PDA

View Full Version : Callan Ward - Staying or going?

Pages : [1] 2

chef
12-07-2011, 07:51 PM
I would love to know everyone's opinion.

To me, he's gone:( I don't know why but I just have the feeling he will take the cash.

ledge
12-07-2011, 08:00 PM
From what I am hearing he wants to stay and the club has upped the ante, according to the papers we would know in 2 weeks 3 weeks ago!
Actually found that a bit funny, if you read the Scully files he has been given until the end of the season to decide because GWS said they arent in a rush??

Another point on Scully according to yesterday he has been offered a million a year too, how big are the coffers and what is GWS salary cap?
I am finding that depending on how a club is going is how the press decides on which player is going from which club.

westdog54
12-07-2011, 08:08 PM
Staying, only because of his ties to the area and his family, something Harbrow didn't have.

LostDoggy
12-07-2011, 08:11 PM
I,ve never spoken to Le Grand Cheveux but he seems like the sort of young fella who feels strongly about family and mateship , I doubt very much he will leave for the money he will feel like he is walking away from family and friends

( Le Grand Cheveux - The Big hair )

ledge
12-07-2011, 08:22 PM
One day I want to see a player come out in the media when they bring up his name and say flat out "you know what I dont care what the other club offers I love this club and I am staying"
The whole football community would respect you for the rest of your life.

Doc26
12-07-2011, 08:32 PM
Another point on Scully according to yesterday he has been offered a million a year too, how big are the coffers and what is GWS salary cap?

I suspect their cap is bottomless. The AFL will provide whatever it takes to build the list Grubby Allan is seeking.

If Scully is being offered $1m per season what would they offer a marquee player like a Pendlebury or Thomas ?

As a Bulldog lifer optimism abounds but gee it's going to take a heavy financial sacrifice to hold young Cal. Hopefully Cal proves to be one of those types where money isn't the primary driver.

The Coon Dog
12-07-2011, 08:41 PM
One day I want to see a player come out in the media when they bring up his name and say flat out "you know what I dont care what the other club offers I love this club and I am staying"
The whole football community would respect you for the rest of your life.

Something like this?

Matthew Kreuzer chooses Blues over cash (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/kreuzer-chooses-blues-over-cash/story-fn5937w8-1226085457619)

I went with staying.

If Cal does go, my love of football will just be that bit less as a result. I love the Bulldogs but not football if that makes sense.

Hotdog60
12-07-2011, 08:48 PM
Something like this?

Matthew Kreuzer chooses Blues over cash (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/kreuzer-chooses-blues-over-cash/story-fn5937w8-1226085457619)

I went with staying.

If Cal does go, my love of football will just be that bit less as a result. I love the Bulldogs but not football if that makes sense.

He's probably got a pension plan from the cheats for 5 mill when he retires

Rocco Jones
12-07-2011, 08:50 PM

I love football and the Bulldogs but I agree with your sentiments.

AndrewP6
12-07-2011, 08:51 PM
I went with 'going', although recent media coverage has given me a bit of hope. After Harbrow took the money, I just have had a bad feeling about this. I know, different circumstances etc...

Hope I'm really, really wrong.

w3design
12-07-2011, 09:05 PM
Something like this?

I went with staying.

I said staying mainly just for this reason, I can't quite bear the alternative. I copped Harbrow's departure with more resignation and acceptance. Cal leaving would sicken me, not the person, the system.

I have heard from 2 different sources close to the family, though, that him staying is a real possibility. What a boost it would be to see those headlines!! :):):)

LongWait
12-07-2011, 09:05 PM
I voted staying - GWS are apparently not confident of getting Ward. Hope my mail is correct!

Maddog37
12-07-2011, 09:08 PM
Longer it goes the worse I feel. Particularly as he seems to be improving every week. His relationship with Rocket is important in the equation as is the potential success of the team.

At least if he continues to play well the Dogs will feel better about upping their offer.

ledge
12-07-2011, 09:12 PM
Something like this?

I went with staying.

Well that was good timing and the writer agreed with my sentiments:)

LostDoggy
12-07-2011, 09:18 PM

I have been like this for some time.

aker39
12-07-2011, 10:31 PM
I got fired up about this topic and rang Finey last week.

The jist of my call was that I was sick and tired of the AFL moving the goal posts. Like them laughing in our face saying it's ok to speak to a contracted player during the season, when it has always been a given that it was not ok.

I also said that I would not blame Callan one bit for taking the money, but the AFL can get stuffed and shove their competition up their arse.

always right
12-07-2011, 11:45 PM
I got fired up about this topic and rang Finey last week.

The jist of my call was that I was sick and tired of the AFL moving the goal posts. Like them laughing in our face saying it's ok to speak to a contracted player during the season, when it has always been a given that it was not ok.

I also said that I would not blame Callan one bit for taking the money, but the AFL can get stuffed and shove their competition up their arse.

I didn't know you were a poet.

SonofScray
13-07-2011, 12:23 AM
Gut feeling says that the offer is too good to refuse and he will go. Hope he doesn't, but it looks like things have been set up to make our job of keeping him very tough.

Dancin' Douggy
13-07-2011, 12:46 AM
Something like this?

I went with staying.

Carlton are cheats. Full stop.
Demetriou lets them cheat.

Can you imagine for one second Wardy being allowed a $1m dollar contract to be an "ambassador" for Smorgon steel?

Kruezer will have a semi trailer full of brown paper bags pulling up in front of his house every day for the rest of his life.

I hate Demetriou. I hate the Blues and I will love Wardy if he stays.

Rocco Jones
13-07-2011, 12:54 AM
Carlton are cheats. Full stop.
Demetriou lets them cheat.

Can you imagine for one second Wardy being allowed a $1m dollar contract to be an "ambassador" for Smorgon steel?

Kruezer will have a semi trailer full of brown paper bags pulling up in front of his house every day for the rest of his life.

I hate Demetriou. I hate the Blues and I will love Wardy if he stays.

It's not a letting Carlton do it over the Bulldogs thing, it's a 3rd party contracts are too hard thing. If we could afford to do the same, the AFL would treat us the same because it's too hard for them.

FrediKanoute
13-07-2011, 02:53 AM
It's not a letting Carlton do it over the Bulldogs thing, it's a 3rd party contracts are too hard thing. If we could afford to do the same, the AFL would treat us the same because it's too hard for them.

Sorry but that is bullsh*t. 3rd party contracts are not too hard, its just that the AFL wont take the bigger clubs on about it because lets face it it is in their interests to allow it.

Everyone submits a tax return. Simply make the tax return a disclosable item for registererd AFL players. the AFL could then easily determine whether the aount of money players are earning is within salary cap or not within salary cap. Outside salary cap, ask the question. If the additional monies are coming from:

a) a sponsor of the club; or
b) the personal wealth of a person connected with the club.

then it is effectively a breach of the salary. The monies are simply being channelled direct to the player as opposed to through the club and onto the player.

I think Wardy will stay. I think the fact that Kruezner has said no and Pendlebury and Thomas are likely to stay, it suggests that GWS are struggling to attract a really big fish and the ripple efect is that lesser players (ie Ward) are less likely to go because money aside where is the incentive? You're playing with a bunch of kids; you're unlikely to play in finals footy for a few seasons; As a senior player (aged 21) you will be expected to shoulder much of the hard work......a smart football adviser would say to Wardy if you were 28 and looking to feather a retirement fund, jump, but at 21 at a club which is a decent chance of making the finals this year and heading back into the top 4 in 2012, stick it out for a couple of years until you are a fee agent and then chase either a premiership or the moola!

Remi Moses
13-07-2011, 03:40 AM
Something like this?

I went with staying.

Been thinking the same thing myself.
The game is inching towards the Premier League, unfortunately!

chef
13-07-2011, 08:07 AM
Sorry but that is bullsh*t. 3rd party contracts are not too hard, its just that the AFL wont take the bigger clubs on about it because lets face it it is in their interests to allow it.

Everyone submits a tax return. Simply make the tax return a disclosable item for registererd AFL players. the AFL could then easily determine whether the aount of money players are earning is within salary cap or not within salary cap. Outside salary cap, ask the question. If the additional monies are coming from:

a) a sponsor of the club; or
b) the personal wealth of a person connected with the club.

then it is effectively a breach of the salary. The monies are simply being channelled direct to the player as opposed to through the club and onto the player.

I think Wardy will stay. I think the fact that Kruezner has said no and Pendlebury and Thomas are likely to stay, it suggests that GWS are struggling to attract a really big fish and the ripple efect is that lesser players (ie Ward) are less likely to go because money aside where is the incentive? You're playing with a bunch of kids; you're unlikely to play in finals footy for a few seasons; As a senior player (aged 21) you will be expected to shoulder much of the hard work......a smart football adviser would say to Wardy if you were 28 and looking to feather a retirement fund, jump, but at 21 at a club which is a decent chance of making the finals this year and heading back into the top 4 in 2012, stick it out for a couple of years until you are a fee agent and then chase either a premiership or the moola!

Ummm............haven't the AFL already gone after Carlton for doing it illegally and they made an example out of them. If we could do it the AFL wouldn't have a problem with it.

the banker
13-07-2011, 09:04 AM
The AFL seem to be condoning third party contracts. Note the HUN on Scully this morning. Judd and now Kreuzer at Carlton.

