PDA

View Full Version : Another betting scandal

LostDoggy
15-07-2011, 03:23 PM
The AFL have announced a decision on anti-gambling at 3:45 today. I heard through the rumour mill (3AW, Twitter, etc) that AFL are looking at Heath Shaw from Collingwood for placing a first-goal bet.

Only rumours of course, no claim of fact in anything I heard.

This one keeps rearing its ugly head, and with the AFL already “concerned” with gambling advertising at venues and on TV during AFL matches, this issue is going to be alive for a long time yet.

UPDATE: Sorry to quote a "Kero" Wilson article, but here's the Age writeup on it so far:

A high profile AFL player has been embroiled in a betting scandal.
AFL football operations manager Adrian Anderson was to reveale details of the player and his gambling offence at 3.45 pm at league headquarters.
Collingwood is expected to hold a press conference shortly afterwards at the Westpac Centre.
Advertisement: Story continues below
The revelation of the gambling breach set senior AFL officials into a flurry earlier today with a number of meetings cancelled and a hastily-arranged media annoucenment put together at lunch time.
AFL footballers are banned from gambling on football as are AFL and club officials.
More to come

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/player-embroiled-in-betting-scandal-20110715-1hhe1.html#ixzz1S9Gyf1UD

Scraggers
15-07-2011, 03:52 PM
HEATH Shaw is set to be suspended for betting on a Collingwood game.

The Herald Sun believes the breach relates to Shaw betting on Nick Maxwell kicking the first goal in the Round 9 match against Adelaide.

Maxwell, known as a defender, started the game in the forward line.

The AFL has called a media conference for 3.45pm.

The league says AFL operations manager Adrian Anderson will detail a decision relating to player rules about anti-gambling.

Herald Sun Article ... (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/player-to-be-suspended-over-gambling/story-e6frf9io-1226095377169)

Scraggers
15-07-2011, 03:54 PM
Suspended for 14 weeks ... six of which are suspended

Stupid boy !!

Daughter of the West
15-07-2011, 03:57 PM

Stupid boy !!

All for what, a $10 or $15 bet? Silly, silly, silly boy :rolleyes:

AndrewP6
15-07-2011, 03:59 PM
Just heard this from a mate...the big dumb oaf.

Greystache
15-07-2011, 04:00 PM

Stupid boy !!

Where did you hear 6 matches were suspended? The announcement said he couldn't play anywhere for 8 weeks, I took that as meaning he can play in the VFL for the last 6 matches.

Edit- the HS has just updated the verdict.

OLD SCRAGGer
15-07-2011, 04:05 PM
Heath Shaw suspended for 14 weeks (6 suspended) for gambling!!!! :eek: & fined $20,000

Scraggers
15-07-2011, 04:10 PM
Where did you hear 6 matches were suspended? The announcement said he couldn't play anywhere for 8 weeks, I took that as meaning he can play in the VFL for the last 6 matches.

Edit- the HS has just updated the verdict.

AFL website ... I haven't heard the ammount of the bet though :p

Scraggers
15-07-2011, 04:13 PM
Heath Shaw suspended for 14 weeks (6 suspended) for gambling!!!! :eek: & fined $20,000

I just merged this thread with the other one already started :)

Greystache
15-07-2011, 04:13 PM
AFL website ... I haven't heard the ammount of the bet though :p

Collingwood are holding a press conference at 4.45 to provide details. The HS alluded to the bets being very small, so Collingwood being Collingwood, they'll focus on it being minor.

The Nick Maxwell family bet was said to be $85.

8 weeks is not enough, 14 would have been reasonable.

Scraggers
15-07-2011, 04:19 PM
Collingwood are holding a press conference at 4.45 to provide details. The HS alluded to the bets being very small, so Collingwood being Collingwood, they'll focus on it being minor.

From the AFL website :-

Heath Shaw - Collingwood player
In relation to three offences, Collingwood player Heath Shaw has been suspended for 14 matches, with six matches of this sanction suspended. Shaw was also fined $20,000. He will not be able to play at any level until the conclusion of round 24 of the 2011 Toyota AFL Premiership Season.

