PDA

View Full Version : Boomer Harvey

LostDoggy
12-07-2011, 02:43 PM
Boomer Harvey looks like he will miss with a broken thumb!

http://au.sports.yahoo.com/afl/news/article/-/9826993/boomer-thumb-fears/

That defiantly helps. In a game where they need leaders to show the way after last week.

Picken would have almost certaintly gone to Harvey, so if he is out who would Picken play on? Wells?

always right
12-07-2011, 02:55 PM
Boomer Harvey looks like he will miss with a broken thumb!

http://au.sports.yahoo.com/afl/news/article/-/9826993/boomer-thumb-fears/

That defiantly helps. In a game where they need leaders to show the way after last week.

Picken would have almost certaintly gone to Harvey, so if he is out who would Picken play on? Wells?

If Harvey doesn't play, Picken has to go to Wells. I reckon Picken's style would really upset Wells. The look on his face as Picken walks towards him would be similar to the look on Eddie Bett's face when he saw Morris coming his way.:D

DragzLS1
12-07-2011, 03:03 PM
lol cant wait for this weekend! now only for adelaide to beat essondon which I reckon might happen

Desipura
12-07-2011, 03:14 PM
Who is going to do the diving now?

Mantis
12-07-2011, 03:24 PM
lol cant wait for this weekend! now only for adelaide to beat essondon which I reckon might happen

This site is better than this silly comment.

While it will make our job easier that a good player is missing I'm not sure we should laughing about it.

Maddog37
12-07-2011, 03:26 PM

While it will make our job easier that a good player is missing I'm not sure we should laughing about it.

Take a chill pill Mantis. Humour has its place and everyone has a different sense of it. All is good.

Mantis
12-07-2011, 03:29 PM
Take a chill pill Mantis. Humour has its place and everyone has a different sense of it. All is good.

I must have missed the chapter in my comedy book that said we should "Lol'ing" at someone like this.

LostDoggy
12-07-2011, 03:39 PM
Who is going to do the diving now?

He he, my first thought too!! :D

Maddog37
12-07-2011, 04:09 PM
I must have missed the chapter in my comedy book that said we should "Lol'ing" at someone like this.

My point is that just because you don't think it is funny doesn't preclude everyone else from laughing at it.

I don't tend to enjoy seeing other players hurt either (unless it is a Saints player) but it is not anyones job to be the humour police last time I looked.

1eyedog
12-07-2011, 04:18 PM
Boomer's been a champion for that club, gee I wish he was in red, white and blue. I personally make it a habit to never boo a champ regardless of what colour they are wearing.

LostDoggy
12-07-2011, 04:36 PM
Let's not underestimate North. Let's not do what Carlton just did on Sunday.

DragzLS1
12-07-2011, 04:49 PM

For starters I was lol'ing in our chances at beating north (as in our luck keeps getting better and I cant believe our luck) not as in lol'ing at Harvey! I actually enjoy watching Harvey play and would have loved to watch picken tag him and go at it because it would have been a good contest. Now does that clear up what I was lol'ing about? and yes I believe adelaide will beat essendon which will put us in the top 8! is that a bad thing?

DragzLS1
12-07-2011, 05:03 PM
Let's not underestimate North. Let's not do what Carlton just did on Sunday.

Good point just because they dont have harvey doesnt mean they are going to be any easier or harder.

If i recall a few weeks back hawthorne didnt have franklin and they smashed bombers by 60 odd points with a spread of goal kickers. So even though they dont have 1 of there leaders/guns playing it is still a danger game. If we play like we did against carlton we should be able to take on any team other then collingwood (although we would give them a good run for there money).

1eyedog
12-07-2011, 05:08 PM
For starters I was lol'ing in our chances at beating north (as in our luck keeps getting better and I cant believe our luck) not as in lol'ing at Harvey! I actually enjoy watching Harvey play and would have loved to watch picken tag him and go at it because it would have been a good contest. Now does that clear up what I was lol'ing about? and yes I believe adelaide will beat essendon which will put us in the top 8! is that a bad thing?

Would have been a good match up. Harvey was one of his first scalps.

Remi Moses
12-07-2011, 05:11 PM
Settle Down this is getting like The Norf Big Footy Board.
Good for us he's out, but let's check the milestone board at Norf before we get carried away!
They tend to grow 10 ft when there's a milestone.