Ward (Le Grand Cheveux) would make a great Barista Dimma...... (Then there's Wood)

I think he may stay. The attention seems to have lifted his game, confidence and (if possible) his intensity.

cinder
13-07-2011, 09:49 AM
It would be brilliant if he stayed (to put it mildly), a true miracle really. I can personally see tons of reasons why he should stay, but I am biased. The money is ridiculous but hopefully he's smart enough to know money isn't everything. What he has here at the Bulldogs is worth a lot too.

Murphy'sLore
13-07-2011, 09:52 AM
I honestly can't decide how to vote in this poll.

Five million times harder for Callan.

LostDoggy
13-07-2011, 09:54 AM
I voted that he will stay. Just a feeling in my bones.......

always right
13-07-2011, 09:54 AM
I worry that these big names knocking GWS back increases the determination of GWS to land a decent name. If we could somehow manage to retain Callan, it would provide an enormous lift to the club and supporters.

I don't know if I simply watch Ward more closely because of the whole GWS situation but his performances of late have been outstanding. Has taken his game to a different level.

Mantis
13-07-2011, 09:57 AM
I voted going.

As much as I want him to stay I just can't see how he could say no to such an offer.... He would be a better person than I am if he decided to stay, but many will tell you that this doesn't mean much.

Daughter of the West
13-07-2011, 10:13 AM
I voted going.

As much as I want him to stay I just can't see how he could say no to such an offer....

Ditto.

Given how limited the shelf life is of AFL footballers, a smart player would be looking to set himself up for the rest of his days. And not every player can go into the media after they retire. Make hay while the sun shines I guess.

Having said that, I would be ECSTATIC if he decided to stay.

Sockeye Salmon
13-07-2011, 11:01 AM
I am fascinated to see how the AFL react to Scully getting 3rd party payments.

So far the AFL have simply let them through but this time it specifically effects their baby. I half expect them to come out and rule any 3rd party payments to Scully as being a breach of the salary cap.

Doc26
13-07-2011, 12:11 PM

So far the AFL have simply let them through but this time it specifically effects their baby. I half expect them to come out and rule any 3rd party payments to Scully as being a breach of the salary cap.

That of course would be any 3rd party payments made from south of the border.

LostDoggy
13-07-2011, 12:57 PM
I voted going.

As much as I want him to stay I just can't see how he could say no to such an offer.... He would be a better person than I am if he decided to stay, but many will tell you that this doesn't mean much.

At a guess 700k net over the 5 years to live in west sydney with no family and family to play for a side that wont be successful in that 5 years.
Stay and still on a great wage with family and captain of the club in the future and a hero ala Chris Grant forever... no use being the richest man in the cemetery

Bulldog4life
13-07-2011, 01:15 PM
I voted that he'll stay. From my perspective he seems a lot more attached to our Club than Scully to Melbourne. Don't know if this is true but I've heard Scully is very aloof whilst Wardy is more of "one of the boys".
I'm confident that the doggies are working feverishly behind the scenes to eventually make the best offer that they can to Cal by the end of the year. Fingers crossed.

Curly5
13-07-2011, 01:43 PM
I voted that he will stay. Just a feeling in my bones.......

Same here. While money is a big pro, there are a lot of cons which add up. I'd love it if GWS got knocked back by all the young guns they are approaching and ended up with a few past-it hacks like Cornes. It would serve the AFL right.

LostDoggy
13-07-2011, 02:03 PM
I think he'll stay. Just have a feeling that he'll stay with his teammates and family in Melbourne. :)

AndrewP6
13-07-2011, 02:09 PM
I voted that he'll stay. From my perspective he seems a lot more attached to our Club than Scully to Melbourne. Don't know if this is true but I've heard Scully is very aloof whilst Wardy is more of "one of the boys".
I'm confident that the doggies are working feverishly behind the scenes to eventually make the best offer that they can to Cal by the end of the year. Fingers crossed.

I'm not in at the club, but that's not true of Tom as a person. He's quiet, but not to the point of being aloof. More of a Boyd type, dead serious about his job and wants to get the best out of himself. He's a local boy, and last I spoke to him, really enjoying being there.

Desipura
13-07-2011, 02:15 PM
I voted going.

Dont put yourself down........................thats what we are here for :D

1eyedog
13-07-2011, 02:20 PM
At a guess 700k net over the 5 years to live in west sydney with no family and family to play for a side that wont be successful in that 5 years.
Stay and still on a great wage with family and captain of the club in the future and a hero ala Chris Grant forever... no use being the richest man in the cemetery

You would estimate that Callan has 60 years to enjoy it before that point. That much money makes people do strange things.

Nuggety Back Pocket
13-07-2011, 05:50 PM
I voted going.

One of the biggest problems in retaining an absolute future star in Ward is the lack of big investors like Richard Pratt in the manner in which Carlton was able to outbid Collingwood to get Judd. It looks like a group of businessmen are now doing likewise at Melbourne to retain Scully. There is now close to 120 players on some form of marketing agreement in the AFL outside the salary cap. I would imagine that very few of these are with the Bulldogs. We desperately need to keep Callan Ward but it is still problemmatical without a shiney white knight to appear from somewhere.

Ozza
13-07-2011, 05:56 PM
I think he'll stay. If he plays good enough footy over the journey - money will take care of itself.
I know its a stack of cash to knock back - but my feeling (right now) is that he will stay, on the already considerable wage offered by the dogs.

ledge
13-07-2011, 06:17 PM
When do we find out what Wards doing? Press told us 2 weeks, they arent making up stories, surely not, papers only print fact dont they?

The Coon Dog
13-07-2011, 06:20 PM
When do we find out what Wards doing? Press told us 2 weeks, they arent making up stories, surely not, papers only print fact dont they?

If he commits to GWS he can just do as most of the GC signees did last season, announce it when their playing commitments have finished this year.

LostDoggy
13-07-2011, 06:21 PM
His sister was watching the game in a yarraville pub on the weekend and would not be drawn on his future . I would not be surprised though if he honestly does not know what the f#%$ to do at this point . Apparently she had some pretty hilarious things to say though about some other players who would not hit the contest with the same intensity as her brother:D. Sounds like a fun gal to watch the footy with :)

ledge
13-07-2011, 06:28 PM
If he commits to GWS he can just do as most of the GC signees did last season, announce it when their playing commitments have finished this year.

Begs to ask why would he come out and say he only had 2 weeks to make a decision?
That just puts more pressure on the kid.

Curly5
13-07-2011, 06:34 PM
One of the biggest problems in retaining an absolute future star in Ward is the lack of big investors like Richard Pratt in the manner in which Carlton was able to outbid Collingwood to get Judd. It looks like a group of businessmen are now doing likewise at Melbourne to retain Scully. There is now close to 120 players on some form of marketing agreement in the AFL outside the salary cap. I would imagine that very few of these are with the Bulldogs. We desperately need to keep Callan Ward but it is still problemmatical without a shiney white knight to appear from somewhere.

Dimma and your "mystery backer", come on down!

ledge
13-07-2011, 06:38 PM
I have got an idea, lets all us woofers put in 5 grand, the woof white knight society.

chef
13-07-2011, 06:45 PM

Why would he have to live in western Sydney?

WBFC4EVER
13-07-2011, 06:58 PM
Think Ward is more likely to stay now given 1) the Scully offer; and 2) didn't he have a couple of weeks to make a decision? The Age article was over 2 weeks ago now and the Scully offer has made the press!

Even GWS can't have a couple of players on their list with 5-year, $5 million deals!

LostDoggy
13-07-2011, 07:52 PM
Why would he have to live in western Sydney?

Yeah, often wondered myself how that total myth eventuated. Anybody would think there were no cars or public transport in Sydney.

ledge
13-07-2011, 07:56 PM
Yeah, often wondered myself how that total myth eventuated. Anybody would think there were no cars or public transport in Sydney.

Who would want to live anywhere in Sydney ?

AndrewP6
13-07-2011, 07:58 PM
I have got an idea, lets all us woofers put in 5 grand, the woof white knight society.

I'd have to remortgage my house...no one's worth that. :)

AndrewP6
13-07-2011, 07:59 PM

Traffic is shite in Sydney. Oh, and Sydney is shite too. :)

chef
13-07-2011, 08:01 PM

You could say the same for Melbourne.

ledge
13-07-2011, 08:03 PM
You could say the same for Melbourne.

I couldnt:D

chef
13-07-2011, 08:06 PM
I couldnt:D

I guess it would be different if you were born there, but the only thing I like about the city is the footy.

ledge
13-07-2011, 08:19 PM
I guess it would be different if you were born there, but the only thing I like about the city is the footy.

I wasnt born in either but every time I have been to Sydney its raining, its ugly , its concrete it has horribly old ugly looking suburbs and the roads?? wouldnt mind two car space not one and a half.
Wardy lives in the west, easy to get in and out of, plenty of space, beaches 10 minutes away and he plays in the best footy team in Australia, why would he leave??:D

BulldogBelle
13-07-2011, 08:31 PM
Been thinking the same thing myself.
The game is inching towards the Premier League, unfortunately!

The difference between the AFL and the Premier League is that the English FA know that they need to have a handful of strong clubs to compete successfully in Europe, and build their brands internationally (and the brand and interest in English soccer).

Although in the AFL, the competition thrives on a level playing field, and it drives up television audiences.

This season, anyone apart from Port, Brisbane and the Gold Coast (and possibly Adelaide) were until a week or two ago had a realistic chance of playing finals - which drives TV audiences, attendances and bottom line revenue.

