PDA

View Full Version : What's Your Footy Bugbear?

Scraggers
05-07-2011, 12:22 AM
I'm interested to know what really gets under your skin with our great game ...

One of mine is the term 'possessions' ... Possessions are how many kicks and handballs you have in a game. It is the stat that we look at first.

But it is so grammatically wrong.
You can take possession of the ball, have eight bounces as you run up the wing, get de-possessed in a tackle/bump etc and you don't get a 'possession' stat even though you 'possessed' the ball ??

It has to be called a disposal ... Sometimes you get a commentator who will use the term disposal, but it is embedded in our footy vernacular that we call it a possession.

This is my footy Bugbear ... What is yours ??

divvydan
05-07-2011, 01:56 AM

One of mine is the term 'possessions' ... Possessions are how many kicks and handballs you have in a game. It is the stat that we look at first.

You can take possession of the ball, have eight bounces as you run up the wing, get de-possessed in a tackle/bump etc and you don't get a 'possession' stat even though you 'possessed' the ball ??

It has to be called a disposal ... Sometimes you get a commentator who will use the term disposal, but it is embedded in our footy vernacular that we call it a possession.

It's certainly something that's used incorrectly by commentators but most of the proper stats sites (Champion Data, Prostats, etc) have possessions and disposals listed correctly. Problem is that I suspect most of the commentators either don't really understand the difference between possession and disposal or perhaps choose to only say possession because they want to keep it consistent for the average viewer.

The Coon Dog
05-07-2011, 08:02 AM
I hate the view from behind the goals when someone's having a shot for goal when I'm watching TV, particularly when the camera cuts away from the shot which is directly behind the kicker. It might be just me, but I lose perspective, particularly if its anywhere near the goal post.

Jasper
05-07-2011, 09:36 AM
Mine is the morons in the media who complain about the inconsistency in the "holding the ball" rule, however have clearly never actually read the rule.

If only the could grasp the difference between a "prior opportunity" and being given a "reasonable opportunity" to dispose of the ball, they would save all of our ear drums some pain

bornadog
05-07-2011, 09:40 AM
Deliberate out of bounds.

There are so many grey areas with this rule and the way umpires interpret it really gets up my nerves.

Examples:

* Ball kicked high in the air, pack goes up and defender punches the ball out of bounce - deliberate yes, paid no.

* Ball kicked low along the ground, defender slides along the ground, punches it out of bounds - Deliberate paid. Why can he punch it out when the ball is in the air, yet in the second situation its deliberate?

* Player kicks the ball 40, 50 metres up the ground, ball bounces and goes out of bounds - Free kick paid.

* Player handballs along the boundary to try and run on to the ball, but ball bounces wrong way - Free kick paid.

There are so many situations that can go either way, yet the umpire seems to think they know what the player was thinking.

Sockeye Salmon
05-07-2011, 10:23 AM
OMG.

Where do I start?

Inequality - Andrew Dimwitiou, your bloody job is to run a fair and equitable competition, not make as much cash as you can. I appreciate 18 teams into 22 rounds doesn't go but make it as fair as you can and stop the prefferential treatment for some clubs. Play all games between 2 Vic sides at the MCG and all games v non-Vic sides at Etihad.

Loyalty - players should be encouraged to stay at the one club (career prospects notwithstanding). We have a unique feature of our game; the fans passion borne of loyalty. We watch them get drafted, debut, develop. Their ours, not some mercenary we are paying for the next 8 months, and we treat them like they are our children. We know who had that snap from the opposite pocket not because we saw his number but because of the way he held the ball before he kicked it. When players change clubs we are diluting this personal connection and it's why we will always love Luke Dahlhaus a bit more than Justin Sherman.

...which leads us to...

Greed - give the players more by all means, but raise the minimum pay, not the maximum pay.

