PDA

View Full Version : Adam Cooney lashed out at Brian Lake's knockers

bornadog
17-07-2011, 01:34 PM
Mark Stevens (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/adam-cooney-lashed-out-at-brian-lakes-knockers/story-e6frf9jf-1226096009052)

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/008477-lake.jpg

WESTERN Bulldogs star Adam Cooney has launched a spirited defence of teammate Brian Lake, slamming "fickle" critics of the struggling full-back.

Cooney said Lake had shown loyalty, putting the club ahead of himself, by playing last year's finals series with injuries.

After a string of post-season operations, he has struggled to reach the fitness level required to play AFL, but the Brownlow medallist has dismissed talk his close friend is lazy.

"A lot of people have been canning him this year, which I think is pretty unfair," Cooney said.

"Kicking a bloke when he's down is not great, but it's a pretty fickle industry, footy."

He said any supporters who had turned on Lake had short memories.

"He hurt his shoulder in one of the finals last year, then his knee and his hip," Cooney said.

"Come finals time, you do anything you can to get out there. To play through that, doing the team thing, is great by him.

"Hopefully the fans who have turned remember he was doing it pretty tough during the finals series last year."

Lake will miss another game at VFL level this weekend with a calf strain, but the Dogs remain hopeful he can return for Williamstown and make a late bid to make an impact at AFL level.

"I think everyone, including him, is thinking, 'What happened? Where have I gone wrong?'," Cooney said.

"He's done it pretty tough, but everyone at the club is supporting him."

Cooney can empathise with Lake, given he has endured his battle with knee soreness, attracting criticism for not working hard enough.

"It's the same thing as me, I suppose, people branding him lazy and saying he's got the wrong attitude - which is not right," he said.

"The thing that was letting him down was his body. Once your body is letting you down, it is hard to do the things you know you can do.

"It is similar to me. I can understand his frustration. He wants to do the things he was doing last year, but at the moment his body is not allowing him to do that.

"Obviously, he's pretty frustrated and he gets down on himself a bit."

GVGjr
17-07-2011, 01:52 PM
There has been a fair bit of talk amongst internet Bulldog members about the pro's and con's of trading away Brian Lake at the end of the season. Brian and Adam are very good mates and their wives are best friends so I'm guessing it wouldn't sit well with Cooney if Lake was traded.

ledge
17-07-2011, 01:53 PM
Fire them up Coons good onya mate.

chef
17-07-2011, 02:16 PM
There has been a fair bit of talk amongst internet Bulldog members about the pro's and con's of trading away Brian Lake at the end of the season. Brian and Adam are very good mates and their wives are best friends so I'm guessing it wouldn't sit well with Cooney if Lake was traded.

Weren't Grant and Everitt best mates too?

I am sure that would never come into it when it comes to list management.

GVGjr
17-07-2011, 02:24 PM
Weren't Grant and Everitt best mates too?

I am sure that would never come into it when it comes to list management.

You don't think that Cooney would have no end of other clubs interested in him when he is coming out of contract?
I think he is that close to Lake that if he thought Brian was harshly dealt and there was little to no loyalty displayed at the club it could very well come into consideration for him at his next contract.

ledge
17-07-2011, 02:30 PM
The Grant and Wira issue was another.
I remember a story years ago of Richmond players falling apart after Richmond traded a well respected player, according to the players it was like the soul of the club was ripped out.
It can be a very delicate issue.

chef
17-07-2011, 02:39 PM
You don't think that Cooney would have no end of other clubs interested in him when he is coming out of contract?
I think he is that close to Lake that if he thought Brian was harshly dealt and there was little to no loyalty displayed at the club it could very well come into consideration for him at his next contract.

I doubt he would want to leave the club even if Brian is traded, not that I want him traded.

Weren't Wira and Grant equally as good of friends?

chef
17-07-2011, 02:41 PM
The Grant and Wira issue was another.
I remember a story years ago of Richmond players falling apart after Richmond traded a well respected player, according to the players it was like the soul of the club was ripped out.It can be a very delicate issue.

Like when Powell and Monty were traded?

GVGjr
17-07-2011, 02:49 PM
I doubt he would want to leave the club even if Brian is traded, not that I want him traded.

I think you are underestimating things.

Weren't Wira and Grant equally as good of friends?

Don't get the link

ledge
17-07-2011, 02:51 PM
Wira was traded, Grant was upset with Wallace about it and the ball started rolling..

ledge
17-07-2011, 02:52 PM
Like when Powell and Monty were traded?

I think it was Neil Roberts.

chef
17-07-2011, 03:09 PM
Don't get the link

Cooney and Lake are best friends, Grant and Wira were best friends at the time of Wira getting traded.

chef
17-07-2011, 03:11 PM
I think you are underestimating things.

I guess I just think Cooney is mature enough to understand the big picture if it came to that. If think you are over estimating the friends element, friends get split up every year in footy clubs.

ledge
17-07-2011, 03:17 PM
I guess I just think Cooney is mature enough to understand the big picture if it came to that. If think you are over estimating the friends element, friends get split up every year in footy clubs.

