PDA

View Full Version : Sherman, DJ and Veszpremi....wasted trades?

DOG GOD
05-07-2011, 03:41 PM
I know its only just past mid year, but have we made a judgment error in bringing these guys to the club at the waste of using those picks for kids like Dalhaus?

Sherman certainly isnt a 4 qtr player and has now other issues to worry about. DJ has really done not much at all in his games for the club and realistically its doubtful whether he will become the "crumber" we have been wanting in our team. With all our injuries and indifferent form, we are yet to see Vezspremi in our colours.

To me this feels like a "selley's" moment (fill gap), where we have traded for players with not alot of long term futire at our club...almost similar to those Rhode trades with Koops, Street and Morgon.

Thoughts?

Mantis
05-07-2011, 03:50 PM
To me this feels like a "selley's" moment (fill gap), where we have traded for players with not alot of long term futire at our club...almost similar to those Rhode trades with Koops, Street and Morgon.

Slight difference is that in the Rohde trades we gave up:

Pick #19 - Koops (Freo picked up Mundy)
Pick #20 - Street
Pick #34 - Morgan

Fail, Fail, Fail.

Remi Moses
05-07-2011, 03:56 PM
The warning bells must have sounded when neither Djkuerra or Vezspremi couldn't get a look in at all at their previous clubs.Sherman's a good player in a team traveling well, Veszpremi doesn't seem fit enough or work hard enough and DJ just doesn't seem to have any polish.

Emphasizes to me that using the draft is paramount to recycling fringe players!
(Sherman the exception). Mind you Everitt isn't setting the world on fire

always right
05-07-2011, 03:57 PM
1. Been relatively happy with Sherman.
2. Jury is out on DJ but not looking promising.
3. Veszpremi has the talent but is he what we need now? We have looked so much better
adding pace to our forwardline, something he doesn't possess a lot of. Having said that,
I would like to see him get a chance as I suspect he would be a much better player in
senior company than in the VFL. Jury still out.

Sedat
05-07-2011, 04:47 PM
Slight difference is that in the Rohde trades we gave up:

Pick #19 - Koops (Freo picked up Mundy)
Pick #20 - Street
Pick #34 - Morgan

Fail, Fail, Fail.
Agreed, although the 3 years of wages we will be pumping into DJ have a decidedly stale whiff about them already.

All hindsight now but I would have preferred we picked up Walker instead of Sherman with the Harbrow compensation pick (unlikely but Carlton might have taken this late in the week), and Nicoski instead of DJ. Happy with the punt on Vesz as part of the Everitt trade (which also got us the Skinner pick thrown in as a freebie).

I would also have liked to bank picks 37 and 66 for Josh Hill :(

Bulldog Joe
05-07-2011, 04:49 PM
I think Sherman is ok and still has plenty of years ahead. I actually thought he was just starting to really provide value prior to the vilification incident.

He does make a few poor decisions but got involved in plenty of scoring chances in the Adelaide and Gold Coast games.

Djerrkura is at best a fringe player and I would say we overpaid for him.

Veszpremi as a swap for Everitt is possibly a nil all draw. I have avoided comment on Ves because I did express strong views against him when the trade was first mooted and I am still hoping to be proved wrong.

LostDoggy
05-07-2011, 04:54 PM
Just pretend we traded Everitt for Ves and Barlow, it might actually make you feel a bit better.
DJ however, i not to sure about

MrMahatma
05-07-2011, 05:21 PM
A few said that DJ had a blinder at Willi last weekend.

I think all 3 are the type who'll struggle in a team not doing well. Will be interesting in the remainder of the yr if we continue to play better.

The Underdog
05-07-2011, 05:33 PM
1. Been relatively happy with Sherman.

Aside from the racism...

To be honest, Djerkurra and Vez were what we thought they were. I'm still not unhappy with the Vez/Everitt trade. We were getting nothing out of Drejs and it was a fair swap. It could still pay off but he's never going to be a superstar. DJ is fringe and always will be. Sherman has the capacity to be better and has showed some positive signs but needs to be more consistent in his effort and in keeping his mouth shut.

DOG GOD
05-07-2011, 05:46 PM
I would also have liked to bank picks 37 and 66 for Josh Hill :(

Excuse me if i am wrong, but didnt Pelchen offer up Suckling for Hill in a straight swap before picks came into the equation?

