PDA

View Full Version : Round 16 Discussion

The Coon Dog
08-07-2011, 09:37 PM
Gee, how good do West Coast look? Kicked about 7 in a row against Geelong & looking impressive!

LostDoggy
08-07-2011, 09:44 PM
Always goin to be a danger game. Some guys at work were looking to put money on Geelong, all day i was trying to explain to them that some games you just don't touch. Not that I thought WC would win but it was just one of those "Dirty, do anything type of games" now look.

1eyedog
08-07-2011, 10:15 PM
Gee, how good do West Coast look? Kicked about 7 in a row against Geelong & looking impressive!

I agree and how unsure do Geelong look coming out of their back half? If you put any team under the pump over the large part of a quarter you are going to create turnovers and scoring opportunities.

I hope we pile it on Carlton on Sunday.

Desipura
08-07-2011, 10:18 PM

How quickly can a teams fortunes turn around?
Last year WCE skills were poor, this year their skills are great. No major list changes to their personnel either.

LostDoggy
08-07-2011, 10:30 PM
I changed my tip to Geelong late today...

LostDoggy
08-07-2011, 10:49 PM
Game on now.

comrade
08-07-2011, 11:25 PM
Collingwood will destroy Geelong if they meet in September. The only way the Pies aren't winning this year's flag in an absolute canter is if the AFL decides to play the GF in Perth, and even then they'd flog the Eagles.

LostDoggy
08-07-2011, 11:27 PM
Last year WCE skills were poor, this year their skills are great. No major list changes to their personnel either.

Early wins & confidence sky high, can do wonders for a team.

LostDoggy
08-07-2011, 11:30 PM
Early wins & confidence sky high, can do wonders for a team.

The polar opposite of this post is also true.
Late losses and low confidence can be disasterous for a team.

Remi Moses
08-07-2011, 11:59 PM
Geelong got punished on the counter(like last week)
Everyone had Woosha sacked and laughed when he said they'll win a flag( me included)
Geelong forward line looked dysfunctional, Pies are miles ahead for mine.
Helps having a full fit list with the senior players rejuvenated (take note when even contemplating trading Brian Lake)

immortalmike
09-07-2011, 01:00 AM
Tipped the Sheagles by 10 points earlier this week. Geelong looked vulnerable last week and I see it continued.

I've got a feeling the upsets aren't over this week also, Richmond and (hopefully) us are in with a shot also.

chef
09-07-2011, 07:27 AM

No, but a fit Cox, Glass and Kerr has made a huge difference. Plus Darling has added another dimension to there forward one and allowed Kennedy to have less attention and only have one opponent.

Hotdog60
09-07-2011, 08:47 AM
No, but a fit Cox, Glass and Kerr has made a huge difference. Plus Darling has added another dimension to there forward one and allowed Kennedy to have less attention and only have one opponent.

I tipped WC, just thought at home they would be a chance. The only one in my tipping comp to do so.:)

LostDoggy
09-07-2011, 08:54 AM
I tipped them too. Not that I thought they'd win but I thought there could be a chance and I need to snag some upsets to get back in the game.
I think they were lucky to win in the end Geelong were peppering the goals late, and I think the umpires were a bit over the place (from the little I saw).
There were also a few of Cox's ruck contests that were a little questionable, maybe some holds that could have been given as free kicks. Or at least they have been being paid this year.

bornadog
09-07-2011, 10:15 AM

Thats because they played the kids over the past two years and now they are coming along.

Desipura
09-07-2011, 10:56 AM
Thats because they played the kids over the past two years and now they are coming along.

Hmmm interesting. So you mean they discarded those like Seaby and Spangher who was not part of their long term future?

Desipura
09-07-2011, 11:03 AM
Wow, that's what I am hoping we do, as we have a history of holding onto some players for a year too long. o ;)

LostDoggy
09-07-2011, 02:18 PM
If we tanked for 5 years and took as much advantage of the afl drug policy then we could be as good as WC.

Topdog
09-07-2011, 06:09 PM
If we go back 2 years we were better than this current WC team. WC have been awful for 3 years now the AFL is designed that they should be pretty good by now.

LostDoggy
09-07-2011, 08:56 PM
(As I accidently posted in Rd16 teams not Rd16 Discussion thought id re-post here)

Plenty of Biff about the Tigers/Dons game. Started with Vickery hitting a nasty looking (but soft impact) elbow on the qtr time siren. This got Ryder in his face, who ended up with a few (torn) jumper punches

Jake 'Milkshake' Melksham then got into Griggs grill, all of this happened half a metre from the camera, ch10 got some great footage

LostDoggy
09-07-2011, 09:56 PM

Worsfold is a genius ive said it before ill say it again he knew exactly what he was doing

Topdog
09-07-2011, 10:40 PM
I don't understand this Essendon team. I really just have no idea. I defend them and they lose 5 in a row, I give up on them and then start winning.

LostDoggy
09-07-2011, 11:03 PM
Says more about the Tigers than Essendon. A 60 pt turn around after a 100+ defeat. They are crap.