Rules - I don't even know what they are any more. Illogical, inconsistant, tokenism and stupid. I have noticed no-one argues in the crowd any more, these days when you cop a shocking decision most people just laugh.

bornadog
05-07-2011, 10:30 AM
OMG.

Where do I start?

Inequality - Andrew Dimwitiou, your bloody job is to run a fair and equitable competition, not make as much cash as you can. I appreciate 18 teams into 22 rounds doesn't go but make it as fair as you can and stop the prefferential treatment for some clubs. Play all games between 2 Vic sides at the MCG and all games v non-Vic sides at Etihad.

Loyalty - players should be encouraged to stay at the one club (career prospects notwithstanding). We have a unique feature of our game; the fans passion borne of loyalty. We watch them get drafted, debut, develop. Their ours, not some mercenary we are paying for the next 8 months, and we treat them like they are our children. We know who had that snap from the opposite pocket not because we saw his number but because of the way he held the ball before he kicked it. When players change clubs we are diluting this personal connection and it's why we will always love Luke Dahlhaus a bit more than Justin Sherman.

...which leads us to...

Greed - give the players more by all means, but raise the minimum pay, not the maximum pay.

Rules - I don't even know what they are any more. Illogical, inconsistant, tokenism and stupid. I have noticed no-one argues in the crowd any more, these days when you cop a shocking decision most people just laugh.

Great post SS. I bet if the above was put to a vote by fans most would agree with you.

westdog54
05-07-2011, 10:54 AM
For me, and I've well and truly covered my views in another thread, its the way the advantage rule has been implemented in our game. Its so easy to fix and yet its made to seem all too hard.

LostDoggy
05-07-2011, 12:29 PM
Commentators. "XXX really came to play today." As opposed to the opposition who are laying back and thinking of England? "They're just such a superior team, aren't they?" Um, is that a question or a statement? Never followed by any facts or stats to back it up.
Having to sit as close to the fence as I can because other supporters complain about the volume of my voice in their eardrums. Sick of telling them to go watch it at home.
People bagging Gia.
Collingwood and West Coast supporters. No specific aspect, just their general existence.
Supporters who rip on us all day long, then meekly sneak out when the tables turn. In fact, anybody who leaves early for no better reason than "I want to beat the traffic"

OLD SCRAGGer
05-07-2011, 04:08 PM
Commentators. "XXX really came to play today." As opposed to the opposition who are laying back and thinking of England? "They're just such a superior team, aren't they?" Um, is that a question or a statement? Never followed by any facts or stats to back it up.
Having to sit as close to the fence as I can because other supporters complain about the volume of my voice in their eardrums. Sick of telling them to go watch it at home.
People bagging Gia. Collingwood and West Coast supporters. No specific aspect, just their general existence.
Supporters who rip on us all day long, then meekly sneak out when the tables turn. In fact, anybody who leaves early for no better reason than "I want to beat the traffic"

Agree :mad:

LostDoggy
05-07-2011, 04:19 PM
I just dont like the crows.

After that the benefits to the richer clubs.

Daughter of the West
05-07-2011, 04:44 PM
When Essendon supporters claim they're going to take out the Grand Final after winning one game. I couldn't believe that the Ch7 news on Sunday night was interviewing people in Napier Street Essendon in the MAIN SECTION OF THE NEWS (not sport) about how fantastic their team was after beating Geelong.

Get a grip people!

LostDoggy
05-07-2011, 05:09 PM
When did a "mark" become a "catch"? I hate it when commentators say ...'great catch'!

When did our supporters stop yelling encouragement at the team? Only seem to do it when we are 6 goals up, not when we are 10 points down? Agree with BornAScragger on this one, many people seem to think they are watching the footy at home on the couch and don't seem to get involved! I'm pretty old school when it comes to barracking for my team :o

Hotdog60
05-07-2011, 06:07 PM
OMG.

Where do I start?

...which leads us to...

