PDA

View Full Version : Should Brian Lake take a pay cut?

Sockeye Salmon
06-07-2011, 06:17 PM
This is a really good idea.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/should-bulldog-brian-lake-take-a-pay-cut/story-fn6cisdj-1226088290761

It means Lake will be taking up one vets list spot for a while when we have a few others eligible - Murphy, Gia, Boyd & Morris but I still think it's worth it.

chef
06-07-2011, 06:43 PM
I can't see Lake taking a pay cut.

Rocco Jones
06-07-2011, 06:49 PM
Do we give a pay risk to contracted players who play above expectations? No.

Soccer players do it a lot, sign a contract then demand more if they go beyond expectations. Thankfully footy is different. You get what you sign on for, good or bad.

Sockeye Salmon
06-07-2011, 08:07 PM
I can't see Lake taking a pay cut.

He would still end up with more money overall, just spread out over 3 years rather than 2.

He would pay less tax

We get salary cap relief

He won't even be taking up a spot on the list because he's a veteran (we would have one less rookie)

chef
06-07-2011, 08:24 PM
He would still end up with more money overall, just spread out over 3 years rather than 2.

He would pay less tax

We get salary cap relief

He won't even be taking up a spot on the list because he's a veteran (we would have one less rookie)

Do you think he has another three seasons left in him?

LostDoggy
06-07-2011, 09:03 PM

That's a bargaining chip in itself.

Sockeye Salmon
06-07-2011, 09:06 PM

That's not the point.

We have to pay him for two more unless we trade him and someone else agrees to pay his salary - no chance of that happening.

If we re-do his contract for 3 years rather than 2 we can spread the pain a bit and because he's on the vets list it won't matter if he doesn't even play in the 3rd year as he will only be taking a rookies spot.

+ves for us:
Spread the salary cap load

-ves for us:
We would have to give him a little extra (not a lot)
He would take the spot of a rookie

+ves for Lake:
A slightly longer contract worth a bit more
Spread the tax out over another year

-ves for Lake:
None.

chef
06-07-2011, 10:03 PM
Fair enough, I agree.

Raw Toast
06-07-2011, 10:04 PM
That's not the point.

We have to pay him for two more unless we trade him and someone else agrees to pay his salary - no chance of that happening.

If we re-do his contract for 3 years rather than 2 we can spread the pain a bit and because he's on the vets list it won't matter if he doesn't even play in the 3rd year as he will only be taking a rookies spot.

+ves for us:
Spread the salary cap load

-ves for us:
We would have to give him a little extra (not a lot)
He would take the spot of a rookie

+ves for Lake:
A slightly longer contract worth a bit more
Spread the tax out over another year

-ves for Lake:
None.

It's a compelling argument SS, and as the HUN article states, it could help Lake get back on better terms with his teamates as well as help us retain Ward. I can't quite see it happening though - probably because it makes too much sense!

LostDoggy
06-07-2011, 10:32 PM
Just so I'm clear.
Has everyone written off Lake as a player and he'll never recapture what he had the last two years? He wont get over the injury or attitude he has at the minute?

AndrewP6
06-07-2011, 10:51 PM
Just so I'm clear.
Has everyone written off Lake as a player and he'll never recapture what he had the last two years? He wont get over the injury or attitude he has at the minute?

I'm really concerned that if/when he does, it'll be for some other mob.

1eyedog
06-07-2011, 10:59 PM
Just so I'm clear.

You been drinking again?

LostDoggy
06-07-2011, 11:01 PM
You been drinking again?

Did I stop?

Dry Rot
06-07-2011, 11:22 PM
Just so I'm clear.

Maybe a third question is does he just want to leave?

Doc26
07-07-2011, 01:10 AM
I can't help but feel that Brian would view as fanciful the suggestion that he should entertain a form of pay cut with the money being thrown around.

Maybe a third question is does he just want to leave?

Agree. Brian seeking a trade is a high probability.

Stefcep
07-07-2011, 01:49 AM
Can someone tell me what's led to this situation. Wasn't that long ago he was All Australian and we were desperate to keep him. What I will say though is for me he's frustrated me over his career more than any other player, ever.

chef
07-07-2011, 08:33 AM
Can someone tell me what's led to this situation. Wasn't that long ago he was All Australian and we were desperate to keep him. What I will say though is for me he's frustrated me over his career more than any other player, ever.

Maybe the Eagleton situation has had something to do with this.