Remi Moses
10-07-2011, 01:53 AM
Might have a look at Punt Rd End. They'll have every man and his dog sacked!
Unbelievable turn around pretty hard to explain!

Topdog
10-07-2011, 12:47 PM
Says more about the Tigers than Essendon. A 60 pt turn around after a 100+ defeat. They are crap.

It says a heck of a lot about Richmond. Conceding 10 goals in a row when you are up by 20 points is disgraceful.

aker39
10-07-2011, 02:44 PM
Norths % is going to take a pounding today.

LostDoggy
10-07-2011, 02:50 PM
Why do North talk so much crap before these big games? Always a sure sign they will get thrashed.

Topdog
10-07-2011, 02:51 PM
Norths % is going to take a pounding today.

Surely that was known before the match started :D

aker39
10-07-2011, 02:56 PM
Why do North talk so much crap before these big games? Always a sure sign they will get thrashed.

I wasn't happy about seeing the article about Gia

mjp
10-07-2011, 02:57 PM
Worsfold is a genius ive said it before ill say it again he knew exactly what he was doing

Are you being serious or sarcastic?

LostDoggy
10-07-2011, 03:21 PM
I wasn't happy about seeing the article about Gia

It's a bit of a mosz but hardly north's 'we must beat a top 4 side'

Mantis
10-07-2011, 03:34 PM
Can we put a contract out to rough up our former recruiter/ coach who decided it was a good idea to trade Bruce Reid?

Ben & Sam Reid would like ok in our team at present.

GVGjr
10-07-2011, 03:38 PM
A was a big fan of getting Sam Reid to the club. I certainly think we missed a good opportunity to add a KPP.

AndrewP6
10-07-2011, 03:51 PM
A was a big fan of getting Sam Reid to the club. I certainly think we missed a good opportunity to add a KPP.

Imagine having two Sam Reid's! :)

LostDoggy
10-07-2011, 09:56 PM

Wish his Dad played an extra 14 games.

Greystache
10-07-2011, 09:58 PM

He did, just not for us which makes it even harder to take!

GVGjr
10-07-2011, 09:59 PM

It may not have made a difference.

We could have used our 2nd round pick on him (Tutt) but didn't.

westdog54
10-07-2011, 10:16 PM
Just had a look at the ladder.

I can't ever remember having a team have a percentage of 180 this far into the season.

Collingwood is downright scary this year.

westdog54
10-07-2011, 10:18 PM
I don't understand this Essendon team. I really just have no idea. I defend them and they lose 5 in a row, I give up on them and then start winning.

Can you give up on us until Mid-October?;)

bulldogsman
10-07-2011, 11:15 PM

Same here, I didn't think he would even be around come our 2nd pick. Surprised we overlooked him.

LostDoggy
10-07-2011, 11:40 PM
Hate the Eagles. Can't bloody stand em. But they are most certainly legitimate challengers. Will destroy a lot of hearts come September.

Topdog
10-07-2011, 11:51 PM
Hate the Eagles. Can't bloody stand em. But they are most certainly legitimate challengers. Will destroy a lot of hearts come September.

Won't come close to winning a game at the G.

Greystache
10-07-2011, 11:53 PM
If the useless Tigers hadn't folded like a cheap tent in the last quarter and a bit we'd be in the 8 tonight.

LostDoggy
11-07-2011, 09:09 AM
Won't come close to winning a game at the G.

I'll bet you a slab of your choice that they do.

Topdog
11-07-2011, 09:49 AM
keep it simple, Coopers Pale Ale?

LostDoggy
11-07-2011, 11:19 AM

You're on. Bet: They have to come within 2 goals of winning a game at the MCG. Wager: One slab of Cooper's Pale Ale.

Topdog
11-07-2011, 02:42 PM
Cool, consider it done. I'll up it to 15 points (thats what bookies do so it seems fairer somehow.) 15 and under you win.

westdog54
11-07-2011, 07:09 PM
I'll bet you a slab of your choice that they do.

You're on. Bet: They have to come within 2 goals of winning a game at the MCG. Wager: One slab of Cooper's Pale Ale.

Cool, consider it done. I'll up it to 15 points (thats what bookies do so it seems fairer somehow.) 15 and under you win.

I can't remember the last time I saw a bet between posters on this forum.

Bookmarked.

Greystache
11-07-2011, 08:11 PM
I can't remember the last time I saw a bet between posters on this forum.

Bookmarked.

What did I have to do with it? :)

Bulldog Revolution
11-07-2011, 09:14 PM

Its certainly looking that way, and its done nothing to harm your reputation as a recruiter

westdog54
11-07-2011, 10:30 PM
What did I have to do with it? :)

Not quite sure, went a bit nuts with the multiquote button.

Edited now.

LostDoggy
13-07-2011, 03:35 PM
Are you being serious or sarcastic?

Completely serious .

mjp
13-07-2011, 04:17 PM
Completely serious .

OK.

