate him.

Rocco Jones
07-07-2011, 01:57 PM

Roughead in?

I get your line of thinking bornadog but Barlow hasn't played the 2nd ruck role for us. I think what we lose most from Barlow being out is his run and I would like to see him replaced by a runner/mid.

For mine Roughy should be battling for the 2nd ruck spot with Jones. As much as I love Jones, he doesn't offer us enough ATM without ruck duties. I'm happy to have either in.

always right
07-07-2011, 02:05 PM
I get your line of thinking bornadog but Barlow hasn't played the 2nd ruck role for us. I think what we lose most from Barlow being out is his run and I would like to see him replaced by a runner/mid.

For mine Roughy should be battling for the 2nd ruck spot with Jones. As much as I love Jones, he doesn't offer us enough ATM without ruck duties. I'm happy to have either in.

I don't get this. Jones is our only lead up forward. Why do people get in their minds he doesn't offer enough?

bornadog
07-07-2011, 02:09 PM

I think the MC will bring Roughead in.

bornadog
07-07-2011, 02:36 PM

Had an operation on Monday and he said he will play next week.