LostDoggy
07-07-2011, 08:39 AM
He would pay less tax

He'd pay the same rate of tax. +180K is 46.5% in the dollar.

Mofra
07-07-2011, 10:26 AM
Do we give a pay risk to contracted players who play above expectations? No.

Soccer players do it a lot, sign a contract then demand more if they go beyond expectations. Thankfully footy is different. You get what you sign on for, good or bad.
Cooney had a brownlow clause in his last contract, and picked up a cool $100k bonus for his 2008 season by all accounts.

I don't think it's common in AFL circles but I am led to believe it happens with B&F results occasionally.

bornadog
07-07-2011, 10:28 AM
Cooney had a brownlow clause in his last contract, and picked up a cool $100k bonus for his 2008 season by all accounts.

I don't think it's common in AFL circles but I am led to believe it happens with B&F results occasionally.

Back in the 80's, Beasely had a bonus clause giving him $x for every goal. It was great in 1985 when he topped the ton. Every time he handballed to another player for a goal (rare), the crowd would yell out there goes another $500.:D

LostDoggy
07-07-2011, 10:48 AM
I'm really concerned that if/when he does, it'll be for some other mob.

Would not blame him if he did want to go after what he has had to endure at this club and from its so called supporters BLOODY DISGRACE.if he does go I only hope he becomes AA for who ever takes him to prove a point to the lot of you Brian Bashers.

AndrewP6
07-07-2011, 01:46 PM
Would not blame him if he did want to go after what he has had to endure at this club and from its so called supporters BLOODY DISGRACE.if he does go I only hope he becomes AA for who ever takes him to prove a point to the lot of you Brian Bashers.

What exactly has he "had to endure" and which "Bashers" are you referring to? For what it's worth, I'm a big Briza fan. When he's right, he's arguably the best FB in the land. But obviously, something's not right - for me, it's a mystery exactly what that "something" might be.

LostDoggy
07-07-2011, 02:10 PM

Okay Brian, take your pills.

bornadog
07-07-2011, 02:42 PM

I am with you, many supporters writing him off, journos saying he will leave the Dogs, supporters asking why the club has mis treated and mishandled his injuries. I have been amazed at all the talk and discussion. Why can't people just accept that he had three major operations and it will take time for his body and confidence to come back.

Mantis
07-07-2011, 02:50 PM
I am with you, many supporters writing him off, journos saying he will leave the Dogs, supporters asking why the club has mis treated and mishandled his injuries. I have been amazed at all the talk and discussion. Why can't people just accept that he had three major operations and it will take time for his body and confidence to come back.

How 'major' were the operations?

It's now rd 16 and we still haven't seen a fit Lake appear.... For a professional athelete it ain't good enough.

bornadog
07-07-2011, 03:02 PM
How 'major' were the operations?

It's now rd 16 and we still haven't seen a fit Lake appear.... For a professional athelete it ain't good enough.

Equivalent to a knee reco that can take a year. Yes he hasn't done himself any favours either by really putting in.

I remeber when Tony Libba had two knee reco's and he trained and went to recovery sessions like there was no tomorrow and everyone at the time couldn't believe how quickly he recovered. I am afraid Brian doesn't have that sort of urgency.

Axe Man
07-07-2011, 03:25 PM
Okay Brian, take your pills.

You might be right - 12 posts from Porkie, 11 of them about Brian.:rolleyes:

stefoid
07-07-2011, 05:04 PM
I think if my boss said we want you to work an extra year for nothing, Id say no...

LostDoggy
07-07-2011, 05:11 PM
Sometimes injuries take longer to recover and for confidence in the body to come back.

Benefit of the doubt

Sockeye Salmon
07-07-2011, 06:00 PM
I think if my boss said we want you to work an extra year for nothing, Id say no...

But in Jon Ralph's example he was getting a bit more

Sockeye Salmon
07-07-2011, 06:01 PM
He'd pay the same rate of tax. +180K is 46.5% in the dollar.

Only once you get there.

LostDoggy
07-07-2011, 06:09 PM
You might be right - 12 posts from Porkie, 11 of them about Brian.:rolleyes:

You IDIOT, Ive met Brian on a few occassions and he is the nicest bloke you would meet,I just feel we all thought he was the BEST the last couple of years.And NOW only a handful of people are supporting him I being ONE of them.A KNEE, A HIP,and A SHOULDER,OP has slowed him down,I think all of that would slow ANYONE down.Think about it WHY DID EADE BRING HIM BACK IN ROUND 3 ???????? far to early and thats what exposed him to you lot and the media.The bloody club need to be able to handle there injured players better.(cooney,hall,lake.)does that not tell you mismanaged.And to the smart ar## who posted brian take your medication(only hope none of the players read this crap)Yes I have posted 11 posts on Lake,I still shake my head in DIS BELIEF,that he was everyones champ last yr now he is injured most of you want to throw him on the scrap heap. BLOODY DISGRACFUL.

