PDA

View Full Version : Werribee vs Box Hill

GVGjr
25-08-2007, 08:37 PM
Watched both games today. The ground was in very good order plus the conditions were ideal for good footy.

The reserves got beaten which allowed Box Hill to make the finals. It was a tough game where a few of the Werribee players were clearly targeted.
Only three Bulldog listed players were in the reserves.
Walsh played as the key forward for most of the game and at times he was very good. There were a few examples were he lead very strong and marked at full stretch. He cramped up a little at the 3 quarter time address but played out the game and didn't appear to be too bad.
Overall this was a good effort.
McCormack played both forward and in the midfield and was very effective. Kicked a nice goal on the run and and was one of the better players. He displayed a fair bit of defensive pressure as well which he needs to.
Stack proved that once again he is a very classy player. He has a terrific spring and evasive skills and was a step too quick for his opponents. The really struggled to tackle him and I'm surprised that he wasn't named in one of the best.

Jak Kennedy-Hunt was once again a good player and it's surprising that he hasn't played a senior game for the Bees.
Ben Lavars was very good but received a couple of head high bumps and tackles and at one stage was very groggy.

Listened to both the quarter time and 3 quarter time addresses by Kretiuk and he was impressive.

For the Seniors.

A number of our players didn't get a game today. I didn't see Hill and Hughes or Addison although Hughes was at the game. The victory was set up in the 2nd quarter and I think Pask had a huge impact during that period because he was just about impassable.

Faulkner started in the midfield but was quickly moved to defense and was matched up on a much bigger opponent and beat him nearly every time. Faulkner provided a heap of run and poise out of defence and Atkins really talked him up at the quarter time address.
Pask played in defence and was a terrific contributor and leader. He took a number of solid marks and moved around the ground very well. Based on this effort I need to consider if he should be maintained on the list. He talked well to other defenders during the breaks and provided good input to the defensive coach.
McMahon ended up having a good second half but seemed very disinterested and lethargic at times during the first half. Whilst the defensive coach addressed the players Jordy's mind wasn't focused and he barely made eye contact at any time. He did have a far better 2nd half and provided some of those trademark McMahon dashes.
Lynch started on the interchange but spent a bit of time in the midfield and forward. He ran and used the ball well and was very evasive. Solid game but not much better than that.
O'Shea played in the back line and was just a solid contributor. He does contest well.
Harbrow was primarily in the midfield and was one of the better contributors. Good defensively as we have come to expect. I think he had trouble with his fitness though because he was rotated on and off the ground a fair bit.
Baird was used as a defender and did some nice things but really didn't have a huge impact.
Robbins played as a forward and was fairly quiet.

The Hawks teams have a bit of size about them and I was impressed with Brent Renouf who will develop into a very good player in the next year or so. He was a great spring and is very mobile. He also used the ball fairly well and at 200cm it would be great to have something like this ruckman/KPP on our list.

Anyone else get to the game?

Dry Rot
25-08-2007, 10:39 PM
Good summary - thanks.

Is Pask up to AFL standard or just looks good in the Bees? Is he playing well enough to be retained?

GVGjr
25-08-2007, 11:10 PM
Is Pask up to AFL standard or just looks good in the Bees? Is he playing well enough to be retained?

He is probably playing well enough to be maintained however, it's just his lack of pace that concerns me. At 191cm if you want to play as in KP or even as a 3rd tall generally you need to be either very quick or have a great leap which he doesn't. Currently on a good day he could come in and do a job for us but he also could be a liability. He is probably worth retaining.

westdog54
26-08-2007, 02:59 AM
He is probably playing well enough to be maintained however, it's just his lack of pace that concerns me. At 191cm if you want to play as in KP or even as a 3rd tall generally you need to be either very quick or have a great leap which he doesn't. Currently on a good day he could come in and do a job for us but he also could be a liability. He is probably worth retaining.