I'll have to run with SS on this, also if the players want a pay rise put it in the salary cap so if your worth it, you'll get it.

westdog54
05-07-2011, 07:49 PM

The other one I neglected to mention is referring to players as plurals of themselves. "You've got your Chris Judd's and your Gary Ablett's" etc

azabob
05-07-2011, 08:52 PM
Media outlets in general always going on about dream team and super coach and basing the better players on those stats.

Drew Morphett on ABC radio.

LostDoggy
06-07-2011, 08:40 AM
This year for me;

1. Essendon Fans - James Hird is not Jesus in disguise. And an 8 goal loss cannot be blamed on umpires.
2. Collingwood Fans - Still think their the best team by a mile even if the Ladder reflects otherwise.
3. Carlton Fans - Sitting in the top 4 doesn't mean you will make the Grand Final. Having 4? First draft picks won't hurt.
3. Aker bagging Gia - He showed you, little twat. Notice his form following your ridiculous jealous comments of 'he is not upto AFL standard'? 6 weeks of pure brilliant football. Just fade out into the darkness already please.

LostDoggy
06-07-2011, 05:46 PM
There is no more dropping the ball rule, only holding the ball.

A player can get tackled & just let go of the ball, then it's classed as being knocked out because of the tackle. Some many players do it these days & nothing gets paid, hate it.

bornadog
06-07-2011, 06:01 PM

A player can get tackled & just let go of the ball, then it's classed as being knocked out because of the tackle. Some many players do it these days & nothing gets paid, hate it.

There never has been a dropping the ball rule. It was always incorrect disposal or holding the ball. Now there is - no prior opportunity, which is always contentious and a grey area.

LostDoggy
06-07-2011, 07:35 PM
There never has been a dropping the ball rule. It was always incorrect disposal or holding the ball. Now there is - no prior opportunity, which is always contentious and a grey area.

Incorrect disposal is what i was talking about.

Throughandthrough
06-07-2011, 07:58 PM
That people think that both teams should get similar numbers of free kicks from the umpires.

LostDoggy
06-07-2011, 09:11 PM
Deliberate out of bounds.

There are so many grey areas with this rule and the way umpires interpret it really gets up my nerves.

Examples:

* Ball kicked high in the air, pack goes up and defender punches the ball out of bounce - deliberate yes, paid no.

* Ball kicked low along the ground, defender slides along the ground, punches it out of bounds - Deliberate paid. Why can he punch it out when the ball is in the air, yet in the second situation its deliberate?

* Player kicks the ball 40, 50 metres up the ground, ball bounces and goes out of bounds - Free kick paid.

* Player handballs along the boundary to try and run on to the ball, but ball bounces wrong way - Free kick paid.

There are so many situations that can go either way, yet the umpire seems to think they know what the player was thinking.

Because it's in a marking contest, you are allowed to spoil

Sockeye Salmon
06-07-2011, 09:31 PM
Because it's in a marking contest, you are allowed to spoil

The gist of the post is true - the rule is a disaster. One of many Bartlett and his idiot mates have made a mess of. Geishen hasn't helped with his interpretation either.

Sedat
06-07-2011, 09:31 PM
Don't for a second think that this hasn't been deliberately contrived by city hall, ie: respect umpire round, giving the umpires a profile far outside their natural station in the game. When someone like Shane McInernay is publicly praised for his wretched and game-changing decision in Riewoldt's favour in the 2009 PF, it merely confirms that the mug punter is being conditioned to accept all the garbage and hyperbole dished up in relation to the umpires.

1eyedog
06-07-2011, 09:39 PM
Opposition team's supporters sitting amongst Bulldog members at a home game. Rats in the ranks, sneaky quiet until there is five minutes to go and they get up shouting once they sniff a win. I'd push them over the balcony if I was sure they wouldn't land on Bulldog supporters below.

