PDA

View Full Version : Round #17 - Slaps and Sledges

GVGjr
17-07-2011, 02:07 PM
For those who aren't familiar with the Slaps and Sledges thread:

A slap on the back for a job well done by 2 players. (not to be confused with the Woof Player Awards (http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=9023))
This can be a passage of player or even a spirited effort.

A sledge to two players that let down the team. Try and make this constructive critique and not just overly critical.

Provide us with your thoughts on this evenings game against the North Melbourne Kangaroos.

GVGjr
17-07-2011, 09:13 PM
This might be an interesting one

MrMahatma
17-07-2011, 09:21 PM
Slap: Dahl & BBB (+ Jones). Covered loads of ground.

Sledge: Boyd & Grant. Boyd's costly turn overs, and that 50 when the game was in the balance. Grant for going missing for most of the game.

To be honest, most of our midfield was average at best.

w3design
17-07-2011, 09:28 PM
Slap: Barry Hall moved and presented well.
Slap: Liam Jones' contested marking early.
Slap: Dalhaus sparked us after a quietish first half, continues to delight with his desperation.

Sledge: we all knew our biggest risk tonight was complacency, and yet that's the mindset we turned up with. We are complete heartbreakers to dish that up, after last week looking like the sky's the limit.
Sledge: collectively our midfield did not work hard enough. Really disappointing efforts there.
Sledge: I badly want Sam Reid to make it. The kid has had terrible luck. But he struggled big time.
Sledge: boyd's block which cost us a free at a critical point was just so dumb.

I could go on with the sledges. There were so many to choose from. Is this the same team that were so magnificent last week?

Maddog37
17-07-2011, 09:29 PM
Slaps Jones early. Dal late and Barry all day.

Sledge. Run at all cost game plan. Control the ball a bit more and we look a lot better.

G-Mo77
17-07-2011, 09:35 PM
Slap.

Huddo. He was up against it today and thought he battled really well.
Hall. He was terrific. The snap he kicked in the 2nd I think was awesome!
Callan Ward. Just love the way he goes about it
Griff's goal. It was over but still a nice finish.

Sledge.

Midfield. Just seemed to easy for North today. Gave our defenders absolutely no chance.
Boyd's 50m Penalty. Could it have come at a worse time?
Higgins' pathetic kick to Petrie late in the game.
Josh Hill. I don't wanna ever see your face again. (Unless it's in another jumper)

SonofScray
17-07-2011, 09:37 PM
Slap:

Jones' 1st half. Elite contested marking.
Dalhaus' 2nd half. Takes the shot when it presents itself. Need more players to do the same.

Sledge:
Boyd's turnovers. Just too many at the wrong time, in the wrong place.
Hudson. Gave us nothing in the ruck and very little at ground level. Was due for a stinker I suppose.

LostDoggy
17-07-2011, 09:38 PM
Slap: Jones marking was brilliant.
Slap: Good game from Baz today and becomes (I believe the first?) Player to kick 100 goals at 3 clubs. Fair effort.

Sledge: Doing things the hard way, doesn't help with 4 of the last 5 games against top 8 sides.

Greystache
17-07-2011, 09:58 PM
Slaps

Jones- His contested marking kept us in it early.

Hall- Best game of the season

Sledges

Complacency- We had a chance to get something out of the season today and we serve up that shit.

Game plan- Play on at all costs is dead, when we don't persist with that garbage we can play some good footy, but we seem to want to keep falling back on it. Just leave the bloody thing to rot FFS.

comrade
17-07-2011, 10:05 PM
Game plan- Play on at all costs is dead, when we don't persist with that garbage we can play some good footy, but we seem to want to keep falling back on it. Just leave the bloody thing to rot FFS.

Do you think we actually planned to play the way we did?

Greystache
17-07-2011, 10:08 PM
Do you think we actually planned to play the way we did?

We did it consistently for the entire first half, so yes I think it was the plan.

SonofScray
17-07-2011, 10:12 PM
We did it consistently for the entire first half, so yes I think it was the plan.

I agree. I don't think Nth really dictated to us how the game would be played in any way, we didn't look like we were up for a physical contest with plenty of pressure so rolled the dice instead and subsequently got burnt.

Another Sledge:
Josh Hill, just seems to show less and less every week.

Another Slap:
Cross kicking a goal from 40m out.

always right
17-07-2011, 10:19 PM
Slap.

