PDA

View Full Version : Rocket Interview on SEN

The Coon Dog
04-07-2011, 11:43 AM
For those that missed Crunch Time on SEN on Saturday morning, here is an extensive interview with Rocket:

Part 1 (http://www.sen.com.au/audioplayer/Audio/Rodney-Eade---Western-Bulldogs-Coach-Part-One/2587)
Part 2 (http://www.sen.com.au/audioplayer/Audio/Rodney-Eade---Western-Bulldogs-Coach-Part-Two/2586)
Part 3 (http://www.sen.com.au/audioplayer/Audio/Rodney-Eade---Western-Buldlogs-Coach-Part-Three/2585)

jeemak
05-07-2011, 12:00 AM
Thanks for posting TCD. I don't listen to SEN now that Carlton, Hawthorn, Collingwood and Essendon have all been playing well this year, not to mention the Tigers seemingly improving!

I thought it was a good interview. Eade answered all the questions with depth, and I was particularly interested in his comments on Gilbee and the reasons why he has been included in the defensive six after missing a couple post his six goal game.

Interesting to learn that execution of a new game plan has been a concern since the start of the year, rather than relying on an older one, and what we're seeing now in terms of defensive pressure and ball usage is purportedly the result of getting the team balance right in terms of creative players in the defensive six and knowing when to chose the right option, as well as an injection of pace in to the midfield.

It's also a positive to learn the older players are once again being challenged by the game plan and are having to adapt. It's easy to say a coach should always be in education mode, and potentially Eade has had expectations on execution of a plan over the last year or so that some players haven't been able to fulfill. The only way we're going to improve and the only way Eade is going to remain relevant is if he continues to challenge all levels of experience within the group.

Remi Moses
05-07-2011, 05:05 AM
Hopefully we're a bit like the Eagles. Heard Worsfold say it's taken 3 years to implement their impressive forward press. To me it looks like the club's been rejuvenated the last couple of weeks, I was worried he'd lost the group but their playing for him now.

Mantis
05-07-2011, 08:54 AM
Thanks TCD for posting the link.

I thought it was an excellent interview and covered a whole range of topics. Thought Rocket was very honest with his comments especially with regard to what he learnt from his time at Sydney when he was in the process of leaving that club. Much talk on BF has been about how Rocket lost the players with a defensive attitude and it was happening again, but he mentioned in this interview that he has remained positive through the 'slump' and he thinks it's paying off.... This positive & educational mindset has been mentioned by many of players which is good to hear.

ledge
05-07-2011, 12:50 PM
He definitley hasnt lost the players, they all seem behind him and I think that means the board will keep him on.
His abillity to change things mid year and see plans arent working due to injury etc are excellent, coaches willing to accept errors and change are gold.
Be very surprised if he goes.

Raw Toast
05-07-2011, 04:15 PM
Thanks TCD. I was wondering myself earlier in the year if he was losing the players, but as Mantis says (and even Robbo concurred in the HUN!), there's been no indication of that, and I think he's been coaching the team very well of late (even against the Saints I thought he clearly won the coaching duel, just a pity about that and a few other results like the Freo game).

I for one would really like the club to back him in. Even if it becomes clear in the next few weeks that we won't be making the finals, I think if we can secure Eade to continue as coach this will mean that the planning for next season can start in earnest and that the unwanted free time he might have in September can actually give us a kickstart for 2012. His record with us has been very good and I still think he's the best fit for us at the moment.

AndrewP6
05-07-2011, 04:23 PM
Thanks TCD, that was an interesting interview. I had been thinking he was going to get the boot, but now I believe he could get another go.

always right
05-07-2011, 06:21 PM
If he is going to get another contract, the club is going to have to closely look at his support staff. From the outside I have no idea as to whether Dean, Monty and Williams are any good as assistant coaches.

Remi Moses
05-07-2011, 06:32 PM
Good thing would be to grab hold of someone like Scott Burns, or anyone who has been at a club where the Press has been successful.

Jasper
05-07-2011, 09:05 PM
Its interesting to see the change in attitude after three wins against what could only be called ordinary opposition, none of whom press that well. I will be interested in how we go in the coming weeks against Carlton and WCE. Its easier for Rocket to come across as more relaxed after three wins, my view is that even during those wins he continues to get extremely wound up and can't really help himself with 'tanties'. When under pressure and from what you can see, his emotional intelligence is ordinary (ie he lacks self control and reverts to the bake when things aren't going well). I don't believe the modern player responds well to this behaviour.

