aker39
07-07-2011, 05:57 PM
In: Minson. Stack, Hill, Djerrkura

Out: Barlow

http://www.afl.com.au/teams/tabid/16469/default.aspx

LostDoggy
07-07-2011, 06:09 PM
Not overly impressed with this.
Assuming Hill won 't play and will be one of the emergencies.
DJ's performance probably deserves, but can we afford him for Barlow against Warnock? I can't see them making a straight Barlow - Stack swap due to positions and Hudson/Minson doesn't work

Rocco Jones
07-07-2011, 06:20 PM
Pretty disappointed with the selctions.

I was super impressed with Addison last week for Willy and really think he deserves a crack at a forward defensive role.

Just don't get why they keep on going back to Minson and Hudson. Yes they are clearly the best two ruckmen at the club but that is ignoring what the 2nd ruck role is about. They are a great example of a ruck combo not being worth the sum of their parts. I really feel for Will as he gets the heat of struggling with the 2nd ruck role when in reality, he only has it due to being less limited to Hudson.

SlimPickens
07-07-2011, 06:26 PM
Pretty disappointed with the selctions.

I was super impressed with Addison last week for Willy and really think he deserves a crack at a forward defensive role.

Who would you have set Addison for as a defensive forward? Yarran?

Not overly impressed with the selections assume Will comes in for Barlow, or maybe Stack to play on one of Garlett or Betts?

Rocco Jones
07-07-2011, 06:29 PM
Just realised we can obviously just go in with Jones as our 2nd ruck.

Reid, Markovic, DJ, Stack would be my bench making it IN: DJ, Stack OUT: Barlow, Hooper

GVGjr
07-07-2011, 06:30 PM
In: Minson. Stack, Hill, Djerrkura

Out: Barlow

http://www.afl.com.au/teams/tabid/16469/default.aspx

The in's measure up pretty well against Rocco's and my Williamstown reports except for Christian Howard and probably Roughead.

I guess the small Blues forwards are the reason for Stack and Hill

Rocco Jones
07-07-2011, 06:36 PM
Who would you have set Addison for as a defensive forward? Yarran?

Not overly impressed with the selections assume Will comes in for Barlow, or maybe Stack to play on one of Garlett or Betts?

Yes. I liked DJ's game too tbh but I just really want to see Addison get a crack at it. I think his hands overhead are a valuable defensive forward tool as he provides a target up against an offensively minded opponent.

Not sure about the ruck coming in for Barlow type of thinking. Barlow is tall but he has been playing as a runner/leading HF. His biggest strength by far is his elite running and I would like to see him replaced with another runner/flanker.

the banker
07-07-2011, 06:36 PM
Feel we may go small down back with Stack coming in for Markovic. Minson in for Barlow.

Looking for hard tags on Judd/boyd, Murphy/picken, Gartlett/stack and Betts/morris aqbnd maybe Scotland/cross.

Rocco Jones
07-07-2011, 06:37 PM
The in's measure up pretty well against Rocco's and my Williamstown reports except for Christian Howard and probably Roughead.

I guess the small Blues forwards are the reason for Stack and Hill

Yep. Just thinking about it a bit more I think I was over the top with my disappointed comment. You saw Addison, I really wanted him in. That being said, I actually don't mind DJ getting another go.

Remi Moses
07-07-2011, 06:46 PM
Would have thought Addison would come in instead of Hill.
Hill offers no pressure and the sought of game he doesn't get a kick in (half decent opponent)
Would have thought Roughy would come in,he's a better forward option than Minson.
Not the first time we've been puzzled by selections!

Murphy'sLore
07-07-2011, 06:51 PM
Let's hope it's one of those weeks when we're pleasantly surprised by how well it works out.

bornadog
08-07-2011, 12:37 AM
Feel we may go small down back with Stack coming in for Markovic. Minson in for Barlow.

Looking for hard tags on Judd/boyd, Murphy/picken, Gartlett/stack and Betts/morris aqbnd maybe Scotland/cross.

I doubt we would drop Marcovic as it would leave us short on talls in the backline.

Go_Dogs
08-07-2011, 12:38 AM
Not blown away by what seems some fairly conservative selections. Howard and Tutt are 2 I'd like to see playing, and from reports Libba was solid in the VFL too from reports (although Reid perhaps prevents this).

