PDA

View Full Version : Round #18 Match Committee

GVGjr
17-07-2011, 02:04 PM
If you were on the Match Committee who would the likely ins and outs for the round 18 away game against the Sydney Swans next Saturday?

GVGjr
17-07-2011, 09:13 PM
So who do we drop and promote?

Maddog37
17-07-2011, 09:27 PM
No doubt Sydney will go to town on the inside pressure like Norf did today. Shaggy would be handy but it was more of a mindset rather than anything that else's that needs to change.

Reid did look poor tonight and Hill is surely only playing to keep interest in his trade value.

Maybe Wallis, Tutt or Libba. We need guys that can rotate and impact through the middle.

bornadog
17-07-2011, 09:27 PM
Out: Gilbee, Reid, Hill

In: Tutt, Stack, Barlow

G-Mo77
17-07-2011, 09:28 PM
Tutt one of the better players this week?

Out: Reid and Hill (Grant lucky)

In: Libba and Wallis

That's without ready what happened at Willy today.

Gia13
17-07-2011, 09:36 PM
Out: Reid Hill Grant

In: Libba Wallis Minson

Goldstien killed us in the ruck tonight.

GVGjr
17-07-2011, 09:41 PM
Out: Reid Hill Grant

In: Libba Wallis Minson

Goldstien killed us in the ruck tonight.

The one ruckman approach certainly didn't help things today

LostDoggy
17-07-2011, 09:41 PM
Huddo gotta bring it next week against The Mummy.

Out: Reid, Hill
In: Addison, Libba

LostDoggy
17-07-2011, 09:44 PM
In: DFA, Minson
Out:Hill, Reid

LostDoggy
17-07-2011, 09:52 PM
Yep, dont think Hill is up to real AFL standard.

w3design
17-07-2011, 09:56 PM
Out Hill can,t stand that he gets a game.
Grant Reid

IN Barlow Libba and Howard

MrMahatma
17-07-2011, 09:58 PM
We need to rebalance out midfield.

IN: Howard, Tutt, Roughead
Out: Reid, Hill, Cross (won't happen but we have too many grunts in at the moment).

Maddog37
17-07-2011, 10:15 PM
Thought Cross was very good at times today when others were asleep at the wheel.

LostDoggy
17-07-2011, 10:16 PM
Out: Grant, Hill & Gillbee.
(For some reason I want to keep Reid in, Don't ask me why, I think he'll make us eat our words.)

comrade
17-07-2011, 10:26 PM
Reid just isn't up to it. I hate saying it because he's had a shocking run but he adds nothing to our group.

I'd like to see either Tutt or Howard get a go.

Rocco Jones
17-07-2011, 10:39 PM
Reid just isn't up to it. I hate saying it because he's had a shocking run but he adds nothing to our group.

Totally agree. I understand why our fans are so generous with him but he just isn't up to it.

I made comments about Hooper's game being overrated last week. We almost were obliged to play him this week. Love the way he goes about it though, hopefully he will somehow grind his way into a decent career. Has to make way though.

Hill just has to be done doesn't he?

Grant- with his explosive pace he could be wonderful at applying forward pressure but he just isn't up for it.

Gilbee- might have to survive due to lack of options

I know disposals mean little in modern day footy but we have a lot of guys who just don't get the ball.

Really struggle to gauge the ins without decent VFL feedback.

Mantis
17-07-2011, 10:47 PM
As bad as we were as a group today Grant, Reid, Hooper & Gilbee were really poor and would have to be treading on thin ice.

Sedat
17-07-2011, 11:03 PM
The one ruckman approach certainly didn't help things today
Huddo really struggles against the mobile ruckmen who can run all day - Goldstein also happens to be 200+ cms and is an excellent tap ruckman to boot. Huddo excels against the beanpole types who are 'tap it and do very little else' (ie: Sandilands, Warnock), hence he had a ripper last week. I don't think the lack of a second genuine ruckman was as much of a factor as Huddo's inability to handle the Goldstein/Cox types.

I'd still be reluctant to sacrifice a runner to bring in another ruckman.

kruder
17-07-2011, 11:05 PM
Out

Hooper. Dosent have the smarts of a good small forward while at the same time cant find the football. Love the idea of two small forwards adding pressure but nothing he has done has convinced me that he will ever be up to AFL standard.

Gilbee

Finshed??????

