PDA

View Full Version : Number One to three Draft pick- Who would you give up?

bornadog
07-07-2011, 11:11 AM
Its looking like Patton will be the number one draft pick this year, a big tall lad that knows how to position himself and take a good grab. There are also a couple of other players that are in the top ten, Coniglio, Wingard, Kavanagh, Tyson, Longer, Hoskin-Elliott, Sumner, D Smith, Crozier.

In theory - who would you be willing to give up to take in the top three picks? Please no stupid trade offers like Gia, Gilbee etc. You have to give up someone good to gain someone good?

BulldogBelle
07-07-2011, 11:23 AM
Its looking like Patton will be the number one draft pick this year, a big tall lad that knows how to position himself and take a good grab. There are also a couple of other players that are in the top ten, Coniglio, Wingard, Kavanagh, Tyson, Longer, Hoskin-Elliott, Sumner, D Smith, Crozier.

In theory - who would you be willing to give up to take in the top three picks? Please no stupid trade offers like Gia, Gilbee etc. You have to give up someone good to gain someone good?

What would we get for Ward AND Cross?

SlimPickens
07-07-2011, 11:25 AM
Was it John Ralph yesterday that said Lake may demand two first round picks. If that was the case i'd jump at it, we don't have the cattle (that we would be willing to off load) which could demand a top pick.

SlimPickens
07-07-2011, 11:26 AM
What would we get for Ward AND Cross?

Maybe a late first round pick, if it's compensation for Ward i'd expectsomething similar to what we got for Harbrow.

The Coon Dog
07-07-2011, 11:32 AM
In all honesty, to get a top 3 pick you would have to give up a gun, someone like Griffen. No way Jose!

BulldogBelle
07-07-2011, 11:33 AM
Maybe a late first round pick, if it's compensation for Ward i'd expectsomething similar to what we got for Harbrow.

Ward is worth more than Harbrow

Harbrow is worth more than Sniper Brown

The system is a joke

Remi Moses
07-07-2011, 04:52 PM
In all honesty, to get a top 3 pick you would have to give up a gun, someone like Griffen. No way Jose!

Exactly, you're not going to get early picks for Brian.
Jon Ralph is an idiot, just remind people every man and his dog had an injury plagued Cox and Kerr traded this time 12 months ago! Look what's happened and throw in Embley as well.
Warehouse Brian for the remainder of the season get a big pre-season into him makes a massive difference.

Sockeye Salmon
07-07-2011, 05:57 PM
Assuming Brian wanted to go, I don't believe in gtrading players against their will, I would be looking for:

Talia, Trengove (PA) or Rance plus their clubs first rounder. Take it or leave it.

Greystache
07-07-2011, 07:00 PM
Assuming Brian wanted to go, I don't believe in gtrading players against their will, I would be looking for:

Talia, Trengove (PA) or Rance plus their clubs first rounder. Take it or leave it.

Rance from Richmond? No thanks, I'd rather get Andrejs Everitt back as a key defender.

Happy Days
07-07-2011, 07:11 PM
Rance from Richmond? No thanks, I'd rather get Andrejs Everitt back as a key defender.

Bang on; no footy smarts whatsoever.

lemmon
07-07-2011, 07:21 PM
Bang on; no footy smarts whatsoever.

Mitch Brown has fallen off the radar this year after a bit of chat last year, anyone have any idea where he's at?

Sockeye Salmon
07-07-2011, 08:46 PM
Mitch Brown has fallen off the radar this year after a bit of chat last year, anyone have any idea where he's at?

Re-signed for 3 years

lemmon
07-07-2011, 10:19 PM
Re-signed for 3 years

Makes sense, the only the other options I'd look at if Brian wanted out was trading with one of the new clubs. GC are going to struggle to hang onto all of those young fellas and another big body would be valuable at either club, would love a look at one of GWS' 17 year olds as well.

LostDoggy
11-07-2011, 02:05 AM
Makes sense, the only the other options I'd look at if Brian wanted out was trading with one of the new clubs. GC are going to struggle to hang onto all of those young fellas and another big body would be valuable at either club, would love a look at one of GWS' 17 year olds as well.

Lake and Higgins for a 17 year old pick an early first round and a late first round? :eek:

LostDoggy
11-07-2011, 10:08 AM
Josh Hill for Patton. (Yes, I'm dreaming, but please don't wake me up just yet, this is a nice dream…)

Desipura
11-07-2011, 01:49 PM
Hill for Bate would be more realistic.

LostDoggy
11-07-2011, 02:00 PM
Hill for Bate would be more realistic.

Yes, I was joking, you seeā€¦

Happy Days
11-07-2011, 02:22 PM
Hill for pick 15 would be more realistic.

James Fantasia here, editing for accuracy.

1eyedog
11-07-2011, 03:05 PM

exactly, we give up an established gun in his prime for a potential gun that will take four years to come on. I guess it depends on where the club is at in relation to competing for a Grand Final.

Where are we at?

bornadog
11-07-2011, 03:44 PM
exactly, we give up an established gun in his prime for a potential gun that will take four years to come on. I guess it depends on where the club is at in relation to competing for a Grand Final.

Where are we at?

Depends if you have an over abundance of one type of player and need another type. eg, we have lots of in and under players but lack another big backman.

LostDoggy
11-07-2011, 03:53 PM
Depends if you have an over abundance of one type of player and need another type. eg, we have lots of in and under players but lack another big backman.

Or you have a gun player that wants to move on.