I hope the good form continues. Personally I think Gia's form, Dahlhaus' pace and willingess to apply fwd pressure and Cooney coming back (along with the ordinary opposition) are the main reasons for our form reversal. I guess we will see.

immortalmike
05-07-2011, 09:58 PM
Its interesting to see the change in attitude after three wins against what could only be called ordinary opposition, none of whom press that well. I will be interested in how we go in the coming weeks against Carlton and WCE. Its easier for Rocket to come across as more relaxed after three wins, my view is that even during those wins he continues to get extremely wound up and can't really help himself with 'tanties'. When under pressure and from what you can see, his emotional intelligence is ordinary (ie he lacks self control and reverts to the bake when things aren't going well). I don't believe the modern player responds well to this behaviour.

I hope the good form continues. Personally I think Gia's form, Dahlhaus' pace and willingess to apply fwd pressure and Cooney coming back (along with the ordinary opposition) are the main reasons for our form reversal. I guess we will see.

Bullshit! Go watch his press conference after the St Kilda loss. He was nothing but positive. Also in the huddles at the breaks I have not seen him give a spray since earlier in the year. Cooney said as much on Before the Game on Saturday.

jeemak
05-07-2011, 11:06 PM

You understand that if you move the ball decisively from the outset when transitioning the ball from defence that teams are limited in their ability to apply the press don't you? Part of the reason why the early rounds had us completely stuffed against it was because we had Gilbee out of form, and we were missing Lake, Hargrave, Harbrow and Wood. We've changed personnel, we've also had some players hit form since then and the backline is working more confidently now.

I'm getting a little tired of Eade copping flack for his body language when nobody really has any idea about the verbal content of his message. You can be as calm as you like, but if you're talking nonsence what's the point? Delivery is one thing, content is another. The evidence is Eade is getting the mix right at the moment. Perhaps we should cut him some slack.

Jasper
06-07-2011, 12:07 AM
Bullshit! Go watch his press conference after the St Kilda loss. He was nothing but positive. Also in the huddles at the breaks I have not seen him give a spray since earlier in the year. Cooney said as much on Before the Game on Saturday.

I'm getting a little tired of Eade copping flack for his body language when nobody really has any idea about the verbal content of his message. You can be as calm as you like, but if you're talking nonsence what's the point? Delivery is one thing, content is another. The evidence is Eade is getting the mix right at the moment. Perhaps we should cut him some slack.

I understand I am probably in the minority. But just look at his reaction in the box against Melbourne. Not after a game when he has collected himself. Eade has probably accepted our mediocrity this year, and perhaps has disengaged himself a little emotionally but his over-reaction and over the top anger is still there. If he believes we are competing for the eight, he will revert to type (in my view).

I am of the firm belief that Eade has probably run his race - beating up on shit sides doesn't alter this view. Unless we make the eight, and win a final or two on the back of significant improvement in our younger players, he should go.

Also Eade's handling of Lake over the years has been less than impressive. And not many of our indigenous players have kicked on either. Perhaps Eade struggles with different personalities.

soupman
06-07-2011, 01:08 AM
Disagree with your last paragraph kelvinator.

Prior to this season Lake was the best defender in the league, someone who consistently performed well and rose when Eade told him to. Lake is one of Eades success stories, not something he should be criticized for.

As for indigenous players maybe it's been because we haven't had a heap of really talented ones comes through. Not a single one of the indigenous talents no longer on our list have shown themselves to be AFL quality, with the obvious exception of Harbrow. I understand you may be referring to players like Josh Hill, Brennan Stack, Malcolm Lynch and although not indigenous, Andrejs Everitt in that they all seem to have laid back personalities where they aren't driven to succeed, but I think Eade has been good at giving these players opportunities and we are yet to be shown a better way to handle them. And every club has stories of players, indigenous or not, who they failed to get the most out of or turn into AFL players.

jeemak
06-07-2011, 01:25 AM
Disagree with your last paragraph kelvinator.

Prior to this season Lake was the best defender in the league, someone who consistently performed well and rose when Eade told him to. Lake is one of Eades success stories, not something he should be criticized for.

As for indigenous players maybe it's been because we haven't had a heap of really talented ones comes through. Not a single one of the indigenous talents no longer on our list have shown themselves to be AFL quality, with the obvious exception of Harbrow. I understand you may be referring to players like Josh Hill, Brennan Stack, Malcolm Lynch and although not indigenous, Andrejs Everitt in that they all seem to have laid back personalities where they aren't driven to succeed, but I think Eade has been good at giving these players opportunities and we are yet to be shown a better way to handle them. And every club has stories of players, indigenous or not, who they failed to get the most out of or turn into AFL players.

Good post. Eade has helped Brian Lake more than anyone else.

As for the indigenous players running around, a lot of teams have issues with their management, and it's not often you hear stories about the ones that don't make the grade and get delisted.