Doc26
06-07-2011, 11:45 PM
The other one I neglected to mention is referring to players as plurals of themselves. "You've got your Chris Judd's and your Gary Ablett's" etc

and the extension to this, to somehow give more weight to their argument. they throw up virtually the whole squad e.g. "Your Hodge's, Franklin's, Rioli's, Mitchell's, Sewell's etc etc"

My bugbear has become the proliferation of twilight games on a Sunday, shelving any chance we had of growing a healthy membership base from young families. If you want to look at declining numbers, in 5 years time look back and analyse what effect this form of fixturing has achieved. At least with Oakley his disdain for us was out in the open.

westdog54
07-07-2011, 07:33 PM
That people think that both teams should get similar numbers of free kicks from the umpires.

I'll second that one. Whenever a freind of mine raises it in an argument about a particular game, I simply reply 'if one team breaks the rules more often than the other, it stands to reason they'll give away more free kicks'.

Jasper
08-07-2011, 02:33 PM

You can blame your Gary Ayres's for that one

always right
12-07-2011, 02:05 PM

Imagine if they paid a free kick whenever this happens? It would drive you mad. Why would you bother going for the ball in a congested situation...far better to sweat on the bloke going for it.

My pet hate is our own supporters latching onto something they don't like early on in a game and never letting go i.e. criticising Gia, Hill, Williams etc, yelling out "kick it, kick it" every time we grab the ball, "go forward" when there is no-one in front of the player with the ball. You get the idea.

LostDoggy
12-07-2011, 02:37 PM
Press conferences annoy me. Especially if it's Ross Lyon or Mick Malthouse speaking..... ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

LostDoggy
12-07-2011, 02:37 PM
Imagine if they paid a free kick whenever this happens? It would drive you mad. Why would you bother going for the ball in a congested situation...far better to sweat on the bloke going for it.

My pet hate is our own supporters latching onto something they don't like early on in a game and never letting go i.e. criticising Gia, Hill, Williams etc, yelling out "kick it, kick it" every time we grab the ball, "go forward" when there is no-one in front of the player with the ball. You get the idea.

+1. Spot on the moolah…

I also hate when people groan and moan about players kicking it back and forth across the backline when the sting's gone out of the game late in the 4th. It may be boring to watch, but tactically it's the ideal situation to find yourself in. It's also a great way for the players to take the piss out of the opposition. “Come and get it if you want it”.

Mantis
12-07-2011, 02:39 PM
I also hate when people groan and moan about players kicking it back and forth across the backline when the sting's gone out of the game late in the 4th. It may be boring to watch, but tactically it's the ideal situation to find yourself in. It's also a great way for the players to take the piss out of the opposition. “Come and get it if you want it”.

It's good if you have the players involved in your DT.

LostDoggy
12-07-2011, 02:43 PM
Press conferences annoy me. Especially if it's Ross Lyon or Mick Malthouse speaking..... ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

Well, we know they're a proud club and we expected them to come out firing today and they really came to play. I'm just happy I was able to play my role for the team and we're all just happy to get the four points. The boys really put in today, especially [insert name of a player who played a bit average but needs the AFL equivalent of the Encouragement Award] who really delivered the 1 percenters, but overall it was a team effort. We're now looking forward to next week and playing [insert team name], where we fully expect we'll be underdogs, as we're undefeated and they're the wooden spooner and therefore they'll have a point to prove.

So, even though we're sitting on top of the ladder with a percentage of 670.8, we don't want to get too ahead of ourselves and start thinking finals, every game's important with the competition so even and we just want to play it one week at a time. We know they'll be looking forward to testing themselves against us, every game we play seems like a blockbuster.

Sockeye Salmon
12-07-2011, 02:47 PM

You just needed to say 'Ross Lyon' that would be enough. I hate everything about him.

I hate his gameplan most of all.

Also Kevin Bartlett. I hate what the rules committee have done to our game. I hate his sycophantic radio show. I hate that he couldn't even give Ryan Griffen 1 vote in the rising star award.