Its not the VFL suburban competition anymore, the AFL is competing for TV audiences with international soccer, domestic soccer, NRL, Super Rugby etc.

If they get back to the dodgy old days of the VFL where a handful of clubs dominated then it will be a slow and painful decline for Australian Football.

BulldogBelle
13-07-2011, 08:39 PM

Which they have done with respect to Scully

But it depends how throughly the AFL audit each player...

It would be pretty simply for a team to say "hey champ, come over and play for us, we will get an accountant to set up a Company for you of which only you and your wife are directors of, and we will get x sponsor to make payments to that company for a bs reason"

Or "we will get one of our sponsors to give you a cushy job that pays $300k per annum"

Or "we will get our sponsor to give your wife a cushy job that pays $300k per annum"

w3design
13-07-2011, 08:52 PM
His sister was watching the game in a yarraville pub on the weekend and would not be drawn on his future . I would not be surprised though if he honestly does not know what the f#%$ to do at this point . Apparently she had some pretty hilarious things to say though about some other players who would not hit the contest with the same intensity as her brother:D. Sounds like a fun gal to watch the footy with :)

Carlton players I hope :eek:

divvydan
13-07-2011, 09:21 PM
The following is based on a number of assumptions.

1. That if Ward went, we would receive a Band 2 compensation pick.
2. If compensation pick is traded and the receiving club uses them after this year, they can be based on the receiving team's finishing position that year.
3. Compensation is known before the GWS 17yo's are 'auctioned off'

If all three occur, which I believe is a distinct possibility, then it might be possible to offer GWS our Band 2 pick for someone like O'Meara. Whilst it's likely to only be a pick #15-#20 for us, for GWS, if they finish last in 2012 (likely) it could be as high as pick #2 for them.

GWS don't want picks in this year's draft according to Adelaide (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/118480/default.aspx) and the possibility of such a high pick in a strong draft could really appeal to them.

For us it would mean losing Ward and gaining O'Meara (although he couldn't play until 2013). Not sure how likely this is but have given it some thought and can't find anything obvious that would stop it happening.

Thoughts?

Sockeye Salmon
14-07-2011, 12:03 AM

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/118456/default.aspx

God the AFL are predictable.

And they wonder why people are so cynical about them.

Remi Moses
14-07-2011, 05:04 AM
What a joke! Very predictable, looking after their costly love child.

chef
14-07-2011, 08:30 AM
http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/118456/default.aspx

God the AFL are predictable.

And they wonder why people are so cynical about them.

I actually think this is great. Continuing to allow these payments would seriously affect our ability to hold on to players in the future. Well done to the AFL for realising they effed up.

BulldogBelle
14-07-2011, 09:11 AM
I actually think this is great. Continuing to allow these payments would seriously affect our ability to hold on to players in the future. Well done to the AFL for realising they effed up.

This is just absolute fluff from the AFL.

Unless the AFL demand to audit every players tax return - every year, then there is no way of knowing what 3rd party payments have been made to players.

We dont see Collingwood, Essendon or Carlton loosing any of their stars, because the back room deals with sponsors/supporters/3rd parties keep the stars at those clubs.

These deals arent written into the players contracts, but they are happening.

LostDoggy
14-07-2011, 10:04 AM
Sounds very much like the AFL is pushing for Scully to go to GWS. Is AA their real recruiting manager?

LostDoggy
14-07-2011, 10:11 AM

Traffic is shite in Sydney. Oh, and Sydney is shite too. :)

This is just absolute fluff from the AFL.

Unless the AFL demand to audit every players tax return - every year, then there is no way of knowing what 3rd party payments have been made to players.

We dont see Collingwood, Essendon or Carlton loosing any of their stars, because the back room deals with sponsors/supporters/3rd parties keep the stars at those clubs.

These deals arent written into the players contracts, but they are happening.

And things aren't about to change. With teams dominating, the AFL's view is obviously that it's a great thing, having these unbeatable teams with massive supporter bases.

LostDoggy
14-07-2011, 10:13 AM
Sounds very much like the AFL is pushing for Scully to go to GWS. Is AA their real recruiting manager?

I wonder whether Scully really qualifies as the marquee player. I mean, he's been in the game five minutes, it's not as if he's a name like Franklin or Judd or Ablett. He'll only ever be remembered for ripping the heart out of a club and taking off after 2 years, he'll be viewed as the mercenary. Ward is different, he's been with us longer, but again, not really a “marquee player”.

They really needed to snare Dale Thomas or Pendlebury.

Sockeye Salmon
14-07-2011, 10:25 AM

Absolutely it is.

My disgust is just how they change the rules to suit what they want to achieve at any given time. There is simply no explanation for Carlton to be able to get away with the Judd deal, other than one of the AFL's cash cows were languishing and they wanted them back up the ladder and pulling 80,000 to games again.

Mofra
14-07-2011, 10:32 AM
He'll only ever be remembered for ripping the heart out of a club and taking off after 2 years, he'll be viewed as the mercenary. Ward is different, he's been with us longer, but again, not really a “marquee player”.

They really needed to snare Dale Thomas or Pendlebury.
He'll be a Nathan Buckley in a nutshell, not an unfair comparison.

They wont get a marquee player - Scully & Carlisle are about as big as it gets so far.
Even a Mitch Clark would be massive for them.

1eyedog
14-07-2011, 10:40 AM
Absolutely it is.

My disgust is just how they change the rules to suit what they want to achieve at any given time. There is simply no explanation for Carlton to be able to get away with the Judd deal, other than one of the AFL's cash cows were languishing and they wanted them back up the ladder and pulling 80,000 to games again.

Don't like the article attached to that one SS 'Giants should forget Scully' :eek:

LostDoggy
14-07-2011, 11:14 AM
Absolutely it is.

100%. The AFL have no choice but to allow the Judd deal now, because they signed off on it, but they should be held to account for signing off on it in the first place. Absolutely stinks that a player can be paid $1 million outside the cap. It makes a mockery of the sport.

w3design
14-07-2011, 05:10 PM
I live in yarraville and just saw on the traders' Anderson St noticeboard that they have stuck up several articles about Callan and a sign 'We're so proud of you Callan.' it seemed very poignant to me. Will anyone even know who he is in western Sydney?

LostDoggy
14-07-2011, 05:38 PM
Two sides to the coin:
1. Typical push-over tactics of the AFL and their lovechild to make it OK to throw bucket loads of money to players. The only weapons against this are the decisions that are made by the players themselves to not accept these offers made to them.
This is why the changes in salary rules of FIFA and domestic leagues over the years in soccer have made players one of the most disloyal, greedy and glory chasing bunch of them all. We can only hope Ward asks himself serious questions on where his loyalties are and whether it is ultimately worth it for him to go up there in the long term.
The question we ask ourselves is: are Ward and Scully worth that amount of money? ABSOLUTELY NOT. They are both young, still need more experience, are quite frankly not champions (but will be), and I believe are nowhere near as good as a mature player who, if they do go to GWS, earns much less than what they will.

2. Let's imagine we are all employees of a corporation that pays well, you have a chance to move up the corporate ladder over time and you are happy with what you have. Now let's throw another ingredient into the mix: an offer from another employer who will offer you twice the money and you are offered a higher position (which cuts off years of working up the ladder). You are independent, want to live comfortably and want to succeed in life. What would you do?

ledge
14-07-2011, 06:37 PM
Two sides to the coin:
1. Typical push-over tactics of the AFL and their lovechild to make it OK to throw bucket loads of money to players. The only weapons against this are the decisions that are made by the players themselves to not accept these offers made to them.
This is why the changes in salary rules of FIFA and domestic leagues over the years in soccer have made players one of the most disloyal, greedy and glory chasing bunch of them all. We can only hope Ward asks himself serious questions on where his loyalties are and whether it is ultimately worth it for him to go up there in the long term.
The question we ask ourselves is: are Ward and Scully worth that amount of money? ABSOLUTELY NOT. They are both young, still need more experience, are quite frankly not champions (but will be), and I believe are nowhere near as good as a mature player who, if they do go to GWS, earns much less than what they will.

2. Let's imagine we are all employees of a corporation that pays well, you have a chance to move up the corporate ladder over time and you are happy with what you have. Now let's throw another ingredient into the mix: an offer from another employer who will offer you twice the money and you are offered a higher position (which cuts off years of working up the ladder). You are independent, want to live comfortably and want to succeed in life. What would you do?

You stay if your employer is the Western Bulldogs:D

LostDoggy
15-07-2011, 12:48 AM
You stay if your employer is the Western Bulldogs:D

Definitely!!!! :)

LostDoggy
15-07-2011, 06:07 PM
The following is based on a number of assumptions.

1. That if Ward went, we would receive a Band 2 compensation pick.
2. If compensation pick is traded and the receiving club uses them after this year, they can be based on the receiving team's finishing position that year.
3. Compensation is known before the GWS 17yo's are 'auctioned off'

If all three occur, which I believe is a distinct possibility, then it might be possible to offer GWS our Band 2 pick for someone like O'Meara. Whilst it's likely to only be a pick #15-#20 for us, for GWS, if they finish last in 2012 (likely) it could be as high as pick #2 for them.

GWS don't want picks in this year's draft according to Adelaide (http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/118480/default.aspx) and the possibility of such a high pick in a strong draft could really appeal to them.