Desipura
12-07-2011, 05:16 PM
Thats true, get the thumbs up from me :D

Remi Moses
12-07-2011, 05:20 PM
If Harvey doesn't play, Picken has to go to Wells. I reckon Picken's style would really upset Wells. The look on his face as Picken walks towards him would be similar to the look on Eddie Bett's face when he saw Morris coming his way.:D

Wells and Swallow are the big two for mine.
Picken has to go to Wells, they'll go head to head with Swallow.
Pressure on those North backs as the kicking out of there is awful.

Ghost Dog
12-07-2011, 05:40 PM
I hope we don't treat this as an easy game. Hope to see the same effort as last week, regardless of opposition.

Rocco Jones
12-07-2011, 06:03 PM
I'm with Mantis.

I am all for being confident about your team and actually wish our fans had more of it. I don't find laughing/enjoying a star opponent being out as confident, I find it cringeworthy. Don't get me wrong, I prefer Boomer missing than playing but I won't gloat in the fact.

DragzLS1
12-07-2011, 06:12 PM
I'm with Mantis.

I am all for being confident about your team and actually wish our fans had more of it. I don't find laughing/enjoying a star opponent being out as confident, I find it cringeworthy. Don't get me wrong, I prefer Boomer missing than playing but I won't gloat in the fact.

I didnt mean to make it look like im laughing at him or the fact hes not playing I tend to lol alot showing im in a good mood. I agree that laughing at players is not right and thats definately what i was not doing although when I read my post it does look like I am.

Anyway hope its a good game although on our fom I am confident. But you never know I still have that little bit of doubt in the back of my mind with or without Harvey.

We need to win this game otherwise we just make things harder for ourselves.. I will be there with my first cousin who happens to be a big north supporter.

chef
12-07-2011, 06:47 PM

And Sydney to beat Freo.

ledge
12-07-2011, 07:25 PM
Okay so poor old DragzLS1 has copped a bit of flack here, how about I hope Lindsay Thomas plays, alright so he kicked a heap against us in the last practice match but boy is the kid in a bad way form wise at the moment.

JohnGentStand
12-07-2011, 07:39 PM
The look on his face as Picken walks towards him would be similar to the look on Eddie Bett's face when he saw Morris coming his way.:D[/QUOTE] this:D
All week i have been spouting off 'bout eddie's face when #38 walks up!

There seems to be a lot of bleeding hearts on this forum!
Harvey out is a huge plus for us & I for one wont miss his Greg Louganis efforts 1 bit ;)

Topdog
12-07-2011, 10:17 PM
I laughed when I read the title but in a "huzzah" kind of way. Harvey burns us every time we play. Last 3 games against us he as averaged 27.6 disposals.

Doc26
12-07-2011, 10:46 PM
If Harvey doesn't play, Picken has to go to Wells. I reckon Picken's style would really upset Wells. The look on his face as Picken walks towards him would be similar to the look on Eddie Bett's face when he saw Morris coming his way

The look on Deledio's face as Liam approaches him ......Priceless

I didnt mean to make it look like im laughing at him or the fact hes not playing I tend to lol alot showing im in a good mood. I agree that laughing at players is not right and thats definately what i was not doing although when I read my post it does look like I am.

DragzLS1, make it three apologies and all will be forgiven, LOL.

Boomer out will be a bonus if it eventuates enhancing our opportunity to shut down Wells.

LostDoggy
13-07-2011, 03:12 AM
Settle Down this is getting like The Norf Big Footy Board.
Good for us he's out, but let's check the milestone board at Norf before we get carried away!
They tend to grow 10 ft when there's a milestone.

This weeks milestone for Norf is to lose by only 116 points or less

SonofScray
13-07-2011, 09:52 AM
Glad he is out, he usually gets up and about against us. Don't like the way he plays, don't like North Melbourne at all so anything that makes life harder for them is great in my books. May there be more of it on the back of a decent thumping that we give out to them.

The Coon Dog
13-07-2011, 11:01 AM
Glad he is out, he usually gets up and about against us. Don't like the way he plays, don't like North Melbourne at all so anything that makes life harder for them is great in my books. May there be more of it on the back of a decent thumping that we give out to them.

My view too! He's often played well against us.

Ozza
13-07-2011, 12:26 PM
Hopefully Harvey being out helps us toward giving them the pummelling they so richly deserve!!!

1eyedog
13-07-2011, 12:35 PM
North are alright. I prefer them a hell of a lot more than Geelong, Collingwood, Richmond, Essendon, St. Kilda, Carlton and all the interstate teams.