Huddo. He was up against it today and thought he battled really well.
Hall. He was terrific. The snap he kicked in the 2nd I think was awesome!
Callan Ward. Just love the way he goes about it
Griff's goal. It was over but still a nice finish.

Sledge.

Midfield. Just seemed to easy for North today. Gave our defenders absolutely no chance.
Boyd's 50m Penalty. Could it have come at a worse time?
Higgins' pathetic kick to Petrie late in the game.
Josh Hill. I don't wanna ever see your face again. (Unless it's in another jumper)

How the he'll did you manage to find a reason to put Hill in your sledges in a game where so many players were below par? Any opportunity I guess:rolleyes:

Slaps:
Jones for his first half
Ward and Boyd got us back into the game in the third
Hall moved as well as he has all season and Murph was terrific

Sledges:
Griffen really struggled to get involved in the first half
Williams showed how he can struggle against a smart forward like Petrie

comrade
17-07-2011, 10:23 PM
I agree. I don't think Nth really dictated to us how the game would be played in any way, we didn't look like we were up for a physical contest with plenty of pressure so rolled the dice instead and subsequently got burnt.

So you're saying the game plan we went in with was to not compete physically in contested situations and just roll the dice if we did happen to win the ball?

Interesting approach if that's the case.

My take is that after we kicked 5 on the trot in the first quarter we collectively relaxed, especially in the midfield. Guys like Cooney and Boyd showed no respect to Wells and Swallow who got them back in the game.

I don't believe we went in wanting a shoot out. It turned out that way due to our inability to curtail their midfield and our structure fell apart completely when they got on top in the 2nd quarter (when the game was truly lost). Once we re-grouped at half time, our defensive press was better and we were able to stop their scoring and put on goals ourselves.

30 minutes of shocking football in the second quarter (and a bunch of junk time goals in the 4th) doesn't constitute a 'shoot out' game plan. It just confirms that many of our leaders are mentally fragile and can't stop a run on which has been a constant issue all year.

Stefcep
17-07-2011, 10:42 PM
slaps: 1. Ward 2. Bazza 3. no-one
sledges : everyone else.

Stlll not sure what all the hoopla`about Jones is. He takes the odd pack mark and.........what?

I called this a danger game because maybe we've got the chocolates more than they have in recent times, but, they've also towelled us up-esp Petrie- and blown games they outplayed us in, plus season on the line for them after a 100+ point loss.

Sedat
17-07-2011, 11:16 PM
So you're saying the game plan we went in with was to not compete physically in contested situations and just roll the dice if we did happen to win the ball?

My take is that after we kicked 5 on the trot in the first quarter we collectively relaxed, especially in the midfield. Guys like Cooney and Boyd showed no respect to Wells and Swallow who got them back in the game.

I don't believe we went in wanting a shoot out. It turned out that way due to our inability to curtail their midfield and our structure fell apart completely when they got on top in the 2nd quarter (when the game was truly lost). Once we re-grouped at half time, our defensive press was better and we were able to stop their scoring and put on goals ourselves.

30 minutes of shocking football in the second quarter (and a bunch of junk time goals in the 4th) doesn't constitute a 'shoot out' game plan. It just confirms that many of our leaders are mentally fragile and can't stop a run on which has been a constant issue all year.
The first qtr certainly felt like a false economy on general play, which unfortunately was proven in the next 30 minutes. Irrespective, to concede 70 inside 50's suggests a mindset from the players today to run and gun and expect the class differential to prevail.....it rarely does when the workrate isn't there.

Whether the players did or didn't go in wanting a shootout, that's exactly what transpired. I'm almost glad in a roundabout way to be exposed by a middle of the road team in a shootout because it surely spells the end of the run and gun style. Workrate and defensive intensity was lacking on every line tonight.

AndrewP6
17-07-2011, 11:19 PM
Slap: Good game from Baz today and becomes (I believe the first?) Player to kick 100 goals at 3 clubs. Fair effort.

True, his first goal was his 100th for us, and as you said, he's the first player to kick centuries at 3 clubs.

AndrewP6
17-07-2011, 11:23 PM
SLAPS

Baz - just terrific, gets it done when needed.
Ward - hard as, gives his all

SLEDGES

Boyd for some extremely poor disposal, and undisciplined free.
Most of the midfield and backs.

