PDA

View Full Version : Ian Collins says Carlton's salary cap penalties were too hard

Doc26
15-07-2011, 11:15 AM
Although Collins is not at the helm anymore I didn't want this article to escape comment as it just smacks of hypocrisy from a Club that continues to thwart the system by pushing the limits of fair play with dubious 3rd party payments. This from a mob that cheated to achieve something we've been fighting honourably and with minimal resources to achieve for 60+ years.

For me, this is one man who totally pushes what's reasonable with adhering to the passage 'Love Thy Neighbour'.

From Wednesday's HUN:

Carlton's salary cap penalties were too hard

FORMER Carlton president Ian Collins says the salary cap penalties handed to the Blues set the club back a decade.
Etihad Stadium boss Collins said the penalties for cheating were manifestly excessive and on the "whim of the (AFL) commission".

He said the AFL had applied double standards to salary cap breaches, implying the Blues were hit with the big stick and others clubs flogged with a wet lettuce.

"At the time I said it would cost 10 years, and it's basically nearly 10 years. When you look at it, it did what the (AFL) set out to do," he told SuperFooty's Front & Square.

Asked if the penalties were too harsh, he replied: "Yes, and I think they would agree with that."

The Blues were fined $930,000 and lost a slew of draft picks for payments to Fraser Brown and Stephen O'Reilly and agreements to pay Craig Bradley and Stephen Silvagni.

"It was not of our doing but we had to manage something that was rather difficult," Collins said.

"No money, no players ... coaches sacked who hadn't been paid. And of course the AFL's bloody-mindedness about the severity of the fine, and the draft choices being taken. We had to go through a period of trying to reduce player payments because we couldn't afford them and also try to keep players playing when probably their use-by-date had gone. Not being able to regenerate the list was terribly difficult."

Brisbane was recently fined $21,630 for administrative errors with its salary cap, and Collins says there have often been different rules for different clubs.

"There's always breaches. Some will be treated as minor, some will be treated as very serious," he said.

"It depends on the whim of the commission at the time.

"I think there is no doubt there was a different mindset when they attacked Carlton.

"The (AFL) want a levelling of the playing field, but it's never been level.

"Brisbane and Sydney always had advantages under the salary cap in my time. That's been going on forever and a day.

"They are now doing it with Greater Western Sydney and the Gold Coast, they still have advantages. The draft is not pure. We've got the new team coming in. Those teams struggling at the bottom of the ladder are not going to be able to pick up good players right now."

The Coon Dog
15-07-2011, 11:18 AM
He's a shocking bloke, isn't he?

LostDoggy
15-07-2011, 11:30 AM
...... I actually hate him.

LostDoggy
15-07-2011, 11:46 AM
Etihad Stadium boss Collins said the penalties for cheating were manifestly excessive and on the "whim of the (AFL) commission".

Others have suffered at your whim Ian. It's called karma.

Scraggers
15-07-2011, 11:47 AM
I have an idea ... How about you hand back the 1995 Premiership and then we'll talk about appropriate punishments !! :rolleyes:

LostDoggy
15-07-2011, 12:49 PM
I have an idea ... How about you hand back the 1995 Premiership and then we'll talk about appropriate punishments !! :rolleyes:

This.

Complete lack of perspective outside of his private school entitlement mentality. Classic Carlton, of course.

LostDoggy
15-07-2011, 01:24 PM
Good thing Judd is the ambassador for Visty (a carlton sponsor) now a days so he can collect a decent paycheck. Off the Carlton books of course.

LostDoggy
15-07-2011, 02:20 PM
If you really are looking for some fun reading, there was an article a couple of days ago where Collins said Grant should have got 3 weeks. Great stuff.
Compare carlton's penalties to the Storm and they really look quite nice

LostDoggy
15-07-2011, 03:03 PM
You know what? Judd getting $200k a year extra is almost worth it for the look on the face of a Carlton scumbag when you shout “Cheater!” in his face.

Cheats and cowards always know they're cheats and cowards.

EDIT TO SAVE MULTIPLE POSTS:

Just saw this on the Hun website:

Should Chris Judd's Visy deal be included in Carlton's salary cap?
Yes
78.81%
(4719 votes)
No
21.19%
(1269 votes)

Good analytics for the Herald Sun, they now know that 21.19% of their readers are Carlton fans.
Total votes: 5988

Remi Moses
15-07-2011, 03:14 PM
They just don't get it!
Systematically cheated then he says it's to harsh.
Bit like someone getting a suspended sentence then going out and committing the same crime! Go away you corrupt fossil

AndrewP6
15-07-2011, 03:26 PM
I read this the other day and nearly swore in Gloria Jean's! Death by flogging would've been too harsh....but only just.

Before I Die
15-07-2011, 04:07 PM
If you really are looking for some fun reading, there was an article a couple of days ago where Collins said Grant should have got 3 weeks. Great stuff.
Compare carlton's penalties to the Storm and they really look quite nice

The only man I despise more than John Elliott

Link to the article shifty is referring to (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/hawthorn-midfielder-sam-mitchell-faces-same-brownlow-medal-heartache-as-chris-grant/story-e6frf9jf-1226092651750)

LostDoggy
15-07-2011, 04:09 PM

Others have suffered at your whim Ian. It's called karma.

Oh yeah, I do love that Karma Bus.....

LostDoggy
15-07-2011, 04:22 PM
It'll come Collins, and i hope it comes hard and drawn out.

chef
15-07-2011, 05:31 PM
...... I actually hate him.

I think we all do.

Dancin' Douggy
15-07-2011, 06:23 PM
Ooh I simply loathe the prick.
UP YOURS COLLINS YOU SLIMY VILE CREEP!!!!

Hope you choke on Judds' ........well, use your imagination

LostDoggy
15-07-2011, 06:28 PM
The only man I despise more than John Elliott

Link to the article shifty is referring to (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/hawthorn-midfielder-sam-mitchell-faces-same-brownlow-medal-heartache-as-chris-grant/story-e6frf9jf-1226092651750)

My ex-girlfriend works at Etihad, and every time I went to pick her up I used to delight in filling out one of those little feedback survey form thingies they have floating around up in Level 2. I used to write “Ian Collins is a <word not for this forum>” and slip it into the box.

Did it maybe 120 times, and I doubt they ever reached him, but the joy of doing it was its own reward.

angelopetraglia
15-07-2011, 06:56 PM
Even putting the Chris Grant situation to one side. Ian Collins just isn't a nice bloke. So arrogant and full of himself, can't actually believe he thought he was next inline for the CEO gig at the AFL.

LostDoggy
16-07-2011, 05:42 PM
Even putting the Chris Grant situation to one side. Ian Collins just isn't a nice bloke. So arrogant and full of himself, can't actually believe he thought he was next inline for the CEO gig at the AFL.

Which probably tells you more about the AFL than anything else.

ratsmac
17-07-2011, 12:00 AM
Ian Collins can S.... my hairy b....