For us it would mean losing Ward and gaining O'Meara (although he couldn't play until 2013). Not sure how likely this is but have given it some thought and can't find anything obvious that would stop it happening.

Thoughts?

I like the thought process and an outside mid of O'meara's apparent talent would be as close to fair compensation as we are likely to get. This bit from todays news looks pretty useful however....

"...League football operations manager Adrian Anderson told the newspaper that the Bulldogs could also receive two first-round draft picks as compensation for Ward if his contract offer was similar to Scully's...."

The reality is, however, Ward is close to an ideal dog. There's nothing fancy about him if you discount those ridiculous flowing locks. He's just a hard, tough as nails bggr, who charges in and smashes the ball where he wants it. I hate any trade that see's ward leave us. Pretty hard to replace a true son of the west.

LostDoggy
15-07-2011, 07:31 PM
Two sides to the coin:

I'm a fiercely loyal kinda guy: I'd stay right where I was, if I was happy in that job. I can't go into details, but I did exactly that just recently and stuck by my boss, who pays me pretty average but has looked out for me in every other way possible for close to 5 years.

Remi Moses
15-07-2011, 08:13 PM
I'm a fiercely loyal kinda guy: I'd stay right where I was, if I was happy in that job. I can't go into details, but I did exactly that just recently and stuck by my boss, who pays me pretty average but has looked out for me in every other way possible for close to 5 years.

With the casualisation of the work force you can pick up work now on bigger rates.
Those blokes doing road works are on very good hourly rates in particular the night workers.
Not everyone is totally besotted by money

Bulldog4life
16-07-2011, 11:23 AM
It appears that we are on the front foot to try to retain Cal.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sport/dogs-renew-bid-to-keep-ward-out-of-gws/story-e6frg7mf-1226095579533

LostDoggy
16-07-2011, 11:58 AM
New plan.

The AFL will probably institute a new law stating anyone with the name Ward or Scully can only play for GWS (they have pretty much done that already).

Cal goes and we get two first round picks "..to be taken directly after our first pick..."

We stick two long fingers in the air and openly and deliberately tank every single game next year to finish last.

We take picks 1, 2 and 3 in the 2012 Superdraft to add to the up and coming "Wallis and Libba Show" and in three years we win 4 flags in a row and stick each of them up the AFL's MASSIVELY FAT @RSE.

It's a sweet dream - particularly the insertions......

LostDoggy
16-07-2011, 10:01 PM

Unfortunately we dont play in a competition where the playing field is even.

Dancin' Douggy
16-07-2011, 11:31 PM
New plan.

The AFL will probably institute a new law stating anyone with the name Ward or Scully can only play for GWS (they have pretty much done that already).

Cal goes and we get two first round picks "..to be taken directly after our first pick..."

We stick two long fingers in the air and openly and deliberately tank every single game next year to finish last.

We take picks 1, 2 and 3 in the 2012 Superdraft to add to the up and coming "Wallis and Libba Show" and in three years we win 4 flags in a row and stick each of them up the AFL's MASSIVELY FAT @RSE.

It's a sweet dream - particularly the insertions......

Deal. (If we lose Ward)

1eyedog
16-07-2011, 11:37 PM
Has he made a decision? Was there not a timeline on his reply to GWS? The longer I hear nothing the more concerned I become.

AndrewP6
16-07-2011, 11:40 PM
Has he made a decision? Was there not a timeline on his reply to GWS? The longer I hear nothing the more concerned I become.

There was something in today's paper about that timeline having passed, I don't think it was an ultimatum or anything.

1eyedog
16-07-2011, 11:43 PM
There was something in today's paper about that timeline having passed, I don't think it was an ultimatum or anything.

Okay. I would love to see a statement where he comes out and states he's staying the anticipation is killing me. I'm getting a deja vu feeling as per last year.

AndrewP6
16-07-2011, 11:45 PM
Okay. I would love to see a statement where he comes out and states he's staying.

Same.

ratsmac
17-07-2011, 01:17 AM
I think he's gone. Sad but do you blame him for that cash. The AFL are currupt!

The Adelaide Connection
17-07-2011, 03:13 PM
I hope our recent good form and the Newfound enthusiasm about/around te club has been enough to keep him here. If he had to make the decision five weeks ago you'd think he would have definitely left, but if he had to make the call this week? You never know.

LostDoggy
18-07-2011, 06:24 PM

Mate if only the majority of the world was like you - my sentiments are exactly like yours and if I was offered a spot on the Dogs I would never leave either. On that note, stay Callan Ward!

bornadog
19-07-2011, 03:07 PM

Its not just about money, you have to enjoy what you are doing, you have to enjoy the environment you work in, including who you work with, who you report to and the facilitied available. I have been in jobs where I was highly paid for doing not much but just didn't enjoy going to work.

Hopefully Callan will weight up everything,not just the money.

mjp
19-07-2011, 05:23 PM
Its not just about money, you have to enjoy what you are doing, you have to enjoy the environment you work in, including who you work with, who you report to and the facilitied available. I have been in jobs where I was highly paid for doing not much but just didn't enjoy going to work.

Hopefully Callan will weight up everything,not just the money.

I agree with all of that (and I am sure he is weighing everything up) but if the difference is several hundred thousand dollars per year - for 5 years - he just has to take it.

LostDoggy
19-07-2011, 05:30 PM
Is it possible that with the retirement of Barry Hall that this will free up a few $$$ and also open a space on the veterans list (was Barry on the vets list)? Not sure but Barrys retirement could have a hand to play in keeping Callan.

Nuggety Back Pocket
19-07-2011, 05:35 PM
I suspect their cap is bottomless. The AFL will provide whatever it takes to build the list Grubby Allan is seeking.

If Scully is being offered $1m per season what would they offer a marquee player like a Pendlebury or Thomas ?

As a Bulldog lifer optimism abounds but gee it's going to take a heavy financial sacrifice to hold young Cal. Hopefully Cal proves to be one of those types where money isn't the primary driver.

The question remains can we see another act like Chris Grant's decision to stay when offered a fortune to play with Port Adelaide. The AFL have got it all wrong when financially struggling Melbourne clubs like the Demons and the Bulldogs are targeted to lose quality young players who have hardly served their apprenticeship as in the case of Scully and Callan Ward. We deserve better.

OLD SCRAGGer
19-07-2011, 05:37 PM
Is it possible that with the retirement of Barry Hall that this will free up a few $$$ and also open a space on the veterans list (was Barry on the vets list)? Not sure but Barrys retirement could have a hand to play in keeping Callan.

Was thinking the same thing myself. & NO, Barry wasn't at club long enough for veterans list

LostDoggy
19-07-2011, 05:52 PM
Now that every one thinks he is going. Will we get second round pick for him? I personally think Sheedy really hates us so I doubt we will get much. Especially since we have 0 pull with the AFL.

LostDoggy
19-07-2011, 06:08 PM
I hope our recent good form and the Newfound enthusiasm about/around te club has been enough to keep him here. If he had to make the decision five weeks ago you'd think he would have definitely left, but if he had to make the call this week? You never know.

I hope then that last weeks midfield performance where he almost played a lone hand in a game we should have had the desire to win doesn't make him want away.

always right
19-07-2011, 06:15 PM
Is it just me or has he taken his game to a whole new level ever since the speculation increased about him moving to GWS? He has gone from being a hard-nosed midfielder with potential to just about our best midfielder.

Doc26
19-07-2011, 06:35 PM
I agree with all of that (and I am sure he is weighing everything up) but if the difference is several hundred thousand dollars per year - for 5 years - he just has to take it.

This depends on one's motivation. If dollars are your driver then it might seem a no brainer. Not everyone is motivated this way.

From a personal reflection, having spent most of my career somewhat lost in the world of big corporates and their financial drivers to then making a life choice to move my skills to the not for profit world where the key drivers are more of a social orientation i.e giving back, I see and experience a committed workforce who everyday sacrifice big dollars for the sake of a different richness.

Not everyone gets it, I just hope Cal does, it's not like he's looking for food stamps.

LostDoggy
19-07-2011, 07:24 PM
I hate to think it may be but I feel he is gone.

Pedro Sanchez
19-07-2011, 08:13 PM
Na, still reckon he'll stay. Will captain the team after Boyd and be the role a good 8 or so years...

LostDoggy
21-07-2011, 04:59 PM
Hearing that GWS were after Hall gives me confidence that they think that he will stay.

Fingers crossed anyway.

Doc26
21-07-2011, 07:32 PM
Hearing that GWS were after Hall gives me confidence that they think that he will stay.

Fingers crossed anyway.

Nawrocki, that's an interesting observation.

LostDoggy
21-07-2011, 08:03 PM
Surely GWS can't afford 2 of these huge contracts?
If they get Scully; who seems to be a bigger priority and IMO is gawn, surely they can't then pay a similar $5mil deal to Ward?
Either way, i was happy to hear Scully say he is putting off talks till the end of the season

LostDoggy
21-07-2011, 11:35 PM
If they get Scully; who seems to be a bigger priority and IMO is gawn, surely they can't then pay a similar $5mil deal to Ward?
Either way, i was happy to hear Scully say he is putting off talks till the end of the season

He's already gone. His manager saying things like “his decision at the end of the year” and “Scully has enjoyed his two years at Melbourne” sound to me like the decision is well and truly made. (I'm talking about Scully)

The Coon Dog
22-07-2011, 08:43 AM
He's already gone. His manager saying things like “his decision at the end of the year” and “Scully has enjoyed his two years at Melbourne” sound to me like the decision is well and truly made. (I'm talking about Scully)

Thank goodness you clarified that, near on gave me a heart attack! :eek:

1eyedog
22-07-2011, 11:23 AM

Ward's offer has been estimated at 2 million over 3 I think.