On 21 May 2011, player Shaw shared $10 in a $20 cash bet with a friend on Nick Maxwell to kick the first goal of the round nine match between Collingwood and the Adelaide Crows, played at Etihad Stadium on Sunday May 22. The bet was placed at odds of $101.

On the same day, Shaw passed on inside information to two people that team mate Nick Maxwell would start the match up forward, instead of his usual role in defence. This information led to the placing of three cash bets totalling $25 on Nick Maxwell to kick the first goal, also at odds of $101.

Maxwell was backed in from $101 to $26 to kick the first goal of the game (He did not kick the first goal of the match).

The Underdog
15-07-2011, 04:20 PM

Yes but the finals are in 8 weeks.
And on that...
How the hell is he allowed back for the finals, especially with his history?

Oh and what a tool.

LostDoggy
15-07-2011, 04:22 PM
OMG - I wonder when the message will get through? Does the status of being an AFL player somehow make these young men think they are above the rules/law? It's not like they don't get told......

Scraggers
15-07-2011, 04:22 PM
Again from the AFL Website

Nick Maxwell - Collingwood player

Collingwood player Nick Maxwell has been sanctioned $5000, with a further $5000 suspended for recklessly disclosing inside information, being information that he would start the match as a forward in the round nine match between Collingwood and the Adelaide Crows.

Player Maxwell had discussed this with his family in the lead-up to the match

Maxwell's actions were reckless in that while he regularly discussed inside information relating to tactics with his family, he admitted never discussing with them the need to keep this information confidential, or the fact that this information should not be used for betting purposes.

The disclosure of the information by Maxwell led to three account bets totalling $85 being placed by his family members on Maxwell to kick the first goal of the match.

Greystache
15-07-2011, 04:23 PM
And on that...

Oh and what a tool.

Surely the suspension of a portion of his penalty to coincide with the start of the finals is merely a co-incidence :rolleyes:

LostDoggy
15-07-2011, 04:24 PM
Surely the suspension of a portion of his penalty to coincide with the start of the finals is merely a co-incidence :rolleyes:

Um, if you believe in Karma then you know there is no such thing as a co-incidence........LOL!

DragzLS1
15-07-2011, 04:38 PM
as if he couldnt get a mate to put the bet on for him! He didnt get the bet anyway I think cloke was the first goal kicker lol so thats just stupid!

Before I Die
15-07-2011, 04:47 PM
as if he couldnt get a mate to put the bet on for him! He didnt get the bet anyway I think cloke was the first goal kicker lol so thats just stupid!

Heath Shaw's uncle, Tony Shaw, told 3AW a short time ago: "Heath knows the rules. The penalty pretty is severe but he has done something stupid.”

"On the positive I guess there's plenty of time to freshen up for finals."

Tony Shaw did question, however, how such small bets could cause Maxwell's price go from more than 100-1 for 'first goal' to 25-1.

"The only reason Heath got caught was he was seen on CCTV in the TAB. There must've been plenty of other bets that day?"

The above is an excerpt from the Caroline Wilson article.

LostDoggy
15-07-2011, 05:03 PM
What a muppet! Shaw-ly Heath is on his last legs at that club..

Maxwell didn't expect his family to use the 'Im playing forward' knowledge to place a bet. Something discussed weekly you would assume over the dinner table, but they would know they can't use that info to bet on, come on.

Jasper
15-07-2011, 05:20 PM
Rome burns while Nero fiddles.

It's every man for himself down at the Westpac Centre.
Mick's running his own agenda, Eddie's lost control of the messaging to the media.
It's a glimmer of hope for the rest of the competition.
Maybe no one can beat them other than themselves

ledge
15-07-2011, 05:31 PM
Maxwells only involvement seems to be he was the one bet on by Shaw and no proof he knew about it.
And the other, he told his family, no problem there either.
So obviously apart from the Shaw bet his family bet too.
Thoughts..
If what Maxwell said is true I feel sorry for him, I tend to think it wouldnt have been a first though, just the first he got caught on, then pleads innocent.
Maxwell probably hard done by though going on evidence, but I do understand the AFLs reasoning.
Shaw?? Tool of the century!

angelopetraglia
15-07-2011, 05:35 PM
The stupidity of footballers continues to amaze me.

