PDA

View Full Version : Round #17 Match Committee

GVGjr
10-07-2011, 12:04 PM
If you were on the Match Committee who would the likely ins and outs for the round 17 away game against the North Melbourne Kangaroos next Sunday?

Nuggety Back Pocket
10-07-2011, 09:25 PM
If you were on the Match Committee who would the likely ins and outs for the round 17 away game against the North Melbourne Kangaroos next Sunday?

With such a great win you wouldn't want to make too many changes. Liberatore for Reid would be worthy of consideration.

BulldogBelle
10-07-2011, 09:35 PM
Hill didnt get much of a chance today, but I think Barlow offers more as an outside runner than Hill. His height and versatility is a bonus that Hill doesnt offer

Reid also may be skating on thin ice..couldnt really get into the game today. Would like to see what Addison can offer this week in Reid's place as a defensive forward and rotating through the midfield. Addison's form at Williamstown since returning from injury has been reasonable.

Topdog
10-07-2011, 09:47 PM
Think Barlow will miss 2 or 3 with the hand injury Dog House.

LostDoggy
10-07-2011, 09:55 PM
Hill didnt get much of a chance today, but I think Barlow offers more as an outside runner than Hill. His height and versatility is a bonus that Hill doesnt offer

Reid also may be skating on thin ice..could really get into the game today. Would like to see what Addison can offer this week in Reid's place as a defensive forward and rotating through the midfield. Addison's form at Williamstown since returning from injury has been reasonable.

I like the reasoning but maybe Libba or Ves instead of Barlow

BulldogBelle
10-07-2011, 09:56 PM
Think Barlow will miss 2 or 3 with the hand injury Dog House.

OK

Thought I read somewhere he had a small operation to his dislocated finger to stabalise it and was expect to only miss one week...

LostDoggy
10-07-2011, 09:57 PM
OK

Thought I read somewhere he had a small operation to his dislocated finger to stabalise it and was expect to only miss one week...
He had a massive bandage last night at the Willy game.

LostDoggy
10-07-2011, 09:58 PM
Still not sold on Hooper, but he did work himself into the game more.

Could be safe again this week.

Rance Fan
10-07-2011, 10:11 PM

Kicked two goal..ran, chased and pressured! Hooper was fine.

Grant didnt do enough for mine

In
Vez, Addison

Out
Grant, Hill

LostDoggy
10-07-2011, 10:14 PM
Kicked two goal..ran, chased and pressured! Hooper was fine.

Grant didnt do enough for mine

In
Vez, Addison

Out
Grant, Hill

Agree on Grant, was very poor again tonight.

Hopefully Hooper keeps on improving.

1eyedog
10-07-2011, 10:17 PM
Why would an established player come in as a sub, play one quarter and then get dropped? Fair dinkum bring a sub in like Zeph and give them a taste but why stuff around with all these ins and outs each week. Swap Hill for Reid as sub for next week and leave the team as is to settle and to also validate cusp players by showing that we have faith in them.

No change until Barlow is right giving us a few weeks to assess Hooper, Reid, Hill et al.

stefoid
10-07-2011, 10:24 PM
Huddo was immense today - the master of the doubletap to himself and clearance.

Grant never seems to be in the right place, but saw more of it in the second half. The thing that gives me hope is that when he does get in a contest for the ball, he is good. Just got to be in the right place more often.

AndrewP6
10-07-2011, 10:31 PM
Why would an established player come in as a sub, play one quarter and then get dropped? Fair dinkum bring a sub in like Zeph and give them a taste but why stuff around with all these ins and outs each week. Swap Hill for Reid as sub for next week and leave the team as is to settle and to also validate cusp players by showing that we have faith in them.

No change until Barlow is right giving us a few weeks to assess Hooper, Reid, Hill et al.

Because some have little faith in Hill, and he doesn't do much to give it to us.

GVGjr
10-07-2011, 10:39 PM
Grant was very disappointing so I wonder if he needs another reminder to keep his intensity and work rate up?

The Bulldogs Bite
10-07-2011, 10:43 PM
Grant was very disappointing so I wonder if he needs another reminder to keep his intensity and work rate up?

I thought he was OK when given an opportunity. The problem is, he doesn't know where to run to find the ball. He probably doesn't work hard enough (eg. multiple leads) either. I'd still keep him in though. He looks down on confidence.

Hill would be the only player I'd drop. Veszpremi is due for a game.

I thought Reid was solid. May not have found the ball but was tough IMO.