LostDoggy
13-07-2011, 01:21 PM
Boomer is a champ who has always performed against us, so I for one am slightly relieved he's not playing, but I hope no one at the club is thinking this way as we need to keep the momentum going and not let up for a second (not that I think that we would). They aren't that great a team but anyone not taking a game seriously at this level will be exposed.

Stefcep
13-07-2011, 01:43 PM
This is a danger game. make no mistake. We take it easy, and we could find ourselves losing this.

LostDoggy
13-07-2011, 02:53 PM
Admin can you please ban DragzLS1 for a week for the use of "lol" ?

Also please ban the word "lol" and show it as "***" ?

Rocco Jones
13-07-2011, 03:02 PM
Poor Drags, I really wasn't trying to have a go and sorry if I came across as self-righteous. I do get what he and the others were trying to get across once again don't get me wrong I definitely want Harvey to miss, just that I am not up for celebrating it.

LostDoggy
13-07-2011, 03:06 PM
God! Why are people so thinned skinned? If something is posted and can be taken two ways (1. a joke, or 2. offensive) why do people never take it as a joke????
No body wants to see someone get hurt and everyone wants to see the dogs take on the best team an opposition has to offer. Otherwise it could be a shallow victory if there is a win.

I find it a little more offensive that people have this down as a win already. There is a lot of Football in this game.

mjp
13-07-2011, 03:27 PM
This weeks milestone for Norf is to lose by only 116 points or less

Sounds like a goal similar to the one we have vs West Coast in a couple of weeks.

Maddog37
13-07-2011, 03:27 PM
Lmao

mods please ban wb_age for one week for use of lmao.

Should have been rofl. Ok gotta go brb.

Rocco Jones
13-07-2011, 03:28 PM
God! Why are people so thinned skinned? If something is posted and can be taken two ways (1. a joke, or 2. offensive) why do people never take it as a joke????
No body wants to see someone get hurt and everyone wants to see the dogs take on the best team an opposition has to offer. Otherwise it could be a shallow victory if there is a win.

I find it a little more offensive that people have this down as a win already. There is a lot of Football in this game.

I wasn't offended by the joke, just that I don't find players being injured particularly funny. As I said in my post I'm sorry if it came across as having a go.

From my experience the 'hardcore' types who really revel in stuff like this are also the most senstiive if opposition fans do the same. I guess it's that thing of thing I find cringeworthy, the 'ultra' type 'supporting' (hope he breaks a leg etc).

LostDoggy
13-07-2011, 03:36 PM
I wasn't offended by the joke, just that I don't find players being injured particularly funny. As I said in my post I'm sorry if it came across as having a go.

From my experience the 'hardcore' types who really revel in stuff like this are also the most senstiive if opposition fans do the same. I guess it's that thing of thing I find cringeworthy, the 'ultra' type 'supporting' (hope he breaks a leg etc).

That's cool.
I'm not saying you need to find it funny. Just people shoul take things with a little more grain of salt. But I wasn't singling out anyone or anyone topic just an overall statement on this forum.
I more wanted to ram home my other point about people should be more focused on not counting chickens with or without Boomer. I'm more worried about the 'penned' in win than ill directed jokes.

LostDoggy
13-07-2011, 07:49 PM
Sounds like a goal similar to the one we have vs West Coast in a couple of weeks.

That game we need to win by 127 or more :P

ratsmac
13-07-2011, 08:35 PM
I couldn't care less if Boomer plays or not, we should win regardless. We can't get ahead of ourselves but I believe that our best is better than their best.

LostDoggy
13-07-2011, 08:50 PM
I couldn't care less if Boomer plays or not, we should win regardless. We can't get ahead of ourselves but I believe that our best is better than their best.

No question. Our best is probably 40pts better than their best.
But North's best Vs a cocky Dog team could be disastrous.

LostDoggy
14-07-2011, 12:35 PM
No question. Our best is probably 40pts better than their best.
But North's best Vs a cocky Dog team could be disastrous.

I think it's some of the supporters who are cocky, not the team!! ;)

DragzLS1
14-07-2011, 12:53 PM
I will back us for over 40point win but only because we played the way we did, and if we play the way we did against Carlton I don't see why we shouldn't win any of the upcoming games. Let's just hope injuries don't get the better of us. And I don't wish for anybody to break a leg I love the dogs but don't like easy wins against a wounded team, but that's out of my control. We need this win but I definately havnt pencilled it in as I have seen us fold a few times this year so I'm not getting to cocky.