Ins

Tutt/Vesp

Tutt has been excellent in a few games I've seen him play with nice skills and speed. Agree Vesp needs to get fitter but on the small SCG I could imgaine him having under 10 touches but having an impact with his leathal skills.

Stack

Has made his fair few mistakes this year but like him off half back as a direct swap for Gillbee.

GVGjr
17-07-2011, 11:09 PM
Huddo really struggles against the mobile ruckmen who can run all day - Goldstein also happens to be 200+ cms and is an excellent tap ruckman to boot. Huddo excels against the beanpole types who are 'tap it and do very little else' (ie: Sandilands, Warnock), hence he had a ripper last week. I don't think the lack of a second genuine ruckman was as much of a factor as Huddo's inability to handle the Goldstein/Cox types.

I'd still be reluctant to sacrifice a runner to bring in another ruckman.

What about Grant for Roughead?

AndrewP6
17-07-2011, 11:17 PM
Without knowing about the magoos, I'd have

OUT Grant, Hill
IN - Roughy and Libba

Reid and Hooper just lucky. I like Hooper's energy, but doesn't really do enough. Reid, just not sure he's up to it.

comrade
17-07-2011, 11:22 PM
Without knowing about the magoos, I'd have

OUT Grant, Hill
IN - Roughy and Libba

Reid and Hooper just lucky. I like Hooper's energy, but doesn't really do enough. Reid, just not sure he's up to it.

Adding Libba to the mix makes a treacle slow midfield even slower. Even though it's at the SCG, we're in desperate need of some running power.

AndrewP6
17-07-2011, 11:25 PM
Adding Libba to the mix makes a treacle slow midfield even slower. Even though it's at the SCG, we're in desperate need of some running power.

I know, but is there any in the Williamstown Well?

comrade
17-07-2011, 11:27 PM
I know, but is there any in the Williamstown Well?

Tutt and Howard are both run and carry type players.

Sherman goes alright, too :(

AndrewP6
17-07-2011, 11:28 PM
Tutt and Howard are both run and carry type players.

Sherman goes alright, too :(

Don't know much about Tutt, Howard could be in. Has Sherm got one or two more weeks?

w3design
17-07-2011, 11:36 PM
I was at a function recently where Rocket basically said Minson would not be played again this year as a 2nd ruck and doesn't provide enough as a forward. He said this had been coveyed to the big fella.

Sedat
17-07-2011, 11:39 PM
If it was up to me, Ed Barlow comes straight back in this week if he's over his finger injury.

LostDoggy
18-07-2011, 12:01 AM
Out: Grant Hooper Reid

In: Libba Vez Barlow

Greystache
18-07-2011, 12:10 AM
In- Howard, Libba, Cordy
Out- Reid, Grant, Hooper

chef
18-07-2011, 07:25 AM
Don't know much about Tutt, Howard could be in. Has Sherm got one or two more weeks?

One more.

chef
18-07-2011, 07:32 AM
In Tutt, Cordy, Stack and Minson

Out Hill, Hooper, Hudson and Grant

Desipura
18-07-2011, 07:57 AM
In Libba, Veszpremi and Addison
Out Reid, Hooper and Grant

1eyedog
18-07-2011, 09:19 AM
What about Grant for Roughead?

Indeed. Is he fit do you know?

Four changes after that effort

IN: Roughead, Libba, Howard, Ves

OUT: Gilbee, Grant, Reid, Hooper

Hot_Doggies
18-07-2011, 09:21 AM
Be very surprised if Tutt doesn't debut this week (sub most likely).

Mantis
18-07-2011, 09:57 AM
It will be interesting to see how Hall & Hudson pull up as we really only have a 5 & 1/2 day break this week.... even Cooney might struggle.

I would think it might best to rest Huddo so he is 100% right for the West Coast game.

1eyedog
18-07-2011, 10:15 AM
It will be interesting to see how Hall & Hudson pull up as we really only have a 5 & 1/2 day break this week.... even Cooney might struggle.

I would think it might best to rest Huddo so he is 100% right for the West Coast game.

We keep saying this but the MC keeps picking him, it must be taking a toll. Do you know how Roughhead has been travelling and would you prefer him over Minson or do we need more strength against Mummy?

Mantis
18-07-2011, 10:21 AM
We keep saying this but the MC keeps picking him, it must be taking a toll. Do you know how Roughhead has been travelling and would you prefer him over Minson or do we need more strength against Mummy?

Minson would be my choice to take over as the no.1 ruck, Roughead would get monstered.

And in fairness to the MC Huddo was awesome last week.... but he clearly struggled yesterday.