Jasper
10-07-2011, 10:50 PM
Out Hill - my view is he never should have been in.
Out Reid - seems to struggle

In - Vezpremi found some form in the twos and its time he was given a chance
In - Libba

Not sold on Hooper but probably/maybe did enough to stay, still reckon he looks too slow for a player his size. Grant was ok in patches, his handballs were ordinary..he needs to work on this.

1eyedog
10-07-2011, 10:50 PM
Because some have little faith in Hill, and he doesn't do much to give it to us.

The MC do and right or wrong I would be appalled to see him dropped for next week unless Barlow, Lake or Hargrave come in which is unlikely. Posters whinge about these cusp players not doing enough, last week a number of us were defending Hooper against the mob, he was very ordinary against the Dees but really turned it around tonight. If the MC are committed to these players they have to leave them in for an extended period because it's not going to happen over 2-3 games.

I don't think Hill is a good sub, I think he needs to read the play over a period of time rather than adapt ad hoc as a sub. I think he could be a dangerous player for us again and is just terribly down on confidence.

AndrewP6
10-07-2011, 11:04 PM
The MC do and right or wrong I would be appalled to see him dropped for next week unless Barlow, Lake or Hargrave come in which is unlikely. Posters whinge about these cusp players not doing enough, last week a number of us were defending Hooper against the mob, he was very ordinary against the Dees but really turned it around tonight. If the MC are committed to these players they have to leave them in for an extended period because it's not going to happen over 2-3 games.

I don't think Hill is a good sub, I think he needs to read the play over a period of time rather than adapt ad hoc as a sub. I think he could be a dangerous player for us again and is just terribly down on confidence.

I get what you're saying, but Hill has had more than 2-3 games, he's been there for four years. For mine, doesn't do enough, often enough.

LostDoggy
10-07-2011, 11:07 PM
I get what you're saying, but Hill has had more than 2-3 games, he's been there for four years. For mine, doesn't do enough, often enough.

I am not sure what has happened to Josh, but he has definitely showed us all he can play AFL footy.

He has dropped off a fair bit since 2009, which was by far his best season for the club, where he kicked 30+ goals.

westbulldog
10-07-2011, 11:08 PM
Out - Hill - how did he get back in the frst place ?
In - Libba

comment - did anyone notice Panos' pinpoint kicking in the foxtel cup ? what has his form been like at Willi ?

bornadog
10-07-2011, 11:11 PM
Out - Hill - how did he get back in the frst place ?
In - Libba

comment - did anyone notice Panos' pinpoint kicking in the foxtel cup ? what has his form been like at Willi ?

I thought Hill was ok when he came on, impacted immediately and picked up 9 disposals.

Out Reid - very poor

In: Libba.

1eyedog
10-07-2011, 11:18 PM
I am not sure what has happened to Josh, but he has definitely showed us all he can play AFL footy.

He has dropped off a fair bit since 2009, which was by far his best season for the club, where he kicked 30+ goals.

He seems to be terribly out of form. In all fairness he hasn't had much of a run this season either because of it but I think he deserves a few weeks in the side. He was good at times last year.

LostDoggy
10-07-2011, 11:39 PM
Hooper easily gets outbodied, spoiled and doesn't have much leg speed for a small guy.

I'd like to see Libba come in for him and Hill out for Barlow or Lake (if he is ready)

bornadog
10-07-2011, 11:47 PM
Hooper easily gets outbodied, spoiled and doesn't have much leg speed for a small guy.

I'd like to see Libba come in for him and Hill out for Barlow or Lake (if he is ready)

Happy with Reid's four disposals?

G-Mo77
10-07-2011, 11:52 PM
Happy with Reid's four disposals?

If Hooper got subbed at half time he would have had 0.:o

Not sure on Reid. Couldn't seem to get into it today, I'd still like to give him another go than yo yo him. He would be the one under the pump though.

Can't see any changes for next week, again matchups will probably decide the fate of one or a couple of players.

LostDoggy
11-07-2011, 12:04 AM

Hooper is more than strong enough and is in the top 4 in the Club for speed over 20m

Barlow is injured ( recovering from a finger operation ) , Lake isn,t ready for a recall yet

Libba, Wallis , Tutt , Addison and DJ will be in the mix if a change is considered for Reid and Hill

Maddog37
11-07-2011, 12:23 AM
Not sure anyone was outstanding for the four qtrs for Willy. Vez, Minno, Addison all good in spots as was DJ.

Changes for match ups only.