We produced one of the highest paid indigenous players in the league over the last two years, let alone one of the most talented. We've played Hill and Stack to varying success, and we're blooding the only true KPP indigenous yougster with the aim of creating a forward line around him. We've also put DJ into the mix. That's a lot of senior games invested in indigenous players over the last few years, only one of those guys seems talented and motivated enough to make the most of it.

immortalmike
06-07-2011, 04:41 AM
I understand I am probably in the minority. But just look at his reaction in the box against Melbourne. Not after a game when he has collected himself. Eade has probably accepted our mediocrity this year, and perhaps has disengaged himself a little emotionally but his over-reaction and over the top anger is still there. If he believes we are competing for the eight, he will revert to type (in my view).

I am of the firm belief that Eade has probably run his race - beating up on shit sides doesn't alter this view. Unless we make the eight, and win a final or two on the back of significant improvement in our younger players, he should go.

Also Eade's handling of Lake over the years has been less than impressive. And not many of our indigenous players have kicked on either. Perhaps Eade struggles with different personalities.

Can you name a coach who doesn't go off in the box. Dean Bailey just about punched through the glass on Friday night.

I see very little evidence for your thoughts but I guess you're entitled to be suspicious. Two things though;

Was Brian Lake not the best defender in the league last year (with Eade pretty much being his only senior coach)?

What does a player's race have to do with how the coach treats them? Are you implying that because a player is indigenous they should be treated differently to other players? If so, Why?

chef
06-07-2011, 08:40 AM
Anyone else notice that he covers his mouth now when he speaks/curses in the box when something goes wrong on the field.

Mantis
06-07-2011, 09:04 AM

Yeah Lake has been pathetic under Eade. :rolleyes:

Under Eade Lake went from being a pretty horrible FF, to an unreliable FB to the stand-out tall defender in the game..... Shocking effort.

The one thing I have learnt watching Eade in regard to the type of player he will back in is that at the very least he wants an honest effort at all times. He doesn't (didn't) get that from the likes of Hill, Everitt & Stack which is why they haven't prospered.

The Pie Man
06-07-2011, 09:52 AM
Was interesting hearing Eade mention Jones sort of fell into the second ruck role on Friday and that as many had anticipated, Barlow was earmarked for that role initially. Winning his first 4 taps must have been encouraging, and as we've seen with Roughead before he went down, it boosted confidence and had Liam more engaged in the contest.

Good interview, thank-you CD for posting.

Was also good to hear he recognises (as I believe all good leaders would) that in any times, including tough, a group will look to their leader, and through this year he's stayed positive.

LostDoggy
06-07-2011, 12:31 PM
My cuz sat in the back of the coaches box with him a few weeks ago and was scared shitless.

That said, anger has it's place. Eade's problem has been in using it effectively. There is still a place in the game for a spray, but with Gen Y you need to adjust the method somewhat.

Jasper
08-07-2011, 09:40 PM
Yeah Lake has been pathetic under Eade. :rolleyes:

Under Eade Lake went from being a pretty horrible FF, to an unreliable FB to the stand-out tall defender in the game..... Shocking effort.

We'll never know whether Lake succeeded despite Eade. However, the point is moot, if Eade can claim credit for Lake's success, he is also responsible for Lake's failure. Perhaps Eade's cutting man management style has a shelf life that has reached its expiry with some players such as Lake.

And for those questioning my comments on Eade's record with indigenous players, I am not suggesting Eade is racist. I am however suggesting that cultural differences exist with many cultures and one of those is indigenous people of Australia, examples are they have a different concept of time and in a reluctance to use eye contact. I just am not sure that Eade is able to embrace differences within his playing group and may not be able to get the best out of all players, particularly when he is placed under pressure on game day or when Eade considers a lot is at stake in terms of his team's ultimate success. Noting Eade's self confessed inability to get the best out of the Swans and get ultimate success (while Roos could)

1eyedog
09-07-2011, 01:23 AM

Hmmm this sounds like a conspiracy theory to me. Eade has always been like that in the coaches box, he is a passionate personality type and cares about the club. I don't think Eade has accepted mediocrity this season, I think he has remained patient as he tweaks the game plan. New players have come in and old ones have had to adapt to new roles.

As for our Aboriginal players I think Harbrow came on nicely under Eade as did Hill and I don't t believe that Harbrow left because of Eade. Stack may as yet prove some posters wrong. Both Goodes and Mickey O flourished under Eade at the Swans. I think you need to look at the percentage of players, both Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal who fail to make it at AFL level before you level your sights at Eade and make such uninformed innuendos. I don't think you have the data at hand and neither do I but it would be necessary data to have in order to enter into such a controversial discussion. I do believe that clubs should be employing HR/Player Welfare Managers to provide support to all players whatever their nationalities. I also think that a part-time role for an Aboriginal support officer would also be a positive step to to facilitate open dialogue between Aboriginal players and the coaching staff (where required).