The Coon Dog
07-07-2011, 06:18 PM
You IDIOT, Ive met Brian on a few occassions and he is the nicest bloke you would meet,I just feel we all thought he was the BEST the last couple of years.And NOW only a handful of people are supporting him I being ONE of them.A KNEE, A HIP,and A SHOULDER,OP has slowed him down,I think all of that would slow ANYONE down.Think about it WHY DID EADE BRING HIM BACK IN ROUND 3 ???????? far to early and thats what exposed him to you lot and the media.The bloody club need to be able to handle there injured players better.(cooney,hall,lake.)does that not tell you mismanaged.And to the smart ar## who posted brian take your medication(only hope none of the players read this crap)Yes I have posted 11 posts on Lake,I still shake my head in DIS BELIEF,that he was everyones champ last yr now he is injured most of you want to throw him on the scrap heap. BLOODY DISGRACFUL.

No need you to call others names. If you want to be taken seriously, then think before you type! :rolleyes:

LostDoggy
07-07-2011, 06:18 PM
Jesus Porkie Pie, have you sort counselling for your obvious problems?

LostDoggy
07-07-2011, 06:37 PM
Jesus Porkie Pie, have you sort counselling for your obvious problems?

WHATEVER (its people like you)real happy too say this is my last post.

LostDoggy
07-07-2011, 06:39 PM
no need you to call others names. If you want to be taken seriously, then think before you type! :rolleyes:

poor didams,

chef
07-07-2011, 06:41 PM
poor didams,

BF might be a better fit for you porkie.

Greystache
07-07-2011, 06:55 PM
You IDIOT, Ive met Brian on a few occassions and he is the nicest bloke you would meet,I just feel we all thought he was the BEST the last couple of years.And NOW only a handful of people are supporting him I being ONE of them.A KNEE, A HIP,and A SHOULDER,OP has slowed him down,I think all of that would slow ANYONE down.Think about it WHY DID EADE BRING HIM BACK IN ROUND 3 ???????? far to early and thats what exposed him to you lot and the media.The bloody club need to be able to handle there injured players better.(cooney,hall,lake.)does that not tell you mismanaged. And to the smart ar## who posted brian take your medication(only hope none of the players read this crap)Yes I have posted 11 posts on Lake,I still shake my head in DIS BELIEF,that he was everyones champ last yr now he is injured most of you want to throw him on the scrap heap. BLOODY DISGRACFUL.

School holidays again. :rolleyes:

I don't mind a poster calling someone an idiot, but not when you're semi-literate yourself.

GVGjr
07-07-2011, 08:12 PM
Equivalent to a knee reco that can take a year. Yes he hasn't done himself any favours either by really putting in.

Are you sure? All pre-season we were reading that Lake would be ready to go by round one.
Surely we didn't get it that wrong?

Ghost Dog
07-07-2011, 09:21 PM
It's funny how many fans seem to have turned on Brian.

Remi Moses
07-07-2011, 09:30 PM
Said it once I'll say it again should be warehoused for the season .
Get the body right and have a big pre-season, the club got it wrong he's clearly not right.
Brian has to do the right thing with his rehab and ensure his right to go

Topdog
07-07-2011, 10:19 PM

I remeber when Tony Libba had two knee reco's and he trained and went to recovery sessions like there was no tomorrow and everyone at the time couldn't believe how quickly he recovered. I am afraid Brian doesn't have that sort of urgency.

And when you are being paid $600k a year to be out on the ground that really isn't good enough and is deserving of criticism.

LostDoggy
08-07-2011, 05:48 PM
And when you are being paid $600k a year to be out on the ground that really isn't good enough and is deserving of criticism.

I'm going with TD on this one.
I'm not a BLake hater, in fact I can't wait for him to sort himselfout and jump back into that defensive 'black hole' he created for the opposition last year. I don't want him to go anywhere today as much as I didn't want him to go anywhere when his contract expired.
However when you are getting the pay check, you are getting the criticism. If you want a top dog pay check you are going to wear the pressure of a top dog. Sorry Brian take it on the chin and comeout swinging.