Re: my original post, i am still hopeful Sherman can offer something long term, but he really needs to deliver when it comes to running hard, pressuring hard, tackling hard and putting in a 4 qtr effort consistantly.

Cant see Vez getting alot of game time as really Higgins and Gia play a similar role. Fitness needs to improve alot if he is to become a regular.

Pedro Sanchez
05-07-2011, 05:54 PM
I've been really happy with Sherman in his first year with us - minus the racism of course.

I dont think DJ is up to it, and I cant pass comment on Vez until he actually plays for a sustained period - which if it doesnt happen, answers the question in itself.

What I really like the look of though is our smokey picks and rookies coming through. Guys like Barlow, Dalhause, Schofield, Howard and potentially Tutt. They all seem to have something about them that contributes well – really think Barlow is a bargain.

bornadog
05-07-2011, 06:09 PM
I've been really happy with Sherman in his first year with us - minus the racism of course.

I dont think DJ is up to it, and I cant pass comment on Vez until he actually plays for a sustained period - which if it doesnt happen, answers the question in itself.

What I really like the look of though is our smokey picks and rookies coming through. Guys like Barlow, Dalhause, Schofield, Howard and potentially Tutt. They all seem to have something about them that contributes well – really think Barlow is a bargain.

I agree with what you have said, except I am not prepared to write DJ off yet. However, what I have seen of him, he shows a little potential but decision making is very poor. Hopefully he can improve in this area.

In regards to the OP's qusetions, I don't believe the three are wasted picks - yet.

always right
05-07-2011, 06:12 PM

Barlow has been handy...better than I thought he'd be but not someone you can see being part of a top four side.....which is what we want to be again sooner rather than later. To me he's a gap filler.

bornadog
05-07-2011, 06:14 PM
Barlow has been handy...better than I thought he'd be but not someone you can see being part of a top four side.....which is what we want to be again sooner rather than later. To me he's a gap filler.

I think Barlow is your typical big man only starting to mature in his mid 20's. I think he can improve as he has shown something in his few games for us.

immortalmike
05-07-2011, 06:16 PM
Sherman has been good. Apart from the GC incident.

The other two are young enough to turn it around.

always right
05-07-2011, 06:18 PM
I think Barlow is your typical big man only starting to mature in his mid 20's. I think he can improve as he has shown something in his few games for us.

I'm not convinced. He can't mark over his head in a contest. He is slow, tends to drift out of games and has shown on occasions that he lacks awareness.

What he has going for him is his famous endurance and quite a nice right boot on him. As I said...he's handy...nothing more and nothing less IMO.

1eyedog
05-07-2011, 06:22 PM
The warning bells must have sounded when neither Djkuerra or Vezspremi couldn't get a look in at all at their previous clubs.Sherman's a good player in a team traveling well, Veszpremi doesn't seem fit enough or work hard enough and DJ just doesn't seem to have any polish.

Emphasizes to me that using the draft is paramount to recycling fringe players!
(Sherman the exception). Mind you Everitt isn't setting the world on fire

Exactly, like Farren Ray Justin plays a key role in a team that is generally playing good football. His pace and his ability to kick goals will be crucial to us when he returns.

I have not formed an opinion on D.J but he has looked a little lost in his games with us so far.

I am optimistic about Ves and would like to see him get his turn before the end of the season. The problem is Gia is playing his role beautifully so he may find it difficult to get into the team.

1eyedog
05-07-2011, 06:25 PM
I'm not convinced. He can't mark over his head in a contest. He is slow, tends to drift out of games and has shown on occasions that he lacks awareness.

What he has going for him is his famous endurance and quite a nice right boot on him. As I said...he's handy...nothing more and nothing less IMO.

Certainly deserves more a chance to come on. I don't question that he has been suspect above his shoulders but I disagree with you that he is slow, at least for a guy who is 6'5. He puts himself in the right spots to receive and provides a link in the chain going forward.

His defensive efforts are ordinary and need some work.

always right
05-07-2011, 06:27 PM
Certainly deserves more a chance to come on. I don't question that he has been suspect above his shoulders but I disagree with you that he is slow, at least for a guy who is 6'5. He puts himself in the right spots to receive and provides a link in the chain going forward.

