PDA

View Full Version : Cooney

Topdog
02-07-2011, 01:32 PM
I feel ashamed of myself for forgetting how good and how important this man is to the Bulldogs. He looked back to his best last night and seeing him speed away from players was great.

Also liked the way he just bulldozed fellow Dogs players who threatened to get the ball in our backline.

Haven't seen him demand the ball so much in such a long time.

strebla
02-07-2011, 01:36 PM
It just shows how important a pre-season is lets hope it gives Brian he confidence to come back to what we know he can di!!!

Doggy
02-07-2011, 01:37 PM
Rodney Eade in the Herald Sun

"I don't think he is ever going to be 100 per cent or pain-free with his knee, so it's an ongoing management issue and some weeks he is going to pull up better than others,"

What exactly is the problem with his knee?

LostDoggy
02-07-2011, 01:46 PM
I feel ashamed of myself for forgetting how good and how important this man is to the Bulldogs. He looked back to his best last night and seeing him speed away from players was great.

Also liked the way he just bulldozed fellow Dogs players who threatened to get the ball in our backline.

Haven't seen him demand the ball so much in such a long time.

I thought he was one of the BOGs last week too.

Topdog
02-07-2011, 01:54 PM
I thought he was one of the BOGs last week too.

I can't take any game against GC seriously as it is basically a glorified training session

Mofra
02-07-2011, 02:16 PM
Was a clearance machine in H1 last night - unstoppable in full flight.

Greystache
02-07-2011, 02:20 PM
He's the best player at the club IMO, at full fitness he's still a better player than Griffen. If only we can keep him fit.

LostDoggy
02-07-2011, 02:39 PM
Rodney Eade in the Herald Sun

"I don't think he is ever going to be 100 per cent or pain-free with his knee, so it's an ongoing management issue and some weeks he is going to pull up better than others,"

What exactly is the problem with his knee?

He is still suffering from the kneecap he broke at the end of 2008, I was of the opinion he should put 2011 on ice and have an operation to clean up the knee and get a solid pre-season but he has proven me wrong , coming back as the Sub first gave him an idea how his patella would feel after some game time at AFL level
His game against Melbourne shows how much difference he makes to the spread of workload in the midfield , Cross has a target , Ward can move to a screening role on the defensive side , Boyd moves to 3rd link , Griffen has the space to get free
Young Adam seems to have spent his rehabilitation time working on his core strength especially through his hips , now that he has confidence in how his patella can take game time he can hit a contest at full pace and has the strength to break through , it really is great to see him back doing what he does best

Desipura
02-07-2011, 02:47 PM
He's the best player at the club IMO, at full fitness he's still a better player than Griffen. If only we can keep him fit.

Eade said he knee is always going to cause him problems, with some weeks it could be pain free and others where he plays with a fair amount of pain. It's something they will have to work around for the rest of his career.

Topdog
02-07-2011, 03:10 PM
Assuming Eade is right we can only hope and pray that we get a year of pain free footy in 2014 (I believe our next good chance at a prem)

SonofScray
02-07-2011, 05:44 PM
Assuming Eade is right we can only hope and pray that we get a year of pain free footy in 2014 (I believe our next good chance at a prem)

I read that as "(I believe our next good chance at a prelim)", geez. We need a flag.

Rocco Jones
02-07-2011, 05:48 PM
I read that as "(I believe our next good chance at a prelim)", geez. We need a flag.

Me too. It took you to point it out to make me realise. Wow, talk about deep seeded. :(

strebla
02-07-2011, 05:57 PM

Whilst I agree he is a better player than Griff he hasnt been for the last year and a half Griff has been the man and seems to be getting better.I may be a bit biased as i love the way Griff plays but for my money over the journey Griff will play stand out with the way he plays in the big games!!!!:D

Greystache
02-07-2011, 06:24 PM
Whilst I agree he is a better player than Griff he hasnt been for the last year and a half Griff has been the man and seems to be getting better.I may be a bit biased as i love the way Griff plays but for my money over the journey Griff will play stand out with the way he plays in the big games!!!!:D

Just for perspective, the Bulldog in my avatar is named Griff! I think Cooney's best is still better, but Griffen will probably be the better of the two for the remainder of their careers. Fortunately we don't have to choose!

immortalmike
02-07-2011, 06:34 PM
Just for perspective, the Bulldog in my avatar is named Griff! I think Cooney's best is still better, but Griffen will probably be the better of the two for the remainder of their careers. Fortunately we don't have to choose!

I was just about to say does it really matter, they are both awesome when on form and neither are going to leave us...so who cares.:D

LostDoggy
02-07-2011, 07:08 PM
Yep, great to see Cooney coming back to his best, and although it wasn't an excuse, not having him on the park has been a big negative for us - what about that goal last night!:D

LostDoggy
02-07-2011, 07:17 PM
Cooney looked great last night. Sensational to see him back.

stefoid
02-07-2011, 08:38 PM
I imagine its degenerative cartlidge. It frays, it gets trimmed, it frays, it get trimmed...

Perhaps should be managed so that he isnt expected to play each year until round 8.