LostDoggy
11-07-2011, 12:29 AM
Hooper is more than strong enough and is in the top 4 in the Club for speed over 20m

Barlow is injured ( recovering from a finger operation ) , Lake isn,t ready for a recall yet

Libba, Wallis , Tutt will be in the mix if a change is considered for Reid and Hill

Yes ive always read on here that he does well in the clubs speed tests. but i have not seen any of this speed in his 2 games. he seems as fast as Cross...

and he never once showed his strength.

i don't mind him, but I do think Libba would offer more throughout 4 qtrs

LostDoggy
11-07-2011, 12:37 AM
Hill just divides supporters. My problem with him is he has no physical presence and will always lose the contest if the opponent is desperate enough. Not good traits to have in tough games when everyone needs to pull their weight.
On the positive side, I thought Hill turned up to play tonight. Probably appreciative of Rocket giving him another go when many thought his card was stamped. He ran hard, got lots of ball, made good position and read the ball well. Some very good signs.
The challenge Hill has though, is that even if he can rediscover his 2009 form, it may not be good enough in the current era when pressure from everyone is a core requirement. Hill needs to get back to his running, leaping, marking, goal-kicking best and there were signs tonight but if he wants a long career, he really needs to add some physical pressure to his game.

Topdog
11-07-2011, 01:09 AM

I said last week that we should keep Hooper because it is pointless to bring someone in for 1 match and then drop them. Big difference though is that Hooper is a 2nd gamer, Hill is a fairly established player.

FrediKanoute
11-07-2011, 01:20 AM
No change for me unless injuries or obvious match ups dictate that change is requird.

Just on a few guys being queried:

Hooper & Reid - both were in the side predominantly to do jobs on the Crlton running backmen. Anything they created themselves is a bonus. I thought Hooper did a great job, exactly what we need up there. Reid though not as prolific, was still involved in a couple of good froward moves and his hard at it attack on the footy and smarts at knowing how to get to a contest. Woulds be interested to know his blocks, shepherds and tackle count.

Grant - not a great day, but then there were very few forwards on the ground who didn't struggle.

AndrewP6
11-07-2011, 01:47 AM
Reid though not as prolific, was still involved in a couple of good froward moves and his hard at it attack on the footy and smarts at knowing how to get to a contest. Woulds be interested to know his blocks, shepherds and tackle count.

Not sure on blocks or shepherds, but he had just 2 tackles.

LostDoggy
11-07-2011, 01:56 AM
Hill just divides supporters. My problem with him is he has no physical presence and will always lose the contest if the opponent is desperate enough. Not good traits to have in tough games when everyone needs to pull their weight.
On the positive side, I thought Hill turned up to play tonight. Probably appreciative of Rocket giving him another go when many thought his card was stamped. He ran hard, got lots of ball, made good position and read the ball well. Some very good signs.
The challenge Hill has though, is that even if he can rediscover his 2009 form, it may not be good enough in the current era when pressure from everyone is a core requirement. Hill needs to get back to his running, leaping, marking, goal-kicking best and there were signs tonight but if he wants a long career, he really needs to add some physical pressure to his game.

Yes he did but why does he have to be kicked in the googles before he bothers to show? He only plays well when he is down on confidence because everytime he gets confident he gets arrogant, lazy and has no respect for the jumper or his team-mates. I don't care what he did or didn't do tonight..

Hill - out and traded whilst he has currency
Grant - out
Howard - in
Libba - in

Rocco Jones
11-07-2011, 02:03 AM
I love Reid but I really don't think he offers us enough. Really struggles with the pace and rigours of AFL footy and not sure we can just carry his as a sub.

I didn't like Hill's game attack on the footy while at the game but having a look at the stats and my pre-conceptions I was probably too harsh. He deserves another crack. Last, last, last chance.

I am going to sound very unromantic but I think Hooper should be a borderline out. It's hard. On one hand he doesn't get near it for too long but on the other he does the right team things and has that knack of kicking gimme goals. Who knows, maybe I am romantic, one more week for mine but definitely was not a huge fan of his game tonight. Cult hero wise though I love him.

So...

IN- Libba
OUT- Reid

Dry Rot
11-07-2011, 02:19 AM
I love Reid but I really don't think he offers us enough. Really struggles with the pace and rigours of AFL footy and not sure we can just carry his as a sub.

I didn't like Hill's game attack on the footy while at the game but having a look at the stats and my pre-conceptions I was probably too harsh. He deserves another crack. Last, last, last chance.

