PDA

View Full Version : Easton Wood

Go_Dogs
02-07-2011, 11:02 AM
I think Wood is a very interesting player, going all the way back to being 'a well cooked smokie' draft selection. My question is, what is going to be his best position long term?

At the start of the year he'd been very much pegged by supporters as the great hope to replace Harbrow's run and carry off half back. We knew Wood to be an athletic prospect who likes dashing runs.

My concerns are, he simply doesn't get enough of the ball. Is this because?
a) Trying to concentrate on defence first?
b) Fitness?
c) Lack of instinct to make position to receive?

His defensive ability is also a little concerning. Has lost the ball a few times in the air recently. Not sure if this is because generally he's been playing on bigger opponents and has been more concerned by them rather than watching the ball, because he has shown to be a good mark in the air.

Given Murphy and Higgins now look settled down back (which I like) could Wood move further up the field?

Where do others project him playing, and what sort of role over the next few years?

bornadog
02-07-2011, 11:06 AM
I thought he had a shocker last night, he was all at sea and didn't seem to know how to defend. We do need some one off the backline to run and carry, but so far this season he has only displayed a couple of flashes. He has still only played around 20 games so has lots of learning to do.

Desipura
02-07-2011, 11:08 AM
I thought he had a shocker last night, he was all at sea and didn't seem to know how to defend. We do need some one off the backline to run and carry, but so far this season he has only displayed a couple of flashes. He has still only played around 20 games so has lots of learning to do.

Did well playing on Jurrah, did you know he played on him for a part of the game?

bornadog
02-07-2011, 11:48 AM
Did well playing on Jurrah, did you know he played on him for a part of the game?

Yep he did and thats why he was moved:rolleyes:

Desipura
02-07-2011, 11:49 AM

Are you serious? Jurrah never looked like posing a threat even with him missing a few gettable goals

bornadog
02-07-2011, 11:54 AM
Are you serious? Jurrah never looked like posing a threat even with him missing a few gettable goals

The reason Wood was moved off him was because Jurrah was beating him, full stop.

Wood was beaten by every opponent last night.

ledge
02-07-2011, 12:47 PM
I dont think he is a defender, gets lost at what to do at times, maybe he is used to go and getting the ball.
Eade might not be too worried about his defensive work at the moment and just try using him on the oppositions worst forward and try and get run and carry off him while he learns.

Pickenitup
02-07-2011, 12:58 PM
I must have watched a different game last nite thought he was okay a couple of blues but the
Kid is still learning the game played under 20 games and will be a very good defender for us for
many years.

lemmon
02-07-2011, 01:06 PM
Wouldnt mind seeing have a run on the ball occasionally, skills are average but the run and dash wouldnt be out of place streaming down a wing. Could replace a bit of what we've lost with Sherman out.

A dogs life
02-07-2011, 01:31 PM

Murphy started on Jurrah and only a few had fixed players they played on all night.
Wood did ok & is still learning the game.

azabob
02-07-2011, 02:00 PM
I really like Wood and what he can bring.

We need to remember Wood started concentrating on football in his mid to late teens. Missing the first 8-9 rounds really would have hurt him fitness wise and also continuity wise.

Personally I think we need to stick with him and just play him.

Early on when Eade arrived he played players with a view to the long term such as Hargrave, Gilbee etc and I think the MC should do the same with Wood.

Mofra
02-07-2011, 02:16 PM
I thought last night he was terrible in the first half but did much better in the second.

It's not just the inexperience/20 games which is a factor though - he plays on all types, talla nd small, and each pose a different approach. With Markovic back to help our Tommy as second tall defender, Wood should be able to develop on players on a similar height & build.

He's shown enough to suggest to me he will be a long term player, he will just take time.

Sockeye Salmon
02-07-2011, 02:33 PM
It looked to me like Murphy was on Jarrah just about all night

Greystache
02-07-2011, 02:36 PM
He's been pretty ordinary since coming back from injury after a really promising preseason. We're also asking a lot of him considering he's very inexperienced and struggling for form, he's regularly playing on much bigger opponents and we're also asking him to rebound. I think we either need to free him up to rebound, or get him to play a pure defending role until he finds some form.

Desipura
02-07-2011, 02:49 PM

You must not have been at the game.

Happy Days
02-07-2011, 03:09 PM
You must not have been at the game.