If Stack/Hill play is this the last chance? I'm not prepared to write either of them off as I think they can both offer a bit going forward, but they do need to start playing consistent AFL footy soon.

Hotdog60
08-07-2011, 07:31 AM
I wonder if Reid will be the sub again?

He did very well coming in late in the game.

Mofra
08-07-2011, 09:54 AM
He's not agile enough to go with Yarren, and he's the only one worthy of a defensive tag - perhaps Hooper has been earmarked for the role? U18 AA BP.

LostDoggy
08-07-2011, 12:00 PM
He's not agile enough to go with Yarren, and he's the only one worthy of a defensive tag - perhaps Hooper has been earmarked for the role? U18 AA BP.

It took a leap of faith by Rocket to commit to using Higgins as the rebound small , he has had a tough last two years with form and injury and his start to the year was lacklustre to say the least , his switch to the backline has seen him grow in confidence , as a small forward he put to much pressure on himself but in his new role his focus is just on being efficient with the ball and hitting your targets up the ground , last week he capped off a good performance with two goals , after the second a bit of his old bravado and ego came out , a quiet word from Gia and Boyd and he just got on with the job

The reality for Hooper is that he is a hard ball midfielder , I say this based on skill , speed over 20m and agility but his fitness base although he has worked hard is still one good preseason from being at the required level , he will have to work hard to earn his spot , he is in a group of players that can fill several positions , its good for the Club to have depth but that does sometimes mean a player does,nt get a real chance to fulfill their potential , using big Shane Mumford as an example he left Geelong to establish himself as a week in/week out AFL ruckman and is now in the top 8 ruckman in the AFL . Hooper has lifted his fitness to a level where he now has had time in the midfield for Williamstown and ticked all the boxes for Mr German , the future is bright for young Andrew but how he finishes this season and fitness levels after pre-season will determine whether he is shining on the big stage or not

Higgins move to the BP opened the way for Dahlhaus to slot in at FP , on form Dahlhaus and Gia will be our starting FP,s for the foreseeable future , Gia at the moment is doing some good work moving up the ground to high HF to either outbody or outsmart his opponents this does give Hooper a chance to fill a role rotating between FP and BP , Higgins moves forward , Gia moves to high HF , Hooper moves to BP , it really depends on the matchup,s but I really like that tactical rotation

Mofra
08-07-2011, 12:38 PM
^ WD I think you have misunderstood - Hooper was playing FP/High forward last week, no no major restructure would be required for Hooper to play defensive tag on Yarren who has been playing as Carlton's major runnning rebounding defender this year.

Rocco Jones
08-07-2011, 12:45 PM

Does Hooper have the aerobic capacity to stIck with Yarran? I would go with DJ.

stefoid
08-07-2011, 03:37 PM
People underestimate the amount of work Huddo does around stoppages. We really have to prevent Carlton from getting their hands on the pill and the way Huddo throws himself around really helps in that regard.

Ruckman are like wine -- Minson will keep getting a bit better every year - he is our number one ruck successor to Huddo, with roughhead to come in as 2nd ruck/forward when he is good enough.

The problem with the Minson/Hudson combo is that they are too similar and neither is much chop up forward, although nobody can deny that Minson has improved in that are and may continue to do so.

LongWait
08-07-2011, 05:27 PM
It's hard to make a case for both Hudson and Minson in the one side I agree.

If Jones continues to impress in the Leigh Brown role as second ruckman, or Roughead consistently performs and demands a senior game, then we should never play Minson and Hudson together. Minson will be our number one ruckman soon enough - he has to be patient.

divvydan
08-07-2011, 05:35 PM
Final team is Hill in for Barlow; Minson, Stack and DJ are the emergencies.

Bench is Reid, Hill, Markovic, Hooper

Cyberdoggie
08-07-2011, 05:48 PM

Oh Dear.

LostDoggy
08-07-2011, 06:07 PM
Well Hill better pretend like he wants to be there. He's gone from one of my favorites a few years ago to pretty much the opposite.

LostDoggy
08-07-2011, 06:22 PM
Oh Dear.