I am going to sound very unromantic but I think Hooper should be a borderline out. It's hard. On one hand he doesn't get near it for too long but on the other he does the right team things and has that knack of kicking gimme goals. Who knows, maybe I am romantic, one more week for mine but definitely was not a huge fan of his game tonight. Cult hero wise though I love him.

So...

IN- Libba
OUT- Reid

Living hundreds of clicks away, I don't get to see Willi.

Some are calling for the return of Addison - what's your view?

Rocco Jones
11-07-2011, 02:28 AM
Living hundreds of clicks away, I don't get to see Willi.

Some are calling for the return of Addison - what's your view?

Have you checked the state league board? I am a big Addison fanboy there. I just think he is battling for a defensive/small forward role with Hooper and it would be too harsh to drop Chunk after tonight. Just.

Dry Rot
11-07-2011, 02:46 AM
Have you checked the state league board? I am a big Addison fanboy there. I just think he is battling for a defensive/small forward role with Hooper and it would be too harsh to drop Chunk after tonight. Just.

OK, thanks.

Would you replace Reid with him?

Ghost Dog
11-07-2011, 05:14 AM
No change for me unless injuries or obvious match ups dictate that change is requird.

Just on a few guys being queried:

Hooper & Reid - both were in the side predominantly to do jobs on the Crlton running backmen. Anything they created themselves is a bonus. I thought Hooper did a great job, exactly what we need up there. Reid though not as prolific, was still involved in a couple of good froward moves and his hard at it attack on the footy and smarts at knowing how to get to a contest. Woulds be interested to know his blocks, shepherds and tackle count.

Grant - not a great day, but then there were very few forwards on the ground who didn't struggle.

Hoops didn't touch it in the first half. Almost subbed off, IIRC from the press conf. Did well to get back into it. Come on hoops!!

chef
11-07-2011, 08:02 AM
No change for me. No one from Willi really stood out to me to be included and I like the look of this team ATM.

LostDoggy
11-07-2011, 09:04 AM
I am going to sound very unromantic but I think Hooper should be a borderline out. It's hard. On one hand he doesn't get near it for too long but on the other he does the right team things and has that knack of kicking gimme goals.
Totally agree. I don't understand the love Hooper gets. He didn't get a stat the first half (not even a tackle). He improved in the second, chased harder/pressured more and got some gift goals. Even Rocket acknowledged this.

I'll be dropping him before Grant.

The Underdog
11-07-2011, 09:21 AM
Obviously the 3 who are on the fringe are Reid, Hill and Hooper. Gilbee did just enough to keep his spot. Hooper also did enough in the 2nd half to earn a game although it might be as a sub. Hill possibly should get a (last?) chance to start in the 21. Reid is a tough one. I'd be tempted to send him back to Willy and give Addison a shot again.
While Grant wasn't fantastic I still like the structure of the forward line with him in it.

bornadog
11-07-2011, 09:30 AM
Obviously the 3 who are on the fringe are Reid, Hill and Hooper. Gilbee did just enough to keep his spot. Hooper also did enough in the 2nd half to earn a game although it might be as a sub. Hill possibly should get a (last?) chance to start in the 21. Reid is a tough one. I'd be tempted to send him back to Willy and give Addison a shot again.
While Grant wasn't fantastic I still like the structure of the forward line with him in it.

I like the forward structure with Hooper in it as well. He may not have racked up the possessions, but along with Dalhaus, we now have two little guys plus Grant and Jones that can chase hard and pressure the opposition. Big Barry has also taken the pressure off Jones who now doesn't have to cope with the best backman.

The forward six of Hall, Jones, Hooper, Grant, Dalhaus and Gia is looking good.

LostDoggy
11-07-2011, 09:41 AM
Addison for a Grant/Reid. Probably Grant as Reid came on as a sub last week and i'd like to see him start for at least two weeks.

Gove Hill another week. Can't drop blokes after they come into the team as a sub and get on late in the game.

1eyedog
11-07-2011, 11:03 AM
I said last week that we should keep Hooper because it is pointless to bring someone in for 1 match and then drop them. Big difference though is that Hooper is a 2nd gamer, Hill is a fairly established player.

Look that's fair enough and I agree with you and can see AndrewP6's point with Hill. If we bring him in as a sub and he plays one quarter of football and then we drop him what is that telling him? It makeas me question why he was picked to be honest and if he is dropped it seems that we have a very unstable MC who are overly reactive. My other issue is what does this tell the player. If Hill is dropped for next week it seems it is truly goodbye for him. I think he needs a few weeks in the team to give him the opportunity to turn things around.