However, the AFL has to take some responsibilty in all this. The promotion of gambling in AFL is disgraceful at the moment. It is all over thier own website, commentators mention it every 2nd sentence, the live worm and ground announcer with the Betfair odds at Etihad, teams are sponsored by betting houses. It has to stop. This gambling on football is taking our beloved game down the wrong path.

Sockeye Salmon
15-07-2011, 05:38 PM
This gambling on football is taking our beloved game down the wrong path.

The AFL is taking the game down the wrong path. Gambling is just another way they're doing it.

1eyedog
15-07-2011, 06:12 PM

Mick's running his own agenda, Eddie's lost control of the messaging to the media.

Who cares? Not Collingwood if they win the Grand Final and that's pretty likely.

I think your clutching at straws.

1eyedog
15-07-2011, 06:13 PM
The AFL is taking the game down the wrong path. Gambling is just another way they're doing it.

Gambling has been in vogue as long as sports have.

LostDoggy
15-07-2011, 06:23 PM
And on that...

Oh and what a tool.

Um, if you believe in Karma then you know there is no such thing as a co-incidence........LOL!

Come on guys, how are Collingwood going to go back-to-back without one of their best defenders? Surely that's more important than keeping any kind of integrity in the sport? Oh sure, other sports may laugh at us because a player caught betting on the game only got 2 months instead of a year, but think about all the cash we're going to get when the ferals go two-up!!

DOG GOD
15-07-2011, 06:24 PM
Shaw is a dickead of the highest order...sucked into him :)

angelopetraglia
15-07-2011, 06:42 PM
Gambling has been in vogue as long as sports have.

Agree. But it has never been endorsed and promoted like it is now. When I was growing up and falling in love with the game, I didn't think about match odds or punting on who would kick the first goal. That type of thinking was foreign to the game. If you wanted a punt you went to the horse racing.

Now you have young children (younger than 10) who are talking about the odds. It is wrong.

chef
15-07-2011, 06:44 PM
Agree. But it has never been endorsed and promoted like it is now. When I was growing up and falling in love with the game, I didn't think about match odds or punting on who would kick the first goal. That type of thinking was foreign to the game. If you wanted a punt you went to the horse racing.

Now you have young children (younger than 10) who are talking about the odds. It is wrong.

This.

Dancin' Douggy
15-07-2011, 07:08 PM
There's probably a by law allowing Judd to gamble

comrade
15-07-2011, 07:08 PM
What a dip****! Does he not care about my SC backline?

Greystache
15-07-2011, 07:12 PM
Having thought about it further, would it not make sense to rub him out for 7 weeks and suspend the other 7 matches. That way he could then play heads or tails with the AFL double or nothing!

1eyedog
15-07-2011, 07:13 PM

It's just a matter of scale. I understand and I don't bet myself but it's the 21st century. You talk about betting you talk about everything else that's wrong with the world. Blame the internet and globalisation.

But I agree doesn't make it right.

Remi Moses
15-07-2011, 07:20 PM
I thought Heath was on his last chance?
After the driving debacle with Didak a few years back!
Silly Boy, betting is in saturation mode right now and it's got a stench about it!

Flamethrower
15-07-2011, 07:20 PM
Players who bet on games in which they are playing should be suspended for life, as there is always the chance that a game or event (such as first goalkicker) could have been compromised or fixed.

FrediKanoute
15-07-2011, 08:41 PM
Players who bet on games in which they are playing should be suspended for life, as there is always the chance that a game or event (such as first goalkicker) could have been compromised or fixed.

This I agree with. How different is it to bowling a deliberate no ball, or giving pitch information? On the spectrum it is probably not as bad as bowling the no ball, but definitely worse than the pitch information.

aker39
15-07-2011, 08:47 PM

Patrick Smith would call it hubris.

Sedat
15-07-2011, 08:49 PM
But think about all those dollars filling the AFL coffers? Surely that overrides all other considerations, like the integrity of the game :rolleyes:

Some goal umpires and time keepers got 12 month bans for very similar offences, none of which were suspended. This 'penalty' is a wet lettuce leaf.

LostDoggy
15-07-2011, 09:17 PM
I like the Uncle's comment: "on the positive side, plenty of time to freshen up for finals."

Mmmm. Not sure the message will ever get through to those folk.