His defensive efforts are ordinary and need some work.

Agree that he has earned futher chances. Certainly not asking for him to be dropped. Just don't see him as a medium to long term solution.

LostDoggy
05-07-2011, 07:00 PM
Excuse me if i am wrong, but didnt Pelchen offer up Suckling for Hill in a straight swap before picks came into the equation?.

Had we closed the deal it would've been taking candy from children. Easy to call it in hindsight but.......

Rocco Jones
05-07-2011, 07:07 PM
Sherman- Like others, I thought he was going OK before the GC incident. He is definitely the type that is better in a gun side but you need that type.

DJ- Seems like most of our fans are done with him, I'm not. I think the issue isn't getting him but his price, both the trade and his contract. Did anyone else want him? Why a 3 year contract? I wish we just went at him the way we should have, give him the last spot on our list type.

Vez- Nil all call is apt. Went to watch him play for Willy. A few have mentioned concerns over his tank but my biggest issue with him is a total lack of explosive/breaking speed. He is so one paced. Combine that with his tank/work ethic and he is struggling to take advantage of his strengths.

Sedat
05-07-2011, 07:25 PM
Vez- Nil all call is apt. Went to watch him play for Willy. A few have mentioned concerns over his tank but my biggest issue with him is a total lack of explosive/breaking speed. He is so one paced. Combine that with his tank/work ethic and he is struggling to take advantage of his strengths.
Sounds like an inferior version of Higgins in our forward line. Perhaps he can be a better weapon off half back with his booming kick - there will be spots up for grabs in our back line with Gilbs and Shaggy both looking like theyve hit the wall. How good would it be to also free up Murph to wreak havoc elsewhere? And Howard is developing nicely as is Schofield.

Footy is a funny game circa 2011 - your most attacking players are better suited in defensive 50 and your best defensive players in forward 50 :D

Pedro Sanchez
05-07-2011, 07:31 PM

Yeah I think you're right... He does help bridge the gap while we build towards top 4 again though, and with luck, that experience might help him develop further and consolidate his spot in the team.

As for DJ - he just looks to raw for me in terms of skill. Butchers the ball by both hand and foot a lot and tops that off with making poor decisions. I like his endeavor and commitment, but my gut feeling is is skill level is just too poor - hopefully I'm wrong.

Happy Days
05-07-2011, 07:46 PM
Sounds like an inferior version of Higgins in our forward line. Perhaps he can be a better weapon off half back with his booming kick

I think this is worth a try - he looked like Luke Hodge Mk. II in his under 18 days off the back flank.

Maddog37
05-07-2011, 07:49 PM
A fit and confident Vez would be a potent weapon IMO. Big ask though regarding the fitness side of things judging on his career to date.

Bulldog Joe
05-07-2011, 09:34 PM
Just pretend we traded Everitt for Ves and Barlow, it might actually make you feel a bit better.
DJ however, i not to sure about

Actually would feel happy if we had traded Everitt for Barlow. I do tend to think this is really true because I feel Barlow will give us more than Everitt did.

LostDoggy
05-07-2011, 11:42 PM
DJ is still young and can be taught. He applies pressure and can get to a contest. His clumsiness and ability to get into the wrong position seem to be the result of inexperience and over anxiousness to do the right thing. If nurtured and persisted with, I feel he can improve. If hammered he looks like he could lose confidence and deteriorate. The game (or the decision making that is required) is played too fast for him at the moment, but I would like to think that, in the longer term, experience and education can overcome this.

Jasper
05-07-2011, 11:57 PM
Its not just Djerkurra's panicking and poor decision making. He appears to have poor skills, is not overly quick, hands aren't too clean, etc. If 4 years at Geelong (who probably are as good at developing talent as any) and the change to our club with the subsequent opportunities don't get him there, I doubt he ever will. I continue to be puzzled at the three year deal given to him.

immortalmike
06-07-2011, 04:43 AM
Its not just Djerkurra's panicking and poor decision making. He appears to have poor skills, is not overly quick, hands aren't too clean, etc. If 4 years at Geelong (who probably are as good at developing talent as any) and the change to our club with the subsequent opportunities don't get him there, I doubt he ever will. I continue to be puzzled at the three year deal given to him.

I've heard that we couldn't fit a two year contract under the salary cap.