I personally think Libba offers us more than Reid but am happy for Reid to get another go.

LostDoggy
11-07-2011, 11:17 AM
Hill is a none contact player in the era of contact and pressure. Not only that but he butchers the ball. It was strange to see him selected and his performance showed how strange it was. Poor selection when Addison has been going well. I know we need some run and carry players but this guy is not that. Work rate is sad and in a contest may as well not be there. Chris Grant please ring the club and get that line through his name put back.

I would like to see Vez play as Sub this week and if Reid is unfit then bring in Libba. If he is fit leave him in and Sub at three quarter time. Stats are not everything and Reid does a lot of work of the ball.

Mantis
11-07-2011, 11:28 AM
If Hill had kicked that goal he would have been hailed as the 'Super Sub'.

I thought Josh was ok, he took 2 or 3 marks from opposition kicks and found space when we required someone to do so... His laconic style gives us all the shits, but he really wasn't that bad.

Players under the pump would be Reid who just looks to be a player without a role in our side at present, he is an inside midfielder, but he just can't squeeze into the rotations and probably doesn't have enough outside game to play elsewhere. Hooper saved his butt with a good 3rd qtr, but he was terrible early on and while he will probably hold his spot he needs to do more. Grant was poor too, but his intensity was ok, I think it will click for him pretty shortly if he keeps doing the little things well.

Vez, Stack & Addison would be the players who would be looked at for this weeks game.

Ozza
11-07-2011, 11:36 AM
Out would be Reid - not sure what his role is supposed to be - and if he is going to line up in the forward line - then I'd much prefer to get Veszpremi in.

North Melbourne quite often pick a pretty tall side - so I was hoping Lake might be ready for this week. Doesn't appear to quite be in the frame yet. Would have loved for him to be just thrown in there and spending some time on Petrie. Although if Williams brings the confidence and intensity he had against Carlton - into this week - he'll be fine on Petrie.

1eyedog
11-07-2011, 11:41 AM
Out would be Reid - not sure what his role is supposed to be - and if he is going to line up in the forward line - then I'd much prefer to get Veszpremi in.

North Melbourne quite often pick a pretty tall side - so I was hoping Lake might be ready for this week. Doesn't appear to quite be in the frame yet. Would have loved for him to be just thrown in there and spending some time on Petrie. Although if Williams brings the confidence and intensity he had against Carlton - into this week - he'll be fine on Petrie.

He will, but if he doesn't and that is highly possible Petrie will tear him a new one. Petrie is a different proposition than a half-baked Waite who struggled to run and didn't train all week. I will never forget him kicking six on us in a quarter a few years back.

Bulldog Joe
11-07-2011, 12:05 PM
Yes ive always read on here that he does well in the clubs speed tests. but i have not seen any of this speed in his 2 games. he seems as fast as Cross...and he never once showed his strength.

i don't mind him, but I do think Libba would offer more throughout 4 qtrs

So what were you watching for Hooper's goal from the goal square when Dalhaus kicked it over him to back his pace against his Carlton opponent in the 3rd qtr.

Bulldog Joe
11-07-2011, 12:08 PM

Clearly Reid had a role to defend Yarran. I actually thought it was comical at times that Reid was sticking close to Yarran who was trying to stick with Dahlhaus.

Despite Reid's lack of possession, I thought it worked pretty well for us as Yarran did not provide a lot of run and carry as he has done for Carlton this year.

Bulldog Joe
11-07-2011, 12:12 PM

I would be using Williams at CHB regardless of the opponent. I expect Petrie to be more FF and happy for Markovic to be his match up.
Petrie is a good mark but not really a fast leading forward. Markovic seems to be able to do enough in the body contests to put those players off.

If our forwards and mids exert enough defensive pressure, we should be able to prevent the precise delivery that finds any defender out.

G-Mo77
11-07-2011, 12:15 PM
If Hill had kicked that goal he would have been hailed as the 'Super Sub'.

I thought Josh was ok, he took 2 or 3 marks from opposition kicks and found space when we required someone to do so... His laconic style gives us all the shits, but he really wasn't that bad.

I thought that to Mantis. There was one if he did not intercept a kick it would have been hard to stop Carlton from scoring. He came up with some very crucial plays in limited time. His spoil across goal in the 3rd almost cost us though although he may not have had another option. I'll have to check the replay.

