PDA

View Full Version : Lindsay Gilbee - 200 Games - Congratulations

bornadog
05-07-2011, 06:37 PM
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/347968-lindsay-gilbee.jpg

Picked in the famous 1999 draft at pick 43, Lindsay debuted in 2001. Has been a great player for the club over the years and established himself in the back pocket with his elite kicking skills. Although he hasn't really been the same player since his Dad died, Lindsay still has plenty to offer for the dogs and fans.

Playing honours:
3rd best and fairest 2005; All-Australian 2006; International Rules Series 2005, 2006; pre-season premiership side 2010.

Predominantly a back pocket player, Lindsay has still managed to kick 117 goals. Who can forget the 2006 qualifying final when he kicked the Lindsay special after a handball from Gia or the goal he created against Geelong when he ran the length of Eitihad stadium bouncing the ball and not one player running towards him or the 6 goals this year against Richmond.

Well done Lindsay Gilbee.

LostDoggy
05-07-2011, 06:52 PM
Great too see Gilbee get the 200 up. He has been my favourite player for a few years now. Hope there are still pleanty of games still left in him. On ya Gilbs :)

LostDoggy
05-07-2011, 06:53 PM
Yes , well done Slotter , 200 is a great milestone , I just hope his protege Howitzer can also get to 200 , I really want the both of them to play against Carlton we have to hit our targets

w3design
05-07-2011, 08:26 PM
Well done to Lindsay, an under rated player whose career was resurrected by Eade if I recall rightly? And yes I agree that the passing of his dad seemed to mark a prolonged struggle for consistent form. I guess we forget these are still young men, dealing with life issues, Griff too took a while to recover, formwise, when he lost his dad.

Hoping we see a few more Lindsay specials..we all enjoyed his fantastic 6goal haul a few weeks ago. Well done Lindsay :)

GVGjr
05-07-2011, 08:28 PM
Many years ago on BF (and before he played more than a handful of games) I questioned Dog Towns vision that Gilbee had the potential of being a 200 game player. Happy to bow to DT's better judgement :D

Greystache
05-07-2011, 08:31 PM
It's just a good thing Rohde the mastermind wasn't allowed to serve out the final year of his contract or Lindsay would've been a Swan, and we would've accepted some magic beans as compensation. :D

westbulldog
05-07-2011, 08:51 PM
Congratulations Lindsay on your milestone. You have made a great contribution to the Western Bulldogs as a player and clubman and your outstanding kicking skills have given supporters great enjoyment. Have a great game this weekend.

DragzLS1
05-07-2011, 11:04 PM
Go son u still have it in you and hope u have a ripper of a game to help the dogs to a 45 point win ;)

Jasper
05-07-2011, 11:54 PM
It's just a good thing Rohde the mastermind wasn't allowed to serve out the final year of his contract or Lindsay would've been a Swan, and we would've accepted some magic beans as compensation. :D

I remember going to one of those corporate brekkies on the day Garlick got delisted. Lindsay and Simon were there and both put on a great show, despite the problems with Lindsay not getting a game at the time under Peter Rhode. Lindsay was clearly frustrated and I went away thinking we had lost him. I think T Wallace at the Tiges was massively into him and they put an offer to him. Luckily Eade came on board and the rest is history.

Well done to Lindsay on a great career. And good on Rocket for ensuring he stayed.

SonofScray
06-07-2011, 12:07 AM
He has been a wonderful player for us for a few years in a strong team. Potentially one of the few guys from that class of '99 that can probably escape the "failed to play well in finals" brush. Might be way off the mark but I can't remember being filthy with his efforts in a PF at all.

At peak form he has been excellent one on one, defensively in the air (for his size) and on the ground. Would kill a contest and sweep the ball away with delightful foot skills in the same motion. Great value on the scoreboard.

There was a string of form he had where Eade was happy to have him play on a 2nd tall / resting ruckman such was the confidence that his ability to spoil and then hurt the opposition the other way would pay dividends.

I think given his age and current patchy form we may have seen his best though, like others have mentioned he just hasn't been as sure a thing the past few seasons. Still, his best is very good. I hope he can find some form and really leave the game on his terms in a few years time.

200 games is a top effort, well done Gilbo!

G-Mo77
06-07-2011, 01:55 AM
I've been pretty down on Gilbs for most of the year but I'm very happy to see him achieve this great milestone.