AndrewP6
15-07-2011, 09:54 PM
Some goal umpires and time keepers got 12 month bans for very similar offences, none of which were suspended. This 'penalty' is a wet lettuce leaf.

Agree with this, I can't believe Maxwell only got a fine (the amount of which would be a drop in the ocean for most of these blokes). Talk about double standards.

LostDoggy
15-07-2011, 11:42 PM
Just an observation. I don't know if I'm thinking too much here?
I noticed a few weeks back when Sherman held his press conference that the dogs 'back drop' was the normal sponsor ridden back drop for any interview or press conference and Sherman had on the normal team polo with mission etc on it. I thought to myself that isn't a good advertisment for the sponsors of our club. However today during the Magpie press conference where their 'bad' news was delivered, there were no sponsor boards or team uniforms with the sponsors on them anywhere to be seen.
I just think that was smart on their part.

Also, if anyone can help me understand Maxwells involvement in this?
If he was innocent then why was he fined? and if he was involved why such a light penalty?

AndrewP6
15-07-2011, 11:53 PM
Also, if anyone can help me understand Maxwells involvement in this?
If he was innocent then why was he fined? and if he was involved why such a light penalty?

Apparently the AFL Integrity 'Laws' (don't know if that's what they're called), forbids players from disclosing information that can be used for betting. Maxwell, when making the comments, didn't add a "Don't use this for betting" disclaimer. I think that's it, he knew the rules and that he shouldn't have made the remarks.

As for the wet lettuce penalty, I have no idea. IMO he should've lost the captaincy.

Ghost Dog
16-07-2011, 02:42 AM
The stupidity of footballers continues to amaze me.

However, the AFL has to take some responsibilty in all this. The promotion of gambling in AFL is disgraceful at the moment. It is all over thier own website, commentators mention it every 2nd sentence, the live worm and ground announcer with the Betfair odds at Etihad, teams are sponsored by betting houses. It has to stop. This gambling on football is taking our beloved game down the wrong path.

Alot of people are not happy about it. At the Demons Bulldogs game, a lot of supporters of all colours were having a gripe together in agreement about it whenever the odds came up on screen.

Australians lose more in gambling monies per capita than any other nation. Ireland second!

Desipura
16-07-2011, 06:50 AM
Yet they don't advertise cigarettes as it is unhealthy, hmmm

BulldogBelle
16-07-2011, 08:02 AM
Alot of people are not happy about it. At the Demons Bulldogs game, a lot of supporters of all colours were having a gripe together in agreement about it whenever the odds came up on screen.

Australians lose more in gambling monies per capita than any other nation. Ireland second!

Its not enough for the odd or the worm to come up on the big screen at every opportunity, but printed next to the team lists in the Herald-Scum the odds are included alongside the broadcast information...

There are a huge amount of betting ads on television, and even during programs like Sports Tonight, the Snake Oil salesmen from betfair and the likes even appear as part of the program...

On another note, I'm sure these betting companies rubbed their hands together gleefully when Ricky "Punter" Ponting came on the scene, a cricketer who openly glorified the habit of loosing money to them.

BulldogBelle
16-07-2011, 08:06 AM
I like the Uncle's comment: "on the positive side, plenty of time to freshen up for finals."

Mmmm. Not sure the message will ever get through to those folk.

Just another example of how the AFL will do everything in their power to ensure Collingwood make the GF again...

LostDoggy
16-07-2011, 10:07 AM
Will Shaw have an effective finals series though, without 8 weeks of match practice? Note he's not allowed to play at any level. I still think though, that he should be banned for a year.

Maxwell only deserved a fine, I agree with that one. All he did was tell his family he'd be playing up forward. He didn't know they'd lay a bet, and it's not his fault his family are terminably stupid.

If it was Adam Cooney, would we feel the same way? I think I would.

Topdog
16-07-2011, 10:18 AM
Heath probably should have been given a year seeing as the goal umpire got that much.

Other than that I think the AFL have handled it pretty well.

Tony Shaw should get a clue before commenting on the story though.

AndrewP6
16-07-2011, 10:50 AM
Will Shaw have an effective finals series though, without 8 weeks of match practice? Note he's not allowed to play at any level. I still think though, that he should be banned for a year.