Also Andy Demitriou. I hate that he thinks he is the greatest CEO of all time because he makes a lot of money. You have no shareholders you moron, your job is to run a fair and equitable competition, not pretend you're running NAB

Happy Days
12-07-2011, 02:52 PM
People who boo when players are executing a switch, or handball more than 2 times in a row.

"KICK IT LONG! TURN IT OVER!"

Greystache
12-07-2011, 03:21 PM
People who boo when players are executing a switch, or handball more than 2 times in a row.

"KICK IT LONG! TURN IT OVER!"

I love when they scream kick it, kick it, KICK IT (despite there being no one in our forward half), and then when a player blindly bombs it into a sea of waiting defenders they shout "oh, who to!"

Happy Days
12-07-2011, 03:34 PM
I love when they scream kick it, kick it, KICK IT (despite there being no one in our forward half), and then when a player blindly bombs it into a sea of waiting defenders they shout "oh, who to!"

Double points for "That was your man, Hill/Stack/Gia!"

LostDoggy
12-07-2011, 03:38 PM
Or when they blast a player for not being able to run at 50km/hr to catch up to somebody.

We need to draft more cheetahs.

westdog54
12-07-2011, 07:05 PM

If the opposition are too lazy to find an opponent and stand him, that's not the backline's fault. Our last 5 minutes against Melbourne was a case in point.

ledge
12-07-2011, 07:17 PM
Bruce Macavaney and his poofy voice who orgasms whenever he decides he likes a player. and that player goes within 50 metres of the ball.

AndrewP6
12-07-2011, 07:56 PM
Bruce Macavaney and his poofy voice who orgasms whenever he decides he likes a player. and that player goes within 50 metres of the ball.

Ditto, his ridiculous over-calling the play is really grating. "Oh Judd, what a beauty, races away, towards FORWARD 50, STRAIGHTENS UP, IT'S ON IT'S WAY, IT LOOKS GOOD...HE'S KICKED............................. a behind.. :o

And his constant questions that no one answers, too... I don't buy that they're rhetorical either, I think he wants an answer, just none of the others give a crap :)

LostDoggy
12-07-2011, 08:33 PM
Ditto, his ridiculous over-calling the play is really grating. "Oh Judd, what a beauty, races away, towards FORWARD 50, STRAIGHTENS UP, IT'S ON IT'S WAY, IT LOOKS GOOD...HE'S KICKED............................. a behind.. :o

And his constant questions that no one answers, too... I don't buy that they're rhetorical either, I think he wants an answer, just none of the others give a crap :)

“Oh, Collingwood are just a step above the rest of the competition, aren't they?” *crickets & tumbleweeds…*

AndrewP6
12-07-2011, 08:47 PM
“Oh, Collingwood are just a step above the rest of the competition, aren't they?” *crickets & tumbleweeds…*

:D So it isn't just me that shouts at the television "NO ONE CARES!!!!"

ledge
12-07-2011, 08:52 PM
What amazes me is we have 3 people Geishen,Bartlett and Demetriou who have played the game, you would think they would fix the rules not make them worse!
They are the perfect example of the opposite rule of experience.

LostDoggy
12-07-2011, 09:21 PM
For me its Bruce always asking questions
Hes playing well isnt he?
They need another goal dont they?
He seems to have his measure doesnt he?
Just call the game Bruce!!!!

AndrewP6
12-07-2011, 10:31 PM
For me its Bruce always asking questions
Hes playing well isnt he?
They need another goal dont they?
He seems to have his measure doesnt he?
Just call the game Bruce!!!!
Yep....

Twodogs
14-07-2011, 08:01 PM
When did a "mark" become a "catch"? I hate it when commentators say ...'great catch'!

It is a catch though. The mark is where the umpire points when the player goes back to take his kick.

-Richmond. The continued existence of their supporters, players, ex-players and football club in general troubles me greatly. I really, truly hate tham with a passion

-North Melbourne. See Richmond but with the tiniest bit of respect added in for a bizarre effect.