Sockeye Salmon
11-07-2011, 12:26 PM
So what were you watching for Hooper's goal from the goal square when Dalhaus kicked it over him to back his pace against his Carlton opponent in the 3rd qtr.

He hardly burnt his opponent off with speed, stealth yes, but not speed. His opponent was in a different postcode.

Greystache
11-07-2011, 01:42 PM
Out-Reid
In- Libba

Although I'd be happy to see Vez given a game.

always right
11-07-2011, 02:02 PM
I thought that to Mantis. There was one if he did not intercept a kick it would have been hard to stop Carlton from scoring. He came up with some very crucial plays in limited time. His spoil across goal in the 3rd almost cost us though although he may not have had another option. I'll have to check the replay.

I felt some sympathy for Hill. He was trying to get involved but made some poor decisions;

- Twice flew for marks when he should have stayed down. In one instance we had two on one and he spoilt Jones.
- Went back to intercept a Carlton kick forward and spoilt when he could have marked. I blame his team mate for not calling him back into the space.
- Missed a goal when he ran too close to the man on the mark.
- An errant handball under pressure almost went down the other end for a goal.

I had the impression he was almost trying too hard (in his typical laconic style). Really down on confidence which doesn't suit someone playing a substitute role.

Sockeye Salmon
11-07-2011, 02:40 PM
I felt some sympathy for Hill. He was trying to get involved but made some poor decisions;

- Twice flew for marks when he should have stayed down. In one instance we had two on one and he spoilt Jones.
- Went back to intercept a Carlton kick forward and spoilt when he could have marked. I blame his team mate for not calling him back into the space.

I had the impression he was almost trying too hard (in his typical laconic style). Really down on confidence which doesn't suit someone playing a substitute role.

He panicked on that one big time. Hot potato, hot potato.

LostDoggy
11-07-2011, 03:26 PM

All that adds up to not good enough

He is a liability when it's "game on"

bornadog
11-07-2011, 03:40 PM

I can pick out faults with lots of players and list them like this and you wouldn't have anyone playing;)

stefoid
11-07-2011, 03:55 PM

Beautiful kick that one.

On hill, I used to be a Hill fan believing that his pros outweighed his cons, but I dont believe that any more.

I reckon we have better options currently playing or coming through.

Ozza
11-07-2011, 03:58 PM
Clearly Reid had a role to defend Yarran. I actually thought it was comical at times that Reid was sticking close to Yarran who was trying to stick with Dahlhaus.

Despite Reid's lack of possession, I thought it worked pretty well for us as Yarran did not provide a lot of run and carry as he has done for Carlton this year.

Reid may have taken Yarran for a few minutes here and there when Daulhaus was off - but Yarran was largely Daulhaus responsibility for the day.

stefoid
11-07-2011, 05:19 PM
I would be using Williams at CHB regardless of the opponent. I expect Petrie to be more FF and happy for Markovic to be his match up.
Petrie is a good mark but not really a fast leading forward. Markovic seems to be able to do enough in the body contests to put those players off.

If our forwards and mids exert enough defensive pressure, we should be able to prevent the precise delivery that finds any defender out.

You make a good point. Williams playing close to goal marking a dangerous opponent means he will be purely reactive and one mistake = goal.

Whereas if he has freedom to run around a bit he can attack the ball and give us some run.

Happy Days
11-07-2011, 06:38 PM

Petrie can beat pretty much anyone one on one, but as soon as there's a third man up in the contest, he's cooked 99% of the time. (See the St. Kilda game).

The Roos don't kick it to anyone else, so if we play a man behind the ball we will win this game easily.

Hotdog60
11-07-2011, 09:27 PM
I'm a big Libba fan and would like to see him in, it maybe just my impression but Libba looked a little battle worn in the Foxtel cup. It is his first season and has reached great heights but I just wonder if competing against hard bodies are taking a little bit of a toll.

Just wondering if we need to tread lightly. If people think I'm wrong because I don't see any Willi games unless on TV in QLD which is never except for the Foxtel Cup I'll go with the flow.

Dazza
11-07-2011, 09:33 PM
Nope you are correct. He looks like he's struggling to run games out.

Addison or Vez for Reid would be my change.

With Addison you know what you are going to get and if given a role forward to shut down his opponent and apply pressure you'd expect him to do it and do it well. He can also pop up with some marks and goals too.

Vez probably is the more dangerous forward of the 2. Not convinced of his tank to run out a game though. He played very well in the foxtel cup and pressured well all game. Wouldn't be against having him in the side.