Maxwell only deserved a fine, I agree with that one. All he did was tell his family he'd be playing up forward. He didn't know they'd lay a bet, and it's not his fault his family are terminably stupid.

If it was Adam Cooney, would we feel the same way? I think I would.

But he did know about the AFL's rules, and that he needed to tell them not to use the info. to gamble (yes, I know, it's stupid). He got off lightly, IMO.

Drunken Bum
16-07-2011, 03:30 PM
But he did know about the AFL's rules, and that he needed to tell them not to use the info. to gamble (yes, I know, it's stupid). He got off lightly, IMO.

Oh come on, are you serious? A bit of perspective people, it isn't like they are spies dealing with national secrets and stuff, it's a footballer telling his family "cool i might play forward this week for a change" Get off your high horse.

aker39
16-07-2011, 03:49 PM
Oh come on, are you serious? A bit of perspective people, it isn't like they are spies dealing with national secrets and stuff, it's a footballer telling his family "cool i might play forward this week for a change" Get off your high horse.

I agree.

Nice lamb roast mum. By the way dad I'm starting forward this week.

Ghost Dog
16-07-2011, 04:00 PM
I've read a fair bit about Maxwell in the past. He wasn't made captain for nothing. Straight as a Shaw is crooked. Heath Shaw, well, even Collingwood fans don't seem surprised.

Ghost Dog
16-07-2011, 04:04 PM
Nice article from Silverster

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/having-a-punt-has-a-long-inside-story-20110715-1hi0a.html

azabob
16-07-2011, 04:19 PM

I went to an NBA game last year.

I was pleasantly surprised that I didn't see adverts for betting odds during the game. Im unsure if this was a once off as the game was billed as "kids day".

Further to that point, kids who attend AFL games or even watch them on TV will grow up thinking it is "normal behaviour" to gamble on the outcome of the game rather than perhaps thinking it is a choice.

ledge
16-07-2011, 04:57 PM
AFL hypocrites... push that players or anyone associated with them cant bet but promote it at every opportunity.
Gambling is only a problem if it puts their game in question.
But anyone else go ahead and become addicted and become one on AFL game.
Heres the scenario, the AFL cant make money on drugs so its bad for peoples health and families we are all against it but mmmm gambling oh its bad but we can make money on it so thats okay to destroy families.

LostDoggy
16-07-2011, 06:00 PM
I went to an NBA game last year.

I was pleasantly surprised that I didn't see adverts for betting odds during the game.

Not sure but isn't gambling on sports illegal in the USA????? Or atleast in some parts?

Topdog
16-07-2011, 06:20 PM
think it may only be legal in Vegas.

LostDoggy
16-07-2011, 06:31 PM
Not sure but isn't gambling on sports illegal in the USA????? Or atleast in some parts?

Making it illegal is just plain stupid. It just needs to be regulated with a modicum of common sense.

I like having the odd bet on the game. I'd be filthy if I couldn't, just because some other nuffty wants to lay the mortgage on the first goal. For me, it's not a problem at all because I don't go spending hundreds of dollars on it, and it's just for a bit of fun. In short, I'm not a total moron.

I should say, I do think the advertising is excessive, it just needs to be scaled back a lot, not done away with altogether.

AndrewP6
16-07-2011, 07:01 PM

It's got nothing to do with me being on my high horse. I didn't make the rule (in fact, I called it stupid). Point is, Maxwell knew full well what the rule was, and chose to ignore it/forgot to think about it. A $5k fine, they might as well not have bothered.

Fair enough, you envisage Maxwell saying he might play forward "for a change", I can just as easily imagine him saying "I'm gonna go forward and kick the first goal. Get on it"

Seems odd to me that people (not just here) are willing to accept Maxwell's word based on the premise that "he's a good bloke", but wanted Shermo's head for calling someone a name.

AndrewP6
16-07-2011, 07:05 PM
I agree.

Nice lamb roast mum. By the way dad I'm starting forward this week.

...so put a fiver on me for first goal.

Far-fetched, maybe. But with the company he keeps...

LostDoggy
16-07-2011, 07:33 PM
It's got nothing to do with me being on my high horse. I didn't make the rule (in fact, I called it stupid). Point is, Maxwell knew full well what the rule was, and chose to ignore it/forgot to think about it. A $5k fine, they might as well not have bothered.

