PDA

View Full Version : Liam Picken

Rocco Jones
03-07-2011, 01:04 PM
A couple of weeks back I remember a few posters mentioning Picko as a potential out. I think his season has been very much underrated especially when you consider how the new sub rule/evolution of the game has made 'tagging' a more difficult art form.

After a poor first 3 games, I think he has changed from a stopper who only went to half forwards/outside types to simply the oppositon's most dangerous midfielder/runner.

Sure, his disposal isn't great but his ability to nullify is fantastic. I think his speed, especially his explosive closing speed, is an enormous strength. Obvously his work ethic is huge. Here are his performances from Round 5 onwards...

Hill: Kept the dangerous Hill quiet.
Thomas: Beat him before Daisy got a heap of it after the game was decided. Still Daisy was relatively quiet overall and 10 tackles for Liam.
McGlynn: Clear win for Liam.
Martin: Kept Martin relatively quiet before he got a truckload of it in junk time.
Vs Eagles: Playing in backline, one of very few to be able to hold his head up high.
Cyril: Rioli was good but Picko curbed him to 18 touches and 1 goal. I thought Cyril was on that day but Picken didn’t give him space.
Selwood: Picken kept him very quiet before Selwood got a fair bit of it in 2nd half junk time. Still a great job overall IMO.
Dal Santo: Forget about tagging, Liam just flat out beat him.
Vince: Kept him to 17 disposals
Ablett: Gary still had a very good game but it would have been much more if not for Liam’s job. Picko had 14 tackles and ‘kept’ Gary to 24, applying pressure to just about every one of them.
Scully: Another head to head type win.

Dog54
03-07-2011, 01:16 PM
I think he is the best stopper in the competition. Has a great engine is quick enough to compete and is an animal. Anyone asking for him to be dropped have no idea. I think at times it would be nice to see him as a defensive forward. The ablett 24 possession game was huge ! I think 6 of those were free kicks as Picken was so close to him!I think dalhaus in a fewvseasons could also play a stopping role and free up Liam.

DragzLS1
03-07-2011, 01:37 PM
Picken is a gun surprised he doesn't get done for sexual harassment thats how close he is to his opponent.

LostDoggy
03-07-2011, 05:09 PM
Picken is a gun surprised he doesn't get done for sexual harassment thats how close he is to his opponent.

Gold, made me laughed.:D

LostDoggy
03-07-2011, 05:27 PM
A couple of weeks back I remember a few posters mentioning Picko as a potential out. I think his season has been very much underrated especially when you consider how the new sub rule/evolution of the game has made 'tagging' a more difficult art form.

After a poor first 3 games, I think he has changed from a stopper who only went to half forwards/outside types to simply the oppositon's most dangerous midfielder/runner.

Sure, his disposal isn't great but his ability to nullify is fantastic. I think his speed, especially his explosive closing speed, is an enormous strength. Obvously his work ethic is huge. Here are his performances from Round 5 onwards...

Hill: Kept the dangerous Hill quiet.
Thomas: Beat him before Daisy got a heap of it after the game was decided. Still Daisy was relatively quiet overall and 10 tackles for Liam.
McGlynn: Clear win for Liam.
Martin: Kept Martin relatively quiet before he got a truckload of it in junk time.
Vs Eagles: Playing in backline, one of very few to be able to hold his head up high.
Cyril: Rioli was good but Picko curbed him to 18 touches and 1 goal. I thought Cyril was on that day but Picken didn’t give him space.
Selwood: Picken kept him very quiet before Selwood got a fair bit of it in 2nd half junk time. Still a great job overall IMO.
Dal Santo: Forget about tagging, Liam just flat out beat him.
Vince: Kept him to 17 disposals
Ablett: Gary still had a very good game but it would have been much more if not for Liam’s job. Picko had 14 tackles and ‘kept’ Gary to 24, applying pressure to just about every one of them.
Scully: Another head to head type win.

I was one of them :o

Mofra
03-07-2011, 10:40 PM
I pegged not so much an out, but a new role for Liam as he seemed to line up as a BP for a couple of games. I still think he was poor against Adelaide, but backed it up with a cracker against GC (check Ablett's last 6 weeks for how he's been travelling and the job Picken did).

He's a tagger, not a BP. Still think he can play a defensive forward role if need be; he will be needed this week to curb either a Judd, Murphy or Scotland - may find himself fon Yarren.

stefoid
04-07-2011, 04:26 PM
Did a great job on Ablett - its not just number of touches but disposal efficiency and ablett's was way down.

Just wish he could add some offensive play - he is hardly ever first to the ball or helps out in clearances, etc... Think he needs to roll the dice and help us out with spread when we win it.

LostDoggy
04-07-2011, 04:47 PM
The guy is a gun, done his job every week and then some.

OLD SCRAGGer
04-07-2011, 04:59 PM
The guy is a gun, done his job every week and then some.

ABSOLUTELY!!!! The kid ROCKS:)

Jasper
04-07-2011, 05:26 PM
He's a tagger, not a BP. Still think he can play a defensive forward role if need be; he will be needed this week to curb either a Judd, Murphy or Scotland - may find himself fon Yarren.

He is a certainty to get Murphy.
I have vivid recollections of Libba terrorizing a young Ben Cousins in the mid to late 90's. that needs to be his role model sans the eye gouging obviously!!

Remi Moses
04-07-2011, 05:33 PM
Forgot to put him in the Slaps on Friday night! Bet the B+F and coaches awards don't leave Picken out.Absolute maniac I think Murphy will be introduced to Mr Picken next Sunday!!

LostDoggy
04-07-2011, 09:32 PM
He's a pocket-sized freight train. Absolute maniac at the ball, as nuts as Crossy or Ward when it comes to putting it on the line.

My favourite Picken moment was him throwing himself head first at the kicking foot of Jonathan Brown in full flight. Not something done by the light of heart.

I think Picken is a tagger because he's asked to be. I don't think that it's necessarily the best role for him, but while he's nailing it who's to argue right? I'd love to see Picken freed up to play in the forward line.

Desipura
05-07-2011, 07:14 AM
Made the top 22 this week, well deserved.

Cyberdoggie
05-07-2011, 11:20 AM
I'd still like to see him back himself more when he gets the ball, he's actually better than he currently gives himself credit for.

When he first came into the side he was almost kicking a goal a game from outside 50, from literally 1 opportunity.

He missed a couple on the weekend and looked a bit timid when in that position.

I think building a career now on tagging and being defensive he's lost some confidence in his own ability when he has the ball.

Apart from that his tagging has been exceptional lately.

azabob
05-07-2011, 10:59 PM
Made the top 22 this week, well deserved.

Top 22?

Greystache
05-07-2011, 11:04 PM
Herald-Sun team of the week I think he's referring to.