1eyedog
11-07-2011, 10:34 PM
Nope you are correct. He looks like he's struggling to run games out.

Addison or Vez for Reid would be my change.

With Addison you know what you are going to get and if given a role forward to shut down his opponent and apply pressure you'd expect him to do it and do it well. He can also pop up with some marks and goals too.

Vez probably is the more dangerous forward of the 2. Not convinced of his tank to run out a game though. He played very well in the foxtel cup and pressured well all game. Wouldn't be against having him in the side.

Sub?

w3design
11-07-2011, 11:12 PM
Barlow if fit for hill thats the only change

LostDoggy
11-07-2011, 11:32 PM
Vez probably a more dangerous forward than Addison. Not convinced of his tank to run out a game though. He played very well in the foxtel cup and pressured well all game. Wouldn't be against having him in the side.

Vez as the Sub?

The Sub has to have a big enough tank to cover an early injury , you don,t want someone who covers a 1st quarter injury and by the end of the 3rd they need a Ventolin, black coffee and a push start

For Veszpremi to get in the team he has to replace Grant who despite having a few flaws gives us leg speed , so young Patrick will have to have a much sharper set of tools to make his way into the 22

Even though Hooper has taken the zone small forward role , Addison could play a role as Sub by being a wide midfield rotation, he has worked on his overhead marking and our current game plan is based on hitting marking targets so he fits the bill against North Melbourne

Dry Rot
12-07-2011, 12:16 AM
How do Willi watchers rate Vez's defensive pressure?

LostDoggy
12-07-2011, 12:20 AM
No change.

Or if a change is made I'd link Vez for Hill.

This weekend is a danger game for us. NM will be firing after their horrid performance against the scum.

Rocco Jones
12-07-2011, 12:20 AM
How do Willi watchers rate Vez's defensive pressure?

Not too bad. I also think his tank isn't that bad either. My main issue with him is his lack of exceleration, which is vital in modern footy. I think it puts pressure on his tank/work rate/defensive pressure to be more than OK.

LostDoggy
12-07-2011, 12:43 AM
Vez or Barlow maybe.

Doc26
12-07-2011, 12:53 AM
Can't agree on the calls for Vez. He's currently both slow and with little endurance at the top level which would damage our developing press. Unfortunately the opposition would exploit this deficiency.

Rocco Jones
12-07-2011, 02:32 AM
Can't agree on the calls for Vez. He's currently both slow and with little endurance at the top level which would damage our developing press. Unfortunately the opposition would exploit this deficiency.

I think you're being a tad harsh but I ultimately agree.

East Perth are a very poor side.

the banker
12-07-2011, 08:34 AM
Vez doesn't offer what we need ATM IMO. Explosive speed and tackling pressure in the forward 50 are the attributes. Reid although struggling has more potential in these areas. Vez looks more a lead up forward who is a good converter.

No change for me, except if Barlow was right. In for Hill.

LostDoggy
12-07-2011, 09:44 AM
Vez doesn't offer what we need ATM IMO. Explosive speed and tackling pressure in the forward 50 are the attributes. Reid although struggling has more potential in these areas. Vez looks more a lead up forward who is a good converter.

No change for me, except if Barlow was right. In for Hill.

I would be happy with that. One thing that annoys me a little is there are people calling for Reid and Hooper when they are the blokes that have helped turn this team around in recent weeks. Sure little possessions but the amount of sheppards, blocks, running hard to space and just generally following the game plan has been a breath of fresh air for me. Senior players may not use them as much as they should but it has been good. Unfortunately Hill annoys me for the exact opposite reasons.

1eyedog
12-07-2011, 10:57 AM

Well it's unlikely he's going to get any faster. Higgins and Gia are slugs but they have a decent skill set as well as smarts. Does Vez have smarts and what are his skills like?

Doc26
12-07-2011, 11:32 AM
Well it's unlikely he's going to get any faster. Higgins and Gia are slugs but they have a decent skill set as well as smarts. Does Vez have smarts and what are his skills like?

Gia may be slow but his endurance has stood up over the years and his ability to find space is exceptional. I'm not questioning Vez's skill level, to the contrary, I just fear adding Vez into the mix at this stage would change the balance of our forward line which looks better structured to play to the modern game.

I'm not at all writing Vez off, which is why I deliberately added the word 'currently', I just feel he's body is not ready. I heard interesting commentary on the weekend that did talk to players being able to build on their speed and endurance. There were many games in 2009 where I looked at Luke Ball and felt his body was a spent force and yet I look at him under a different regime and see a lot of good football left in him.