Doc26
22-07-2011, 11:29 AM

Rather than something like "Tom is loving his time at Melbourne", I thought the same thing when I read this quote.

Thank goodness you clarified that, near on gave me a heart attack! :eek:

TCD, does your surprise imply that you still believe Cal. will stay on ?

The Coon Dog
22-07-2011, 11:44 AM
TCD, does your surprise imply that you still believe Cal. will stay on ?

I haven't the faintest. :confused: One minute I think he'll stay & the next I'm not too sure. My surprise was the emphatic manner in which BAS said 'he's already gone'!

LostDoggy
22-07-2011, 03:27 PM
Now that every one thinks he is going. Will we get second round pick for him? I personally think Sheedy really hates us so I doubt we will get much. Especially since we have 0 pull with the AFL.

Minimum 1st round and possibly 2 1st round. Sheedy has no say in anything beyond the thieft of one of our up and comers. There is a committe that decides what the compensation is.

LostDoggy
22-07-2011, 03:40 PM
Minimum 1st round and possibly 2 1st round. Sheedy has no say in anything beyond the thieft of one of our up and comers. There is a committe that decides what the compensation is.

I am worried though we will not go hard enough at the AFL if compensation is not adequate. When it comes to the commission it seems a softly softly approach.

LostDoggy
22-07-2011, 03:46 PM
Went to the East West Legends & Young Guns dinner Wednesday night. They were talking to young Schofield about how he was emergency fir a few weeks. Reminded me of how we used to call Callan "Emergency Ward" because of all the times he was emergency. And look how that ha panned out, a repeat would be nice.

immortalmike
22-07-2011, 06:10 PM
Ward's offer has been estimated at 2 million over 3 I think.

If that figure is true you'd think he'd stay. Considering the club has reportedly offered him around $450, 000 a year, I don't think $650-700, 000 a year is much of an enticement when you consider tax, cost of living and having to move away from all your friends and family.

the banker
22-07-2011, 06:44 PM
If that figure is true you'd think he'd stay. Considering the club has reportedly offered him around $450, 000 a year, I don't think $650-700, 000 a year is much of an enticement when you consider tax, cost of living and having to move away from all your friends and family.

Agree. The difference is very little incentive. Wards future looks very bright with the Dogs.

Greater Western Sydney (the region) is bleak compared to an inner Melbourne lifestyle. Its an anti AFL zone plus they just won't get the hair.

Remi Moses
22-07-2011, 08:19 PM
Got a feeling they're going to throw the kitchen sink at Goddard and Pendlebury in 12 months time. Just reading between the lines is the offer for Ward less than first reported?

azabob
22-07-2011, 08:43 PM
Got a feeling they're going to throw the kitchen sink at Goddard and Pendlebury in 12 months time. Just reading between the lines is the offer for Ward less than first reported?

I heard via a report Wards contract is front loaded but then falls away, so u could be right.

The Bulldogs Bite
23-07-2011, 07:04 PM
Wish we'd hear from Ward what he's going to do.

The whole 'wait and see' thing is frustrating.

comrade
23-07-2011, 07:06 PM
Wish we'd hear from Ward what he's going to do.

The whole 'wait and see' thing is frustrating.

I'll have to watch the replay but it seems he gave his GWS suitors a nice up close glimpse of his talent today. No doubt, it added a few dollars to his proposed contract :(

The Bulldogs Bite
23-07-2011, 07:09 PM
I'll have to watch the replay but it seems he gave his GWS suitors a nice up close glimpse of his talent today. No doubt, it added a few dollars to his proposed contract :(

That's for sure. :(

If Ward leaves, my 'falling out of love' with football will be practically complete.

GVGjr
23-07-2011, 07:14 PM
I'm leaning towards the thought that he will be staying. I have nothing to base this on but just a gut feel.

DOG GOD
23-07-2011, 07:18 PM
I hope your right GVGjr. His year so far has been a highlight of a rather poor team performance and i feel he will be due to really hit his straps in the next 2 years. We need him in the red, white and blue and not the hideous orange and ? jumper.

Pickenitup
23-07-2011, 07:20 PM
Nathan Brown on Triple M says Cal is as good as gone

comrade
23-07-2011, 07:41 PM

Brown should stick to selling trashy, over priced t-shirts.

AndrewP6
23-07-2011, 07:41 PM

I'd sooner ask the cat.

BulldogBelle
23-07-2011, 07:45 PM
The longer it drags on, the more likely he is to go I reckon.

Pickenitup
23-07-2011, 07:48 PM
Browny is still very close to a lot of the boys my gut feel is he is going

ledge
23-07-2011, 07:57 PM
Browny was nowhere near the club when Ward arrived how would he know?

Topdog
23-07-2011, 08:01 PM
Browny is still very close to a lot of the boys my gut feel is he is going

He is close to Murphy and thats about it. Ward himself doesn't know yet.

chef
Browny was nowhere near the club when Ward arrived how would he know?

He's still good mates with a few of the players.

chef
He is close to Murphy and thats about it. Ward himself doesn't know yet.

Gia too.

Mantis
23-07-2011, 08:23 PM
Brown should stick to selling trashy, over priced t-shirts.

I like his t-shirts. :D

comrade
23-07-2011, 08:33 PM
I like his t-shirts. :D

I didn't say they were bad :D

Remi Moses
23-07-2011, 08:56 PM
I'd sooner ask the cat.

The cat's leaving you to play in front of big crowds in September:D
Brown is a tosser. Over priced crap t-shirt seller
On a serious note if we get 2 first rounders for Ward,will they use it on a player?
Or use one on a player and the second in the draft? Dangerfield?

LostDoggy
23-07-2011, 08:58 PM

Yeah but luckily for us, Callan Ward is not Nathan Brown. Not everyone wants out, Nafannn. Plus how the hell would he know?! Oh, and also, I don't care what you think Nathan.

LostDoggy
23-07-2011, 09:04 PM
Yeah but luckily for us, Callan Ward is not Nathan Brown. Not everyone wants out, Nafannn. Plus how the hell would he know?! Oh, and also, I don't care what you think Nathan.

He is still good friends with some of the playing group, who knows if Ward has already told the players & what they have said to Nathan.

LostDoggy
23-07-2011, 09:10 PM
He is still good friends with some of the playing group, who knows if Ward has already told the players & what they have said to Nathan.

Valid point, but I don't understand why they'd feel the need to tell him, surely it'd be kept under wraps until it's officially announced or something. I don't know. I mostly just want an excuse to say "shut up Nafan!".

LostDoggy
23-07-2011, 09:12 PM
Valid point, but I don't understand why they'd feel the need to tell him, surely it'd be kept under wraps until it's officially announced or something. I don't know. I mostly just want an excuse to say "shut up Nafan!".

I wouldn't think it's the case either, but weirder things have happened.

Topdog
23-07-2011, 11:45 PM
If he has told the players than he has told the coach and playing staff. Literally 0% chance of it not being out there if he has told players.

ReLoad
24-07-2011, 12:51 AM
Hypothetical, and just that, nothing more:

Cooney,
A) would we move him on
B) would GWS want him?
C) what would the implications/ramifications be?

GVGjr
24-07-2011, 01:53 AM
Hypothetical, and just that, nothing more:

Cooney,
A) would we move him on
B) would GWS want him?
C) what would the implications/ramifications be?

A) No
B) Yes
C) Motivate good players at the club to take the best offers they can if the opportunity presents in the future.

Would be a huge mistake.

Rocco Jones
24-07-2011, 02:34 AM
A) No
B) Yes
C) Motivate good players at the club to take the best offers they can if the opportunity presents in the future.

Would be a huge mistake.

Totally agree.

It amuses me that the same masses who detest players changing teams are all about business when a player who has contributed a lot to a club is struggling.

Loyalty is a two way street. Of course I don't mean you carry players but there are ramifactions to trading away your own.

ledge
24-07-2011, 11:59 AM
Against Carlton he was back, what a champ, two weeks later people talk about trading him?
Exactly why he came out protecting Lake, could we please have some thoughtful and common sense on this instead of just jumping on a player to trade him after a hard run.

Topdog
24-07-2011, 12:00 PM
Agree with the above 3 posters.

ReLoad
24-07-2011, 01:59 PM
I'm hardly suggesting to trade him, but it is a worthy hypothetical.

I would certainly ike to think that our football department would at least have this discussion on every player, even if it is a 5 minute talk, they at least need to run through the hypothetical scenarios on EVERYONE.

Given such a disastrous season it is wise and prudent to review everything, that includes the best we have? No?

LostDoggy
24-07-2011, 06:31 PM
Le Grand Cheveux is not going anywhere , he,s our Joel Selwood

http://finalsiren.com/PlayerCompare.asp?SeasonID=2011&PlayerName1=joel+selwood&PlayerName2=&PlayerName3=&PlayerName4=&Compare=Compare&SelectedPlayers=1856%2C

( Le Grand Cheveux - The Big Hair )

LostDoggy
24-07-2011, 06:31 PM
WARDS STAYING!!! Hurray!