Greystache
17-07-2011, 11:55 PM
The first qtr certainly felt like a false economy on general play, which unfortunately was proven in the next 30 minutes. Irrespective, to concede 70 inside 50's suggests a mindset from the players today to run and gun and expect the class differential to prevail.....it rarely does when the workrate isn't there.

Whether the players did or didn't go in wanting a shootout, that's exactly what transpired. I'm almost glad in a roundabout way to be exposed by a middle of the road team in a shootout because it surely spells the end of the run and gun style. Workrate and defensive intensity was lacking on every line tonight.

My fear is we'll see the result a consequence of "not executing efficiently", rather than acknowledging it's almost impossible to execute well when you turn every disposal into a pressured one by continually playing on into defenders waiting to tackle you.

LostDoggy
17-07-2011, 11:56 PM
Sledge: With the last quater lasting over 34 minutes, we stopped trying at about the 29 minute mark. Thinking the game was over. Never give up even if there is 30 seconds left!

Sedat
17-07-2011, 11:59 PM
Sledge: With the last quater lasting over 34 minutes, we stopped trying at about the 29 minute mark. Thinking the game was over. Never give up even if there is 30 seconds left!
Percentage might end up being crucial between us, North and Freo in the run home. What should have been a 2 goal loss blew out unnecessarily in the last couple of minutes.

LostDoggy
18-07-2011, 12:09 AM
Percentage might end up being crucial between us, North and Freo in the run home. What should have been a 2 goal loss blew out unnecessarily in the last couple of minutes.

Even more so, that if we scored a goal we still have 5 minutes at that time to score another 2, instead of conceeding 3

The Pie Man
18-07-2011, 12:12 AM
I didn't watch Boyd intently, though I noticed at least twice tonight where we lost a contest he was either in or on the edge of, and just didn't bother to chase. Along with some bad turnovers, it was an ordinary look.

Reid's disposal isn't at the level required. One of their goals late in the second quarter he should have impacted the contest but chose to wait for the bounce and missed out.

If Hill is likely to seek a trade at season's close, I wonder if Grant will be far behind him. Could be anything, I hope it's positive and with us, but he can't serve that up anymore

I worry about Higgins when there's a loose ball to be won, he's become so slow.

Slap to Hall, was a good game with mobility. Considered Jones, though he still tries to mark on the chest when he should present hands. Continued encouraging signs though

Remi Moses
18-07-2011, 12:44 AM
Slaps- Ward (best midfielder)
Slaps- Barry( that goal was superb)
Slaps- Jones ( lead up forward role is developing nicely)
Slaps- Dahlhaus( good second half fightback)

Sledges- having Morris on Warren!( just dragged Dale away from the Petrie area)
Sledges- lack of Work ethic( not for the first time)
Sledges- huddo ( got massacred)
Sledge- The club for making last weeks win count for nought
Sledge- J Grant ( said previously little dinky tap ons and zero work ethic Is going to amount to a short league career

G-Mo77
18-07-2011, 01:30 AM
How the he'll did you manage to find a reason to put Hill in your sledges in a game where so many players were below par? Any opportunity I guess:rolleyes:

Yeah, any opportunity. :rolleyes:

Watch his piss poor efforts when he was out there. Nothing has changed with this guy and I never ever want to see him again. He's had enough chances.

Sorry to offend.

Slap - Josh Hill :rolleyes:

Happy Days
18-07-2011, 02:48 AM
Okay, can't sleep after watching that stuff, so here goes.

Slaps

Hall - Did what he should've done, outmuscled a lesser opponent and provided everything we needed in a target

Jones - First quarter marking was a real highlight. Bit quiet after that, but looked really good

Sledges

The midfield - Simply refused to work both ways (and Boyd copped a tag so we can't blame him). Look at the numbers;
Ziebell - 41 Touches
Wells - 33 Touches
Swallow - 36 Touches
Harvey - 26 Touches
These guys are probably, aside from Petrie, North's 4 best players, and we let them run riot, with no sense of ever getting to their defensive side. Ziebell in particular has shown over the season that his fitness isn't up to scratch, so for him to get 41 touches is outrageous.

Coaching - Rocket had a mare today. The forward press gameplan went totally bipolar, either not being implemented, or pressing up way too high, both of which resulted in a quick transfer of play from North's backline, leaving us exposed on the counter attack and giving them an open forward line full of one on ones. This is the reason that Petrie had 10 shots on goal, he can't be left one on one by himself.