I haven't seen enough of him to judge, so I'll ask here:

Would you retain him as a rookie or have him on the senior list. He'd have to go through the rookie draft again, do you think he'd be picked up by anyone else?

Sockeye Salmon
26-08-2007, 11:33 AM

Would you retain him as a rookie or have him on the senior list. He'd have to go through the rookie draft again, do you think he'd be picked up by anyone else?

If he agrees, we can keep him on the rookie list for two years

Go_Dogs
26-08-2007, 11:41 AM
Thanks for your report as always. I'm getting very excited about Stack - can't wait to see what he can do after another pre-season.

GVGjr
26-08-2007, 11:45 AM

I'd probably go with the rookie list and as SS mentioned if he agrees he doesn't have to go through the rookie draft. He would agree to this and probably would providing his manager didn't think a club would draft him to the senior list.
Travis Baird was offered another go on the Lions rookie list but nominated for the draft instead because the Pies were keen on him. We just happened to snap him up first. I doubt if there is another club that wants to draft Pask at the moment.

Topdog
26-08-2007, 12:18 PM
My only problem with all of these guys at Werribee is that every one of them is a defender. We have Wight, Williams, Everitt and Pask all growing as defenders, can any of them turn into forwards?

I'd say Everitt could do it fairly well but the others Im not sure about.

westdog54
26-08-2007, 03:09 PM
If he agrees, we can keep him on the rookie list for two years
Cheers SS I wasn't aware of that. I thought Rookies were only retained for a year.

LostDoggy
26-08-2007, 11:01 PM
I can't see a spot for Pask. The defence is actually working OK and we seem to have a few other options in reserve. Harris, Hargrave, Williams and Morris are the preferred talls and now we have McDougall and Wight as back ups. Add Gilbee McMahon Griffen and even Addison and I think the defence is the least of our problems and Pask seems to be surplus to what we need. I don't think we need Hughes either.

Templeton31
26-08-2007, 11:21 PM
I can't see a spot for Pask. The defence is actually working OK and we seem to have a few other options in reserve. Harris, Hargrave, Williams and Morris are the preferred talls and now we have McDougall and Wight as back ups. Add Gilbee McMahon Griffen and even Addison and I think the defence is the least of our problems and Pask seems to be surplus to what we need. I don't think we need Hughes either.

I dont know whether to agree with you or not TG! On the one hand you are right - Harris, Shaggy, Tom, Morris, Doogs, Wight makes it seem like we have defence covered. On the other hand in the last 5-6 weeks we have been flogged 4 times with none of those guys unavailable...... either way i think Pask is worthy of another rookie year but not the senior list.

westdog54
27-08-2007, 03:42 PM

I don't see much harm in giving pask another year on the Rookie list. He gives us a depth KPP option. The focus of his preseason needs to be sprint and athletic training to develop some pace. Lets not forget Morris was told he was too slow to play football.

i_love_cam_wight37
27-08-2007, 11:26 PM
Werribee Looked really good saturday! Pitty they didnt play like that 3 weeks ago ! McCormack was good in the ressies !

Dry Rot
27-08-2007, 11:37 PM
Welcome to WOOF, i_love_cam_wight37.

Do you think we should keep McCormack?

Mantis
28-08-2007, 11:18 AM
I'm getting very excited about Stack - can't wait to see what he can do after another pre-season.

Stack missed most of the 07 pre-season with injury so in that respect the up-coming pre-season for the 08 season will be really his first.

Mantis
28-08-2007, 11:22 AM
Do you think we should keep McCormack?

You would think he would get 1 more year, don't know if he deserves it, but we can't get rid of all of them. I think that is more important for us to get rid of the poor performing players who play in the first 22 than the poor-performing players at Werribee. I know that that probably doesn't make much sense, but atleast there is some scope for improvemnet in the W'Bee players. I think we have seen the best from the regular senior players and frankly it doesn't stack up.