(Hubby asked him at the Willi match and he said so) lol

(well I guess he wasn't going to say no)

LostDoggy
24-07-2011, 06:46 PM
He was with Wood, so could be a good thing or a really, really bad thing, lol.

w3design
24-07-2011, 08:39 PM
WARDS STAYING!!! Hurray!

(Hubby asked him at the Willi match and he said so) lol

(well I guess he wasn't going to say no)
He could have said, 'not sure yet'....:D

Is this seriously what transpired? It is wonderful news if so.

LostDoggy
24-07-2011, 09:27 PM
Hey Callan, what happened yesterday mate?

"We just couldn't do it"

So are you staying with us?

"yes"

(Me madly whispering "leave the poor boy alone, he's allowed to have some time off)

Callan wasn't in a hurry though and didn't seem unhappy to have a chat.

Dazza
24-07-2011, 09:43 PM
Hey Callan, what happened yesterday mate?

"We just couldn't do it"

So are you staying with us?

"yes"

(Me madly whispering "leave the poor boy alone, he's allowed to have some time off)

Callan wasn't in a hurry though and didn't seem unhappy to have a chat.

I hope this happened.

*I've also seen Ward and Roughead catch up with Leon cameron when Willi has played Box Hill.

LostDoggy
24-07-2011, 09:54 PM
Skinner, Wood, Ward and Hooper where all down near the goals down the pool end.

Wood and Ward went on the oval to have kick at 1/4 and 1/2 time.

LostDoggy
24-07-2011, 09:55 PM
I hope this happened.

What do you mean?

bornadog
25-07-2011, 04:23 PM
What Callan needs to consider is the extra cash on a net of tax basis worth it.

Therefore:

Tax Payable on $400,000 = $160,000

Tax Payable on $500,000 = $206,000

Tax Payable on $750,000 = $322,000

Tax Payable on $1,000,000 = $439,000

So if we paid him say $500,00 he would net $294,000

If GWS paid $750,000 he would net $428,000 or $134,000 more (gross before tax $250,000). Not as great a difference.

Mantis
25-07-2011, 04:45 PM
So if we paid him say $500,00 he would net $294,000

If GWS paid $750,000 he would net $428,000 or $134,000 more (gross before tax $250,000). Not as great a difference.

Where are these figures coming from?

bornadog
25-07-2011, 04:47 PM
Where are these figures coming from?

Just a guess on what we have offered compared to GWS and the tax tables. Trying to illustrate a point that Ward should look at the net figures rather than gross.

Mantis
25-07-2011, 06:31 PM
Just a guess on what we have offered compared to GWS and the tax tables. Trying to illustrate a point that Ward should look at the net figures rather than gross.

So if net figures are correct & offered figures are correct (which I don't believe they are) Callan is still going to receive an extra $2,500 in his bank account every week if he signs for GWS for atleast the next 5 years.

That is still very big money.

LostDoggy
25-07-2011, 06:42 PM
I'm hardly suggesting to trade him, but it is a worthy hypothetical.

I would certainly ike to think that our football department would at least have this discussion on every player, even if it is a 5 minute talk, they at least need to run through the hypothetical scenarios on EVERYONE.

Given such a disastrous season it is wise and prudent to review everything, that includes the best we have? No?

No.

Take a look at the Brisbane-Fevola-Bradshaw incident. Or take a look at Melbourne right now: rumour (true or not) is Scully and others are p****d at how they handled McDonald.

Big mistake, as another poster said previously.

Couldn't he just pump a large portion of it into super and thus reduce the tax? He could also salary sacrifice a car, etc. (or have the laws changed in that regard in the last few years?)

bornadog
25-07-2011, 06:43 PM
So if net figures are correct & offered figures are correct (which I don't believe they are) Callan is still going to receive an extra $2,500 in his bank account every week if he signs for GWS for atleast the next 5 years.

That is still very big money.

He has to also weigh up other factors such as environment, both work and living, leaving friends and family etc etc. It's not just about money, ask Selwood and others that have knocked back big dollars, in fact ask Chris Grant.

LostDoggy
05-08-2011, 11:53 AM
Do you think the club would use Callan as their Model if they thought he was going?
Or are they trying to make sure he stays?
http://www.clubsonline.com.au/ebrochure/westernbulldogs/brochure3/default.html

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
05-08-2011, 12:50 PM
Do you think the club would use Callan as their Model if they thought he was going?

Wow, we're really desperate for signs of his intentions & are heading into tea leaves territory trying to read anything into this.
Could it just be that they're trying to flog some merchandise?

Sockeye Salmon
05-08-2011, 12:52 PM

Or maybe he just happened to walk past when the photographer asked for a player to model?

LostDoggy
05-08-2011, 02:15 PM
I remember Jordan McMahon being on our calendar the year after we traded him.

chef
05-08-2011, 02:17 PM
I remember Jordan McMahon being on our calendar the year after we traded him.

Harbrow's in this years calendar.

1eyedog
05-08-2011, 04:25 PM
Wow, who's that player in the pink?

LostDoggy
05-08-2011, 08:09 PM

lol, there goes that theory then!

LostDoggy
05-08-2011, 08:40 PM
Whose gonna get a kid to offer him 20cents at the airport?

It worked on Chris Grant

LostDoggy
06-08-2011, 12:16 AM
Wow, who's that player in the pink?

Jarrad Grant after he washes his hair

bornadog
06-08-2011, 01:02 PM
Whose gonna get a kid to offer him 20cents at the airport?

It worked on Chris Grant

I will find one quick, but we may have to up it to a $1 coin:D

LostDoggy
06-08-2011, 01:23 PM
He's 100% gone IMO, we heard nothing from Harbrow whilst all this speculation occured, same is happening from Ward.

This one is going to hurt twice as much..

LostDoggy
06-08-2011, 08:21 PM

Is he? Haven't seen it. Obviously they're getting them printed too early.

He's 100% gone IMO, we heard nothing from Harbrow whilst all this speculation occured, same is happening from Ward.

This one is going to hurt twice as much..

Hmmm, hard to tell on that alone. Look at Dale Thomas: He is yet to sign with Collingwood, but it's not necessarily because he wants to go to GWS (though he might, who knows…)

It is going to hurt, but then we'll find someone else to fill his shoes and life will go on.

Remi Moses
06-08-2011, 10:33 PM
It's time for Simon Garlick or Fantasia to put it to Ward whether he's going!
Getting tired of this so called process, personally going to be pi**Ed off if he plays the rest of the season and rides off into the sunset.Extremely unfair for the club who'd get game time into Howard and Tutt and young Mitch. Time to give ward an Ultimatim!!:mad:

GVGjr
06-08-2011, 10:57 PM
Getting tired of this so called process, personally going to be pi**Ed off if he plays the rest of the season and rides off into the sunset.Extremely unfair for the club who'd get game time into Howard and Tutt and young Mitch. Time to give ward an Ultimatim!!:mad:

He will continue to be played regardless of if he is going or not.
Giving him an ultimatum is not the way to go.

Desipura
07-08-2011, 09:09 AM

What if he does a knee and GWS don't want him anymore?

Topdog
07-08-2011, 09:33 AM

If my employer did something like that they would make up my mind for me. It wouldn't be favourable for them in case you were wondering.

cinder
07-08-2011, 12:14 PM
I would assume that if he has decided to stay he would have announced that by now. Either he has already decided (and is going) or he is truly going to wait til season's end to decide.

LostDoggy
07-08-2011, 03:15 PM
I would assume that if he has decided to stay he would have announced that by now. Either he has already decided (and is going) or he is truly going to wait til season's end to decide.

Just watched Silvani on some footy show or other talking about Ward and Scully. I'm so sick of this bullsh!t party line " we had a brief window at the start of the year and then another one after the season is over to talk to their management teams..." Seriously - WTF? Ward even said they've been talking to his team during he year. SoS looked far to smug for my blood-pressure to handle.

cinder
10-08-2011, 10:47 AM
Just watched Silvani on some footy show or other talking about Ward and Scully. I'm so sick of this bullsh!t party line " we had a brief window at the start of the year and then another one after the season is over to talk to their management teams..." Seriously - WTF? Ward even said they've been talking to his team during he year. SoS looked far to smug for my blood-pressure to handle.

It's a joke and is going to have a big impact on the AFL going forward. Who wants to watch/support a team that's losing all their stars? It's alright for teams such as Collingwood who even without having won a Premiership last year have so many things going for them to entice players to stay ($$, corporate sponsorship, attractive draw, brilliant facilities). I'm one of those supporters who will support the Dogs come what may, but what about the fickle ones and attracting new members? Losing a player like Ward not only impacts us in that sense but with the amount of time, dollars and effort spent in grooming him into the player he is today and will be tomorrow - you just can't compensate for that.

Rant over.

ledge
10-08-2011, 11:03 AM
It's a joke and is going to have a big impact on the AFL going forward. Who wants to watch/support a team that's losing all their stars? It's alright for teams such as Collingwood who even without having won a Premiership last year have so many things going for them to entice players to stay ($$, corporate sponsorship, attractive draw, brilliant facilities). I'm one of those supporters who will support the Dogs come what may, but what about the fickle ones and attracting new members? Losing a player like Ward not only impacts us in that sense but with the amount of time, dollars and effort spent in grooming him into the player he is today and will be tomorrow - you just can't compensate for that.

Rant over.