Fair enough, you envisage Maxwell saying he might play forward "for a change", I can just as easily imagine him saying "I'm gonna go forward and kick the first goal. Get on it"

Seems odd to me that people (not just here) are willing to accept Maxwell's word based on the premise that "he's a good bloke", but wanted Shermo's head for calling someone a name.

Sherman did more than call someone a name. Drawing a pretty long bow there mate.

AndrewP6
16-07-2011, 07:36 PM
Sherman did more than call someone a name. Drawing a pretty long bow there mate.

By the same token, who's to say Maxwell didn't do more? Are we to believe him simply on the premise "he's a good bloke"?

aker39
16-07-2011, 10:16 PM

That's one of the worst comparisons I've ever read.

Sherman admitted that he racially villified a 1st game player and got what I and more importantly, the victim, thought was a justified penalty.

How can you compare that to someone who told his family that he was playing toward, and even if your worse scenario suggested that they should back him to kick the 1st goal.

AndrewP6
16-07-2011, 10:24 PM
That's one of the worst comparisons I've ever read.

Sherman admitted that he racially villified a 1st game player and got what I and more importantly, the victim, thought was a justified penalty.

How can you compare that to someone who told his family that he was playing toward, and even if your worse scenario suggested that they should back him to kick the 1st goal.

Like Sherman, he knew it was wrong and still did it. My point was that who is to say that Maxwell didn't do more? Everyone was quick to jump on Sherman, who made an error, but people seem to automatically say "Oh, Maxie's a good bloke, he just made a blue".

1eyedog
16-07-2011, 10:25 PM

Ouch. It runs a bit deeper than this me thinks I'd be looking at editing this one.

Drunken Bum
16-07-2011, 10:33 PM

You said he got off lightly and thought that he should lose the captaincy over it, that's ridiculous. I understand that it is an AFL rule and all but do you seriously believe that 99% of the players don't talk to their partners/family/mates about things that may impact on the game. The only reason it became an issue is because his family and that numpty Shaw decided to have a bet on it for what i imagine was a bit of a laugh not because they were trying to rort the system.

Lets start fining and suspending players for giving what could be considered inside information every week to not only family members and friends but also to people on these boards who have the inside knowledge, players mentioning to someone that they are unlikely to be playing due to injury or whatever, surely that is the same thing?

Maxwells fine was appropriate because he broke the rules(which every other player in the league does) and he got caught but anything more would have been excessive and in my opinion ridiculous. It's not like he gave the info to bookies or big punters or anything, if that happened yeah come down on them with everything but until those situations occur lets try using a bit of common sense.

AndrewP6
16-07-2011, 10:37 PM
You said he got off lightly and thought that he should lose the captaincy over it, that's ridiculous. I understand that it is an AFL rule and all but do you seriously believe that 99% of the players don't talk to their partners/family/mates about things that may impact on the game. The only reason it became an issue is because his family and that numpty Shaw decided to have a bet on it for what i imagine was a bit of a laugh not because they were trying to rort the system.

Lets start fining and suspending players for giving what could be considered inside information every week to not only family members and friends but also to people on these boards who have the inside knowledge, players mentioning to someone that they are unlikely to be playing due to injury or whatever, surely that is the same thing?

Maxwells fine was appropriate because he broke the rules(which every other player in the league does) and he got caught but anything more would have been excessive and in my opinion ridiculous. It's not like he gave the info to bookies or big punters or anything, if that happened yeah come down on them with everything but until those situations occur lets try using a bit of common sense.

Fair enough. I think I'm done with this thread, we'll have to agree to disagree.

aker39
16-07-2011, 10:37 PM
Like Sherman, he knew it was wrong and still did it. My point was that who is to say that Maxwell didn't do more? Everyone was quick to jump on Sherman, who made an error, but people seem to automatically say "Oh, Maxie's a good bloke, he just made a blue".

Sherman admitted it.

AndrewP6
16-07-2011, 10:39 PM
Sherman admitted it.

I know, that's why I said "Like Sherman, he knew it was wrong"

aker39
16-07-2011, 11:12 PM
I know, that's why I said "Like Sherman, he knew it was wrong"

What did Maxwell know was wrong.