Rocket blatantly refused to make moves throughout the game. It was obvious that Cross couldn't hang with Wells, but he left it the WHOLE GAME. When Williams was getting outbodied so easily by Petrie, one of two moves had to be made; either switch Markovic onto him, or drop a number behind the ball. Neither occured. He coached a stubborn game today, and it was immensely frustrating to watch.

Backline - Murphy got torched early, Morris had to be moved off of Edwards (really?) and on to Warren, who still probably beat him (REALLY), not to mention Tommy (although, in fairness to him, he was totally miscast today, should have taken Pedersen and been given an opportunity to play higher and play his game, rather than Brian Lake's). If Wood is going to be this amazing rebounding defender, he needs to touch the ball more.

Grant - You lazy, worthless waste of a top 5 draft pick. Blind faith due to his draft position is over from here. If you have sticky hands, maybe, I don't know, use them? If you have pace, then maybe try to run away from defenders with it? If nothing else, just take that extra step back off the mark so you don't kick it into the guy on it. No awareness, no workrate, absolutely pathetic today. Needs to show a sustained run of form in the VFL to earn back his place.

Hooper/Reid - Not up to it. When Sherman comes back and takes up all of Hooper's Joe the Gooses (Geece?) and he will offer absolutely nothing to the team. Hard to say it about Reid, given everything he's been through, but he just isn't very good.

chef
18-07-2011, 07:52 AM
Slaps
This horror season which is 2011 is finally over and we can start preparing for 2012(well I hope the club see it this way).

Sledge
Playing too much dumb football. One example, Boyd knocking over a player right in front of the umpires and giving away 50 meter penalty and a shot at goal. Why?

Players being pushed into the fence after going over the boundary line. Someone is going to get seriously hurt unless players start getting pulled up on this.

LostDoggy
18-07-2011, 08:59 AM
Sledge- inconsistency with the over mark infringements.
We copped one early, North later but a number of others North did weren't penalized. I remember at least 2 smothers from players over the mark without a word said.

LostDoggy
18-07-2011, 09:02 AM
Also not sure why we sledge Boyd for the late 50 because I doubt he got him high. You are still allowed to bump.

Mantis
18-07-2011, 10:02 AM
Rocket blatantly refused to make moves throughout the game. It was obvious that Cross couldn't hang with Wells, but he left it the WHOLE GAME. When Williams was getting outbodied so easily by Petrie, one of two moves had to be made; either switch Markovic onto him, or drop a number behind the ball. Neither occured. He coached a stubborn game today, and it was immensely frustrating to watch.

Cross only played on Wells in the 2nd half and did a reasonable job, but I guess the damage was done by that point.

chef
18-07-2011, 10:36 AM
Also not sure why we sledge Boyd for the late 50 because I doubt he got him high. You are still allowed to bump.

The ball was on our forward 50 line(a north player had it) and Boyd was on the other side of the center circle with an umpire pretty much next to him. You can't bump that far off the ball.

bornadog
18-07-2011, 10:49 AM
The ball was on our forward 50 line(a north player had it) and Boyd was on the other side of the center circle with an umpire pretty much next to him. You can't bump that far off the ball.

The 50 metre penalties are a joke. We were crusified once more. The one against Wood was disgraceful.

Mofra
18-07-2011, 10:51 AM
He was blocking spcae, it happens 100 times a game - if Wells hadn't of fallen over it wouldn't have been a free.
If we are going to sledge Boyd, it should be for the fact he was massacred in the centre tonight

Slap:
Jones - his contested marking was impressive, especially in H1

Sledge: whole midfield group getting caned

aker39
18-07-2011, 10:58 AM
The ball was on our forward 50 line

The ball was on the edge of the square, on our half forward line.

My question is, why did the 50m penalty take the North player to 40m out from their goal.

Mofra
18-07-2011, 11:00 AM

My question is, why did the 50m penalty take the North player to 40m out from their goal.
It was paid & measured from the infringement on Wells, not from the ball carrier's position.

Mantis
18-07-2011, 11:00 AM

Because the umpire in question can't tell the difference between 50m & 70m.

Ozza
18-07-2011, 11:05 AM
Slaps:
Hall and Jones' contested marking.

Sledge:
Work rate in the midfield seemed to be down.
Stoppages we were hopeless.
Boyd had a stinker (has been in great form - but horrible accountability and ball use this week)
Overuse of the ball with handball coming out of defense cost us plenty of goals.