Mofra
18-07-2011, 10:56 AM
And in fairness to the MC Huddo was awesome last week.... but he clearly struggled yesterday.
He looked tired by the end of the first quarter - due for a breather I'd expect

Out:
Huddo (rest), Reid - for all the talk about not playing Hudson & Minson in the same side, can we play Reid & Cross in the same team?

In:
Minson, Howard/Tutt

Sedat
18-07-2011, 11:01 AM

We have the bye after West Coke which makes it tricky to rest any players this week. If we go horses for courses, Huddo takes Mummy and Minno takes Cox and Nicnat the following week. For mine, Barlow plays the 2nd ruck/follower role in both weeks.

Mantis
18-07-2011, 11:21 AM
We have the bye after West Coke which makes it tricky to rest any players this week. If we go horses for courses, Huddo takes Mummy and Minno takes Cox and Nicnat the following week. For mine, Barlow plays the 2nd ruck/follower role in both weeks.

Huddo seems perfect for Mummy, but if he isn't 100% he will get rag-dolled.... With a short break I would prefer we rest Huddo this week.

My changes are:

In: Minson, Barlow, Tutt, Veszpremi
Out: Hudson, Grant, Reid, Hooper

In saying that I would expect Hill to go as well.... maybe Gilbee as well who is struggling to find a role he can fill with success.

Ozza
18-07-2011, 11:32 AM
Agree with most of whats been discussed.

Hooper just doesn't get involved enough.
Reid has a go - but doesn't have the ability at AFL level.
I've been defending Gilbs for a while because I thought his ball use still benefitted the team - but some of his defensive efforts in marking contests were poor - and he again didn't get much of the footy...it would be a miracle if he survived many more weeks.

G-Mo77
18-07-2011, 02:05 PM
Doing a bit more thinking about it I'll redo my selections.

Out: Reid, Hooper, Hill

In: Barlow, Veszpremi, Howard/Tutt

I have no problem slotting Barlow straight back in if he's fit. Vez has kicked quite a few goals over the last few weeks and is due for a call up. Not sure on that final spot. I've always thought Howard was very unlucky to make way a few weeks ago, Tutt's been in the bests most weeks as well.

stefoid
18-07-2011, 02:58 PM
Doing a bit more thinking about it I'll redo my selections.

Out: Reid, Hooper, Hill

In: Barlow, Veszpremi, Howard/Tutt

I have no problem slotting Barlow straight back in if he's fit. Vez has kicked quite a few goals over the last few weeks and is due for a call up. Not sure on that final spot. I've always thought Howard was very unlucky to make way a few weeks ago, Tutt's been in the bests most weeks as well.

Reid was largely ineffectual but who are you going to run in the middle instead of him? I suppose if you are bringing Barlow and Vez in, then Guido could spend more time in the middle, but then again he is our most dangerous forward after Hall so...

But I think this is around the mark.

G-Mo77
18-07-2011, 03:14 PM
Reid was largely ineffectual but who are you going to run in the middle instead of him? I suppose if you are bringing Barlow and Vez in, then Guido could spend more time in the middle, but then again he is our most dangerous forward after Hall so...

But I think this is around the mark.

My initial thoughts were Libba or Wallis to come in. I'd happily put on of those into the team in place of Reid.

LostDoggy
18-07-2011, 06:08 PM
Frustrating to watch some players who aren't up to it yet others wait in the wings.

I think we're still 4 or 5 players form our best 22.

Time to go back to Williamstown Reid, Hill, Grant and to a lesser extend Hooper and Gilbee.

Got the likes of Libba, Vez, Roughhead and Howard ready to go with Lake, Sherman and Hargrave still part of our best 22 when they become available.

Fantastic to see though the likes of Dalhaus and Markovic become automatic selections. Markovic reminds me of Hargrave at a younger age but I reckon he's probably better than Hargrave at the same stage.

Desipura
18-07-2011, 08:44 PM
Markovic is an insurance player not convinced on his long term future. Is strong one on one however when a player gets on a lead his lack of acceleration is obvious

Maddog37
18-07-2011, 08:46 PM
He is not a one out top liner but plays a role very well. He is also very honest IMO.