LostDoggy
06-07-2011, 10:33 AM
As good as Sherman has been at time and the others have been next to useless this year I have to agree so far the recruits are very disappointing. OK we needed an injection of pace but I thought last year we would struggle to make top 4 with dads army but we did it. Then I thought it strange people picked us as a possible chance for the Grand final. Obviously the match committee thought the same and we just needed a top up of junk with speed. Should have recruited from picks and never ever recruit junk from other teams. Junk is Junk. First thing in our recruiting policy should be never use picks for used players. Even if they are top players like Judd there are plenty of Carlton supporters who still think that was a bad deal with losing Kennedy and high draft picks.

1eyedog
06-07-2011, 10:40 AM
As good as Sherman has been at time and the others have been next to useless this year I have to agree so far the recruits are very disappointing. OK we needed an injection of pace but I thought last year we would struggle to make top 4 with dads army but we did it. Then I thought it strange people picked us as a possible chance for the Grand final. Obviously the match committee thought the same and we just needed a top up of junk with speed. Should have recruited from picks and never ever recruit junk from other teams. Junk is Junk. First thing in our recruiting policy should be never use picks for used players. Even if they are top players like Judd there are plenty of Carlton supporters who still think that was a bad deal with losing Kennedy and high draft picks.

None that I have spoken of. They love him.

LostDoggy
06-07-2011, 12:25 PM

They'll be naming it Judd Park instead of Visy Park in the next few years. They adore the bloke, all I ever hear from my Blue work colleague is Judd, Judd, Judd, Judd...

LostDoggy
06-07-2011, 12:48 PM
Sherman is a talent, he just needs some therapy.

DJ doesnt look good enough but tries hard.

Ves is untried, looked ok in the preseason cup.

LostDoggy
06-07-2011, 01:04 PM
They'll be naming it Judd Park instead of Visy Park in the next few years. They adore the bloke, all I ever hear from my Blue work colleague is Judd, Judd, Judd, Judd...

How do you think it feels living in a family of all Carlton fans, if we lose it's going to unbearable.
Judd's not even the best player on his team this season (Murph) yet he still win the Brownlow

LostDoggy
06-07-2011, 02:59 PM
None that I have spoken of. They love him.

Top player no doubt. Carlton supporters love him. Ask them the question though would they like to have Kennedy in there forward line right now. Most will say yes. Add to that a high first round pick (3, Chris Masten) and second round pick (20) although westcoast picked a dud here. Carlton may have made a better selection. You have to question whether they may have been better of without him. Put it this way they may have been pushing for top 4 last year with two decent selections and Kennedy.

All hypothetical though but does make for good discussion.

Maddog37
06-07-2011, 03:18 PM
Not sure that Murphy etc would be as good as they are without Judds example and leadership. They also would cop the tag each week.

1eyedog
06-07-2011, 03:34 PM
Top player no doubt. Carlton supporters love him. Ask them the question though would they like to have Kennedy in there forward line right now. Most will say yes. Add to that a high first round pick (3, Chris Masten) and second round pick (20) although westcoast picked a dud here. Carlton may have made a better selection. You have to question whether they may have been better of without him. Put it this way they may have been pushing for top 4 last year with two decent selections and Kennedy.

All hypothetical though but does make for good discussion.

It does, but you are assuming that Kennedy and the two picks you are on about would have come on enough to influence a top 4 position for Carlton last year. In my opinion the reason Carlton played finals (and nearly won one) was because Judd was playing for them.

1eyedog
06-07-2011, 03:35 PM
How do you think it feels living in a family of all Carlton fans, if we lose it's going to unbearable.
Judd's not even the best player on his team this season (Murph) yet he still win the Brownlow

Let me know next week how you go there after we win :D

the banker
06-07-2011, 04:14 PM
Judd has dragged that club out of the very ordinary. Murphy etc do not have the onfield leadership IMO.

I'd take Judd 5 times over.

ledge
06-07-2011, 04:44 PM

Tony Liberatore?
Peter Foster?
Terry Wallace?
Junk from one maybe gold for another.

LostDoggy
06-07-2011, 07:10 PM
Tony Liberatore?
Peter Foster?
Terry Wallace?
Junk from one maybe gold for another.