Curly5
14-07-2011, 02:03 PM
Collingwood, Geelong, Hawthorn, WC, Essendon, Sydney and whoever else, just LOVED their easy wins over injury-depleted us, so I will delight in every easy win we can get. We deserve a bit of luck for a change.

Murphy'sLore
14-07-2011, 02:24 PM
Touch wood, Curly, touch wood!

1eyedog
14-07-2011, 06:24 PM
Boomer in Thomas out

bornadog
21-07-2015, 03:29 PM
Playing his 400th game this week. Big achievement from one of the shortest players in the AFL.

1eyedog
21-07-2015, 04:15 PM
Great player well done. Let's hope our mosquito fleet can replicate his output.

Sedat
21-07-2015, 04:40 PM
Best sheepdog to ever play the game.

Jokes aside, mighty effort and he's been a champion of the modern game. Torn us a new one on too many occasions to mention (pre-Picken days of course ;))

bornadog
21-07-2015, 05:03 PM

Jokes aside, mighty effort and he's been a champion of the modern game. Torn us a new one on too many occasions to mention (pre-Picken days of course ;))

I remember a game where he was knocked out, I think in the first quarter, and I thought great we can do without him killing us again. Guess what he came back on and killed us again.

Mantis
21-07-2015, 05:13 PM
Break a leg.. Literally!

Ozza
21-07-2015, 05:21 PM
400 games, yeah probably a fair effort, but only 2 career hit outs......................

bornadog
21-07-2015, 05:22 PM
the 400 club:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CKapp3cUMAEI08B.jpg:large

jazzadogs
21-07-2015, 06:01 PM
Was Michael Tuck well liked? I ask because KB, Boomer and Fletcher have all had their share of detractors so I wonder if it is just due to the fact that they've been around so long, everybody has time to develop hateful memories?

Well done to him though, I guess.

Twodogs
21-07-2015, 06:25 PM
Is it the first surname to have two 400 gamers?

westdog54
21-07-2015, 06:29 PM
Am I missing something here?

Twodogs
21-07-2015, 07:37 PM
I remember a game where he was knocked out, I think in the first quarter, and I thought great we can do without him killing us again. Guess what he came back on and killed us again.

Ran the length off the ground and kicked a girl. It wasn't fair. We knocked him out but he didn't seem to under stand that was it for the day. How many times do we have to knock him down?

whythelongface
21-07-2015, 08:01 PM
Don't like him as a player but a kudos to him for reaching this milestone.

Remi Moses
21-07-2015, 08:23 PM
Was Michael Tuck well liked? I ask because KB, Boomer and Fletcher have all had their share of detractors so I wonder if it is just due to the fact that they've been around so long, everybody has time to develop hateful memories?

Well done to him though, I guess.
Great footballer Tucky, and if anything underrated .
Built like a stick, but was as tough as nails .

Rocco Jones
21-07-2015, 09:23 PM

Pretty much exactly what I was gonna say!

ratsmac
22-07-2015, 09:55 PM
Congrats to the little piss-ant! Super effort.

Still one of norfs best players which is their biggest problem.

SonofScray
23-07-2015, 09:27 AM
Heard him give The Great Man and Johnno a wrap when reflecting on his Big V experience, so I dislike him less now. Is still a rat, just not a @#$%ing rat and at best, a champion rat.

Mofra
23-07-2015, 10:15 AM
Heard him give The Great Man and Johnno a wrap when reflecting on his Big V experience, so I dislike him less now. Is still a rat, just not a @#$%ing rat and at best, a champion rat.
I always give him the benefit of the doubt given he trained with Hunter & Hrovat pre-draft to give them a taste of what AFL training expectations are. Showed class.

Axe Man
23-07-2015, 03:19 PM
Could Boomer walk out on North Melbourne? (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-07-23/could-boomer-walk-out-on-north)

TWO can play the game North Melbourne has chosen to start with its ageing superstar Brent Harvey.

Harvey can play it, too.

If it's good enough for North to publicly speculate on a 2016 season without him, then Harvey would be within his rights to actively consider the same thing.

Even at the of age 38, which he will turn next May, Harvey would be a person of interest to several other clubs.

Alastair Clarkson and the Hawks seriously asked him the question three seasons ago, and would almost certainly do so again at the end of 2015 if the landscape at North was still blurred.