Nah, Jurrah was on Murphy, Wood played on Petterd for most of the night.

The Bulldogs Bite
02-07-2011, 05:45 PM
Nah, Jurrah was on Murphy, Wood played on Petterd for most of the night.

This.

Still young and we should persist with him in the back half for the rest of the year.

However, long term, I think he could offer us something in the middle. His run and carry is dynamic.

LostDoggy
02-07-2011, 06:55 PM
Happy to get 50 games into him and then make a judgment.

JohnGentStand
02-07-2011, 07:00 PM
He wasn't good last night... He just doesnt kill the ball well enough when he commits.
Having said that I think the way he plays is worth persisting with. Hopefully confidence and decision making will grow week to week...
I hope he gets Garlett this week.

Mofra
02-07-2011, 07:25 PM
Ditto

Desipura
02-07-2011, 07:29 PM
Wood played on Jurrah for about 15 - 20 minutes for memory. Not in one hit.

comrade
02-07-2011, 07:35 PM
Wood played on Jurrah for about 15 - 20 minutes for memory. Not in one hit.

He might have been in Jurrah's vicinity for a tiny percent of the game but Murphy was his direct opponent. All night.

Desipura
02-07-2011, 07:42 PM
He might have been in Jurrah's vicinity for a tiny percent of the game but Murphy was his direct opponent. All night.

Yep, agree Wood was covering for when Murphy was running down field to provide rebound.
There is no way Wood is as confident in his running ability as he was prior to the injury

Go_Dogs
02-07-2011, 07:55 PM
Still young and we should persist with him in the back half for the rest of the year.

However, long term, I think he could offer us something in the middle. His run and carry is dynamic.

I tend to agree with this.

Probably should spend the remainder of the season down back, however going forward there will be increased competition for the small/medium defender roles, especially if Murphy and Higgins continue to play down back.

At the moment he isn't quite a running defender, or a lock down defender. The sum of his parts is definitely enough at the moment IMO (and to clarify for anyone if it seemed the OP was a suggestion for him to be dropped - far from it).

Could he eventually play a high half forward type role, and through the wings/middle where his overhead ability, power and run could be handy?

Ghost Dog
02-07-2011, 08:50 PM
I tend to agree with this.

Probably should spend the remainder of the season down back, however going forward there will be increased competition for the small/medium defender roles, especially if Murphy and Higgins continue to play down back.

At the moment he isn't quite a running defender, or a lock down defender. The sum of his parts is definitely enough at the moment IMO (and to clarify for anyone if it seemed the OP was a suggestion for him to be dropped - far from it).

Could he eventually play a high half forward type role, and through the wings/middle where his overhead ability, power and run could be handy?

Has flair and wants to use it. A better forward option than Grant IMO.

the banker
02-07-2011, 08:55 PM
Looked out of sorts I thought, couldnt get the rhythm of the game.

I think he can make it as a spoiling and re-bounding defender. Could also see him as an on baller or a run with player?

His big attribute is that he will take the game on, and has a few moves. ATM making a few mis-judgements.

Some of the defenders (Williams, Marko and Wood) seemed to take their eyes off the ball and concentrate on watching their man - they misjudged the drop of the ball and some of the spoiling was v poor.

LostDoggy
04-07-2011, 04:43 PM

I think he can make it as a spoiling and re-bounding defender. Could also see him as an on baller or a run with player?

His big attribute is that he will take the game on, and has a few moves. ATM making a few mis-judgements.

Some of the defenders (Williams, Marko and Wood) seemed to take their eyes off the ball and concentrate on watching their man - they misjudged the drop of the ball and some of the spoiling was v poor.

I agree that their spoiling can be poor but ithis is caused by ball watching rather than looking to have contact with their man. First make contact then look for the ball.

Cyberdoggie
05-07-2011, 11:21 AM

He has been out of form since he came back from a long injury. Has been improving though and is showing signs of some confidence now.

always right
05-07-2011, 04:01 PM
I agree that their spoiling can be poor but ithis is caused by ball watching rather than looking to have contact with their man. First make contact then look for the ball.

Personally I think Marko is close to the best spoiler in our side. Sweet timer.

1eyedog
05-07-2011, 06:27 PM

Jurrah couldn't catch a cold at the moment. I would like to see Wood released on a wing, especially with Shermo out. I think he would benefit with being freed up.