Mantis
11-07-2011, 03:54 PM

So we are going to give up Reid as we have too many in & unders and in return we get a 1st rounder... Of course we will.

bornadog
11-07-2011, 04:24 PM
So we are going to give up Reid as we have too many in & unders and in return we get a 1st rounder... Of course we will.

Reid:eek::confused:

Where did I say that? I was giving an example of why you may give up a player.

bulldogsman
11-07-2011, 04:28 PM
The only likely way we'd get a top 3 pick is if Ward wanted to leave and we trade our first round pick to them. I'm not in favour of this.

Ward for Sumner (outside mid) would be ok.

Sockeye Salmon
11-07-2011, 05:29 PM
Ward for Sumner (outside mid) would be ok.

That would be wrist slitting time

Sumner kicks it like Shorty Daniels

mjp
11-07-2011, 06:26 PM
It wont matter what you want to give up...GWS can get their fill of uncontracted players and keep the top 3 picks. The opportunity to trade picks for players is really with the eligible 17yo's...who have been nominated and themselves must nominate by the end of this month.

So Ward for Sumner (who kicks it OK SS) can't happen - but Ward for O'Meara could.

bulldogsman
11-07-2011, 06:41 PM
It wont matter what you want to give up...GWS can get their fill of uncontracted players and keep the top 3 picks. The opportunity to trade picks for players is really with the eligible 17yo's...who have been nominated and themselves must nominate by the end of this month.

So Ward for Sumner (who kicks it OK SS) can't happen - but Ward for O'Meara could.

I forgot you could that, trading for a 17 year old player like O'Meara is better option.

On Sumner I was speaking more of drafting Sumner with the pick GWS would give us for Ward rather then trading.

1eyedog
12-07-2011, 12:07 AM

We're talking about giving up guns though and I don't like the sound of giving up established guns for potential guns.

Happy to look at 2nd and 3rd tier insiders for instance to get a 2nd tier outsider if that's what we need to do.

chef
12-07-2011, 08:25 AM

But we would have to have re-contracted Ward first then trade him for O'Meara(if we lose Ward it is going to be for a dodgy compo pick and that's all). Can't see that ever happening.

Lake for O'Meara/17 year old gun and a first round pick(mid to late) would be a better option if we wanted to go down that path, but I doubt anyone is going to offer that for Brian.

BulldogBelle
12-07-2011, 01:07 PM
But we would have to have re-contracted Ward first then trade him for O'Meara(if we lose Ward it is going to be for a dodgy compo pick and that's all). Can't see that ever happening.

Lake for O'Meara/17 year old gun and a first round pick(mid to late) would be a better option if we wanted to go down that path, but I doubt anyone is going to offer that for Brian.

If Ward wants to go he isnt going to resign with us for $400k a year (or whatever we are offering him) and then leave to go to GWS - he will sign with them first for $600k odd a season and we will get pick 15 or something

I wouldnt be trading an All Australian from 2010 for an unproven 17 year old who has never played an AFL game (unless we get an existing promisiong 50+ gamer)....the draft is too much a lottery....we could draft the next Sam Power, Jordan McMahon, Tim Walsh etc

Jasper
12-07-2011, 02:07 PM
Ward is worth more than Harbrow

Harbrow is worth more than Sniper Brown

The system is a joke

How is Ward worth more than Harbrow?
Harbrow was borderline All Australian the past two seasons.

He has the POTENTIAL to be a Joel Selwood type mid-fielder, but they value the compensation on past performance not projected future performance

Mofra
12-07-2011, 02:33 PM
How is Ward worth more than Harbrow?
Harbrow was borderline All Australian the past two seasons.

He has the POTENTIAL to be a Joel Selwood type mid-fielder, but they value the compensation on past performance not projected future performance
Draft order also plays a part under the AFL system though - Harbrow was a rookie, Ward is a 21 yo early second round pick who will potentially earn more than Harbrow.

LostDoggy
12-07-2011, 03:47 PM
If Ward wants to go he isnt going to resign with us for $400k a year (or whatever we are offering him) and then leave to go to GWS - he will sign with them first for $600k odd a season and we will get pick 15 or something

I wouldnt be trading an All Australian from 2010 for an unproven 17 year old who has never played an AFL game (unless we get an existing promisiong 50+ gamer)....the draft is too much a lottery....we could draft the next Sam Power, Jordan McMahon, Tim Walsh etc

Or the next Chris Judd. (Not saying I disagree about Lake, but the draft is what it is)

LostDoggy
13-07-2011, 08:29 PM
Want....

2011 Draft from Tassie.....

Brody Mihocek, Burnie, 4 Feb 1993, 191cm, 86kg
The Burnie Docker was cut down by a hip ailment last season, but the rangy utility made up for lost time during the champs. He was named in the defenders' group in the All Australian team, but displayed an excellent work rate when thrown forward against NT. He's good overhead and coach Matthew Armstrong loves his ability to quickly turn defence into attack when he's in the back half.

Best of the tall defenders on offer ATM apparently...

Sockeye Salmon
13-07-2011, 09:48 PM
Want....

2011 Draft from Tassie.....

Brody Mihocek, Burnie, 4 Feb 1993, 191cm, 86kg
The Burnie Docker was cut down by a hip ailment last season, but the rangy utility made up for lost time during the champs. He was named in the defenders' group in the All Australian team, but displayed an excellent work rate when thrown forward against NT. He's good overhead and coach Matthew Armstrong loves his ability to quickly turn defence into attack when he's in the back half.

Best of the tall defenders on offer ATM apparently...

No dumb Tasmanians

LostDoggy
14-07-2011, 12:03 AM
No dumb Tasmanians

Jack Riewoldt? Matty Richardson? Just got to hunt out the good ones.