PDA

View Full Version : Coons on The Footy Show

AndrewP6
14-07-2011, 10:39 PM
Panel member for tonight, should be good for a laugh or two.

G-Mo77
14-07-2011, 11:55 PM
I owe myself not to sit through hours of garbage to see what Coons has to say.

What did he say BTW? :)

AndrewP6
15-07-2011, 12:01 AM
Hasn't had a great deal, much of the attention given to Mick Malthouse interview. Did say the knee was ongoing, how valued Briza is. Not much really.

Dry Rot
15-07-2011, 12:54 AM
What was the Malthouse interview about?

AndrewP6
15-07-2011, 01:02 AM
What was the Malthouse interview about?

All about whether he is going to stay on as "Director Of Coaching". Sam asked if he could say "unequivocally" whether he'd stay on, and MM was less than convincing in his response. He said that 'both parties' had to come to agreement on the role he'd play. Talked about having passion for the game, and that you can't just turn that on and off. Wife and kids wanted him to stop coaching, but he wants to continue. One good quote was "You can't stay out of coaching too long"

Sam asked numerous times, MM pretty much refused to say he'd definitely be staying at Collingwood. The plot thickens...

Dry Rot
15-07-2011, 01:22 AM
All about whether he is going to stay on as "Director Of Coaching". Sam asked if he could say "unequivocally" whether he'd stay on, and MM was less than convincing in his response. He said that 'both parties' had to come to agreement on the role he'd play. Talked about having passion for the game, and that you can't just turn that on and off. Wife and kids wanted him to stop coaching, but he wants to continue. One good quote was "You can't stay out of coaching too long"

Sam asked numerous times, MM pretty much refused to say he'd definitely be staying at Collingwood. The plot thickens...

Interesting. Thanks.

Love to see him back at where he started coaching next year.

the banker
15-07-2011, 07:38 AM
Interesting. Thanks.

That will not happen. One would think Carlton and Melbourne are the best fit.

chef
15-07-2011, 08:49 AM
That will not happen. One would think Carlton and Melbourne are the best fit.

I expect him to at least do 12 months at Collingwood as director of coaching before getting another senior gig elsewhere, Richmond would then be a perfect fit.

Jasper
15-07-2011, 10:33 AM
I expect him to at least do 12 months at Collingwood as director of coaching before getting another senior gig elsewhere, Richmond would then be a perfect fit.

Hardwick is going nowhere.
One of the best young coaches going around.
As Martin, Cotchin, Deledio, Riewoldt etc continue to develop they will become a finals team by 2012-2013.

The coaching landscape in a years time could be very different than it is now.
Compare Rocket and Ross Lyon now to a year ago.

mjp
15-07-2011, 11:30 AM
As Martin, Cotchin, Deledio, Riewoldt etc continue to develop they will become a finals team by 2012-2013.

The development of a few top 10 (top 5!) picks isn't really evidence of Hardwick's credentials...I am not sure we have any idea whether or not he can coach or not yet. He gets a massive free-pass for mine at the moment - are Richmond REALLY better than when Wallace was in charge? Despite the new facility and increased footy department spending, Essendon still kick 10-consecutive goals against them...

What is the difference between Hardwick and Bailey right now? One season and a contract!

bornadog
15-07-2011, 11:39 AM
Interesting. Thanks.

No thank you, haven't forgiven him the way he treated the dogs in 1989

LostDoggy
15-07-2011, 12:51 PM
The development of a few top 10 (top 5!) picks isn't really evidence of Hardwick's credentials...I am not sure we have any idea whether or not he can coach or not yet. He gets a massive free-pass for mine at the moment - are Richmond REALLY better than when Wallace was in charge? Despite the new facility and increased footy department spending, Essendon still kick 10-consecutive goals against them...

What is the difference between Hardwick and Bailey right now? One season and a contract!

And the Eagles laid on 100 points in little more than a quarter against us. Nobody with any credibility says Rocket isn't a good coach.

Danny the snakeman
15-07-2011, 04:04 PM
Not sure why they have players on the footy show these days,they never really say anything besides a quick tip,Besides street talk its getting boring.

LostDoggy
15-07-2011, 04:12 PM
Not sure why they have players on the footy show these days,they never really say anything besides a quick tip,Besides street talk its getting boring.

I thought Cooney was quite funny with a few little lines here and there, and Cox said plenty.

chef
15-07-2011, 06:28 PM

The coaching landscape in a years time could be very different than it is now.
Compare Rocket and Ross Lyon now to a year ago.

If they got to choose between the two who do you think they would take?

Bulldog Revolution
15-07-2011, 09:29 PM

I've said to Richmond mates that actually some of Hardwicks work in the past two years has made Wallace look good, but they are all very happy with the direction

I get that Hardwick has sold the place on his vision, and presents well, but the jury is out on whether he can coach and develop a competitive team

So basically its all perception - coaches largely live and die on the back of their players

mjp
15-07-2011, 11:14 PM
Hardwick might or might not be a great coach - but we just don't know yet and nothing aside from wins is going to prove it. With the Bailey, Eade and Ratten situations to be resolved at year end - and with Worsfold seemingly off the hook now only Craig will be a sitting coach who is 'in trouble'...therefore the 2012 microscope will swing to Hardwick in his 3rd year...with the spectre of Malthouse - who said this week he feels more a Richmond person than a Collingwood or West Coast person (he never mentioned us) - hanging over him.

Basically, development or not, Hardwick would want to win more than a handful of games in 2012.

Remi Moses
15-07-2011, 11:56 PM
Wallace gets off lightly. No decent players in their mid 20's, poor recruiting in 04( 5 picks in the top 20) all gone bar Deledio. Hardwick's going to get some time before a comclusion on his coaching credentials! Bailey just can't get the best out of his squad, just to flakey,poor gameplan. Do Melbourne sack Bailey,and hope Mick takes over next season?

jeemak
16-07-2011, 01:38 AM

Street Talk is the most cringeworthy aspect of the show. Except for the pantomime that is the interplay between Lyon, Bradshaw and Newman.

I would prefer the club didn't put players on there after the way Campbell Rose was treated during the Aker saga, and the way the club has been talked about on the show since. But, obviously the reality of the situation suggests it's publicity the club can't turn away.

stefoid
16-07-2011, 10:06 AM
Did he say anything about his knee that we dont know?

AndrewP6
16-07-2011, 10:28 AM
Did he say anything about his knee that we dont know?

No, just that he'll probably never be pain free.