Top players for us. I have to say though this is a different era and clubs are much more diligent in there recruiting. Much harder to pick up the diamonds in the rough.

Ghost Dog
06-07-2011, 11:20 PM

I went and saw Carlton the other day and was really surprised how far Walker has come along. I used to watch him a bit as I had a feeling the club might try and snag him. Used to seem totally lost at times, doesn't have a footballers natural flow about him, but boy can he take a grab. He's very effective, contrary to the way he moves at times. I feel the same about Barlow. It's not pretty, but he's often effective.

Dry Rot
06-07-2011, 11:52 PM
DJ doesnt look good enough but tries hard.

Ves is untried, looked ok in the preseason cup.

The concern about these two is that they have been in the system for a few years now at clubs with a good record with moulding youngsters.

Now more than a half season they both seem a bit ordinary. In particular, Ves should be cutting it up at VFL.

IMO their future doesn't look bright.

On the other hand, Barlow in the right role has shown something and may come good.

Sherman is a bit patchy and OK, but I was expecting a little more.

LostDoggy
07-07-2011, 12:54 AM
The concern about these two is that they have been in the system for a few years now at clubs with a good record with moulding youngsters.

Now more than a half season they both seem a bit ordinary. In particular, Ves should be cutting it up at VFL.

IMO their future doesn't look bright.

On the other hand, Barlow in the right role has shown something and may come good.

Sherman is a bit patchy and OK, but I was expecting a little more.

Very true but I would like to see what Ves can do at the top level with a decent run. Hopefully he can force his way into the side with some consistent vfl form and remain injury free.

Desipura
07-07-2011, 09:46 AM
I would argue Sherman has done more than the pick for Harbrow would have done at this stage, so as from today it is a win for us.

Mofra
07-07-2011, 10:24 AM
Top players for us. I have to say though this is a different era and clubs are much more diligent in there recruiting. Much harder to pick up the diamonds in the rough.
We seem to have done pretty well last year already, considering Schofield was a late pick & Dalhaus & Barlow were a rookies.

Curly5
07-07-2011, 12:20 PM
Like a lot of players, they might shine brighter in a winning combination, which we haven't had too much this year.

Sockeye Salmon
07-07-2011, 05:53 PM
I would argue Sherman has done more than the pick for Harbrow would have done at this stage, so as from today it is a win for us.

Had we not traded that pick there was a good chance we would have used it on Jeremy Howe at Melbourne who has been doing OK.

The Pie Man
25-07-2011, 10:45 AM
What did we think of DJ's game on Saturday?

I cringed during the first quarter as he made what in a short space of time with us can only be described as DJ type errors, though from the 2nd quarter onwards I think he made some very important strides.

17 touches, some streaming quick from a centre clearance (one even finding Grant on the lead)

Thoughts?

1eyedog
25-07-2011, 01:05 PM

I cringed during the first quarter as he made what in a short space of time with us can only be described as DJ type errors, though from the 2nd quarter onwards I think he made some very important strides.

17 touches, some streaming quick from a centre clearance (one even finding Grant on the lead)

Thoughts?

He looked better but I have never in my life seen a player drop so many uncontested marks. One of them on Saturday was crucial as it occurred in our forward line and resulted in a turn over goal.

I hope he improves.

LostDoggy
25-07-2011, 01:43 PM
Trades tend to have a settling in period, so I'm not prepared to make a call on any of them until next year -- having said that, first impressions are that Sherman looks to have something to offer, DJ needs to improve SIGNIFICANTLY, and Ves at this point is an AFL player in a VFL player's body.

Greystache
25-07-2011, 01:53 PM

Thoughts?

I thought Saturday was easily his best game, the question is how far can a player go when his ball handling skills are so poor that he makes it look like he's trying to pick up a bar of soap even on a dry day.

bornadog
25-07-2011, 01:57 PM
I thought Saturday was easily his best game, the question is how far can a player go when his ball handling skills are so poor that he makes it look like he's trying to pick up a bar of soap even on a dry day.

Do you think this is due to nerves? He seems to be able to get to a contest, but some how stuffs up the disposal due to poor decision making. Maybe we should leave him in the team for at least three games just to let him settle in.