Hotdog60
18-07-2011, 08:53 PM
Maybe with the return of Lake at some stage could Markovic be tried as a full forward. I'm not sure on his marking but he's kicking looks reasonable and in the one on one contest he might give something and we need a stop gap for Barry when he goes.

westbulldog
18-07-2011, 10:25 PM
The season may well be over. Time to stop shuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic for the last five games.
Out : Hill Hooper Reid Gilbee Hudson (rest)
In : Libba or Wallis, Tutt or Howard, Minson, Veszpremi, Cordy

LostDoggy
18-07-2011, 10:35 PM
The season may well be over. Time to stop shuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic for the last five games.

Season still not over and we should not over react here

For mine Reid and Hill out

Libba for his stoppage work at the SCG in alond with Barlow

LostDoggy
18-07-2011, 10:39 PM
"Reid isn't up to AFL standard" seems a little harsh to me. Personally I think he will develop into a fine player if we give him a little more time. Happy for him to go back to the magoos but not happy to write him off completely like others seem to have done.

LostDoggy
18-07-2011, 10:39 PM
Ves in against his previous side with a point to prove and lets play an acyce

1eyedog
19-07-2011, 11:27 AM

:confused: It looks like you've shuffled the deck chairs!

1eyedog
19-07-2011, 11:29 AM
Maybe with the return of Lake at some stage could Markovic be tried as a full forward. I'm not sure on his marking but he's kicking looks reasonable and in the one on one contest he might give something and we need a stop gap for Barry when he goes.

Reads the ball well through the air but is ooohh so slow. A good full back with tear shreds off him the other way.

Nuggety Back Pocket
19-07-2011, 05:47 PM
Totally agree. I understand why our fans are so generous with him but he just isn't up to it.

I made comments about Hooper's game being overrated last week. We almost were obliged to play him this week. Love the way he goes about it though, hopefully he will somehow grind his way into a decent career. Has to make way though.

Hill just has to be done doesn't he?

Grant- with his explosive pace he could be wonderful at applying forward pressure but he just isn't up for it.

Gilbee- might have to survive due to lack of options

I know disposals mean little in modern day footy but we have a lot of guys who just don't get the ball.

Really struggle to gauge the ins without decent VFL feedback.

Agree with your sentiments on Reid, Hill and Hooper who should all go back to Williamstown. Probably time to elevate Roughead as support to Hudson and a marking option up forward. Addison and Liberatore could be added to provide more grunt into the team. Grant has been extremely disappointing this year and doesn't apply anywhere near enough pressure. We have a problem in finding quality replacements with the lack of depth a concern.

LostDoggy
19-07-2011, 06:12 PM
Hill out Hooper, Reid, Grant, Gilbee on shaky ground. Hudson for a rest.

Minson, Addison in, Ves, Howard, Roughy possible ins.

The match committee will probably just go Hill for Stack.

bornadog
19-07-2011, 06:50 PM
Hill out Hooper, Reid, Grant, Gilbee on shaky ground. Hudson for a rest.

Minson, Addison in, Ves, Howard, Roughy possible ins.

The match committee will probably just go Hill for Stack.

Would be nice to give Tutt a chance to experience the next level.

Doc26
19-07-2011, 06:53 PM
Haven't had a chance to assess with an eye on matchups, as it should be, nonetheless,

In: Roughead, Tutt

Out: Reid, Hooper

Hudson needs a chop out and Rough's our future, Tutt deserves a crack sooner than later, I'd consider subbing Gilbee for him.

Was tempted to give Veszpremi a crack on the small ground, against his old team but couldn't do it yet. His current lack of pace and endurance still worrying me.

LostDoggy
19-07-2011, 07:15 PM
Out---------In
Grant ------Vez
Reid--------Addo
Hill---------Tutt\Scho\Wallis\Libba\Cordy?

LostDoggy
19-07-2011, 07:23 PM
Vez would be a replacement for Hooper if he is rested.

LostDoggy
19-07-2011, 08:56 PM
Out Grant Hill Reid Gilbee
In Cordy Howard Addison Barlow

Let's give Cordy a taste this year Rocket!

LostDoggy
20-07-2011, 10:56 AM
Would be nice to give Tutt a chance to experience the next level.

You are probably right and maybe Cordy too, I just haven't had the pleasure of seeing either of them play. If you guys that are closer to the action and Williamstown say they should be given a run then great, always happy to see our next superstars in action.

G-Mo77
20-07-2011, 11:03 AM
I think the calls for Cordy are far to early. Wasn't this is first game back after taking 3 weeks off? I'd like to see him put 2 - 3 good games together and stay healthy before considering him.