Sedat
18-07-2011, 11:20 AM
He was blocking spcae, it happens 100 times a game - if Wells hadn't of fallen over it wouldn't have been a free.
Shane McInernay.....say no more.

LostDoggy
18-07-2011, 11:40 AM
Sledge: 2011

Slap: Those who know it's time to move on.

Twodogs
18-07-2011, 12:49 PM

It was paid & measured from the infringement on Wells, not from the ball carrier's position.

Because the umpire in question can't tell the difference between 50m & 70m.

In a game of inches isnt it time we had a more reliable or scientific method for measuring a 50 metre penalty than just what a particular person reckons it to be? We see all types of variations on the theme from 30 metre penalties to 70 metre penalties.

Surely it cant be hard to have a properly measured 50 metre piece of string or some other material on thew umpire's person. Then it can be tacked down at one end and the 50 metres can be measured properly. If you think it might look a bit daggy, really? The umpires happily march out decked in pink uniforms.

Mantis
18-07-2011, 12:51 PM
Surely it cant be hard to have a properly measured 50 metre piece of string or some other material on thew umpire's person. Then it can be tacked down at one end and the 50 metres can be measured properly. If you think it might look a bit daggy, really? The umpires happily march out decked in pink uniforms.

You cannot be serious.... Can you?

1eyedog
18-07-2011, 01:29 PM

My take is that after we kicked 5 on the trot in the first quarter we collectively relaxed, especially in the midfield. Guys like Cooney and Boyd showed no respect to Wells and Swallow who got them back in the game. I don't believe we went in wanting a shoot out. It turned out that way due to our inability to curtail their midfield and our structure fell apart completely when they got on top in the 2nd quarter (when the game was truly lost). Once we re-grouped at half time, our defensive press was better and we were able to stop their scoring and put on goals ourselves.

Is this a coaching or player issue? Who issues the directives for Boyd and Cooney to play defensively when they are getting beaten, the players themselves or the coach? It seems to me that neither Boyd or Cooney were given defensive roles, or anything other than attacking role to be honest, which they couldn't do either. Cross and Picken got defensive roles as per usual but what was the Griffen match up all about? Griffen on Wells went on way, way too long and then Cross was the wrong option after that. What was Griffen doing on Wells anyway, tagging? It didn't work and Griffen got very little of the ball in then 1st half.

Rocket should have told Boyd to follow Wells and try to hurt him the other way where he got the opportunity. I'm sick of Boyd trying to play like Chris Judd. Wells tore shreds off us in the first half and a move should have been made after his 10th first quarter disposal.

SLAPS:
Jones marks really well for a young player.
Barry Hall kept us alive with a viable inside 50 option
Ward tried hard and would have been BOG if he had support
For a young player Dahlhaus tries very hard

SLEDGES:
Boyd's block was a critical error
Hooper was unsighted
Reid runs like a grizzly bear and struggles to get near it
Gilbee appears in no mans land at the moment
Barry Hall's point blank miss cost us
Rocket, don't think you got your match ups right to implement the game plan you wanted to.

1eyedog
18-07-2011, 01:41 PM

They are supposed to turn around from the point of the free kick (the mark) and jog out 50 paces. If they can't do that then they can't follow instructions and certainly should not be out there officiating. Sorry I'll get this multi-quote thing worked out one day.

Happy Days
18-07-2011, 01:46 PM
Cross only played on Wells in the 2nd half and did a reasonable job, but I guess the damage was done by that point.

Yeah, now that the vitrioil is gone, I realise you're right (I think he went head to head with Griff or Cooney in the first half). The point still remains that something should have been done about the match up earlier than it was though.

aker39
18-07-2011, 02:00 PM

Which is 100% wrong.

Another disgrace from McInerney.

G-Mo77
18-07-2011, 02:08 PM
Which is 100% wrong.

So the 50 should have came from the original free kick?

The commentators said that it was the correct call although I have little confidence in what they have to say most of the time.

LostDoggy
18-07-2011, 02:11 PM
Is this a coaching or player issue? Who issues the directives for Boyd and Cooney to play defensively when they are getting beaten, the players themselves or the coach? It seems to me that neither Boyd or Cooney were given defensive roles, or anything other than attacking role to be honest, which they couldn't do either. Cross and Picken got defensive roles as per usual but what was the Griffen match up all about? Griffen on Wells went on way, way too long and then Cross was the wrong option after that. What was Griffen doing on Wells anyway, tagging? It didn't work and Griffen got very little of the ball in then 1st half.