Adam Simpson, a former long-time teammate of Harvey, would also contemplate asking if he'd like to be part of an exciting team, and to roam the forward line packs that would be split open by Josh Kennedy, Nic Naitanui and Jack Darling.

Luke Beveridge would probably be keen to see if there was any interest in a player still averaging 24 disposals in his 20th season of football if indeed he would like to be a Bulldog in his 21st.

Leon Cameron would probably drool at having access to Harvey, and have fantasies of him working beneath the aerial work of Jeremy Cameron, Cam McCarthy and Jon Patton.

It has been strange to watch North Melbourne coach Brad Scott's words surrounding Harvey as the veteran prepares for his 400th match this weekend.

Scott has returned from his four-match absence for back surgery in a determined state, and has offered no guarantees about the future to Harvey.

Scott has every right to say what he wants about any of his players, and his observations have come only after media questioning.

But in his six years as North coach, he has never before been so publicly open about any of his players.

Harvey doesn't deserve the scrutiny.

Sure, he's not Luke Hodge when it comes to displaying the defensive side of football. He will default to assuming an attacking position at stoppages, even when the defensive requirements are at a premium.

He's slowed down a little bit. His kicking is not as precise nor as penetrating as it once was. Contested possessions don't come as frequently as they once did.

But sometimes in footy, the rules that apply to all need to be overlooked for a certain individual, particularly when that individual's body of work is as sound as anyone's to ever represent a club.

It would be debated, but one could mount a very strong case that Harvey is North Melbourne's second greatest player, behind only Wayne Carey.

After a match against Geelong two weeks ago in which Harvey was used as the Roos' sub, Scott said: "Whilst being the sub wasn't a punishment, he needed to know that if he's not going to listen to my words, he might listen to my actions."

On that night, Scott went on to say that "I'm all about evidence, and if he provides the evidence, then he should go on (into 2016)".

This week, he said: "If he's playing really well, his body holds up and he's playing his role for the team, then there's every chance that he plays on. But if he's not able to do that for whatever reason then we'll do the best thing by the club."

It is becoming borderline disrespectful to Harvey to have his future questioned, given the on-field problems he may be causing right now could not possibly be in Scott's top 15 most pressing issues in this, to date, underwhelming and disappointing home-and-away season.

If Scott is prepared to publicly question Harvey's form and therefore his future, then we can expect him to him offer similar thoughts on other North players, including Ryan Bastinac, Jarrad Waite, Aaron Black, Robbie Tarrant, Shaun Atley and others.

Harvey has knocked back several massive offers throughout his time as a one-club player, and North now owes it to him to provide an opportunity to break Michael Tuck's all-time games record of 426.

Providing an opportunity is different to gifting it. Harvey would still be required to earn his place.

Scott has every right to actually axe Harvey from his senior team.

But Harvey doesn't need nor deserve to have his own club publicly and privately questioning whether it will actually allow him the right to be on the Roos' list in 2016.

If Harvey was to reach Tuck's record, it would actually be a club milestone as much as a personal one. Just as it was for Essendon when Dustin Fletcher recently reached game 400.

If the Bombers applied to Fletcher the logic that North is attaching to Harvey, then Fletcher would have been told to retire at the end of 2013, let alone last year. In 20 years time when people reflect on Fletcher's achievement, no one is going to focus on the fact he seriously struggled to get to 400. Credit to the Bombers.

There is nothing more for North to know about Harvey, who is in significantly better condition than Fletcher, and nothing for it to lose if it was to immediately announce publicly that Harvey will be a part of its 2016.

It is one spot on a playing list. One spot without a guarantee to a position in the senior team. One spot which would allow a club great the opportunity to do something no one else in the history of the game has ever managed - reach 427 matches.

Rival clubs wouldn't be able to reach their phones quick enough to offer such a spot if the opportunity presented itself. They will be looking at what Harvey can do at 38, not what he can't do.

Maybe they already have offered it.

LostDoggy
23-07-2015, 03:34 PM
Nah.

Greystache
23-07-2015, 04:31 PM
No thanks, the costs would be prohibitively high. It would cost a fortune to upgrade the locks on 40 player lockers to keep their wallets safe during training.

boydogs
23-07-2015, 07:58 PM
Shaking my head at most of that. No way do "the rules that apply to all need to be overlooked for a certain individual"

Only thing I agree with is he isn't North's biggest problem