BulldogBelle
20-07-2011, 03:42 PM
We should have introduced him vs the Gold Coast instead of playing Minson

Every other game for the rest of this season is an 8 point game - not saying he wont contribute, but we need to go full metal jacket for the rest of this season.

No point throwing him to the wolves in crucial games, hurting his confidence when he isnt ready vs quality sides

azabob
20-07-2011, 06:28 PM
I think the calls for Cordy are far to early. Wasn't this is first game back after taking 3 weeks off? I'd like to see him put 2 - 3 good games together and stay healthy before considering him.

Will be interesting how many VFL games he can string together.

The Coon Dog
21-07-2011, 09:00 AM
Murph will be a huge loss this week given his ball use coming out of defence.

Bob Murphy to miss this week! (http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=9608)

chef
21-07-2011, 09:06 AM
Bugger, thats a huge loss.

SlimPickens
21-07-2011, 09:18 AM
Out: Murphy (Inj), Reid, Hooper

In: Howard, Libba, Vez

Don't mind the Huddo, Jones combination as long as Hudson doesn't get destroyed like he did against Goldstein. Remember Sydney back up last week was Lewis Robert-Thompson.

Has been pretty wet in Sydney this week, so inside mids will be crucial.

the banker
21-07-2011, 09:35 AM
I was in Sydney yesterday. The wetaher has been extreme, with more rain forecast I don't imagine teh ground could recover.

This may suit Hoops so he may get a reprieve?

OUT Murphy (inj) Reid, Grant

IN Howard, Libba, Vez

bornadog
21-07-2011, 11:02 AM
Murphy will most likely be replaced by Howard, Stack, Schofield or Tutt. Howard may get the nod as he has the better kicking skills.

Ozza
21-07-2011, 02:40 PM
At a guess -

Schofield for Murphy
Tutt for Hill
Libba for Reid

1eyedog
21-07-2011, 03:48 PM
I was in Sydney yesterday. The wetaher has been extreme, with more rain forecast I don't imagine teh ground could recover.

This may suit Hoops so he may get a reprieve?

OUT Murphy (inj) Reid, Grant

IN Howard, Libba, Vez

I'd leave Reid in then

neddie
21-07-2011, 04:56 PM
It's TUTT time,he has got good form at WILLY,also Howard and Libba,the curtain is beginning to fall,give the young guns experience for the future.

Pickenitup
21-07-2011, 05:02 PM
Williams could be a late out for us

Nuggety Back Pocket
21-07-2011, 05:02 PM
At a guess -

Schofield for Murphy
Tutt for Hill
Libba for Reid

These 3 proposed ins simply highlights our lack of depth. Murphy becomes almost irreplaceable, as he and Morris alone have stood tall in defence all year.
I would be inclined to bring in Roughead as a back up ruckman and marking option up forward. Happy to see Liberatore come in. Hooper would be lucky to hold his place as purely a forward pocket specialist doesn't win enough of the ball. Grant is another who on this year's form is lucky to be in the side.

Pickenitup
21-07-2011, 05:40 PM
Tommy is pretty sore and the club may err on the side of caution if i was a betting man id say 50/50

Remi Moses
21-07-2011, 05:55 PM
Williams is always proppy.
Noticed Kennealy went of with a knee injury for them late last week!
Look for us getting a raw deal after Sydney's whinge to the AFL on the officiating last week.

1eyedog
21-07-2011, 06:00 PM
These 3 proposed ins simply highlights our lack of depth. Murphy becomes almost irreplaceable, as he and Morris alone have stood tall in defence all year.
I would be inclined to bring in Roughead as a back up ruckman and marking option up forward. Happy to see Liberatore come in. Hooper would be lucky to hold his place as purely a forward pocket specialist doesn't win enough of the ball. Grant is another who on this year's form is lucky to be in the side.

With Hargrave, Lake and now Murph out through injuries and Shermo for his indescretion we are a bit stretched for experience. Especially down back. Addison should come into the side IMO, he will be a handy addition to the team especially it is wet. If these wet conditions do persist Tommy may get a rest, he seemed to have suffered a bad knock to his hip(?) last week.

Dry Rot
21-07-2011, 06:03 PM
The rain is bucking down here.

Sydney area forecast Saturday 23 July
Summary
Min 11Max 16
A few showers.

Partly cloudy. Scattered showers, more frequent along the coastal fringe. Winds south to southwesterly averaging up to 35 km/h decreasing below 30 km/h by early evening.

Will probably still be pretty wet on Saturday. Does this affect your selections?