This why Melbourne are so upset with the Scully thing, you spend 2 years putting your efforts money etc in a young player of great talent only to see all of the time and money go down the drain to another club, it becomes a wasted number 1 pick.

cinder
10-08-2011, 12:34 PM
Yeah. Losing Scully will suck, but since they've had so many other top picks they do have other future superstars to fall back on. In a way I don't have as much sympathy for Melbourne as they have simply not done enough with what they've had and should be winning a lot more games by now. Whereas I think we have done a fair bit. Except for this year where the wheels have fallen off - bad timing...

1eyedog
10-08-2011, 01:20 PM
It's a joke and is going to have a big impact on the AFL going forward. Who wants to watch/support a team that's losing all their stars? It's alright for teams such as Collingwood who even without having won a Premiership last year have so many things going for them to entice players to stay ($$, corporate sponsorship, attractive draw, brilliant facilities). I'm one of those supporters who will support the Dogs come what may, but what about the fickle ones and attracting new members? Losing a player like Ward not only impacts us in that sense but with the amount of time, dollars and effort spent in grooming him into the player he is today and will be tomorrow - you just can't compensate for that.Rant over.

We got him for next to nothing:D Well at least that was what the player we traded away for the pick was giving us at the time.

He has already given so much back in his 60 games with us. If he goes, he goes.

Mantis
11-08-2011, 01:23 PM
Dogs have suspicions they can't Ward off GWS (http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sport/dogs-have-suspicions-they-cant-ward-off-gws/story-e6frg7mf-1226112679515)

Doesn't sound promising... but good news on Wood.

1eyedog
11-08-2011, 01:40 PM
Dogs have suspicions they can't Ward off GWS (http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sport/dogs-have-suspicions-they-cant-ward-off-gws/story-e6frg7mf-1226112679515)

Yeah it's what 56.60% of WOOF posters are thinking too.

LostDoggy
11-08-2011, 02:27 PM

Seems as though we are just counting the days until it's announced, very pleased that it looks at though Wood is going to stay though.

LostDoggy
11-08-2011, 02:44 PM
C'mon Easton. Sign the contract and get a haircut mate :)

LostDoggy
11-08-2011, 02:46 PM
Means nothing. An article From thin air? He will stay.

OLD SCRAGGer
11-08-2011, 03:35 PM

Hope to GOD you're right

Mantis
11-08-2011, 03:38 PM

What's this statement based on? A guess?

Ozza
11-08-2011, 03:42 PM

Thin air perhaps!

The Underdog
11-08-2011, 03:42 PM

More likely hope or blind optimism. But I'd suggest it's also from thin air.

immortalmike
11-08-2011, 04:08 PM

Aren't everyone's statements based on a guess?

LostDoggy
11-08-2011, 04:15 PM

My contact still assures me that he hasn't heard anything from Cals camp that would suggest he is leaving. At the end of the day he might not be as close to them as he thinks and could be wrong. Silence is not a good sign in this situation but I'm keeping the faith. Callans whole family is Essendon and he grew up idolizing Sheedy, they offered him 330k he stayed for 180k. I know big difference this time round but if we don't play hard ball like last time (we tried him at 140k) then I think for sure he will stay. The Gws contract will be heavily Front ended. Call it a guess or whatever you want but my money's on him staying.

Daughter of the West
11-08-2011, 04:20 PM

Ah-hem...

***rant alert***

JUST PUT US OUT OF OUR FREAKIN' MISERY CALLAN!!! IF YOU'RE FREAKIN' GOING, FREAKIN' SAY SO!!! STOP US ALL FREAKIN' GUESSING!!!

Ok, rant over. I would just really like to know one way or another. For certain.

LostDoggy
11-08-2011, 04:28 PM
Hehe I second that Rant of the Day!

Mantis
11-08-2011, 05:07 PM

Sometimes they are also based on fact... or what will be fact.

immortalmike
11-08-2011, 05:34 PM
Sometimes they are also based on fact... or what will be fact.

No, no they're posts on the internet they are never based on fact....

Also in general I agree with Daughter of the West's rant above.

1eyedog
11-08-2011, 06:13 PM

Also in general I agree with Daughter of the West's rant above.

What if, just what if Rooner17 was privy to inside information? Would it be just a guess then just because he posted it on the internet?

Of course it's very unlikely that Rooner17 is privy to inside information, but the question can still be asked? Can it not?

Some of the posts I've read on WOOF are certainly based on fact.

The Bulldogs Bite
11-08-2011, 06:26 PM
If Ward's going, pack your bags and leave now. Don't be a selfish prick and take the spot of a player we could be developing in your position.

He's had months to come to a decision; man up and announce it.

The Underdog
11-08-2011, 06:31 PM
If Ward's going, pack your bags and leave now. Don't be a selfish prick and take the spot of a player we could be developing in your position.

He's had months to come to a decision; man up and announce it.

Yes, but maybe he hasn't. I don't think the club would particularly want to piss him off at this point if he's still a possibility to stay.

The Bulldogs Bite
11-08-2011, 06:35 PM
Yes, but maybe he hasn't. I don't think the club would particularly want to piss him off at this point if he's still a possibility to stay.

How long do you need to decide? It's ridiculous. He either wants the money (fair enough) or prefers loyalty. It doesn't take 12 months to decide.

It's already happened once. We're shooting ourselves in the foot, particularly by not developing other players.

Did it last year with Harbrow (and Hahn/Johnson/Higgins playing injured). Howard/Wallis could and should have played more games.

LostDoggy
11-08-2011, 06:39 PM
What if, just what if Rooner17 was privy to inside information? Would it be just a guess then just because he posted it on the internet?

Of course it's very unlikely that Rooner17 is privy to inside information, but the question can still be asked? Can it not?

Not sure how I'm supposed to take this? Why would it be very unlikely that I was privy to anything? I would of thought I'd just be unlikely? All I am being is a messenger and hopefully a correct one.

Maddog37
11-08-2011, 07:23 PM
I Appreciate any info provided Rooner. It is up to the reader to believe it or not.

The last thing we want is to shut down any potential information source. That is half the fun of these forums, the possibility that someone knows something and we all get to share the inside knowledge.

I still reckon he is gone as it is so much like what happened with all the other players that left to GC.

Greystache
11-08-2011, 07:24 PM

That's really, really short sighted. Really.

bornadog
11-08-2011, 07:26 PM

A wise man once told me, don't believe anything you read and only half of what you hear.;)

Maddog37
11-08-2011, 07:28 PM
You would have been a challenge for your teachers at school with that outlook Bornadog!!

Greystache
11-08-2011, 07:34 PM
A wise man once told me, don't believe anything you read and only half of what you hear.;)

Obviously wasn't an academic. :D

ledge
11-08-2011, 08:47 PM
How long do you need to decide? It's ridiculous. He either wants the money (fair enough) or prefers loyalty. It doesn't take 12 months to decide.

It's already happened once. We're shooting ourselves in the foot, particularly by not developing other players.

Did it last year with Harbrow (and Hahn/Johnson/Higgins playing injured). Howard/Wallis could and should have played more games.

Its a catch 22, we play him and he plays well the draft pick is higher.
Thus playing the others could be a plus or minus.

The Bulldogs Bite
11-08-2011, 09:22 PM
Its a catch 22, we play him and he plays well the draft pick is higher.
Thus playing the others could be a plus or minus.

Halfway during the year - agreed. But we're near the end.

He's proven himself to be a gun. There's 4? games left. Make up your mind and at least do the right thing by the club that gave you a chance in the first place. (See Phil Davis)

divvydan
11-08-2011, 09:43 PM
After all the uproar following Davis' claim that he was going, already being injured and not playing again this season, there's no way Ward would announce it before the end of the season and would probably have been told by his management and the AFL lawyers (If he is leaving) not to say a word until the season is over.

immortalmike
11-08-2011, 10:10 PM

It seems that sarcasm is very hard to convey in text...Or to phrase it differently guys I was just taking the piss.

Oh and Bornadog I've heard that phrased as "believe none of what you hear and half of what you see"

Rocco Jones
11-08-2011, 10:13 PM
I've changed to gone.

Where there's thick, thick smoke, there's fire. Dale Thomas hasn't signed yet but there aren't the loud noises. Cal is just waiting for our season to be actually over. Gone. Hopefully Wood doesn't follow him as well.

comrade
11-08-2011, 10:18 PM
I've given up all hope.

cinder
11-08-2011, 10:19 PM
I've changed to gone.

Where there's thick, thick smoke, there's fire. Dale Thomas hasn't signed yet but there aren't the loud noises. Cal is just waiting for our season to be actually over. Gone. Hopefully Wood doesn't follow him as well.

I don't think they can take both? Only 1 uncontracted player...

Rocco Jones
11-08-2011, 10:24 PM
I don't think they can take both? Only 1 uncontracted player...

It's harder for them to do 2 but look at Brisbane with Brennan and Rischitelli last year. If they convince Wood to go, I think we are in trouble. I do think Easton will stay but the 1 player thing isn't that reliable.

1eyedog
11-08-2011, 10:25 PM
Not sure how I'm supposed to take this? Why would it be very unlikely that I was privy to anything? I would of thought I'd just be unlikely? All I am being is a messenger and hopefully a correct one.

You can take it however you want, it's not a criticism, I was merely saying that you may or may not know something that Immortal Mike doesn't.

Out of all the people who would actually know whether Callan is truly staying or going I would say that it is very unlikely that you actually do. If you were his brother or best friend I would be inclined, but you talk about a contact, who may not be close to him. So there is some doubt.