Can you please explain then - how is coming last in the year of a compromised (heavily compromised) draft, causing a dramatic fall in revenue for your footy club and its stakeholders evidence of genius? I am legitimately interested.

He barely - barely - held onto his job at the end of last year and if it hadn't been for the revenue issues he almost certainly would have gone...

LostDoggy
13-07-2011, 06:16 PM
OK.

Can you please explain then - how is coming last in the year of a compromised (heavily compromised) draft, causing a dramatic fall in revenue for your footy club and its stakeholders evidence of genius? I am legitimately interested.

He barely - barely - held onto his job at the end of last year and if it hadn't been for the revenue issues he almost certainly would have gone...

Ah, dear, innocent mjp, you underestimate Worsfold's fox-like intellect...

http://stephengreensted.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/a-cunning-plan.jpg

1eyedog
13-07-2011, 08:48 PM
Ah, dear, innocent mjp, you underestimate Worsfold's fox-like intellect...

http://stephengreensted.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/a-cunning-plan.jpg

Not far off the mark if you ask me. It wasn't by choice that he dropped the bundle last year, he attempted to implement a game plan based on what the the Pies and St. Kilda were doing with minor tweaks to suit the limitations of the players he had to work with. I don't think the players implemented the game plan to the satisfaction of the coaching staff. It's unfortunate that he bottomed out in a compromised draft, but it appears now that there was a very well conceived plan put in place last year that was subject to short term pain but long term gain.

It's all about success at football clubs, everything else comes second. You have to admire the way they are playing, regardless of your feelings for them. Who else gets the kudos for such a dramatic turn around if not Worsfold?

mjp
14-07-2011, 04:38 PM
Not far off the mark if you ask me. It wasn't by choice that he dropped the bundle last year, he attempted to implement a game plan based on what the the Pies and St. Kilda were doing with minor tweaks to suit the limitations of the players he had to work with. I don't think the players implemented the game plan to the satisfaction of the coaching staff. It's unfortunate that he bottomed out in a compromised draft, but it appears now that there was a very well conceived plan put in place last year that was subject to short term pain but long term gain.

It's all about success at football clubs, everything else comes second. You have to admire the way they are playing, regardless of your feelings for them. Who else gets the kudos for such a dramatic turn around if not Worsfold?

Wellllllll.....I cry BS.

What 'well conceived plan'? Unless the plan was 'wait for everyone to get fit (Kerr, Cox, Embley, Butler etc) and pray that things turned around. My feelings for WCE are pretty common knowledge however these days I deal with them on a weekly basis and have mellowed (a lot). I just struggle with the whole notion that Worsfold was a goat who should be sacked 12-months ago yet now everything that happened was all part of the plan???

It is just like Rocket making successful changes to our gameplan just as Cooney is fit and running and Higgins is back getting a kick.

comrade
15-07-2011, 07:32 AM
It is just like Rocket making successful changes to our gameplan just as Cooney is fit and running and Higgins is back getting a kick.

I agree with the Cooney bit. Is it any wonder we struggled for the first 10 weeks with Cooney, Hall and Lake all hampered by injury? Get 2 of them back and we suddenly look like finalists.

Eade did make the decision to put Higgins into the backline so that was a strategic move which has worked.

Desipura
15-07-2011, 08:34 AM
I agree with the Cooney bit. Is it any wonder we struggled for the first 10 weeks with Cooney, Hall and Lake all hampered by injury? Get 2 of them back and we suddenly look like finalists.

Eade did make the decision to put Higgins into the backline so that was a strategic move which has worked.

You forget to mention that Eade & the MC brought in Barlow, Dalhaus & Hooper which appears to have renergised the team.

1eyedog
15-07-2011, 04:19 PM
Wellllllll.....I cry BS.

What 'well conceived plan'? Unless the plan was 'wait for everyone to get fit (Kerr, Cox, Embley, Butler etc) and pray that things turned around. My feelings for WCE are pretty common knowledge however these days I deal with them on a weekly basis and have mellowed (a lot). I just struggle with the whole notion that Worsfold was a goat who should be sacked 12-months ago yet now everything that happened was all part of the plan???

Kerr and Cox fit is certainly a big help, but Embley has been playing out of form for 2 years. Worsfold has come out publicly and said they were working on their version of the press so of course I wouldn't think this is BS? Why would I?

Can you tell me if it was insiders at the club calling for Woosha's head 12 months ago? Probably some those notorious sections of the media having a go because they were a basket case last year. That the Eagles finished on the bottom of the ladder last year and the Woosha is still head coach goes some way to telling me that they knew the deal.

So you're saying that the coach really has little to do with constructing and implementing the game plan and that it is exclusively dependent on the fitness of players that he can put on the park that governs this? This is almost rhetorical so please don't answer because I can't believe anyone would say this.

I don't know, I assess what I hear and draw an assumption, you're at the coal face so I'll take your premise as a given.

Topdog
10-09-2011, 05:21 PM

Goal after the siren but I'll take it.