Rocket should have told Boyd to follow Wells and try to hurt him the other way where he got the opportunity. I'm sick of Boyd trying to play like Chris Judd. Wells tore shreds off us in the first half and a move should have been made after his 10th first quarter disposal.
SLAPS:

SLEDGES:
Hooper was unsighted
Rocket, don't think you got your match ups right to implement the game plan you wanted to.

Interesting point - I noticed at one time that Harvey was tagging either Cooney or Boyd (can't remember now). It meant that picken was chasing harvey who was chasing one of our premium mids. Not sure how long this went on but must have resulted in Wells or Zeibell being free for significant periods of time.

We have to be better than this. Clearly something in the midfield is not working. I think even last last week we were lucky not to be blown out of the water in the first half as they got a roll on against us. We had a fantastic second half but maybe there wasn't a sufficient review of what happened when Carlton skipped out to a 5 goal lead.

aker39
18-07-2011, 02:17 PM
So the 50 should have came from the original free kick?

The commentators said that it was the correct call although I have little confidence in what they have to say most of the time.

Absolutely. He effectively awarded them a 70m penalty.

This is the same umpire who in the 2009 prelim, while the ball was on the wing, paid us a free kick off the ball in the St Kilda forward 50m. The free kick should have been paid where the ball was (the wing), which was the greatest advantage. He paid it to us where the free kick occurred.

Both very basic rules that any half decent umpire should know.

Sedat
18-07-2011, 02:31 PM
I recko we missed a trick by not putting Picken onto Wells. North and Harvey would have been expecting Picken to go straight to him, but Wells is their key offensive midfield weapon and needed to be stopped moreso than Harvey IMO. Harvey could have been taken by Morris had he gone forward instead of Morris constantly getting dragged out of the defensive 50 by Ben Warren - Brad Scott had a very good night in the box to be fair.

1eyedog
18-07-2011, 03:29 PM
I recko we missed a trick by not putting Picken onto Wells. North and Harvey would have been expecting Picken to go straight to him, but Wells is their key offensive midfield weapon and needed to be stopped moreso than Harvey IMO. Harvey could have been taken by Morris had he gone forward instead of Morris constantly getting dragged out of the defensive 50 by Ben Warren - Brad Scott had a very good night in the box to be fair.

True, but Picken kept Harvey quiet for 3 quarters. As soon as Picken went off injured Harvery tore us a new one and had a coupleof goal assists early in the last when it was fairly even. He then iced it with one himself later in the quarter.

Sedat
18-07-2011, 03:49 PM
True, but Picken kept Harvey quiet for 3 quarters. As soon as Picken went off injured Harvery tore us a new one and had a coupleof goal assists early in the last when it was fairly even. He then iced it with one himself later in the quarter.
Picken was pretty good on Harvey but I just think he was needed on a more dangerous opponent and in a more critical part of the ground. Wells was absolutely electrifying in the first half and was the main driver in their 2nd qtr dominance. Also would have made North react to our match-ups instead of the other way around.

Mofra
18-07-2011, 04:09 PM
Which is 100% wrong.

Yup, and given the run of these free kicks paid at the start of 2010 you'd think they have it down pat by now

AndrewP6
18-07-2011, 07:36 PM
SLAPS:

SLEDGES:
Hooper was unsighted

A slap and a sledge? Is this a world first? :)

SonofScray
18-07-2011, 07:53 PM

Barry has been given the old one-two!

His goal on the run was a ripper, he marked well and looked slightly more nimble. He is certainly playing more freely in recent weeks but I think he will need to pull the pin at the end of the year.

AndrewP6
18-07-2011, 07:56 PM
Barry has been given the old one-two!

His goal on the run was a ripper, he marked well and looked slightly more nimble. He is certainly playing more freely in recent weeks but I think he will need to pull the pin at the end of the year.

Yep, for sure. I just hope there's plenty of strong grabs and goals before then. And I reckon they ought to keep him on in some sort of goalkicking coach role.

Remi Moses
18-07-2011, 08:51 PM
Sledge- Norf fan just on 3AW said Brad Johnson's special comments yesterday were to biased towards us!
Ummm Johnno did the Swans. v Freo Game:rolleyes:Always moaning , Always playing the Victim

Ghost Dog
18-07-2011, 08:56 PM
Yep, for sure. I just hope there's plenty of strong grabs and goals before then. And I reckon they ought to keep him on in some sort of goalkicking coach role.