Mofra
25-07-2011, 02:07 PM
Do you think this is due to nerves? He seems to be able to get to a contest, but some how stuffs up the disposal due to poor decision making. Maybe we should leave him in the team for at least three games just to let him settle in.
I hope we can find a way to get players to shake their nerves - by all accounts Brodie Moles suffers quite badly in this regard.

Greystache
25-07-2011, 02:15 PM

It might be, because he doesn't fumble as often at VFL level and makes somewhat better decisions, but it might also be because he can't handle the pressure applied at AFL level. Either way I think he's in trouble, like Stack, he's been in the system 5 years, if you still have glaring weaknesses in fundamental areas of the game then it's difficult to see them being overcome.

The Pie Man
25-07-2011, 05:05 PM
What I don't get is that he drops chest marks - I never get it when players at that level can drop chest marks.

I still hold reservations as per GS' concerns, though I'd like to think he took some steps forward from qtr 2 onwards...though I read he may miss along with half our squad through injury this week anyway.

The Bulldogs Bite
25-07-2011, 05:19 PM
Trades tend to have a settling in period, so I'm not prepared to make a call on any of them until next year -- having said that, first impressions are that Sherman looks to have something to offer, DJ needs to improve SIGNIFICANTLY, and Ves at this point is an AFL player in a VFL player's body.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Sherman will be a solid player IMO.

Veszpremi has obvious talent but his body shape is terrible. Needs to lose weight off his legs.

LostDoggy
25-07-2011, 05:44 PM
Sherman has showed patches of brilliance this season, but is capable of being a game breaker or solid finals campaigner?

DJ i think is very much a wasted trade, i never sit comfortable when we get other clubs reject players. If he was good enough to play AFL football, he would have broken into the Geelong team over the past few years. Plus, the contract length really does make things even more sour.

Vez is another player who was only ever a fringe guy, i have already posted in other threads that it was a lose lose situation for both clubs. I know every club needs squad to become a great premiership team, but we could have possibly filled the spot with some one else.

How much & how long is Vez's contract?

stefoid
25-07-2011, 06:23 PM
Unless there are mitigating circumstances like 'I want outa here' factor , discards are always going to have something wrong with them - work ethic, disposal or head case.

Work ethic and head case-edness can be turned around, but can anyone think of a player that has been traded away by any team because they had poor disposal (i.e. lack of talent) that went on to shine?

Vezpremi could turn it around. He has talent by all accounts.

DJ? I would be very surprised. Seems like every time we go to the Geelong-well to trade, we come away with 'poor disposal' types, and Geelong banks the picks. :( they must be on the phone early to us come trade season.... "got any mid range picks you dont want? because we have a battler for you..."

Sherman will be OK, I think. that was more 'outa here' factor.

Sockeye Salmon
25-07-2011, 08:00 PM
There's nothing wrong with identifying someone who isn't getting a go who deserves one and I have no problem with Veszpremi. It might work, might not. Whatever.

Djerrkura is the sort of trade where questions start getting asked. Whoever did the due diligence in this instance needs a please explain. No-one with ball handling as poor as Djerrkura's should be on an AFL list.

The second guy in the gun is the idiot who gave him 3 years.

Desipura
25-07-2011, 09:14 PM
There's nothing wrong with identifying someone who isn't getting a go who deserves one and I have no problem with Veszpremi. It might work, might not. Whatever.

Djerrkura is the sort of trade where questions start getting asked. Whoever did the due diligence in this instance needs a please explain. No-one with ball handling as poor as Djerrkura's should be on an AFL list.

The second guy in the gun is the idiot who gave him 3 years.

Perhaps TCD could ask Fantasia?

Go_Dogs
25-07-2011, 10:33 PM

I don't get the distinction between the 2?

Both we obviously thought were good enough, and weren't getting an opportunity. If anything this probably weighted in DJ's favour as he was trying to break into a stronger side. We identified strengths in each which we thought could add to the side. I'm not sold on DJ - but at least he's been found worthy of games/opportunity.

The real issue is what we paid for DJ. If we'd paid pick 80 odd, grabbed Puopolo with the earlier pick saved, it would have been fine. Instead we somehow got stitched up, and IMO this is a big gripe which turns to frustration at DJ.

GVGjr
25-07-2011, 11:43 PM

When the club was talking up the Djerrkura acquisition I didn't for one minute buy the "we monitored his every game" line they used. I doubt the due diligence was that thorough.