In terms of dealing with difficult personality types I think he managed Aker as far as he could extremely well, likewise Barry Hall who was a bit of a loose cannon under Roos but seems to respect Rocket and does not fall out of line.

For the record I think we'll make the 8 and win a final. I also think Daulhaus, Libba Jnr and Schofield look good and will improve and I think the way he has played Barlow is also a positive as is Higgins going into the back half.

*Note: I have used the term Aboriginal rather than Indigenous. I work with the Wurundjeri, Yorta Yorta and the Bunurong (the Kulin people) daily and have been told that that is the term they would prefer me to use.

1eyedog
09-07-2011, 01:52 AM
Can you name a coach who doesn't go off in the box. Dean Bailey just about punched through the glass on Friday night.

I see very little evidence for your thoughts but I guess you're entitled to be suspicious. Two things though;

Was Brian Lake not the best defender in the league last year (with Eade pretty much being his only senior coach)?

What does a player's race have to do with how the coach treats them? Are you implying that because a player is indigenous they should be treated differently to other players? If so, Why?

No not treated differently but probably managed differently with some extra support to help the adaptation to a culturally different environment. Melbourne and even Adelaide and Perth are completely alien social landscapes for most Aboriginal people who are drafted from remote W.A, S.A and N.T. The pull to go back to country is always there.

Remi Moses
09-07-2011, 01:57 AM
We'll never know whether Lake succeeded despite Eade. However, the point is moot, if Eade can claim credit for Lake's success, he is also responsible for Lake's failure. Perhaps Eade's cutting man management style has a shelf life that has reached its expiry with some players such as Lake.

And for those questioning my comments on Eade's record with indigenous players, I am not suggesting Eade is racist. I am however suggesting that cultural differences exist with many cultures and one of those is indigenous people of Australia, examples are they have a different concept of time and in a reluctance to use eye contact. I just am not sure that Eade is able to embrace differences within his playing group and may not be able to get the best out of all players, particularly when he is placed under pressure on game day or when Eade considers a lot is at stake in terms of his team's ultimate success. Noting Eade's self confessed inability to get the best out of the Swans and get ultimate success (while Roos could)

You're not that serial idiot Mark from Bacchus Marsh?
For those not aware he's constant on SEN with his conspiracy theory tripe!

immortalmike
09-07-2011, 02:13 AM
No not treated differently but probably managed differently with some extra support to help the adaptation to a culturally different environment. Melbourne and even Adelaide and Perth are completely alien social landscapes for most Aboriginal people who are drafted from remote W.A, S.A and N.T. The pull to go back to country is always there.

How is that relevant to the coach rather than the club's support staff?

1eyedog
09-07-2011, 10:48 AM
How is that relevant to the coach rather than the club's support staff?

What support staff? Many clubs simply don't have them, including us. The coach manages the practical issues, including player welfare, on a daily basis.

Topdog
09-07-2011, 10:52 AM
I was certain we had a welfare development something or other.

Sockeye Salmon
09-07-2011, 11:21 AM
Brett Goodes is our player welfare dude (might not be his official title)

1eyedog
09-07-2011, 11:32 AM
My mistake. I misread this week's article in the Age where Aboriginal players were calling for an Aboriginal welfare manager as well. Our club, as well as most others, don't have one of these.

bornadog
09-07-2011, 11:39 AM

You seem to know Eade personally or is this all your perception from watching him on TV?

Topdog
09-07-2011, 12:21 PM
My mistake. I misread this week's article in the Age where Aboriginal players were calling for an Aboriginal welfare manager as well. Our club, as well as most others, don't have one of these.

If Im not mistaken we had one of these a few years ago. Mifsud but he left, or was he also a player welfare dude?

ledge
09-07-2011, 01:23 PM
Its Goodes, I believe he was the one who was up playing with Skinner at the time and was recruited to Willy to play and be welfare officer for the likes of Zeph and others.

ledge
09-07-2011, 01:24 PM
For what its worth I spoke to Zeph earlier in year and he said he was loving it here.

immortalmike
09-07-2011, 02:36 PM
What support staff? Many clubs simply don't have them, including us. The coach manages the practical issues, including player welfare, on a daily basis.

That's not quite true. It's not the job of the head coach to micro-manage each player, that job is best left to the assisstants, football operations manager and now (especially in the case of young Indigenous players) Goodes. Not sure it's Rocket's job, as I'm fairly sure that's why Fantasia was hired i.e., so that Rodney could concentrate on football and football only.

AndrewP6
09-07-2011, 04:55 PM
Brett Goodes is our player welfare dude (might not be his official title)

But it definitely should be :D