AndrewP6
16-07-2011, 11:14 PM
What did Maxwell know was wrong.

Giving inside information that could be used for betting purposes.

Desipura
17-07-2011, 07:57 AM
Giving inside information that could be used for betting purposes.

Have you never told a teammate where you are playing on the weekend, I have.

chef
17-07-2011, 08:20 AM

I thought he racial abused someone:confused:

Not sure how these are related and to me what Shermo did was 1000 time's worse.

Desipura
17-07-2011, 10:51 AM
I thought he racial abused someone:confused:

Not sure how these are related and to me what Shermo did was 1000 time's worse.

Andrew, you normally apply logic to your arguments, not too sure this time.
Put it this way Shermo deeply hurt someones feelings, who did Maxwell and Shaw hurt?

ledge
17-07-2011, 11:17 AM
Sad to say this whole world has gone soft on everything, bring back the 70s

bornadog
17-07-2011, 11:22 AM
Sad to say this whole world has gone soft on everything, bring back the 70s

5nvth-kGtQ8

Maddog37
17-07-2011, 11:31 AM
Andrew, you normally apply logic to your arguments, not too sure this time.
Put it this way Shermo deeply hurt someones feelings, who did Maxwell and Shaw hurt?

The integrity of the game.

Ridiculous to bracket Maxwell and Sherman issues IMO.

ledge
17-07-2011, 11:47 AM
5nvth-kGtQ8

Thanks BD, dont know how old you are but what do you think?
We have gone to the extreme in a lot of things.

bornadog
17-07-2011, 11:49 AM
What is ridiculous is that a player can now not say to his family or friends that he is starting in the forward pocket or on the wing or wherever because of betting. FFS, what needs to be changed here is the betting, ie no betting on anything that is going to happen during the game. Its a game of football yet we have to cow tow to betting agencies now. Fair enough players can't bet on the game, but this is getting really stupid now. The only reason Maxwell copped the fine was to make an example of him. In my opinion Maxwell did nothing wrong.

ledge
17-07-2011, 01:08 PM
What is ridiculous is that a player can now not say to his family or friends that he is starting in the forward pocket or on the wing or wherever because of betting. FFS, what needs to be changed here is the betting, ie no betting on anything that is going to happen during the game. Its a game of football yet we have to cow tow to betting agencies now. Fair enough players can't bet on the game, but this is getting really stupid now. The only reason Maxwell copped the fine was to make an example of him. In my opinion Maxwell did nothing wrong.

Completely agree, blame the players for what the AFL encourages??

Topdog
17-07-2011, 02:27 PM
Making it illegal is just plain stupid. It just needs to be regulated with a modicum of common sense.

I like having the odd bet on the game. I'd be filthy if I couldn't, just because some other nuffty wants to lay the mortgage on the first goal. For me, it's not a problem at all because I don't go spending hundreds of dollars on it, and it's just for a bit of fun. In short, I'm not a total moron.

I should say, I do think the advertising is excessive, it just needs to be scaled back a lot, not done away with altogether.

no one puts more than $10 on that stuff. Even with insider info they got $85 put on it from 3 separate accounts.

LostDoggy
17-07-2011, 02:43 PM

He didn't make an error — he vilified an entire race of people mate.

I've been quite distressed at how many people on WOOF have stood up for what Sherman did, maybe not by saying it was right but by not totally condemning it either. I believe in free speech as much as the next poster — I'd disagree but fight for your right to the opinion anyway — but it saddens me that this issue is not as clearcut as it should be in the minds of some people. Anyway, it's off topic, so I'll just say: Totally different circumstances in every sense of the word different.

ledge
17-07-2011, 02:44 PM
He didn't make an error — he vilified an entire race of people mate.

I've been quite distressed at how many people on WOOF have stood up for what Sherman did, maybe not by saying it was right but by not totally condemning it either. I believe in free speech as much as the next poster — I'd disagree but fight for your right to the opinion anyway — but it saddens me that this issue is not as clearcut as it should be in the minds of some people. Anyway, it's off topic, so I'll just say: Totally different circumstances in every sense of the word different.

If thats not an error what is??:D