-The growing trend off adding a 'y' to player's names like they are 3 YO's. IT'S LUKE BLOODY POWER!!!! Not Lukey Power. I suspect it started with him.

ledge
14-07-2011, 08:35 PM
It is a catch though. The mark is where the umpire points when the player goes back to take his kick.

-Richmond. The continued existence of their supporters, players, ex-players and football club in general troubles me greatly. I really, truly hate tham with a passion

-North Melbourne. See Richmond but with the tiniest bit of respect added in for a bizarre effect.

-The growing trend off adding a 'y' to player's names like they are 3 YO's. IT'S LUKE BLOODY POWER!!!! Not Lukey Power. I suspect it started with him.

I take it Lukey Dahlhaus isnt a favourite of yours then:p

LostDoggy
14-07-2011, 11:43 PM
I take it Lukey Dahlhaus isnt a favourite of yours then:p

Or that Barry Hall. Barr would be fairly pissed about that.

LostDoggy
15-07-2011, 12:12 AM
+1. Spot on the moolah…

I also hate when people groan and moan about players kicking it back and forth across the backline

Where are the boo's directed???? To the team chiping the ball around or the Team leaving the three guys free to do so????
I have been at games where this has happened and most of the fans were booing the opposition for not maning up and allowing this to go on. In that instance I'm all for the booing and would not consider that a bugbear.

1eyedog
15-07-2011, 12:02 PM

It's just a frustration from the fans who can see no clear game plan, or that the players are not following the game plan. I think fans would prefer to see the ball turned over 60 metres up field than a holding the ball decision for excessive hand balls in the back half.

1eyedog
15-07-2011, 12:05 PM

The thing that I hate about Bruce is that he continually states the bleeding obvious, or something that we have just clearly seen with our own eyes.

Leave that work for the radio commentators Bruce. Dennis offsets this beautifully with wit, Bruce has got no game other than stats.

Get him off.

Greystache
15-07-2011, 12:13 PM
It's just a frustratiopn from the fans who can see no clear game plan, or that the players are not following the game plan. I think fans would prefer to see the ball turned over 60 metres up field than a holding the ball decision for excessive hand balls in the back half.

Then those fans struggle to understand what they're watching. The idea that giving the ball away 60m up the field is some sort of safe haven is rediculous. With the speed players can move the ball both via kicking and run and carry if given open space, as a team you're better off to get caught holding the ball where you can slow play down in an area you have players, than you are to mindlessly give the ball away even if you gain a few metres.

So like I said, mindlessly shouting kick it, kick it, KICK IT.

Sockeye Salmon
15-07-2011, 12:48 PM
It's just a frustration from the fans who can see no clear game plan, or that the players are not following the game plan. I think fans would prefer to see the ball turned over 60 metres up field than a holding the ball decision for excessive hand balls in the back half.

No, they're just fools.

LostDoggy
15-07-2011, 12:50 PM
And Robert Walls always calling us the "Bullies". It's BULLDOGS dumbarse!! :mad:

LostDoggy
15-07-2011, 01:15 PM
Matthew Lloyd comentating or being on TV, Radio full stop. Monotone and boring, I'm sure he was a good player in his day but some people just aren't cutout for media. I use to keel over in pain when he was interviewed back in the day, and I always said then "I can't see him getting a gig on TV once he is retired", Boy was I wrong.

Happy Days
15-07-2011, 02:35 PM

Stuey Maxfield via Bruce started that I think.

LostDoggy
15-07-2011, 03:01 PM
Matthew Lloyd comentating or being on TV, Radio full stop. Monotone and boring, I'm sure he was a good player in his day but some people just aren't cutout for media. I use to keel over in pain when he was interviewed back in the day, and I always said then "I can't see him getting a gig on TV once he is retired", Boy was I wrong.

Nathan Buckley is the same. Champion player, personality of a walnut.