I dont know Chef there are examples of both sides in the discussion, I dont think this one is one we have to worry about though, all the hoopla about Lake being traded etc was all media beat up and some fans jumped on it, dont think it was ever in the clubs thoughts.
We do have both for another 2 years on contract so I will wait until then.

chef
17-07-2011, 03:22 PM
I dont know Chef there are examples of both sides in the discussion, I dont think this one is one we have to worry about though, all the hoopla about Lake being traded etc was all media beat up and some fans jumped on it, dont think it was ever in the clubs thoughts.
We do have both for another 2 years on contract so I will wait until then.

I agree with this, Brian is going nowhere. I am sure is well liked by all involved with the club and will return to his previous form, if not this season definitely next season.

GVGjr
17-07-2011, 03:29 PM
Cooney and Lake are best friends, Grant and Wira were best friends at the time of Wira getting traded.

Do you really think Cooney is cut from the same cloth as Chris Grant?
Remember, Lake still has two years to go on a contract and has been a star player for the club. I don't believe Cooney will simply fob it off if as just being part of the footy business if he was traded. He is defending him now because his character is being questioned and I think he would have an even stronger POV if he was moved on whilst still contracted.

I guess I just think Cooney is mature enough to understand the big picture if it came to that.

Guess we will never agree, which is nothing new, but for what it's worth I've never regarded Cooney as mature.

chef
17-07-2011, 03:33 PM
Guess we will never agree, which is nothing new, but for what it's worth I've never regarded Cooney as mature.

:DI thought the same thing, I do respect your opinion though.

ledge
17-07-2011, 03:33 PM
Do you really think Cooney is cut from the same cloth as Chris Grant?
Remember, Lake still has two years to go on a contract and has been a star player for the club. I don't believe Cooney will simply fob it off if as just being part of the footy business if he was traded. He is defending him now because his character is being questioned and I think he would have an even stronger POV if he was moved on whilst still contracted.

I tend to think Coons is maturing just a bit slower than others:D

chef
17-07-2011, 03:38 PM
Do you really think Cooney is cut from the same cloth as Chris Grant? Remember, Lake still has two years to go on a contract and has been a star player for the club. I don't believe Cooney will simply fob it off if as just being part of the footy business if he was traded. He is defending him now because his character is being questioned and I think he would have an even stronger POV if he was moved on whilst still contracted.

Chris is god in my eyes, so no.

And I don't want to trade Lake, I just don't think Cooney would drop his bundle and want out if we(and Brian) thought trading Brian was going to be good for our club(and him).

Is Adam still close with Eagleton after the Lake/Eagleton mess?

AndrewP6
17-07-2011, 04:10 PM
Great to see another public show of support from the playing group. Here's hoping Briza can get on top of whatever is keeping him out of the side. FWIW I reckon, apart from Eskygate, Cooney is doing well in his role.

azabob
17-07-2011, 04:21 PM

I know your opinion is formed on how he conducts himself at club functions etc.

However the way Adam has supported his family and step daughter is to be admired. At such a young age he took on a great responsibility, one he did not need to.

So perhaps Adam isn't mature in the way needed to lead a football club but he is mature beyond his years in other ways.

Again my opinion and I assume like yours is formed from afar.

Remi Moses
17-07-2011, 08:35 PM
Put Lake away for the season!
Get him cherry ripe for next season,tonight emphasized the need for a fit Lake!

Sockeye Salmon
17-07-2011, 10:49 PM
Sheedy said he ripped the guts out of Essendon by trading out Steve Carey and Peter Bradbury.

Desipura
18-07-2011, 07:42 AM

After reading the article, I have doubts on whether his knee will hold up for him to play another 7 years. It sounds like it could be over in a few years or he could be lucky and play until 30.
Either way, it is not convincing when he does not know if he is going to play each week.
When he is 27yo, Im not too sure a club would want to invest in someone with a history of a dodgy knee that is supposedly hanging by a thread (well that is how I read it)

chef
18-07-2011, 08:25 AM
I know your opinion is formed on how he conducts himself at club functions etc.

However the way Adam has supported his family and step daughter is to be admired. At such a young age he took on a great responsibility, one he did not need to.

So perhaps Adam isn't mature in the way needed to lead a football club but he is mature beyond his years in other ways.

Again my opinion and I assume like yours is formed from afar.

I guess it depends on what your perception of being mature is, to me raising someone else child as your own is a very mature thing for a young man to do.

Gary, may I ask what Cooney has done for you to label him as not being mature?

the banker
18-07-2011, 08:59 PM
Great that Cooney spoke out. Would love Brian to give an in depth interview to give us perspective.

He is a star of the Club and supporters would love to get confirmation from him on his enthusiasm for the game and the club and his determination to get over his injuries.

We wish Brian speed in his return to his best form and enjoyment of the game.

LostDoggy
19-07-2011, 01:16 PM
Sheedy said he ripped the guts out of Essendon by trading out Steve Carey and Peter Bradbury.

So, trading is the devil's work?

Sockeye Salmon
19-07-2011, 01:23 PM
So, trading is the devil's work?

Damn straight it is.