Congrats Lindsay! :)

Maddog37
06-07-2011, 09:39 AM
The guy is a champ in my eyes. Always seems to be trying even when out of form. Never heard a bad word about him and never heard him give himself a wrap or bag anyone else. All class.

Desipura
06-07-2011, 09:41 AM
Rated him from day 1, remember him playing at Geelong for Werribee and he sold some candy and took on 3 opponents and kicked a nice goal.
Since then, I was sold, often wondered why he played as many games for Werribee initially.

LostDoggy
06-07-2011, 09:59 AM
200 is a huge milestone for any player. Most players don't even get to 100 so 200 is massive.

LostDoggy
06-07-2011, 10:10 AM
Congratulations Lindsay on your milestone. You have made a great contribution to the Western Bulldogs as a player and clubman and your outstanding kicking skills have given supporters great enjoyment. Have a great game this weekend.

Well said westbulldog - I totally agree with your sentiments and let's hope that the boys can pull a big win out of their bag of tricks to celebrate this milestone. Congratulations Lindsay, and well played!

Curly5
06-07-2011, 12:04 PM
A very unassuming and nice guy who's been a great contributor to our team. Congratulations, Lindsay, hope you can extend your career for a couple more seasons.

LostDoggy
06-07-2011, 12:36 PM
Well done Gilbs. Good luck on the weekend - hope its a good one for you and the club!
All Australian / 200 games are tremendous achievements.....hopefully there is more to come.

I hope Gilbs plays across half forward this weekend and kicks a few goals for us!

LostDoggy
06-07-2011, 02:27 PM
His attempting to selling team members cars in the classifieds made him a hit with me along with his pinpoint grass-cutter passing.

LostDoggy
06-07-2011, 05:55 PM
Well done Gilbs!

Go_Dogs
06-07-2011, 08:17 PM
Great job by Gilbee, been a very good player for us. In full flight one of the best players to watch. Hopefully he finishes off the season strongly.

AndrewP6
06-07-2011, 08:54 PM
Terrific achievement Gilbs... full credit to you for making a milestone many can only dream of. All the best for Sunday.

Stefcep
07-07-2011, 02:06 AM
My son's favourite player. Remember a Collingwood game where they missed about 4 in a row they should have got (Rhys Shaw a couple on the run), last Q, in time-on, a couple of goals in it, we get it down the other end, Gilbee takes it on half forward flank, goes round a player, my son (Surrounded by The Filth) yells out "Ok Lindsay, show them how its done". Sure enough, text book drop punt kick goes straight over the umps head . We copped a few dirty looks. We didn't care. On ya Lindsay!

chef
07-07-2011, 08:40 AM
Well done Gilbs, hopefully he can finish his last year in style

Greystache
07-07-2011, 03:07 PM
Well done Gilbs, hopefully he can finish his last year in style

He's got a contract for next year, and he said on the radio today he hopes to play two more years.

chef
07-07-2011, 03:21 PM
He's got a contract for next year, and he said on the radio today he hopes to play two more years.

Really, do you think he can?

Greystache
07-07-2011, 04:07 PM
Really, do you think he can?

I think he'd be a real worry next year, but he's contracted and sounds like he wants to play on, so unless we can afford to pay him out he'll be at the club next year.

SlimPickens
07-07-2011, 04:19 PM
I think he'd be a real worry next year, but he's contracted and sounds like he wants to play on, so unless we can afford to pay him out he'll be at the club next year.

He could only really play as a forward IMO, if he can have the defensive mind set and contribute with a goal here and there, then he may get a game next year. Can't see him being a pure defender, although his skills are still good, i worry about him 1 on 1.

Bulldog Revolution
07-07-2011, 04:34 PM
Lets not get distracted from the main message of the thread

Congratulations Lindsay

You have had a fantastic career with the dogs, been one of my favourites and amongst the most skilled players in my life time supporting the club.

the banker
07-07-2011, 04:37 PM
Congratulations to Lindsay Gilbee, a great achievement in playing 200 AFL games. At times a dynamic force and we would anticipate something special when he was on the move about to deliver the ball.

IMO still capable of a great pack spoil and some exceptional kicking.

Good luck Lindsay for Sunday and the rest of 2011.

LostDoggy
07-07-2011, 09:42 PM
Congrats Gilbs, always been a favorite. Hope your 200th is celebrated in style.

LostDoggy
08-07-2011, 05:53 PM
Well done Gilbs.

Win it for him boys!

KT31
09-07-2011, 03:20 PM
Congrats Lindsay and lets have a win to celebrate.