NoName
02-07-2011, 08:54 PM
Played very well last night, good to see him back.

bornadog
03-07-2011, 12:59 AM
He is still suffering from the kneecap he broke at the end of 2008, I was of the opinion he should put 2011 on ice and have an operation to clean up the knee

Sadly there is no operation that will get his knee back to full fitness. Its either play with pain killers and manage it or retire.

LostDoggy
03-07-2011, 02:13 AM
Sadly there is no operation that will get his knee back to full fitness. Its either play with pain killers and manage it or retire.

There is one operation he can have, 4 months recovery and no more pain

http://www.hipandknee.co.uk/Web%20Leaflets%202006/pf%20leaflet%20FEB06.htm

Greystache
03-07-2011, 03:18 AM
There is one operation he can have, 4 months recovery and no more pain

http://www.hipandknee.co.uk/Web%20Leaflets%202006/pf%20leaflet%20FEB06.htm

I take it this is a joke post? :confused:

You're not seriously suggesting a professional footballer would have a patello-femoral joint replacement during their career? These types of implants are designed for elderly people so crippled with arthritis that walking is a challenge, and that after having the operation the most strenuous exercise they'll be doing is a bit of recreational golf.

LostDoggy
03-07-2011, 04:04 AM
I take it this is a joke post? :confused:

You're not seriously suggesting a professional footballer would have a patello-femoral joint replacement during their career? These types of implants are designed for elderly people so crippled with arthritis that walking is a challenge, and that after having the operation the most strenuous exercise they'll be doing is a bit of recreational golf.

Not a joke at all , very common operation in the NFL even with players as young as 25 , if you read the procedure you keep the original front of your patella and the back is replaced with a plastic button and the bone behind gets shaved and a metal plate is inserted to give smooth movement for the plastic button, now just to clarify my blunt post in regards to "no pain" post recovery , I should have said there is a significant reduction in pain , the most important factor is that you stop any further bone degeneration and its just 4 months recovery

Read the procedure carefully and it will be very clear it could be very important to Cooney long term not just for his playing career

stefoid
03-07-2011, 08:25 AM
If there was a way of fixing the damage, at 25yo you would think they would try it? Or maybe a $$$ problem?

Topdog
03-07-2011, 08:29 AM
Not a joke at all , very common operation in the NFL even with players as young as 25.

I tried to look this up but couldn't find anyone who had it except for 1 guy named Kenny Phillips. Is it really common practice?

The Coon Dog
03-07-2011, 08:31 AM
Good article here (http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?p=224684#post224684) on Coooooon.

Desipura
03-07-2011, 08:38 AM
Good article here (http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?p=224684#post224684) on Coooooon.

Cooney in top form and fitness adds class and pace to a midfield that needs it. He makes others stand taller.
Good that it mentions Gis's struggle for form early this season followed by his current career best form.

Greystache
03-07-2011, 11:49 AM
Not a joke at all , very common operation in the NFL even with players as young as 25 , if you read the procedure you keep the original front of your patella and the back is replaced with a plastic button and the bone behind gets shaved and a metal plate is inserted to give smooth movement for the plastic button, now just to clarify my blunt post in regards to "no pain" post recovery , I should have said there is a significant reduction in pain , the most important factor is that you stop any further bone degeneration and its just 4 months recovery

Read the procedure carefully and it will be very clear it could be very important to Cooney long term not just for his playing career

I used to sell these to orthopaedic surgeons, the idea of an AFL player having one put in and then playing football again is obsurd. A player wouldn't get through more than a couple of training sessions of their first preseason before the stress on the implants caused problems. The polyethalene used simply can't handle anything other than very low impact exercise.

The club wouldn't even consider something like this, and if they did Cooney's career would be over the day he has it done.

Rocco Jones
03-07-2011, 11:53 AM
I hate to tow the 'the club knows best' line that a few here adhere to but it surely must be applied here. If this surgery would solve his problem surely the club would be aware of and use it.

Stefcep
03-07-2011, 12:58 PM
Cooney's speed is what sets him apart from most midfielders in the league. In full flight there's no-one like him. FWIW Cooney best>>Griffin's best.

LostDoggy
10-07-2011, 09:55 PM
It's great to have him back :D

Mantis
11-07-2011, 11:16 AM
It's great to have him back :D

I think a few of us forgot how good he is and how important he is to the way we play.

Reports I hear are that his knee still isn't great, but he is just gritting the teeth and getting on with it.

The boy can play.

LostDoggy
11-07-2011, 11:56 AM
I think a few of us forgot how good he is and how important he is to the way we play.

Reports I hear are that his knee still isn't great, but he is just gritting the teeth and getting on with it.

The boy can play.

This makes it even better IMO - I just hope that he isn't doing more damage? However, I would respect that the club medico's would be making that call..... Just great to have him back in full flight! ;)

LostDoggy
11-07-2011, 11:58 AM
This makes it even better IMO - I just hope that he isn't doing more damage? However, I would respect that the club medico's would be making that call..... Just great to have him back in full flight! ;)

I guess it just means he won't be playing 300 games for us.

stefoid
11-07-2011, 04:01 PM
I made a post about his knee on BF. A little internet research and guesswork, but I think the trouble may be the cartilage between his patella and his knee joint which is not weight bearing.

My guess is thats better than if it was the weight bearing cartilage.