That's all and it's based on the law of averages, I'm not challenging your integrity.

Evel
11-08-2011, 10:28 PM
I've got no inside knowledge or sources, just a gut feel that once the team is mathematically unable to make finals an announcement will be made on Ward's future. Like some other posters have said, I feel it's gone on too long now for him to announce he's staying so am prepared for the worst.

Sedat
11-08-2011, 10:31 PM
If we are smart, we will play the 'Thomas hasn't signed yet' card hard behind closed doors. He is the biggest fish and GWS are in him up to their eyeballs (collingwood would have made a song and dance about him staying had he actually made a decision yet), and the beauty is that they are going to play through to early October so there wll be no resolution on his contract status until then. Ward might just say "to hell with this" and sign up with the incumbent, enjoying the perks of security and stability and eschewing the uncertainty of moving interstate and plying his trade every week to a disinterested audience..

1eyedog
11-08-2011, 10:34 PM
It seems that sarcasm is very hard to convey in text...Or to phrase it differently guys I was just taking the piss.

Oh and Bornadog I've heard that phrased as "believe none of what you hear and half of what you see"

Indeed. Especially when it's a fairly serious discussion over an issue many of us (I'm sure you included) are quite passionate about.

But I get the joke now.

LostDoggy
11-08-2011, 10:36 PM
If he was staying he would of said so by now.

immortalmike
11-08-2011, 10:59 PM
Indeed. Especially when it's a fairly serious discussion over an issue many of us (I'm sure you included) are quite passionate about.

But I get the joke now.

Just trying to add a little levity to the arguments and hand-wringing.

But seriously I love the way Callan plays but I'm not sure whether we are better off with him going and us taking the draft picks. Especially considering we have Libba and Wallis as inside mids waiting in the wings (and I can't see Boyd or Cross retiring any time soon). The only caveat to that is that the draft is no guarantee and we already a very good player in Wardy.

As for whether he's staying or leaving, well the silence is a bit deafening but only Callan knows I suspect. I have a slight feeling he may yet stay but it is only that, a feeling.

Greystache
11-08-2011, 11:07 PM
We really need a sarcasm emoticon

comrade
11-08-2011, 11:24 PM
We really need a sarcasm emoticon

http://i51.tinypic.com/16jihl0.gif

Greystache
12-08-2011, 12:09 AM
http://i51.tinypic.com/16jihl0.gif
Perfect, now can you get it loaded onto the sidebar?

LostDoggy
12-08-2011, 12:35 AM
You can take it however you want, it's not a criticism, I was merely saying that you may or may not know something that Immortal Mike doesn't.

Out of all the people who would actually know whether Callan is truly staying or going I would say that it is very unlikely that you actually do. If you were his brother or best friend I would be inclined, but you talk about a contact, who may not be close to him. So there is some doubt.

That's all and it's based on the law of averages, I'm not challenging your integrity.

I see your point mate and agree

cinder
12-08-2011, 12:45 PM
It's harder for them to do 2 but look at Brisbane with Brennan and Rischitelli last year. If they convince Wood to go, I think we are in trouble. I do think Easton will stay but the 1 player thing isn't that reliable.

That's crap!!

Sockeye Salmon
12-08-2011, 12:47 PM
That's crap!!

What is?

Brennan and Rischitelli really do both now play for Gold Coast.

cinder
12-08-2011, 02:01 PM
No, that they can get more than 1 uncontracted player. Crap as in, it sucks...

divvydan
12-08-2011, 03:02 PM
They can only get a second player if the club agrees to release that player.

Murphy'sLore
12-08-2011, 03:06 PM

Well that ain't gonna happen.

The Coon Dog
12-08-2011, 03:44 PM

No so much agrees to release the player, more so what is offered up as part of a trade.

Lets say for arguments sake Callan Ward leaves & Easton Wood is out of contract. GWS can offer us something in return for Easton Wood. Obviously it would have to be something we agree with if he went there.

divvydan
12-08-2011, 03:49 PM
Right, no sane club would just allow the player to leave for nothing if they had a say in it.

G-Mo77
12-08-2011, 09:43 PM
Right, no sane club would just allow the player to leave for nothing if they had a say in it.

Depends on the circumstances.

Mofra
13-08-2011, 05:42 PM
Given that his own sisters didn't know what he was going to do as of 2 weeks ago (first hand info), I'd take any definitive statement either way with a grain of salt.

LostDoggy
17-08-2011, 08:28 PM
Please Callan Ward after todays axeing lift our sprits and sign

AndrewP6
17-08-2011, 09:51 PM
Gone. After today, any shred of confidence I had is gone. Like Ward. Gone. :(

westdog54
18-08-2011, 12:14 AM
If I could change my vote, I would.

LostDoggy
18-08-2011, 12:21 AM
After feeling flat today I wish Ward would just be honest and move on so that the club can get on with business.

cinder
18-08-2011, 10:37 AM
Yeah. Put us out of our misery already ...

Curly5
18-08-2011, 11:53 AM
Maybe we should appoint a new coach asap and his first job will be to convince Callan to stay.

The Underdog
18-08-2011, 12:15 PM
Maybe we should appoint a new coach asap and his first job will be to convince Callan to stay.

Realistically most of the potential appointees will be coaching finals teams so they won't be available for at least 4 weeks. We need to be patient.

Greystache
18-08-2011, 01:14 PM
Realistically most of the potential appointees will be coaching finals teams so they won't be available for at least 4 weeks. We need to be patient.

Brad Scott signed on with Norf just as Collingwood were about to enter a finals campaign.

LostDoggy
18-08-2011, 02:25 PM
Eade leaving is not a good thing for Callan

The Pie Man
18-08-2011, 03:15 PM
No idea how true this may be - part of the article from the attached is below. Along with Murph extra 2 years, it would be some welcome news in a bleak 24 hours if correct

http://www.sportsnewsfirst.com.au/articles/2011/08/17/gws-giants-have-their-big-guns/

Exciting Western Bulldogs on-baller and handy goal-scoring forward Callan Ward is another who is continues to be linked with a switch to GWS the longer he fails to commit to staying at Whitten Oval in Melbourne’s western suburbs.

Ward, 21, is believed to be in final stages of negotiations with Dogs management with an offer believed to be approaching that which GWS put to the classy on-baller months ago.

It appears that if Ward is offered anything approaching the GWS deal the product of Williamstown and the local Bulldogs development district is likely to stay in Melbourne and reject the move to western Sydney.

While Ward appears more likely to stay at home the Giants also appear to be out of the running to win Collingwood pin-up boy Dale Thomas.

w3design
18-08-2011, 03:54 PM
I don't know how true this is but according to the usual 'friend of a friend' with strong links to the Jets, Callan was seen as likely to.... STAY.

chef
18-08-2011, 06:37 PM
That would be unbelievable if true and something that would be talked about for generations.

EasternWest
18-08-2011, 06:39 PM
That would be unbelievable if true and something that would be talked about for generations.

Chef I'm pinching your sig. I dig it.

chef
18-08-2011, 06:46 PM
Chef I'm pinching your sig. I dig it.

That's cool.

Kretiukwasking
18-08-2011, 06:49 PM
I don't know how true this is but according to the usual 'friend of a friend' with strong links to the Jets, Callan was seen as likely to.... STAY.

Everything my family has is crossed......fingers, toes.....arms

The Bulldogs Bite
18-08-2011, 07:10 PM
If Ward stays, my faith is somewhat restored in the game of AFL.

Drunken Bum
18-08-2011, 10:15 PM
Ward, 21, is believed to be in final stages of negotiations with Dogs management with an offer believed to be approaching that which GWS put to the classy on-baller months ago.

It appears that if Ward is offered anything approaching the GWS deal the product of Williamstown and the local Bulldogs development district is likely to stay in Melbourne and reject the move to western Sydney.

I love Ward and don't want him to go but if this is true i wouldn't be happy.
How can we offer anything near to what GWS is and justify it? We will just lose another required player this year or next when there is no room in the cap to pay them and get nowhere near the compensation we deserve for them no doubt, whereas if we do lose Ward there is talk of us getting two first rounders which many would consider to be overs.
We can't afford to blow our cap out in a bidding war with GWS, it's insanity of the highest order and will come back to bite us on the arse big time i fear.
Sure in this situation we have to offer more than what Ward is really worth to keep him but there has to be a limit on that, put our best offer to him and then he decides whether he takes it or not, simple. If we keep raising our bid because he hasn't re-signed(which he has stated he wouldn't do til the end of the year afaik) we are asking for trouble.

ledge
18-08-2011, 10:55 PM
I love Ward and don't want him to go but if this is true i wouldn't be happy.
How can we offer anything near to what GWS is and justify it? We will just lose another required player this year or next when there is no room in the cap to pay them and get nowhere near the compensation we deserve for them no doubt, whereas if we do lose Ward there is talk of us getting two first rounders which many would consider to be overs.
We can't afford to blow our cap out in a bidding war with GWS, it's insanity of the highest order and will come back to bite us on the arse big time i fear.
Sure in this situation we have to offer more than what Ward is really worth to keep him but there has to be a limit on that, put our best offer to him and then he decides whether he takes it or not, simple. If we keep raising our bid because he hasn't re-signed(which he has stated he wouldn't do til the end of the year afaik) we are asking for trouble.

I am not saying this is true but if Lake has said he wants out that would release a lot of money.