There may well be similarities with Vez to Shaun with both working through or managing groin related injuries. I'm hoping that with Vez. his endurance and speed can be improved given time and effective management of his body.

BulldogBelle
12-07-2011, 12:27 PM
Its important we get a couple of games into this likes of Vez, Reid, Minson, Addison, Libba and Hill at this stage of the season given our hopeful finals campaign...and they are used to playing at AFL intensity

The players from 22-26 will prove important come finals time especially if injuries / fatigue / suspensions etc hit our best 22...

Mantis
12-07-2011, 12:28 PM
Not too bad. I also think his tank isn't that bad either. My main issue with him is his lack of exceleration, which is vital in modern footy. I think it puts pressure on his tank/work rate/defensive pressure to be more than OK.

Heaven help this country of ours if they are letting our kids be educated by your good self. :D

I hope you aren't teaching English.

1eyedog
12-07-2011, 01:13 PM
Gia may be slow but his endurance has stood up over the years and his ability to find space is exceptional. I'm not questioning Vez's skill level, to the contrary, I just fear adding Vez into the mix at this stage would change the balance of our forward line which looks better structured to play to the modern game. I'm not at all writing Vez off, which is why I deliberately added the word 'currently', I just feel he's body is not ready. I heard interesting commentary on the weekend that did talk to players being able to build on their speed and endurance. There were many games in 2009 where I looked at Luke Ball and felt his body was a spent force and yet I look at him under a different regime and see a lot of good football left in him.

There may well be similarities with Vez to Shaun with both working through or managing groin related injuries. I'm hoping that with Vez. his endurance and speed can be improved given time and effective management of his body.

I agree with most of this although the bolded section of your post is disconcerting. I doubt whether he can add any significant pace to be honest but he can certainly work on his constitution as well as his strength. Which will also assist with his body standing up to the rigours of the modern game. His body seems a bit suspect to me. A few preseasons will assist with this. My problem is that if he is slow he will need to have some tricks, the ability to find space, turn players inside out, read the ball through the air better than his opponent etc and if he is to play forward he will need to be a competent finisher to have any chance of getting a regular run in the modern game.

Mofra
12-07-2011, 01:21 PM
I agree with most of this although the bolded section of your post is disconcerting. I doubt whether he can add any significant pace to be honest but he can certainly work on his constitution as well as his strength. Which will also assist with his body standing up to the rigours of the modern game. His body seems a bit suspect to me. A few preseasons will assist with this. My problem is that if he is slow he will need to have some tricks, the ability to find space, turn players inside out, read the ball through the air better than his opponent etc and if he is to play forward he will need to be a competent finisher to have any chance of getting a regular run in the modern game.
Sounds like he has the physical constraints of Gia - perhaps not quite as slow, but with much less endurance and versatility.

Before I Die
12-07-2011, 01:35 PM

Hasn't he had 4 or 5 preseasons at Sydney?

1eyedog
12-07-2011, 02:28 PM
Hasn't he had 4 or 5 preseasons at Sydney?

Three and one of those was injury riddled. I am concerned that his body is not up to it more than anything which has been more of a hidrance than anything else and has limited his development in terms of what one might expect from a first round pick.

LostDoggy
12-07-2011, 10:56 PM
Just finished watching "what's your decision". If that idiot #15 umpire is on the ground again this week then North will be playing with 23. Cannot believe Gieschen is defending those aweful 50 meter decisions (except Tommy's). What a load of twat - too much game changing impact for sweet f-all by the player in each game. Starting to rank the yellow-jackets and the filth side-by-side......

aker39
12-07-2011, 11:16 PM

Just watched Rockets press conference. He said that they were considering subbing Hopper at 1/2 time, but he improved a lot in the 2nd half.

ledge
12-07-2011, 11:29 PM
Just watched Rockets press conference. He said that they were considering subbing Hopper at 1/2 time, but he improved a lot in the 2nd half.

Wierd because at the end of game interview he said he was rapt with his pressure in the first half.:confused:

LostDoggy
13-07-2011, 01:40 AM
Wierd because at the end of game interview he said he was rapt with his pressure in the first half.:confused:

That may be true, but 0 possessions is probably a greater reason to want to sub someone. even if their pressure has been good

Mantis
13-07-2011, 09:11 AM

In his press conference he said he was disappointed with Hooper's first half, but said his pressure was better in the second half and he got a few touches.

bornadog
14-07-2011, 02:39 PM
Hall left training early today and may be in doubt.