We simply wanted a pacy forward/midfielder with a defensive edge and he fitted the bill. At the moment it doesn't look like much more than a speculative selection. We overpaid for him which wasn't ideal but I think we pressured ourselves because we wanted defensive players with pace. If we had known Dahlhaus was going to be a ripper we might have gone in another direction.

When we talked up Veszpremi it was mentioned how he could take a turn in the midfield etc but the player we have seen looks better suited to forward duties.
Like you, I'm not against us getting him because it may or may not work and sometimes you have to roll the dice.

I thought we had more pressing needs than Sherman but we obviously wanted more running power.

The club is good at spinning these recruitment's as positives

Sockeye Salmon
25-07-2011, 11:44 PM
I don't get the distinction between the 2?

Both we obviously thought were good enough, and weren't getting an opportunity. If anything this probably weighted in DJ's favour as he was trying to break into a stronger side. We identified strengths in each which we thought could add to the side. I'm not sold on DJ - but at least he's been found worthy of games/opportunity.

The real issue is what we paid for DJ. If we'd paid pick 80 odd, grabbed Puopolo with the earlier pick saved, it would have been fine. Instead we somehow got stitched up, and IMO this is a big gripe which turns to frustration at DJ.

The difference is Veszpremi has a chance to make, Djerrkera never did

I'm not even worried about pick 57. At that point of the draft it becomes irrelevant. I also know that if we had kept pick 57 we would have picked Schofield with it.

chef
26-07-2011, 09:23 AM
The difference is Veszpremi has a chance to make, Djerrkera never did

I'm not even worried about pick 57. At that point of the draft it becomes irrelevant. I also know that if we had kept pick 57 we would have picked Schofield with it.

Who would we have drafted with pick 74?

I am more annoyed with giving Hahn the last spot on our list when we could have used it on someone else.

Sockeye Salmon
26-07-2011, 11:10 AM
Who would we have drafted with pick 74?

I am more annoyed with giving Hahn the last spot on our list when we could have used it on someone else.

Actually Skinner.

The two we missed that we were keen on were Melbourne's Jeremy Howe (pick 28 or so) and Essendon's Ariel Steinberg (pick 40-odd)

Had we taken pick 37 for Hill we could have taken Steinberg.

The Coon Dog
26-07-2011, 12:24 PM
Had we taken pick 37 for Hill we could have taken Steinberg.

Had we taken pick 37 from Hawthorn, we had an agreement in place to trade it to Gold Coast for Cam Richardson. Ironically North ended up using a pick (I think it was for David Hale) they got from the Hawks to do the deal.

Happy Days
26-07-2011, 12:47 PM
Had we taken pick 37 from Hawthorn, we had an agreement in place to trade it to Gold Coast for Cam Richardson. Ironically North ended up using a pick (I think it was for David Hale) they got from the Hawks to do the deal.

Not too unhappy with that then, Richardson is the quintessential deer in the headlights at AFL level.

Nuggety Back Pocket
28-07-2011, 04:41 PM
When the club was talking up the Djerrkura acquisition I didn't for one minute buy the "we monitored his every game" line they used. I doubt the due diligence was that thorough.

We simply wanted a pacy forward/midfielder with a defensive edge and he fitted the bill. At the moment it doesn't look like much more than a speculative selection. We overpaid for him which wasn't ideal but I think we pressured ourselves because we wanted defensive players with pace. If we had known Dahlhaus was going to be a ripper we might have gone in another direction.

When we talked up Veszpremi it was mentioned how he could take a turn in the midfield etc but the player we have seen looks better suited to forward duties.
Like you, I'm not against us getting him because it may or may not work and sometimes you have to roll the dice.

I thought we had more pressing needs than Sherman but we obviously wanted more running power.

The club is good at spinning these recruitment's as positives

When you look at who we lost in Johnson, Akermanis and Eagleton the difference in quality is massive. Sherman runs hot and cold whilst the other two had ample opportunities but were considered not good enough at their respective clubs. It is always a risk taking on rejects from other teams. Barlow might be an exception given his size and endurance but that is still to be fully proven. Our future really lies with the younger talent of Roughead, Dahlhaus,Jones, Liberatore, Wallis and maybe one or two others.