Why the worry? For 1 player thats most likely will be the sub. We lost a runner in Barlow and put one in. He might not be much but could easily replicate what Barlow gave us last week.

chef
08-07-2011, 06:24 PM

Hope Josh realises this is probably his last chance to show he really wants to play for the Dogs. I don't mind this change.

Rocco Jones
08-07-2011, 06:25 PM
Why the worry? For 1 player thats most likely will be the sub. We lost a runner in Barlow and put one in. He might not be much but could easily replicate what Barlow gave us last week.

That's my line of thinking. Hopefully the sub rule suits Hill, surely he can show some desperation if only for a quarter.

I understand him coming in. His type really suits us. Like I said a few weeks ago about being like the girlfriend taking back her crappy boyfriend, this is his last, last chance.

comrade
08-07-2011, 06:28 PM
That's my line of thinking. Hopefully the sub rule suits Hill, surely he can show some desperation if only for a quarter.

I understand him coming in. His type really suits us. Like I said a few weeks ago about being like the girlfriend taking back her crappy boyfriend, this is his last, last chance.

"He only cheats on me because he loves me so much" :D

Rocco Jones
08-07-2011, 06:33 PM
"He only cheats on me because he loves me so much" :D

If Hilll has a poor guy on Sunday, he is going to going to face the rath of a woman scorned x 30k + all the non-members who seem to have a bigger emotional investment then anyone via the Western Bulldogs facebook group.

Greystache
08-07-2011, 06:48 PM
I was pretty underwhelmed by the extended squad, but as others have said, the final squad is a fringe running player out for a fringe running player in. No concerns there.

Cyberdoggie
08-07-2011, 06:51 PM

I'm sure he'll probably pull a couple of good games out again but to be honest i'm done with him. He's not going to all of a sudden be the player we want him to be all the time. I've been burned too many times I think with Hill, i just can't see him being the player he was when he was taking contested marks all over the ground.

LostDoggy
08-07-2011, 09:07 PM
Pleased to see Marko retained. Thought he added some solidarity in defence last week.

Jasper
08-07-2011, 09:30 PM
The ins for the squad would be my least favourite players, Hill - doesn't have a go, don't really want to see him play again.

Stack and Djerkurra are not my favourites either.

Given I have to host a corporate box full of Carlton supporters this game, I am kind of relieved Djerkurra and Stack aren't in. I doubt I would be able to maintain a calm facade...Hill will no doubt be testing enough. I hope I am wrong and Hill is BOG. Hill as a hard fwd tag on Yarran with instructions to kick it on Yarran's head??

BulldogBelle
09-07-2011, 09:20 PM
Pleased to see Marko retained. Thought he added some solidarity in defence last week.

With Lake's calf injury he should be a possibility for a quite a few more games this season.

Rocco Jones
09-07-2011, 09:32 PM
Went to the Willy game and it was further vindication for not playing Will as a 2nd ruck.

Hudson, Minson and Hall simply cannot fit in the same side. I really think Jones with his lead up style suits our 2nd ruck needs the best atm.

LostDoggy
09-07-2011, 09:38 PM
Plenty of Biff about the Tigers/Dons game. Started with Vickery hitting a nasty looking (but soft impact) elbow on the qtr time siren. This got Ryder in his face, who ended up with a few (torn) jumper punches

Jake 'Milkshake' Melksham then got into Griggs grill, all of this happened half a metre from the camera, ch10 got some great footage!

Rocco Jones
09-07-2011, 09:44 PM
Plenty of Biff about the Tigers/Dons game. Started with Vickery hitting a nasty looking (but soft impact) elbow on the qtr time siren. This got Ryder in his face, who ended up with a few (torn) jumper punches

Jake 'Milkshake' Melksham then got into Griggs grill, all of this happened half a metre from the camera, ch10 got some great footage!

Did you click on Round 16 teams when you actually wanted Round 16 discussion? :)

LostDoggy
09-07-2011, 09:55 PM
Did you click on Round 16 teams when you actually wanted Round 16 discussion? :)

Hahaha yeah. Woops. Was wondering why you were on about Williamstown ;)

LostDoggy
09-07-2011, 10:51 PM
Oh Dear.

Why 'oh dear' ? reid deserves to be in there every day of the week.

bornadog
09-07-2011, 11:32 PM
Why 'oh dear' ? reid deserves to be in there every day of the week.

I took that as "Oh Dear" Hill in.