The problem for us was an older player about to retire ( Barry ) and our very young players ( Dahl, Ward ) were our best. We have holes in our team where our 150-200 gamers should be kicking in. Murph, who is usually good, turned it over terribly last night.
Lindsay, looked a bit lost. Boyd, not bad, not outstanding. Cross, same.
We have to axe a few players.

1eyedog
18-07-2011, 10:22 PM

Ha Ha. He was fantastic but should not have missed that one. He sets high standards for himself and deserved a sledge for it. It was a critical miss.

Murphy'sLore
19-07-2011, 12:31 PM
Ha Ha. He was fantastic but should not have missed that one. He sets high standards for himself and deserved a sledge for it. It was a critical miss.

Just as he was lining up for that one, I allowed myself to think, 'Ah, Baz, he never misses these, you feel so safe when the ball's in his hands...' Famous last thoughts.

Twodogs
19-07-2011, 12:53 PM

I'm absolutely serious. It's a no-brainer, the sort of thing they will introduce and everyone will say "why werent we doing it like this from day one of the 50 metre penaly" No-one steps exactly a metre. No-one should have to 'guestimate' how far 50 metres is. Like I say it's a game of inches and to leave umpires guessing how long 50 metres is unfair on them.

The Coon Dog
19-07-2011, 12:57 PM
I'm absolutely serious. It's a no-brainer, the sort of thing they will introduce and everyone will say "why werent we doing it like this from day one of the 50 metre penaly" No-one steps exactly a metre. No-one should have to 'guestimate' how far 50 metres is. Like I say it's a game of inches and to leave umpires guessing how long 50 metres is unfair on them.

I guess they could have a pedometer type thing attached to their shorts where they push a button to start it & it measures out the distance. Be more subltle than Yankee football where they bring out the chains to measure yardage.

Personally I don't think they need it, just use guesstimation as they do when determining if a kick travels the required distance or how far someone has run with the ball.

Hot_Doggies
19-07-2011, 01:01 PM

AFL umpires would know how many steps 50metres would be, eg 60 jogging steps.

The same as a pro golfer/caddy know exactly how big their step is.

Twodogs
19-07-2011, 01:18 PM
I guess they could have a pedometer type thing attached to their shorts where they push a button to start it & it measures out the distance. Be more subltle than Yankee football where they bring out the chains to measure yardage.

Personally I don't think they need it, just use guesstimation as they do when determining if a kick travels the required distance or how far someone has run with the ball.

A pedometer is a much better idea. You would want it to be as inobtrusive as possible.

Sockeye Salmon
19-07-2011, 01:23 PM

Why don't they do it like rugby and let the bloke kick it and the new mark is where it lands

LostDoggy
19-07-2011, 02:20 PM
Though the kick where it lands is sound alright I think it will slow it down even further. I know in soccer they estimate wall distances on frees,why can't the ump be told from upstairs for a closer estimate?

bornadog
19-07-2011, 02:46 PM
At the end of the day, the penalty is too harsh in the way its used. There is no consistency and we have had 5 goals kicked against us direct from 50 metre penalties in the last two weeks. I am really sick and tired of the AFL and the umpires and rules committee on the way they have ruined this great game.

Nuggety Back Pocket
19-07-2011, 05:26 PM

In a game that was there for the taking our lack of accountability in the midfield apart from Ward who is an emerging star, was a major disappointment. Hooper doesn't look good enough to play simply as a forward pocket crummer. The same could be said of Sam Reid and Josh Hill which showed up our lack of depth. It might be time to move forward by elevating Roughead, Liberatore and Wallis.

LostDoggy
19-07-2011, 06:28 PM
In a game that was there for the taking our lack of accountability in the midfield apart from Ward who is an emerging star, was a major disappointment. Hooper doesn't look good enough to play simply as a forward pocket crummer. The same could be said of Sam Reid and Josh Hill which showed up our lack of depth. It might be time to move forward by elevating Roughead, Liberatore and Wallis.

I agree.

LostDoggy
19-07-2011, 06:30 PM
Though the kick where it lands is sound alright I think it will slow it down even further. I know in soccer they estimate wall distances on frees,why can't the ump be told from upstairs for a closer estimate?

With GPS tracking etc this stuff should be easy and accurate.